SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ chia1214: 40 years coming off - tapering lamotrigine, clonazepam

chia1214

Had no internet for a week or so. I was able to use my phone to occasionally browse the site, but not post. Continuing to stay out of the abyss, very thankful. Having the time off the internet was good, I think I'll make it a practice.

So no news is good news as far as rough symptoms go.

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2011 Lithuim Gabapentin Lunestra, Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam

2012 Taken off all but Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam, began Zyprexa

2013 Abilify replaced Zyprexa (high lipids) added Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

Clonazepam 0 mg Benzo free as of May 30, 2017

Lamotrigine 0 mg as of Jan 7, 2018   

• 1 month later...

Time for a post, it's been a while. I'm trying to learn how to manage my moods/emotions. Symptoms have shifted. Depression has deepened. Night sweats and frequent night wakings. Incredible agitation (irritability, negative thoughts, negative attitudes, hostility, anger, impatience). Morning anxiety. Random crying spells. 

This has been coming on, I've been able to keep it in check, but I'm under the waves at present. 

Have read on others' threads but have not been able to participate/reply/contribute. 

Wow. When it's dark and stormy, it's dark and stormy. Just wanted to break my own silence. I'm thinking this is going to be the scenario for the foreseeable future.

Just another SA'er, putting one foot in front of the other. Don't need anything, just staying connected. Trying to be a responsible forum member... 

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for update chia.     Just one foot in front of the other at the moment.   Plod plod.

Are you still holding at 0.92?

:)   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hiya brassmonkey & Fresh, thanks for visiting. 

Fresh, I just took a look at your intro thread and the videos. Brave of you to do that. So glad you are out of that place and nice to see your photo at the BBQ.

I'm hoping to update my sig today to better reflect what I've been on & off and when. On Feb 16th I leveled out the Clonazapam to 0.90 and am going to focus on the Lamotragine taper for a while. S-l-o-w-l-y. Then I may alternate and drop down some on the Clon. for a while. 

I'm torn about how much to be on here, how much to disclose, how to respond to others, etc., keeping it all in the context of the purpose of this forum. Really, I can't add much to all the experience and wisdom that's here. But I know I need to document my case, as part of my commitment to being here.

Hi Chia-- It sound like thing are going pretty smoothly with a good plan in place.  Slow and steady YES.  Keeping a journal here is for your own records so you can see how far you've come, what is working for you or not.  Helping others is secondary.  Any writing about how you feel and handle the situations that come up, your thoughts and what you are doing in your life are all of help to others.  It's not about giving concrete advise, but by being a living example and showing the uniqueness of your journey how you think, feel and what you do to get through it.  That's why, back at Prior Place, I use to ramble on about my Halloween stuff, the garden, shopping for cars, doing taxes, because I  wanted people to see that, even though we are fighting our way through WD, they still have a life and other things that can be done at the same time, and to record for myself that I was capable of more than just suffering  Your journal is also the place to "think through" and delve into the life changes and personal growth that are a big part of this whole thing.  A place to work out that second chance at life that we are so luck to have received.  By doing so "in public" we may spark ideas and strength in others so they can do the same thing in their way.

(((((((((((((((((((MORE HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Okay, finally pulled my notes and memory together and updated my sig to better reflect my drug history. Now I'll just change the dose as I decrease. I understand it, hope it's clear to those who read it.

brassmonkey your post came through while I was posting this. Yes, I get it, the reasons for journaling. Since this is the beginning of my once-for-all withdrawal and I have never been on a forum before, I think I just have to get used to the idea, especially doing it "in public".

I should have my DH draft some entries for me, since he has a better perspective of just how much I can do and am doing while suffering. Good points, to be able to look back and see that. Speaking of shopping for cars, we did last month. And bought one. First ever owning a brand new vehicle. Let's see, I'm also keeping my house wicked clean, laundry is kept up, meals are being made and eaten, even snacks for DH. Still doing projects for church people when needed. 

Still doing my treadmill, but recently had a bum knee so had to slow up on that. So keeping a routine is crucial, you mentioned that on your thread. 

There, I put a few plugs in for myself! Thanks for the impetus!

I am copying a post over to my thread from one I posted on an older thread. I realized after the fact, that I asked a question of the person who began the topic, but they haven't been active since October of last year.  Still taking me a while to catch on here...

The topic I'm referring to is: 

(Long past)traumatization might seriously exacerbate your complaints

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:32 PM

hippopotamus, on 13 Feb 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:snapback.png

*continuance of my story of my emergence out of trauma* By now, I dont need the cd anymore to get in touch with traumatic stuff. Somehow my mind and body have learned how to connect to traumatic stuff if there is some stuff that needs to be processed and somehow they have also learned how to do this without terrible anxiety coming along with it. But I dont know if I would have developed this ability without the use of the cd. I think I used the cd somewhere about 40 times.. Also, if I hadnt been giving tools in hand to start to work through my trauma's on my own, I think therapy would have lasted endlessly. Having had a traumatized childhood, there's just an incredible amount of **** that needs to be dealt with. Working through the trauma's really is a journey towards myself, towards the unburdened, free and beautiful person I was always meant to be. Every time I go through some stuff and integrate it, it feels like *I* am expanding. I regain parts of myself.... I regain the ability, the room, to be spontaneous, to experience child-like joy, to be immersed in feelings of wonder. I regain playfulness, laughter, connection and love. This is one of the greatest gifts I could have ever been given.

Hi Hippo, I see this is an older topic, but it was mentioned in another topic I was reading so I came to have a look. Do you have the name of that CD you refer to? I was curious to know more about it. Obviously it was very helpful to you. I recently had my very own trauma release experience and it was quite liberating. Just came about as if my psyche took over much like a pimple coming to a head. No counseling, no prior reading of this forum, but when I came upon this topic, I went "ah HA!" I realized I had gotten in touch with a hot spot and connected it with my present reactions. A couple childhood experiences came to my recall and provided good insight as to why I respond the way I do in certain situations. I'm excited! It was a big step, more than I can convey with words. 

You mentioned above in post #37 " Every time I go through some stuff and integrate it, it feels like *I* am expanding. I regain parts of myself.... I regain the ability, the room, to be spontaneous, to experience child-like joy, to be immersed in feelings of wonder. I regain playfulness, laughter, connection and love. This is one of the greatest gifts I could have ever been given. "

That really resonated with me, and was what I felt after my recent moment of truth. The couple days following it were characterized by a calm which had been full of unabated anxiety and fear, so I know it was a real release and time of growth. New neurons being formed! So thanks for starting this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Updating my thread: I am 4 months into tapering. My psychiatrist is fully on board my decision to wean off psych. drugs and live life free of them. She wants me to educate her, as she really does not know this whole w/d world and all that these drugs do. She goes by the book and her experience, and I don't fault her personally for any of my see-saw cocktail experiences since I've been her patient over the past 3-4 years. I was suffering from ct wd's  and protracted wd from previous ct's and I knew nothing about that nor about how any of these drugs were affecting my CNS over the years. So she got my case and tried to help the standard way. Try this, if it doesn't work, try this, keep trying, keep hoping for relief. And I kept showing up and asking for it.

I'm glad now, to be going to appointments with an entire paradigm shift. Just giving her an update on how weaning is going, keeping updated on my scripts. My last appt a couple weeks back was just that. See you in 3 months for another check-in. Nice to be leaving it behind.

So I go forward. Some smooth days, some not so smooth. Still hard to regain balance when I reel, but I do come out of the spirals. Yesterday was so vastly different in its pleasantness and ease of mind, I was quite taken by surprise by the experience.

I'm still finding it hard to dialog on here. Don't know why exactly, just seems to be a block when I go to write something on my own thread or comment on someone else's. I end up deleting everything. I would like to improve on that, but that's where I'm at right now. 

Chia, just wanted to say a big thank you for posting on my thread. It did bless me. Big time. Thank you. And so I read yours. Amazing. You have really lived an incredibly productive life so far, imagine what's ahead!

You asked about my experience with the Walsh Protocol...it has been much more helpful than I would have expected. But it is not necessary for people who just were medicated by mistake. But if someone is stuck, I think it is worth looking into. But, you are obviously not stuck :). As you mentioned night sweats, I will add that I am looking into natural progesterone therapy. I had blood work done and will get results next week. I am also looking into the Wahls Protocol, which is using natural, whole foods instead of supplements like the Walsh Protocol. If I had known of if, I would have tried that first. How I amuse myself as the years of tapering go on...

Remember, you're not really Chia. An anonymous forum is a great place to try out new things. Especially since we're all on your side!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi Chia,

I hope you are following your topic so you'll see I wrote you something here, maybe it will help you get past your 'block'....

You asked about tags in member's topics. Tags are created when a first post to start a topic is made and they cannot be changed afterwards. You cannot add tags either when you are replying to topics. They are kind of not very useful in as much as there are no set tags (they are determined by the user not by the board) so if someone creates a tag such as 'stupid', it will be meaningless as far as relating it to other tags and other posts and people. As in: how does the tag 'stupid' relate to other posts here? You see how weird that is? When people first come here they are not often aware of how to categorize their first post.

They are a feature of the board software. Not all features are helpful, however. The thing that is the most unhelpful is that you cannot go back and edit tags after they have been formed in the first post.

Thank you for commenting on my thread and it is always nice to hear something from you!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Okay, at the risk of getting laughed off this site....

With nearly 4,000 members, how do you people decide who to follow, who to reply to, and how much time do you spend on here doing that??

Just think of this as a poll, send me your answers. I really want to know.

My! It could be a conundrum if you have OCD, or codependency or boundary issues, or paralysis by indecision or, or......

I'm not saying I have any of these issues.....

Switching subjects - I have had a definite shift and my plane is sailing a bit high. Not just a calm, but a bit of a high. Last time this happened I was declared to be manic. So I'm not telling anyone but you guys. Shhhh... Now I realize I simply feel good. Sheesh. Since when is that a psychiatric diagnosis??  So wonderful I am no longer seeking the opinions of the medical or psychiatric community.

Some new "symptoms"

I belly-laughed for the first time in like, ages....

I had a desire to listen to music, and I did listen, first time in like, ages....

The music sounded wonderful, and I not only heard it, I felt it.....

I hugged my husband repeatedly and smiled at him like, for most of the day, for several days in a row....

I wanted to write to everyone on here personally and shout, "The hole didn't swallow me!!!!!"

I went grocery shopping for the first time in like, ages...

I want to attend church for the first time in like, ages... (I have attended, but this weekend, I actually want to...)

I feel alive, first time in like, ages...

There's a few more, but you get my drift...

Oh, the first song that came to my mind was "Feelin' Groovy" by Simon and Garfunkel. I realize this dates me... So I found it on youtube and played it over and over, loudly, and felt like I was hearing music for the first time in my life. Really weird, but I went with it.

I am so glad my brain is churning and doing its thing and DH and I made it through a really l-o-n-g stretch of bad. The only thing and best thing, that we did different, was we didn't go to the doctor. We're reclaiming my brain.

So, that's my update. What I couldn't write in my silence of doom, I now shout from my stand-up desk, which I made last month when I gave up sitting. 

(I do sit a little, but no more than one hour or so total per day anymore. I was turning into my own worst vegetable. I had to kick the sitting habit. Yes. Cold turkey.)

I think you are delightful, Chia. Enjoy every feel good moment.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I read all the threads, but I skim through the one's who are tapering because I'm a CT gobbler.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Wow, that's a lot of reading! Thanks for replying to my "poll".

Hi Chia--  That was such an excellent update.  OMG don't tell the Doctors she's feeling normal things.  I found the best thing was to feel good quietly not publicly, because, like you said, people think you're going manic.  Congratulations on making it through a very nasty wave.  I'm sure you already have, but make a point of thanking DH for being such a rock, the support that loved ones give us is invaluable and needs to be acknowledged when ever possible.

Back at Prior Place I tried to make a point of welcoming every newbie and following as many threads as possible.  While I was in acute WD it was reassuring to me and was a way to learn a lot about what we are up against.  I found for myself, and I saw it in others, that it is very important to "friend" two or three people who are at about the same place I was.  It is possible to tell by someones writings what their attitudes and personality are like and I chose to get "closer" only with the ones I really clicked with.  For me, I had to sort down the field otherwise it was just too over whelming.  The natural thing is to take on some of other peoples sufferings because we understand so well and because we want others to take some of the burden off of us.  But in doing so it is very easy to spread our limited energy too thin at a time when we need to be very selfish with it.  There were a number of times I have had to back away because I just couldn't take all the suffering and had to watch out for myself.  Through it all there have been several people that I try and communicate with regularly because we are going through the exact same things, share common interests and are growing together.  Whether we would be friends IRL how knows, but here we are quite close.

As my taper has progressed and my recovery gotten underway I have found myself pulling back even more.  As I am no longer in the thick of it myself, I have found that for my own recovery I can not let myself be bombarded on a daily basis with the details of everyone else's acute sufferings.  It isn't that I don't empathize with them and wish them well, I just can't afford to let them suck me back into the black hole I have been struggling to climb out of. And I want to help each of them so badly, it can get very frustrating.   With SA being a microcosm of real life, there are some individuals I have found, to me, to be quite toxic in their attitudes and beliefs who I pretty much ignore.

This is an amazing group of people.  The amount of knowledge, and research is staggering and the willingness to share and support is exceptional.  To me it boils down to "can I offer something helpful and will they listen", "do I get along with this person", "can I tolerate this person" or "should I avoid this person".

Very long answer to a simple poll question.

I second that emotion by brassmonkey. I'm not one in his inner circle, but I've always liked his attitude.

Thanks bm, for the great poll answer. Not too long at all. Yes Pug, he does have a good attitude. Very sensible and reasonable expectations.

I definitely know I can't spread myself too thin anywhere, especially here. 

I passed your message on to DH. He gets showered by me always, for being my #1 loving supporter. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I just popped in to see how you're doing Chia.  So happy you're in a good space.

Ditto to what brassmonkey said so articulately.    

My ability to be too involved fluctuates , and I need to remember that I'm in charge of looking after myself first and foremost.

It doesn't help me to prioritize cyber-life over real life , and it's an ever-changing balance.

'Reclaiming my brain" . . . love it   :D .

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy World Naked Gardening Day, everyone!

http://www.oregonlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/05/world_naked_gardening_day.html

A friend sent me the link. I got as far as my feet and calves...

Three loads of line dried laundry, partially naked gardening, grocery shopping, menu planning, y'know, normal life stuff, like, how'd this happen???

Four months ago I was in CT WD chaos and hell. Couldn't leave the house, or speak to anyone, was in mental torment, fearful and constant sobbing.

Am I glad I found this site and learned I would survive without more or different meds? Uh huh!

So my update is: not as many wobbly days, many more stable, sunny days. I'm spending much less time online now that the snow has melted and outdoors beckons. LIfe without anti-depressants and life weaning off the bonus meds is indeed survivable and is becoming enjoyable again.

I'm learning my WD pattern and it's getting easier to manage the bumps. Yes I have bumps, that's what I'm calling them now. I'm learning not to completely freak out with myself when I fragment some on my bumpy roadway. 

Yep, that's the ticket, Chia. Just go with the flow as best you can. I had some ugly periods come after some good ones and I just gritted my teeth and got through them as best as I could (but I did have to come and do a dump in my thread a couple of times to let the stress out).

Naked gardening? Be too afraid of nicking a nip to try it....... I am not as adventurous as I used to be.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Just watch out for the roses and stinging nettles. lol

Ha ha, brass.

CW, my friend sent that link to get a chuckle out of me. Not for me, I need my clothes, more so now with extra pounds that jiggle! Nick a nip, ouch!

And yeah, I've got to get the stress out too when I hit an ugly patch. I'm so grateful for my husband, he patiently listens and bears my burdens with me. He's much like Selma's husband, from what she describes.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a brief update: 

Made another Lamictal (Lamotrigine) drop this week. Still holding on Clonazepam.

Still quite steady, feels like I'm really growing new brain cells. 

Haven't been on here much, online time has drastically reduced as I've felt better and have become more active.

My prescribing Dr. has agreed to see me every 6 months through my taper unless I request a sooner visit.

That's it for my case history update! So grateful for the continued improvement to my quality of life!

Thanks again, SA, wouldn't be at this good point without what I learned here!

Yahoo!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

56 years old

• 3 weeks later...

Another dose drop. No issues between last one and current. Mind is calm, at ease and better than I can ever remember. Just returned from a two week trip to visit my mother and also spent time with 6 of my 8 siblings. Couldn't even consider doing this just a few months ago. Had a great visit with everyone. Yay mind!

Way to go Chia!!!!!

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))

I have to put a plug in here.

If you read this, please consider (if you haven't already) making a donation to this site every now and again!

Wouldn't it be nice if today, everyone on here gave a minimum of $5 (don't let me limit you...) What  a nice way to say "Thank You!"

So much priceless information, precious people, tons of time and work for a handful of volunteers! 

Pay it forward!!

End of plug.  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

What a lovely idea chia , thanks for the reminder  :) .

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Thank you! Good to hear you're doing well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Another 1% dose drop on 6/22 then another 7/13

Very slow taper =  very stable life = very boring SA posts = but incredibly full, rich, unbelievable level of functioning and living and being able to serve others.

Less than 25mg down on Lamotrigine in approximately 7 months. Not changing the Clonazepam until I feel like it. It may seem painfully slow, but I will not go a crumb or a drop faster. My brain and my mind are serene and I'll pay the price of checking in at the scales every evening. Worth every milligram. 

Broken record I know, but credit goes where credit is due. Thanks to God for answering prayers and directing me to SA.

Thank you everyone on my thread who encouraged me when I first came aboard and as I was setting up shop for the long haul while spiraling in the deep throes of major withdrawal. Thank you to those of you who cautioned me to GO S-L-O-W. I am and I will and it is my saving grace.

I am not on here much anymore. I am simply not online much anymore. It is not for lack of gratitude or appreciation. It is because I am fully engaged in the lives of my family and those around me in my church and community. More than I ever have been.

It is becoming clearer and clearer that the psychotropic and anti-depressant drugs prescribed and taken over a 40 year period wreaked complete havoc on my brain, mind and life. The cycle is broken forever for me. Hoping this gives enormous hope to even one reader out there.

I will be back again, maybe posting the exact same message, but gladly if it gets better and better like it has been. This is my journal and my journey now and it is one I began here. I will continue to the finish line of zero mg.

(((((((((((((((((((( HUGS TO ALL WHO ENTER HERE, STAY HERE AS LONG AS NEEDED, AND MOVE ON FROM HERE! ))))))))))))))))))))

Please don't forget to donate to support this site if you can!     -- Chia

This is  so encouraging to everyone, Chia. Thank you for the update. I'm so amazed at how well you have done, after such a history with the drugs. You were on them for years, and "cold turkeyed" a number of times.  I can relate to that  !!    If you don't mind me asking , to what do you attribute  "Your success " ?  Also , I think this will give enormous hope to a lot of readers , out there, including myself.   Please keep us posted.  I'm happy for your recovery. :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Broken record I know, but credit goes where credit is due. Thanks to God for answering prayers and directing me to SA.

Glad you are feeling so good Chia.

I also am very thankful for these support places and esp for a prior place.

It is not a coincidence we are here.

I shudder to think of trying to have nutted out this horror story all scripted by a doctor by myself. In short i never would have and i hate to think where i would be otherwise.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

What do you mean ? Nz !!.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

I so love it! I think of you often because I have started doing sprouts/micro greens with CHIA in the rotation. Glad for whatever words you have time to share, and so glad you are out in the wide, wide world!!!

56 years old

Hi Chia-- it is so great to hear your are doing so well.  That is the whole purpose of the SLOW taper, to maintain quality of life, and you are a shining example.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))