SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

WiggleIt: Tardive dyskinesia & dystonia from TCAs/nortriptyline/desipramine; rapid taper & benzo trouble, too

WiggleIt

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm still in a really bad way. The reason I've been getting WORSE all these years on nortriptyline, desipramine, and Ativan is because they CAUSE bladder problems.  The doctors MISDIAGNOSED me with Interstitial Cystitis when I ONLY had Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, then they put me on something that is KNOWN to create bladder problems via SCREWING up the autonomic nervous system and muscle control! I have learned all this the hard way. If I had known that TCAs CAUSE bladder problems, I OBVIOUSLY wouldn't have agreed to go on them, since I wanted to FIX my bladder problems.

My bladder got worse and worse as the years went by.  And the STUPID DOCTORS couldn't tell me why.  I have no dietary sensitivity, no Lyme, no IBS, no pinpoint bleeding or Hunner's ulcers, no fibro, no endo, no pelvic surgeries, no PCOS, NOTHING else in my medical history pointing to IC. The ONLY thing in my medical history was a muscle injury that OBVIOUSLY pointed to PFD, but my doctors at Kaiser were too stupid to catch it. So what did they do? They put me on tricyclic antidepressants, which CAUSE bladder problems. They WORSENED and COMPLICATED a problem that USED TO BE EASILY FIXABLE before they put me on TCAs.

I HATE KAISER. I HATE DR. TOYA ELLIS, DR. MARY JO YOUNG, DR. ALEXANDER SHAPIRO, DR. MINA LEE. I HATE THE UROLOGY CENTER OF COLORADO WHO SENT ME TO MY FIRST PELVIC FLOOR THERAPIST WHO MADE EVERYTHING WORSE.

I HATE THE WHOLE MEDICAL COMMUNITY. I will even go so far as to say I HATE MY FAMILY MEMBER WHO IS A DOCTOR WHO SHOULD HAVE DONE MORE TO HELP ME WHEN I FIRST CAME DOWN WITH BLADDER PROBLEMS.  If he had BOTHERED to help me when I first hurt my pelvic muscle, maybe he could have helped me find appropriate treatment four years ago, but NO, he's a frigid doctor who couldn't be BOTHERED to help out his own blood.  Yes, he did tell me not to let any doctors give me meds, but he never BELIEVED me about my muscle injury.  So he never bothered to look into it, so he never helped me find appropriate physical therapy, so I eventually gave up and went on meds.

Fine, so it wasn't his fault as much as the OTHER doctors, but he is my FAMILY.  Why didn't he take an extra interest?  

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

WI, have only been following bits and pieces of your thread, but wanted to stop by and lend my support. It doesn't matter whether you were able to form a coherent thought to pray. God knows the need, and he knows your heart. Try to hang in there and believe He will see you through. I saw where you had a three week window. That is wonderful--and no, my windows are not clear either. I have managed to have a couple of partial days that are relatively clear, and I am grateful for them. The partial windows are still improvement, and they are all I had until very recently. I've also had some pretty bad waves, but I believe I've read there is healing going on even during the waves...? Praying for you, WI. Hang in there!

Knit, you are a saint. Thank you.

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm really not enjoying my temper, guys. In fact, my own temper is scaring me.

My whole life, I was a bubbly, gentle, patient person. Like, REALLY gentle.

This is scary. Can somebody please give me tips how to remember the gentle side of myself when this chemically induced temper imposes itself?

I really have not found any way to control it, WI. I've always had somewhat of a temper, and it is really out of control now. I'm thinking this is probably normal, but I'm not really liking it either :(

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

I feel the same WiggleIT. I also used to be a calm, patient person.  I was always highly sensitive, but never aggressive or temperamental. I started dating my bf just before I started withdrawal, he thinks I'm a very nice person, but he also knows I have a horrible side to myself. I've tried to tell him that is not the real me, but the damage done to my nervous system. He believes me, but I wish I could only show him my true self. 

I've become very good at recognising when my bad moods and thoughts are due to WD, and  I try to compare them with reactions and thoughts I have when I'm in a window (even if it's a little semi-window). I try to follow that guideline, so I can control myself a little bit more. This has helped me. It's kind of a CBT kind of approach, I guess. 

I really have hope that we will recover and be ourselves again. Or even better human beings. We have to stay positive, even when we're in a dark place

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

Hi WI, checking in to see how you are doing.

I am sorry for what you've figured out recently.  Many of us have had shocks along the way when we realized what drugs had been doing to us.  I recall finding out a drug I took years ago was responsible for a bout of "depression" I had, wasn't too pleased to learn that like more than a decade later.

About the anger, have you (and everyone else here) read the thread about neuro-emotions? Withdrawal will cause very heightened emotional reactions, this is pretty common.  Not sure if there are tips in that thread as to how to deal with them.  I often had to just walk away from situations where I felt too upset.  It does calm down over time, it's now resolved for me, I'm back to baseline now.

Also I couldn't tolerate fish oil but started eating more salmon in withdrawal, for omega three content and it seems it also helped a bit with this. I know you are having difficulties with eating so maybe this won't be relevant right now but as things improve maybe try adding more omega three foods in your diet and see if that doesn't help. 

And be gentle with yourself as much as you can.  I would feel so bad for feeling so upset about things and found that just fed the whole thing. The heightened emotions aren't you and are temporary, try not to get caught in the trap of thinking this will be your new identity as it's not true and will likely just make you feel that much worse.

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

I regret what I wrote about my family member. He's a great family member, but a typical doctor in certain respects.  But I need to learn to forgive him, because his intervention at another point in time actually SAVED my mom's life.  Completely saved her from death.  If it weren't for him, I wouldn't have a mother right now at all.  

So I will learn to forgive, because he is blood and he saved my mother's life.  

Thank you Sky, Cdav, and Knit for being so sweet to me.

Today was a window, with many physical symptoms less than usual and with cognitive function better.

The sensation of severe bladder urgency has been terrible today, though, and I have learned from other antidepressant cases that this IS a medication and withdrawal symptom, totally separate from my original pelvic muscle injury—which, let me stress again, would have been easily manageable ONLY with PT—but the docs GAVE me worse bladder problems by giving me meds that CAUSE neurological and muscular bladd problems.

I have heard of one other cold turkey case who suffered bladder issues that were later resolved.  I pray that God leads me down a path that I may become a case of complete recovery also.  I have fought very hard for years to recover my pelvic health.  Misdiagnosis, medical negligence, and incorrect prescribing of medication by doctors have made me significantly worse.  I don't believe God's plan for me here is to suffer.  I believe it is to good somehow.  May he allow me my health so that I may do more good and reach more people.   

• Moderator Emeritus

Bladder recovery stories please, ESPECIALLY from cold turkey cases?

• Moderator Emeritus

Why is the term "discontinuation syndrome" used when what is actually CHEMICALLY INDUCED BRAIN DAMAGE AND DISABILITY?  What a crock of LYING ****.

• Moderator Emeritus

All these years with doctors telling me meds would cure my bladder and it turns out the meds were harming it more.

Lord, please let me be one of the total recovery cases. So much damage has happened here. But what is not possible with men is possible with God. I don't believe you brought me here to suffer.

I don't believe you are leading me down this trail of bread crumbs just to lead me over a cliff. Please lead me somewhere else.

Bladder recovery stories please, ESPECIALLY from cold turkey cases?

WI, I have had bladder issues in withdrawal also and feel they have slowly been resolving.

I had a long period where I had to go often (so bad other people even noticed and worried I had diabetes.)  I also have had periods where I could barely go which was of course more distressing.  Several times nearly had to go to emergency because of it, once was almost put on drugs for an infection I was wrongly led to believe I had.

Tests came back clear.  I am sure it relates to withdrawal and honestly don't know enough about bladder issues to speculate what the specific problem is that the drugs caused, but it has gotten better. 

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• Moderator Emeritus

I had about three days good cognitive window.

SEVERE wave of whole body flopping, Big Wiggle started about an hour ago and restarts every time I try to fall asleep.

Please tell me this will resolve someday.

I think I have experienced my first brain zaps also as I tried to fall asleep. Face zaps, head tremors, something weird inside skull. Definite body zaps.

It was one week between episodes of a whole body Big Wiggle.

Please, I don't want to die, but I don't want to live like this.

Has anybody recovered from whole body flopping from a rapid taper or cold turkey?

We will recover Wiggle because God will not allow us to suffer forever. I truly believe this. I am praying for you. I feel a lot like you in that I don't see many similarities of my symptoms with others on this site and it causes fear and panic in me which magnifies everything. I am a cold turkey sufferer like you. I have doubts that I will ever recover due to cold turkey every day. ZI sm with you. Hugs.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

**I am with you.**

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

We will recover in spite of CT. We will.

You will get through it WI.  Please keep hanging on.  We're with you.

Is there any pattern to the big wiggles?  It may be nothing but I'm guessing the time had something to do with why you got this latest one.  Around early morning is when people get adrenal dumping from withdrawal. Normal bodily "alarm" to wake up gets exaggerated.  Could be why it happened when you said. 

Also zaps will clear up too, had them as well.  Scared me, had one that would shut my eye.  Gone after about a month, wasn't happening all the time. Many people have them, they clear up.

Hang on too Pugknows, I am a cold turkey survivor as well as a drug reaction survivor, and poly-drug survivor and have recovered from tons of stuff so far...Stuff I didn't think I could survive. 

Hang in there WiggleIt. I also had seizure-like movements on acute withdrawal fron Pristiq when falling asleep. They went away after about 3 months. Then I made the mistake of going on antidepressants and many other meds and not realising I needed to let my NS adapt by itself.

You will heal. Try to picture how being healthy will feel like, hold on to that thought.

-Effexor 150 mgs (2001-2009). Severe withdrawal symptoms during and after tapering for 6 months.  

-Pristiq 50 mg (2009-2012) Tapered over a year. Worst year of my life. 

-Prozac 20 mg (2012) Tapered over 6 moths to ease withdrawal. Still had severe WD symptoms. 

- (2012-2014) Doctor tried more than 20 medications for depression and WD, leaving me hypersensitive, and in protracted withdrawal. 

- Most debilitating symptoms during protracted withdrawal have been deep depression, anxiety, brain zaps, fatigue, akathisia, twitching, headaches and terrible PMS. 

-January 2015: Started Lamictal 12.5 mg, increased to 25 mg.- Bad reaction when updosed to 50 mg. Stopped. 

-February 2015: Doctor tried new antidepressant Brintellix - Horrible reaction. Discontinued completely. Severe AKATHISIA started.

-March 2015:  Started TMS therapy (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) for severe depression. Didn't work. 

-July 23-August 12: Had 10 ECT sessions which took away my protracted withdrawal symptoms including: akathisia, brain zaps, muscle twitches, fatigue and depression. Stopped medications. 

-September 2015: Experiencing bouts of depression again and muscle twitching. 

-March 2016: Started 20 mg Nortryptiline for depression. It helped. 

-August 2016: Slowly tapering Nortryptiline. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Shrieking and what is wrong with me and rocking and not making sense.

HELP ME.

Yes, I have had this too.

Many people have, it does go away.

I am sorry WI, it's so unfair what has happened.

WI, this is not a topic that belongs in Symptoms because it is directly relating to you. (this post was titled 'Autism like symptoms' and was merged into your intro thread.)

If you feel you are becoming severely ill then please seek medical help. Otherwise all we can do is support you and suggest you explore non-drug methods to help calm you down. Alto bumped some great links for this today:

see this post

Shrieking and rocking are not necessarily signs of autism, they are more like frustrated reactions to how you are feeling. If they are helping you, that is one thing. But if they are not, meditative breathing is much better.

Perhaps you would do well to read GiaK's journey to wellness on beyondmeds.com? She is also a mod here.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Def seeking medical attention. Just can't seem to GET any.

Thanks for responses, all.

CW, what I meant to say when I started that thread was to ask if anyone else has had symptoms that seem to mimic what some autistic people manifest. Since I was in a bad way, it did not come out as a question. Come to think of it, it barely came out as a sentence. What I would like to know is IF anyone else has experienced it. I guess I still don't understand completely when I should be posting in symptoms. I meant to ask if anyone else had it, which is why I went to the Symptom topic. But, obvs, I didn't actually manage to ASK anything.

I appreciate all the support I get here.

The moaning was as involuntary as the arm jerking is. It definitely all happened when I was in a state of fear. The state of fear happened because I felt new zaps in new places. New physical symptoms equalled new fear equalled major episode.

I didn't MEAN to cause protracted withdrawal for myself. Even the doctor who doesn't suck didn't know how to wean me off properly. He said I could down by ten mg doses every two weeks. Now, I found out that even THAT is considered fast. Because my side effects got so bad, an even faster taper happened, though.

And I didn't want to reinstate something that caused me such bad side effects while ON it. Reasonable, right?

Why is this happening to me? All I was trying to do was to get off the meds that were making me sick. How could I have known that getting off would make me even sicker? And why wasn't anybody around to protect me?

• Moderator Emeritus

I also had trouble talking during this episode. Like I WANTED to talk and was usually thinking coherently, but it all came out as shrieks and moans and whimpers and my mouth just didn't want to form words.

I have heard of this before and people went on to recover. WestCoast had the wiggle for a while, she no longer has it as far as I know. She describes it in her thread, also I'm sure if you sent her a PM, she would be happy to give you details that may encourage you.

Praying for you. I'm so sorry you are in this fix. I still can't fathom how we all got here. Tragic.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

WI,

If you are not going to try reinstating a small amount of your drug to see if it relieves some of the worst of the wd symptoms you are having now, then what can we say? You will have to just hang on through this and wait till it subsides. We have no other advice other than what is in the Symptoms and self care forum. Continuing to seek out those who have had the same thing will not take it away from you, you must still bear it as best you can. Finding a specific recovery story too is impossible and no amount of convincing you that you will get through this does not appear to have much effect.

I am at a loss as to what else to suggest. Fish oil and magnesium, practicing calm and doing lots of distracting activities is about it. It is all I did for a whole year and I got better. You will too. We just don't know when.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I certainly wish I didn't sound so despairing, but the repeated words convincing me I will get through this actually DO have a positive effect.  Your words aren't falling on deaf ears.  They just fall on ears that currently need a lot of reminding ;) Every time I come here and freak out and read something encouraging, I do walk away a little better.

All the good doctors here are completely booked up and I'm having the worst time being able to get in with ANYBODY in a timely fashion.  So far, March is the earliest.  I live in a state that has become overpopulated VERY quickly and there aren't enough resources here to accommodate the boom. 

RI is SUCH a cluster of probs for me, for a variety of reasons.  I wish I could just say, "Okay, I'll reinstate the 1 mg," but it truly isn't that easy.  Extreme caution, obviously, since I'm getting far out and don't want to flare the symptoms any worse, which I've read here can be an especial concern for the movement disorder sufferers.  I've had no luck finding any doctor locally with the knowledge to help me, which has kept me from being able to obtain a compound script.  Lastly, if I try to do it myself, the pills are so tiny that I don't know how on earth I could possibly manage to chop down between 1-3 mg from a 30 mg pill, and I certainly do not want to dose wrong and inadvertently endanger myself.  These are just the realistic roadblocks I've encountered, partially from caution and also from practicality.  

Besides, as awful as I sound, part of me must still be a pretty tough cookie to have made it through the past 2.5 months, even if I'm not making it through as gracefully as others.  Regardless of it all, I'm still here.  Whiny, terrified, flapping… but it counts.  

Thanks, CW, Pug, Sky, Cdav, and JDM.

I am obviously counting on getting better eventually and hope it doesn't get tiresome that I need to come here to freak out :P     

Hang on too Pugknows, I am a cold turkey survivor as well as a drug reaction survivor, and poly-drug survivor and have recovered from tons of stuff so far...Stuff I didn't think I could survive.

Thank you Sky and Wiggle hang in there. Take a deep diaphragm breath through your nose, hold it for 7 seconds, exhale through your mouth with your tongue on the roof of your mouth. Sounds silly, but it works getting me to calm down. When I'm all in a lather, I make myself sicker. I also groan when I exhale (Deepak Chopra). Makes me feel a bit better too. Picture me in bed breathing and groaning like a toad in heat. Like I always say, I'll try anything once, which got me into this mess. HPugs and kisses and prayers coming your way.

I certainly wish I didn't sound so despairing, but the repeated words convincing me I will get through this actually DO have a positive effect. Your words aren't falling on deaf ears. They just fall on ears that currently need a lot of reminding ;) Every time I come here and freak out and read something encouraging, I do walk away a little better.

All the good doctors here are completely booked up and I'm having the worst time being able to get in with ANYBODY in a timely fashion. So far, March is the earliest. I live in a state that has become overpopulated VERY quickly and there aren't enough resources here to accommodate the boom.

RI is SUCH a cluster of probs for me, for a variety of reasons. I wish I could just say, "Okay, I'll reinstate the 1 mg," but it truly isn't that easy. Extreme caution, obviously, since I'm getting far out and don't want to flare the symptoms any worse, which I've read here can be an especial concern for the movement disorder sufferers. I've had no luck finding any doctor locally with the knowledge to help me, which has kept me from being able to obtain a compound script. Lastly, if I try to do it myself, the pills are so tiny that I don't know how on earth I could possibly manage to chop down between 1-3 mg from a 30 mg pill, and I certainly do not want to dose wrong and inadvertently endanger myself. These are just the realistic roadblocks I've encountered, partially from caution and also from practicality.

Besides, as awful as I sound, part of me must still be a pretty tough cookie to have made it through the past 2.5 months, even if I'm not making it through as gracefully as others. Regardless of it all, I'm still here. Whiny, terrified, flapping… but it counts.

Thanks, CW, Pug, Sky, Cdav, and JDM.

I am obviously counting on getting better eventually and hope it doesn't get tiresome that I need to come here to freak out :P

Freak out all you want. I'm game. :)

I'm just gonna keep telling you that you will get better!

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thank you Sky for your affirmation that gobble gobble me will get better.

We will all recover because we are good people unselfishly reaching out to others who are suffering in the midst of our own anguish. God smiles on people like us. I just know it. With all my gastro issues in w/d, I went in last September to have my gallbladder removed. I coded on the table. Doctors revived me. Didn't have NDE darn it. But I know God saved me. As He will ALL of us because He has something else in mind for us. It is just around the corner.

Regarding RI, Wiggle. OMG. You have been inside my head! How did you know my thoughts amid all that muddy slime in my brain?

I would undoubtedly screw up the taper. I only passed chemistry cheating off the girl who sat in front of me.

I get to go to sleep tonight Whenever THAT happens) with this lovely thought in mind! Thank you, Sky!

Wiggle, praying you're okay. God's given me the thumbs up sign for you.