Daveguy2015: Adderall, Lexapro, Prozac + No taper

Daveguy2015

Hello, my name is Dave and this is my introduction. I have quite a long medication background. I have been on medication for nearly my whole life.

When I was seven, I was put on Ritalin for ADHD, and from that point, I have been on psycho stimulants until the age of 25. At 25, something odd happened when I took my usually 10mg dose of adderall. I got my prescription from a mail order pharmacy and they gave me adderall but it was from a different manufacturer. The brand was different. I noticed when I took this new brand the drug didn’t have the same effect. I didn’t feel the intense focus and attentiveness that I usually felt from the usual brand I took. Moving forward, I didn’t think too much of it, I just decided that when I get my next prescription I will make sure to ask for a certain brand.

In January 2010, I ran out of the “weird brand”, and went to the pharmacy and requested my usual one. However, when I took my usual brand I began feeling very uncomfortable; it was as if my brain was too over stimulated from the adderall. The symptoms I felt were confusion, panic, and paranoia. I had felt these symptoms before but they passed. This time they were very strong and overpowering and I couldn’t tolerant it. It was at this point that I decided I couldn’t take adderall anymore. So I stopped and for a few weeks, I was doing well. I just felt now more prone to inattentiveness and decreased focus but I pushed my way through it. By the way, at this time I was still in college, I started late.

So a month off adderall, I was in my bed at night surfing the web on my phone and I began to notice thoughts racing through my mind and I could not stop them. These thoughts, some random and some logical, were racing through in a steady stream. Just the fact of this happening really freaked me out. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before. It made me panicky for the simple fact that I could not control it.

I go about the next month feeling on edge and anxious because of these thoughts. Then in March of 2010, I was at school. I stopped by the bookstore and bought a bag of candy. From there I went to the library, sat down, and started studying. As I’m studying I was drinking a coke and I ate a piece of candy. As soon as I ate the candy, I felt this rush come over me and in that moment, I thought I have been drugged, haha. I laugh about it now because it sounds so silly. But as soon as that happened I rushed out the library and went to the ER because I felt I was really in danger. I was checked out and it was confirmed to be just a panic attack.

Fast-forwarding, the next week I go to a psychiatrist and he puts me on Zoloft 50mg. I took it only about one month. It made me feel better but I didn’t like the side effects so I stopped taking it. In my mind, I knew coming off the adderall had done something to my brain and I didn’t want to keep adding new medications for it to handle, I just wanted my brain to reset itself. Well from April 2010 until August, I suffered from depersonalization and random thoughts entering my mind. This is when my real antidepressant history started.

I become desperate for relief and I went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me Lexapro 10mg. Annnnd boy did it do the trick! Once I started the Lexapro all my symptoms cleared up in about a month and I felt completely normal again. This feeling went on until March of 2014. This is when the Lexapro seemed to stop working and I suffered a panic attack. My panic attacks seem to center around food. Like whenever I eat something, I suspect that there could have been something in it and then I feel drugged and panic. Well this is what happened when I ate a McDonald’s chicken sandwich. Right afterwards, I felt drugged and I called the EMS to come check me out. They did and confirmed that it was a panic attack. I felt so embarrassed.

So after this I go back to my doctor and he up’s my dose of Lexapro to 20 mg. I take it for a few days and I couldn’t tolerate it. It just felt too strong for my system. So then on my own I started cutting the pills and took 15mg. I took this dose until September, which is when I decided that I wanted to go to a different medication. At 15mg, the Lexapro still made me tired and I just felt like I had a foggy brain.

I changed my psychiatrist, and the new one gave me Prozac. I took the Prozac 10mg for one month. During this month, the side effects from the Prozac were bad. I felt intense vertigo and dizziness, especially while driving. Other than this side effect, I was functioning well.

In the back of my mind, I felt elated that I had successfully got off Lexapro by switching to Prozac. That is, when I first started Lexapro, I knew it was going to be tough to get off of because I had read the stories about the brain zaps and extreme anxiety. When I got off it, I felt I had been spared those symptoms because I never got them. This was a big win in my book.

Also at this time, I was in CBT therapy. I told my therapist how the Lexapro had stopped working and that my new psychiatrist switched me to Prozac. I asked her, with the problems that I’m presenting, does she think I need anti-anxiety medication. She told me no and that it was possible to manage my symptoms without the medication. It was at this point that I decided I was going to stop taking the Prozac.

So I asked my psychiatrist if I can stop taking the Prozac and she said yes. She told me that since I was only taking such a small dose that stopping that amount would not cause me much distress. I was so elated when I heard this. I finally felt I had my chance to become medication free in life and just function normally without medication. So for the next two months I was med free and I felt really good. Like I had won the championship. But boy was I wrong.

I stopped taking Prozac October 24th, 2014. On December 25, 2014 the withdrawal symptoms hit me like a ton of bricks. The next day I had low mood, low energy, and no appetite. I felt lethargic. These last few weeks, my mood has been up and down. Some days my mood will be low and then sometimes it comes back to near normal. However, I also have this new symptom, depersonalization. This is accompanying the mood fluctuations. In sum, I feel like I have a low mood and then normal mood but always on autopilot. These last few days the depersonalization has got very bad. Sometimes at moments, I feel like I’m about to lose control and separate from my body, (Is this normal in depersonalization?). When this happens, it really freaks me out and makes my anxiety go through the roof. During this withdrawal time, I’ve tried not to panic. It’s just really distressing. I really don’t want to take medication again but I also want to feel normal.

So what do you think is going on with me? What can I do to feel better? I’ve described my full psychiatric drug history so you all can have the full picture. Do you all have any ideas as to why I started getting the intrusive thoughts after I stopped the adderall? Also, I know I didn’t really taper off my Prozac, I basically just went off cold turkey. A few months ago, I didn’t know what I know now about tapering (this website has taught me alot). Nevertheless, do you all know how I can get better and back to enjoying life again to its maximum potential? Will I be stuck like this for months or even years? I’m really looking for answers because I’m tired of feeling like this. Also I’m afraid to go back to the doctors because I know they will just throw more medication at me. Thank you for reading my story. 

Ritalin (forgot the dosages), 95'-00'
Adderall 10mg for ADD, 00'- Jan 10'
Lexapro 10mg, August 10' - March 14'
Lexapro 15mg, March 14' - Sept 14'
Prozac 10mg, Sept 14' - October, 24th 14'
No meds since October 24th, 14'

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daveguy2015

• Pugknows

• Petunia

• nz11

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Dave

Welcome to the site. Sorry you have been struggling. It sounds like you had withdrawal after stopping the adderall and it sounds like you are in withdrawal now. Withdrawal can take some time to kick in, particularly with drugs with long half lives.

It doesn't really matter that you were on a low dose, the issue is that your system had adjusted to the presence of Prozac and you didn't give it time to adjust to an absence by slowly tapering. That's not your fault. Drs know very little about wd and we rely on them for our advice.

Here is a thread on our key philosophies http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

We find that people do better by reinstating a small dose and then tapering off slowly. Here is a thread that discusses reinstatement http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

Here is a thread on why it's important to taper by 10 percent http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

And one on tapering Prozac specifically http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Sorry to bombard you with info. Take your time reading through it. The key messages are that we are here to help and happy to do so. Your withdrawal indicates a nervous system in distress. To address this we recommend reinstating your Prozac at a low level and tapering off using the 10 percent method.

By low dose I mean say 2mg. It's good to be conservative with doses because your body can become sensitised having gone into withdrawal. If you react ok but still experience symptoms after 4 or 5 days you might increase to 5 mg

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Welcome . Sorry you are going through this.

So what do you think is going on with me?

This is a classic case of your drug is your problem. You are being hit by drug wdl from dangerous chemicals and running back to the doc to get an answer then returning home with a new poison. Basically because they are ignorant of wdl.

What can I do to feel better?

Start by saying No! to anyone peddling drugs would be a big help. Bank drug free time and keep doing it. Its as simple as that.

Do you all have any ideas as to why I started getting the intrusive thoughts after I stopped the adderall?

You were suffering classic stimulant (amphetamine) wdl effects.

10 years is a long time on the drug and wdl can cause 'crashing' with hunger, fatigue, depression, excessive sleep and even suicidality. Also can cause irritability and anxiety.

I know I didn’t really taper off my Prozac, I basically just went off cold turkey. A few months ago, I didn’t know what I know now about tapering (this website has taught me alot). Nevertheless, do you all know how I can get better and back to enjoying life again to its maximum potential? Will I be stuck like this for months or even years? I’m really looking for answers because I’m tired of feeling like this.

CT is not the way to go with these drugs. The are highly brain altering chemicals and the brain needs time to heal and this occurs by tapering slowly else it will cause chaos in the brain ..to such an extent that we all run back to the doc to get answers dont worry ive done that too. But taking more drugs is not the way out of this mess. At 3 months off i would just hold and absorb the wdl as it comes in (if you can), like being at the beach it will arrive in waves at times. Just know it is wdl it wont hurt you and will pass in time. You do not get out of this by reaching out and swallowing something imo. (I am not a doctor however a doctor may see it differently). I think you can do it as i dont see extreme desperation in your language at this time. Wdl can be delayed and strangely 2 months often seems a common timeframe.

Recovery may take many months even years. However you are young and so will probably recover quickly. It will recede with time. Just be aware that over the  coming months you may get these waves of wdl. Dont panic. Its NOT YOU its the drug. And the brain is healing. 

I’m afraid to go back to the doctors because I know they will just throw more medication at me.

This is hopefully the start of the paradigm shift that is needed by all of us. And its the realization that doctors are essentially salesman for pharma and what they are selling is not actually good for us. Doctors can be dangerous. We need to do our homework on what they are peddling because they are not doing any!

It appears you are onto it. Good for you. Millions havent reached this realization they still believe the Emperor clothes and drugs are wonderful!

Dave spend some time on this site getting up to speed on the situation and be informed. Then again spend time staying the course drug free enjoying life and keeping away from doctors when a wave hits. It will get better.

Well done on finding SA. A place sought by millions yet found by few!

Corollary : As Dalsaan said if you cant cope with the wdl this site recommends a ri at a low dose.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Dalsaan: I believe you are right, I had been suffering withdrawals from the adderall. At that time, I didn't know nearly the stuff I know now about slow tapering. Also, with the reinstatement Im trying to keep this as a last resort. I really dont want to be on medication again so Im trying to keep the reinstatement as a last resort.

nz11: At 3 months off since my last dose, do you think my withdrawals could get worse, and how long do you think they could last?

I have a question about my depersonalization. I feel like I'm on autopilot and then at times I feel this scary detachment sensation from my body. Like for a split second if im looking at the screen on my phone, or if i look at my hands, it feels like Im a different person looking at my body. Does this sound like depersonalization? Is this normal?

Hello just an update, I just went to a new psychiatrist this morning looking for answers on my condition and based off what I told her she believes I have a thought disorder because I've had intrusive thoughts and paranoid thinking about being drugged with my food. Then she tried to presribe me Abilify in order to feel better with my symptoms!

I feel like I can't trust any of the doctors. I feel like I'm doing this all alone. Who can I goto for help with my symptoms? Like an official source. I feel very alone.

Dave in wdl its easy to run around from arthur to martha like a headless chicken needing an answer or help to remove the suffering or have someone take the pain away.

This new psychiatrist would be more use selling second hand cars.

Your brain is in chaos from taking potent brain altering chemicals and needs time to heal not another poison to cover wdl off the previous poison. This is something these people wont and refuse to acknowledge...because to do so would be to admit they have harmed you as such they will blame the person and not the poison.

Who are you going to believe people with letters after their names  who have never taken their own medicine or the thousands of testimonies on this site.

imo you are wasting your time seeing them....you will be labelled have your intelligence insulted then leave with a new drug to swallow. And that is exactly what is happening. Do you see how mad psychiatry is ...a different psychiatrist = a different diagnosis=a different drug.

Ive seen a lot worse language in describing wdl so the potential is yes things could get worse than this. Only you know how much you can tolerate imo it may be rough for the next year or so. Wdl has good and bad days and will recede in time.If you cant see yourself surviving this for an extended period then the best option is to reinstate . But reinstate what .You were on lex for 4 yrs and prozac for 1 month ...a sig amount of the driving force of wdl could be due to lex. I'd think about ri the lex if anything but you said you weren't able to tolerate this right?

You are between a rock and a hard place at the moment and ri is better sooner rather than later. And if you ri id go back to the lex. ditch the prozac imo. It may be  better to stick with the drug you were on prior to prazac. imo. Some wiser than me may see it different.

If depersonalization is the worst of your worries then i would continue on drug free.

"I’m afraid to go back to the doctors because I know they will just throw more medication at me. ..." Great insight now believe it.

no you are not alone ....you have found a place that will inform you of the truth. And many supportive people here who have been through this

Wishing you healing and strength.

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hey Nz11, is there a time frame for how long you think my withdrawal could last? How long do you think it will be before I start to have good days and feel windows.

Also its normal for ppl to get the racing intrusive thoughts and anxiety from stopping adderall? I’m just curious to know how do you know this? I haven’t found any sources stating this. When I google adderall withdrawal, the articles mostly talk about feeling low energy and motivation as withdrawal symptoms. They dont say anything about what I experienced.

Im not really keen on ri, I hear what your saying and I will keep it in mind. Your first post is more in line with what I want to do.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Daveguy,

I saw your post in the symptoms section about Depersonalization and feeling dizzy, but thought I would respond in your own thread.  What you describe does sound a lot like depersonalization and yes, it can be part of withdrawal syndrome.  Its something that I've had to deal with as part of my withdrawal, but for me, its just been one of many symptoms and certainly not the worst.

We have a whole topic and discussion about Depersonalization and Derealization, here is the link to it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealizationdepersonalization/

... is there a time frame for how long you think my withdrawal could last? How long do you think it will be before I start to have good days and feel windows.

Its impossible for anyone to answer this question because everyone is different.  I can tell you what happened to me after stopping Lexapro too fast and then taking some other prescription drugs.  After I crashed and went into withdrawal it was about 8 months before I had my first real window.  It lasted for an afternoon. If you look at my signature, you will see that I have a long history with multiple drugs, so that would be a factor, you might start to recover much sooner.  If Depersonalization is your only major symptom and you can deal with it, I would probably try and manage with not reinstating.

Also its normal for ppl to get the racing intrusive thoughts and anxiety from stopping adderall?

From my experience and research I would say no.  Racing thoughts and anxiety can be caused by it, but its generally not a symptom of withdrawal.  Its more likely your racing and intrusive thoughts/anxiety are from the Lexapro/Prozac (SSRI) withdrawal.

I changed my psychiatrist, and the new one gave me Prozac. I took the Prozac 10mg for one month. During this month, the side effects from the Prozac were bad. I felt intense vertigo and dizziness, especially while driving. Other than this side effect, I was functioning well.

Here is something to consider if you did want to try a small reinstatement.  You were getting these side effects from 10mg of prozac, by reinstating just 1mg-2mg, its less likely you would experience these side effects, but this small amount may be enough to stop the withdrawal symptoms.  Then you could give it several weeks to stabilize and then begin a slow, safe taper from this amount.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks for the reply Petu. Is withdrawal syndrome the same thing as protracted withdrawal? Also what do you mean when you say you crashed?

Just to let everyone know I am hanging in there today. My main symptoms are depersonalization and these anxiety spells I get for no reason. I'm able to keep myself together but I have this fear that's in the pit of my stomach. Like today I was shoveling snow and I just felt anxiety rumbling in my stomach. It's weird because there's nothing to be scared about.

I agree with Petu the racing thoughts would be due to ssri wdl. You stopped the adderall 4 yrs ago, so that would now be history imo.

An article i really liked and went through with a highlighter trying to get hope was this one by Healy, imo its extremely informative regarding the situation we now find ourselves in.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1454-dr-david-healy-on-prolonged-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome-2009/?p=13488&hl=healy&fromsearch=1#entry13488

There was also another article i found helpful it was from 'antidepressantfacts' ..i cant actually find it at the moment but if i come across it i'll give you the link ..that one also i pinned to the wall.

Hey that's a good question on the meaning of 'crashed' id like to see an answer to that too. I think this word is rather subjective but for me i have read it as 'an overwhelming swamping of wdl symptoms leaving one pretty well non functioning or at least finding normal functioning very difficult.' This is often triggered at a particular point in a too fast taper. The difference between 'withdrawal syndrome' and 'protracted wdl syndrome' is the word 'protracted' and basically i see that as the same crap, possibly even worse crap imo for a much much longer time. [Apologies Petu if i stole your thunder.]

If you want to get up with the play go to the book section thread and in there you will find some great informative book titles. You may well find most of these in a local library and if not a library can take a suggestion to buy it....i talked my local library into buying 'Pharmageddon' (This one is a bit heavy going and a more of a historical journey so i wouldn't read this first mind you) I like reading Healy, Breggin, Scott, Whittaker. You could start with Breggin 'your drug may be your problem'...you are very lucky and live in america so you could pick up a real cheap second hand one on amazon books then scoot down the bottom where it says 'people who bought this book also bought' ...and you'll have a line up of highly informative stuff!   My concentration has been compromised so i usually can only read small chunks at a time.

Just to let everyone know I am hanging in there today

Good for you ..wdl is war ...so fight to not ri ...its the best way to go imo.

Good luck

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reply Petu. Is withdrawal syndrome the same thing as protracted withdrawal? Also what do you mean when you say you crashed?

The article nz11 linked to gives a good explanation of protracted withdrawal.  Withdrawal syndrome is a name for the collective group of symptoms which can occur after stopping a drug too quickly.  'Protracted' relates to how long those symptoms last.  There doesn't seem to be a consensus about when symptoms are considered to be protracted, once someone is drug free.  I've heard anywhere from 6 months to 2 years being quoted.

The event that I call 'my crash', happened at the end of 2011.  I was already in withdrawal from tapering too fast off 13 years of SSRI use, but didn't know it.  I was still functioning in my life, but struggling with various symptoms.  I was using other prescription drugs to manage symptoms, but was slowly getting worse, not better.  After a particularly stressful week and taking more of my ADHD drugs than usual, I came down with what I thought was a body flu, I couldn't move off the couch for 2 days, I hurt all over.  That cleared up.  But then a couple of weeks later, after taking a combination of ADHD drugs and St Johns Wort for the week I got what I now think was the beginning of serotonin syndrome, I was having all the symptoms of a mild to moderate case of it. I tried to endure it for a day, maybe 2, I can't really remember, I was thinking I was going through some kind of spiritual crisis.  Eventually I took some xanax and that gave me some relief for a few hours.  That was a turning point which I still haven't recovered from. From then on, my symptoms became much worse and started to effect my ability to function in my life, but I was still trying to manage symptoms with drugs and various supplements.  It wasn't until I found this site in May 2013, that I figured out what was really going on, and learned what to do about it.  That was the short version of my story, there is a link to the ongoing, extended version in my signature.

What you describe in your last post about the physical anxiety sensations, which arise for no reason, that's typical of withdrawal.  Do you notice any pattern to them?  Many people find that symptoms are worse in the mornings.  Sometimes increased symptoms can be triggered by certain foods, drinks or activities.  Sometimes physical exertion or heavy exercise makes symptoms worse.  But other people find exercise helpful. You need to pay attention to what helps and what makes you feel worse.  For now, if possible, stop doing things which make your symptoms worse, or pace yourself, take regular breaks.

Has anyone giving you the link to our symptoms/self care section?........ No, well here it is:

Symptoms and self-care   

especially read the topics pinned at the top, you will find lots of helpful non-drug ideas to manage symptoms as you recover.

I'm glad to hear you are hanging in there.  You will get through this

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi Dave. I'm chiming in here because I had a short stint with ADHD meds, including Ritalin, Adderall, and Daytrana. I became pretty much psychotic while taking them, but my doc kept adding rather than subtracting potency. I then sought another doctor who prescribed Effexor for the anxiety I exhibited. She kinda ignored the fact that I was out of touch with reality, too. So I discontinued all of those drugs cold turkey. I can't know if what happened next was due to Effexor wd or the adhd drugs, but let's just say both. I became paranoid, hostile, verbally aggressive, and wrecked my life in a few short months. It was many months since I had taken any psych drugs, yet I was behaving very very badly and in severe distress after the manic part wore off.

I have been mainly off psych drugs for almost two years and markedly better in the last month or so. The morning terrors have abated.

So, welcome! You are not alone. How are your mornings these days?

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

Yes your right NZ11 and Petu, I read this article by Healy and it has helped a lot in terms of explaining what's going on with my brain. The symptoms he lists are right on point. I have the depressed mood and anxiety and the depersonalization. It's weird though because these last few days I've been sick and I haven't felt it as strong. It's like more settle and I guess that's because the feelings of being sick overlap so I just attribute it to that.

Yeah I had the same understanding about crashed as well. I know for everyone it's different. 

That's the thing Petu, I don't really notice a recognizable pattern. When I wake up in the mornings I still experience the DP and then some intrusive thoughts. It's very uncomfortable but I remind myself not to freak out. As the day goes on the DP flares up and down as well as the anxiety. The DP really makes my anxiety bad. I began to feel hypersensity to any stimuli especially food. Like when ever I eat theres this idea thats lodged in my head that my food could have been tapered with and I could be drugged. I know this thought is untrue but it still comes into my mind anyway. 

Can anyone relate to this?

Dave just relax.

Yes in wdl nonsense thinking seems so real doesnt it. The brain is playing tricks dont fall for it.

Something i would do was ask myself  would the majority of fellow humans be feeling like this ....or thinking like this ...or closer to home would my brother be thinking this way. I had to answer always no of course not.

So i decided in that case i am lying to myself and i wont accept it. Speak back to it and just say no that is not right.

In terms of weird head feelings i am sorry but this is just normal You have put some mud in a jar of water shaken it up now just wait it will settle again. Be patient.

If all you are worried about right now is some dp then you are very lucky because i reckon things could be a lot worse.

You will be ok.

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Like when ever I eat theres this idea thats lodged in my head that my food could have been tapered with and I could be drugged. I know this thought is untrue but it still comes into my mind anyway. 

Yes, I've had that one, especially when someone else had cooked the food or brought it over, the first time that thought popped into my head was a shock, but then I realized that I had a choice about whether or not to believe the thought.

I asked myself, how likely was it that this person was trying to poison me and I couldn't think of one reason why they would, well nothing which made any sense.

From experience, I know it can be difficult to keep a grasp on reality when DP and DR is messing with our perceptions, I've had them both and still get them at times, but not so bad now.  It can be frightening when nothing and no one, including anything about ourselves feels familiar or safe any more. 

The way I see it is similar to nz11, our brain/nervous system isn't working properly at the moment, its doing some strange stuff.  Our mind isn't sure what's going on either and in its panic to try and make sense out of it and have some control, it throws out random ideas and thoughts.

"This food doesn't taste right, now I'm feeling hot and dizzy, my chest feels tighter, maybe someone put some drugs or poison in this food, that's probably not true, but what if it is, perhaps I shouldn't eat any more, I will throw it out just to be on the safe side"

In withdrawal, food might look or smell strange or taste different, we might become more symptomatic while eating or after eating.  The DP/DR may cause us to feel disconnected from people who care about us, and so we might get the idea that they are imposters, masquerading as our loved ones, but really trying to hurt us.  All of these things can happen when our nervous system isn't working properly, as part of withdrawal, its just withdrawal symptoms. 

You will recover in time and things will start feeling normal again, but in the mean time, do what you can to stay calm and let your thoughts float by as they head back to where they came from, they're not real. If it seems like the thought has become stuck, then thank it for trying to help, but tell it its not needed and send it on its way.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Aww thanks a lot Petu, your advise really helps me. You are great.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is something to consider if you did want to try a small reinstatement.  You were getting these side effects from 10mg of prozac, by reinstating just 1mg-2mg, its less likely you would experience these side effects, but this small amount may be enough to stop the withdrawal symptoms.  Then you could give it several weeks to stabilize and then begin a slow, safe taper from this amount.

I would like to echo or emphasize Petunia's excellent advice about reinstatement. Given your lifelong history on these drugs, well, to be frank, this is a particularly challenging situation. You really do have to grow a new nervous system, one which is redesigned to function without the chemistry that it's used to and has formed itself around. That is much easier to do while tapering and slowly removing meds, than during the chaos that comes after a CT. 

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

I know I didn’t really taper off my Prozac, I basically just went off cold turkey. A few months ago, I didn’t know what I know now about tapering (this website has taught me alot). Nevertheless, do you all know how I can get better and back to enjoying life again to its maximum potential? Will I be stuck like this for months or even years? I’m really looking for answers because I’m tired of feeling like this.

CT is not the way to go with these drugs. The are highly brain altering chemicals and the brain needs time to heal and this occurs by tapering slowly else it will cause chaos in the brain ..to such an extent that we all run back to the doc to get answers dont worry ive done that too. But taking more drugs is not the way out of this mess. At 3 months off i would just hold and absorb the wdl as it comes in (if you can), like being at the beach it will arrive in waves at times. Just know it is wdl it wont hurt you and will pass in time. You do not get out of this by reaching out and swallowing something imo. (I am not a doctor however a doctor may see it differently). I think you can do it as i dont see extreme desperation in your language at this time. Wdl can be delayed and strangely 2 months often seems a common timeframe.

Recovery may take many months even years. However you are young and so will probably recover quickly. It will recede with time. Just be aware that over the  coming months you may get these waves of wdl. Dont panic. Its NOT YOU its the drug. And the brain is healing. 

nz11, Sometimes when it's three months after a CT, "hang in there and ride it out" is the best way to go, but in this situation with this particular person and his or her particular history, I would have to disagree with this advice.  In this situation the potential risks of not reinstating are higher than usual, so the risk/benefit ratio of reinstatement has a different proportion.

I don't want to go into full detail just here, it would be a bit overwhelming, but if you would like to discuss it further in PM I'd be glad to.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I just want to give an update to what's been going on with me. It's been 3 months and 14 days since I took my last dose of SSRI medication. I have been sick with the flu for the last 2 weeks but I am getting better. As far as my withdrawal goes the DP has got a lot better. I feel like I am in my body again however I have times were I feel like I'm on autopilot. Also I still have the internal anxiety. Like today I woke and jumped in the shower and I felt nervous. The nervousness is not debilitating but I definitely feel it. The other thing I'm dealing with is this fear of being poisoned or drugged. For instance, when I'm grocery shopping I'm very careful of picking out foods. I only buy things in wrapped packages. However I like foods that are not in wrapped packages like fresh produce. I have the idea in my mind that some sick person has come along and used a needle to inject some sort of substance in the fruit or vegetables. I know this sounds crazy I think like this but this is what's happening. I hate feeling like this. Do you think this is due to my SSRI withdrawal'? Is it possible for me to overcome this? I feel stuck. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The other thing I'm dealing with is this fear of being poisoned or drugged. For instance, when I'm grocery shopping I'm very careful of picking out foods. I only buy things in wrapped packages. However I like foods that are not in wrapped packages like fresh produce. I have the idea in my mind that some sick person has come along and used a needle to inject some sort of substance in the fruit or vegetables. I know this sounds crazy I think like this but this is what's happening. I hate feeling like this. Do you think this is due to my SSRI withdrawal'? Is it possible for me to overcome this? I feel stuck. 

Did you have thoughts like this before you started on psyche drugs?

Whether you did or didn't, it doesn't make any difference really, its still just a thought and can be dealt with just like other unhelpful thoughts. 

How likely is it that someone has poisoned a piece of fruit that you buy?  Do you have any evidence for it?  Have there been recent reports of this happening in your area lately?  If not, then you are safe to send that thought away and go ahead and buy the healthy produce, which is good for you, much better than processed, packaged foods.

...but in the mean time, do what you can to stay calm and let your thoughts float by as they head back to where they came from, they're not real. If it seems like the thought has become stuck, then thank it for trying to help, but tell it its not needed and send it on its way.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Daveguy , I'm sorry you're having a difficult time.

Lots of people on this site  (including me)  found that withdrawal symptoms increased in intensity for up to 9-12 months after stopping a/d's too quickly.   A cold or flu' like symptoms are a common early in withdrawal.   This is often followed by body aches and pains ,  heat waves and chills , and/or digestive/excretory problems.

At 3 1/2 months out , you're still early in the withdrawal process.   Please be aware that new symptoms will continue to emerge.

In solidarity ,    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks Petunia for the advice. You actually said the same thing my therapist said. I am going to consciously do this even though it takes a lot of effort. 

I hope I don't get any new symptoms. I've been feeling pretty good for the last week. My DP has has got better but I still feel like I'm on a slight autopilot. Is this a normal? Will this go away soon? I've made improvements so I believe it's only natural for this to improve as well.

Also I noticed at around 6pm in the evenings I start getting really tired. I goto bed at 12:30am and wake up at 10am and by 6 pm I start getting tired. This is strange because I've had enough hours of sleep but I still get tired. Is this common in wdl?

As with the neuro anxiety, I'm able to handle it. It's just really making it nerve racking to eat food because of the negative thinking about being drugged. I'm slowing getting through it. 

• Moderator Emeritus

My DP has has got better but I still feel like I'm on a slight autopilot. Is this a normal? Will this go away soon? I've made improvements so I believe it's only natural for this to improve as well.

Yes, this is fairly normal, all these symptoms seem to decrease in a windows and waves kind of pattern.  If you DP has reduced to feeling like you are on autopilot, then that's good, I'm sure it will continue to improve and go away completely in time.

Also I noticed at around 6pm in the evenings I start getting really tired. I goto bed at 12:30am and wake up at 10am and by 6 pm I start getting tired. This is strange because I've had enough hours of sleep but I still get tired. Is this common in wdl?

If you are feeling tired, then its a sign from your body it needs more rest, or a reduction in stimulation for a while.  Remember that your nervous system is hard at work healing itself, and so your needs for rest and sleep may be different from what they were previously.  Perhaps when you start to feel tired you could take a break from what you're doing and find a quiet place to rest, maybe do some meditation or relaxation exercises, take a short nap, or even just close your eyes for 10 minutes.  You might not need more sleep, but you may need to sleep or rest more often through the day.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Ohh alright. Thanks Petunia for the reassurance.

Hey I just want to give you all an update. Today has been a funny day for me. When I was driving to work, I got this spell of anxiety come over me. It went away but it left an after effect. Like I was nervous for the next hour because I was wondering is it going to come back. Luckily it didn't but later on in the day I felt like a surge of energy. This energy scared me because it felt like a little bit of mania but then it went away. I guess you would call this a mood swing. 

So in sum, today has been weird for me.  I hate having to take steps backwards but I know it's all for the better. 

Hey I have a question, I'm almost 4 months off of quitting Lexapro 10mg and I've been having these weird symptoms. I just want to get your opinion as to what's happening. 

For me I don't have any physical symptoms as they are all psychological. 

Like right now, I'm feeling internal nervousness, and an autopilot feeling. The other night I had a mini panic attack. Like out of the blue I felt spaced out then I could feel my heart beating fast. 

Another thing I have is I feel these moments of energy like the chemicals in my brain are coming back. When this happens it scares me because I feel manic. 

I want to ask the people here on this site does this sound like withdrawal?

I ask because I read the stories here and people talk about their physical symptoms. 

Since I don't have physical symptoms it makes me wonder if what I'm going through is actually SSRI withdrawal. 

What do you all think?

• Administrator

Dave, I moved your post here, where it will get more attention.

Those sound like withdrawal symptoms. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alto even the times where I feel the boost of energy? It feels like I become a little bit manic like my attention goes in 10 different ways, Im more talkative, etc. I go from having semi low mood to these energy periods. Does this still sound like withdrawal? Is this normal?

• Administrator

Yes, those kinds of surges are common. Some people find them uncomfortable.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Dave! Depression/Anxiety work like a pendulum in me. Depression= low mood, then swings to Anxiety= manic mood. I've never been bipolar or had mood swings or anxiety or depression before psyche meds for lower lumbar pain. What a rude awakening for me these neuro-emotions. For me, this is all WD because I never had any of these symptoms before.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I'm not Alto, but I, like everyone else, think it's withdrawal. I am different from you in that I have had to go off lots of drugs, but I have had that. I think you can manage it, if you wish, in non-pharmaceutical ways, regardless of the cause. I get a lot of help from Epsom salts baths, maybe just a placebo effect. 4 cups in the tub, 1/2 cup baking soda if desired, warm as tolerated water, 20 minutes or more.

Some people feel that kids who have behavior labeled as ADHD have a less robust microbiome in their guts and/or sensitivity to certain foods. You might want to check into gut health in the symptoms section. I have recently been reading Grajn Brain on this topic, but there are many sources of information on this topic.

Also, as you are relatively new here, you probably don't know that Rhi is one of the most experienced moderators here, if she says she thinks you need a small reinstatement, I would recommend dialoging with her about that before you make a final decision. I don't recommend doing what I did...blindly following my pdoc's advice and ending up on many meds. I have been tapering for almost three years and still not done. But thankful that I am doing okay.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Oh ok. This withdrawal just makes me think so many different thoughts sometimes I question myself and have thoughts like "what I'm going through is it even withdrawal, what happens if it's something else." These types of thoughts pop into my mind. 

Right now I feel just so nervous and anxious. The internal anxiety is so gripping! I'm gripped by it right now. It's right below the surface. I don't even know what to do other than wait it out. I'm almost 4 months of meds. I thought I'd be feeling better than this by now. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey  Dave ,  I'm so sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Everything you've described sounds like part of the w/d package , so is "normal" in that respect.

I think it's easier for people to talk about their physical symptoms , than about periods when we have been overcome by sheer panic.   Terror.  Absolute disbelief that is even actually happening!   And , what if I'm like this forever????

As you'll have noticed , these "waves" come , and then they finish.   They come , and go.   Try to remind yourself of this when you're in the middle of the fears.

Best wishes ,

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Has anyone heard of someone only having psychological symptoms but no physical symptoms?

• Administrator

Nervousness and anxiety are extremely common as withdrawal symptoms. Most people here have at least a passing familiarity with them!