SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

IndigoEarthling: 10 months cold turkey. I can't believe I'm still here!

IndigoEarthling

Hello out there!

I'm 10 months into quitting lithium and citalopram cold turkey after more than 10 years of use. I've always been a highly functioning overachiever but became increasingly depressed, agitated and anxious at the age of 15. I was soon diagnosed with bi-polar II disorder and put on dozens of different medicines at the request of my parents and many doctors. But after gaining 50 pounds from seroquel, experiencing an increase in anxiety and anger and a host of new symptoms I decided to get off.

The bad news...

This has been the HARDEST 10 months of my entire life. From suicidal depression to random aches and pains, muscle stiffness, intrusive thoughts and now obsessive compulsions I can't believe I'm still here! This has been incredibly hard on me, but also on my family. Being in social situations is difficult and many of the things I use to enjoy, no longer make me happy. On top of all that I work a 9-5 which means I mask my symptoms 8 hours a day, 5 days a week so I can pay rent. Life is generally unpredictable and overwhelming...

The good news...

In 10 months I lost 35 pounds- down 50 from from my heaviest. Everything is SO vivid and bright-all my senses are heightened and I experience a state of awareness I never knew existed. On top of that, getting off medicine led me to a spiritual awakening. Now meditation, mindfulness and intentional living fill the space between the windows and waves. Despite my mood swings and anxiety, I am more in touch with my spirit than ever before and HOPEFUL that the worst of the depression and physical pain is OVER.

Now if only the anxiety and compulsions would end....

Diagnosed bi-pollar II in 2003 at age 15.

Lithium, lexapro and seroquel for the next 8 years, with occasional klonopin.

Quit seroquel cold turkey in 2011.

1st unsuccessful attempt to stop ALL meds cold turkey- 2012

Switched to lithium, citalopram and adderall (only on adderall for a few weeks).

Cold turkey off EVERYTHING Feb 2014.

Previous symptoms; crying spells, suicidal depression and hopelessness (3 months). Frequent urination and chocolate, allergy medicine and food sensitivities (3 months). Body pain radiating through my spine, legs, arms and butt followed by muscle stiffness, weakness and tingling/loss of feeling (7 months). Brain zaps, head aches and intense depersonalization. Fight or flight upon waking and difficulty sleeping (2 months). Difficulty regulating body temperature-incredibly cold hands and feet (8 months). Diarrhea and difficulty eating (lost over 30 pounds). Acute and itchy acne? on my forehead, cheeks and chest (7 months). 

Current symptoms: anxiety, obsessive compulsions, feeling stuck/unable to act/shocked, pain along my spine, hair loss, easily stressed and overwhelmed, difficulty with social situations, generally moody. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndigoEarthling

• btdt

• Wildflower0214

• Patoski

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is SO vivid and bright-all my senses are heightened and I experience a state of awareness I never knew existed. On top of that, getting off medicine led me to a spiritual awakening.

This is what I am very much looking forward to... some day.

Congratulations to you!  :)

Intro Thread

Off of Abilify (5mg) & Lexapro (10mg) as of November 2014 (approximately). Was on both for at least 2 years.

Tapered Abilify for about 2 weeks. Stopped Lexapro cold turkey.

10 months off. That is wonderful! I am at the six month mark. Welcome to the group. I think you will find alot of info amd support here.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Indigo Eathling

Welcome to the forum. You have obviously been on a very difficult medication journey.

Is there anything you want to ask? Have you had a chance to look around the site?

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi, Indigo Earthling. Welcome. I am 5 months out from a much too fast taper off of Zoloft.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Hi Indigo Eathling

Welcome to the forum. You have obviously been on a very difficult medication journey.

Is there anything you want to ask? Have you had a chance to look around the site?

Dalsaan

Switched to lithium, citalopram and adderall (only on adderall for a few weeks).

Previous symptoms; crying spells, suicidal depression and hopelessness (3 months). Frequent urination and chocolate, allergy medicine and food sensitivities (3 months). Body pain radiating through my spine, legs, arms and butt followed by muscle stiffness, weakness and tingling/loss of feeling (7 months). Brain zaps, head aches and intense depersonalization. Fight or flight upon waking and difficulty sleeping (2 months). Difficulty regulating body temperature-incredibly cold hands and feet (8 months). Diarrhea and difficulty eating (lost over 30 pounds). Acute and itchy acne? on my forehead, cheeks and chest (7 months). 

Current symptoms: anxiety, obsessive compulsions, feeling stuck/unable to act/shocked, pain along my spine, hair loss, easily stressed and overwhelmed, difficulty with social situations, generally moody. 

Can you tell me more about the mindfulness, intentional living and where you able yo practice all of this in the worst of the waves? Thanks

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thanks everyone- I made the mistake of having a few beers and now my anxiety is HORRIBLE. I rarely drink any more- No more than 9 drinks total over the last 10 months. This time was different, when I drank I realized I didn't feel anxious at all for the first time in over a year and I wanted more so I had another. Before medication I was definitely self medicating so this is hard for me. Going to chat with my therapist about this and def not drinking any more but now I feel ashamed, anxious and defeated.

Made it into work but was feeling too anxious so I decided to leave. In bed now feeling awful. I want to give up but instead I'm going to sleep.

How do you all keep jobs? I rarely have any sick leave and I'm sure my co workers notice my mood swings. Sometimes I just want to quit and see if I can get disability...

Personally, I am "retired". Actually have not worked since my 21-year-old daughter was born. I have wondered the same, because I definitely would not be able to work now. I can't imagine how anyone does this :(

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

There is no way I could work right now. If you are holding a job you are to be commended.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Indigoearthling, welcome to SA. I'm sorry that you are still experiencing the anxiety and ocd, 

I'm sure they will start to ease up as time goes by. It's good to see that you are feeling more alert

and aware of things, it feels amazing when you suddenly realise that you can FEEL and appreciate 

things again. 

Don't worry too much about having the beer, you tried it and learned that it isn't good for you right now,

you probably won't do that again in a hurry but it is done now and cannot be changed so let it go.  I hope

you get some sleep and wake up refreshed. 

There are some excellent topics in the symptoms and self care forum, one being on non drug ways to deal

with anxiety and emotional problems.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

There is no way I could work right now. If you are holding a job you are to be commended.

Thanks for the kind words Frustrated...I finally broke down and told my sister (who I live with) how bad I'm feeling. We are going to try to apply for FMLA days. There have only been a couple of days that my brain was so foggy I literally just sat at my desk and stared at the screen-its the interaction part that makes it hard. I just had my review and my boss told me that I am an asset to the team and doing really well so I am hoping she will allow me to telework for one day a week. Maybe that will help? I dunno though...home is really stressful. Everything is dirty and for some reason I want to clean all the time...It's upsetting.

Haha I wanna clean too. I have to accomplish all my household tasks before I can truly sit and try to relAx. Now that obsessiveness has to be withdrawals because I never worried about my housework not getting done before.

.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

I was always a little bit of a perfectionist and checked thingss but this is OUTRAGEOUS. I feel like things are tainted and I want to clean and wash my hands all the time. My dog is sad because she can no longer lay in the bed with me and after I pet her I have to wash my hands. Doing some emotional response prevention- haven't double checked my car door being locked in several weeks and trying to delay washing my hands or things around the house. I pray this is temporary-I'd rather have long term physical pain than deal with OCD-its NUTS.

Can you tell me more about the mindfulness, intentional living and where you able yo practice all of this in the worst of the waves? 

Oddly enough it was easier when I was super depressed. I would practice deep breathing and do visualizations until I could get out of bed. I also found some guided meditations on youtube (search for the 'Meditationrelaxclub' or 'TheHonest Guys' on youtube). Then I would go for a walk and mention things I was grateful for. I tried to keep myself from spiraling down below a 5 after realizing it's much harder to put yourself back together than it is to keep yourself together. What really helped me was listening to the Conversations with God audio on youtube and Eckhart Tolle's the power of now. That led me to a journey of meditation and got me through work. Mostly I needed quick access to positive and stress free meditations so I book marked my favorites on my phone and listen anytime a wave is coming on and I have the courage to be proactive.

Now that I am mostly anxious and feel stuck its MUCH harder. I practice a lot of deep belly breathing and simple allow the intrusive and obsessive thoughts to come instead of fighting them (although I still fight from time to time like today). I acknowledge the thought as something I am experiencing and try to sense where in my body I am feeling them. I ask myself what I am afraid of and imagine the feeling of relief and remind myself that I AM whole, complete and an extension of Source Energy or God. I try to think about the last time I was happy or what it would feel like to have a day without depression or anxiety. Once I can feel that emotion, I hold onto it in hopes that I can manifest it in my life. Sometimes if it doesn't work I force myself to do jumping jacks- even when I am crying or about to loose it.

The rest is all about what I call my "prescription for life"- a daily regime of drinking tea, taking my vitamins, walking my dogs and support from a handful of willing family and friends that I touch base with on a certain day. Lately I haven't fell like talking so alot of times I ask for prayers via text. When i get SUPER bad, sometimes talking about it with someone is the only way to feel immediate relief. Loneliness is tough getting off the meds, and even though people don't know what I am going through, talking about it makes me feel better. Its tough to reach out and super scary but also proven to release oxytocin.

My struggle now is watching what I eat and drinking water. I eat organic and vegetarian, but I need to COMPLETELY eliminate sugar and simple carbs from my diet to regulate my sugar for atleast a few weeks. I'm hoping that will help with the anxiety. The holidays are the WORST!

Hi Indigoearthling, welcome to SA. I'm sorry that you are still experiencing the anxiety and ocd, 

I'm sure they will start to ease up as time goes by. It's good to see that you are feeling more alert

and aware of things, it feels amazing when you suddenly realise that you can FEEL and appreciate 

things again. 

Don't worry too much about having the beer, you tried it and learned that it isn't good for you right now,

you probably won't do that again in a hurry but it is done now and cannot be changed so let it go.  I hope

you get some sleep and wake up refreshed. 

There are some excellent topics in the symptoms and self care forum, one being on non drug ways to deal

with anxiety and emotional problems.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

Thanks Mamma P- appreciate your kind post. Took some kava kava which seemed to help but will check out the self care forum as well. Thank you for your support!

Finally chatted with my sister and cruised through the forums. Not really feeling up to work tomorrow but I'm going to try and relax tonight. I'm also going to stop the compulsive cleaning- I just wish my Neice wasn't so dirty. I hate cleaning up after her and I hate that I want to control everything. Sometimes I think I should move out but I'm afraid I would loose my job and not be able to support myself or that the anxiousness will increase and my obsessiveness will continue unchecked... And then there is the possibility that everything will change in another two months.

Struggling to protect myself but I also want to be reasonable. Any advice?

My withdrawal led me to something of a spiritual awakening as well.  The books you mentioned are some of my favorites.  I wish I could say I maintain a meditation practice but it's something I really struggle with because when I "go quiet" I have to face a lot of anxiety.  Work is tough ... I didn't cold turkey but tapered in 4 months which is really fast, and I had no choice but to work.  I know it's hard and you just have to hang onto the belief that's it's getting better.  I was lucky to not have a lot of physical symptoms but the depression was crushing.  I'm not sure what to advise about the cleaning issue, other than come visit me!  LOL   I had an issue with everything smelling funny but no strong urge to clean.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

I saw some of your posting in the OCD thread.

You are in good company. It is one of my worst symptoms. Just wanted to say hi, and you are not ever alone.

I hope it goes away, it didn't show up for me until about 4 months into WD. Awful.

I ruminated before meds. But honestly, I think they made it worse.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Hey JDM- thanks for your words. I was always a little on the controlling anxious side but never felt the need to act compulsively. I'm glad its really low grade, maybe a 2 or 3, I find that the more I give in to the urge to clean the worse it becomes. So I try to mix it up and get comfortable being uncomfortable. It's really hard though knowing the people in my house don't wash their hands alot (think teenager). 

Is there anything you do to find relief? I'm use to dealing with depression and anger, but not very well with compulsions and intrusive thoughts. 

Well,

I had some pretty bad ones for a while, they were about self harm and harming others. My therapist helped me realize they were about control. And this helped tremendously.

But, the ones I'm having now are about guilt. Like I have been feeling guilty for going 5 miles over the speed limit...etc Also, I have had some situations where I should have acted differently, and I have the compulsion to go back and "fix" it. These have literally made me crazy. I haven't figured out how to deal with these yet. :(

I also have religious themes that come and go.

Im going to therapy tmm, if he gives me anything useful I will let you know.

:)

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Conversations with God! Reading this led to an awakening. Love these books. Thank you for explaining your journey :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Joannad did you listen to the audio books or get the book! Glad you enjoyed. Hope it helped with your healing process! Please feel free to share anything you find that you like. I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to.

It was the book 'happier than God'. And you, please share more if you wish :)

Finally told my parents about getting off my medicine. It was terrifying and I cried the whole way through. Also met why my psychiatrist who confirmed it may well be up to 2 or 3 years until my brain can regulate serotonin, dopamine and adrenaline again.

I feel overwhelmed and defeated. This wave of anxiousness and compulsions makes it hard for me to take care of my dog and do basic things. I did make it into work though and find myself getting better. I Just really don't like this wave- I feel shocked and out of touch. Can't wait till this passes. Going to try to get in some light excercise tonight.

Does anyone know of any users who quit several medicine cold turkey after years of use?

Yes, BTDT, Petu, and myself, cymbaltawithdrawal is another one, and Luv2knit was on Zoloft 20 years and rapid tapered.

There are many many more

Alto, the starter of this forum pretty much CT'd Paxil

Oh, and Rhiannon. She has quite the story.

• Administrator

Welcome, IndigoE.

Would you recommend your psychiatrist for tapering? He seems unusually well-informed about withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Finally told my parents about getting off my medicine. It was terrifying and I cried the whole way through. Also met why my psychiatrist who confirmed it may well be up to 2 or 3 years until my brain can regulate serotonin, dopamine and adrenaline again.

I feel overwhelmed and defeated. This wave of anxiousness and compulsions makes it hard for me to take care of my dog and do basic things. I did make it into work though and find myself getting better. I Just really don't like this wave- I feel shocked and out of touch. Can't wait till this passes. Going to try to get in some light excercise tonight.

Does anyone know of any users who quit several medicine cold turkey after years of use?

Hello and welcome glad to see your working some say it helps to work as it is a good distraction. 

There are many things that help.. deep relaxation is one of the first things i found really helpful you can find them on utube and pick one you like.  So many more things at the self care page... 

I wish you peace

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Just wanted to say hi! I feel your pain with all the symptoms you are describing. I basically went cold turkey off Celexa after being on various ssri and benzos for 12 years. I went nuts and went on a variety of meds in the hospital to combat the withdrawal. It's been 2 years almost since I reinstated a small dose of Celexa which didn't do much. Your psychiatrist sounds very surprisingly educated on withdrawal as most doctors say there isn't any. I have the ocd bad but it has gotten a little bit better I am also running my own business through all of this and sometimes wonder how I am still alive but the fact that I have brief Windows where I feel almost normal gives me hope that this will pass in time nobody knows how much for each given individual. I try to take it 24hrs at a time and it's truly a very humbling experience. Best of luck to you! The bad waves sure do suck though but they always pass.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

Just wanted to say too that I have tried not working and it makes everything worse sitting at home concentrating on all the symptoms. A lot of days it takes almost everything I have to get out of bed and start the day but you just have to push through and hope for the best.

April 2013 Doc put me back on 40mg of celexa for 2.5 weeks than switched to Paxil 3 weeks adverse reaction and kindling reaction
July 2013 5mg celexa and .5mg klonopin daily

5/15/16 started lamictal and currently at 25mg daily once a day.

1/1/17 crossed over from .5mg klonopin to 10mg Valium.

3/1/17 off celexa from getting down to around .25mg.

5/25/17 started tapering the Valium from 10mg to 9mg

6/25/17 dropped down to 8mg Valium 

currently on 8mg of Valium and 25mg of lamictal once a day in the morning never could handle more than 25mg of lamictal and never really felt anything from it.

7/2/17 updosed to 10mg Valium and holding split twice a day and holding.

3/1/18 dropped Valium from 10mg to 9.5mg

4/1/18 dropped Valium from 9.5 to 9mg still on 25mg lamictal.

Updosed 6/20/18 Valium 10mg and 25mg lamictal and holding.

• Mentor

Hi, Indigo Earthling. Welcome. I am 5 months out from a much too fast taper off of Zoloft.

Hello from me also.    Sounds like I am at the stage of luv2knit.....   I can stay home alone, which is good.

Thankyou for sharing and congratualations at ten month mark.  Seems you have noticed some improvements.  I keep hopeful.  I can not work at the moment.

Well done for keeping your employment!

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

• Mentor

Thanks everyone- I made the mistake of having a few beers and now my anxiety is HORRIBLE. I rarely drink any more- No more than 9 drinks total over the last 10 months. This time was different, when I drank I realized I didn't feel anxious at all for the first time in over a year and I wanted more so I had another. Before medication I was definitely self medicating so this is hard for me. Going to chat with my therapist about this and def not drinking any more but now I feel ashamed, anxious and defeated.

Made it into work but was feeling too anxious so I decided to leave. In bed now feeling awful. I want to give up but instead I'm going to sleep.

How do you all keep jobs? I rarely have any sick leave and I'm sure my co workers notice my mood swings. Sometimes I just want to quit and see if I can get disability...

I am feeling the same today.  Had drinks yesterday, but now I just feel awful.  It is 3.00pm here, and I am finally able to walk around the house.  Keep going!  Well done. No drinks today :)  lets hope tomorrow will be better for us, I have to go and do stuff tomorrow.  Hope I can manage it.  My son has bought me a Monster energy drink.....  if anyone found this to help, let me know.  Or better let me know if the effects might be bad...  :(

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Ang, maybe someone else can better advise, but the Monster energy drink does not sound like a good idea to me. It is my understanding these are not good for a healthy person. I definitely would not take in withdrawal!

I think it's amazing any of you are able to work. I was retired before withdrawal, and have suffered many years of severe CFS (the reason my stupid doctor put me on Zoloft). I quit work when my daughter was born, because I knew I wouldn't be able to take care of her and work. Zoloft came about a year later. In withdrawal, I cannot even imagine being able to work... At this point, I am unable to drive or stay at home alone. The main issues with driving are brain fog and vision--not to mention I would probably just fall asleep. My husband has been working from home, and on the couple of occasions he has had to go into work for a few hours, it has been really hard. When the akathisia ramps up, the suicidal impulses come, and I'm just not ready to handle that yet. Hopefully it will come. I'm never really functional, but looking back over my handwritten journal, some things are better overall. I hope to get there!

Just wanted to say hi! I feel your pain with all the symptoms you are describing. I basically went cold turkey off Celexa after being on various ssri and benzos for 12 years. I went nuts and went on a variety of meds in the hospital to combat the withdrawal. It's been 2 years almost since I reinstated a small dose of Celexa which didn't do much. Your psychiatrist sounds very surprisingly educated on withdrawal as most doctors say there isn't any. I have the ocd bad but it has gotten a little bit better I am also running my own business through all of this and sometimes wonder how I am still alive but the fact that I have brief Windows where I feel almost normal gives me hope that this will pass in time nobody knows how much for each given individual. I try to take it 24hrs at a time and it's truly a very humbling experience. Best of luck to you! The bad waves sure do suck though but they always pass.

DJ Jones- hang in there and way to go for running your own business while taking care of yourself! That's tough stuff!