SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Technical support and bug reports

mammaP

• Moderator Emeritus

I can't find a topic for site issues so will start one here.  My notification tab is not functioning, it shows there are notifications, but the menu doesn't drop, just flickers and shows a narrow white strip. I had problems with the laptop but all are fixed, it is the sane in ff and chrome.   Any ideas CW? 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Well duh, I read this too quickly and sent you a PM which of course you won't get a notification of.....

I take it you are using IE and a windows computer?

what was your computer issue yesterday?

off the top of my head I would start with this: In the IE internet options, go to the 'advanced' tab and 'reset ie':

Post back and tell me what happens after you do this.

Edited by cymbaltawithdrawal5600
removed image

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

In the meantime I will (force myself to) use IE for the rest of the day and see what other quirks I may find. Problem is, it won't do much good. Since the last site upgrade, IE has become broken for a lot of people as in: it won't quote posts or allow any pasting into the post editor. Alto has to undertake a big fix and is still working on it. I am suggesting people use FF or (ugh) chrome for the duration.

And the topic for support can stay, other issues were usually posted in 'How to use this site' (if I didn't happen to see them in topics elsewhere....)

Now, I composed this post in IE and it would not show my image being attached to the post. Came to FF, attached it and now it shows in the editor (but the posted post showed the image). One way I can tell when someone uses IE to post images is because it always adds the 'attached thumbnails' crap.

removed image

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I use chrome or in desperation firefox and it's the same with both. Computer was just running slow and then stopped loading. I have avast AV and their tech support is amazing, they walk you through everything step by step and now it's fine again. The issue started a few days ago before the 'crash' . I'll try ie, but don't use it normally so might have to do the updates. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

The PM box drops fine so saw your pm, it's the other one that notifies of replies etc that is broken. I can't see when someone quotes me or posts in the topics I follow. The red number is there but doesn't drop. Nope, same with IE too. Must be my puter if no-one else is having the same problem?

2002  effexor. 

Update FF and try it and see if the notif window works but do the IE reset anyway.

IE is integral to windows and often its settings are used by the coders when they code for the other browsers.

Oh, just saw your reply: that is a box that I have only seen once on my screen. I'll check it out....

Go to the settings tab for the notifs and make sure they are checked to show and do the IE reset, reboot comp and post back

In meantime I will test my notifs, I just have mine all sent to email, I keep an email window open and when I hear the new msg dinger, I look to see if it is something I need to log on for or can just read w/o being logged in....

mammaP,

It is not a good idea to turn off the 'updates', IE gets updated from the Windows updates and so if those are turned off, not good. Were they turned off?

So it's chrome I must use, then? That is what you are using that is giving the upset (I will be fully awake soon, I hope....)

• Moderator Emeritus

No IE aren't off, so must be updating automatically, just thought that as I haven't used it for years it might need it. It's all the browsers, the same with all of them, IE FF and chrome.  

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The little box next to the pm box it is black with a person on it. 

2002  effexor. 

Aha! I did a manual email retrieve for new topics I am following and yours came in BUT MY MOTIF WINDOW HAS NO RED NUMBER IN IT. It does drop down and your reply is there. Does yours not drop down still (and we are in chrome, right?)

And you did the IE reset and rebooted?

Ok, for what it is worth: none of the browsers show a red number in the notification window but all drop down when clicked and reveal the list of notifications.

MP,

try this too: go to your notifications and make sure all of them are read and then checkmark ALL of them and delete all notifications. If you don't do this routinely, I am not sure that you don't eventually reach some upper limit and the whole thing stops working right. So delete all of your notifications.

And here's the other thing: the browsers update much more frequently than the Invision people update the IPBoard software. I would expect things to deteriorate over time because of this. That is what happened with IE, it got its quoting broken because of IPB software update. 

I will ask Alto if she thinks we ought to leave this topic. I can respond in here and help people and then go in and delete everything when done helping someone. 

It does not make much sense to keep the various problems and their troubleshooting posts.

OK, MP here is what I found out:

I had to subscribe to the WHOLE of intros just to get one measly notification and that didn't happen for about an hour this morning......

I deleted all of my notifications and when one finally came in, the red number was there too. So everything works as advertised in FF.

Now for chrome: one notification, drops down, no red number. Ver: 39.0.2171.99 m, up to date.

IE: one notification, drops down, no red number.

The only browser that is making all 3 work is FF. Win 8.1, it just installed some updates yesterday. Ver 33.1.1, needs update to 35.

I am away for the rest of the day.

removed image

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you CW, I don't know what we did but I am just back home and it is working again!  :)

You put in a lot of effort, thank you so much  :wub:

2002  effexor. 

Glad to hear it, MP. Sometimes puters just start working when they know I am in the bldg (hah!)

BTW, the notification red numbers all work for me, in all the browsers. They get erased when you either erase or read them.

Feel free to ask your question here if parts of the site (or your computer) are not working correctly and I will help you trouble shoot them if I can.

post-1822-0-03541700-1421854369_thumb.jpg

for MP.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I think I need some technical advice please.

I'm trying to do my introduction , and would like to include 2 short videos.   They are in AVI and MP4 files , and I'm told I'm not allowed to upload these type of files.

Any suggestions welcome.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not tech support but how about uploading them to something like dropbox or a cloud thing and then linking to them, there may be a better solution, but that's all I've got.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Allowed file types are those that can be displayed in browsers. Jpg, pdf are allowed. Not sure about gif, gif would be allowed only if the web host allows it. Files that can be stored in the user's media area, in addition to pdf are excel files. SA is not otherwise a file repository and users are limited in their storage amount (50 mb I think).

Avi and mp4 files do not display in browsers, they need PLAYERS, which would be in the coding of a browser page. The pages here at SA do not include embedded players.

As Petu pointed out, host your files elsewhere and put links to them in your posts.

The above gif (a dancing banana in case I have to remove it) had to be saved to my computer and then uploaded to this post. It was animated but the animation doesn't show. So gifs are an allowed file type.

The 'help' file for SA does not list allowed file types so there may be other allowed ones that I would not know about unless I trued to upload one.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks guys , I'm a computer nerd so this is all very challenging  :blush:.

I'll have it converted to jpg and pdf , and see how I go.    Hopefully you'll be able to see my intro. by the end of the week.

Cheers , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Uploading to YouTube and then providing links to YouTube would work nicely. I believe YouTube has automatic file type converters.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Looks like it might have to be youtube.

CW , is there anywhere else that could host my files?   What about the SA page on facebook?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

I've only used Photobucket for posting images to forums, but I gather they've greatly expanded the formats of videos you can upload. (I've hardly used it in recent years, so you might want to read up on it a bit.)

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

I'm not tech support but how about uploading them to something like dropbox or a cloud thing and then linking to them, there may be a better solution, but that's all I've got.

Petu has it right, either do this Fresh or tell your story in words and skip the videos. People will have to DOWNLOAD those files to their computers in order for the SOFTWARE on their computers to PLAY them. Youtube vids are embedded and play natively. JPG files and pdf files display in browsers natively. AVI and Mp4 files do not unless the web page is coded for them (the players are embedded). Those are the limitations of the site. And as far as I know, people can't upload those kinds of files to the FB SA site either. That site belongs to SA, not the users. If you have your own fb page upload them there and LINK to them. I don't do fb but I do not think you can do that. AVI and mp4 files can be very large. No one hosts them for free on a free site.

Your other option is to start your own site and link to that. Like a blog on wordpress. Lots of people have them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ok , I think I get it now.   Is there a diagnostic term for computer dyslexia ? lol        Youtube it is.

Thanks everyone.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How to regain lost content. This is already in questions but I thought I would put it in here too as it is a technical issue.  

I typed out a long post then my grandson turned off the computer completely by the off button.  :o

I had read somewhere about auto save and tried it. As you are typing it is being saved automatically.  

I restarted the computer, and went to history, I use chrome and you find history by clicking the 3 black lines at the top right of the screen.

Scrolled down to the page I was on, and went to the reply box. There in the bottom left corner it said 'view autosaved content'  I clicked that and

my lost post appeared in a box! Clicked the option to 'restore content' and there it was, as f I had never left it. No more lost posts after typing for ages,

hopefully! 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Brilliant  mammaP , thankyou.    I do this all the time , so have flagged your post to the top of my email inbox.   :)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I went to load another avatar.. but it will not take.  Any ideas as to what is happening with that function?

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Perhaps your avatar is not an accepted file type or size?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Nope... I change my avatar fairly often, and this is the first time I've had trouble.  The avatars I've tried to load are under 20 Kbs, and I can't reload the last one I had on board.  Oh, and I just tried Chrome to make sure it wasn't some fluke in Firefox.. but still nada.  Methinks something has gone a little fluky.   I don't think I'm the only one so afflicted as there seem to be more than the usual number of empty avatar frames.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Same thing just happened to me.    

I tried to change avatar pictures and it wouldn't work , and it won't take back the one I've been using till now.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg