SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ chia1214: 40 years coming off - tapering lamotrigine, clonazepam

chia1214

Thanks for the encouraging words Tom, Alto, Shep. And for the sun! 

A nice start to 2017.

I greatly appreciate all you staff, all your work & dedication.

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2011 Lithuim Gabapentin Lunestra, Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam

2012 Taken off all but Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Clonazepam, began Zyprexa

2013 Abilify replaced Zyprexa (high lipids) added Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

Clonazepam 0 mg Benzo free as of May 30, 2017

Lamotrigine 0 mg as of Jan 7, 2018   

I know I'm posting very infrequently now, since WD has taken a backseat in my life

What a wonderful to place to be in.

Wishing you amazing tapering success in 2017 chia.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• 2 months later...

Hello again, whoever is out there. :)

First I realize I omitted thanking H2H for visiting a while ago and thank you also nz11, both of you for your kind words. I hope I didn't forget anyone else, I appreciate everyone's visits and comments. 

I'm back for my latest update, I made another small drop in my clonazepam yesterday. I am amazed how I can feel and experience my brain healing. It's my friend again. Maybe actually for the first time since some of the innocent days of my childhood. I said to my husband this week, "Its been a while since those days of anguish and torment of mind, hasn't it?"

"Mmm hmm, he agreed." We are grateful, humbled, settling into an extended season of calm which is bringing peace into our lives individually and as a couple. Long awaited, contentedly and joyfully welcomed. We've come through a very, very, long dark tunnel, into the sunshine of recovery. No, rather, of victory. Of triumph. Now to love, to live, to grow, to give. 

Oh Tom, if you read this, I am loving my Gemini-20 Milligram Scale. It is going to be my reliable companion as I continue my taper caper. 

I became AARP qualified this month. The only thing retired in my life now is my formerly futile outlook, my formerly trapped, drugged, chained mind.  Ahhh.

Safe and slow, but steady journeys  into better places, good people.

-- Chia

Edited by ChessieCat
changed member name

Read my intro here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7569-chia1214-tapering-lamotrigine-maybe-clonazapam-later/#entry110043

1975 Hospitalized and first exposure to psych. drugs age 13-15 Haldol, Tofranil, Cogentin, Thorazine. On and off numerous AD’s & AP’s no records until 2000

2000 Celexa, Clonazepam 1mg – never exceeded 1 mg except occasional emergency use

2004 Lamictal (Lamotrigine), Effexor, recall add-on trials of Lexapro, Prozac, Wellbutrin during this time also

2007 Lithium added, switch Effexor to Pristiq, still on Lamictal (Lamotrigine) Clonazepam. Some cold turkey quits of everything over the years. No knowledge of WD

2014 Discontinued Abilify, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Adderall, added Latuda, Quetiapine, then stopped those.

December 2014 Found SA Began slow taper of the only remaining two drugs I'm taking

Now that's the type of update I love to read.  I'm so happy for you Chia.

Happy birthday and welcome to the old fogies club.  I've been busier since I retired a year ago than I have been in a long time, and totally enjoying it. As you eluded to, not retiring but grabbing life, love and everything and taking it for all it's worth.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor

wonderful update Chia!

you are one of my heroes and I am so grateful to you for coming back to let us know how you are doing.

enjoy every moment, relish them!! it is, afterall, what life is all about.

:)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful update, Chia. As someone else who was drugged as a teenager and spent decades on these drugs, I find your account to be so inspirational. 

Sending healing vibes your way. I hope your "extended season of calm" continues and you find much peace and healing after so many years. 

• 2 months later...

Updating my journal here. So, as of May 30th this year, I'm off the benzo, Clonazepam (generic Klonopin). Now I will taper down the Lamotrigine (generic Lamictal). I'm looking forward to crossing that off my list too. 

I don't think it is a coincidence that all traces of anxiety have disappeared since my last couple doses of Clonazepam. I think the drug was actually causing the symptoms. And perhaps the symptoms which led to my being put on the Clonazepam were just side effects from the other drugs I was on. Seems that is the case, since now that I've been off all anti-psychotics and anti-depressants for a couple years and just now left off the benzo, I have zero anxiety & fear responses out of the blue, which were pretty much constant companions while I was on the drug cocktails over the years. 

