SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Please Help! -- serotonin

serotonin

Hi I started taking prozac at age 16 and I have been on it since age 27. so about 10 years, for the first year it was 10 milligram, then i was updosed to 20 milligram, and most recently I have been taking 40 mill for 1 and half a year. The reason I quite prozac was because of severe sexual side effect, for example i had no libido!

I quite prozac in about 3 week, typering and i think I went to fast. The first month I didnt notice any problem, but gradualy I experienced more and more fatigue and dizzyness and sleep problem. Now 5 month into it I am experience severe fatigue, very poor sleep and at night i experience intense dreams. I am wondering if now I have chronic fatigue? what must i do now I been off of prozac for 5 month, the only good news is my libido is back, but the fatigue and the sleep problem is unbareable, please help me!

I am also taking omega 3 fish oil, saint john wort, 5 htp, passionflower,

PLEASE HELP!

Edited by Altostrata
added poster's name to Intro topic heading
  • Administrator

Welcome, seretonin.

Well, it's good news your libido is back. The rest sounds like classic withdrawal syndrome. If it started shortly after withdrawal, it is unlikely it is chronic fatigue syndrome.

According to the medical literature, one way to relieve withdrawal symptoms is to quickly go back on a small amount of the medication and taper more slowly. That's iffy in your situation because you've been off Prozac for 5 months.

I'm not a doctor; there are no guarantees this will work. It's up to you if you want to try this, Prozac comes in a liquid. You might try 5mg and see if it helps.

If it works, stay at 5mg for a few weeks and use the liquid to taper very slowly, 10% decreases every 3-4 weeks.

What do you think?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank you for responding :) Right now at this very second I actually feel no fatigue and I am fine! I think the fatigue comes from the intense night dreams I am experiencing, I wake up 3 or 4 times a night and everytime I feel tense muscle and very fast heart beat!

I really like this forum and believe everyone here to be very smart and unfortunately when we are depressed we are vulnerable to suggestions and in this case I was vulnerable to PROZAC which never really helped me. For 10 years I just believed what the doctor said! and look what it got me, but i have to admite seeing a psychologist for 2 years have solved all my depression problems! I want to get off the med.

the fatigue and the sleep disturbance happened gratualy, and because for the first 2 month i didn't really notice any difference except occasional fatigue, and headach i just thought it was minor, but after 3 4 and 5 month it became so severe, and now everyday i only get 6 or 7 hours of good time and the rest of the time I am fatigued and suffering! :)I hope it is not chronic fatigue :)

and do u think it is wise of me to take saint john wort, 5htp? I do know fish oil is really great!

and would u like to tell me a little bit about yourself and how u managed to defeat depression?

Oh hi alto i also notice u are one of the most active members on here! I would really like to help people like how u help everyone on here!

The truth is the thought of going back on prozac sickens me! I rather suffer through pain then go back on it!

But if nothing else works i will have to try 10 mg on 5 like u say and see how that works!

• Administrator

Hi, ser. I'm the site administrator.

Who am I? Good question. When I have time, I need to fill out my own Intro topic.

Really appreciate your energy, ser!

Did you see this: Researchers seek prolonged antidepressant withdrawal cases ? Send in your case history and help medicine understand this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Ok i definitely will and wish that nobody of 16 year age is forced onto this drug! When i was prescibded prozac every pschiatrist i talked to, told me it was safe and i can take it for the rest of my life and no problem! They are so bs!

Lets share our story as to why we started the dangerous mind altering, brain damaging drug in the first place!

After going to therapy for 3 years, i understand that i started taking prozac at age 16 not because i was depressed but rather i was a child who had a very tough childhood, who was abandoned by his parents because all they did wad work and did not spent enough time with their little boy. Because i was young and very amateur for my age i desperately needed a way to convince my parents to give me the love that i never had, so my unconscious mind chose to take prozac as a means to convince them that i was depressed and terefore they will come together and give me the love that i never had!

• Administrator

ser, I moved your excellent suggestion her because many of us have complicated drug histories that are described in our intro topics.

Ok i definitely will and wish that nobody of 16 year age is forced onto this drug! When i was prescibded prozac every pschiatrist i talked to, told me it was safe and i can take it for the rest of my life and no problem! They are so bs!

Agree 1000 percent!

My pschia called me today asking how i am doing on my current medication. I told him i stopped taking it for 5month already! He was shocked and told me i have a chemical imbalance and that i am putting my life in danger and i must immediately go back on prozac 80mg! I am like no! Then he said why did u quite? I told him ss! An he said well we have new drug called viibryd and he would be more then happy to prescribe it for me! And he said he is worried cause i could become suicidal???? And i told him viibryd is like abilify! And he said no its not and i just got let the doctor do the job!

Well i guess i will go see him he told me i can get a month free supply! I am like wow that at least 500$ of drugs!

Oh yeh he also said i might be the first patient of his to take it and because i have seen him for so long and that i have a chemical imbalance!

• Administrator

He hasn't seen you in 5 months? That is unusual, that he would call you out of the blue. Business must be slow.

Many psychiatrists are waiting to see how Viibryd shakes out -- what kind of post-marketing reviews it gets -- before they prescribe it to their own patients.

Did it seem at all strange to you that a MEDICAL DOCTOR is trying to persuade you to take a new drug with a free taste first?

I'm sure he knows you do not have a chemical imbalance that needs medication.

A response to alto.

I have been seeing here since i first begin prozac, i remember being depressed and coming to his office! And he give me prozac 10mg free sample too for like a month.

He even told me that a lot of people take it just to get an energy boost and its not addictive some minor side effect and blah blah!

So here he is again calling me up! Viibryd another month of free sample! I think i will jusy go get it and store it somewhere...

It saddens me that you were put on such a drug at 16. This is why we all have to get the word out! We need to take control of our health and not be so quick to trust doctors! Doctors are trained to diagnose and treat. Treating almost always includes medication.

The truth is the thought of going back on prozac sickens me! I rather suffer through pain then go back on it!

I thought the same thing. OMG..... I have been back on my Lexapro (half dose) for a week now and can't believe I am not as dizzy as I was covered in migraines. It makes me SO ANGRY that all these drugs are just distributed like candy... keep hanging in there! I WILL succeed in tapering off of this stuff.

Age 11-Depressed~14-Use alcohol and drugs~20-Prozac~21-Zoloft~29-Paxil; Used for 2 yrs; took 5 yrs to recover memory back~39-Raw Thyroid for low T3 & take Prilosec~40-Zoloft stops working, so Lexapro; doesn't work; start counseling. Start 300mg Omega 3 Fish Oil & Vit B Complex. Feel better. Taper off Lexapro unsuccessful~41 (5/22/11)-Quit Lexapro, b/c pills at once. Breakdown at work~(6/26/11)-Start 5mg Lexapro to help WD symptoms~(6/30/11)-Feel better; Able to go back to work.~(9/6/11)- Better! Delay tapering.~(11/14/11)-Taper by skipping 4th day.~(11/20/11)-Crashed. Need another strategy.~(1/14/12)-Start 25mg Zoloft w/Lexapro. Taper to 1/4 Lexapro; success.~(2/17/12)-Stop Lexapro.~43 (2/12/13)-Am great; still on 25mg Zoloft.(9/13/14) Off all meds over a year! :)