Leeantics

Hello! Not sure if this is right place to post this but I have been on 10mg of Prozac for about 7 months (since July 2014) and although the I love what it has done for me, due to the side effects (extreme fatigue, heart palpitations, weight gain) I have started to taper off. I am usually sensitive to withdrawals symptoms as I experienced them all too well while getting off Cymbalta a few years back.

I have obtained the liquid version of Fluoxetine and started at 2.25ml today. Do you think it's best to stay at the "10 percent per month" or after the first month or two do you think I could try to speed it up a bit since I have been on this for a shorter period of time? The heart palpitations are becoming a problem but I want to experience as little withdrawals symptoms as possible. Any advice/experiences would be much appreciated!

2002-2010 - I was on a high dose of Effexor then cymbalta, weaned off the cymbalta using Zoloft but had major withdrawal symptoms I.e. Brain zaps, fatigue, confusion, feeling drunk all the time 

July 2014 -10mg of Prozac. Love it except for the side effects: heart palpitations, weight gain, extreme fatigue

Jan 22, 2015 - began 10 percent taper, currently on 9mg (2.25mL) of liquid fluoxetine 
           WD symptoms so far: extreme fatigue getting worse 

June 4, 2015 - currently at 5.3mg (1.2mL) 

WD symptoms: extreme agitation and irritability, restlessness, slight depression

I'm also tapering off Prozac, from 20 mg for about ten years to 4 mg now.

Recently switched to liquid so that's .94 mL.

Though you have not been on Prozac long, I would start tapering conservatively. After each drop wait

as long as it takes to be free of withdrawal symptoms, then drop a little more. Every body reacts

differently so you can measure your own reactions and adapt your taper accordingly.

That's what I've done. It's been a long haul but whenever I tried to hurry it  up,

I had a really hard time.

On 20 mg of Prozac for about ten years. Sept 2012 started reducing 10% a drop using gram scale, with average of one month holds.

When I'd reached the half way mark, taking 10 mg  powder out of the 20 mg capsules, I switched over to 10 mg capsules and cutting

down from those. Withdrawals got harder the lower I dropped.  May 2013 changed to 5% drops, holding until all withdrawal symptoms gone.

January 2015 changed to liquid prozac (concentration of 20MG per 5 mL) using a 1mL oral syringe.

Current dose of fluoxetine solution equivalent 3.4 mg. Any effort to drop below this has been disastrous so for the time being I'm staying at this level.
Adding 200 mg Tryptophan and 200 GABA a day has helped with anxiety.
Also take 1,300mg Omega- 3,  875mg  Magnesium, 1800mg Curcumin, 1000mg Vit C, 5000 Vit D.

That's what I figured. Getting off Cymbalta was a nightmare because I did it fairly quickly. Thank you!!!

2002-2010 - I was on a high dose of Effexor then cymbalta, weaned off the cymbalta using Zoloft but had major withdrawal symptoms I.e. Brain zaps, fatigue, confusion, feeling drunk all the time 

July 2014 -10mg of Prozac. Love it except for the side effects: heart palpitations, weight gain, extreme fatigue

Jan 22, 2015 - began 10 percent taper, currently on 9mg (2.25mL) of liquid fluoxetine 

WD symptoms: extreme agitation and irritability, restlessness, slight depression

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Leeantics, welcome to SA.  You need to taper slowly after being on prozac for 7 months, some who have 

been on it for only a few weeks have had problems tapering! 

We recommend tapering 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, to allow the brain to adjust between drops. 

Here is our topic for tapering prozac. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Why taper 10% http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Most important the  3 KIS ( I call this the 3 kisses, it is such a good post. ) http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

It would help us if you can put your drug and tapering history in your signature strip, include any prescription

or over the counter stuff that is taken regularly, including supplements, here is how to do that. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

If I remember correctly, Prozac has a longer half life so many pdocs use it to assist someone tapering, claiming that the longer half life helps to ease any withdrawal symptoms.  I had to quit cold turkey after taking it for about two months because it gave me serotonin syndrome.  It's hard to tell if I had any WD because I was also taking other medications.  

Best of healing to you!