So yay, another drug gone from my brain, one to go. Kind of bittersweet to have to have this as a goal at all in my life, but glad I haven't had to go it alone. I've said it many a time and I'll say it again. Beyond thankful for this site and all the support found here. 

-- Chia

Congratulations on being Benzo free.  That is a major accomplishment.  I'm so glad it's made a big difference in the way you feel.  Take a nice rest before your next taper, let everything settle out and enjoy the feelings.

((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))

Brass

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor

I am so happy for you Chia! what a wonderful update!

I'm another one with a long history of psych meds (although fortunately not started as quite so young an age, I was 18)

so it's esp encouraging to me to hear that someone can make it thru this and come out the other side.

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • 2 months later...

I'm back for an update!

This week I had my final visit to my psychiatrist. I had dropped down to one visit every 6 months, once I established my taper plan. With an ample supply of refills to last beyond my expected taper conclusion, we said our farewells. This is her last month of employment at this center, she is costing the business too much and actually cares about the health of the clients. Now an RN is replacing her as the MD. Such is the health "care" business. She's going into private practice and I wish her well. I'll send her a postcard now & then.

I've recently responded almost miraculously to a complete zero carb diet.  I've gone LC before but because there were always meds in my system, I didn't have the results I was hoping for. I have experienced more clarity of mind than I ever recall having in my lifetime. I'm eating fatty, clean beef & raw grass fed, jersey butter and drinking plenty of water. I've never felt better. This works for me. I make no claims to endorse it for anyone. We're all different. Another benefit that occurred within 3 days of my ZC way of eating was a complete cessation of severe hip pain. I was nearly crippled. I haven't had any pain since. Amazing really. That's what clued me in to continuing. I do have an impingement on my left hip which is a separate issue, but that only causes some discomfort if I move my hip in a very specific & extreme position. I am monitoring that and already see some improvement. My body & brain do well on high quality beef & fat. Weight loss is an added benefit to the primary goal of improved physical & brain health.

This week I also tested positive for Lymes Disease. I believe I have avoided any severe symptoms by having already being free of carbs. Most people get joint pain with Lymes, mine went away. So I know my body is taking care of this. I am being treated and am educating myself just like I did when I came here 3 years ago. I'm also hooked up with good, online, ZC support which is also very beneficial. It appears most of the medical profession is as clueless about tick borne illnesses as they are about rx drugs.

I began a 10% taper as of June of this year. I have responded quite well to the drops and as my brain continues to heal monumentally, I feel confident with my pattern. My goal is to be off my final psych med to usher in Spring of 2018. My p-doc remarked at my final visit this week, "You're back to the old you." I corrected her. This is not any resemblance to an old me. This is such a new me as I have never experienced. I have not known this level of aliveness, calmness, clarity, full range of emotional engagement with appropriate self-control, etc. I am learning new things in a way I've never been able to learn before. My memory recall, short and long term is improving daily. Even earlier this year, I could not recall the words I was trying to find, names were almost impossible to recall and my brain fog was tolerable but annoying. I was beginning to resign myself to accepting that as collateral damage from 42 years of pharma. Nope, not a life sentence. I began ballroom dance lessons with my mate and we are looking forward to enjoying the years ahead, one day at a time. Truly God is restoring the many years the locusts (drugs and labels) have eaten.

Restoration is occurring almost at an exponential rate compared to even the past year and a half. Gains are huge cognitively and my spirit is peaceful. Does it sound too good to be true? Trust me it is true. When you've lived blind and deaf in the physical world and gain your sight and hearing, no one would dare tell you you're still blind and deaf. It's laughable when I consider any who've never been where we've been, would even suggest we don't know the difference when such shifts occur and the lights dawn brighter each day. I don't plan to discuss it much with anyone anyway. I'm just going to find out what God wants me to do now that I can function fully, and do it heartily. I'm sharing it here because this is where I've hung my heart and my hope during the worst and the best of my climb out of my jello pit. No one else came close to even having a clue what this beast has been like. I love this place for that.

I could write much more, but these are some highlights which give a good overview of where I'm at these days.

