SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

John nash

serotonin

Proffessor john nash got his phd from the famouse university of princeton. At the age of 19 he already wrote his famouse paper on nash equalibrium which is something i use everday in my feild of advanced economic studies! However john nash never acquired the social skill necessary to develope relationship with the people that he wanted, he was very gifted but another part of him craved girls, sex, and all those wonderful stuff. And because he was so gifted with mathmatics it temporarily give him all the attention he craved! But at age 30 john failed to get the ultimate attention that he was ceaving for and that was the feilds medal in mathmatics! After that he became depressed and temporarily pschotics. If john was in a third world country they would never have used pscho drugs on him and instead the family and village or tribe with which he belonged to would have taken him in and in a matter of months hes depression an pschosis would subside. But since he lives i the wonderful world of pschotropical drugs, he was subjected to mind altering schzepherinic drug for a year and electrical shock therapy!

After john nash was realised from the hospital his schezpherinic state became worse but the men is so smart and knew the only way to beat his illness is not with mind altering posion and instead he chose not to take those posion and fight schezpherinian on his own!

Long story short, pschiatrist says schezpherinics cant heal but john nash did! An if john nash is no longer a schezpherinic and he is happy now so can we!

• Administrator

I agree, John Nash's story is truly inspiring.

He was psychotic, but by using his intelligence and reason, he figured out how to control his illness and live a fairly normal life.

He still had a lot of difficulty, ser. Controlling his symptoms with his will power took a lot of energy. But he would have difficulty treated with psych drugs, too, and he chose to live drug-free.

There is a movement to teach schizophrenics how to control their illness without drugs, and it has been at least as successful as drug therapy.

Thanks for posting this. Do you have any links to stories about John Nash?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I have cited Nash on occasion as his remission was independent of psychopharmaceutical intervention. Of course, the movie based on his life distorts this reality. Actually the movie outright lies, having Nash speak the line, "I take the newer medications," which caused some controversy. I guess because it was a total lie. There is some more about this around the web and on the wikipage for the film.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind_%28film%29

Basically, Ron Howard didn't want the film to be seen as encouraging schizophrenics to abandon their meds.

... Do you have any links to stories about John Nash?

PBS did a wonderful piece on Nash.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/nash/

I'm not sure if you have to buy it to view it. I suspect you do as it used to be viewable on youtube but no longer appears via search...

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Of course, the movie based on his life distorts this reality. Actually the movie outright lies, having Nash speak the line, "I take the newer medications," which caused some controversy. I guess because it was a total lie.

I have no doubt you are right. However, the movie was one of those one can never forget. It's definitely in my top ten!

Charter Member 2011

I have no doubt you are right. However, the movie was one of those one can never forget. It's definitely in my top ten!

Agreed. The movie was wonderful, especially in the parts when it was wonderful (if that makes sense). I loved it.

I worked at a screenwriter's film festival as an intern in 03 and i think we had Akiva Goldsman (the screenwriter) on one of the panels. Or maybe we wanted to give him an award. I don't remember, I was drunk that year.

And... THIS... is the most beautiful thing ever to my ears... :-)

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Well guys i also realize for all of us our symptoms get worse overtime if we dont change our pattern of behavior! For example in the movie it was stated that if john does not take medicatiob ventually he will not be able to tell the difference bettween what is real and what is not real! And thats the same with my depression i guess if i dont treat the underlining issues i might not be able to feel happyness ever again and that is also a scary thought!

• Administrator

serotonin, if you read the above comments you will see the REAL John Nash did NOT take medication.

They put that in the movie so doctors wouldn't get upset.

Do NOT take medical advice from movies. They're made-up stories.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy