SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Amygdala: Seriously afraid to come off ADs, Z drug, and Benzo

Amygdala

Hello everyone I'm glad I found this site even if I am unable to stop using my meds due to illness and seizures. I still need all the information I can get.

I have COPD and a seizure disorder both of which greatly complicate trying to stop any of my meds. I am afraid that I will suffer a seizure and stop breathing and possibly die if I suffer any serious withdrawal effects. That is why I took so long reducing my Zopiclone (1 year taper) and Trazodone (8 month taper) and I cannot bring myself to even consider stopping them.

Trazodone should be relatively easy to stop but I have found this not to be true in my case. When I tried to cut the dosage lower I started to feel very sick and I could also feel a seizure coming on, so I quickly went back up 50 mg from 12.5. But at least I am stable at the reduced dosage (150mg down to 50mg).

I cannot even imagine cutting down on Cymbalta without it causing serious health issues.

I will be getting a CT in 3 weeks to check for brian damage from using theses meds and these results will change how I go about any of this.

I know I didn't cover everything here but sometimes my brain does not work well and I can't think properly.

So what things do I need to know or tell you about to discuss my issues?

Amygdala :D

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Ativan - 3-5 mg (3mg tablets, 2 mg sub-lingual)
* Zopiclone - 7.5 mg (down from 15 mg)
* Trazodone - 25 mg (down from150 mg)
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Administrator

Welcome, Amygdala.

Why do you wish to come off these drugs? Why did you choose trazodone first? Are you taking any seizure drugs?

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and post the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I wish to come off these drugs due to the many unpleasant side effects. They have been slowly getting worse for a long time now. I feel sick, have tremors, night sweats, insomnia, brain fog, confusion, cognitive problems, poor memory and more.

I believe Tegretol is an anti-seizure drug, plus Ativan stops seizures.

Here is the drugs.com interaction list:

trazodone ↔ duloxetine (serious interaction)

Applies to: trazodone, Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using traZODone together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

All following interaction are considered Moderate

risperidone ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Risperdal (risperidone), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

DULoxetine may increase the blood levels and effects of risperiDONE. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

lorazepam ↔ risperidone

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Risperdal (risperidone)

Using LORazepam together with risperiDONE may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

trazodone ↔ risperidone

Applies to: trazodone, Risperdal (risperidone)

Using traZODone together with risperiDONE can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

baclofen ↔ risperidone

Applies to: baclofen, Risperdal (risperidone)

Using baclofen together with risperiDONE may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

propranolol ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

DULoxetine may increase the blood levels and effects of propranolol. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. Contact your doctor if your condition changes or you experience increased side effects. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

carbamazepine ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Tegretol (carbamazepine), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using carBAMazepine together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

lorazepam ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using LORazepam together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

baclofen ↔ duloxetine

Applies to: baclofen, Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using baclofen together with DULoxetine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

carbamazepine ↔ risperidone

Applies to: Tegretol (carbamazepine), Risperdal (risperidone)

Using carBAMazepine together with risperiDONE may make risperiDONE less effective. You may need dose adjustments or special tests in order to safely take both medications together. Your response to risperiDONE and risperiDONE levels may need to be measured whenever carBAMazepine is added to or removed from therapy. It is important that you tell your healthcare provider about all other medications that you are using including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using your medications without first talking to your doctor first.

propranolol ↔ risperidone

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol), Risperdal (risperidone)

RisperiDONE and propranolol may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

carbamazepine ↔ lorazepam

Applies to: Tegretol (carbamazepine), Ativan (lorazepam)

Using carBAMazepine together with LORazepam may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

propranolol ↔ trazodone

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol), trazodone

Propranolol and traZODone may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

carbamazepine ↔ trazodone

Applies to: Tegretol (carbamazepine), trazodone

Using traZODone together with carBAMazepine can alter the blood levels and effects of both medications. Specifically, traZODone levels may decrease, which may make the medication less effective. At the same time, carBAMazepine levels may increase, so you may be more likely to experience side effects such as headache, dizziness, nausea, slurred speech, vision problems, tremors, and incoordination. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

lorazepam ↔ trazodone

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), trazodone

Using LORazepam together with traZODone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

propranolol ↔ baclofen

Applies to: Inderal (propranolol), baclofen

Propranolol and baclofen may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

carbamazepine ↔ baclofen

Applies to: Tegretol (carbamazepine), baclofen

Using carBAMazepine together with baclofen may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

lorazepam ↔ baclofen

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), baclofen

Using LORazepam together with baclofen may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

trazodone ↔ baclofen

Applies to: trazodone, baclofen

Using traZODone together with baclofen may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Administrator

It's appalling that your doctors put you on all those drugs without checking the interactions. And there was zopiclone, too!

Is one doctor responsible for most of these drugs?

Why was propranolol added? Why are you taking risperdone with Cymbalta and trazodone?

It's unlikely a brain scan will show the drug effects; however, your physiology is showing the adverse effects.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Three doctors placed me on various drugs (PCP, psychiatrist and neuroligist)

Propanolol was prescribed for tremors. I was shaking so bad that I could barely walk or feed myself. This drug completely stopped the tremors.

Risperidone - For hearing voices and thinking someone was trying to kill me.

Cymbalta - For fibromyalgia like pains and nerve pain.

Trazodone - To help me sleep.

I was only sleeping 2-3 hours a day even with 15mg of Zopiclone. Trazodone was added and I started getting about 4-5 hours.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amygdala ,   welcome to SA.    What a lot of medications with significant interactions. Goodness gracious , not surprising you don't feel well.

It's very complex and I don't have anything specific to add , but wanted to say HI.

Re:  "hearing voices and thinking someone was trying to kill me" , do you also have schizophrenia?

I'm sure more experienced people will be able to offer something constructive

Keep checking in , best wishes ,    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hello Fresh. I was not diagnosed with schizophrenia that I know of but your question does make me wonder. I have a new PCP I think it would be wise for me to ask her what her notes show my diagnoses are. I'm sure there are things that will surprise me.

I no longer see  the psychiatrist who originally diagnosed me.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Administrator

Amygdala, can you list your drugs in the order in which they were prescribed for you?

Amygdala, can you list your drugs in the order in which they were prescribed for you?

No, I would just be guessing. My memory is really bad from the time period when they were prescribed.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Administrator

At what point was propanolol prescribed? What drugs were you taking at the time?

Which of your three doctors seems most intelligent and responsible?

I'm not sure how long I have been taking Inderal but I do remember it being the last one to be prescribed.

My new PCP seems to be the best doctor so far. She did not precribe any of my meds, she is currently doing a review of my records.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like that's a good move.  Btw , re: schizophrenia ,  I didn't realize that respiradone was used for other conditions as well.    In the section here called

"In The Media"  there's a thread for Dr Yolande Lucire.   In the video posted there she explains how antidepressants can make someone hear voices and develop delusional systems.

; )    Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Whenever I have a coughing induced seizure (I remain conscious & aware) I am gripped with the certainty that I will die soon and given the state of my health it also quite likely to be true. The last time I was in the hospital I was told that I would probably be dead before I reach 55, which is about 10.5 months away. So I wonder if I should even bother trying to stop any medications. Why go through the suffering of withdrawal if that withdrawal will last right up until the time I die?

I am suffering now from medication side effects but at least I know generally what to expect.

However, there is of course the possibility that I could live another 5 years (or longer) but this just adds to my confusion.

I really don't know how I should proceed. Maybe I should get more meds to hide the side effects of my current ones? But then what happens if I do live longer? Will i be even sicker than I am now from my meds? I feel as if I have no options except to flip a coin. Heads I stop the meds, tails I get more?

I hope someone can give me some advice or just your thoughts.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi amygdala,

Perhaps you could aim to reduce the dose of some of your drugs, to reduce the side effects.  Maybe you would start to feel a little better if you were able to reduce the dose of one of the drugs causing a major interaction.  I'm sorry you are in this situation, I don't know what else to suggest.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Hi Petunia, the meds with a major interaction are Cymbalta and Trazodone. I have cut back on the Trazodone from 150 to 50mg and it will time for another cut soon. I have also stopped Crestor, Actonel and Symbicort. After stopping Trazodone the next on the list will be Zopiclone and pantoprazole. I am also trying to limit my use of Tyelenol and Ibuprofen. I am leaving the "difficult to stop" meds until I can determine if they might prove to much of a hazard for me to stop. If I do decide to stop another med it would most likely be Cymbalta first and I expect it to take quite along time.

What really upsets me about this is I was sent to phsyciatrist when I was very physically ill and I did not have the presence of mind to question why I was being put on an AD when I just physically sick. The ADs really messed me up so of course they were followed up up with more meds, one after another. 13 years of hell because of 2 ignorant doctors!

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

I've recently been having symptoms that seem a bit akin to mild serotonin syndrome. From reading your symptoms, sickness, tremors, sweats, insomnia, confusion, etc - it sounds like you also experienced serotonin syndrome, and instead of dealing with that the doctors gave you propanolol. - Be aware that I'm not a doctor and I'm only speaking from my own experience and from what I've been reading online... 

But again, from what I've been reading online, taking two antidepressants at the same time seems to be a very no-no thing to do, so I'll second altostrata and say that it sounds like whoever has been putting you on these meds are quite incompetent. 

I also question that if you're having such a hard time sleeping, why noone thought to put in a melatonin supplement. Melatonin is very mild compared to most drugs, with a very low side effect profile. 3-5 hours of sleep really is not enough to properly function, it puts a serious amount of stress on your body which is already stressed out due to the amount of drugs you're taking. - I've only really been able to sleep myself due to taking 4 mg of melatonin whilst experiencing this serotonin syndrome-like thing that I went through (not diagnosed as serotonin syndrome, but had all the symptoms for it)

On the whole - should or shouldn't I withdraw - well I'd probably take that up with your doctor, or a doctor that is somewhat competent - seizures really isn't a funny thing to experience is what i've heard, and whatever has a chance of killing you off, well that would be a shame now wouldn't it? 

Edit: I also just now read on wikipedia that trazodone can increase seizures in people who are taking anti seizure medication... I just wanted to add that in there since noone has mentioned this in this thread. 

Have been on psyc drugs for years, too many to include in this signature.

Currently on 475 mg lyrica, 37.5 mg venlafaxine 50mg seroquel, 2mg melatonin.

1-2.5 litres chamomile, only thing that seems to help with all of this.

Multivitamin and vitamin D prescribed by doctor for not going out in the sun enough. 

Martin thank you, your words have cemented in mind that I should quit Trazodone first. Which is good because I've already being working on tapering it down. Also it seems to hae fewer and eaiser withdrawal effects than my other meds, so no matter what It is a good starting point.

I agree that trying to stop Risperidone, Ativan, Tegretol and Cymbalta could be life threating due to my current medical conditon. My doctor has hinted that I will never be able to come off of them and my wife is worried I would die trying. So, If anything I will just try some minor cut-backs to see if that improves how I feel (fingers crossed). Of couse i would not attempt this until I am free and clear of Trazodone for a few months.

Thank you very much for your input it is greatly appreciated!

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Petunia, the meds with a major interaction are Cymbalta and Trazodone. I have cut back on the Trazodone from 150 to 50mg and it will time for another cut soon. I have also stopped Crestor, Actonel and Symbicort. After stopping Trazodone the next on the list will be Zopiclone and pantoprazole. I am also trying to limit my use of Tyelenol and Ibuprofen. I am leaving the "difficult to stop" meds until I can determine if they might prove to much of a hazard for me to stop. If I do decide to stop another med it would most likely be Cymbalta first and I expect it to take quite along time.

What really upsets me about this is I was sent to phsyciatrist when I was very physically ill and I did not have the presence of mind to question why I was being put on an AD when I just physically sick. The ADs really messed me up so of course they were followed up up with more meds, one after another. 13 years of hell because of 2 ignorant doctors!

Amygdala, that's a big cut on the Trazodone, I don't think you should cut any more for a while unless it's been a couple of years since you made that cut.

You might consider the idea of "getting to the lowest possible dose of the fewest possible meds" rather than the "getting off drugs" paradigm.

And when you make reductions, please do so very slowly. You're concerned about what will happen as you reduce your meds; the safest way to find out is to reduce by very small increments, 10% of your current dose or less, and wait a month or two between those small reductions. That way if there's a problem it will be easy to correct it before things spiral out of control.

I really think you can safely reduce your doses quite a bit. These drugs are effective at much smaller doses than what the drug companies tell the doctors. And we're all different as far as how much effect and what kind of effect we get--the nervous system and brain are incredibly complex and poorly understood and there's a huge amount of variation from one person to the next.

So I think it would be a really reasonable plan and goal to try reducing one of your meds by a very small amount, 5% or 10%, and just see what happens, and then take it from there. It is really possible even at advanced age (I was 55 when I started) to slowly dial down the dosages, and for me anyway that process has brought more improvement than I ever expected.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi RHI, I had no problems with 100mg Tazodone cut but any further attempts were met with many side effects so as you suggested I was on a holding pattern for a few months and now I use them PRN which ends up about 2-3 times per week. The Zopiclone I rarely use now but will have some hand "just in case".

I guess the next reduction will be cutting back the PRN Ativan which I now use 2-3 times per day. So I guess the first step will be to cut down to 2mg PRN for a few months (hopefully less). I the think the benzo is affecting me worse than anything or is maybe tied with Risperdal.

Cymbalta I take for chronic pain so hopefully not too much pain will return. 6 years of chronic pain was devastating to my mental health, now 7 years later I have become so used to reduced pain levels I can't imagine going backward, it would be terrible. However there is also the chance my first cut will produce no noticeable side effects (wouldn't that be nice!).

RHI, thank you very much for your very informational post, it always helps to have anothers opinion to the depth you provided.

Have a great day!

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amigdala .     

I think you'll find many people on this site who've been on ad's a long time have also been diagnosed as having COPD.

You've written that you were put on cymbalta for "chronic pain" , "fibromyalgia type pain and nerve pain".

Is it possible to add some dates to your signature?

I can't help wondering if your pain came AFTER you had started ad's / trazodone?    It's not uncommon in w/d to be gripped by the feeling we're about to die.   Withdrawal can also cause a wide range of muscle and nerve pain.

Can you give any more detail about your seizure disorder?

I'm curious about what experiences or symptoms you were having that led you to start taking medications in the first place.

Just wanting to help ,    

Fresh

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

It could prove quite difficult to come up with any dates as my memory is terrible regarding times and dates and I know no longer see the doctor that prescribed them. All I know is Trazodone was the last one added, it was added as sleep agent but it also further reduced my aches and pains.

I have suffered from severe joint pain due arthrits and injuries for many years before starting my current drug regimen. But the pain was well hidden by the massive amount of alcohol I used to consume (I no longer drink). So none of my meds have caused me any additional pain. At least not until I stopped the Trazodone for short period.

My first seizure was in 1984 I think, when I abscently minded combined a medication (not sure what) and drinking. Ever since I have suffered many seizures some with no triggers but most triggered by alcohol or drugs. This included the meds I am on now, at least until the seizures were controlled with more meds.

When I was forced to quit driking because it was killing me I was in extremely bad shape and could not think straight (I could barely think at all). There was something seriously physically wrong with me. My doctor at the time ran a few tests and found nothing wrong so he sent me to a physciatrist who promptly said "It's depression" and he started madly prescribing away. The meds eventually became a serious problem due side effects and polypharmacy. I was still so sick physically that I did not even have the prescence of mind to question what I was being given, I just blindly took my meds. So actually I had no sign of mental illnesses to start with and now the meds for same have taken over my life. All because of an undiagnosed physical illness related to drinking.

I dispise the medical and pharmaceutical industries now and even cannot trust a GP, although my current PCP is young and at least listens to what I say.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh my, I have many questions.

So you didn't have ANY seizure disorder before taking the drugs?  And it was antidepressants that started your seizures?

Please, listen to what Rhi is saying:

And when you make reductions, please do so very slowly. You're concerned about what will happen as you reduce your meds; the safest way to find out is to reduce by very small increments, 10% of your current dose or less, and wait a month or two between those small reductions. That way if there's a problem it will be easy to correct it before things spiral out of control.
I know that you said:        Hi RHI, I had no problems with 100mg Tazodone cut but any further attempts were met with many side effects so as you suggested I was on a holding pattern for a few months and now I use them PRN which ends up about 2-3 times per week. 

But you don't know that it is "No problems" until it's been 6 months to a year out from the taper.  Really,  this is the most important thing I can share with you - the small, tiny, slow tapers of 5-10% preserve your brain, your life, your sanity, and your hope much better than gigantic cuts which might end up with you in hospital!

Please, don't taper anymore until you have been - Rhi suggested 2 years - I would say at least 6 months - on this new, gigantic tapered dose.

Please read here as to why we do this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

also, the 3 laws of SA:  Keep it Slow, keep it simple, keep it stable:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

And here is a piece which Rhi herself wrote, that most of us feel describes how withdrawal happens, and how the brain heals.  These drugs are NOT like aspirin, and they have been treated as such in your case.  It is important - vitally important - that you stop treating them like aspirin.  They don't work that way:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/?p=88441

Welcome to SA!  I don't know where else you could get support for what you want here.  And while NONE of us have been on all the drugs you have - each of us has been on some of them, so we can help with our different areas of knowledge.

Thank you for sharing your story here, I hope you can find some help here.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

So you didn't have ANY seizure disorder before taking the drugs?  And it was antidepressants that started your seizures?

As I stated above it was an unknown medication and alcohol that started my seizures.

I'm sorry if I make mistakes or contradict myself, due to medication side effects it very difficult for me to even follow my own story and ensure it makes sense.

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• Moderator Emeritus

No need to apologize  at all , and thanks for your patience with all the questions.

I was able to get pharmacy printouts for the past 15 years , which helped enormously in trying to make sense of what was happening when.   If you've used a few  regular places to get scripts filled , it's worth doing.

The only way forward from here is to make the most informed , safest decisions you can possibly make.  The moderators here have seen hundreds , if not thousands , with similar problems , and err on the side of caution.  I think you can trust the advice you're receiving.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

When was it you were "hearing voices and thinking someone was trying to kill me"?

I do not have the slightest doubt that adverse effects and drug-drug interactions are adding to your misery. From your list of drug interactions, it looks like Cymbalta and risperidone are prime suspects.

You need to have a very serious talk with your PCP about minimizing your drugs.

I suspect the anti-seizure drugs are more central to your treatment than the others. You can taper Cymbalta by opening the capsule and taking out beads. This would be a way for you to very gradually reduce your drug burden at least risk.

See Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

I think I started hearing the voices about 2 years ago but I just lived with them for about a year before I mentioned it to my doc. She increased my risperidone and the voices, etc. stopped.

I will be talking to my doc at the beginning of April, after the results of my cranial CT are in. If there is any brain damage it will change how we proceed from there (I guess).

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page

• 1 month later...

I tried to follow doctors orders the following is what occurred:

This began from a recommendation by my Dr. to stop taking Zopiclone. I am unaware of the actual time periods this occurred over because the effects were so profound so times below are estimates.

• Started by taking half doses (3.75 mg) of Zopiclone daily.
• Within 2 days I began to feel drastic withdrawal effects.
•  On the third night I began to experience the onset of what appeared to psychosis which turned into a rapid onset severe psychosis within 3 hours of taking my nightly trazodone (50 mg). This was accompanied by severe akathisia, ataxia, tremors, severe confusion, no awareness of time, and multiple, prolonged periods of sleep.
• This happened 2 nights in a row. I took 3 mg of Ativan to ease the effects of mania both nights, it did help greatly.
• Skipped next dose of Trazodone and took regular dose of Zopiclone (7.5 mg) the event did not reoccur, I still felt very sick but in control of my facilities.
• Skipped another nights Trazodone and was feeling a little better.
• Night 3 I accidentally  took a Trazodone and the psychotic event repeated. Again 3 mg of Ativan to calm down.
• Skipped 2 more nights of Trazodone and began to feel withdrawal effects.
• Following morning I took 1/4 (12.5 mg) of Trazodone to stop withdrawal effects.
• Currently taking 7.5 mg Zopiclone (daily), 12.50 mg of Trazodone twice daily, and 3-5 mg Ativan (normal amount).
• Still having problems at night but nowhere near psychosis level that previously occurred. Still feeling sick constantly, like I have been for the last 12-13 years.
• It seems that since I have cut down on my smoking I feel the effects of my meds a lot more, hence more side effects.

NOTE: Since recording the above I am no longer taking Trazodone and am feeling much better and sleeping better.  (08-Apr-2015 5:51 PM)

Cymbalta - 90 mg
Risperidone - 5 mg
Tegretol - 900 mg
Baclofen - 30 mg
Inderal - 40 mg

My Introduction Page