If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#37 luv2knit

luv2knit

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 09 October 2014 - 09:25 PM

Took Zoloft for 20 years (for Chronic Fatigue).  Tapered off 100 mg. in about 6 weeks, and took my last dose some time during the last week in July, 2014.  Experienced about 3 weeks of vertigo at end and right after taper, then about four weeks of virtually no symptoms.  Around the first of September, withdrawal hit--mostly in the form of almost constant akathisia, in varying degrees.  When I first posted my introduction a few days ago, someone suggested that reinstatement might still be an option.  I have resisted considering this, afraid that it would make things worse.  I am now finding that I have to at least consider this option.  I have insomnia, no appetite, have lost weight,  and just feel I cannot do this anymore.  Can anyone tell me what dose would be the best to start with, if I decide to reinstate?  I have absolutely no experience with this, and am feeling very hopeless at the moment.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).
Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

#38 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

If you're very frightened, you might try 1mg Zoloft. Please see your Intro topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#39 luv2knit

luv2knit

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • LocationAlabama, USA

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:49 PM

Thank you.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).
Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

#40 sweetness

sweetness

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:57 AM

I've been off effexor for two years. Will reinstatement still work after all this time?
My body had started to deterirate and I've been fatigues anxious and depressed since I went off them. Drs can't find anything really wrong with me. My cortisol is a little off and my vit d I'm and b12 is low. However due to my hypersensitive nervous system I cannot take anything to help these. Thanks!

~sweetness~

I have taken numerous ad's over the last ten years. The most recent and last one, the only one that helped, was effexor xr-75mg dose. I tapered off over a year time by using regular effexor to taper slowly. I haven't been on any other Ad's since. I take xanax(  .25mg pill) ever once in a great while when my anxiety is really bad. I take freeze dried aloe for my bladder condition. I do not take anything else right now.

#41 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

If you read this topic from the beginning, your will see reinstatement is most effective when done as soon as withdrawal symptoms appear.

After 2 years, the effect of reinstatement is unpredictable. If you are hypersensitive to drugs, it is likely to be detrimental.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#42 sweetness

sweetness

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:31 PM

I actually did read the post from the beginning. However there was no mention about reinstatement after a long period of time, that's why I wanted to ask. Thank you

~sweetness~

I have taken numerous ad's over the last ten years. The most recent and last one, the only one that helped, was effexor xr-75mg dose. I tapered off over a year time by using regular effexor to taper slowly. I haven't been on any other Ad's since. I take xanax(  .25mg pill) ever once in a great while when my anxiety is really bad. I take freeze dried aloe for my bladder condition. I do not take anything else right now.

#43 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:58 AM

"Once the nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, all bets are off."

Wow this is the exact conclusion i had come to and had said a very similar thing on another site....my words were "once the wdl nightmare is triggered its very difficult to reign it back in and all bets are off the table" I have likened it also to trying to back the car up the freeway off ramp ...not an easy thing to do.

This thread is incredibly informative. 

Thankyou so much for this truly insightful info.

This conundrum has really been on my mind over the last year and had me at a loss as to how to attack it.

It has really been a dilemma for me as to what to suggest to help a person who has tapered too fast ...as one does  ...doctors are just clueless idiots....and then observe them watching the fish flap around on the beach for a week oblivious to the incoming wdl tsunami.

The difficulty is most cannot hang around very long on a small dose when all hell breaks loose...the suffering is too much.

I previously couldnt understand why rec going on at a low dose is useful when surely getting back in the bunker would be best when getting carpet bombed. Not many people can absorb this for very long. It also brings many voices to the table as to what is the best game plan. It really is a most dreadful place to be in.

I often thought the best bet could be to go back on at the dose one would have been on had they been doing the 10% taper ...if you know what i mean .

This has given me a lot to think about ...wow !! I am always prepared to change my thinking when presented with good evidence to do so. Thanks.

Best thread i have read so far!

Beginning to like this site more and more.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

For a staggeringly shocking 'prozac back story' see the truth post #523

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#44 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:07 AM

I've been off effexor for two years. Will reinstatement still work after all this time?
My body had started to deterirate and I've been fatigues anxious and depressed since I went off them. Drs can't find anything really wrong with me. My cortisol is a little off and my vit d I'm and b12 is low. However due to my hypersensitive nervous system I cannot take anything to help these. Thanks!

I wouldnt ri ..committ to staying the course drug free. Ten years use is a lot and recovery after this length of time can take years. 2 years is early days in the recovery. imo do not reinstate, or reach out and take any drug ..many report improvements in yr 2-3 and even more in 3-4.

My opinion is once about 6 months drug free dont look back keep swimming for the mainland.

Its a difficult choice isnt it. I've learnt a new phrase recently and i think its american as i have never heard it in nz and its this 'its a crap shoot' ri at this point in time is a crap shoot.

2000 amitryptaline, nortriptaline venlafaxine clonazepam for  arm pain from keyboard use, told I had a chemical imbalance it would fix my arm was just a matter of finding the right med for me not informed of the nature of these drugs assured safe and not addictive, CT off Effexor after being told to double the dose on reporting adverse effects...later ..uncharacteristic psych panic tearful presented to doctor to get answers. Given paroxetine no questions asked 'safe and not addictive' next please.2001-2010 paroxetine (paxil) 2 failed attempts to quit, a learned helplessness set in. Feb 10 - Sept 10,  8 month clueless taper, hell. Doc said I had underlying depression .. I said that's not right' then found online support group and the truth!...overcome with inconceivable humiliation and outrage. 28 Sept 10 drug free ...  daily psych and emotional torture beginning in the waking hours of the morning receding somewhat in the evening only to start up again the next day. 28 Sept 12 (24 months) Stabilizing  (What an indescribable unimaginable non-functional nightmare). sleep issues start up at 3 yrs  waking daily at 2am -4.30am)28 Sept 15 (5yrs drug free), cf, cmw, insomnia  horrifying pssd continues, still feel Rip van Winkle-ish, cognitively doing heaps better. 28 Sept 16 after 6 yrs start working again on a casual basis.

"It is unsafe for people who suffer from something that could be treated with an ssri to consult a psychiatrist." Gotzshe 2015. [ I think Gotzsche could have easily meant to say 'to consult anyone with prescribing privileges']. "Going to a psychiatrist is one of the most dangerous actions a person can take." Breggin

“Paroxetine is not safe, it is not effective and it meets every known definition of addictive.” McLaren, N, (2016) 'Psychiatry as bullsh*t’ p55..."Psychiatry is stuffed full of 'deep nonsense' better known as bullsh*t." McLaren 2016

"Within the first week of when you go on an antidepressant you may have a sexual dysfunction, it can go on forever, often only appearing when you go off the drug ...its extraordinarily common" Healy 2015

See  my intro post #451 for the xanax back story and for a CV -GSKs.  Come on guys get taperwise see a TaperMe Schedule

"If I were an enemy combatant and the NZ army did this to me someone would be dragged to the Hague and jailed!"  nz11

#45 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Yes, going back on a drug after years is a crap shoot -- as in the gambling dice game, craps http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craps

#46 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 24 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Oh ...how stupid of me ...I thought it might have something to do with shooting a piece of cow dung and sh*t goes everywhere....well what ya know...this country boy from nz learns something new everyday!

So what I think you are implying is 'crap shoot' .... means  the odds of a win are heavily loaded against you, ie the house always wins !

#47 Ever

Ever

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

Don't think it's quite like that Mark.  It's not so much heavily weighted against you, it's more that you just don't know.   Anything can happen - you roll the dice and take your chances. 

I've re-instated dozens of times over the past decade or so - gone from zero back to 20mg many times.   Been off for more than a year and gone back on.  No problems at all.   I wouldn't do it again (not back to 20mg anyway) - I now realise how lucky I've been so far, but I've just successfully re-instated yet again after more than two months off and feeling great now.   

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

#48 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

We see lots of people here do better with reinstating, but some do not. It's unpredictable.

#49 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,593 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 26 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

* post moved from symptoms

Is it possible that withdrawal just mimics issues with high or low cortisol? I have a lot of symptoms of both and it worries me. I just want to be ok but I don't feel ok I feel sick.

Please ask these kinds of questions in your own thread, rather than starting new topics.  This way we can answer your questions and direct you to the relevant discussion topics which have already been started.

I. Hate. Cortisol. Mornings.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#50 pearl75

pearl75

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hello!  It's taken me about 3 1/2 years to get from 10 mg to just above 5 mg of Paxil.  During that time I had minimal symptoms, nothing that I couldn't handle.  Now, at just above 5 mg I have severe anxiety, panic and depression.  Does anyone have a recommendation with regard to updosing?  I loathe the idea of going all the way back up to 10 mg and risk losing 3 1/2 years of progress.  I'd appreciate your feedback.  I did updose just slightly, like about 3% but is this enough?  Right now I am not functional and I need to be!  Thanks in advance for your input!

• 20 mg Paxil daily since approx 2003
  • Tried tapering twice unsucessfully (fall 2005/summer 2006)
  • Tried tapering again between Feb 2009 and Feb 2010 unsuccessfully but stabilized at 10 mg
  • Started super slow taper Jul 2011 (approx 3-4% reductions every 2-3 months)
  • Last reduction on Nov 27/14 of about 4% to just above 5 mg - since then I am back into severe anxiety, panic and depression
  • Updosed to 5.5 mg on Dec 21/14, then to 6 mg on Dec 26/14 out of desperation

#51 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,891 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi to all!!! I love reading about the bridge and tapering. Need help. I had tsking Pritiq and lithium for post- partum depression for 2 years. Ten I kept forgetting to take the lithium because I felt so much better. I am in a new episode of depression and I felt the Pristiq was not helping and I was sleeping more and more, not knowing if it was just the depression or the medicine. I stopped cold turkey taking the Pristiq about 6 days ago. And two days ago started taking 20 mg of Prozac. Last night I have terrible episode of crying. My husband opened the capsule and have me half of dosage. Help: should I be taking the Pristiq with the Prozac. Or should I just wait for my mother to send me the liquid prozac( fluoxetine). Every appointment with the Psychiatric nurse man is 120$. . Help me please;) thank you and blessings.

Hello!  It's taken me about 3 1/2 years to get from 10 mg to just above 5 mg of Paxil.  During that time I had minimal symptoms, nothing that I couldn't handle.  Now, at just above 5 mg I have severe anxiety, panic and depression.  Does anyone have a recommendation with regard to updosing?  I loathe the idea of going all the way back up to 10 mg and risk losing 3 1/2 years of progress.  I'd appreciate your feedback.  I did updose just slightly, like about 3% but is this enough?  Right now I am not functional and I need to be!  Thanks in advance for your input!

Hello Pearl and Lovegodess, welcome to SA. Would you start a thread for yourselves in the introductions forum? It will be your thread to update when you like and to ask questions about your taper.   You will find the intro forum here.

http://survivinganti...ns-and-updates/

It will help us if you can put your drug and tapering history in your signature, it will appear at the bottom of your posts and we can see where you are with your tapering journey. You will find how to do that here.

http://survivinganti...your-signature/

It's good to have you here with us and we will answer all your questions on your intro threads, so that all your info is in one place. See you over there.  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day

#52 drummerseve

drummerseve

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 31 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

It looks like reinstalling can work even after 3-4 months after stopping. I will see, now it is very early to be sure.

I stopped Paxil at the end of last November, after a slow and long tapering. I started 2 and a half years ago at 10 mg, then 20 and then going down. It worked very well until the very end, I decreased 10-25% each time, then stabilizing for weeks (it worked for me). I had symptoms, anxiety, brain zaps, tremors, but manageable.

The last drop, from 1 mg to nothing was not good. At the beginning it was fine, but after 2 months I crashed, the symptoms became unbearable. The knot in the stomach was never leaving me. I was fearing an unknown catastrophe will happen any minute.

I had to reinstall at 1 mg and after one week I feel much better. 1 mg is a tiny quantity, I cut the 10mg pill in 8, and then remove some, but it can make such a difference!

Arwen, how quick did u find the reinstating worked for u?

Put on Paxil 20mg for anxiety in 1998. Crapped out fall of 2005. Taken off cold turkey by my Dr.Put on Effexor xr 150mg within a week. Crapped out summer 2012.  Dosage was upped to 225mg.  Symptoms worsened.  Quit smoking and started a slow taper at 10% every 4-5 weeks or so.  At around 25mg started developing ocd like symptoms(intrusive thoughts mainly)Slowed taper down.  Symptoms remain.  Got down to 2mg and quit the Effexor.  I was fine for a few weeks and was hit with a wall of symptoms. (I had started tapering my benzo at this point not knowing I shoulda waited much longer) I then hit with a wall of WD symptoms.  Debilitated.  Reinstated December 30th, 10 beads.  Felt really messed up.  Dropped to 5 beads.  Remaining until stable.

Started Klonopin 1mg once a day during my taper. Summer 2014. (At this time I was at 25mg Effexor) Dropped to .75mg of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wd symptoms worsened. Klonopin is back to 0.5mg twice daily. Waited for a month and made the mistake of starting a slow taper(what I thought was slow) at 6.25 percent for one week but had insane nightmares. It was too early to try and taper.  I went back to .5mg twice daily but seem to be having interdose wd. Symptoms are Sleep disturbances, depression and weird chest pains. Working my way to .25 mg spread evenly 4 times a day. Gonna stabilize and start a taper after 6 months er so.

#53 arwen

arwen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:15 AM

Hi Drummer,

In a way it worked pretty fast, one week after reinstating 1mg I was functional again, I could go to work, I was out of the dark, deep, horrible hole.

But that doesn't mean I felt good. I was still feeling quite sick, just better than before reinstating. Sometimes, just a little better makes all the difference between despair and going forward. I needed many more months and a lot of patience to fell "normal" again. 

July 2011 - nasty anxiety crisis (lost job, became not functional, couldn't exit the house alone)
August 2011 - started 10mg Paxil  and October 2011 - 20mg (one month on 20mg)
November 2011 - starting slowly to decrease the dose at the pace my body supported. Down to 2.5 mg in January 2013 (17.5, 15, 12.5, 10, 7.5, 5, 3.7, 2.5) - at least one month at each step. Unpleasant, but functional, got a new job almost immediately
April 2013 - stopped completely, crashed after 2 weeks, and reinstalled 2.5mg, recovered fast.
September 2013 - started decreasing again, slower, down to 1 mg in December 2013
December 2013 - free of Paxil
March 2014 - another crash, exactly 3 months after stopping, after 2 weeks of horrors, reinstalled 1 mg - feeling better after one week.
March 2014 - July 2014: going slowly down: 1mg, 0.9mg, 0.77mg, 0.64mg
end of July 2014 - Paxil free, hopefully forever this time.

#54 drummerseve

drummerseve

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationontario

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:10 AM

Its been three days and im already feelin 50% better. This is day three and im not in that dark hole with suicidal thoughts and the insane symptoms. Like u said its not fixed but its manageable now. I cant believe the difference between 1.6% of the dose i started tapering at to 0. Its scary to think 1.6 percent of the meds is so powerful and hard to come off of after almost two yrs of tapering. Just goes to show how strong these drugs are. A living nightmare. Im hoping ur doing well, Arwen. I noticed uve been off since July. How are u feeling?

Put on Paxil 20mg for anxiety in 1998. Crapped out fall of 2005. Taken off cold turkey by my Dr.Put on Effexor xr 150mg within a week. Crapped out summer 2012.  Dosage was upped to 225mg.  Symptoms worsened.  Quit smoking and started a slow taper at 10% every 4-5 weeks or so.  At around 25mg started developing ocd like symptoms(intrusive thoughts mainly)Slowed taper down.  Symptoms remain.  Got down to 2mg and quit the Effexor.  I was fine for a few weeks and was hit with a wall of symptoms. (I had started tapering my benzo at this point not knowing I shoulda waited much longer) I then hit with a wall of WD symptoms.  Debilitated.  Reinstated December 30th, 10 beads.  Felt really messed up.  Dropped to 5 beads.  Remaining until stable.

Started Klonopin 1mg once a day during my taper. Summer 2014. (At this time I was at 25mg Effexor) Dropped to .75mg of Klonopin for 3 weeks. Wd symptoms worsened. Klonopin is back to 0.5mg twice daily. Waited for a month and made the mistake of starting a slow taper(what I thought was slow) at 6.25 percent for one week but had insane nightmares. It was too early to try and taper.  I went back to .5mg twice daily but seem to be having interdose wd. Symptoms are Sleep disturbances, depression and weird chest pains. Working my way to .25 mg spread evenly 4 times a day. Gonna stabilize and start a taper after 6 months er so.

#55 Rhiannon

Rhiannon

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 3,783 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest US

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

Its been three days and im already feelin 50% better. This is day three and im not in that dark hole with suicidal thoughts and the insane symptoms. Like u said its not fixed but its manageable now. I cant believe the difference between 1.6% of the dose i started tapering at to 0. Its scary to think 1.6 percent of the meds is so powerful and hard to come off of after almost two yrs of tapering. Just goes to show how strong these drugs are. A living nightmare. Im hoping ur doing well, Arwen. I noticed uve been off since July. How are u feeling?

Maybe we can take this conversation to Arwen's thread so we can keep this one on track (general information about reinstating and stabilizing). Thanks! :-)

http://survivinganti...g-with-anxiety/

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease" as I was told. Long and tragic story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything.

Now tapering, ironically (but not surprisingly) healthier and more functional than I ever was during the years on the "meds," even with withdrawal (usually fairly mild at this slow pace).