I will be back in December for a quarterly report. I encourage all who read this and are still struggling, press on. We're made to be free inside and full of joy in all of life's ebb & flow.

Warmly,

Chia

• Moderator Emeritus

This is so beautiful to read Chia! Thank you for coming back to update!

We live off stories from the other side like this :) As someone who is still working on 2 drugs (and looking into years of tapering), I'm particularly amazed that the anxiety disappeared as you stopped your benzo.

Wishing you continued healing.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, chia1214 said:

Restoration is occurring almost at an exponential rate compared to even the past year and a half. Gains are huge cognitively and my spirit is peaceful. Does it sound too good to be true? Trust me it is true. When you've lived blind and deaf in the physical world and gain your sight and hearing, no one would dare tell you you're still blind and deaf. It's laughable when I consider any who've never been where we've been, would even suggest we don't know the difference when such shifts occur and the lights dawn brighter each day. I don't plan to discuss it much with anyone anyway. I'm just going to find out what God wants me to do now that I can function fully, and do it heartily. I'm sharing it here because this is where I've hung my heart and my hope during the worst and the best of my climb out of my jello pit. No one else came close to even having a clue what this beast has been like. I love this place for that.

This is such an amazing post, truly, Chia. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. :)

Hi Chia-- it's so good to hear that you're doing so well.  All the positive changes, wow.

((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

Brass

• 3 months later...

I'm back for my quarterly report, seems these past 3 months slipped by so fast! I remain on course to be off my final drug by Spring 2018. I'm enjoying learning about healthy boundaries these days. I'm learning what my triggers are and how to trace the emotional charge back to earlier life experiences so I can uproot and destroy some of my unhealthy thought patterns and reactivity. Lots of years of destructive habits to say goodbye to! It's good to be growing up! Without drugs this time. 

My focus for 2018 is to continue to heal, grow and serve others as opportunities present themselves. 

Wishing a new year filled with realized hope, to all!

Warmly,

Chia

Hi Chia-- It's wonderful to hear such a warm and positive update. Wishing you good holidays and continued healing throughout the spring and new year.

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))

Brass

• 3 months later...

Update and confession:

Hello readers... I completed my taper a couple months early. I am currently on 0.000mg of any type of drug. After 44 years of "treatment" and a 3+ year controlled taper. 

The terrain was rough this last jump off, but I knew I just had to hang on and my brain would come to homeostasis. And it has. It is a magnificent organ. I have made amends to it and it is very forgiving. 

Someday I may try to document more details about the journey, but I don't feel ready currently. My healing is taking me on new paths and I'm finding I'm losing interest in looking back, even to see how far I've come. But there will be things I want to share because they may be helpful to someone else.  Having read the experiences of others has been and remains helpful to me. It's how community works. It brings hope.

I just wanted to hop on here today before the month is gone, since I've committed to my quarterly updates. And I've reached my taper goal. That is a milestone I have to record and share!

It is amazing to me how the brain can heal. Don't ever, ever, ever, give up. The sun is absolutely always shining. Those clouds are just that. Clouds. They will always clear and for me I had to come to see they are not reality. Even though they seem very real at times. 

If anyone has any specific questions I will be glad to answer. I'll try to log in at least a couple time a month. And at some point I really will try to organize my thoughts and share more of the details of the journey I've traveled. Right now I'm just enjoying being reunited with my brain.  :)  We're going to spend some quality alone-time together, it's been a helluva ride...

Keep pressing on!

Warmly,

Chia

• Mentor

YAY Chia!!

so very happy for you!!

Congratulations Chia!!!  I'm so excited that you're finally free.  It's been a long and eventful journey, but I'm so proud of how you've handled it.  Funny thing about being off is that we tend to forget the details of how bad things really were.  You know that they were really bad, but can't pull up the exact memory.  It's the brains way of protecting  us from further trauma.  In a few years this will all be a foggy memory as you move ahead with your new life.  Wanting to separate from the whole thing and leave it all behind is an important part of healing.  When you are ready we would all like to hear your success story and any thoughts you might have on the post "0" experience.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))

Brass

On 3/18/2018 at 12:16 PM, chia1214 said:

Update and confession:

Hello readers... I completed my taper a couple months early. I am currently on 0.000mg of any type of drug. After 44 years of "treatment" and a 3+ year controlled taper. 

