SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ nz11 climbs onboard

nz11

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh my golly , so true mathsmonkey. Thank you for correcting me :)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

It can get confusing cant it.

I listened again and she did say 'one thousandth of a mg per month'....unless its the American accent that has confused my ears.

Look who am i to question the KB but i really think she meant to say one ten thousandth of a gram....or one tenth of a mg.

I have never heard of such tapers by one thousandth of a mg.

nz11

I wish either flounder were the size of stingray and stingray the size of flounder

OR  stingray tasted as good as flounder!

6 crapfish stingray and 1 flounder!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

My favourite/best subject at school was 'eating my lunch' 

but lets just pause for a moment, take a deep breath and consider a taper of one thousandth of a mg per month.

0.001mg per 1 month,

is the same as:

1mg per 1,000 months (83.3 yrs)

therefore 

20mg per 20,000 months (1,666.6 yrs!!)

Maybe she meant one thousandth of a mg per week

then

0.001mg per 1 week

is the same as

1mg per 1000 weeks (19.2yrs)

therefore

20 mg will take 20,000 weeks (384 yrs).

My maths must be crap cos something seems rather bizarre here!!!

Now where did i put that lunch! lol

New York Times headlines...

It has been discovered a certain John Doe who has inside family contacts with Nasa, is multilingual has been flogging off supersensitive stolen Nasa scales to a known psychiatrist in New York. The FDA  FBI are weighing up their options. We will keep you updated.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Cheers nz. Still going to check out jk's book. Who am I to say, but those descriptions sound like wd. Poor jk. Going through that, thinking it was his depression. Its a suprise he didnt end up on a medley of meds for life!

O and just my 2 cents,, I think she may have meant 1/ 1000 of a gram. That is 0.001.. if my math is correct. Which it probably isnt. . Btw nz11. Hunt for the wilderpeople. The new Taika Waiti film is wellll worth watching. Epic film

Started Citalopram in 2005 (aged 15) for apparent "OCD" - 60mg 

July 2015 attempted 2 x 10% + cuts 4 weeks apart. WD symptoms intense at times. Need to slow down.

November 2016 - Resumed taper. 1.25 - 1.5% decrease weekly approx.

44.5mg November 2016. Jan 2017 42.5 mg. March 2017 40 mg. June 2017 37mg. September 2018 22mg. Nov 2018 Holding at 22mg to stabilise from moderate wave. January 2020 - Holding, mostly feeling fine, but still having some waves at times. 

February 2020 - Resumed taper , 1.5% reduction weekly/every two weeks. 

Hi Nick yep sounds like wdl to me ..classic wdl ...sadly JK thought it was depression.

I also felt JK was very lucky indeed he got off when he did else he could so easily have become a medicated train wreck.

Regarding KB you no doubt are right perhaps she did mean one thousandth of a gram per month ...thats simply 1mg per month. Thats nothing shocking or astonishing here at sa. though.

But i guess such a taper may well be unheard of and dumbfoundingly astounding for the medical profession.....

Personally i still think she meant to say 'one ten thousandth of a gram per month'

Regardless of her views on 'superspectacular diets' to cope with wdl, i have a lot of respect and awe for her ...she took all her patients off drugs and turned her clinic into a rehab clinic how awesome is that! Now says ' I don't prescribe anymore' !! The Brogan has become a Breggin!

Recovering paxil addict

Just wanted to save some K Brogan quotes from her book 'A mind of your own' 2016

ch 1 quotes;

"A good percentage of my practice involves treating other physicians and psychiatrists ".....hey maybe they have been swallowing their own medicine!

"wastebasket diagnosis of depression"

"The medicalization of distress obliterates meaning and creates profit"

"The fact that 1 in 4 American woman in the prime of their life is dispensed medication for a mental health condition represents a national crisis"

"The truth about prescription based care : we've been duped"

"Weve handed over our health to those who seek to profit from it, and we have been buying into a paradigm based on the following notions,

We are broken

Fear is an appropriate response to symptoms

We need chemicals to feel better

Doctors know what they are doing

The body is a machine requiring calibration(via drugs).

I call this set of notions the Western Medical illusion"

"Personally i have no intention of ever returning to a lifestyle that involves pharmaceutical products of  any kind"

"Before i stopped prescribing i never once cured a patient. Now people are cured every week in my practice"

"Depression is not a disease"

"Psychiatry is infamous for saying 'oops'! It has a long history of abusing patients with its pseudoscience driven treatments and has been  sullied by its shameful lack of diagnostic rigor"

"7% of all visits to a primary care doctor end with a antidepressant prescription..and almost three quarters of the prescriptions are written without a specific diagnosis."

Recovering paxil addict

Hey NZ11-- I found this last night. I know it will piss you off, but I thought you'd like to have I for your records.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/10-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-antidepressants/ss-BBqx1aW

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Nz thanks for stopping by my thread. Sending healing vibes your way. Take care.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Brass..no problem at all. Always an honor to have the movie making, acting? multilingual, engineering, mathswhizz, tapering pioneer, travel connoisseur,  French cooking expert, well articulated Brassmonkey comment in my thread. Did i miss anything?

Im sure more talents will be leaked out in time.

Thanks for sharing.

I think i already have that one printed out and filed.

Go well.

Recovering paxil addict

Thankyou chicken. Well done on being 1 yr drug free.

Healing wishes to you too.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey NZ11-- I found this last night. I know it will piss you off, but I thought you'd like to have I for your records.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/10-things-you-may-not-have-known-about-antidepressants/ss-BBqx1aW

Yep, it did me.  So I've sent feedback to ATTN:  Lecia Bushak with links to Gwen Olsen and CEPUK Where Did Chemical Imbalance Theory Come From? and my website.  Unfortunately (for me - fortunately for her!) there was a very limited character allowance but I managed to get in some important info.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Ok confession time ...i was too scared to click on the link i thought Brass might have been sending me offensive material or something!! lol

You mean its not Gotzches 10 myths list?

cc can you summarize it.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

As far as I am concerned she is talking through her hat.

No, I'm no good at summarising but here is the copy paste version:

Medical Daily

Lecia Bushak

Lecia Bushak is a reporter covering mental health and international news. She graduated from New York University with a double major in Journalism and Studio Art, and is originally from Cleveland, OH. When she's not writing, she enjoys biking, exploring, and painting. Her writing has also appeared in Newsweek and Capital New York.

10 Things You May Not Have Known About Antidepressants

Far too often, antidepressants are written off as pills for crazy or sad people, or simply “happy pills” that will make your day brighter. But antidepressants are more complicated than that, as they can treat a wide variety of disorders — and they affect everyone differently.

Depression is one of the most common mental disorders, and it often goes undiagnosed. That being said, there are an estimated 350 million people suffering from depression all over the world, according to the WHO. There are different types of depression, as well as other mental illnesses that often go hand-in-hand, like anxiety. In addition to small lifestyle changes, like increased physical activity, improved sleep hygiene and diet, and social interaction, clinical ways of treating depression most commonly include some form of psychotherapy and of course, antidepressants.

If you suffer from some form of depression and haven't tried antidepressants, don't be scared of them. Discuss them with your doctor or psychiatrist to see what the best individualized approach may be for treating your mental illness.

Treating Mental Illness Is Just Like Treating A Physical Illness

Antidepressants have a physical and chemical impact on the brain and body. They're typically used to treat depression, and they act upon neurotransmitters in the brain, including dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine. These chemicals can become imbalanced in the brain, contributing to depression or other mental health issues, and antidepressants work to balance them out.

They May Take Several Weeks To Start Working

Most people need to take antidepressants for up to three weeks before they start noticing any positive effects.

Antidepressants Affect Everyone Differently

Sometimes they don't work at all for certain people. One-third of patients who use antidepressants experience an improvement in their depression, one-third experience a partial response, and one-third don't respond to the drugs at all.The same goes for side effects. Common side effects of popular antidepressants include weight gain, metabolic syndrome, and an increase in blood sugar, in addition to different levels of sexual dysfunction. But everyone experiences different side effects — and different levels of the side effects.

Antidepressants Aren't Only Used To Treat Depression

They might treat other mental health issues, like irritability or fatigue, or even pain or chronic migraines. "Antidepressants have indications for other conditions — premenstrual dysphoric disorders, anxiety disorders like OCD, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder," Dr. Norman Sussman, Professor of Psychiatry at NYU, told Medical Daily . "Some are approved for pain treatment, and some are even used for smoking cessation."

There Isn't Just One Type Of Antidepressant

There are a lot, and each will affect you differently. Choosing the right antidepressant is sort of like choosing the right clothes — everyone is unique. Sometimes it takes several trials of different antidepressants before choosing the one that works best for you.

Mixing Antidepressants With Other Drugs Isn't Always Dangerous

While it's typically not the best idea to drink heavily or abuse other drugs while on antidepressants, Sussman notes that drinking in moderation or using other medications shouldn't be a problem. Check with your doctor first, however.

Antidepressants Don’t Just Make You Reach A Happy State

"Antidepressants are not abusable," Sussman said. "They're not happy pills, they don't make you euphoric. They take time to work, so it's not like you can pop them like an abusable drug like cocaine or marijuana. They're not recreational drugs. If you don't need it, you probably won't get anything about it aside from side effects."

Antidepressants Don't Change Who You Are As A Person

The myth that antidepressants change your personality isn't true. While certain antidepressants, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), can create some emotional blocking and a decreased responsiveness to things that would make you happy or sad, they don't change who you are as a person."It doesn't change your values, it doesn't change your core personality," Sussman continued. "Unless you're depressed, it makes you less depressed."

They Treat You Like Therapy

Antidepressants may be just as effective in treating major depressive disorder as cognitive behavioral therapy. Research has shown that both antidepressants and cognitive behavioral therapy are effective in treating major depressive disorder. Sometimes, combining both can provide for even better treatment for certain patients.

You're Not Crazy

Finally, just because you're taking antidepressants doesn't mean you're crazy or you have serious problems. They can be helpful to anyone from those suffering from severe depression to people whose chemical balances are just a bit off. In some ways, it's not too different from choosing nutritional foods or vitamin supplements to keep your body balanced and healthy.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Yep i find that very sad.

cc if you responded then good for you.

Pity she mispells her surname.

I seem to recall this is not the first piece of nonsense this person has written.

This ignorant schoolgirl should stick to drawing pictures cos her unsupervised dangerous misleading misinformed journalism sure stinks!!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

I overcame the issue by sending 4 feedback responses to her attention.  And yes, her name should be something else.  This whole article is absolute rubbish.  I told her that I was speaking from experience after being on ADs for 25 years and now trying to taper 10%.  Hopefully she might take an interest and check out what I sent.  If she doesn't, she's not a very good journalist!

My cut and paste ability is sick so i just put this alternative Gotzsche 10 myth busters link here....

http://davidhealy.org/psychiatry-gone-astray/

Recovering paxil addict

Just wanted to let you know today i increased the average IQ of two nations!!

Recovering paxil addict

Found this today

'Why you should stop taking your antidepressants' by K Brogan New York post 5 April 2016.

http://nypost.com/2016/04/05/are-antidepressants-making-women-sicker/

Last paragraph...

All you have to do is spend a few minutes on SurvivingAntidepressants.org, BeyondMeds.com, or SSRIstories.org to appreciate that we have created a monster. Millions of men, women and children the world over are suffering side effects, including complicated withdrawal routinely dismissed by their prescribing clinicians. Contrary to what Big Pharma would have you believe, weaning off antidepressants is extremely difficult, so choosing to take them could be signing up for a lifetime of medication use that creates and sustains abnormal states in the brain and entire nervous system. As a clinician who once believed in these medications, I have been humbled by what they are capable of. In fact, even when I have tapered women off of Celexa at extremely low increments of .001mg a month, it can be hard to imagine another class of substances on Earth so potentially complicated to discontinue.

.................//...................

Wow she really did mean one thousandth of a mg per month (ie 0.000001g per month).

To get off 1mg of drug at 0.001mg per month will take 83yrs!

You might ask, “What if these drugs are in fact working some of the time for some people?” They still wouldn’t be worth the consequences for the placebo effect, particularly given their side effects, which are notoriously hidden from the lay public. I find it outrageous that drug companies can use any number of tactics to establish efficacy, including the suppression of data, and then use those tactics to legitimize long-term prescribing with no thought or attention to the real side effects over time.

When I lecture on the futility and perils of antidepressants, I like to employ the following analogy courtesy of Dr. David Healy, an internationally respected psychiatrist based in the UK: Let’s say you’re somebody who experiences a lot of social anxiety. You have a couple glasses of wine at a party as a pre-emptive strike. A sense of calmness washes over you and your symptoms evaporate. Through deductive reasoning, you could say, “Well, I must have an alcohol deficiency, so I should continue to consume alcohol every time I have this symptom, and I might want to drink regularly to prevent it altogether.” This analogy is emblematic of the practice of dishing out antidepressants without any consideration of their long-term consequences.

We’ve arrived at a place in psychiatry’s abuse of antidepressants where we have a half-baked theory in a vacuum of science that the pharmaceutical industry raced to fill. We have the illusion of short-term efficacy and assumptions about long-term safety.

The potential emerging side effects are nothing short of horrifying, from suppressed libido and sexual dysfunction, abnormal bleeding, insomnia, migraine, weight gain, and blood sugar imbalances to risk of violent, irrational behavior and suicide. Before I get to the ugliest of side effects and withdrawal complications, let’s focus on how your ability to function long-term in the world with depression is significantly sabotaged by treating that first episode of depression with medication.

This too has been expertly explored by Robert Whitaker, whose website is a virtual library of published data and thoughtful reviews of multiple long-term studies that have followed large groups of people taking antidepressants. Time and time again these studies demonstrate poor functional outcomes for people treated with antidepressants relative to those with minimal to no medication treatment. They are at greater risk for all the acute side effects I’ve already listed, as well as increased risk of relapse, cognitive impairment, secondary diagnosis and medication treatments (first a depression diagnosis followed by a bipolar one), and recurrent hospitalization.

A breathtaking 60 percent of patients are still diagnosed with depression one year into treatment, despite temporary improvement within the first three months. Two prospective studies in particular support a worse outcome in those prescribed medication. In one such British study, an unmedicated group experienced a 62 percent improvement by six months, whereas the drug-treated patients experienced only a 33 percent reduction in symptoms. And in another study of depressed patients conducted by the World Health Organization (WHO) in 15 cities across the UK, it was found that at the end of one year, those who weren’t exposed to psychotropic medications enjoyed much better “general health,” their depressive symptoms were much “milder,” and they were less likely to still be “mentally ill”!

Now let’s consider the more serious possible side effects of violent behavior, relapse, and crippling withdrawal among those who try to escape their grip. Antidepressants have a well-established history of causing violent side effects, including suicide and homicide.

In fact, five of the top 10 most violence-inducing drugs have been found to be antidepressants.  Over the past three decades, there have been hundreds of mass shootings, murders and other violent episodes that have been committed by individuals on psychiatric drugs. Big Pharma spends around $2.4 billion a year on their direct-to-consumer television advertising for drugs like Zoloft, Prozac and Paxil. The networks can’t afford to run negative stories about prescription drugs, as they would lose tens of millions of dollars in ad revenue (no wonder the connection is habitually downplayed or ignored entirely). The Russian roulette of patients vulnerable to these “side effects” is only beginning to be known and may have something to do with how their bodies (and actions of their unique genetic code) metabolize these chemicals and pre-existing allostatic (stress) load. Healy has worked tirelessly to expose data implicating antidepressants in risk of suicide and violence, maintaining a database for reporting, writing and lecturing about cases of medication-induced death that could make your soul wince. And what about our most vulnerable: new mothers of helpless infants? I have countless patients like Kate in my practice who report never-before thoughts of suicide within weeks of starting an antidepressant for postpartum depression.

In a population where only a few randomized trials have examined the use of antidepressants for postpartum depression, I have grave concerns for women who are treated with drugs before more benign and effective interventions such as dietary modification, thyroid treatment, and addressing their sleep habits during this period when sleep deprivation runs high are explored. We already know that “low mood” is likely to resolve on its own within three months without any treatment, and upward of 70 percent of people will be free of depression without any medication whatsoever within a year. Yet we reflexively turn to these drugs and their unpredictable effects that can rob us of the ability to find permanent relief through the body’s own powerful systems, even though, by their own claims, they take six to eight weeks to “take effect.”

In 2004, the US Food and Drug Administration revised the labeling requirements for antidepressant medications with a warning: “Antidepressants increased the risk compared to placebo of suicidal thinking and behavior (suicidality) in children, adolescents, and young adults in short-term studies of major depressive disorder (MDD) and other psychiatric disorders.” The FDA was pushed to revise the labeling following a bevy of lawsuits in which pharmaceutical companies were forced to reveal previously undisclosed drug data.

You’d think such labeling would give people — and parents — pause. But since 2004, antidepressant use has only increased among both children and adults. I am routinely helping women who want to have a baby either avoid or taper from antidepressants, despite having been “specially trained” to prescribe for this population. For many of them, the first step is simply accepting the fact that they’ve been lied to about the value of antidepressants and their alleged benefits. Meanwhile, their downsides are not only downplayed but actively concealed.

