Rhiannon

Folks from the US Pacific Northwest, check in here

18 posts in this topic

Hi! I've been wanting to start a thread for those of us in the PNW, seems I've met quite a few over the years.

Check in here and let's connect, maybe we can meet up.

I'm in the Columbia Gorge area.

Hello!  I am in Seattle and have looked for in-person support groups for coming off of psych meds but have not had any success.  It would be neat to meet up in person someday.  :)

Im in Portland, recently transplanted from New England.when I first arrived I went to Cascadia mental health services for a consult. The social worker told me, quite frankly, but if I was taking klonopin I should not have left the state, its a red herring around my neck, is what he told me. This was, to say the least, discouraging.

what I have found here is a city that has rightfully pathologized and stigmatized a very dirty drug before putting into place any valid means of treating patients who have be become addicted to these drugs.

Would it be okay to move this to the public Events forum? Off-Topic is members-only.

Hey north westerners! Here we are!

Dear Unstuck, what did he mean Klonopin was a red herring around your neck? And why is that statement ticking me off?

These people just don't understand! And they helped to create body of addicts and then put us down, treat us as stupid, like it is our fault? I get this a lot from the medical profession, from shrinks to neurologists to any kind of doctor. Not all, but most that I have seen including naturopaths, have proved themselves ignorant and completely unhelpful. The best I got is from my doc who occasionally checks in but does not mess with me and does not really understand how I could be so addicted!

I want to start turning that around so we are the brave and very intelligent pioneers, figuring this stuff out. We should be listened to and sought after for correct information. But their training and egos won't let that happen! We could help them understand the mistake, who and why they are being lied to, and how to help people withdraw. WE know more about this than they do!

Would it be okay to move this to the public Events forum? Off-Topic is members-only.

Sure! Can somebody do that for me or do I need to figure out how?

I'm in Portland

I'm in Selma, near Medford.

Near Eugene Oregon.

Tigard/Portland :)

Spokane area ..

University Place/Tacoma, Pierce County WA.  I'd be happy to have a facel-to-face get together!  Depending on my schedule, I could go as far south as Portland.

Originally from Ilwaco,WA

North Tacoma.

Hello, IHadPassion,

We are quite nearby, I'm not that far from Tacoma.  For you and anyone else in the Tacoma area, I'd like to invite you to a support group I attend and co-facilitate.  (Admins:  From reading the rules, since this isn't commercial, I think it's OK.  If not, I can Message IHadPassion if that would be acceptable.  Please let me know.)

The support group is for those who, in the moment or in the past, have heard voices, seen visions, and/or have had an extreme experience.  If you have a close supporter, they may accompany you.  It meets in North Tacoma.  I invite anyone to come and see what we're about, if you wish.  It is in the meeting room at Cutter's Point Coffee, 2209 N. Pearl St. #104, Tacoma, WA 98407, and meets every Tuesday from 5:30 pm to 7 pm (the shop closes at 7).

Here is the blurb we use to describe the group:  "This group is expressly for people who have experienced voices, visions, wild energy, extreme states of consciousness, special messages and unusual beliefs — including the “mental illness” labels of bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and psychosis. It is based firmly on a belief in the values of diversity, self-help, mutual respect and understanding. The atmosphere is inclusive and non-judgmental. You will be viewed as the expert human being that you are, not a psychiatric diagnosis. Your story matters here."

IHadPassion, I'd like to be in touch any way you are comfortable. 

Hi, all.

An acquaintance in the Portland, Oregon area is looking for an MD to help with a taper. She's not a member here (yet). Can anyone recommend an MD (psychiatrist or other) who gets it?

WC

Has anyone found a psychiatrist or neuropharmacologist in the Pacific NW area that understands SSRI and/or benzodiazepine withdrawal. I'm in a world of hurt, and my last recommendation was to David Dunner in Seattle, who is essentially a shill for Glaxo and Eli Lilly.  My current psychiatrist is leading me down a path to disaster, so I'm urgently looking for a second opinion.

Unfortunately no, when I was at my worst I called maybe 15 different psychiatrists in the South Sound area and didn't find a one who would recognize SSRI or Benzo W/D. It would be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.  

The closest I got to any 'professional' recognizing what I was going through was a neuro-psychiatrist  (Dr.Bess) at Swedish in Seattle, though he was clueless on how to treat it and was only interested in shooting electrical current through my brain which I kindly refused.  He acknowledged that he had seen several young patients with similar stories to mine.