SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Harvey, 2014 New insights on antidepressant discontinuation syndrome

dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

This paper provides an argument about why withdrawal occurs, its effects and how their shiny new drug might shows us the way forward

Hum Psychopharmacol. 2014 Nov;29(6):503-16.
New insights on the antidepressant discontinuation syndrome.
Harvey BH, Slabbert FN.

Abstract at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25111000 Full text here

OBJECTIVE:
Antidepressants are at best 50–55% effective. Non-compliance and the antidepressant discontinuation syndrome (ADS) are causally related yet poorly appreciated. While ADS is associated with most antidepressants, agomelatine seems to be devoid of such risk. We review the neurobiology and clinical consequences of antidepressant non-compliance and the ADS. Agomelatine is presented as a counterpoint to learn more on how ADS risk is determined by pharmacokinetics and pharmacology.

DESIGN:
The relevant literature is reviewed through a MEDLINE search via PubMed, focusing on agomelatine and clinical and preclinical research on ADS.

RESULTS:
Altered serotonergic dysfunction appears central to ADS so that how an antidepressant targets serotonin will determine its relative risk for inducing ADS and thereby affect later treatment outcome. Low ADS risk with agomelatine versus other antidepressants can be ascribed to its unique pharmacokinetic characteristics as well as its distinctive actions on serotonin, including melatonergic, monoaminergic and glutamatergic-nitrergic systems.

CONCLUSIONS:
This review raises awareness of the long-term negative aspects of non-compliance and inappropriate antidepressant discontinuation, and suggests possible approaches to “design-out” a risk for ADS. It reveals intuitive and rational ideas for antidepressant drug design, and provides new thoughts on antidepressant pharmacology, ADS risk and how these affect long-term outcome.

Edited by Altostrata
added link

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Link to full text added.

At the time, I felt Dr. Harvey was too optimistic about agomelatine:

February 5, 2015

Dr. Harvey —

I was curious to verify that agomelatine did not have withdrawal difficulties in general use. Every single one of the new antidepressants originally claimed they did not cause sexual side effects or withdrawal syndrome, and these claims have been inaccurate for every single one of them.

Unfortunately, I have found some anecdotal reports of withdrawal syndrome from Valdoxan, as I expected http://www.drugs.com/answers/hi-friends-hope-all-is-well-with-you-all-435468.html Also complaints of other typical antidepressant side effects.

A few weeks of mouse studies or even human studies are inadequate to delineate the frequency and intensity of adverse effects.

Agomelatine is not prescribed often, and is not approved in the US. We have few members who have taken it.

We do have a few cases of agomelatine withdrawal syndrome:

On the other hand:

Other reports of agomelatine withdrawal symptoms:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/has-anyone-come-off-valdoxan-cold-turkey--513061

I wonder if agomelatine withdrawal syndrome is known in the Netherlands? Cinderella Therapeutics makes tapering strips for it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

A systematic review of agomelatine-induced liver injury

Silka Dawn Freiesleben and Karolina Furczyk

"Agomelatine prescription at therapeutic doses does pose a risk of inducing liver injury, which is usually reversible. However, rare cases of severe and life-threatening hepatotoxicity have also occurred. "

Escitalopram 1.05 mg (max of 30 mg, taper from 10 mg to now started september 2016)

Klonopin 0.3 mg (one dosage reduction of 25 percent, from 0.4 to 0.3 mg september 2017)

Supplements: magnesium malate, fish oil, curcumin, multivitamin, iodine, probiotics, vitamine D along with eating healthy 80 percent of the time, I have no problem whatsoever taking supplements.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy