MapleleafGirl

Mapleleafgirl: Successfully Tapered off Paxil

48 posts in this topic

Hi there:)

I was a member of paxilprogress since 2004 and then the site was shut down...I was on paxil for 8.5 years starting in 2001...after a horrible withdrawal ..at 11 months off i went back on paxil again for a few years then did a successful 4 year taper with compounded pills.. i have now been paxil free since June 1, 2014..paxil progress members will know who i am:)

Michele aka MapleLeafGirl

Admin note: MapleLeafGirl's Introductions topic: ☼ Mapleleafgirl off Paxil

Edited by Altostrata
added admin note

Hi :) so great to read a success story like yours, I'm still in the trenches with this blimmin drug :)

Mapleleafgirl, so nice to see you here! I was hopng you would find us. Your slow taper is such a successful one. I always liked your posts, and I know people need to see them. How are you?

i had this site bookmarked for a while...just was waiting a bit to see what would happen with PP ..i am still in shock as i was there since 2004...but glad to know there is another site that will help people:) I am doing good:) 7 months off this past week:)  Happy to see other PP friends here!! I see you are getting close to the end:))

It's great to see you here, I was hoping you would turn up!  I think it is good for newbies to see people like you who successfully slow tapered, like a sort of tapering role model, as it were.  Your experience provides some evidence that all the slow tapering advice given does actually work!  Very glad to hear you are still doing well at 7 months off.

Hi Songbird:) yes i am doing well and the slow taper did help me get to that point....it makes a big difference to do it super slow...4 years seemed like a long time but i just stuck to it and kept going and eventually i reached the end:) I wish i could remember my complete tapering schedule but i had that all on PP and never recorded it anywhere else but maybe i will figure it all out then write that all into my siggie.

Hi All:)

My name is Michele aka MapleLeafGirl....I was on and off 20mgs of paxil from 2001- 2010...I had a horrible withdrawal back in 2006 from tapering off too fast..had to go back on at 11months off and then stayed on for a couple of years until May 2010 when i started my 4 year taper using compounded pills from my local pharmacy....i had my full tapering schedule on PaxilProgress where i was a memeber since 2004 but since the site was shut down i dont have access to it..so i will try to do my best to give a summary here of how i did it...

In my doses from 20 - 10mgs i had my pills compounded like this....19.5 ...19...18.5..18...17.5 17...16.5..16..15.5...15..14.5..14...13.5..13..12.5..12..11.5 11. 10.5 ..10 - with these doses for the first few ones i did 60 days then went to 30 days each dose down

then from 10- 1 mgs..my tapering at each dose looked like this and i did each dose for 30 days:

9.8, 9.6, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0,

so each dose i did what you see above in those small dose downs...that took a total of 4 years to come off...BUT...i had basically no withdrawal at all...it was very consistant...the only main thing i had and still have to this day is FATIGUE..and that is due to the paxil sleep as i call it as you never go to that restful sleep on the meds..and i am hoping that eventully i will get those nights of good sleep..i had the rare dizzy spell and rare nausea and headaches but those only came around duing "that time of the month" but other than that i had it very easy because i did taper so slow and i did not up or down dose ..i stuck to my taper 100% ..i knew from the beginning it would be a long road and i was committed 100% to getting off the stuff safe...I am not Paxil free Since June 1st 2014 and 7 months off and doing well...

Hi Michele,

I wish you could hear me cheering for you from Australia!   Thank you for sharing your story and the keys to your success, slowly, slowly, gently, gently.

Well done.

I know what you mean by paxil sleep.  I find I have deeper more restorative sleep when I take a combination of magnesium and taurine

Dalsaan

Yay!  Congratulations and well done!  I must admit I am quite envious that you had hardly any withdrawal problems and it only took you four years!  (I'm up to six already this time, with a few more still to go, and have issues after each drop).

Hi Michele, I just said hello in the PP thread but I will say it again here.  And I agree, it's good that you are here to serve as the "poster child" for slow tapering.  :)

So glad you found us here MapleleafGirl.   :)

Hey maple, good to see you here! Glad you are still doing well. I remember you dropped off at 1 mg. Well a couple of days after I dropped from .9 to.7 I really felt it but only for about two days, did you feel anything when you initially jumped at 1 mg? Now if we can only get king cobra on here . He Wasn't doing good and could benefit from this place.

Hi Michelle, this is so strange but I was only thinking of you this morning bizarrely! I wondered if you would be here as I remember you from PP. I remember you as the lady doing a really slow taper and I remember you doing really well. Well done on coming off Seroxat, you are very brave and your taper schedule has worked well for you. I would love to know a little more about your taper schedule, would you mind sharing? Did you do a 5% taper the whole way through? Did you ever use the liquid at all? Thankyou Michelle and once again well done. :-) (ps I apologise if this post sends twice, the first message I tried to post didnt work)

Hey maple, good to see you here! Glad you are still doing well. I remember you dropped off at 1 mg. Well a couple of days after I dropped from .9 to.7 I really felt it but only for about two days, did you feel anything when you initially jumped at 1 mg? Now if we can only get king cobra on here . He Wasn't doing good and could benefit from this place.

No i didnt feel anything different...all my doses were basically the same and when i went off at 1mg i was fine...but i went so slow in those lower doses that i felt nothing really at each dose down...my only real thing was fatigue and still is...

Hi Babs:))

Yay!  Congratulations and well done!  I must admit I am quite envious that you had hardly any withdrawal problems and it only took you four years!  (I'm up to six already this time, with a few more still to go, and have issues after each drop).

you will for sure get there:) 6 years is just fine as that is how you need to go...people thought i was crazy to taper that long at 4 but i had to go that slow myself...and i am so glad i did....

Hi Michele,

I wish you could hear me cheering for you from Australia!   Thank you for sharing your story and the keys to your success, slowly, slowly, gently, gently.

Well done.

I know what you mean by paxil sleep.  I find I have deeper more restorative sleep when I take a combination of magnesium and taurine

Dalsaan

I take three magnesium every night so that helps with the initial sleep but i can basically hear what is goign on around me at the same time i am dreaming...i do however a couple of times a month get that full night sleep so that gives me hope that nomal sleep will come in the future at some point:)

Hi Michelle, this is so strange but I was only thinking of you this morning bizarrely! I wondered if you would be here as I remember you from PP. I remember you as the lady doing a really slow taper and I remember you doing really well. Well done on coming off Seroxat, you are very brave and your taper schedule has worked well for you. I would love to know a little more about your taper schedule, would you mind sharing? Did you do a 5% taper the whole way through? Did you ever use the liquid at all? Thankyou Michelle and once again well done. :-) (ps I apologise if this post sends twice, the first message I tried to post didnt work)

I did 5% and lower i think:) from 20 -10 i did the dose downs like this: 19.5 ...19...18.5..18...17.5 17...16.5..16..15.5...15..14.5..14...13.5..13..12.5..12..11.5 11. 10.5 ..10  ...first few ones i stayed on for 60 days then once i felt comfortable with my tapering i did 30 days each one....

when i got to 10mgs..everything under that i went each dose like this: 9.8, 9.6, 9.4, 9.2, 9.0, 8.8, 8.6, 8.4, 8.2, 8.0, 7.8, 7.6, 7.4, 7.2, 7.0...and like that all the way down to 1mg..every 30 days

i only ever used compounded pills ..my doctor wrote all my prescriptions for those doses every 3 months i would go and get 3 months of prescriptions for each of the doses...and then took those to my compounding pharmacy:) it made it so easy..to just take the capsul everday, i didnt have to meaure out liquid paxil ect..or cut pills myself:)

Good to see you here, MLG. I was wondering how you've been doing since you're 7 months or so out now.

MLG,

Welcome to SA!

You may notice that your topic looks a bit different: I merged your 2 topics (the one in the Introductions forum) into one and left the one in the Recovery Stories foum the single topic you will have. We do it a bit different here than what you may be used to. We like to keep one unified story for each member to use as a journal, to post updates, ask questions and receive advice, support and well wishes from other members.

A member who has a recovery story has their topic moved to this forum and any topic they had in the Intro forum gets 'locked' and their journey continues here.

So if this is where you would like your topic to stay, you need not do anything. If you would like to have moved to the Intro forum, just PM any mod or admin (or even just a post in your thread will do) and we will move you there until you wish to be considered permanently in the Recovery Stories forum.

You'll find a lot of great support here (as well as a lot of the people you knew at PP!)

Perfect!!! thanks so much:))

Hi Michelle so glad to find you at sa.

Thanks so much for putting up your tapering. (I didn't realize it was here already when i requested it in the pp refugees thread...apologies..i should have checked here first).

No doubt about it you are the  'go-to-girl' for tapering thats for sure.

I can remember you saying at this taper speed you were able to hold down a job ! Not a small thing for someone in wdl. Yet even at this speed you said you still had what you called 'stuff'. (Meaning no zero wdl symptoms ) but it would clear quickly.

Thank you, MapleLeafGirl, this topic is just right for a success story.

When did the sleep problems start? How have they changed since you've been completely off Paxil?

Thank you, MapleLeafGirl, this topic is just right for a success story.

When did the sleep problems start? How have they changed since you've been completely off Paxil?

On paxil i never went into that deep sleep stage as for some reason that medication does not get you there...so i was always tired on it...and now that i am off, i have had a couple of nights a month where i get that full night sleep..but 95% of the time i am sleeping and dreaming but half awake..cant explain it really..lol..i am just aware while sleeping what is going on ..outside of my sleep...hopefully the farther away i get from being off..this will start to adjust itself..

Thank you so much Maple for sharing your successful slow tapering! Really happy for you! This gives everyone here hope!

I was able to use that Way Back Machine thingy..and actually find a post in pp where i commented and found my tapering in my siggie...it only went up to December 2013..so i guessed at the first dates of the months for the last few...

3rd attempt at withdrawal going slow..compounded pills
Taper:
05/27/2010 - 03/12/12: Tapered From 20mgs - 6.2 (2years)
04/11/2012 - 6.0 - 3.4 - 05/05/2013 (Third year into Taper)
06/04/2013 - 3.2
07/04/2013 - 3.0
08/03/2013 - 2.8
09/03/2013 - 2.6
10/04/2013 - 2.4
11/03/2013 - 2.2

12/04/2013 - 2.0

01/03/2014 -1.8

02/02/2014 -1.6

03/01/2014 - 1.4

04/01/2014 - 1.2

05/01/2014 - 1.0

PAXIL FREE JUNE 01 2014

Mapleleaf, reading this is just what I needed to read right now. Thank you for sharing this story and congratulations on the success of your taper! 

Sleep is my issue with Zoloft and why I so desperately need to get off it--I only sleep the first part of the night and this has been going on for years, I guess I am missing out on deep sleep or REM sleep (I always get them confused) and I feel constantly fatigued. It's so difficult to work, parent, and everything else after years of this. 

From reading your story, am I understanding correctly that you reinstated the Paxil after 11 months off? What dose did you reinstate at (your original dose?) and did it have the full effect of clearing your w/d? I have just reinstated Zoloft at a low dose after 6 weeks off and am hoping and praying that it clears my symptoms. I am willing to go up to a higher dose if necessary, and so do an excruciatingly long taper if necessary to get off this stuff and avoid the terrible w/d symptoms that I am having now and have had twice in the past (but always assumed was relapse b/c my doctor never told me w/d existed). 

Thank you for your comments. 

Mapleleaf, reading this is just what I needed to read right now. Thank you for sharing this story and congratulations on the success of your taper! 

Sleep is my issue with Zoloft and why I so desperately need to get off it--I only sleep the first part of the night and this has been going on for years, I guess I am missing out on deep sleep or REM sleep (I always get them confused) and I feel constantly fatigued. It's so difficult to work, parent, and everything else after years of this. 

From reading your story, am I understanding correctly that you reinstated the Paxil after 11 months off? What dose did you reinstate at (your original dose?) and did it have the full effect of clearing your w/d? I have just reinstated Zoloft at a low dose after 6 weeks off and am hoping and praying that it clears my symptoms. I am willing to go up to a higher dose if necessary, and so do an excruciatingly long taper if necessary to get off this stuff and avoid the terrible w/d symptoms that I am having now and have had twice in the past (but always assumed was relapse b/c my doctor never told me w/d existed). 

Thank you for your comments. 

I have issues with sleep too..i did on paxil..while tapering and still at 7.5 months out...i am missing out as well on the deep sleep....some nights i do have it but its rare..but atleast that shows me that eventually it should get there:)

Yes i reinstated the last time at 11 months off paxil...i went back on at 10mgs..then went to 15mgs..a few months later then to my full dose of 20mgs.. a few months after that.....i started to feel a little better at 7 days back on...and then from there it got better...my longest lasting symptom..was the blurry vision...and the zero sleep...those started to clear up at about 4 weeks.....I stayed on paxil again for 2 years then in May of 2010 i started my 4 year long taper....i had minimal stuff..i went really slow...i was so freaked out about the horrible withdrawal i had a few years back...before i RI at 11 months off...that i just knew i had to take it mega slow..

Hi there:)

I was a member of paxilprogress since 2004 and then the site was shut down...I was on paxil for 8.5 years starting in 2001...after a horrible withdrawal ..at 11 months off i went back on paxil again for a few years then did a successful 4 year taper with compounded pills.. i have now been paxil free since June 1, 2014..paxil progress members will know who i am:)

Michele aka MapleLeafGirl

Hi Michele

You are such an inspiration!  I have read stories on coming off Aropax and I was terrified of coming off this drug.  I have been on Aropax for almost 12 years.  I started of on 20mg and 2 months later increased to 40mg.  I went down to 20 mg about 9 years ago and stayed on that dose until the other day.  I consulted my doctor last week and told him I was ready to start weaning of this.  He told me to reduce my dosage to 10mg but I will need to stay on this for a couple of months before tapering down any further.  Today is my 5th day on 10mg and so far so good.  I have only had head zaps on and of for 4 days and a bit of nausea but my mood is great.  I have also started to dream again.  I will most likely use your tapering guide under 10mg.  I also found a compound pharmacy in my area which is great.  I have to say that Aropax really helped me with my severe anxiety and panic attacks as i have only had a handful since being on medication.  It was great to find a site where you can read posts with success stories.

You are going WAY too fast...if you were 20mgs you should not be going to 10mgs..you need to taper so slow..10% every 30-60 days...it took me 4 years to come off 20mgs of paxil...and you may feel good right now..but you are going too fast and it will soon catch up....you cant go from 20 to 10 that is dangerous..not to mention..the doctor is giving you bad advise...you basically just cut your dose in half...the symptoms will soon catch up...zaps and nausea are just the beginning..with a slower taper you can pretty much avoid most things...

this is how i tapered down to 10...

19.5, 19....18.5....18....17.5...17...16.5..16..15.5...15...14.5 14..13.5..13..12.5..12..11.5. 11..then 10.5..10...that took me a year and a bit..then after that i went even slower..under 10 and that took me the 3 years...

hello maple, thankyou for telling us your story... well done.  If only I had known to give up my stuff, over four years!  Too late now.  Hope I am better in a year or two.  Yes, halving a dose is way too fast,  damn doctors...xxx

Obviously you are going for a gentle landing, instead of the crash..

Did you jump off at 1mg?

I was put on Aropax  (Australia)  alias Paxil by an uninformed gp. (For being exhausted and thin, yes, time to tear up old hospital notes?)................ had been drug free for about 9 years (yep AD stuff)...   Paxil quickly sent me completely psycho, then followed 8 years on effexor, helping me recover from the paxil....

Then the zoloft, recovering from the Effexor.............. all the time thinking I was well, it it all did way fry my brain.  

Difficult, but grateful, getting my old personality back, horrible the person i was while on all this crap.  Ten years of hell.....      

Hi, Today is my 10th day weaning off Aropax from 20mg to 10mg and doing really well.

I only had very few head zaps and a little nausea on the 4th and 5th day. Head zaps have gone and I only have a little nausea and my mood is fantastic. Fingers crossed all stays well.

Your story gives me hope and something to look forward to. I will be attempting my 3rd withdrawal from Aropax (Paxil) later this year once I come back from a cruise with friends.

Thank you so much for sharing and it is nice to know that someone has successfully rid themselves of this drug. Well done to you !!!!

How are you doing lately, Maplegirl? Also wonder if you felt any setbacks when you completely off the Paxil?

Hi Maplegirl!  I'm very happy to find your success story!  Is it all still going well for you?  I am just about 5 weeks off Paxil.  I started tapering in November 2014 and took my last dose on March 22, 2015.  After reading this site and your post, I know that what I thought was a slow taper was actually very, very fast.  However, the WD was manageable until 3 weeks Paxil free.  I guess that I should probably go back on some dose of Paxil, but I am hesitant for two reasons:  First, I feel like a failure going backwards and secondly, I don't know how much Paxil to start back on.  I was on 60 mg for about 15 years.  My last dosage was 10 mg. Then I went to 0 in just a couple weeks time because I was excited to be off of it.  Do you or anyone else have ideas for me?  If I don't got back on Paxil now, am I going to wind up where you were at 11 months off?

I hope you still read this site.  Thanks for any help that you can give me.

I am ALMOST at 1 year off..another 2 weeks and i will be there:) i am doing well...fatigue and sleep are still my main issues..but i can live with those...other that that things are fine:)

Congratulations.

Appreciate the update ..you are a legend!...an all American Canadian hero !

Hi Mapleleafgirl. Thank you so much for writing your success story. It definitely gives me hope. I've been on paxil for 20 years and hope i will succeed in my taper. Right now I'm trying to stabilize on paxil 7.5mg. I was on 20 mg, but switched over to liquid prozac, hoping the taper would be easier on this. Unfortunately, the switch didn't work. I took this for 5 weeks, but stopped and went back to liquid paxil, but at 7.5mg. I was afraid to go any higher since it is recommended to reinstate at much lower dose. It's been 4 weeks now reinstating the paxil...my anxiety is starting to lift, but i still get burning and tingling in my chest and arms that tends to come and go all day long. Did you get any of this when you reinstated?

Also, did you have weight gain on paxil? I gained about 15 to 20 pounds. Did you have any weight lose during your tapering down? Or did the weight come off once you were completely off paxil?

I'm so happy for you that you succeeded in getting off Paxil!!! You must feel so proud! I'm certainly proud of you!

Ladybug99

Your post gives me such hope. I am on 50mg of paroxetine. Yes I know its crazy and had i been informed I would not have gone this high. I started on 25 after my melanoma diagnosis in 2012. The continued stress was taking its toll and my dr upped me to 37.5 and then 50mg. I was able to come down to 25mg on my own 2 years ago. I felt ok at first but then it all came back in a tidal wave of terrible withdrawl. Went back to 50mg. I now know that this dosage will take a very long time to taper from. I am glad to see that capsules can be compounded as it seems mistakes could easiuly be made on the liquids later on. I am searghing for a new dr in my area. My current dr is only interested in me either being on this dosage or going cold turkey. She has lost her mind!!! :huh:

If anyone if in the Houston, TX area I would love some info on a dr that is helpful. Thanks!!!