SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cheeky: on Paxil for 23 years needing advice

Cheeky

Hi cheeky, I feel for you, I just turned 39, have 3 kids and have been in protracted withdrawal for 30 months now. I had to c/t from 20 mgs of celexa in 2011 during my third pregnancy, I was basically told no big deal. Yeah right! I went through a Merry go round of drugs in almost 2 years time, nothing help, ended up dependent on benzos and ambien, which only gave me temporary relief for the first 2 weeks then the doses went up,went through a hellish detox and withdrawal. I tried the supplement route to and tried hrt both just ramped up symptoms. Please be careful with supplements and the drugs, I'm so very sorry your suffering, but I completely understand, you just want relief, to feel normal. I wish you the best

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Thanks skyblue, I just have to be there for my kids , it's been hell the last 3 I just want to get bsck on Paxil.

1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg until 2014

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

-2015 tried tapering again and crashed

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

24/09/23  14.47mg Seroquel.  16.19mg Paxil 

27/11/23.  12.13mg. Seroquel.   13.85mg Paxil

• Administrator

It's impossible to say whether switching back to Paxil will work for you, Cheeky.

Your nervous system has changed since you were on Paxil. Going on and off various drugs and changing dosages of them has also affected your nervous system.

Usually, the fewer changes the better, and the more stability, the better.

I felt better 2 weeks ago being on 100mg and 50 mg of Seraquel . I started not feeling good since I took half of the Seraquel .
Its been 3 days since I increaed the Seraquel to 50mg and went up to 125mg of Zoloft .

Given this is recent history, I would go back to 100mg Zoloft and 50mg Seroquel, and stick with it for a good while.

More is not necessarily better when it comes to taking drugs while having withdrawal symptoms. I would wait to see if 100mg Zoloft and 50mg Seroquel work before boosting the Zoloft.

Through being over-anxious and changing your drugs so much, you're making your situation more complicated and difficult.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cheeky (and all) ,

I've read your thread with interest and have a little to say about the practitioner from Brisbane you spoke with (freeman , I think).

The clinic he works at practices under guidelines from The Walsh Research Institute in the U.S.   This institute has trained doctors all over the world and has a wonderful reputation - you can look up it's website yourself. 

They test for levels of a whole range of things in blood and urine samples , and compound capsules for you to help reach desired levels (that's my

lay-person's understanding).   

I've been seeing a Sydney doctor and receiving this treatment for the past 10 months.   He bulk bills me so it costs nothing.

My initial level of histamine was 0.2 , and should be around 2.0.   We need histamine to manage anxiety , and I had almost none.

I also had a copper level of 24 , and the graph only went up to 22.    Most people have a level of around 11.     So I had heavy-metal poisoning essentially , like the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland (remember: I'm late , I'm late , for a very important date. No time to say hello goodbye , I'm late I'm late I'm late!) 

I think we're wise to be wary of alternative options , but can personally totally recommend nutrition practices based on the Walsh method.

By the way , each 3 months when I've had my levels retested I see the numbers moving in the right direction.   It's slow , but it's real.

I wish you strength in your journey ,    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thankyou that sounds interesting . I saw my doctor and he is putting me back on Paxil . Once I stabilize I will begin the journey of tapering it and will follow the moderators advice . If this Withdrawel didn't make me think bad things I would of stayed on the Zoloft. I just have to think of my children.

-2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg Seraquel

Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 6% per month doing daily micro-taper 

Guided by Mark Horowitz

I'm glad your doctor was willing to go this route, Cheeky.  I hope you get some relief soon.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
Tried to quit twice, finally did it on my 3rd attempt in 2005.

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for letting us know Cheeky, please would you add the paxil and dose to your signature.  I hope you start to feel better soon.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

HI Cheeky,

Reading your thread really makes me angry at the doctors. Glad your son is good now.  How did you go with Dr Healy?  I have been on Seroquel for 2 months last year. Doctor told me to quit cold turkey. Personally, I think it is so wrong to give an antipsychotic drug for anxiety. I hope you are feeling better.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

I haven't heard back yet. I'm still waiting.........

Guided by Mark Horowitz

HI Cheeky,

Reading your thread really makes me angry at the doctors. Glad your son is good now.  How did you go with Dr Healy?  I have been on Seroquel for 2 months last year. Doctor told me to quit cold turkey. Personally, I think it is so wrong to give an antipsychotic drug for anxiety. I hope you are feeling better.

Agreed! They have my son seroquel for anxiety and the poor boy has had issues with swelling in his glands in his neck and a growth on his thyroid. Now I am trying to taper him really slow. He was getting chest pain as well. Poor kid. Pure poison.

2002-put on amitryptiline for fibromyalgia. 10mg.2004-stopped abruptly. Didn't think it helped.2006 approx.-put on Paxil for mild anxiety 20 mg.2007 upped to 40 mg. not sure why.2011- tapered from 40 to 10. went nuts and went back to 20mg2014- tapered from 20mg to 0 from April to The end of June.current meds- Metformin(type 2 diabetic) and low dose aspirin.Take multi vitamin and vit b12, vit. D and magnesium. 5 months off Paxil. Still suffering.recently added 1.2mg of Paxil to alleviate withdrawals.(Nov 30)Dropped to .9mg because having symptoms from reinstatement.(dec 23)<p>taper to .76mg-.8mg (Feb 3) approx. weight .010 to about .008-.009 on scale.
.6mg (march 19th.) .5mg(April 19th)
.4mg(April 27th)
.2 (June 27th)

0mg.  done taper at beginning of August.

Just giveing you an update.

I was admitted to hospital as the withdrawals just got to much for me to handle and I wasn't thinking right.

Soon as I got here I saw the doctors and they agreed I was going through Paxil withdrawals , so they decided to put me back on Paxil and the 50mg of Seraquel .

It's been a week back on and I'm feeling better then what I was.

I'm going to stablize on this and in 6 months time begin the journey of tapering of the Paxil SLOWLY........

Guided by Mark Horowitz

I'm not happy to hear you had to go to the hospital, but it's great that you are seeing some relief from reinstating the Paxil. I do believe you made the right choice. Giving yourself a good amount of time to stabilize before trying a microtaper sounds like an excellent plan. This Paxil is a beast!

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

2006-2007:40-20mg
2009: 20mg to 14mg 2010: 14mg to 10.5mg 2011: 10.5 to 7.6mg  2012: 7.5 to 6.8mg

2013: 6.7-6.3mg 2014: 6.2mg-5.8mg 2015: 5.7 to 5.15mg 2016: 5.1-4.6mg

1/19/17: 4.5mg 3/17/17: 4.4mg

6/15/17: 4.35mg 8/10/17: 4.3mg

1/29/18: 4.1mg 5/07/18: 4.0mg

7/31/18: 3.9mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cheeky , thanks for the update.     I'm so glad to hear you got the relief you needed.    Are you in Sydney?

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Cheeky, I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and were able to reinstate on Paxil.  Sorry you had to go to the hospital though!  At least the doctors there acknowledged withdrawal.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005

I went from 20mg to zero in about four months, believing at the time that it was a reasonable taper.  It wasn't.  I suffered mostly emotional symptoms: frequent episodes of "anxious depression" lasting for about 17 months before it got noticeably better.

Yes I'm from Sydney .

Thanks for the kind words

Guided by Mark Horowitz

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for updating Cheeky.  I'm glad you are starting to feel better now that you have reinstated the Paxil and are stabilizing back on 50mg of seroquel.

From reading back through your thread, I noted that you cut your seroquel dose by 50%, down to 25mg around Jan 7th, this year, but this isn't mentioned in your signature.  Please would you add this detail as its an important factor in your drug history.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi Cheeky,

I am glad that you are feeling better.  :)

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

Hi guys, I just want to give an update, its been 10 days on paxil and im taking 40mg in the morning and 50mg of seraquel at night. I feel so much better and I now Know I was in a really bad shape atfer stopping the paxil the way the doctor advised me too. Cymbalta and Zoloft both didnt work as the paxil wd were so bad and I feel ive been to hell and back.

I just want to ask a question about when I should start to think about the very slow tapper of this drug. I was going to wait at least 4 months to make sure I'm stablized and then taper the paxil first by 10% of each dose every 6 weeks then once that is complete start the seraquel tapper the same way.  Would that be the right way of doing it?

Guided by Mark Horowitz

I'm so glad to hear how much better you are feeling! That's great news.

To answer your question I think waiting 4 months before beginning your taper sounds like a good idea. If I were you I would taper the Seroquel first since you haven't been on it as long as Paxil and also because anti-psychotics can have some nasty side effects. You are on a low dose so I wouldn't worry about it that much, but a Paxil taper can take years and you might not want to be on Seroquel that long. That is just my personal opinion, but if you feel the Seroquel is helping you then just taper the Paxil first. It really is up to you.

I do believe this site advocates that you should taper the AD first though. Here's a thread for you to read over:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2207-taking-multiple-psych-drugs-taper-the-antidepressant-first/

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

HI Cheeky, thanks for the update.  I'm so glad to hear your reinstatement was successful.  I think waiting a few months is a good idea, and I agree with Ladybug that you might want to consider dropping the Seroquel first.  It looks like you've been on it a couple of years?  Or has it been less?

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005

I've been on the Seraquel now for a around 4 months , but it tells you everywhere to tapper the antidepressant first and I worked out if I tapper by 10% it will be around 3 years to be Paxil free , I'm not sure what to do, I will see what the moderator thinks .

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Ooops, I don't know how I mis-read that in your sig, there it is plain as day.  Well it's up to you but what Ladybug said makes sense to me considering the short use.  The important thing is that you are feeling more stable.

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005

At the bottom of the page from the above link it talks about antipsychotics :

To make this a little more confusing, if you are taking an antipsychotic, e.g. Seroquel or Risperdal, you may wish to discontinue that first, because of serious adverse health effects from antipsychotics, such as diabetes.

However, if you're taking an antipsychotic to counter an adverse effect of an antidepressant, such as sleeplessness or agitation, you may want to discontinue the antidepressant first.

Conceivably, one might systematically lower the antidepressant part way, then lower the antipsychotic.[This sounds a good idea to ] If sleep doesn't break up, continue to get off the antipsychotic. If it breaks up, stop lowering the antipsychotic, stabilize, and lower the antidepressant, managing the tapers in a way that preserves sleep.

So sorry you are in this most difficult place.

From what i am reading about antipsychotic drugs and the adverse effects i think to start to taper this once stable would be very wise.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi Cheeky--  I've been tapering off of mg paxil for the past three and a half years and should finish up some time this summer.  Even though it's been that long, it seems to have gone quite quickly.  Once I got stable and tapered at a constant rate I was able to see small improvements that grew into large improvements the entire way down.  Please don't be put off by the idea that it will take so long, it really is the best way to go.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

hi brassmonkey, so you tappered every dose by 10% ? I just wont this posion out of my system before it makes me worse. Im going to tapper of the seraquel first and i will find out how to do that.

Guided by Mark Horowitz

• Moderator Emeritus

Good choice Cheeky.     You'll be finished the paxil  taper in a couple of months , then it's out of your life.   Mind you , I like the alternating thing suggested by nz too.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

OOPS , sorry.            I meant you'll be finished the Seroquel taper        :)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Cheeky,

In the last 3 months you have:

Started Seroquel 25mg and stopped Aropax

Started Cymbalta 30mg

Increased Cymbalta to 60mg

Increased Cymbalta to 90mg

Stopped taking Cymbalta and started Zoloft 50mg

Increased Zoloft to 75mg

Increased Zoloft to 100mg

Increased Seroquel to 50mg

Dropped Seroquel to 25mg and increased Zoloft to 125mg

Increased Seroquel back up to 50mg

Stopped taking Zoloft and started Paxil 20mg

Increased Paxil to 30mg

Increased Paxil to 40mg

Please do give your nervous system time to settle down before starting another taper.  With all of these drug changes and dose changes so close together, you have no idea what's helping, each change needs at least several weeks to allow your nervous system to stabilize, so you can find out if it was a good change.  20mg of Paxil may have been enough if you had given it more time.  I know you are feeling better now, but please allow more time to make sure you have stabilized before starting another taper. I suggest at least two months and one month of being symptom free.

How are you feeling now?  What symptoms are you still having, what has changed?

It sounds like you have decided to taper the Seroquel first, here are our Tips for tapering off it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

I hope your improvement continues, do keep us updated.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Your right petunia,

I do have slight waves on aniexty during the day that I can live with , but I will stablize for at least a few months to make sure it's all good and then I will start to tapper . I think it is important to give my nervous system a break. I will read the link to gave me.

Thankyou everyone for all your help, I don't feel so

alone in. This .

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Good idea to let things settle out for a few months before starting to taper.  All those changes recently will really confuse the ol' brain.  Yes I have dropped by a steady 10% the whole time.  I, however, am doing what I call "The Brassmonkey Slide".  I drop 2.5% a week for four weeks and then hold an additional two weeks before doing it all again.  This worked fine until I got down to 3mg, then the math caught up with the accuracy of the scales and the drops started getting too big.  So I have switched to dropping 1mg of pill weight every two weeks with an additions two week hold.  So far so good.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Cheeky,

Just thought I would chime in.

I agree with the others that stopping the seroquel first in your case would be good.

I tapered seroquel first because I had been on it such a short time.

This way you will just have one drug to concentrate on. And I also agree with the others, give yourself some time to settle before tapering.

Like so many others, you may have no problems until you get down to a low dose. Be prepared to hold a long time at low doses, if you need, to keep things going smoothly.

I think you will do fine.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

I definitely think it's advisable that you wait at least a few months before making any more changes. However, I believe it is unrealistic to wait until you are symptom-free before you begin your taper. Many people in poop out (including myself) find that they are never symptom free so what we do is wait until we are at a point where the symptoms are tolerable. I held for six months in 2013 and never became symptom free, and my taper has been excruciatingly slow so I know it wasn't a matter of "symptoms catching up to me." Only when I began to taper again (at the same slow rate) did I begin to feel better. I can also understand why you raised your dose to 40mg considering that was the dose you were on for 19 years. But now that you are back on your original dose, it's best to not make any more changes and get as stable as possible before beginning your taper whether it be the Seroquel or Paxil. Glad you are feeling better!

a.k.a JMarie

Paxil since Mar.1998

I have made an appointment to see Dr Yolanda Lucire on next Monday, she was recommended on this site and I wonder what she had to say. I will let you know how it goes.

Guided by Mark Horowitz

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cheeky--  I've been tapering off of mg paxil for the past three and a half years and should finish up some time this summer.  Even though it's been that long, it seems to have gone quite quickly.  Once I got stable and tapered at a constant rate I was able to see small improvements that grew into large improvements the entire way down.  Please don't be put off by the idea that it will take so long, it really is the best way to go.

This is a really important point. People look at a long taper and often say "I can't possibly taper that long." What they don't realize is that you get improvement all the way down. Bad effects of the drugs are dosage related, so that stuff improves and clears up well before you get to the end of the taper.

And it's not really a choice. Your body is the boss and is the one who will tell you how fast you can taper. The 10% is just a guideline.

That said, 40 mg is a high enough dose that you might be able to go a bit faster at first. You'll probably need to slow it down by around 15-20 mg though.

Also, there's nothing wrong with doing alternating tapers: off a bit of Seroquel, then down on the Paxil a bit, then back to the Seroquel for a bit. Personally that's the way I prefer it, because you bring your drug load down together. 

But none of this is fast.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

That is a gret idea, thanks Rhi

Guided by Mark Horowitz

Three months ago I knew nothing about antidepressant withdrawals and the dangers of psychiatric medicine and that sites like this existed, I was very naive. My question is, 20 years ago I was put on Paxil because I was getting a bit depressed and the doctor thought taking Paxil would help and yes it sure did , that's why I took it for so long ,as well as being told I have a chemical imbalance ,

I never suffered any form of aniexty or other symptoms like I have the last few years .I'm realizing now that I used to lower my dose by 10mg at a time, I would be alright for a couple of weeks then would crash, I'd get really bad aniexty , night sweats, agitation, insomnia and nervousness , I thought my depression was coming back . WhenI think about it now I known it was Paxil withdrawal I was experiencing.

have been on a roller coaster for 3 years not realizing that you can't just play around with this lethal medication . I just don't understand how this can happen to people like myself and I ended up in hospital.

I just thank God sites like this existed .

Guided by Mark Horowitz