All you have to do is spend a few minutes on SurvivingAntidepressants.org, BeyondMeds.com, or SSRIstories.org to appreciate that we have created a monster. Millions of men, women and children the world over are suffering side effects, including complicated withdrawal routinely dismissed by their prescribing clinicians. Contrary to what Big Pharma would have you believe, weaning off antidepressants is extremely difficult, so choosing to take them could be signing up for a lifetime of medication use that creates and sustains abnormal states in the brain and entire nervous system. As a clinician who once believed in these medications, I have been humbled by what they are capable of. In fact, even when I have tapered women off of Celexa at extremely low increments of .001mg a month, it can be hard to imagine another class of substances on Earth so potentially complicated to discontinue.

Recovering paxil addict

Do you think this is a  coincidence ???

Brogans book was launched 15 March 2016. (Scathing and caustic towards ads and pharma)

Lecia Bushak wrote her above piece on the 16 March 2016.

I reckon if you scratch Lecia hard enough you might find Sussman type psychiatrists with more strings (to pharma) than a marionette. And behind this a pharma attempt to protect its pot of gold and  quell the Brogan fire!

Note from my post #494

"In close proximity to every single SSRI jury trial or regulatory hearing, one or more articles favorable to the drug company view has been published in a major Journal.

Pharmaceutical companies, it would seem, have refined the process of managing 'science' to the point of being able to turn up papers on demand in an attempt to save the day if their product is in difficulty or under scrutiny."

Then again i could be mistaken and it all could be complete coincidence!

Recovering paxil addict

CC just did a great post while i was typing mine...gonna save both here

Here is cc's

"There must be some good to some of these medications."

It sounds like you might have a small bit of doubt.

Video:  Irving Kirsch:  Emperor's New Drugs:  Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect (1 hour 20 minutes)

Interview:  Confessions of an Rx Drug Pusher (51 minutes Gwen Olsen - ex pharmaceutical representative)

This is very interesting:

Antidepressants and the Placebo Effect by Irving Kirsch (link to full article)

Abstract:

Antidepressants are supposed to work by fixing a chemical imbalance, specifically, a lack of serotonin in the brain.  Indeed, their supposed effectiveness is the primary evidence for the chemical imbalance theory.  But analyses of the published data and the unpublished data that were hidden by drug companies reveals that most (if not all) of the benefits are due to the placebo effect.  Some antidepressants increase serotonin levels, some decrease it, and some have no effect at all on serotonin.  Nevertheless, they all show the same therapeutic benefit.  Even the small statistical difference between antidepressants and placebos may be an enhanced placebo effect, due to the fact that most patients and doctors in clinical trials successfully break blind.  The serotonin theory is as close as any theory in the history of science to having been proved wrong.  Instead of curing depression, popular antidepressants may induce a biological vulnerability making people more likely to become depressed in the future.

Excerpt:

How Did These Drugs Get Approved?
The FDA requires two adequately conducted clinical trials showing a significant difference between drug and placebo.  But there is a loophole:  there is no limit to the number of trials that can be conducted in search of these two significant trials.  Trials showing negative results simply do not count.  Furthermore, the clinical significance of the findings is not considered.  All that matters is that the results are statistically significant.
(NB:  emphasis in abstract and excerpt are mine)

Here was my post..

Sorry to read of your plight.

cc posted an excellent response while i was typing mine. But still gonna post mine too.

Perhaps your sister might like to read 'Anatomy of an epidemic' by R Whitaker, or

Psychiatric drug withdrawal ' by P Breggin

As a lawyer she might enjoy/be enlightened/ be 'soul wrenched' by reading the court deposition attached to the 3 billion dollar fine which GSK was hit with. Its freely available.

GSK smashed all ethics to smithereens. Or those of Peter Breggin who has represented thousands in court for the iatrogenic psychotropic drug harms.

Read 'Deadly medicines and organised crime' By P Gotzche.

Sadly no one knows a drug like the person who has or is taking it and if a person has never been exposed to this stuff then its almost impossible for them to concieve of the horror show that awaits.

These drugs have no right to be called 'medicines' its an insult to the word 'medicines'.

Is your sister aware of the lack of ethical behaviour of those who disingenuously claim that they have our healthcare as priority when in actual fact the only thing they are interested in is wealthcare! Poisoned literature is being used as propaganda.

"When it comes to dead bodies in current psychotropic trials, there are a greater number of them in the active treatment groups than in the placebo groups. This is quite different from what happens in penicillin trials or trials of drugs that really work."

David Healy, professor of psychiatry at Cardiff University, Wales, 2008.

In the 1960's amendments to medical requirements were put in place with the intention to never have another  horrifying thalidomide debacle ever again.

Sadly good intentions have been abused.

One of those amendments was that companies demonstrate their products worked in well controlled clinical trials.

Randomised controlled  trials have now become a nefarious tool of abuse by pharmaceutical companies managing to hypnotize doctors and regulators and everyone else. Using statistical sig to fool and hide adverse events.

As a result trial procedures conceal rather than reveal problems.

Statistical significance has been turned inside out here is one example only two trials with statistically significant positive results are needed to allow  a pharmaceutical company to put a drug on the market. It's  irrelevant that 202 drug trials were done and 200 trials showed negative results. Yet when the two positive results are investigated data manipulation is rampant.

And here's another while dead bodies are piling up in the active drug cohort, and zero dead bodies in the placebo cohort, a simple misscoding of a dead body that places it into the placebo group and a push of the statistical button then abracadabra all dead bodies vanish from the study. They have become statistically insignificant. When billions or bust are at stack it is obvious what the behaviour will be isnt it.

Furthermore drug companies refuse to share key information. In addition drug companies have rewarded key academics handsomely to author studies and act as key opinion leaders. Those key opinion leaders and academics manoeuvre themselves so that they become part of a clinical practice guidelines committee pushing their companies drugs as a first line of therapy. Its well documented.

Hazards of treatment are kept hidden, covered over by Pharma marketing spin.

The family who complain of a loved one who put a bullet through their head,or others heads, or crashed a plane or jumped off a bridge or hanged themselves or cut their wrists are told that it is anecdotal, such an event is not statistically significant, the science doesn't support the existence of such a risk.

"At meetings in the 1950s and 1960s, entire symposia were dedicated to the hazards of new treatments, where now it is as difficult to find mention of a treatments hazard at major academic meetings as it would be to find snow in the Sahara." Healy.

Any literature that wants to reveal drug hazards or talk about addictiveness of drugs opens itself up to be sued.

Ghostwriting, concealed conflicts of interests, obstruction of legitimate concerns about drugs dangers, and the marketing of diseases to market a medicine are now the norm for pharmaceutical companies.

Most studies are now sponsored, designed and analyzed in addition to being efficiently written or ghostwritten by pharmaceutical companies.

If you were an employer would you hire a person who had behaviour resulting in the amassed fines such as those in Table 4 below yet we dont give it a second thought to trust them with our brains and body.

Note the size of these fines and see the units ..millions ...so that is 7.8 billion GSK has been fined. And Pfizer 3.8 billion etc

(Would you like to read about how Lilly set the behaviour template (what does your sister think of this) for those that followed; see,

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7571-☼-nz11-climbs-onboard/?p=215836

gsk-shitheads.png?w=660

I like to give myself little assignments (while i try to recover from being pharmaceutically assaulted) and i am currently working on and typing up a CV ....no not mine ...

GSK's .............from all the info i've been accumulating.

Here's a small excerpt :

• Sept 2014. Fined $489 million for paying over $500 million worth of bribes in China. GSK used a network of more than 700 middlemen and travel agencies to bribe doctors and lawyers with cash and sexual favours. Employees were told to lie to investigators. "There is always a big boss in criminal organisations, and in this case GSK is the big boss.” 2014 Under investigation for bribery in Iraq, Jordan, Poland and Lebanon. May 2014 UK serious Fraud office and US Department of justice announce they have opened separate investigations against GSK.
  • 2015, International team revealed that GSK committed fraud, hid side effects in paroxetine’s ghostwritten Study 329. “What they have found is that the fraud and corruption is far worse than anyone ever expected.” 29 July 15, GSK under investigation for bribery in Romania. 

Wanna read  a bit more:

• 2013 A world leader ....topped the list of repeat offenders with total criminal and civil penalties of $7.56 billion since 1991. In the  BMJ 18 Dec 2013 Sidney Wolfe had this to say:.

”These escalating patterns of repeated criminal violations and civil settlements to resolve serious allegations of civil lawlessness hardly bespeak corporate integrity for GSK. We are forced to conclude that neither the current level of penalties nor corporate integrity agreements are effective and that there is a pathological lack of corporate integrity.” 

If GSK were an individual they would be unemployable!

Looks like they are going to hold this  number one spot for some time.

It has now become incredibly dangerous to see a psychiatrist (Breggin, Gotzsche).

"I believe the SSRI era will stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine." Healy.

"It is difficult to know what kind of partnership you can have with an organisation that breaches the fundamental norms of science and threatens to sue those who point this out." Healy

As Alto points out for some its difficult to break the attachment and fixation to the white coated religion no matter what is presented to them.

Until of course one has tried some of the doctors rosey red apples for themselves...and been iatrogenically harmed. Then its a whole new story.

Recovering paxil addict

'The Works' - nz11 style.

If anyone has any issues with the number crunching in this i would like to hear from you.

nz11

Enjoy!

Don't worry..no pickles thank goodness!

post pending....

thanks cc you are great...looking into it.

you can type very fast cc unbelievably so.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Did you do that?  It's fantastic.  I'm envious of your skills :( but I can type  ;)

Not sure if it's because I'm using Libre (I only have Office 2003) but I can get the box 2 (Orange) to return a number.  It did return the number of days (bottom left) and drops every 4 weeks.  Error appears to be in N17.  Did you leave out a bracket?  Or you may have included one because formula starts with   =(IF

one stowaway pickle now removed!! ugh!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

All part of the service.  Proofing is part of typing and using computers.  You needed a user to test it.  Or as my daughter says, to break it.

Boxes 1 & 2 work well.  Woohoo!  Just played around with the other 2 and they appear to work too.  Noticed the word test in cell R40.  Only need to worry about it if you do a revision of something more major though :P .

Only problem is I'm going to be much older once I'm off.  But the positive side is that I'm doing it the best way.

Maybe needs to be posted permanently somewhere.

..but you're doing it the safe way...and you wouldnt want it any other way..

I humbly and sincerely thankyou cc.

This is one cat purring the praises of cc at the mo.

(are you really an Aussi...hold on ..i'm an Aussi too!..i think a foul wind blew me in the wrong direction...lol..i knew i should have got that GPS on my fishing kayak fixed).

I think we should let it sit for a few days, what do you think ....someone may point out i spelt dug wrong! or something.

You have the speed of lightening and the eyes of an eagle!

yes box i and 2 appear to be humming now.

Box 1 and 2 are actually totally independent of each other and as such can be used to cross check against one another (should one wish to do so).

They do a nice job of that too.

(They have a very small insignificant rounding diff. there are reasons for that don't ask me to explain it).

What has taken time is not the number crunching but the cell formatting...and why the yellow y/n box in box 3 isnt constrained to one cell is a wacky quirk i just gave up on but its irrelevant anyway. 

File was much bigger but had to be taken to with a chainsaw to get within the attachment size limit. 

I tried to ensure silly input didnt give silly answers which is why there was a hickup in box 2 formula but have let it go now...so now silly input gives silly answers ...oh well i couldnt be bothered covering the bases for every ridiculous input scenario with it anymore.

nz11

With cc keeping me honest its been a long day at the office...

I'm taking a flexi day off tomorrow i've accumulated too many hours !

Time for a KB smoothie ..an nz11 one!

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus
Fantastic work NZ11, especially with all the complicated formulas. It's obvious that you've put a lot of time and effort into this.

I have a few helpful suggestions for you;

1. You could remove possible errors with dates in N11 and N12 by formatting the cells using the long date format.
  2. Some conditional formatting may be needed to cells B42 and B43 as I was able to enter a mgai that was higher than the weight of a pill
  3. It might be more useful to have D52 and G52 the other way around. “I want ‘x’ mgai, how much pill weight do I need?” or do both, like you have at the bottom of box 4
  4. Table 2 could use some headers; interval and Dose (ml) 
  5. Consider moving the notes to bottom of page?

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Hi NZ11 and ChessieCat!

Well done on the spreadsheet. I'm surprised by it though - it tells me another 2.7 years to get down to 1mg. :( I started to go down over 18 months ago...

Could be posted in the tapering section maybe? 

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to check out 'the works' .

Thankyou so much for your feedback. This is exactly what i wanted.

As i mentioned my experience in formatting excel is pretty limited so i have had to wing it. Your help in tidying this up would be much appreciated.

i have no doubt there are many here who could polish this up better than me...but i think the bones are good.

Regarding

1. okay, i will look at it ....i think the cells accept long date format?...i will have another look.

2. okay. So you want more idiot-proof-ness put in is that what you are saying. yes i can do this. And good point. But i think people must take responsibility for checking their own input. But i see your point here..and you are right it is an important moment and opportunity to stop foolishness and reducing the murphys law activators!!

3. good point, i originally did have both ways covered but took one out as rounding meant there was not an exact replication of amounts depending on which way one was moving due to rounding. If you know what i mean. And people may wonder which way to go.

I figured that one should in practice always be working with wgts so it should always be i have 'x' mgpw what is that in mgai.

In other words its always mgpw which s/b informing mgai. Not the other way ...what do you think?

In other words i got my mgai cos i had some mgpw and converted it.

Having both could confuse in respect of the direction one is moving.

But okay no problem to put that in ...it was in my previous draft versions. (i think number 6 (is when i decided to take it out )of 10!)

Perhaps a multiplier to go back the other way ..? would that be helpful?

4. ..did you try triggering table 2 cos when you do it comes up with headers. ??

5. Consider moving notes to the bottom. okay i see what you mean. The thing is that the determination of the bottom is variable - a moving animal being  a function of number of intervals. so i felt it better to have it prior to moving to the schedules so it could be read and not sitting a mile down on the page where it may be missed.

I still like it where it is. I originally had a full blown BM tapering schedule too that cascaded down and out but due to attachment limits had to delete it...so decided to just get table 1 to convert to a BM schedule when input into box 1 is altered accordingly.

......so maybe the notes could sit under the BM info where the schedule was sitting but the space is now blank.

What do you think?

Dan thanks so much for the feedback.

i look forward to your feedback on my feedback to your feedback.

I appreciate you.

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

Thanks bubbles. Did you check your input?

Any feedback on layout?

Recovering paxil addict

I've made my own spreadsheet and it's similar - about 2.7 years from 33mg to 1mg. I think it just reflects the 10% of previous thing. You could keep going down in ever-decreasing decrements and never actually get to zero. At some point obviously there needs to be a jump off point.

I started to work through my own situation here but it's your thread, so I'll take it to my own thread!

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

bubbles sounds like your calcs are spot on!! Good going!

Thanks for poppin in from somewhere !

Recovering paxil addict

:)

• Moderator Emeritus

Well done nz , and so pretty too. It should go somewhere in the Tapering forum.

My only reservation (which you addressed briefly) is that any tapering schedule of this kind doesn't

allow for longer holds or smaller drops when needed. We talk a lot about listening to your body , and

an intellectual calendar-based approach doesn't allow for that.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Fresh,

Yes,

well this is why i put the notes to be read first before the schedules ....i guess i could put that in red i suppose.

Dan

1. The dates have been changed from us to uk and it locked in one option the longer format only so that was easily  done.

2. A red flag now pops up should mgpw be equal to or less than mgai with the words 'stop check'....hows that?

3. extra calc to go the other way has been put in

actually do you notice how the first one is called (a)....thats because the 'b' one i took out but originally had a calc to go the other way too.

I will give it a few days and see if more further fine tuning requests come in.

Maybe the comment about let your cns determine intervals and  be the final judge go in red ink.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi NZ11,

I have some feedback to your feedback of my feedback  :)

1. The dates will automatically adjust according to the users location setting. The US way of writing dates always seemed counter-intuitive to me, but then they probably find our way of doing it confusing.

2. True, you cant idiot proof every cell. I was just being overly critical as it can be really easy for people to make simple mistakes when they're suffering from cog-fog.

4. I managed to get table 2 to display the headers after looking at the formula in F60. I made the mistake of thinking I had to insert a value instead of the letter 'y' (as in "I desire to taper down to 'y' mg") so I entered the value of cell H11 instead of the letter 'y'.  

5. The notes will look fine under the BM schedule. That's what I was originally thinking but didn't explain myself very well. Damn cog-fog again!! I once tried to write a BM taper schedule too, it had over 700 rows and took ages to write.

You're right in using intervals instead of dates. If you had included dates people would have stuck rigidly to them. I made that mistake with my own tapering schedule.

Perhaps in big red letters at the bottom of box 1 "These are only estimates, let your cns determine intervals and  be the final judge."

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Dan i was about to go to bed and i just saw your feedback to the ...well you know what i mean...

I guess one can idiot proof every cell ..it will just be some long IF statements thats all...lol

One of my versions produces a beautiful BM schedule i just couldnt get it on here as it exceeded the size limit but i can send it to you outside of the sa arena if you wish.

Do we have any other voices on where the notes should be? Stay or move? Cos i kinda still like where they are in the current prominent place. They cant be missed.

Just thought box 2 could be used at any time not just for those drug free ...do you think i should point that out.

Do you appreciate having formulas visible or do you want them hidden? Are they distracting?

nz11

Looking forward to your feedback to my feedback to your feedback to my feedback to your feedback to 'The works'  (hope i didnt miss any feedbacks!)

Recovering paxil addict