Past: Started on 30 mg of celexa in 2003 with lorazepam for sleep, switched to clonazepam in 2007

Last few years were spent cartwheeling around with various AD cocktails and multiple ER visits

Current:  5 mg celexa, .5 mg clonazepam, 1 mg melatonin for sleep 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Leeantics.    Glad you found your way here.

All the evidence on this site suggests that    NO , you should not speed up your w/d towards the end.   Let your body get used to each decreased dose.

Although 7 months may sound like a short time , your CNS is just as involved as if you'd have taken it for 7 years.

Slowly , slowly . . . breathe as deeply as you can.   

; )     Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi! I'm in a similar situation now, only I've been on it for 4 years now, I went on it when I was 14-15. 

I made the big mistake of stopping cold turkey about 5 weeks ago (around December 15th or so) and because of that have had HORRIBLE withdrawal symptoms. I went back on my 10mg yesterday, and am going to taper off slowly - 10% every 4-6 weeks or so - depending on the symptoms I feel. Good luck!

Sorry if this is long, but I don't know what else to turn to. 

I was seeing as psychiatrist when I was 14-15,  I'm now 19. She put me on Prozac which I started at 10mg, then went up to 20mg, then 30. I only did 30 for a few weeks, then went down to 20, and was on 10 for the last 2 years or so.

I haven't seen a psychiatrist in years as she was horrible. Instead, my family doctor, whose also not the greatest (also says I need to stay on meds for life as my brain 'needs' it) prescribes the same 10mg every time so that's what I've been on.  However, I've recently come to the conclusion that I don't want to depend on medication, and on around December 15 2014 (can't remember the exact date), I decided to stop taking medication, without consulting my doctor. Seeing as it was only 10mg, I didn't think it would make much difference. I also cut off caffeine a couple of weeks after I stopped my medication as I heard it can worsen anxiety.

Since then, about 2-3 weeks after stopping my Prozac, I began to have horrible headaches everyday, panic attacks, and waking up throughout the night and not falling asleep due to anxous thoughts. The headaches cause my anxiety attacks as I worry they (the headaches) won't disappear seeing as I've had them for nearly 3 weeks. Before taking Prozac, I never had issues with this. I had MILD anxiety, but the reason I went on Prozac to begin with was only for depression. 

I'm not sure how to handle this withdrawl right now as it's turning out to be one the lowest points in my life. I'm scared, and not sure what to do anymore. I'm on a waiting list for a psychiatrist as my old one was a child and youth psychiatrist. January 22: Began taking Natural Calm magnesium 

January 23 - Reinstated back onto the 10mg of Prozac 

Thanks everyone! These types of forums are always a huge help!

So I'm nervous that im reading the syringe wrong and have been taking around 2ml instead of 2.25 ml which would mean I dropped 20 percent for the last week or so. I'm nervous im going to start feeling withdrawals worse than intended.

Should I take a full dose one day to bridge the gap? How do I know if I'm reading the syringe correctly? I'm confused at where to match up the inside part with the dosage marker. ????

• Moderator Emeritus

See if there's an answer to your syringe question here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-using-an-oral-syringe-and-other-tapering-techniques/

Or maybe you could take it to the pharmacy and ask them.  

I don't fully understand your question, and I don't think "in writing in a forum" is going to be the most efficient way to get it answered, seems like a "hands-on demonstration" kind of thing to me.

I can relate to your panic, though! it sounds like you've had some experience with AD withdrawal in the past. That makes us all pretty gunshy.

I wouldn't take a full dose just one day; we find that bouncing up and down on doses seems to actually aggravate withdrawal rather than help it. If you can't get your syringe and dosing questions answered soon enough, I'd just pick a dose and stick with it, same dose same time every day, maybe something a little higher than what you've been doing if you think what you've been doing might be too much of a cut. (But people can often do okay with larger cuts right at first in a taper while they're still on the higher doses. It gets trickier down below 5 mg or so.)

Also, please fill in your sig line when you get a chance; you mention having taken Cymbalta in the past. Past history of med use has a big effect on how things go down the road, so that's information that's really helpful to anyone who's going to give advice, so it's really helpful for us to have it all there in one place where we can see it.

Good luck, hopefully you'll get this straightened out and be back on track in no time.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Administrator

Welcome, Leeantics.

If I were you, I'd take the syringe and the bottle to a pharmacist and find out how much to take for 10mg. Ask the pharmacist to show you on the syringe.

If you have been taking 8mg by mistake, I would go up to 9mg for your next dose.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just wanted to update you!! I've been on 2.25mg for about a month now and about to start my next taper. I Haven't noticed many withdrawal symptoms other than the past few days the extreme fatigue has become worse. I'm afraid this will get worse throughout the taper process and it is already quite debilitating. Eeek!!

(Couldn't find the signature feature on the mobile site so here is my history)

2002-2010 - I tried multiple anti depressants and eventually was on Effexor then cymbalta, weaned off the cymbalta using Zoloft but had major withdrawal symptoms I.e. Brain zaps, fatigue, confusion, feeling drunk all the time

July 2014 - began 10mg of Prozac. Love it except for the side effects: heart palpitations, weight gain, extreme fatigue

Jan 22, 2015 - began 10 percent taper, currently on 2.25ml liquid Prozac

wd symptoms so far: extreme fatigue getting worse

• Moderator Emeritus

Maybe when you get a chance on a computer, you can put that info into a sig line. The sig line follows you whenever you post, so we don't have to scroll around in your thread and try to find where you posted your history. But for now that's great, thanks for putting that there.

You say that you've just started to have a new symptom of extreme fatigue? You might want to postpone a further cut and see if it passes. It's usually not a good idea to make another cut while you're still having withdrawal symptoms.

Then again, you could try a small cut and see if the fatigue improves, because it could be that you've adapted to the lower dose and you're back to having the fatigue as a side effect of the drug like you always have. I think that's what I would do, go ahead with a small cut and see what happens. If the fatigue doesn't clear up then I would hold the new dose for as long as it takes.

Hopefully as your doses get lower, those side effects will decrease. They usually do.

Also, if you could describe your dosage in terms of milligrams (of the actual drug ,which you started at 10 mg) rather than the mL you are taking in the syringe (which it sounds like right now is 2.25 mL), that would be less confusing. Mg and mL are not the same thing and mean something different and unless I know your dilution (how many mg of drug there are in 1 mL of the solution) I don't know what the 2.25 means, it could mean any amount of actual drug. Thanks! :-)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

Ahh yes, sorry! 10mg = 2.5mL so I have been on 9 mg (2.25mL) the past month. I have always had extreme fatigue which is one of the main reasons for trying to get off the Prozac but yes, it seems as though it has become worse the past few days. I will probably start on 8.1mg (2.025mL) on my 4 week mark, tomorrow, Feb 20. I've dealt with the fatigue thus far I guess I will see what happens (though I shouldn't be drinking much coffee because of the heart palpitations the medicine is giving me to begin with!).

It's very hard to patient with the taper when all you want are your original side effects to go away but knowing the withdrawals I suffered through cymbalta, I know how they can get. In hindsight, I guess i dealt with it OK considering it only took a few months but probably should have taken years, I had no idea what I was getting myself into!

• Moderator Emeritus

None of us knew what we were getting ourselves into!

Just listen to your body. I know it's hard to be patient but it's important.

Good luck

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Yay, exciting, keep us posted how it goes after this new cut! I think you're going to do great.

• 3 months later...

Hey guys, just wanted to check in!  I started my taper from 10mg back in January and I am now down to 5.3mg. A lot is going on in my life that I should be happy about but all I'm feeling is extreme irritability, agitation and anxiety. I know this is my body getting used to the lack of medicine but I hope that it doesn't last like this for the rest of the taper! It almost makes me want to go cold turkey just to feel crappy for a few weeks and then be done with it. My boyfriend and I were long distance for a long time and he finally moved to where I am and I honestly couldn't be happier with him but all I am is angry and irritable all the time and it's affecting us. Ugh I hope this ends soon!!! The only med that ever worked for me was Wellbutrin but I got hives from it. Ive been reading a lot about other people experiencing the same thing and getting through it. This almost makes me want to take the risk again!

• Administrator

Leeantics, you may wish to hold on your taper for a while, to give your nervous system a chance to settle down. This is a normal part of the process. Please don't rush it.

Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.