The terrain was rough this last jump off, but I knew I just had to hang on and my brain would come to homeostasis. And it has. It is a magnificent organ. I have made amends to it and it is very forgiving. 

Someday I may try to document more details about the journey, but I don't feel ready currently. My healing is taking me on new paths and I'm finding I'm losing interest in looking back, even to see how far I've come. But there will be things I want to share because they may be helpful to someone else.  Having read the experiences of others has been and remains helpful to me. It's how community works. It brings hope.

I just wanted to hop on here today before the month is gone, since I've committed to my quarterly updates. And I've reached my taper goal. That is a milestone I have to record and share!

It is amazing to me how the brain can heal. Don't ever, ever, ever, give up. The sun is absolutely always shining. Those clouds are just that. Clouds. They will always clear and for me I had to come to see they are not reality. Even though they seem very real at times. 

If anyone has any specific questions I will be glad to answer. I'll try to log in at least a couple time a month. And at some point I really will try to organize my thoughts and share more of the details of the journey I've traveled. Right now I'm just enjoying being reunited with my brain.  :)  We're going to spend some quality alone-time together, it's been a helluva ride...

Keep pressing on!

Warmly,

Chia

Hi Chia, 

Congratulations on becoming med free.  I can feel your determination and strength throughout your thread. 

I do have a question or maybe it's encouragement I'm looking for from you regarding your Lamictal/Lamotrigine taper.    This is my final medication to taper and I'm down from 200mgs to 10mgs.  

I feel very down these days, want to cry a lot and feel fearful that I can't get off this particular med.  Not many people on the site are tapering Lamictal and that's why I wanted to reach out to you. 

Did you struggle at these low doses and is there anything you did to help you through the Lamicat wd?  Thank you.  Hibari

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

On 3/18/2018 at 9:43 PM, brassmonkey said:

Congratulations Chia!!!  I'm so excited that you're finally free.  It's been a long and eventful journey, but I'm so proud of how you've handled it.  Funny thing about being off is that we tend to forget the details of how bad things really were.  You know that they were really bad, but can't pull up the exact memory.  It's the brains way of protecting  us from further trauma.  In a few years this will all be a foggy memory as you move ahead with your new life.  Wanting to separate from the whole thing and leave it all behind is an important part of healing.  When you are ready we would all like to hear your success story and any thoughts you might have on the post "0" experience.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))

Brass

Hiya Brass!  - You are such an encouraging moderator! Thanks for bringing up the point about distancing and healing, that's a rightly supportive comment! I never thought about it, but it does make sense and seems to be a natural outflow of my moving forward and becoming more engaged in the present moments of life at last.  I really would like to come back and share some of my recovery success story and thoughts at some point, as I mentioned. So stay tuned!

((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) ))))))))  Right back to you!

Chia

On 3/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, Hibari said:

Hi Chia, 

Congratulations on becoming med free.  I can feel your determination and strength throughout your thread. 

I do have a question or maybe it's encouragement I'm looking for from you regarding your Lamictal/Lamotrigine taper.    This is my final medication to taper and I'm down from 200mgs to 10mgs.  

I feel very down these days, want to cry a lot and feel fearful that I can't get off this particular med.  Not many people on the site are tapering Lamictal and that's why I wanted to reach out to you. 

Did you struggle at these low doses and is there anything you did to help you through the Lamicat wd?  Thank you.  Hibari

Hello Hibari, 

I skimmed through your intro thread before coming back here to reply to your question. Yes I did still experience waves and then a shift into a clear window all through to the end. I did jump off sooner than I had originally planned but felt it was time. It was an intuitive thing. As I mentioned in my last post, my ride got bumpy after I jumped off my last dose completely, and I did expect it, but it was still hard! Sometimes we do just have to face the pain and go through it. From what I read in your intro thread, you do have a pattern to your waves and windows and you ARE moving forward. Our feelings really can try to trick us into believing lots of lies about ourselves. But when things shift we see things differently. It seems to be a common pattern for all of us as humans, not just as humans going through meds wd!

You wrote that you are going through menopause, That was a complication for me during my wd also. I came across an interesting article called Mindfulness In Menopause by Lynda Wisdo. You can find it online. She expresses some interesting thoughts about our emotions as we go through this hormonal change of life. Here is an excerpt:

"But, what exactly is it within the subconscious that, for some women, can cause such emotional and physical havoc at midlife?  Keeping in mind that it is from within the subconscious that our emotions arise, it is important to also keep in that it is within the subconscious that, if not appropriately processed and released, our emotions and their related memories will be stored.  The junior high breakup you never really cried over, the missed prom, the infuriating boss you could never let loose and swear at-- all of the emotions from these events are stored as energy within the subconscious, energy that once perimenopause rolls around, begs to be released.  For some women, this stored energy can become even more disruptive during perimenopause when events such as an unreported rape, unrevealed childhood sexual or physical abuse, or an abusive partner remain hidden within the psyche.  When this is the case, for some women, the resurfacing of energies during perimenopause may be so intense as to result in a true crisis, one with physical and emotional challenges that may be too difficult for a woman to manage alone. At times like this, it is best to speak to a gynecologist who may offer suggestions regarding, psychotherapy, transitional counseling, and/or other menopausal guidance.

Whatever the magnitude of the life events, any emotions which have not been processed and released will be stored as energy within the body through the subconscious.  For most women, we’ve been able to keep these stored energies at bay for years, even for decades, our wonderfully bountiful supplies of estrogen and progesterone calling us to do precisely that-- steering us toward raising our families and building our careers, activities driven more by what external forces require of us.  Certainly, there isn’t anything wrong with this time of outward focus.  It’s all just part of the amazing cycles that are so uniquely feminine.  Some of us may even have had glimpses of these disruptive stored energies earlier in our lives when we would experience physical and emotional challenges quite similar to perimenopause during our menstrual cycles in the form of PMS.  Knowing these challenges would pass once our menses arrived, however, we knew we could ride out the sadness, the anger, the fear, the sleeplessness.  Once our stores of both estrogen and progesterone begin to dwindle on a more permanent basis during perimenopause, however, these emotions and energies that we’ve been able to keep neatly tucked away in our minds and bodies are no longer willing to be denied.  All of a sudden, we find ourselves overwhelmed with  mind/body challenges so severe we have no choice but to turn our attention inward and begin to heal."

For me this seemed to ring true, as I began to examine my life and get in touch with some of these strong emotions. They were signals to me. And they still are. Yes the wd process complicates things, but things will settle down and our brains and minds do heal. I can see your healing in your story. Be patient and gentle with yourself. 

A couple small practical things I did after I jumped off my last dose were I did a gut cleanse (chose one a friend recommended, there are lots online) and took 15 minute tub soaks in epsom salts (magnesium)  to pull the drugs out. For me the magnesium soaks are very soothing, calming and relaxing in addition to being quite therapeutic. Lighting a few candles and listening to some relaxing music while I soaked was also pleasant. I made sure I didn't soak more than 15 minutes, as I read somewhere that after that, the toxins being pulled out of your tissues can be re-absorbed. Whether that's so or not I couldn't say, but I didn't want to take any chances. Anyway, soaking makes me feel good and sleep great. Win-win.

Bit by bit, we move forward! 

Warmly,

Chia

•  
On 3/21/2018 at 10:09 AM, Hibari said:

Hi Chia, 

Dear Chia,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and caring response.  It means a lot to me and I resonate with much of what you have written.

I skimmed through your intro thread before coming back here to reply to your question. Yes I did still experience waves and then a shift into a clear window all through to the end. I did jump off sooner than I had originally planned but felt it was time. It was an intuitive thing.

I get this.  I intuitively started tapering Lamictal 6 months after my Remeron taper and then also intuitively jumped off Remeron at higher dose as well. 

As I mentioned in my last post, my ride got bumpy after I jumped off my last dose completely, and I did expect it, but it was still hard! Sometimes we do just have to face the pain and go through it. From what I read in your intro thread, you do have a pattern to your waves and windows and you ARE moving forward. Our feelings really can try to trick us into believing lots of lies about ourselves. But when things shift we see things differently. It seems to be a common pattern for all of us as humans, not just as humans going through meds wd!