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 14 2011:   86 mg Neurontin   144 Lamictal,    5.5 Celexa   0.42 Xanax      1.9 mg Valium

Feb 16 2012:   10 mg Neurontin   115 Lamictal     3.7 Celexa   0.285 Xanax     2.0 Valium

Feb 22 2013:   86 Lamictal    2.05 Celexa       0.23 Xanax      1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

Now:                43                    0.625                 0.0775            1.3

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

#56 WatchingTV426

WatchingTV426

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:50 PM

What's the general advice for people who reinstate b/c of intolerable w/d symptoms if they don't notice an improvement at the reinstated dose after a week (and also don't have any negative reactions)? 

Is it recommended that they then increase their dose and try that for another week? By how much, if so? 

I think this is what my doctor is going to recommend when I see him next week--that if the current dose isn't helping, he'll say I should go up (of course, then he'll insist it's not w/d and say I need to go up up up). 

Started Zoloft 07/06, continued through 07/08 (2-month taper, going downhill 6 weeks after stopping [w/d?]) 

Lexapro started 12/08, Lexapro increased/Buspar and Topamax added in '09, continued through 08/10 (3-month taper, disastrous results after 3 week [w/d?]) 

200 mg Zoloft started around 9/10; been between 150 and 200 mg Zoloft since then, also on Topamax and Deplin, and tried things for sleep like Trazadone (worked for a while), and Ambien, Lunesta, and Mirtazapine (all failed) 

--Started tapering 200mg Zoloft--

6-26-14 (150 mg); 7-14-14 (100 mg); 8-20-14 (50 mg); 10-25-14 (25 mg); 11-18-14 (12.5 mg); 12-2-14 stopped Zoloft 

anxiety started 3 days off, depression 12 days off; both severely intensified at 5 weeks off with a work-related trigger and got progressively worse for 10 days 

Reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg on 1-15-15 (one day at 25mg) after 6 weeks and 2 days off 

Also taking 100mg Topamax and 15mg Deplin 

#57 cymbaltawithdrawal5600

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

There is no 'general advice' for this as each person is an individual with different drugs and symptoms.. And anything you think you doctor is going to do should be posted in your thread and not here. This is for general discussion of the principle of reinstatement.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivinganti...ion/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

#58 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

WatchingTV, a week is not long enough to tell if it's going to be helpful or not.

#59 WiggleIt

WiggleIt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

There is no 'general advice' for this as each person is an individual with different drugs and symptoms.. And anything you think you doctor is going to do should be posted in your thread and not here. This is for general discussion of the principle of reinstatement.

Oh, GENERAL questions… NOW I get it.  That's why I've been mixing up posts so badly!  

-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in October 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014, off-label for pain

-Meds were prescribed for an "autoimmune chronic pain disease."  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but did not find out until AFTER meds had caused total damage.  All med tapers & cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline from May 2012 - Dec 2013

-Desipramine from Jan 2014 - October 2014. 60 mg reduced by 10 mg each month. Held 30 mg for 3 months. Rapid taper over 1 week from 30 mg down to 20, 10, 0

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night in 2011. In 2012, used 1 mg per month or less.  Lorazepam on & off Dec 2013 - Aug 2014, did not exceed 1.5 mg, did not exceed 3x a week

-On desipramine had muscle tremors & rigidity. Were they side effects or withdrawal effects as I reduced desip throughout 2014? Or was I in WD from nortrip as I was on desip? First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs were too stupid to help me figure it out

-Last dosage desip 10 mg on Oct. 29, 2014. Last dose lzpam 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Paradoxical reactions to benzos after quitting TCAs

-Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7 off meds: hair falling out; no improvement in vision; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8 off meds: thrown back to acute, including Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9 off meds: tardive dystonia worsened, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat.
-Month 13 off meds: Back to total acute, brain zaps back, plus developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs are now damaged

#60 WiggleIt

WiggleIt

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationColorado, USA

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

Hey Alto and CW,

I'm trying to get some info straight about stuff that I have read on this site. In one of the reinstatement threads, actually I think it might be a thread about what to expect from your doctor, it says that you need immediate medical attention if you're experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms. It also says reinstatement of a partial dose and slow tapering is the standard in psychiatric care.

But I've seen in other places on here where it says reinstatement is no guarantee and could actually make things worse, especially if some time has gone by and especially when there are movement symptoms involved.

How can a new person sort through that information and decide what to do?

How long is considered generally too long to reinstate?

What are the risks of severe withdrawal on a slow taper?

If the person had side effects while on the med, is reinstatement advised anyway?

-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in October 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014, off-label for pain

-Meds were prescribed for an "autoimmune chronic pain disease."  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but did not find out until AFTER meds had caused total damage.  All med tapers & cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline from May 2012 - Dec 2013

-Desipramine from Jan 2014 - October 2014. 60 mg reduced by 10 mg each month. Held 30 mg for 3 months. Rapid taper over 1 week from 30 mg down to 20, 10, 0

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night in 2011. In 2012, used 1 mg per month or less.  Lorazepam on & off Dec 2013 - Aug 2014, did not exceed 1.5 mg, did not exceed 3x a week

-On desipramine had muscle tremors & rigidity. Were they side effects or withdrawal effects as I reduced desip throughout 2014? Or was I in WD from nortrip as I was on desip? First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs were too stupid to help me figure it out

-Last dosage desip 10 mg on Oct. 29, 2014. Last dose lzpam 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Paradoxical reactions to benzos after quitting TCAs

-Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7 off meds: hair falling out; no improvement in vision; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8 off meds: thrown back to acute, including Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9 off meds: tardive dystonia worsened, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat.
-Month 13 off meds: Back to total acute, brain zaps back, plus developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs are now damaged

#61 nz11

nz11

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • LocationWaipu NZ

Posted 17 January 2015 - 02:52 AM

1. How can a new person sort through that information [ri] and decide what to do?

2. How long is considered generally too long to reinstate?

3. What are the risks of severe withdrawal on a slow taper?

4. If the person had side effects while on the med, is reinstatement advised anyway?

Everyone else must be asleep so i'll be cheeky and put some cards on the table and we'll see how they fall.

1. A new person can put up their drug signature and details, taper history and people can then point them in what has shown to be the best observed direction. A new person needs to spend time reading this stuff to get up to speed on the true informed place they now find themselves in. And if they value their health and desire to take responsibility for it, instead of blindly trusting the doc then they owe it to themselves to spend this time. A too fast taper triggering the wdl nightMARE to bolt puts a person in a place where 'all bets are off ' as to how to resolve it. Ri at a low dose is the first preferred option of this site, other options are listed in the thread about this. This is not an exact science so no one knows whats going to happen until you try an option.

2. How long is a piece of string? Its been shown a ri as soon as possible is best ...i think 2 months is  starting to get a tricky time. Having said that i know of people who have ri after 11 months off and stabilize ok and then gone on to taper off successfully (mapleleafgirl). So really there is no set rules imo. But sooner is better.

3. The risks of severe  wdl symptoms on a slow taper (10% ) are hopefully minimised. This is a rate that has been proven to be successful/provide the best chance  in getting people off the drug.  However lets be clear on something ..despite a slow taper even 5% there is no guarantee of zero wdl symptoms. But hopefully it should make them short in duration and manageable allowing one to have a life while tapering. You are going to have to absorb some  wdl no matter what rate you taper imo. One can listen to their body and know whats happening and slow the taper even more. Starting slow is key. Then if the coast is clear you can proceed.

4.  What side effects are you referring to? If you have done a fast taper ...as basically we all have because our doctors are clueless ...and you cant cope drug free and are starting to use the 's' word then i think you have no option regardless, but to ri and try to stabilize. imo. If you are referring to pregnancy then that is a curly one and i don't know what call to make, as a clueless mere male, except to say maybe  the health of the mother would be paramount. But others wiser than me could better advise.

Well its time for me to join the rest of the world and go to sleep. That's my 2 cents worth in the meantime you'll just have to wait until the mods arise and shine. Mind you there should be some Aussies awake at this time...they are 2 hours behind us....actually come to think of it Aussie 's are behind Kiwis in a lot of ways really... ..

Goodnight.

#62 WatchingTV426

WatchingTV426

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:02 AM

I think I know the answer to this from all the reading I've done here, but I'll ask anyway. If you reinstate but show no improvement in say, 3 weeks (or 4 or whatever), you then still have to taper off that low dose to avoid making withdrawal even *worse*, right? 

Started Zoloft 07/06, continued through 07/08 (2-month taper, going downhill 6 weeks after stopping [w/d?]) 

Lexapro started 12/08, Lexapro increased/Buspar and Topamax added in '09, continued through 08/10 (3-month taper, disastrous results after 3 week [w/d?]) 

200 mg Zoloft started around 9/10; been between 150 and 200 mg Zoloft since then, also on Topamax and Deplin, and tried things for sleep like Trazadone (worked for a while), and Ambien, Lunesta, and Mirtazapine (all failed) 

6-26-14 (150 mg); 7-14-14 (100 mg); 8-20-14 (50 mg); 10-25-14 (25 mg); 11-18-14 (12.5 mg); 12-2-14 stopped Zoloft 

anxiety started 3 days off, depression 12 days off; both severely intensified at 5 weeks off with a work-related trigger and got progressively worse for 10 days 

Reinstated Zoloft 12.5mg on 1-15-15 (one day at 25mg) after 6 weeks and 2 days off 

#63 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:35 AM

nz has got it! 41.gif

I have tried to explain reinstatement as clearly as possible in #1. It's pretty simple, really: It's trial and error, which is how these drugs have been prescribed all along.

The window in which reinstatement is effective is not defined. The assumption behind "immediate medical attention" when withdrawal symptoms surface is that withdrawal symptoms occur quickly after discontinuation. In other words, reinstatement should be done within a couple of weeks of quitting. However, we know that withdrawal symptoms can be delayed, so we recommend reinstatement as soon as possible.

I think the confusion is because we *expect* that taking a drug is going to work, we *expect* words like "always" and "guaranteed". it's hard to accept it that there is no certainty when it comes to psychiatric drugs and never was.

Also, doctors and the general public have the idea that "more is better", but now we're in a territory where more might be worse and we have to avoid it with a cautious exploratory partial dose when attempting reinstatement.

Now, given another principle -- to keep your nervous system as stable as possible and avoid big drug changes -- even if your reinstatement has lasted a short time, you would want to go off gradually. Maybe not as gradually as 10% per month, but a fast taper. You might want to try a 10% reduction to start, in case your nervous system has already become dependent on the drug even though you don't feel any effects.

If you have adverse effects from the reinstatement, which you should track by taking notes of your daily symptom pattern, in case they're from something else, you will want to go off faster. This is a case-by-case consideration to be done in your Introductions topic, not in this topic, because such detailed discussion will take it off track and make this topic difficult for others to follow.

If you had adverse effects from the drug when you were on it and are suffering withdrawal symptoms, reinstatement could be tried at a low, partial dose. Side effects are dosage-related: Lower doses incur fewer side effects. The adverse effects you felt on the drug indicate it was probably always too high a dose for you (or wrong for you entirely).

It is possible that at a low dose, you can reduce withdrawal symptoms and not suffer the adverse effects you suffered before. Again, this depends on the adverse effects and your current symptom pattern, another case-by-case consideration to be done in your Introductions topic.

What do we mean by a partial, low dose? You may notice we often suggest trying reinstatement of antidepressants at doses as low as 1mg-5mg, particularly if someone has been off the drug for more than several weeks. Believe it or not, people have found relief at those low doses and then tapered off successfully later.

However, since drugs are dosed at different levels, a partial, low dose of another drug, such as Abilify, might be .25mg, or of Neurontin, 10mg. Since people are on different drugs, the dosing is another case-by-case consideration to be done in your Introductions topic.

#64 UnfoldingSky

UnfoldingSky

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • LocationSomewhere

Posted 17 January 2015 - 08:08 PM

Alto, I know you have written it's on a case by case basis so maybe I'm just being a bother, but, I could swear I read off-site that in cases where people have TD issues come out while on the drug RI doesn't work, at least to cover over the TD.  Are there people here who had TD-like symptoms on the drug who reinstated successfully?

If I did read that it would have been about antipsychotics, since the bulk of what is written about TD focuses on them.

Partly recovered from AD withdrawal/reactions as well as issues with other psych drugs.  Also, I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions. Also due to the withdrawal/reactions I have had I may at times have cognitive problems so please keep this in mind when reading my posts (also please note, these issues are improving as I recover).

#65 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:45 PM

Alto, I know you have written it's on a case by case basis so maybe I'm just being a bother, but, I could swear I read off-site that in cases where people have TD issues come out while on the drug RI doesn't work, at least to cover over the TD.  Are there people here who had TD-like symptoms on the drug who reinstated successfully?

If I did read that it would have been about antipsychotics, since the bulk of what is written about TD focuses on them.

If someone developed tardive dyskinesia while on a drug, I would be wary of reinstating it.

#66 WatchingTV426

WatchingTV426

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

What constitues an "immediate bad reaction" ????

Would that be a bad phsycial reaction within a couple hours?

Or would the bad reaction be something like worsening psychiatric symptoms - anxiety, depression, akathisia etc.??

My wife's akathisia didn't start until after beginning reinstatement at the same low dose she had been tapered off of.

How does one differentiate between an "immediate bad reaction" to reinstatement VS. the withdrawal symptoms continuing to get worse because the reinstatement hasn't had time to begin helping (like, how it can take days, weeks, or months for reinstatement to help) ??

#67 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

WatchingTV, I think I've explained this many times.

Keeping notes about when drugs are taken, with dosages, and symptoms throughout the day over a period of days can help identify whether a symptom is a reaction to the drug or a withdrawal symptom.

Reactions to drugs tend to occur on a regular schedule relative to when you take them. For example, flushing and palpitations 2 hours later: If this happens over a period of days, it's likely a reaction to the drug.

We encourage people to keep notes on paper to track daily symptom patterns for this and other reasons. Without such information, you're shooting in the dark.

#68 shamaan

shamaan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:08 AM

And what if you have symptoms that are changing ? I don't fully understand what you mean with daily pattern? In my case it is different almost daily..

I mostly do have a stronger hearbeat after taking a dose. But aside from that , my symptoms are not the same every day. Does this mean it is not from reinstating?

I was taking effexor since 2011 at 75 mg. In 2012 an updose to 225 mg, later to 300 mg. Together with solian 400 mg.

+2013: In summer i reduced my effexor dose myself from 300-150mg ( no clue about WD) , then later that summer developing hypomanic symptoms ; suspected bipolar : psychiatrist dropped my 150 mg of effexor to 0 mg. Crashed completely at the end of that summer.Hospitalized , and put on other AD , together with cocktail of lithium,lamictal.( still no clue about withdrawal)
+2014: Asked my psychiatrist to go back on my original medication.Rapid taper of lithium,lamicatal and sipralexa. And started effexor again , up to a dose of 150 mg.Again a rapid taper over a couple of months , final drop was 75mg to 0mg in August. ( and learned about WD). Effexor free for 21 months. Slowly improving..And in the summer of 2015 I developed xanax dependency from one week of use. Currently tapering and on a dose of 0,16mg , splitted in four doses.

#69 cymbaltawithdrawal5600

cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,098 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

Shaman, this is a general topic on reinstating and stabilizing. If you have specific questions, ask them in your own thread and we will respond to them there. Please fill out a drug history in your signature, see the link in my signature. That way one can see at a glance what your situation is no matter where you post on the site.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivinganti...ion/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

#70 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,876 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 02:37 PM

And what if you have symptoms that are changing ? I don't fully understand what you mean with daily pattern? In my case it is different almost daily..

I mostly do have a stronger hearbeat after taking a dose. But aside from that , my symptoms are not the same every day. Does this mean it is not from reinstating?

shamaan, if your pulse changes after your daily dose, that might be something significant to put in your notes. If your symptoms have no pattern, it's likely they're from withdrawal syndrome rather than reactions to the drug or supplements, etc.

However, keeping notes on paper is important to see patterns; relying on memory is not accurate enough.

#71 LoveandLight

LoveandLight

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 24 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

I don't know how ill ever know when I'm stable enough to taper as I've felt so unwell on and off them so long..it's difficult to tell what on earth stable would be.
2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

#72 eiledon20

eiledon20

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

^ I felt the same way with my meds. Ive had adverse reactions to most of them. Even after four months.

Partner suddenly died 2014. Severe depression AGAIN (had previous episode 10 years ago). I was given escitalopram but could not bear the side effects, so i ask for an ECT (not sure if this helped). During the treatment and my hospital stay I was given Depakote mood stabilizer.  PDOC says I need to take it for two years. After 4-5 months I have a hard time with the Depakote. Hard to get up in the morning. Depression again or Depakote effects? So stopped Depakote (did not know about tapering then)

Januray 21, 2015. Severe depression again, started Pristiq 50mg and clonazepam 0.5 mg nightly. Had confusion, suicidal thoughts, thoughts about death, and find it hard to understand the TV, much more type in a computer.

Had adverse reaction to most antidepressants: muscle pain/spasms, irritablity, restlessness. Also Tried Prozac, Zoloft, Escitalopram years ago.

Started to taper pristiq and clonazepam after four months:

5th month:

2 weeks - 3/4 tablet PRISTIQ   (deducting the clonazepam also, so hard to cut)

2 weeks - 1/2 tablet PRISTIQ   (crumbs of clonazepam nightly)

2 weeks - 1/8 or less (hard to cut really) (zero clonazepam)

Then jump off pristiq.

I just wonder why I was cured during the 10 year period (2004-2014) I have no depression symptoms and no meds either. Pdoc said I might be biploar 2 but it is a "grey" area. Aren't bipolars supposed to be on maintenance meds?! Damn this diagnosis. I am tapering Pristiq either way.