SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ chia1214: 40 years coming off - tapering lamotrigine, clonazepam

chia1214

Hello. I've never been part of a forum like this but and very glad to have found it. I'm 52 and have been on and off meds since being put on involuntarily at age 13. It never occurred to me, nor was it suggested by doctors or anyone, that many of my extremely disruptive and disturbing experiences might be exacerbated or even caused by the meds I took over the years. 

At age 13 I became very depressed and self-destructive. I had very few coping skills and even fewer instructions on how to navigate in life. Add to that, newly raging female hormones. Upon public school intervention, which led to an emergency therapist consultation, I was hospitalized. My parents were told by the first doctor who saw us, that I would likely be institutionalized for the remainder of my life. Yikes! I was there for one scary year and was put on Thorzine, Haldol, Tofranol and Cogentin. At 13, I was terrified. That was the beginning of my introduction to adolescence and unfortunately, to psychiatric drugs, which were to be my near constant companions to the present day. 

I had labels attached to my name over the years, as various behaviors manifested and meds were added and taken away. Many of my initial difficulties were probably due to a general lack of guidance and direction in life coupled with a lack of coping skills. I probably did not need to be massively tranquilized and medicated at such a young impressionable age. I see that now, but didn't have much control over it then.

Fast forward some, I did escape the clutches of the hospital at age 15, but had come under the influence of some fellow patients, and headed in an unhealthy, self destructive direction for my 16th year. I learned all about alcohol, street drugs and the birds & bees. In one year immediately following my release from 3 years of involuntary hospitalization. I became meds free but in bondage to street drugs and underage drinking. Thankfully only for that one year.

Can relationships be considered drugs? It seems that way with me, because I went to AA at age 16, became involved with an older man, twice my age, became pregnant at age 18, married and had my son, and still had no great coping skills. So when that life fell apart at age 23, I had 2 brief hospitalizations where I was again placed on several drugs and sent on my way. I was in the mental health system for about 3 years and it was very de-humanizing for me. I left the system behind but the drugs remained a part of my life and it never crossed my mind that all the on and off again of meds was contributing to my ongoing crises. 

Thankfully, I met a wonderful man at age 27 and he asked me to be his bride. My mood/meds roller coaster came right along with my marriage. Mr. Wonderful knew my history, my current state of affairs and took me anyway, for better and worse. He managed with me, and has been my truest support all through these years. i have fought like a lioness to maintain stability in the midst of my mental chaos, raising/homeschooling two daughters and being thankful for my Mr. Steady/Wonderful.

I tried to go off meds several times over the years, but it was always cold-turkey and with no instruction or information. Relapse was always worse and meds were always re-administered along with the warning I should never try getting off them again, ever.

Now, as empty nesters, we are still dealing with my increasingly horrible episodes of what I now see listed as side effects not only of the drugs themselves, but definitely as withdrawal symptoms of many of these meds, especially as they have been changed so many times over the years. 

So, now I embark on this journey of learning how to survive nearly a lifetime of meds. I for sure want to give life a try without them. I have lived fairly miraculously-outwardly normal, but inwardly tormented most of my life. Many, many experiences of the mental anguish that I have read on forums like these and blogs like Beyond Meds, parallel mine. 

I hope this wasn't too lengthy or inappropriate of an introduction for this forum. But it has been an opportunity for me to share my experience for the first time in a community where I feel extremely hopeful in this way for the first time. And for that I thank you.

I look forward to charting my progress and challenges. If I am not on the correct forum for doing so, please re-direct me as I am new to this posting and airing my life business. But I am ready for a meds free and ultimately, a mental-chaos free life. And to help others if I may also.

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2011 Lithuim Gabapentin Lunestra, Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam

2012 Taken off all but Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam, began Zyprexa

2013 Abilify replaced Zyprexa (high lipids) added Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

Clonazepam 0 mg Benzo free as of May 30, 2017

Lamotrigine 0 mg as of Jan 7, 2018   

Wow, what a life you have had!  You are in the right place.  I am relatively new to the site myself but have been med-free for almost ten years and want to pay it forward.  There is a ton of good information here and all the support you will need.  Welcome!

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

Omg Chia - what an amazing story!   So glad you found this site.   I have no experience of the drugs you have been and are on, but there will soon be others come on with great advice.   What an amazing story you will unfold on this journey from now on.  

Welcome and lotslove XXX

Put on Prothiaden for severe depression in 1989.  Recovered.   Prescribed Paxil for another bout of depression around 2000.   Have been trying to taper ever since but always crash about 2 months after getting to zero.   Because of the crashes, for years I thought that there was something wrong with me.   Then found that the crashes were simply withdrawal.   Now following a maximum of a 10% reduction every month or so and ready to slow down any time I feel any symptoms whatsoever.  Feeling good:).

7th Jan 15 - 3.6mg

28th Jan 15 - 3.2mg

Welcome! There is alot of good information and support here. I hope this site will be beneficial to you. It has helped me.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Thanks Babs, Ever and Frustrated, for your welcomes and encouragement. Do you happen to know how to reply to an individual post? I didnt see that option to reply to each of you separately. I have to learn how to navigate around in here. Thx.

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

Hi Chia,

Welcome.   To survive all that psychiatric abuse is incredible.

To respond to a thread, at the end of it, on the left, you will see "Reply to this topic".  In the space below, write your message and hit the "post" button.  If you want to reply to a specific post go underneath it and look for the "quote" button.   The post will come up with the person's post in which you can edit so only the relevant information that you want to respond to is there.   Again, there is space below to write your post and then again, hit the "post" button.

Again, welcome aboard.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Hi Chia,

I  agree. You are a very strong person.

I have to get some sleep now, but will read your post more thoroughly when I've gotten some rest.

I just thought I'd add, I wasn't clear what kind of reply you wanted to make to the previous posters.

If you want to contact someone by sending what is called a "private message" (PM) rather than replying by following CS's excellent instructions, you click on the person's user name at the left on their post. That will take you to their profile, and you can click on the "Send me a message" button if you wsant to communicate with them privately. (PMs are done within the site's system and will not reveal your personal identity or email address. You can set up your preferences about whether and how to receive and send PMs. A lot of god information is in the "Read this first" section of this group.)

People usually reply to posts on the group by following compsport's instructions. That way others reading your thread will be able to participate in the discussion and offer their advice.

PMs are usually to discuss something particularly with that one individual that isn't of concern to others, or which they might prefer to discuss privately.

Again, welcome to SA.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Hi Chia,

To respond to a thread, at the end of it, on the left, you will see "Reply to this topic".  In the space below, write your message and hit the "post" button.  If you want to reply to a specific post go underneath it and look for the "quote" button.   The post will come up with the person's post in which you can edit so only the relevant information that you want to respond to is there.   Again, there is space below to write your post and then again, hit the "post" button.

Again, welcome aboard.

Oh! Thanks! Looks like I got it. So, a "thread" is like a conversation comprised of individual posts. I would never have figured out how to reply to an individual post by clicking on the "quote" button. I did read the "Read this first" section, but it takes me a while to grasp how to actually do what's being taught. I'm still not entirely clear when to respond to a thread or just a post. For instance, should I have replied here like I did, or should I have replied on the thread?

Either way, thanks for the tips. I may need to ask for a few more as I go along.

Hi Chia,

Again, welcome aboard.

Oh! Thanks! Looks like I got it. So, a "thread" is like a conversation comprised of individual posts. I would never have figured out how to reply to an individual post by clicking on the "quote" button. I did read the "Read this first" section, but it takes me a while to grasp how to actually do what's being taught. I'm still not entirely clear when to respond to a thread or just a post. For instance, should I have replied here like I did, or should I have replied on the thread?

Either way, thanks for the tips. I may need to ask for a few more as I go along.

Looks like you did great. 

If someone said something specifically you want to respond to, then you would respond to a post.    But if you want to simply made a general comment, then you respond to the thread.   And if you're not sure which way to go, just pick something. :)

Ask all the questions you need to ask. :)

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Hi Chia,

I  agree. You are a very strong person.

I have to get some sleep now, but will read your post more thoroughly when I've gotten some rest.

I just thought I'd add, I wasn't clear what kind of reply you wanted to make to the previous posters.

If you want to contact someone by sending what is called a "private message" (PM) rather than replying by following CS's excellent instructions, you click on the person's user name at the left on their post. That will take you to their profile, and you can click on the "Send me a message" button if you wsant to communicate with them privately. (PMs are done within the site's system and will not reveal your personal identity or email address. You can set up your preferences about whether and how to receive and send PMs. A lot of god information is in the "Read this first" section of this group.)

People usually reply to posts on the group by following compsport's instructions. That way others reading your thread will be able to participate in the discussion and offer their advice.

PMs are usually to discuss something particularly with that one individual that isn't of concern to others, or which they might prefer to discuss privately.

Again, welcome to SA.

Thank you Brandy, for the tips, along with compsports'. I was initially inquiring about how to reply to individuals, to thank the people who welcomed me. I didn't want to appear rude, but couldn't figure out how to hit "quote", which compsports kindly explained. I did read "Read this first" and most everything else I could find but it takes me a while to "get it" with things like this. Thanks for explaining it in more detail. I did ask compsports and I guess I can ask you too, how do you decide when to reply to an individual post or to the thread? Sorry if that's a "duh" question, but I have never done this before.

Thanks again for the tips and the warm welcome.

Hi Chia,

Again, welcome aboard.

If someone said something specifically you want to respond to, then you would respond to a post.    But if you want to simply made a general comment, then you respond to the thread.   And if you're not sure which way to go, just pick something. :)

Okay, thanks!  I see by your signature that you are meds free since 2010. That's great! Since you said ask all I need, here's  more.

If I don't use my email to notify me of replies to my posts, how do I know if someone has replied? For instance, to come to this conversation, or thread, today, I went to forums and looked down the list to find my original topic. Oh, topic. That's different from a thread? Point is, how can I quickly find this place where you all replied to me? And is the email notification option the best way to know when someone has replied to you? In the settings, there is an option to check for email or notifications. What does the "notifications" do?

I'm guessing that by clicking "Follow this topic" you get notified of activity on that topic? Do you just browse everything each time you come to this site or do you have a system for what you view and follow? I can see how this might consume a lot of time if I don't learn some shortcuts. I'm sure I'll learn.

I've looked at other people's signatures and am thinking I should change mine to reflect more of my past meds history. A problem with that is I simply do not have records of what I was on over the years. But maybe it would be a good thing for me to try to gather as much from recall and perhaps even to request records from different doctor's offices and hospitals where I remember being treated. I really like seeing from the signatures, how people are doing and where they've come from.

Thanks again, and feel free to not answer all my pesky questions. I'm sure I'll figure these details out as I go. But it sure is helpful hearing from folks like you!

Hi Chia--  I'm so glad you were able to make it over.  The system seems to have a lot in common with the one we are use to things are just named differently.  It's going to take me a while to get the hang of it, but it is getting easier every day.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Chia--  I'm so glad you were able to make it over.  The system seems to have a lot in common with the one we are use to things are just named differently.  It's going to take me a while to get the hang of it, but it is getting easier every day.

Hi brassmonkey - thanks for the welcome. I'm learning a lot from what I'm reading here. Glad you are having an easier time of it each day.

Hi Chia,

Again, welcome aboard.

Okay, thanks!  I see by your signature that you are meds free since 2010. That's great! Since you said ask all I need, here's  more.

If I don't use my email to notify me of replies to my posts, how do I know if someone has replied? For instance, to come to this conversation, or thread, today, I went to forums and looked down the list to find my original topic. Oh, topic. That's different from a thread? Point is, how can I quickly find this place where you all replied to me? And is the email notification option the best way to know when someone has replied to you? In the settings, there is an option to check for email or notifications. What does the "notifications" do?

I'm guessing that by clicking "Follow this topic" you get notified of activity on that topic? Do you just browse everything each time you come to this site or do you have a system for what you view and follow? I can see how this might consume a lot of time if I don't learn some shortcuts. I'm sure I'll learn.

I've looked at other people's signatures and am thinking I should change mine to reflect more of my past meds history. A problem with that is I simply do not have records of what I was on over the years. But maybe it would be a good thing for me to try to gather as much from recall and perhaps even to request records from different doctor's offices and hospitals where I remember being treated. I really like seeing from the signatures, how people are doing and where they've come from.

Thanks again, and feel free to not answer all my pesky questions. I'm sure I'll figure these details out as I go. But it sure is helpful hearing from folks like you!

I did discover how to view my content by going to that section using the arrow next to my name at the top right of the page. Getting there!

From what I've been reading, I think I may be experiencing many withdrawal symptoms and have been for some time. I never knew any of this until recently. 

Thing is, I would have no way now of knowing which drug caused what. So reinstating any drug is probably out of the question. I don't even remember what I've been on and come off of in the past year or two, not to mention over the past 40 years!

I should probably get my records from the past 3 years with the most recent psychiatrist. Maybe that would be helpful. I do know I came off everything a couple times. There was an incredible brief period of almost bliss and incredible clarity (and what some would call hypo-mania). Then incredible crashing and crippling depression and terror/anxiety. Which sent me packing back to the meds doctor. 

I did wean off several anti-depressants over the past several years, not knowing what I've learned here. Is it possible I have done irreparable damage? I remember the worst withdrawal was from Effexor, which I was on for several years. I have gritted my teeth the last couple years through hellish depression and terror/anxiety. Gotten down to Lamictal and Clonazapam, with the hopes of again trying to get off everything someday. 

Now I feel much more informed, but not sure how long the intensity of these symptoms will continue. While some of them may be withdrawal from other meds this past year or even two, could they possibly be actually caused from the current meds I am taking? I think I read somewhere that clonazapam can actually be causing depression and anxiety if it has been kept at the same low dose for long term. I have been on no more than 1 mg for at least 10 years. 

I began a water titration taper of the Lamictal yesterday (prescribed over 10 years ago after being given a bipolar 2 diagnosis - was told that taking anti-depressants alone all the previous 15 plus years had caused me to become bi-polar - not sure I buy into that) My goal is to wean down by 2 mg at a time, holding for a minimum of 3-4 weeks at a time. I don't see how I can feel much worse, but I know worse is possible. I definitely get severe waves and then at least come up for air, but the depression never really lifts. I know because I have lived with it's absence, thankfully, even if not very often. At least I have something to compare to.

I read that I could use this intro topic section of the forum to journal as well as ask questions, so that is basically what I am doing here. I am having trouble at present coming up with a system to log my progress. Does anyone have any suggestions, as to a chart or a simple way to document all that is occuring? The organization of thought and carrying out of basic activities like this seems a bit overwhelming to me. I also don't want to feel like I'm constantly taking my own pulse.

I'll continue to utilize this posting area for now to journal my beginning of this latest attempt to taper down and to hopefully get through the toughest times. I am very blessed to have a wonderful supportive husband who just lets me wail, tremble, quake and shake (and lately vomit) and be exceeding full of fear, safely and in the environment of our own home. But I do have loftier visions for our relationship!

I am looking forward to reading more about others' experiences and sharing in the their hopes.

Hi Chia--  taking ADs for many years does not cause BP2, but the side effects are often misdiagnosed that way.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Chia--  taking ADs for many years does not cause BP2, but the side effects are often misdiagnosed that way.

Hi brassmonkey - yes, I've read that in many of my researchings. Phew, there's much to learn, unlearn and relearn!

Hi brassmonkey - thanks for the welcome. I'm learning a lot from what I'm reading here. Glad you are having an easier time of it each day.

Hi again - It just occurred to me, after reading more on different topics here, that I did not understand your post. I wasn't sure what you meant by making it over and getting the hang of it, and things getting easier. I thought at first it was just my fuddled mind not understanding something obvious. But since then, I've read your intro and see that you and numerous others have left a BB site. I was never on that, this is my first time on any of these sites. Not that you really even need to know all this, but I just felt kind of silly, sitting on my own confusion there for a while...

Okay, since I'm using this intro topic of mine to journal... I plan to look back on these early days of WD and growth and see progress...

For my water taper, I followed someone's suggestion and tried dissolving my tablet in water, lacking a mortar & pestle, and not liking how crushing with a spoon worked. Dissolved perfectly and quickly. So I am dissolving my tablet in the water and weighing it, removing 2mg. It was a big step forward just having that settled. 

Another step taken, a relative gave us their no-longer-used treadmill. My husband and I assembled it today, so tomorrow I begin walking. I have not been moving much at all. 

Another post I read gave a link too a free app called optimism, which was exactly what I needed so I could begin tracking my health and charting my course. I am very thankful for what hope I have picked up from this forum. 

These may seem tiny, but they are my very first steps and to me they are HUGE!

My bad Chia-- I thought I recognized your name from the website that was just pulled out from under a bunch of us a few days ago, and we have all been scrambling madly trying to reconnect.  That's why I made the comments about making it over.

Hi Chia--welcome to the group, there is a ton of information and a lot of very helpful people here.  It can all be a bit over powering and confusing at first, but ask a lot of questions and it will start to make sense.  It is good to see that you have researched and are starting a taper and that you have the support of your husband, which is very important and helpful.  Getting the treadmill set up and using it is great also, keeping active is important.  Be careful not to over do it, many people in WD (withdrawal) find that they can't tolerate much exercise even if they were athletes before hand.

Yes, there is a lot of good support here. I have been relieved to see words given to describe some of what I have been living with.

I think I am seeing a few patterns emerge, ways I have come to view myself having fought these tough battles over the years. Very harsh on myself, thinking much of of my struggles have been core character flaws I cannot overcome or change. But really so much fits these drug withdrawal patterns. Not saying I don't see my flaws at all, or that I am now lumping them into the WD pot, but wow, I can stop fighting against my own brain now. Or see how it is fighting to make a comeback for me. Befriend my brain I guess you could say.

I hesitate to even post some of my behaviors/moods/challenges, I have been embarrassed at myself for so long. Haven't really expressed it to anyone but my husband and one close friend. But there is a level of understanding here that surpasses what they can know. I feel a bit guilty even writing that, like I am somehow lessening their past & present support. I am definitely not doing that.

But just getting my thoughts out like this, here, to others, is new and I feel a bit timid doing it. But I also feel like it is so right and gives me so much hope. I keep using that word, hope, but a little goes a long way with me. 

Just seeing my own thoughts out in writing feels helpful. I burnt all my journals over the years as I was so depressed reading the same morbid tale over and over with no change upward. But now I see there really can be an upward and outward for this. \

Well, better get to sleep if I plan to make my goal of beginning my walking program started in the morning. I don't think there's too much danger of my overdoing it with exercise right now. I haven't done anything for over a year! 

Thanks for your encouraging words.

Hi Chia,

Again, welcome aboard.

Just wanted to mention that you don't need to click on "Quote" unless you want it to appear in your reply. For example, if there were a lot of replies and you want people to see which message or the information in it you're referring to.

But if you're referring to a post at the end of the "thread" (which is basically a string of messages in chronological order), or if you're bringing up a new thought and not specifically replying about what a certain post said, you just scroll down the page a little past where you see the "Quote" button. You'll see a new box waiting for you that says "Reply to this topicl" You can just write your post in the box. Just like email, if you use email. Then be sure to click on the "Post" button below the box and your post will appear next in the thread.

When I joined the withdrawal group that recently closed, that many new members here are from, I had never used a forum like these. Just Yahoo groups (which are more like email). Forums like this work much better for communicating with groups of people. Anyway, I didn't know how to do it, but after a while I became much more computer-savvy than I'd been before. (My previous use of computers had been in business in the very early days of computers, and then "surfing the net" and email. It was kind of exciting to learn all that I did, with lovely people glad to answer my questions on the group.

After a while I was posting pictures, participating in wonderfully fun humorous threads with others, and so much more. Then I was giving computer advice to other people. I never expected that to happen! In fact, I use what I learned so painlessly on groups, in other things I do on computer now. Didn't even have to go to a class!

So you'll be an expert before you know it lol! And use the "quote" button when it will help your post make sense, but don't use it all the time because the superimposed string of previous messages will make it a mish-mash! I deliberately used "quote" for this reply to show you what I mean.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Thanks Brandy, for the posting tips. I see the mish-mash I created. Just like my mind!  :) I will go easy on the quote button.

• 2 weeks later...

Also if you don't need to see the whole quote, you can delete parts of it and just show the relevant part that you want to respond to.  It really helps keep the visual clutter to a minimum.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

• 3 weeks later...

Just popping in to update.

It's taking time to learn how to navigate this site. I still don't know how to get around on it very well. I've been poking around and clicking on different things, that's how I'm finding my way around.

So Dec 22 I started walking on the treadmill. I have walked consistently every other day since then. Started with just 30 minutes plus a 5 minute w/u and 5 minute c/d. Gradually I've increased my speed and now I'm at 35 minutes. I was inactive for close to a year. This was a big step, getting moving.

On Wednesday, December 31, 2014, I had my first day of no crying. It was a not so small miracle. I was having daily bouts of uncontrollable crying for close to 2 months, maybe longer actually. That was in addition to a host of other experiences I now know to be withdrawal related. Horrible mental states. But the crying actually stopped. It has not returned. i never thought it was going to end. I have it written down in a notebook so I will know it really happened. I think the exercise helped it happen.

Now I have an abundance of anger/aggression/apathy. Triple A. 

I am reminding myself this too is part of the drug dilemma. It has been helpful reading about that on here.

I dug into some rx records and found out I was on these drugs over the past 3 years:

Bupropion Hcl

Olanzapine

Abilify

Lorazapam

Fluoxetine Hcl

Amphetamine Salts

Latuda

Zyprexa

Gabapentin

Then there was Effexor for at least 10 years, not sure exactly. I do remember that was hard to get off. I did it cold turkey and I don't remember how long ago I stopped, whether it was 2 or 3 years ago. I am pretty sure that is what caused the reinstatement of the above list, since I knew nothing about withdrawal at that point. I am beginning to see now, why I have been such a mental wreck.

I am having trouble getting my rx records beyond 2-3 years, my rx insurance company is denying my request. Not sure why. I paid for them all, I should be able to request a record. I burnt all my own records in a prolonged despairing state one day last year.

Last week I bought some blue blocking glasses and have been using them in the evenings to see if they help with my uneven sleep cycle.

This week I bought a day-light therapy box. It just arrived and today was day 2 of trying that out. I live in Maine, USA and don't get any direct morning sun all winter. It's also supposed to help get my sleep rhythm back on track. 

So I am moving forward. Maybe I will learn how to join in some of the conversations. There is so much support here. I really appreciate it. Thanks everyone.

Had 2 weeks of no crying, then bam. Woke up and it slammed me. 

As if I wasn't occupied enough with severe agitation/anxiety.

I'm fighting my waves. Still encouraged by all the reading I'm doing here.

Makes me want to press on. 

Just added 400IU of vitamin E to my regimen after reading the fish oil topic. I've been taking 4 grams of EPA (with 600 mg of DHA) consistently for quite a while now and have been wondering if it's providing any benefits. I'll see if the E makes any noticeable difference.

I plan to edit my signature as soon as my mind can manage it. To better reflect what a cocktail I've been on and just as suddenly off. It's putting a lot of my instability and anguish in perspective.

Just journaling... hope someone visits me once in a while... :)

Hi Chia--  Glad you got a two week break from the crying.  Funny how this WD stuff can turn so fast.  Sunday morning I was feeling great, just after lunch heavy depression, then by three feeling good again.  It always boggles me the way it keeps changing.  How are the blue blocking glasses doing?

Oh hi brassmonkey! Thanks for visiting! Yes, I'm with you on the changeability factor. I see from your signature you have been at this a while. And you're nearly at. your goal, that's great. Well the glasses, I'm wearing them faithfully, every evening past sundown. Hasn't been that long but between that, the morning light-therapy and getting to bed at a regular, earlier time, I'm attempting to regulate my sleep. The glasses do help me feel sleepier toward bedtime. But I still wake up through the night and too early in the morning so my body-clock is still regulating. I don't know if sleep will regulate while I'm in WD, but I'm doing whatever I can to assist the process. When I do wake through the night, I am sweating, and I wake the last time before rising, right into this nasty heavy depression and awful anxiety. Ugh. But I'm reading and reading, and there's lots here to keep the focus on the end result. Thanks again for the visit!

I'm really interested in the glasses.  My wife had bad sleep problems, but I don't think it helps that she is on the computer till 2 or 3 am and then tries to go to sleep.  I'm thinking that the glasses may help.  Boy I hate the night sweats. I use to get them sooo bad, I would sleep on a towel to keep from soiling the bed too badly.  They did go away after I had been tapering for a while.  Careful not to OD on information, there is so much to take in and analyze.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chia--

I just skimmed your thread, but may have missed something, so forgive me if something I say seems a little "off." I don't have a lot of time today and given your history I really did want to drop in and talk to you.

You started psych drugs before your brain was fully mature, and you've been on them your entire adult life. Although this is, unfortunately, a common story for folks, it's pretty unusual for us to get someone here on the forum with that extensive of a history. So it's harder for me to give advice; I can't say "well, this is what's worked for dozens of folks in your situation in the past." 

But one very consistent thing I've noticed right from the start of talking to folks with psych drug histories is that the earlier they were started on the drugs and the longer they've been on them, the more challenging the tapering is going to be and the longer the recovery time is going to be. You're pretty much the extreme case of that. And your brain is not as young and quick-healing as it once was. So please, be gentle with it.

And it sounds like you've been on and off a lot of drugs just in the past few years, which also tends to mean that folks are going to be extra sensitive to changes. 

So here's just a couple of things I'd suggest. First, even if you change nothing else at all, you are probably in a condition where you would be having lots of symptoms for a long time regardless. I wouldn't even recommend starting a taper at this time, given your history; if it were me, I'd hold everything exactly where it is for about a year, just to give my CNS a chance to arrive at some kind of stability or homeostasis. People do so much better at their tapers when they start in a place of homeostasis.

However, you're cutting only 2 mg from 200 mg of Lamictal, which is a high enough dose that you may do okay with it. I would recommend holding your new dose for a good long while, at least a couple of months, maybe three, just to make sure you're stable, and then next time cutting by a smaller amount.

You're probably going to continue to have a lot of ups and downs due to the changes you've already done, with other drugs, recently. It sounds like you're probably used to this kind of emotional/biochemical chaos. Please be cautious; just because you're used to it doesn't mean it has to be that way, and it also doesn't mean it can't get worse. We do find that people do best with as much stability and consistency as possible.

I'm confused by your description of how you're making your solution: you dissolve it and weigh it? Unless you have an extremely sensitive high-tech lab quality scale, I can't imagine being able to get the kind of accuracy you need by weighing your solution. Was that a typo? We generally recommend using syringes and labware to measure liquids.

Given your history, realistically if you want to get down to the lowest possible dose of the fewest possible meds, it can be done, but you need to look at this as a many-year project. The slower you go, the greater your chance of success. Please consider slowing down, taking a break, giving your nervous system some time to heal, and making long-range plans. That's what actually works for people.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I'm really interested in the glasses.  My wife had bad sleep problems, but I don't think it helps that she is on the computer till 2 or 3 am and then tries to go to sleep.  I'm thinking that the glasses may help.  Boy I hate the night sweats. I use to get them sooo bad, I would sleep on a towel to keep from soiling the bed too badly.  They did go away after I had been tapering for a while.  Careful not to OD on information, there is so much to take in and analyze.

I really think the glasses are worth a try. I have two types, from all my research. I purchased 3 types and tried them all, sent 1 back. The only that a lot of folks is a simple, very inexpensive pair of safety glasses.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000USRG90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see they are cheaper today than when I got them! I paid $8

Don't be deceived by how bright things look in these. They really do block the blue light. All of it.

I say that because I bought another pair that can go over my reading glasses and are darker. Much darker. Both block the blue light.

Here's that link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LWJCJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm keeping both since sometimes I want the darker effect to wind down with. I use the brighter ones just after sundown when I still have things to do that I want to be able to see better. Then I switch to the darker ones as the night wears on or when I'm on the computer. I also installed the free FLUX software to cut down the blue light on the computer screen. That helps a little, but the glasses do the real job. The over the glasses style can be worn with or without glasses, what's good is they wrap around and don't let "stray" light in. Just to be safe that I don't get stray light in especially from my overhead sink light, which I really do need to be under at least some in the evening, I wear a baseball cap or sun visor, keeps that light from coming down into my eyes. My husband doesn't mind the dorky look,

Here's a pair that does NOT block the blue, even though it claims to. Sent them back, no problem getting a prompt refund. But here's that link so you don't try them. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWGIM6Y/ref=pe_385040_127745480_os_2p_1_1_ti/190-1134332-5333954

Sorry to sound like a walking advert, but since I've already done some research and am actually using mine, thought you might benefit. I really recommend giving them a try. Relatively inexpensive experiment. 

Oh and yes, thanks for the reminder not to OD on info. I am very aware of my tendency to do that. 

Hi, Chia. I will read your thread in more detail later, but have been scanning through it just now. Sounds like you have quite a history. Hope this site will be of a lot of help to you. Looks like you are finding your way around the site pretty well. I was proud of myself when I figured out on my own how to use the "quote" button, but when using the phone, it is a different situation. I can "quote", but can't figure out how to add my own comment above or below it..? I end up only quoting when I am on my laptop.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello, let you know I checked out your thread, and thank you for stopping by mine. Hope you have a good day.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hi Rhi and thanks SO much for your reply to my post!

First, I asked my husband to explain why he is having me do my taper the way I am. He is a an engineer in a research lab, and has a minor in analytical chemistry. So before he runs off to start his project he is here now and explaining it thus:

"Volumetric glassware is calibrated to be accurate at a certain temperature, normally 20 degrees celsius. Then of course, you need to sight the meniscus properly, which takes some training. That's my main concern with glassware.

The scale we are using is accurate to 0.01gram. The weighing plate is enclosed in a draft shield for measurement stability. The weight is independent of small temperature fluctuations, unlike liquid volumes.

We're diluting the 200mg lamotrigine pill in 100 grams of water, including the pill weight. So 1g of water equals 2mg of lamotrigine which we remove with a pipette while the medicine is in suspension."

There. I couldn't have explained that at all. I feel confident about the measuring process with my husband's oversight.

I just skimmed your thread, but may have missed something, so forgive me if something I say seems a little "off." I don't have a lot of time today and given your history I really did want to drop in and talk to you. So glad you did. It means a lot, I value your time and that of others here.

You started psych drugs before your brain was fully mature, and you've been on them your entire adult life. Although this is, unfortunately, a common story for folks, it's pretty unusual for us to get someone here on the forum with that extensive of a history. So it's harder for me to give advice; I can't say "well, this is what's worked for dozens of folks in your situation in the past." 

Now that I have found this site, I have hope. I can now ask questions as they come to me. And it is my hope, as I journal and add entries here to my thread, that suggestions and tips will come as they are needed, as folks reply, such as you have done here. I can't emphasize enough how thankful I am.

When I first came to this site, I had never been on a forum before and didn't quite see the importance of a proper topic title in terms of directing people. I first said "Brand New Here" Then one of the moderators changed it to the current one of "tapering lamotrigine, maybe clonazepam later"  Can I change it once more time? To reflect that I'm becoming meds free after 40 years? I think my current topic is a bit limiting to who might visit my thread. For instance, when I saw the topic "protracted WD survivor" I immediately knew I should go there. And I am so glad I did. That is exactly what describes me! So if you think there could be benefit from a different topic title, please let me know.

But one very consistent thing I've noticed right from the start of talking to folks with psych drug histories is that the earlier they were started on the drugs and the longer they've been on them, the more challenging the tapering is going to be and the longer the recovery time is going to be. You're pretty much the extreme case of that. And your brain is not as young and quick-healing as it once was. So please, be gentle with it. Yes, I should post this on my fridge, I think I am going to need constant reminding.

And it sounds like you've been on and off a lot of drugs just in the past few years, which also tends to mean that folks are going to be extra sensitive to changes. Yes, I am still discovering and remembering just how many different drugs I've been on and off over the years. Unfortunately I do not have records that date back very far. I am in the process of getting records from my most current psychiatrist, for the last 3 years, of everything she's had me on and off, and for how long. I will probably adjust my signature as I get more information.

So here's just a couple of things I'd suggest. First, even if you change nothing else at all, you are probably in a condition where you would be having lots of symptoms for a long time regardless. I wouldn't even recommend starting a taper at this time, given your history; if it were me, I'd hold everything exactly where it is for about a year, just to give my CNS a chance to arrive at some kind of stability or homeostasis. People do so much better at their tapers when they start in a place of homeostasis.

However, you're cutting only 2 mg from 200 mg of Lamictal, which is a high enough dose that you may do okay with it. I would recommend holding your new dose for a good long while, at least a couple of months, maybe three, just to make sure you're stable, and then next time cutting by a smaller amount.

Uh oh. I hope I don't get scolded here. I did begin a taper on the clonazepam on Jan 5. But only by .02mg. My husband drew up a taper plan for me that accounts for a 3 year process for both meds. But we are aware that this will need to be adjusted according to how I respond. I've read many of the posts of people who have multi-tapered. 

You're probably going to continue to have a lot of ups and downs due to the changes you've already done, with other drugs, recently. It sounds like you're probably used to this kind of emotional/biochemical chaos. Please be cautious; just because you're used to it doesn't mean it has to be that way, and it also doesn't mean it can't get worse. We do find that people do best with as much stability and consistency as possible. Excellent point. Yes, I am very used to the emotional/biochemical chaos. So there is the tendency to think "how much worse can it get?" But I am aware that it could always get worse. I think you are the only person who has ever expressed to me that it might not have to be this way. I will definitely ponder that.

I'm confused by your description of how you're making your solution: you dissolve it and weigh it? Unless you have an extremely sensitive high-tech lab quality scale, I can't imagine being able to get the kind of accuracy you need by weighing your solution. Was that a typo? We generally recommend using syringes and labware to measure liquids. Already explained above.

Given your history, realistically if you want to get down to the lowest possible dose of the fewest possible meds, it can be done, but you need to look at this as a many-year project. The slower you go, the greater your chance of success. Please consider slowing down, taking a break, giving your nervous system some time to heal, and making long-range plans. That's what actually works for people. Okay, so noted. I have to really consider how to proceed. I hope I don't get boo'd too much if I continue forward with my current plan. The desire to actually be DOING something toward getting off these last two drugs is SO very strong. Even if doing something is going down in very small, slow steps.

Thanks again, so much. 

I really think the glasses are worth a try. I have two types, from all my research. I purchased 3 types and tried them all, sent 1 back. The only that a lot of folks is a simple, very inexpensive pair of safety glasses.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000USRG90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see they are cheaper today than when I got them! I paid $8

Don't be deceived by how bright things look in these. They really do block the blue light. All of it.

My mousepad is ultrasensitive and bounces the cursor all over at times. I didn't proofread enough. The red highlighted sentence above should read:

The one that a lot of folks highly recommend is a simple, very inexpensive pair of safety glasses.

Hi, Chia. I will read your thread in more detail later, but have been scanning through it just now. Sounds like you have quite a history. Hope this site will be of a lot of help to you. Looks like you are finding your way around the site pretty well. I was proud of myself when I figured out on my own how to use the "quote" button, but when using the phone, it is a different situation. I can "quote", but can't figure out how to add my own comment above or below it..? I end up only quoting when I am on my laptop.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello, let you know I checked out your thread, and thank you for stopping by mine. Hope you have a good day.

You're way ahead of me with the phone. I still have one of those flip open, dinosaur-era phones. My daughter wants me to take her smart phone (she upgraded) and says she will teach me how to use it. Ha! I don't know if you've ever seen this older video clip, but it may make you smile. The old man is me learning how to use an iphone or an ipad.       

Hope you have a good afternoon and evening. It's sunny here in Maine and I am sitting by my bay window, so I am having a sunny window day.  I sit here specifically so I can say that now that I've read about waves and windows.  :)