Thank you for taking the time to read through my thread and it's good to be reminded that you see my pattern of windows and waves.  Yes, my mind can be a dangerous neighborhood, especially when I'm not feeling well.  Even pre meds when I get sick I see the world differently and darkly. 

You wrote that you are going through menopause, That was a complication for me during my wd also. I came across an interesting article called Mindfulness In Menopause by Lynda Wisdo. You can find it online. She expresses some interesting thoughts about our emotions as we go through this hormonal change of life. Here is an excerpt:

"But, what exactly is it within the subconscious that, for some women, can cause such emotional and physical havoc at midlife?  Keeping in mind that it is from within the subconscious that our emotions arise, it is important to also keep in that it is within the subconscious that, if not appropriately processed and released, our emotions and their related memories will be stored.  The junior high breakup you never really cried over, the missed prom, the infuriating boss you could never let loose and swear at-- all of the emotions from these events are stored as energy within the subconscious, energy that once perimenopause rolls around, begs to be released.  For some women, this stored energy can become even more disruptive during perimenopause when events such as an unreported rape, unrevealed childhood sexual or physical abuse, or an abusive partner remain hidden within the psyche.  When this is the case, for some women, the resurfacing of energies during perimenopause may be so intense as to result in a true crisis, one with physical and emotional challenges that may be too difficult for a woman to manage alone. At times like this, it is best to speak to a gynecologist who may offer suggestions regarding, psychotherapy, transitional counseling, and/or other menopausal guidance.

Whatever the magnitude of the life events, any emotions which have not been processed and released will be stored as energy within the body through the subconscious.  For most women, we’ve been able to keep these stored energies at bay for years, even for decades, our wonderfully bountiful supplies of estrogen and progesterone calling us to do precisely that-- steering us toward raising our families and building our careers, activities driven more by what external forces require of us.  Certainly, there isn’t anything wrong with this time of outward focus.  It’s all just part of the amazing cycles that are so uniquely feminine.  Some of us may even have had glimpses of these disruptive stored energies earlier in our lives when we would experience physical and emotional challenges quite similar to perimenopause during our menstrual cycles in the form of PMS.  Knowing these challenges would pass once our menses arrived, however, we knew we could ride out the sadness, the anger, the fear, the sleeplessness.  Once our stores of both estrogen and progesterone begin to dwindle on a more permanent basis during perimenopause, however, these emotions and energies that we’ve been able to keep neatly tucked away in our minds and bodies are no longer willing to be denied.  All of a sudden, we find ourselves overwhelmed with  mind/body challenges so severe we have no choice but to turn our attention inward and begin to heal."

This was a gift to read and it resonated with me deeplyGoing into menopause was part of what triggered my deep depression but not the whole picture.  For years I trampled on my nervous system and so estrogen and progesterone drop were heightened by stress and exhaustion.  I am a big believer in the body-mind connection yet for a period of time ignored my body's signals.   

For me this seemed to ring true, as I began to examine my life and get in touch with some of these strong emotions. They were signals to me. And they still are. Yes the wd process complicates things, but things will settle down and our brains and minds do heal. I can see your healing in your story. Be patient and gentle with yourself. 

Again, it's reassuring to have your perspective on my journey.  I am learning patience and gentleness.

A couple small practical things I did after I jumped off my last dose were I did a gut cleanse (chose one a friend recommended, there are lots online) and took 15 minute tub soaks in epsom salts (magnesium)  to pull the drugs out. For me the magnesium soaks are very soothing, calming and relaxing in addition to being quite therapeutic. Lighting a few candles and listening to some relaxing music while I soaked was also pleasant. I made sure I didn't soak more than 15 minutes, as I read somewhere that after that, the toxins being pulled out of your tissues can be re-absorbed. Whether that's so or not I couldn't say, but I didn't want to take any chances. Anyway, soaking makes me feel good and sleep great. Win-win.

Thank you for these suggestions, they feel right to me.   The 15 minute soak is interesting to learn. 

Bit by bit, we move forward! 

Yes, I am taking the next steps.

Gratefully,

Hibari

Warmly,

Chia

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine