If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#109 Henosis

Henosis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:22 PM

Alto, have you gotten your emotions back after your reinstatement? You wrote in some thread that you were on Paxil first few years and then you were off for an year and then you started Paxil again and on the second time on Paxil it blunted your emotions. I wanted to ask this bc you have been off Paxil after you CT'ed for so long and bc so so many experience anhedonia after reinstatement.

This was my exact experience.. Never had anhedonia until reinstatement. Didn't realize this was a common thing?!

Medication before problems: Took Paxil 60-100mg from 2003 to 2014 for OCD.
1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia (the serotonergic ones)

4) Re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

5) Tried augmenting Wellbutrin (only increased anxiety), Vyvanse/Adderall (works for anhedonia, but the crash is brutal) low-dose Zyprexa (bad rxn), low-dose abilify (no effect), cyproheptadine (precipitated withdrawal), mirtazapine (knocked me out), Tianpetine (no effect) in attempt at relieving anhedonia through boosting dopamine directly or indirectly through targeted serotonin receptor blockade)

6) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

7) Attempted Nortriptaline to paxil trapper to boost motivation and reduce anhedonia (it acts like an NRI, with target serotonin blockade at the "bad" receptors)

8) Stopped Nortriptaline after increased anxiety, no effect on anhedonia, and increased withdrawal symptoms. Only positive was alleviating ADHD symptoms.

9) Now struggling with a simultaneous Libirum and Paxil WD/taper...

#110 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:18 PM

Alto, have you gotten your emotions back after your reinstatement? You wrote in some thread that you were on Paxil first few years and then you were off for an year and then you started Paxil again and on the second time on Paxil it blunted your emotions. I wanted to ask this bc you have been off Paxil after you CT'ed for so long and bc so so many experience anhedonia after reinstatement.

This is incorrect. I never reinstated Paxil myself. After going off Paxil in October 2004, I suffered acute withdrawal syndrome for about 11 months and post-acute withdrawal syndrome for another 10 years. My emotions gradually came back in the last half of that period.

Please take discussions of drug-induced symptoms to such topics as these:

Did antidepressant reinstatement work for you?

Anhedonia, apathy, demotivation, emotional numbness

Disconnect between interest and action/motivation

Derealization or Depersonalization

Personality changes during withdrawal, who's had them?

"Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms...

"Is it always going to be like this?"

What does healing from withdrawal syndrome feel like?

Inactivity may make sympathetic nervous system hypersensitive...

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#111 akrontes

akrontes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:03 AM

I quit cold turkey 100 mg zoloft(sertraline) in May. One week went down to 50mg then stopped completely. Since then has been a downward trajectory, the first month was actually not so bad, symptoms really started to get bad after 2 months, and have been getting worse ever since. Reinstating has been on my mind, but I dont think I would risk it at this point and dont really think I am considering it seriously as an option after 4 and half months.

cannabis: Spring 2002 - Dec. 2007; regularly smoked, stopped cold turkey; symptoms: paranoid and depressed

Paroxetine: 20 mg July 2008, 40 mg October, 20 mg spring 2009, 0 mg summer 2009

Depakote (sodium valproate): October 2008 - Spring 2009

Haloperdidol 1 week Oct. 2008, H caused seizures, went to A&E;  stopped taking it.

Citalopram few weeks in the fall of 2009 to deal with withdrawal symptoms from stopping paroxetine

Paroxetine round 2: 20 mg Feb - summer 2010 -20mg don't remeber if I went up to 40mg

Venlafaxine & sodium valproate (again): Sep 2010 - Summer 2012  

SERTRALINE: November 2012 - May 2016 , 50-100mg (few days @ 150mg in Summer '15). a complete freak out at the end of April. 

May 2016 Prescribed Lithium and aripiprazole HAVE NOT TAKEN

No medications May 2016 - October 2016

Hospitalised - November 13th - 15 mg Mirtazapine until  6th December, decreased to 7.5 mg

Since 24 December been shaving off a little each day.  Now taking approx. 4 mg or 1/4 of 15 mg tablet.  Stopped reducing further for the moment

#112 Henosis

Henosis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:20 PM

YMMV, but I reinstated at 4/5 months to keep my job. And I did it in a terrible way (tried all kinds of other drugs before going back on the original) and it "worked" for me. 90% of the symptoms went away or were greatly improved, saved for adding fatigue and anhedonia.

Medication before problems: Took Paxil 60-100mg from 2003 to 2014 for OCD.
1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia (the serotonergic ones)

4) Re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

5) Tried augmenting Wellbutrin (only increased anxiety), Vyvanse/Adderall (works for anhedonia, but the crash is brutal) low-dose Zyprexa (bad rxn), low-dose abilify (no effect), cyproheptadine (precipitated withdrawal), mirtazapine (knocked me out), Tianpetine (no effect) in attempt at relieving anhedonia through boosting dopamine directly or indirectly through targeted serotonin receptor blockade)

6) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

7) Attempted Nortriptaline to paxil trapper to boost motivation and reduce anhedonia (it acts like an NRI, with target serotonin blockade at the "bad" receptors)

8) Stopped Nortriptaline after increased anxiety, no effect on anhedonia, and increased withdrawal symptoms. Only positive was alleviating ADHD symptoms.

9) Now struggling with a simultaneous Libirum and Paxil WD/taper...

#113 Newbeginning

Newbeginning

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:20 PM

Reinstatements have been a lifesaver for me. I've had to updose a bit at several points in my taper when my body couldn't handle my previous taper schedule.

The relief I feel immediately after reinstating (generally the day after) is the only thing that gives me hope to keep going.

I've read at benzo forums that one should never reinstate repeatedly because it can cause kindling. I understand how that could happen, and every reinstatement carries risk, but I just couldn't remain minimally functional without reinstating. Neither would I been able to keep cutting, as unstable as I was for weeks and months.

So in MY case, reinstatements helped me stabilize, continue tapering, and function.

• SSRIs 3-4 times in the last 14 years; would take them for 6-8 months and then taper off under dr supervision with no problems.
  • Med history prior to 2015: http://survivinganti...313#entry267313
  • 04/2015: Prozac decreased to 15mg over last 3 months; effexor held steady at 8mg; current effexor XR: 20 beads of a 75mg capsule per day (about 8mg)
  • 06/2015: Prozac: 10mg; effexor XR: 19 beads (about 7.5mg); 07/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor 18 beads; 08/2015: Prozac: 7.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • End of August: withdrawal: depressive symptoms, crying spells. Realized I was measuring prozac dose wrong for the last 2 months. Reinstated Prozac 8.5mg; Kept effexor at 17 beads. Stabilized in 5 weeks.
  • 10/2015: Prozac: 8.5mg; effexor: 17 beads
  • 11/2015: Prozac: 1.9ml (7.5mg); effexor: 16 beads
  • 12/2015: Prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: 16 beads. Withdrawal: neuroemotions
  • 01/2016: prozac: 1.6ml; effexor xr: reinstated 17 beads, withdrawal improved; 02/2016: Prozac 1.5ml; Effexor: 17 beads; 03/2016: Prozac 1.3ml(5mg); Effexor: 17 beads (7mg)-withdrawal (flu-like malaise, lightheaded, drowsy) started end of March. April 15: reinstated Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized. 2 weeks ok. End of April: Withdrawal (neuroemotions). Eventually stabilized in April-May. Apathy improved.
  • 3 month hold until August. August 2016: apathy came back;

• October 2016: updosed to Prozac 1.6ml. Bad reaction: anxiety, depression. End of October: went down Prozac 1.5ml. Stabilized over several weeks.

• Dec 9: tried macca for energy: anxiety/depression. Improved over several weeks, but not completely resolved.

• Dec 31: cut Effexor 5% to 16 beads. After 9 days: withdrawal anxiety, depression

#114 woof

woof

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 29 October 2016 - 03:07 AM

How long should you give reinstatement?

• After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.
  • Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.
  • Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

Altostrata,

I was wondering if perhaps adding the sentence, "...Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free...." to your post above from 2013 post below to the post above, might perhaps be helpful for some who are not as familiar with the difference in the terms, stabilize vs. symptom free and begin tapering prior to being "symptom free."

Most Respectfully and Sincerely,

Woof

Altostrata

Administrator

• photo-thumb-1.jpg?_r=1392834897
  • Administrators
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 23,349 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

You need to let your nervous system stabilize after reinstating. How long this might take depends on how long you've been off the drug and other factors. If you were off only a couple of days, you might stabilize for a month before trying to taper. If you've been off longer, to be safe, you should give your nervous system longer to stabilize, even if symptoms go away right away. If you've been off months, it might take months before you stabilize. Do not attempt to taper again until you feel symptom-free. (Cold turkey off another psych drug simultaneously compounds the situation.)

2008-2015 Cymbalta 20mg/d for neuropathy of my neck.  I never had any problems with Cymbalta, I simply wanted to get off all meds. So I arrogantly...CT'd the 20mg/d Nov, 25 2015  -  4 weeks later: severe 10/10 wd sx's: Anxiety, Insomnia, Tinnitus, Restlessness.  Reinstated 5 weeks after CT @ 20mg/d. Added Valium 25mg/day for the CT Cymbalta wd sxs. Held for 4 months @ 20mg/d. All wd sx's gone, except 4/10 AM anxiety, 2/10 tinnitus & 2-4 AM waking then back to sleep.  Then I found SA.  My initial understanding was that I had reinstated at too high a dose. CUTS -Cymbalta 2016 April 21, 20-18mg (194-19 = 175 beads) - AM anxiety resolved :)  May 21, 16mg-stable, July 04, 14.5mg 10/10 wd sx's  Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Fear, dysphoria, thermal dysregulation & Crisis State. UPDOSING - Sept 24th added 5 beads (143 to 148) 15mg  Anorexia, Fear, thermal dysregulation & Crisis State from July 4th cut gone. :) Oct 29th added 5 beads (148-153 beads) 15.5mg.  Nov 28th added 41 beads (153-194) 20mg of Cymbalta.  http://survivinganti...key-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivinganti...ta-wd-symptoms/

#115 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 10:15 AM

Good point, woof. I made the change.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

#116 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 05 November 2016 - 07:42 PM

Questions:

Does this advice apply the same way to someone who only tapered part way and is still on the med but considering reinstating to the original dose? Especially the advice about being sensitized to the drug.

Does the reinstatement advice apply to all psych meds, not just antidepressants? (In my case, Seroquel.)

Is it really possible to be symptom-free?

Thanks.

MN

2005-2006 Rapid taper off of Zoloft. Horrible but survived. Adverse drug reaction to Prozac. Stopped after only 4 days and had disabling symptoms for 6 months.

Severe sleep disorder.

2010-2013 Night panics began and ended sleep. All typical sleep aids failed.

2013-present: Valium (5mg x 3) prescribed by pro-benzo doctor. Helped me sleep for awhile. Then sleep began to get worse again.

Nov. 2014 Switched doctors. New doctor was anti-benzo but thought a 3-month taper was a slow taper. Failed and reinstated. Added 25mg Seroquel for sleep.

March-Sept. 2015 Made occasional very small dry cuts to the Seroquel. Down to 20mg. Did not notice much change in symptoms.

March 2016 Reduced gabapentin by 20% by accident and backed up again. (Was trying to feel less sedated.) Reduced again more slowly to 200+200+300.

June 2016 Starting a taper of the Seroquel again to see if I can get lower and still sleep. Feeling less sedated during the day, though still very low energy.

Sept 2016 Down to 16.5mg of Seroquel. Disabling neuropathy and sleep poor. Backed up to 17mg. Improved.

October 2016 Liquefied one V tablet. Neuropathy back immediately and continuing. Possibly from Q suspension I am still taking??? 

November 2016 All 3 tablets now dissolved. I think the windows are getting a little more frequent but they don't last long. Sleep poor.

#117 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,618 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:52 PM

If you are tapering and get withdrawal symptoms that don't go away in a few days, a small updose might help. You may not need to go back all the way to the original dosage to quell withdrawal symptoms.

#118 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,326 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:00 PM

"Is it really possible to be symptom-free?"

The idea of reinstatement and updosing isn't to become free of symptoms but to get the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level.

S l o w l y ...... but surely!

Antidepressants:  25 years (various: 1 unknown; Prozac muscle weakness; Zoloft; Cipramil CTed - very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)
Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (from April - aches, pains, sweating, jittery, Oct 2015 recognised Serotonin Toxicity)
17 Oct 2015: 50mg (head fog); 1&2 Nov: 100mg (4 hrs "with it"); 3 Nov: 75mg; 30 Dec: 67.5mg; 1 Jan 2016: 70mg (ear pain);

21 Jan: 67.5mg; 4 Feb: 65mg; 19 Feb: 62.5mg; 3 Mar: 60mg; 12 Mar: 57.5mg; 13 Mar: 60mg (ear pain); 24 Mar: 57.5mg; 21 Apr: 55mg; 19 May: 52.5mg; 16 Jun: 50mg tablet; 11 Sep: 47.5mg all caps (5mg old); 25 Sep: 45mg (40+2x2.5); 4 Oct: 45mg (open 2x2.5); 14 Oct: 45mg (open 2.5x2); 21 Oct: 42.5mg (open 2.5); 9 Nov: 41mg (open 1); 25 Nov: 38.5mg (open 2.5); 2 Dec: 37.5mg (5mg old, open 2.5); 26 Dec: 35mg (5mg old open); 6 Jan: 32.5mg (2.5mg open); 7 Jan: 33.5mg (2.5mg open); 15 Jan: 32.5mg (2.5mg open); 20 Jan: 31.5mg (1mg open);

Current:  Pristiq 31mg

My SA Intro topic                           My website

#119 MNgal1960

MNgal1960

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationMidwest, USA

Posted 06 November 2016 - 02:16 PM

Thanks, Chessie and Alto. Right now I'm thinking I will try to stick it out for another week at current levels.

MN

2005-2006 Rapid taper off of Zoloft. Horrible but survived. Adverse drug reaction to Prozac. Stopped after only 4 days and had disabling symptoms for 6 months.

Severe sleep disorder.

2010-2013 Night panics began and ended sleep. All typical sleep aids failed.

2013-present: Valium (5mg x 3) prescribed by pro-benzo doctor. Helped me sleep for awhile. Then sleep began to get worse again.

Nov. 2014 Switched doctors. New doctor was anti-benzo but thought a 3-month taper was a slow taper. Failed and reinstated. Added 25mg Seroquel for sleep.

March-Sept. 2015 Made occasional very small dry cuts to the Seroquel. Down to 20mg. Did not notice much change in symptoms.

March 2016 Reduced gabapentin by 20% by accident and backed up again. (Was trying to feel less sedated.) Reduced again more slowly to 200+200+300.

June 2016 Starting a taper of the Seroquel again to see if I can get lower and still sleep. Feeling less sedated during the day, though still very low energy.

Sept 2016 Down to 16.5mg of Seroquel. Disabling neuropathy and sleep poor. Backed up to 17mg. Improved.

October 2016 Liquefied one V tablet. Neuropathy back immediately and continuing. Possibly from Q suspension I am still taking??? 

November 2016 All 3 tablets now dissolved. I think the windows are getting a little more frequent but they don't last long. Sleep poor.

#120 Revenge

Revenge

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWestern PA

Posted 10 December 2016 - 05:07 AM

This is cool, very helpful. I was off for a long time, several years. I cold-turkeyed for the most part, and I was on a heavy-duty "cocktail." I believe my brain was damaged by taking the drugs, not from withdrawal. Stopping them any way I could saved my life.

I had none of the "brain zaps" people describe. Insomnia resulted from decades on drugs. After five years of barely sleeping at all, I finally decided I couldn't stand constant exhaustion. My mood was not affected, but I tended to be short-tempered because I could barely stay awake. I recall feeling that I would fall asleep while walking and doing ordinary tasks. I also dropped things that were in my hands due to mini-sleeps.

I obtained some Seroquel without a prescription (not quite legally) and started back at the lowest possible dose. It was like a miracle. My goal is to get off, but really, I'm so thrilled to sleep that I am less worried about the drug damage from such a low dose than I am about the devastating consequences of sleep deprivation. I think the only way I can taper would be to grind it up (it isn't XR) and dissolve it in water, then drink, and do a very very very slow taper even from this mini-dose.

#121 ChessieCat

ChessieCat

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,326 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

Hi Revenge,

Welcome to SA.  You might like to start your own Intro/Update topic (topic right & click on Start New Topic) so you can journal your progress and get support from the SA community.

S l o w l y ...... but surely!

Antidepressants:  25 years (various: 1 unknown; Prozac muscle weakness; Zoloft; Cipramil CTed - very sick for 2.5 wks soon after)
Pristiq:  50mg mid 2012, 100mg beg 2014 (from April - aches, pains, sweating, jittery, Oct 2015 recognised Serotonin Toxicity)
17 Oct 2015: 50mg (head fog); 1&2 Nov: 100mg (4 hrs "with it"); 3 Nov: 75mg; 30 Dec: 67.5mg; 1 Jan 2016: 70mg (ear pain);

21 Jan: 67.5mg; 4 Feb: 65mg; 19 Feb: 62.5mg; 3 Mar: 60mg; 12 Mar: 57.5mg; 13 Mar: 60mg (ear pain); 24 Mar: 57.5mg; 21 Apr: 55mg; 19 May: 52.5mg; 16 Jun: 50mg tablet; 11 Sep: 47.5mg all caps (5mg old); 25 Sep: 45mg (40+2x2.5); 4 Oct: 45mg (open 2x2.5); 14 Oct: 45mg (open 2.5x2); 21 Oct: 42.5mg (open 2.5); 9 Nov: 41mg (open 1); 25 Nov: 38.5mg (open 2.5); 2 Dec: 37.5mg (5mg old, open 2.5); 26 Dec: 35mg (5mg old open); 6 Jan: 32.5mg (2.5mg open); 7 Jan: 33.5mg (2.5mg open); 15 Jan: 32.5mg (2.5mg open); 20 Jan: 31.5mg (1mg open);

Current:  Pristiq 31mg

My SA Intro topic                           My website

#122 Mellie

Mellie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 January 2017 - 05:46 PM

If a low-dose reinstatement doesn't seem to be helping after a couple of weeks, is it necessary to taper or can you stop immediately?

• 1998-2002 - High dose of Luvox for 4.5 years. Rapid taper over a couple of months in early 2002. Not much withdrawal issues, other than increased irritability and mood lability for a few months.
  • 2005 - Brief trial of Wellbutrin. Stopped taking it after a few months with no problems.
  • 2008 - Started fluoxetine (Prozac), 10 mg. Took this dose for several years. At some point upped the dose to 20 mg and maintained until late 2015.
  • November 2015 - Cold turkeyed off of Prozac 20 mg. Experienced low energy, lack of motivation, irritability, but these were symptoms I was experiencing while still on the SSRI (albeit to a lesser degree).
  • May 2016 - 6 months later, late-onset withdrawal symptoms appear. Severe anxiety, insomnia, dread, unprecedented feelings of hopeless depression, suicidal ideation, bouts of crying, nausea, loss of appetite, akathisia (feeling like I'm vibrating internally, but no need to move).
  • June - September 2016 - Symptoms continue. Mostly waves, but some windows. Some recovery.
  • October - November 2016 - Diagnosed with breast cancer. Handled fairly well, but resorted to benzos for sleep in the week prior to surgery. Following surgery, was pretty out of it for 3 weeks on pain pills and antibiotics.
  • December 2106 - Withdrawal symptoms back with a vengeance, especially anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Oncologist prescribed 10 mg Lexapro. Took 2.5 mg for 2 weeks, but felt it was making anxiety worse, so stopped. 

Currently taking: Magnesium, melatonin, and lactium for sleep. Vitamin D and probiotic. Occasional beta-blocker for akathisia. Occasional benzo for sleep, but trying to stop. Still on very strong antibiotic due to surgical complication.

#123 woof

woof

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:27 PM

Some (like me) may have never have had any problems with Cymbalta... until I Ct'd off. 

So for me, being free of symptoms, was my goal and I was hopeful that reinstatement would do so - It was just going to take longer than I had expected, so I prematurely began to taper after 4 months of a full dose reinstatement.

It's now been 6 weeks since my full updose to 20mg/d Cymbalta and this is the best I've felt in over a year. 

My only sx now is 2-3/10 tinnitus.

I hope this helps,

Woof out

How long should you give reinstatement?

• After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.
  • Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.
  • Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

2008-2015 Cymbalta 20mg/d for neuropathy of my neck.  I never had any problems with Cymbalta, I simply wanted to get off all meds. So I arrogantly...CT'd the 20mg/d Nov, 25 2015  -  4 weeks later: severe 10/10 wd sx's: Anxiety, Insomnia, Tinnitus, Restlessness.  Reinstated 5 weeks after CT @ 20mg/d. Added Valium 25mg/day for the CT Cymbalta wd sxs. Held for 4 months @ 20mg/d. All wd sx's gone, except 4/10 AM anxiety, 2/10 tinnitus & 2-4 AM waking then back to sleep.  Then I found SA.  My initial understanding was that I had reinstated at too high a dose. CUTS -Cymbalta 2016 April 21, 20-18mg (194-19 = 175 beads) - AM anxiety resolved :)  May 21, 16mg-stable, July 04, 14.5mg 10/10 wd sx's  Anxiety, Anhedonia, Anorexia, Fear, dysphoria, thermal dysregulation & Crisis State. UPDOSING - Sept 24th added 5 beads (143 to 148) 15mg  Anorexia, Fear, thermal dysregulation & Crisis State from July 4th cut gone. :) Oct 29th added 5 beads (148-153 beads) 15.5mg.  Nov 28th added 41 beads (153-194) 20mg of Cymbalta.  http://survivinganti...key-withdrawal/  Benzo Posts http://survivinganti...ta-wd-symptoms/

#124 KarenB

KarenB

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,085 posts
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Sorry for the delay in answering Mellie - I wanted to check with the other mods. 

If a low-dose reinstatement doesn't seem to be helping after a couple of weeks, is it necessary to taper or can you stop immediately?

It would pay to taper, but it can be done at a faster rate than the usual 10% monthly (unless w/d symptoms indicate otherwise).  You could try reducing by 25%, waiting a week and assessing how you are feeling.  If all is good, try another 25% and so on.  If symptoms increase, that is a clear sign to slow the taper. 

Of course if you are already suffering from previous drug changes, that is another reason to taper carefully.  A sudden stop can make things much worse. 

2010 May Fluoxetine 20mg. Raging mostly stops, become more functional.
2011 February Escitalopram 10mg (sudden switch). 2012 January Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Early June Feeling great, decide to taper. Doc advises alternate days 20mg/10mg for 4 weeks.  Late June Steady. Drop to 10mg daily. Early July Not coping, raging, flu symptoms, shaky, anxious, low, spaced-out, self-destructive.  Mid July Return to alternate days 20mg/10mg - minimal improvement. Early August Return to full dose 20mg. Lost.
2014 February Switch to Venlafaxine. (First reduced Esc. to 10mg/day for a week) Feb-April Lost, 'light' self-harm, exhausted.
April Increase Ven. to 150mg/day. Dizzy. July 75mg twice a day to improve dizziness. Deep depression remains.  2015 Feb Vigilant dose spacing partially eases dizziness. Mar Switch to Effexor 75mg 2x/day. May Cut 10% to 135mg - bad w/d 2 mths, held 1 mth.  Aug 1.3% cut - bad 1mth, held 1mth. Oct 4 wkly 0.4% cuts held 6 weeks. Jan 2016 2 wkly 0.4% cuts. 8 month hold. Sept Wkly cuts: 0.5%, 3 1% cuts.  Oct 4 wkly 1% cuts, hold 3-4 weeks.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamins E & C, magnesium, iron, MSM, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.  My story of healing: ContinuedHealing

***I am not a doctor or counselor; please do your own research and be prepared to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

#125 Mellie

Mellie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

Thanks, Karen. That makes sense.

But what if the low-dose reinstatement causes a bad reaction (as opposed to simply not helping with withdrawal issues)? Then would you stop immediately? This is what Dr. Shipko advised elsewhere, especially if akathisia increases.

What are your thoughts?

• 1998-2002 - High dose of Luvox for 4.5 years. Rapid taper over a couple of months in early 2002. Not much withdrawal issues, other than increased irritability and mood lability for a few months.
  • 2005 - Brief trial of Wellbutrin. Stopped taking it after a few months with no problems.
  • 2008 - Started fluoxetine (Prozac), 10 mg. Took this dose for several years. At some point upped the dose to 20 mg and maintained until late 2015.
  • November 2015 - Cold turkeyed off of Prozac 20 mg. Experienced low energy, lack of motivation, irritability, but these were symptoms I was experiencing while still on the SSRI (albeit to a lesser degree).
  • May 2016 - 6 months later, late-onset withdrawal symptoms appear. Severe anxiety, insomnia, dread, unprecedented feelings of hopeless depression, suicidal ideation, bouts of crying, nausea, loss of appetite, akathisia (feeling like I'm vibrating internally, but no need to move).
  • June - September 2016 - Symptoms continue. Mostly waves, but some windows. Some recovery.
  • October - November 2016 - Diagnosed with breast cancer. Handled fairly well, but resorted to benzos for sleep in the week prior to surgery. Following surgery, was pretty out of it for 3 weeks on pain pills and antibiotics.
  • December 2106 - Withdrawal symptoms back with a vengeance, especially anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Oncologist prescribed 10 mg Lexapro. Took 2.5 mg for 2 weeks, but felt it was making anxiety worse, so stopped. 

Currently taking: Magnesium, melatonin, and lactium for sleep. Vitamin D and probiotic. Occasional beta-blocker for akathisia. Occasional benzo for sleep, but trying to stop. Still on very strong antibiotic due to surgical complication.

#126 KarenB

KarenB

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 2,085 posts
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

Posted 09 January 2017 - 09:46 PM

Absolutely.  From the first post in this thread: 

When to discontinue reinstatement
If, upon reinstatement, you very soon feel worse, most likely you are sensitized to the drug and need to take a smaller dosage or, possibly, none at all.

• Sometimes reinstatement does not work. The nervous system has taken such a hard hit from withdrawal, it's destabilized beyond whatever effect the drug might have had.
  • Sometimes reinstatement not only does not work, it causes an adverse reaction from a nervous system sensitized by withdrawal.
  • If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.

2010 May Fluoxetine 20mg. Raging mostly stops, become more functional.
2011 February Escitalopram 10mg (sudden switch). 2012 January Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Early June Feeling great, decide to taper. Doc advises alternate days 20mg/10mg for 4 weeks.  Late June Steady. Drop to 10mg daily. Early July Not coping, raging, flu symptoms, shaky, anxious, low, spaced-out, self-destructive.  Mid July Return to alternate days 20mg/10mg - minimal improvement. Early August Return to full dose 20mg. Lost.
2014 February Switch to Venlafaxine. (First reduced Esc. to 10mg/day for a week) Feb-April Lost, 'light' self-harm, exhausted.
April Increase Ven. to 150mg/day. Dizzy. July 75mg twice a day to improve dizziness. Deep depression remains.  2015 Feb Vigilant dose spacing partially eases dizziness. Mar Switch to Effexor 75mg 2x/day. May Cut 10% to 135mg - bad w/d 2 mths, held 1 mth.  Aug 1.3% cut - bad 1mth, held 1mth. Oct 4 wkly 0.4% cuts held 6 weeks. Jan 2016 2 wkly 0.4% cuts. 8 month hold. Sept Wkly cuts: 0.5%, 3 1% cuts.  Oct 4 wkly 1% cuts, hold 3-4 weeks.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamins E & C, magnesium, iron, MSM, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.  My story of healing: ContinuedHealing

***I am not a doctor or counselor; please do your own research and be prepared to take responsibility for decisions you make.*** 

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.