anyone here actually recovered

angie007

Hi Guys,

Has anyone here actually recovered from paxil or any psychotropic medication,

seems there is plenty available information on withdrawal, but not too much good news

when it comes to recovery!!!!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

That's A question I would like the answer to also.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

• Administrator

c'mon, angie and squirrel. You know the answer to that one.

Yes, people have recovered, but they have no need of support forums like this one!

Look at Hopeful's Intro topic. (She has family issues right now and will be back soon.)

I am trying to get a couple of recovered people to post if they can take the time out from their busy, recovered lives.

I sure hope when you recover, you will continue to visit here and give encouragement to others.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I for one, most definatly will be only too glad to post a recovery story here

to help others along the way and i know squirrel will too.

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

Yes, people do recover. I have read several stories from others who have fully recovered even if it took "some" time. From 6 months to 7 years. A member from the other forum recently posted a positive update after 3 years being fully back to normal. He considered himself to be one of the most severe cases concerning symptoms and the first 2 years were hell for him. But he recovered!

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Yes this sometimes gives me the creeps too... I had a first nice window at about 20 months, but nw at more than 3.5 years I am still far from recovered although symtomes have changed and are still evolving... I really hope to be out of the woods at 4 years, but I know that is is not unlikely that even more time is needed. 7 years is still beyond my imagination... :angry: :angry:

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

I really believe that i am the youngiest here in terms of first taking the medication, now i dont know if ican ever recover and the thought of going back on that drug keeps poopping in my head! Cause i so want to sleep gooood! And rejoin my frieds which i cant do because i am disabled but i also know i am only 27 and if i dont fix it now i will regret later cause i can live for a long time and i dont want to be brain dead!

If i do heal, i will devote time and effort in helpig others withdrawal off those medications! Thats my promise to the world!

• Administrator

Thank you for adding your kind spirit to the site, ser. You've just done your nervous system a favor by thinking of helping others -- this generates good neurohormones.

People do recover, and you will, too! Be patient and take care of yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

This is the main question I have... I guess I am looking for hope. I can't imagine going on much longer how I feel now, and it's only been a few months. 7 years! That can be very discouraging. But at the same time, whoever that was held on.

I used to recommend people going on antidepressants and feeling no shame about it. I feel awful about that now. If I had only known... I should have suspected nothing good could come of taking ANY medication for so long.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 4 weeks later...

I can find NO information on people who have successfully quit SSRI's after long term use. Does this mean they don't exist? Does it just mean that those suffering the most are the ones most likely to turn to a blog such as this one? It is so discouraging. I am one who feeds off of energy and I feel like I'm scrambling for positive experiences and am coming up empty handed. This is just making me feel worse! I have been off for a month on Saturday. I did have one severe episode and a few days of moderate depression last week, but seem to be doing better and managing withdrawals (yet fearful it is only short term). If I knew that it was possible to ride this out and manage my emotions it would be so much easier! I seem to keep reading blogs about people who are still dealing with debilitating problems years and years after quitting. I'm sorry, but if that is what to expect than I would rather just take the pills and not live in misery. I just don't understand why it is so hard to find a positive outcome! I am very grateful for the people on this blog that share their experiences... I guess I'm just frantically searching for something that may not even exist.

Extreme fear of death since I can remember/ severe anxiety as a child/ first panic at 10 which lasted about two months and reoccurred three years later and again four years later with each episode lasting months/ started paxil in 1997, switched to zoloft around 2002 then to effexor in 2004 for a month then to lexapro which I remained on until three weeks ago. Last dose taken three weeks ago. Just beginning to experience reoccurring anxiety , OCD and depression.P

• Administrator

Yes, there are many, many people who have successfully quit antidepressants. They don't visit sites like this one because they don't have the need for them.

I am trying to get people who have recovered from withdrawal to post their stories.

Don't worry, it can be done.

Thank you :o) I made a commitment to myself to keep a well documented journey so that I can help people and hopefully share my recovery to help others!

Extreme fear of death since I can remember/ severe anxiety as a child/ first panic at 10 which lasted about two months and reoccurred three years later and again four years later with each episode lasting months/ started paxil in 1997, switched to zoloft around 2002 then to effexor in 2004 for a month then to lexapro which I remained on until three weeks ago. Last dose taken three weeks ago. Just beginning to experience reoccurring anxiety , OCD and depression.P

Sorry I just noticed the above postings regarding the same topic...is ignorance another withdrawal symptom lol

I know of one lady who has recovered and she was on 20mgs a day for 11 years. It took about 4 years to start recovery and 5 years to get her life back. She had a very bad w/d and had fits to add to all the other symptoms. She now does not contact me as she is fed up with talking about seroxat and wants to get on with her life.

She always said that it was TIME that would be what healed us all, just taking more time for some than others.

poodlebell

I know of one lady who has recovered and she was on 20mgs a day for 11 years. It took about 4 years to start recovery and 5 years to get her life back. She had a very bad w/d and had fits to add to all the other symptoms. She now does not contact me as she is fed up with talking about seroxat and wants to get on with her life.

She always said that it was TIME that would be what healed us all, just taking more time for some than others.

poodlebell

I can understand this too well and in fact gives me hope. I am almost at 4 years and still not recovered although I have some hope for complete recovery one day within the next 2 years or so. And indeed, just as this lady, I hope that I can then really put this behind me and stop talking/writing/thinking about it.

Of course people must speak out and I really admit and utterly respect the people who have made this their mission. I helped some people by warning them and advicing them about proper tapering and referring them to SA or the other site. But I want to be free of this one day and still wonder whether recovery really can come after such a long, long time.

Posts like this give me new hope for this, 4-6 years appear to be not uncommon for the really severe cases.

after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

The question I always ask myself is, what are severe cases? Are they severe because of the length that it takes to recover or are they severe because of the symptoms?

I just wonder, because I could work again after 13 or months, that i am surely not a "severe" case, but still take a long time to recover as compared to other people.

End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

The question I always ask myself is, what are severe cases? Are they severe because of the length that it takes to recover or are they severe because of the symptoms?

I just wonder, because I could work again after 13 or months, that i am surely not a "severe" case, but still take a long time to recover as compared to other people.

I think it is the combination. If one has severe symptoms but only for some weeks or even months, the impact on your life is limited. And if the sypmtoms persist longer but are not debilitating, one can still function. I had the most severe WD imaginable and now homebound for 3.5 years, lost my job, lost about 1/3 of my savings due to impulsive stock speculations, sought confrontation with an old enemy in a very dangerous way... and without financial and emotion support I would almost certainly have given up.

But I still want to believe that even the most severe cases CAN recover in the long run and that is is possible to build a new life and career.

Hi Maybe,

I am not sure it really helps to label cases as severe vs. not severe. I think the issue of WD is so complex that that is a losing game.

Like you, I can work and as a result, people may think I am doing great. But I feel non functional in many areas of my life. However, calling my case severe doesn't seem right.

See why think these labels don't help?

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Yes, i guess you are right. It just serves no purpose. There are too many "inbetweens". I just hope that we all will see the light at the end of the tunnel soon, as many others have done so before us.

I sometimes wonder if there is any hope for those like me, who went on meds at a young age for an anxious personality and longstanding problems.

I havent resolved those problems, and I suffer withdrawal too, it feels like I've been hit by a double whammy and will never escape. Both effect each other.

Sorry for being depressing but this is genuinely what I think of my own situation.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

I sometimes wonder if there is any hope for those like me, who went on meds at a young age for an anxious personality and longstanding problems.

I havent resolved those problems, and I suffer withdrawal too, it feels like I've been hit by a double whammy and will never escape. Both effect each other.

Sorry for being depressing but this is genuinely what I think of my own situation.

Phil,

You are older now and not the same person you were back then. Are you in a different situation now than when you were first put on the drugs? I think the experience of withdrawal forces us to face up to the anxieties and other issues that led us to these drugs in the first place. I believe it makes us stronger. I would have preferred another way to get stronger, but we have what we have.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

Thanks for your reply Patience,

I suppose I am different now, I've changed a lot and learnt a lot of things about dealing with anxiety and so on over the years.

I feel like it's too much to deal with both, I mean dealing with withdrawal is hard enough for people who didnt have these issues to start with.

But I suppose you're right though, it does make us stronger. I guess we have to find a way that works for us.

How i can relate and empathise with everything that is written here, i suppose because of my long term use 14yrs on paxil, i too am scared.

yes i am older now than i was 14yrs ago , i fear everything, symptoms, never getting better, the things i think, the crying, so not like me, in

fact like Nadia, i dont know who i am anymore - that scares me too.

Its odd that on better days we do not think or feel this way, guess today is just another rotten day in paxhell, but none the more for that,

still scary just the same.

I tihnk the WD indeed forced us to think and learn about ourselves. I would surely have preferred to smoothen down trhe proces by taperiong slowly but it is too late for that and indeed we have what we have... Being so long unable to function and being dependent on financial support this misery also learned me who were there to help me and who not. My family relations have changed because of that.

I would never have made it without that support and I am utterly grateful for the good people (mother, friends, therapist) who did not lost patiene and confidence in me. But also I am very scared, al though I feel a lot of change and some symptoms are gone. But after almost 4 years I am really sick of it...

I still believe we can recover. But it can take many, many years. And above all, the unbelievable bad way we were "treated" by the medical community in which we put our trust on is a bloody shame I will never forget nor forgive.

Can we emerge stronger from this? Can someone who survives a bad accident and has to live with residual sypmtoms get "stronger" fron that? In some sense it is possible, everythin you learned, every knowledge you absorb and may help you in the future or able to help others makes you stronger in a way.

We will never fall in the deadly trap of psych meds again. And we will be very cautious in trusting people just because of their position or status.

I have leaned so much from this, to be content with what I have , not to worry about stupid things and mostly that i am a lot stronger than i give myself credit for.I will never ever trust another doctor again as long as i live.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

Nor will I. There has been done so much damage to people who were just trusting the wisdom of doctors, it is unbelievable. When I was in hospital for 3 months, on a psychosomatic ward, one of the docs told a patient who was taking Effexor that he should just dumb it, for nothing bad can happen.

And when I told my story the head physician said that I could have taken gummi bears instead. The pills were not the reason for my problems.

I will never ever take anymore pills, only if my life depends on them.

According to a person i became friends with many years ago on the other site, who also took paxil and had an horrendous wd. She is now 7 years away from paxil and also had 2 children going through wd too, she is doing so much better, but still has residual issues, but.... i remember many many months ago, she sent me an email, her psychiatrist was DR Stuart Shipko and he told her back then, that wd from paxil can take 5-8 years for some people. this person did a ct from 20mg byn the way, and please, i havent written this to scare anyone that has done the same, wd is so unpredictable, symptoms in each of us may be similar, but recovery time is varies with the individual.

I recently got in contact with Dr. Shipko, he appears to be one of the good and knowing docs. He told me about the same. We will heal from this but it can take years. Just as dr. Davis Healy told us before. I am determined not to give my life to this misery and know that healing will come. Building a new life and a new career is the next step. And the difficult thing is that we are pretty unable to explain our srory to employers. But we will make it. At 45 months I am emotionally pretty stable now and know better than ever what I want with my life and my career. But the remaining symptoms have to vanish.

Tonight I went to a pub with a friend an told him I will give a great party when I am healed from this. And it will be the best party of my life :)

I want to be at that party!

But it is so hard to get even close friends and family to "believe" what I am going through. I get a lot of "how about a glass of warm milk to help you sleep at night" type advice. Or even, "smoke some pot and have a beer".

Sometimes I wish I could load up a one minute version of what it feels like when my symptoms are at their worst for people so they could see I am not exaggerating.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

But it is so hard to get even close friends and family to "believe" what I am going through. I get a lot of "how about a glass of warm milk to help you sleep at night" type advice. Or even, "smoke some pot and have a beer".

It's things like this that annoy me, people really don't take it seriously at all!

It's a shame that we don't know if tapering reduces the length of recovery time afterwards. I would hope that all my time and effort tapering hasnt been a waste although I suspect it wont change much for me.

Hi Phil,

Yes me too buddy, if i just knew that my long 56 month taper was going to pay off in some way, it would make things easier,

but... its the not knowing, and no one can actually tell us, i have to say, that i dont seem to have escaped much in the way

of symptoms so far, but who knows what the future holds or what lays in store for either of us.

We may get a nice surprise after all, but i cant allow myself to believe that just yet, as i cant stand the thought of being

disappointed - we have had too much of that already , so for now,im here with the rest us, trying to put one foot in front of

the other, hoping and praying that at some stage, ALL of us will recover and build our lives again with minimal issues left, which

i can only pray will be minimal and tolerable for us all.

Great posting, Claudius!

That's what I always have in mind, a great party when this is over :lol:

I just read about a fellow Lexapro "user" who only took 3 pills and it took him 3,5 years to recover, but he did. That saved my day. I am sure that I will overcome this mess as well, just hope that I will be out of the woods a bit faster ;)

Most people whom I tell my story, believe me. Many find it very shocking, though it is of course hard to really understand. I cannot even describe how bad it can be, I am often just missing the words. My mom helped me from the beginning, my dad needed some time to believe me. He thought it was my psyche for some time. Even though they cannot help me, they support me all the time. I am glad for this. On the other side, I lost some of my oldest and closest friends during this time.

@Angie and Phil:

As far as I know tapering definitely increases the chances of a symptom free or faster recovery. Of course every individual is different, but I think your chances are good that you will not have such a long time in wd. The statistics are on your side there :)

Hey Maybe,

Thank you for that my friend, symptom free wd, wow ive never heard of it hahaha, but then again,anyone who experienced that wouldnt come to

sites like this for help, how i wish i was one of those lol, still never mind, today mood hasnt been good, jittery, teary, low, think ive

fallen into that trap of the worse i feel, the less i do, the less i do, the worse i feel, and im looking into ways of breaking that horrible

cycle, which starts with the altered thinking, altered feeling and altered behaviours - im sure most here will understand that.

I can so understand where your coming from though, i have trouble explaining how i feel and what i am going through, normal people really

have no concept of how bad it can be, so ive given up, and try to carry on and hope i appear normal in front of others. I use this site for

the support i need, sorry guys, have no other form and its hard alone. Maybe, i also lost so many friends going through this, you are so not alone,

thank you for your encouragement regards slow tapering tho, but, the fact that many have an adverse effect after a few pills, scares me, but to see

others recover also helps enormously, guess my long term use is the problem i struggle with, the fact that ive tapered so slowly and for so long,

and the fact it hasnt always shielded me from the worst of symptoms has me wondering if indeed it will play out in the long run as in recovery time,

to have been worth while.

Hey maybe, your sounding so much better these days my friend, i truly hope im reading that right, and thank you so much for your kind words as always.

@Maybe, it is at least good you parents and most friends believe you. It makes it at least at bit easier to bear. I am pretty lucky in that sense too. THe first 20 month in WD I had no idea what happened to me, only then I found out about WD on the other site. Because I had also a lot of emotional stuff to digest (bullying past, some horrific managers, a tough career in ICT) and those things poppud up in a horrendous way, I sstill thought I had some major burnout and that was the cause of my awful symptoms. It was the most scary and terrible time of my life.

But my mother believes me, most of my friends do and so did my employer (I have lost the job now after more than 3 years off work). Only my sister, being herself on Paxil, does not. Merely she believes that this is the proof that "I needed meds" and always urged me to visit a clinic of psychiatry for "diagnose" and "medicine advice". Of course the worst advice ever, altough it is not her fault that psychiatry is so erratic and I stil find it hard to believe that a "low" dose of a legal med had done so intensely much harm to us.

MY explanation now, in line with the opinion of dr. Shipko, is that our problem is not classic withdrawal (which indeed does not take years) but an adverse reaction to the med which can occur after each dose change, starting, quitting or reducing too fast. This makes it a bit easier to explain.

MY explanation now, in line with the opinion of dr. Shipko, is that our problem is not classic withdrawal (which indeed does not take years) but an adverse reaction to the med which can occur after each dose change, starting, quitting or reducing too fast. This makes it a bit easier to explain.

hi,

i would add simply thoughts

for me paxil kills receptors in random, the body makes homeostasis constantly, when he is no more able to make the homeostasis balance (=tolerence=suffering)(drug taken or not, slow wean or fast), all is in chaos; and there exist also the "allergy" as for each product, one pill taken and the nervous system is in chaos;

and how many time needs a body to regain a kind of homeostasis which gives a human to live near normal: 2, 3 or more years;

with nerves we do not speak months but years;

what agravates this maybe: duration taken, high doses, multiples meds, stop abruptly, body weak ...as for each poison

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy