☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

Hi Jopro,

Thanks for dropping by....gee stuff gets around fast in the blogosphere.

41  months thats 3.5 years ...its a long journey but it is worth the wait keep on hanging in there i noticed some nice little gains in cognitive stability around the 4 year mark.

Joined the gym at 4 yr mark at 96 kg ..i have tried my best to exercise even though i have felt i have been treading water mostly now 1 yr on i am 95 kg ...oh dear i am going to have to just 'move it' a bit quicker  i guess.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

Congrats NZ on your 5-year Mark!  I'm grateful for your research and the information you've complied about "how to complain."  That's a brave step, that many of us have shied away from.

In my case - which fragging doctor do I file on?  The diagnosis one?  The one who put me on the lithium & reboxetine?  And who is helping me taper, now?  So many doctors, so many bad choices.

Anyhow, congratulations - I know this much - you probably wouldn't trade the clarity you have now, for anything you had on the drugs.  That's  how I feel, anyway.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi Jan thanks for the kind words.

yep for sure about the drug thing.. i can think of a wise saying i saw on pp i think it was 'I am wise because once i was foolish' .

As for complaining, not one of us should feel too intimitaded to complain we have every right too. I bet everyone of us gave uninformed consent....so thats an ethical faliure to start with.

Hey but what a great place to be in ...why complain about one when you can complain about all of them!

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Today started a new book ..probably take me a few months to get through it...its 410 pages

This is what it says on the very first page even before the contents page...

"Warning

Do not abruptly stop most psychiatric drugs!

Stopping psychiatric drugs should usually be done gradually and only with professional guidance."

Why am i outraged disappointed in this ...

Because the book is Toxic Psychiatry by Breggin and it was written in 1991.

Question: Why is it that even now in 2015 doctors still dont know this fact?

I certainly wasnt told this.

We should write and complain or as Vince Boehm said "Its time for another hunger strike"

This caught my eye flicking through the book Breggin page 376 says

"Going to a psychiatrist has become one of the most dangerous actions a person can take".

Note:  this book was written in 1991 !!!!!!!!!

Interesting Gotzsche said the same thing in his latest 2015 book.

Recovering paxil addict

I have turned my Whitaker 'anatomy..' into a bit of a coloring book

Check this out on page 107 a quote from Lars Martensson 1984 Swedish physician in a presentation to the world federation of mental health conference in Copenhagen

"The use of neuroleptics [antipsychotics] is a trap...it is like having a psychosis-inducing agent built into your brain."

.sometimes i like to to track down the source document and see it for myself so i discovered Whitaker is quoting Lars from this "Should neuroleptics be banned". article available online

http://archive.is/www.larsmartensson.com

My goodness what a very sobering read....here is an excerpt from it ....just love that Charles Darwin quote

A legal ban of all neuroleptic drugs

The argument for this law is that the harm of neuroleptic drugs far outweighs any benefits, and that the present intolerable situation cannot be corrected soon enough by other means.

Psychiatric opinion holds that neuroleptic drugs are most clearly indicated in acute schizophrenia, and that other uses are more questionable. For example, it is warned that these drugs are "too potent" and "too unsafe" for "trivial" uses. In Sweden about 1,000 people get the diagnosis schizophrenia each year, while about 100,000 persons get neuroleptic drugs on any one day. The indication acute schizophrenia thus accounts for no more then one or a few per cent (say, 0.5 - 2 %, depending on definitions) of the total consumption.

We have seen reasons why neuroleptic drugs are particularly harmful and dangerous when given to a young person in acute schizophrenic crisis. Psychiatrists would generally agree that if neuroleptic drugs are not good for schizophrenic people, they are not good for anybody.

From the three initial statements of this paper, taken together, it follows that neuroleptic drugs are indeed bad for schizophrenic people. These statements have been supported by the evidence and arguments given in the rest of the paper. It then also follows that the drugs are bad for other people. Accordingly, neuroleptic drugs should be banned.

The residual discussion as to whether there may be some legitimate uses of neuroleptic drugs that would warrant a consumption in the vicinity of 0% of today's level, is irrelevant in this context. It should not be allowed to cloud the main issue and to delay the political decision.

No doubt the resistance of the psychiatric system to the needed change will be enormous. Psychiatrists will lose their most efficient system for management and control. Those who are motivated more by desire for prestige and power then for truth and the well-being of patients and society, will resist the change. But, deep in their minds, perhaps even they will be relieved. An experienced psychiatrist, on the threshold of retirement warned: "But Lars, you have to remember: then everything they have done all their life is wrong" and "it is a system that works".

The psychiatric profession is in a dilemma. We are reminded of the truth that what is really blameworthy is not one's past errors, but rather one's refusal to face them and learn from them. We see that, when it comes to the most serious things, we are more willing to forgive others than ourselves. We see that forgiveness, and first of all self-forgiveness, is a liberating virtue.

Psychiatrists as a group are not more mature in this respect than others. They need outside help to kick the destructive drug habit. Many of them will welcome such help, if only silently.

The answer to our question is:  Yes, neuroleptic drugs should be banned. The next question is: Do we have the moral will and courage to eliminate an element in society that is contrary to our highest values? If so, the evil of neuroleptic drugs shall be eliminated by forceful political action.

When we look at other times and cultures, we see clearly that momentous evils were covered up or justified, considered "necessary", in the name of the reigning religion or other totalitarian ideology. The neuroleptic drug phenomenon shows that the same is true in our own society.

We still hope that our "religion" is different, because humanism – science – democracy is, in principle, self-critical, self-corrective, self-reflective in accordance with the structure of man's highest mind, which – thanks to its self reflexive structure (?) – is free, creative, responsible and without set limits.

We hope, but today as always, it takes courage and action to make of hope a new reality.

The tools of psychopharmacology are as great a threat to the inner man, as the tools of war to the outer man. Scientists and physicians should be sobered by seeing their responsibility for this evil.

Almost thirty years ago Michael Polanyi (1957) wrote an article in Science (8) with the title Scientific Outlook: Its Sickness and Cure, and he said:

"Today... the power exercised previously by theology has passed over to science; hence science has become in its turn the greatest single source of error...

I am convinced that the abuses of the scientific method must be checked, both in the interests of other human ideals which they threaten and in the interest of science itself, which is menaced by self-destruction, unless it can be attuned to the whole range of human thought."

Innumerable scientific studies show that neuroleptic drugs are effective in reducing psychotic symptoms. Such studies typically extend over two years at most. In every respect, thus also with respect to time, such studies take only a small fraction or aspect of the patient's life into account. We have seen, for example, that the short term psychiatric "improvement" may be correlated with long term personality deterioration.

The ratings and measurements of psychiatry have their uses. But when these partial truths are allowed to stand for the whole truth, the result is evil. Truer measures of human beings are those in the eyes of another of his kind who sees him and loves him; and those of his own hopes and dreams. Psychiatry has not understood this moral imperative. It has become therefore a tragic and cruel mismeasure of man.

It seems fitting to conclude this paper, at a conference on laws and legal institutions in relation to psychiatry, with a quote by Charles Darwin that appears on the first page of a book by Stephen Jay Gould (1981) (9) with the title you just heard, The Mismeasure of Man:

"If the misery of our poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin."

................//................................

Keep this Darwin quote in mind ....when considering Whitaker on page 210 says:

"Imagine a large auditorium filling up every day with 250 children and 850 adults newly disabled by mental illness, and you get a visual sense of the horrible toll exacted by this epidemic."

Whitaker says these numbers only hint at the true scope of this modern plague for they are only a count of those who have become so ill that their families or caregivers are newly eligible to receive a disability cheque from the federal government.

Then keep this in mind when considering Whitaker pg 245

"The prescribing of psychotropic drugs to 2 year olds and 3 yr olds began to become common place about a decade ago and sure enough the number of severely mentally ill children under 6 years of age receiving SSI has tripled since then rising from 22,453 in 2000 to 65,928 in 2007."

..............................we are going mad!!.................................

SSI = supplemental Security Income

Recovering paxil addict

• 1 month later...

Well what a day....

Today i attended a one hour hearing for my claim of medical misadventure against my ex doctor.

My main aim was to have my voice heard. The ex doc never turned up apparently he didnt legally have to ...what a disgrace.

Anyway i went in with some Alto-isms firmly inscribed in my mind...

"Do not raise your voice

Do not cry

Do not get angry

Speak assertively and confidently and Smile."

Pleased to report i succeeded at all of the above.

To be successful i had to prove,

1. the doctor had acted negligently ...no sweat to prove that.

and 2. I had a provable injury. ...sadly pssd is not provable and trauma in withdrawal is not provable.

Result: I loose!

Well so what i got to have my say and that is important.

I did real good.

They tried to argue that ive been off the drug for 5 years so it cant be due to the drug.

But i argued the Rhi trellis / vine analogy and that they were seeing these drugs totally wrong they are brain altering chemicals not things that can be taken intermittently.  They were clueless and i told them the doctors reports are clueless.

Anyway i feel very proud of myself b/c in the past when i have confronted doctors face to face and been belittled and rubbished although holding it together i later lose it driving home and cry and start manifesting akathisic symptoms.

Today on the drive home i felt empowered and there was no paxil induced cognitive implosion.

The adjudicator even asked if she could have a copy of the aussi class action suit details that i mentioned in my verbal attack on my absent ex doctor.

As i left she whispered ...we need more people like you who will stand up and complain.

I have also learnt that there is now another body of medicine i can complain to ...the NZ medical council...complaint initiated today.

https://www.mcnz.org.nz/fitness-to-practise/making-a-complaint/

However i also learnt at the meeting that my ex doctor is no longer registered.so they said .....ugh so if that is the case i cant make a complaint to the medical council. damn!!

Perhaps he has had enough of my 5 years of complaints and it is still ongoing. If that is the case i have shown him up for being incompetent,  negligent coward and maybe the cognitive dissonance got to him.

I am going to look into his registration status in the next few days.

So when the hearing dismiss my complaint and they will because i have no evidence i can then request a court hearing and though i will loose, if it doesnt cost me anything i think i will just take it to court for the hell of it and make some other people listen to me.

How dare my ex doc cancel his registration i was just warming up......damn him what a coward as usual. Maybe he has left the country.

I think i might give his neighbouring pharmacist a visit today and 10 copies of the aussi class action suit to pass on to patients.

Well i said i get through today and i will reward myself ...i will either relax listening to nz play aussi at cricket or go to see the new Bond movie out yesterday....

i think i will do something enjoyable i will watch the ...........Bond movie.!!!

No crying , no anger...no raising of voice,  no cognitive implosion, no akathisic shaking, whimpering and restlessness.......thats an improvement...and thats good.

Just wanted to say ...

Met someone today  who is 91 and not taking any medications he has never taken an antibiotic and grows his own vegetables he lives independently with his wife and looks about 70 yrs old.

Thats clearly the result of saying NO!!

later ...nope just drove past and popped in to old pharmacist and ex doc is still operating...not sure what these people were talking about.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Clap! clap! clap!  Well done.  Very proud of you as I can tell you are of yourself.  And you have every right to be.

Maybe the "doc" will take his own medicine?!?!?

Just a thought though, there may come a time when you will need to decide that enough is enough.  Don't let it become a millstone around your neck.

Congratulations.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks cc

Point taken.

However complaint procedures are put in place so people can complain.

I am entitled to do so.

As i say silence is not acceptance. If people do nothing horror stories will continue to be written.

Do you think Erin Brokovich should have been quiet and let it all go ??? Just a thought.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

So true nz ,   and I'll take it one step further and propose that those of us who are able have a social

responsibility to speak up in whatever form that may be . . . feeding back results to gp's and psychiatrists ,

sharing information to re-educate them , utilizing complaints procedures , pursuing medical negligence 

action where possible.  

If not us , then who?

It sounds like you conducted yourself with aplomb , big congrats there.  A real achievement.  You deserve

to feel proud.  

:D

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh.

Totally agree and thanks for the kind words.

Yep if for no other reason then we have a moral obligation for sure.

i am so proud for you too re the legal action you are taking. I am totally with you in spirit on that one!!

Some of these people are so clueless ...get this they asked me how to pronounce 'paroxetine' .

Can you please tell the cricket boys to come home ....we are out of our league.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice work NZ, sounds like you handled it all brilliantly.  You are quite the activist - I can picture you in sunnies and hat handing out copies at the pharmacy.  Inspiring, and like you say, all the voices will eventually add up.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks Karen for kind words.

So tell me ...hows your letter going to the HDC and CARM...??? No pressure....well only a little bit perhaps..

I left 10 copies with pharmacist the woman said 'well its peoples choice if they want to take these drugs'

People just think you take take or stop taking this stuff intermittently at will. Everyone is clueless i just said well maybe so but people have a right to be informed so you might like to pass on  the class action info to patients.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

My letter to carm?  My dog ate it...

Okay, well I have been and got a copy of my medical history which was step one.  And today I did go upstairs to use the computer to start, but my husband was fixing it. 

It's in the pipe-line, closer and closer.  And despite how all that sounds, I actually do want to do it. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Well just got in from seeing the new Bond movie it must have been about 6 years since i went to see a movie.

I found it a bit disappointing however not as disappointing as the cricket score i heard on the radio; Day 1 Aussie 2 for 416! Oh my its bad real bad !!

Why do we bother playing these people. Honestly its an embarrassment.

KarenB i'm pleased you are still going to write the letter to CARM ...all that is going to happen is they will simply acknowledge it...that is all.

Its not a big deal. But every voice helps...

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

But surely every kiwi knows that the only real sport is rugby?   

8 month hold.

Hey ...how come under my avatar it says, '0 warning points'

it appears no one else has such a counting...eg Raglan.isn't under observation.

Is it only Eketahuna in the crosshairs??

is it '0 warning points' but some warning points are in the pipeline...

Is someone threatening me ?? Am I under observation??

what the....!!

Listen will you just listen...put that gun down!

Recovering paxil addict

What will get you (0)? warned

Arguing with a moderator or the administrator in a topic or in a pm....maybe mamaP found my abusive pm's? (just kiddin mammap)
Attacking another member in a topic....Well i did tell iggy not to place others to the left of her on the suffering continuum. it didnt turn into a catfight though.
Harassing or stalking another member....ok well i did kind of fancy member 'lovegoddess', and yes i did read posts by  Fresh and CW ...ok ok i admit  i did it without signing in  but..i wouldnt call that stalking.
Recruiting your friends to gang up on a member. im a paxil addict i dont have any friends

Racist, sexist, homophobic, anti-Semitic, or other hate speech....ok i take back all that stuff i said about aussies...and the aussie DRS system.
Aggressively advocating religious practices...well i have been a bit too religious about my daily sa logins..but i have kept that too myself..ok well i did tell some people to join sa ...but i didnt push the issue. ok i did just a little.
Drug shopping or recommending drugs....i think its a well established and observed fact that i would be the last person here to trigger this one. I dont even rec the prozac bridge.
Insisting on nonsense about the causes of so-called psychiatric disorders and withdrawal syndrome....well i have insisted on vomiting forth nonsense at times but only in the fact i call psychiatry complete nonsense.

Personally i don't think i have done any of these but i guess that's  open for debate....yes o.k i have said unrepeatable things about the Chappell brothers ..i regret meant that!!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

LOLOL , relax nz ,   you're being over-sensitive.

There's only a problem if your warning level says 1 , 2 or 3.  You'd have received a message about the

issue by then. We can only see our own warning level , not anyone else's.

While we're on it , if you see BLOCK in red next to a name on a private message , this does not mean that

that person has blocked you.  This is what you press if you want to block that person.

I logged in yesterday and it said ACCOUNT  SUSPENDED.  

Immediate reaction:  what the f... have I done now?

Spent the next 40 minutes trying to log in , and think of what I had written that morning that could possibly

have offended anyone.

Emailed Alto:   My account has been suspended , is there a problem?

Response:  Sorry ,  it's a site issue , will be sorted.

Neuro-emotions . . . they're sneaky , be on the lookout or they jump up on you.

:)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Very clever post.  At least I am in the "right" frame of mind to read it and think it funny without having to re-read it.

I've never agreed with what Chappell did as captain.  If the Kiwis had hit a six, good on 'em.

CC 

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

oh yeah Fresh you are right ...when i dont sign in i dont see it.

Phew ...i feel so much better now!!

How come i didnt notice that before....well whataya know ya learn something new everyday...

Glad to see im not the only one who gets the heby jebies when i see the red 'block' ...or 'account suspended'...for a moment this week i thought it was pp all over again.

Note to myself:

Stop harassing 'Lovegoddess' and

Stop stalking Fresh and CW.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Love it NZ.  I thought I'd got myself banned too the other day.  And it took me quite a while to work out the 0 warning points thing.  

8 month hold.

Thanks for comments cc and kb...you two sure are accumulating the numbers on your post counter.

819 posts

345 replies,

5,027 views , and

2 warning points.

Not too bad for my first year at sa really.

Recovering paxil addict

So funny thanks for the laugh!

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

• Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, my counter is going up cause sometimes sitting at computer is all I can do.  Today I feel blah because I'm tired of being blah...  Stupid wave that isn't ending.  Tomorrow I am going to try to find some more positive somethings, possibly in the garden.  

I see you have a sunshine by your name - when did you get that, and do you want to update your sig so we can see where you are today? 

I like your posts cause they always make me smile.  So keep up the good work, and don't get banned either.  Do you really have 2 warning points?  I thought it was 0.  Sorry, ignore me if that's a bit nosey :blink:.

Karen

8 month hold.

Thanks Karen...well it was 3 but i got them down to 2!!

Recovering paxil addict

Gotta rush this here before i loose it .

Want to put it here for future reference.

Altostrata  just wrote this, I hope you find it helpful:

I'm dealing with some digestive issues myself now. Although I don't think my current condition is related to withdrawal (more likely, hypothyroid), I know many people have severe gut issues after coming off antidepressants.

My theory now:

1) Serotonergics, such as antidepressants, downregulate serotonin receptors throughout the body, including in the gut. 95% of the body's serotonin is found in the gut. Serotonin in the gut governs motility -- the essential coordinated muscle activity that moves food through the digestion process, allowing nutrients to be absorbed and toxins to be excreted.

2) When you come off a serotonergic, the downregulation of serotonin receptors in your gut causes dysregulation of this important digestive hormone. It's not a lack of serotonin; rather, the nerves are not communicating with each other normally and the rhythm of digestion is thrown off. Quite often, this results in bloating, dyspepsia, and loose bowels. (Among other drugs causing dysmotility are stomach acid blockers and opioid pain drugs.)

3) When food is not moved at the proper pace through the gut, it can cause problems, such as fermenting, which produces gas. This can be in the stomach, small bowel, or large bowel. (Sedentariness can affect gut motility. Get regular exercise.)

4) Another function of motility, the periodic migrating motor complex (MMC), is to sweep bacteria from the small bowel into the large bowel. The small bowel should not have much bacteria in it. An unusual amount of bacteria here is called Small Intestine Bowel Overgrowth (SIBO).

SIBO is thought by some researchers to be responsible for Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and possibly fibromyalgia . The MMC, which is controlled by the vagus nerve, is very important to maintaining the health of the digestive system and entire body. It may play a role in fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and other autoimmune disorders, which tend to have a high correlation with IBS.

Certain foods called FODMAPs are thought to feed the SIBO. A low FODMAP diet or other low-carbohydrate diets often reduce symptoms.

5) All the above can prevent proper absorption of nutrients, such as B vitamins and minerals, causing many other symptoms. The gut irritation can also cause food sensitivities, such as histamine intolerance (which I've also developed).

I've had the lactulose breath test for SIBO and it seems I have a mild case, possibly due to slowed motility from Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. This can be treated with massive doses of antibiotics with about a 50% success rate. Naturopaths claim some success with an herbal approach.

Here are some things I'm doing before trying antibiotics:

1) Low-FODMAP diet to reduce symptoms, plus lots of fresh green non-FODMAP vegetables. (It was fairly easy for me to identify which foods cause me problems. Add in foods after a month or so.)

2) Fresh ginger and exercise for motility. (I drink tea made with thin slices of ginger and carefully nibble the ginger.)

3) Klaire Labs Interfase enzymes or lactoferrin to break down bacteria biofilm, which is where the SIBO hides.

4) Herbs to control SIBO: rotate black cumin seed oil, oregano oil, olive leaf extract, grapefruit seed extract, berberine, each for a week, twice a day. Add fresh herbs to food, as tolerated. (Do not overdo these herbs, you'll make yourself sick.)

5) Raw coconut oil and monolaurin to weaken microbes and yeasts.

6) Organic ground psyllium to regulate bowel movements. (Do not use if you are constipated.) The lower bowel and upper bowel "talk" to each other. Good motility in the lower bowel is communicated to the upper bowel.

7) Raise feet when going to the toilet for a bowel movement. This is a modified squatting position that enables full evacuation without straining. All you need to do is put your feet up on a box that is 7"-9" high. This has worked well for me.

Still dont know how to copy and paste someone elses quote but this will suffice.

I assume 'loose bowels' is diarrhea like stools. When you gotta go ya gotta go and if its not diarhea-ish then its like crapping scrapnel - no part of the porcilen is safe ! seriously. Lost count of how many times i had an accident in public esp in acute withdrawal. Sorry for the TMI. So if you go for a walk always keep in mind distance from WC. That was a lesson i learnt anyway. Even at 5 years off im still having a close calls...like 2 days ago.

Fermenting is the reason for my world famous among friends and family flatulence. Thinking of auditioning for the brass section of the orchestra.

wow and thankyou so much for the reference for 95% of bodies serotonin is in the gut. Knew of it but didnt have a reference.

Recovering paxil addict

Thought id save this too ....ok i know its vain but i did put some work into it.

nz11, on 28 Oct 2015 - 9:21 PM, said:snapback.png

Welcome Chessiecat
Regards
from the ginger cat.

Just thought id let the cat out of the bag, and put the cat among the pidgons on something ...
in 2005 the FDA public advisory issued a statement that 'abrupt changes in dosages can cause suicidal and homicidal ideations'
Unfortunately thats how the cat jumps. Sadly when it comes to the doc informing of this ..the cat seems to have got his tongue and besides they will just play cat and mouse with you.
Translated into cat talk that means skipping or alternating doses is one of the best ways to loose one of ya cat lives...second only to a cold turkey!! and if you do that you really will be bell the cat! ..its gonna rain cats and dogs and thats an understatement.

There is also another way to end up like a cat on a hot tin roof and nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs ...and thats a too fast taper. For in this game its very rare to find more than one way to skin a cat.

When it comes to that fat cat doc of yours hes in the dark and all cats are grey in the dark its no good being a cat in gloves and catching no mice so you need to take responsibility for your self and keep no more cats than will catch mice you must turn cat in the pan then you really will be sitting in a cat bird seat ....the cats pyjamas for sure! And you have come to the right place to do just that.

They may be taking a cat nap but Im sure there will be some cool cats in soon to tell you about cool cat tapering..

Unfortunately when it comes to getting the doc to expand his mind on this he cant ...there aint no room in that there bird brain to swing a cat.

Personally i think when it comes to ssri withdrawal CBT is like herding cats but thats just my opinion.

We are so glad you found us Chessie.....simply purrfect!

Hoping you'll be like the cat who swallowed the canary real soon.

Welcome
NZ11
Auckland Performance dates: 11 Sept 2015 - 11 Oct 2015; The musical 'Cats '.

“Time spent with a cat is never wasted.”
Colette (author, Gigi)

Recovering paxil addict

Taken from strongmama thread (in case i need reminding myself in the future)

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:48 AM

What are the pros and cons of hospitalization?

Pros: You get to enjoy free(?) meals in bed.

Cons: You get served with a smorgasboard ...of poisons.

Pros: The unqualified person who wheels in the food will be an understanding empathic angel.

Cons: The doctors will look at you with about as much empathy and understanding as a Russian fighter pilot viewing a Syrian rebel training camp and then fire off a drug prescription!

Pros: The unqualified person mopping the floor will ask ' Whats happened too you'?

Cons: The medical profession will ask ' Whats wrong with you'?

Pros: Family and friends might come and visit you.

Cons: You now become voiceless cos you are mad!

Pros: You get to choose what meal you want.

Cons: Others get to make the big decisions for you....and you have no say in it.

Pros: You do not have to say anything

Cons: ...but anything you do say will be noted down, twisted and used against you (esp if things turn to adverse event custard) and to irreversibly erroneously label you.

Pros: You may get to exercise some brain matter having to complete questionnaires.

Cons: Your brain may be exercised as a conducter ...of electricity ...ECT.

Pros: When it comes to fees... informed consent is obtained

Cons: When it comes to long term outcomes of hospital actions uninformed consent is obtained.

Pros: Nurses will help you get by.

Cons: You may get bipolar-ized.

Pros: You may get a diag-nosis.

Cons: More likely however is that  you will get a diag-nonsense. 

Pros: You may get to enjoy listening to background music perhaps an orchestra.

Cons: You may be forced to listen to an orchestrated litany of pharma lies.

Pros: You will observe workers and co-workers in action.

Cons: You will leave assigned to a gestapo enforcing case-worker NOT a co-worker.

Note: I have never been to hospital for wdl but was threatened it if i didnt snap out of it....by family.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey NZ - you asked about the "handy reference chart" showing comparative evils (and other information)

About 1/4 way down the page, you will find said chart.  Royal College of Psychiatrists (UK) = sounds official!

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/treatmentswellbeing/antidepressants/comingoffantidepressants.aspx

Note on this chart that they consider 44% having symptoms as being, "Low."  

I may have been referred to this page from somewhere on SA (the chances of that are quite likely).

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

Interesting thanks JC.

Their list of wdl symptoms seems very brief.

Its not so much what they have said its what they haven't said.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

And YES, naturally, I love your chatty catty post!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

note to myself.

toughen up and dont get offended so easily. Smile and say thanks for the advice and walk away.

Thought I'd respond in your own thread.

I like to say "Hey, don't worry about it - it's a really new field of knowledge, I never expect people to be totally up to speed..."  Said that to a snooty herbalist the other day, along with my kindest smile.  :lol:  

And to aggressive counselors you can say 'That's fairly aggressive, do you think you might benefit from working through this with your supervisor?'  (Every counselor has to have a supervisor).

Edited by KarenB
Wrong word used

8 month hold.

note to myself.

toughen up and dont get offended so easily. Smile and say thanks for the advice and walk away.

Thought I'd respond in your own thread.

I like to say "Hey, don't worry about it - it's a really new field of knowledge, I never expect people to be totally up to speed..."  Said that to a snooty herbalist the other day, along with my kindest smile.  :lol:  

And to aggressive counselors you can say 'That's fairly aggressive, do you think you might benefit from working through this with your supervisor?'  (Every counselor has to have a supervisor).

These two responses are G.E.N.I.U.S Karen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

escpecially LOVE the one to the wannabe counsellor - play them at their own game bhhhahahahahaahaa

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Quote by alto thought id save it here:

.... not much is known about what causes PSSD. Some people experience sexual dysfunction on the drugs and this continues after they quit. Some people have no sexual symptoms on the drug but develop PSSD when they quit.

A slow taper is a safer way to ease your nervous system from dependency on the drug. It should cause less disruption of all types, including sexual problems.

....many people who experience sexual dysfunction on the drug find it goes away when they reduce the drug.

For a while now i have felt that perhaps the  sexual damage is a function of taper speed and this opinion appears to back this up.

But yes  perhaps all enduring damage is a function of taper speed.

I think the H Oath went out the window decades ago.

Recovering paxil addict

While i am at it i will save this Brassmonkey quote too

... one of the hallmarks of WD is referred to as "ruminating thoughts".  Your mind digs up all the dirt from your past and forces you to relive it and twist it and relive it, and twist it even more and relive it....... It will do the same with the good stuff too, turning it against you.  Trying to get it to shut up is a monumental task and trying to not let it make you feel bad is even harder.  What I have learned to do is  a variant of AAF (Acknowledge, Accept, Float) Acknowledge that the thoughts are real and the events happened though not necessarily as you are currently remembering them.  Accept that the event is over and done with and that you have thought it through many times and have come to a conclusion that you can live with, and verbally tell then such.  But instead of floating off and continuing with life, change the channel and distract yourself any way possible as you get on with life.  It takes some practice to get it down, but I find that it really helps, and yes as your dose decreases your rational mind will show itself more and more. 

Ive mentioned this a couple of times but wanted to save the BM well articulated version and take on this...

i can remember in acute wdl when shopping at the supermarket. And sometimes when in the vege section i help myself to a few grapes sometimes i buy them sometimes i dont. Anyway shortly after i got home my brain turned on me it started to tell me i was a thief a cheat a liar a terrible person who should die and i might as well kill myself for it, this battle went on daily for weeks.

All i could do was  cry i am sorry i am sorry. The way i would battle it was asking myself if my brother would behave like this. ..or anyone else for that matter...

i always answered in the negative 'no' he or they wouldnt so i knew my thinking was wrong.

Then when i won the stolen grapes battle my brain would attack me on something else either from the past or present it went on and on ....not sure why i mentioned that ...cos that nightmare is behind me now.....i lost a few battles but eventually i won the war !!

Recovering paxil addict

I think my theory of enduring damage being due to a too fast taper just got blown out of the water.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10773-feelingitall-introduction-paxil-25mg-7-years-2-years-paxil-free/

nz-2%-11

Recovering paxil addict