Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Altostrata

• Administrator
On 9/7/2023 at 1:58 PM, Mezzer said:

It makes me think the compounding med I had was not the mg it stated or im having trouble adjusting to the new med.

It's possible that there is some difference. Please post further questions in your Introductions topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:58 PM, Mezzer said:

Can I ask a tapering question here? I’ve been using a compounded mixture of Prozac since last “December 22” and for weeks ago I changed to the manufactured liquid because getting the compounded liquid was getting too complicated with the pharmacy. I did the change gradual over a couple weeks and for the past week I’ve been in a terrible wave of anxiety and depression among other things. It makes me think the compounding med I had was not the mg it stated or im having trouble adjusting to the new med. I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation and recovered? Thank you. Looking for some hope. I’ve also tried to update my history but it doesn’t seem to update. 

Kind of. What I did notice in the past was possibly batch with the same brand. 2 weeks into a new bottle I’d notice what I assume were withdrawal issues, and changing the bottle with a different expiry date seem to resolve after a few days to 2 weeks. It rarely happened. If I returned to the bottle that causes the withdrawal symptoms the same thing would happen so I’d just have to stop again. Potency issues are always possible. It could be as simple as it not being stored properly, or variance in the potency by the manufacturer. I also noticed that when a batch expiry date is getting closer, the potency was weaker making me think that the expiry dates are are too long possibly. 

Hope you get through it. 

2018 April: Reinstated Paroxetine 20mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) after abrupt withdrawal of 6 months (lots of on off AD and other drugs use for years prior to this this).

2018 August: Began slow taper of Paroxetine. At 10mg severe headaches began, switched to 10mg Fluoxetine. Cont. on Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Occasional but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet.

2018 - 2023: ‘Stable’ on Fluoxetine 10mg and Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night). Cont. but over recommended dose use of sleeping tablet, switched sleeping tablet to manage addiction and achieve sleep. Began very occasional use of benzodiazepines by 2020 (eg. 2 dose of 10mg in a 9 month period, varies according to need and some months can be more). Cont. headaches, developed anxiety and other body pains. 
2023 (February) - Rapid 4 week taper in February from Carbamazepine Prolonged Release 400mg (200mg morning and night) to nil (mistakenly!).

2023 (March to present) - very infrequent use of sleeping tablets and benzodiazepines, diagnosed with hypothyroidism (April ish) and currently treated with Levothyroxine (final dose yet to be determined), began taper of Fluoxetine 10mg (June) currently on 8mg of fluoxetine. 
Also, still invariably take CBD oil, multiple vitamins and minerals including Omega 3, iron etc. Adjusted as needed. 

Note - Throughout the above years I have been an inpatient and outpatient with decisions made for me regarding drugs inc. abrupt withdrawals. Some were planned by me when unaware of withdrawal affects. Others while I was ‘unwell’ and began by unwittingly missing doses. Like many of us I have experienced many ‘symptoms’ on and off the drugs. Above, I have tried to share my main complaints and history as best as I can and remember.

My full drug history can be found in my opening post 

WeLiveInHope

——————————————————

My words are based on my personal experiences and do not constitute medical advice or recommendations, except this: whatever any one else says, from medics to other patients, however informed, listen to your body as the human condition is always evolving, and in turn so is our knowledge on its limitations and capabilities. 

3 hours ago, WeLiveInHope said:

Kind of. What I did notice in the past was possibly batch with the same brand. 2 weeks into a new bottle I’d notice what I assume were withdrawal issues, and changing the bottle with a different expiry date seem to resolve after a few days to 2 weeks. It rarely happened. If I returned to the bottle that causes the withdrawal symptoms the same thing would happen so I’d just have to stop again. Potency issues are always possible. It could be as simple as it not being stored properly, or variance in the potency by the manufacturer. I also noticed that when a batch expiry date is getting closer, the potency was weaker making me think that the expiry dates are are too long possibly. 

Hope you get through it. 

Thank you my friend 

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

3 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It's possible that there is some difference. Please post further questions in your Introductions topic.

Thanks alto will do. How do I add to my history to bring it up to date 

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

I'm currently taking 0.013 g of powder content from "Fluoxetine Capsules USP 10 mg by ScieGen" . According to my weighing of the capsule contents in the digital scale and taking the average of several capsules, this should be equal to 1.44 mg dose. However I am not 100% sure if that's accurate and I would like to ask what's the accurate weight of the powder in these 10 mg capsules manufactured by ScieGen. 

I just ordered 1mg/1ml liquid form of Prozac, and in order to switch from capsules to liquid I would like to make sure I'm crossing over to the same dose not higher or lower.

Appreciate the help. 

2016 - 2020: 10-20 mg Escitalopram (Lexapro)

2020 - Nov 2022: 5-10 mg Lexapro

Nov 2022 - Mar 2023: 20 mg Fluoxetine (Prozac)

March 22nd - April 24th: 20 mg Prozac every other day -bad reaction

April 24th: 10 mg, May: 8.5 mg, June: 7.23 mg,  July: 6.14 mg, Aug: 4.85 mg

Sep: 3.78 mg, 3.41 mg, Oct: 2.89 mg, Nov: 2.46 mg, 2.09 mg

Dec: 1.78 mg, Jan 2024 : 1.6 mg, Feb 28th: 1.44 mg Mar 11th: switch to liquid + dose adjustment to 1.3

April: 1.14 mg

10-20 mg Propranolol as needed. Omega-3 + Vitamin E every day. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy