SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

baroquep

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, After reading many many posts, I'm more confused than ever ... I just obtained a prescription to have Pristiq compounded and reduced by 10% of current dose each month in hopes of getting off this beast.  After reading some of the posts, it appears that it may not be a good idea to compound this drug because of the extended release properties of the 50mg pill.  Is there anyone on this site that has had success tapering off of this drug using a compound pharmacy to do a 10% taper per month?  I"m now nervous to get the prescription filled after reading some of the posts.  

I contacted the compound pharmacy (Guardian Drugs in Toronto, Canada) and they have the same reservations about crushing the extended release tablets as they tell me, that while they can do it, they don't know exactly how the compounded drug with react in my system.  In compounding it, the drug will most likely be weaker (by exactly how much they can't say with any accuracy) and therefore she cannot say with any certainty whether or not it will cause withdrawal symptoms which I am desperate to avoid.  Tried to taper off about five years ago (second or third try) by cutting the pill and reducing it gradually and had such bad withdrawal symptoms, I thought I was going to go mad so back on the stupid drug I went.  

The compounding pharmacy offered to call my family doctor and suggest to her that I switch to Effexor (75mg) which she said is equivalent to 50mg of Pristiq.  She said that Effexor is much easier to come off of and much easier to compound.  She said it didn't sound like my family doctor has much experience with coming off antidepressants (don't think my doctor is alone on this point).  She also suggested reducing the Effexor by 5% each month rather than 10% to help avoid withdrawal altogether.  She said it is better to taper very gradually and to take as long as possible to get off these drugs.  Even a year or more sounded reasonable to her.

So I guess my questions are

(1) is it feasible/best approach to switch to Effexor to taper or am I just switching to a different beast even more difficult to get off of?

(2) should I just get the Pristiq compounded and hope for the best ... ?  
(3) better suggestions/experience than the above two points?

I would really like to get off of Pristiq, have been on anti-depressants far too long and never able to get off of them properly because of the horrific withdrawal symptoms so basically I've been held hostage by a little pill and would like my life back.  Tired of feeling flat and not having any real emotions and don't want to Stepford Wife/Walking Dead it anymore.  I've been taking 50mg of Pristiq for about 7 years and prior to that was on Effexor extended release 37.5 x 2 for about the same amount of time.  

Any suggestions from people with experience getting off these drugs would be most welcomed and appreciated.  Thank you for reading.

Edited by JanCarol
tags added

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Baroquep and welcome to SA,

I don't know much about Pristiq except that it is very hard to taper.

I did however remember a member who successfully tapered. here is the link: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6695-mogfish-successful-taper-directly-off-pristiq-using-cutting-up-method/

In case you still haven't looked into opur topic on tapering Pristiq the link is here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

Also when you find the time, it would be good to have your drug history in your signature: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I hope this helps as a start.

Once again welcome.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome from me too Baroquep,

The second link that Bubble posted should answer your questions, unfortunately pristiq is a difficult drug to taper off, and there aren't as many options as with other drugs.  Thank you for filling out your signature.  Please let us know what you decide to do.  You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Administrator

Welcome, baroquep.

Please give our topic on tapering Pristiq a good read: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/876-tips-for-tapering-off-pristiq-desvenlafaxine/

There are people who do fine tapering by cutting up the Pristiq tablet. This also destroys the time-release quality, so it's about the same as your compounded method but much less exact.

In your body, powdered Pristiq is very similar to regular immediate-release Effexor -- which is taken twice a day. If you have access to the compounded formulation, if I were you, I'd give a 10% reduction a try, in divided doses.

To do this, you may wish to have your dose compounded to take twice a day. If you are taking 50mg Pristiq, for example, you have 60 capsules compounded for a month. Each capsule would be 1/2 of 45mg (a 10% reduction of 50mg) or 22.5mg. You would take two capsules per day, once in the morning, and once in the evening.

If this does not work, you may wish to switch to Effexor XR and use the bead-counting method. Regular Effexor probably wouldn't be an advantage over the compounded Pristiq.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Baroquep ,  welcome.

I had cymbalta  compounded for a while to taper off , and found it very expensive.   If there's a way to do it yourself it's a lot cheaper , and you have the option of tapering as it suits your body , rather than deciding now what you want to take for the next month.

You can buy digital jewellers' scales on ebay for around $15:00  , and they can weigh down to 0.1 of a gram.

Just a thought.  Good to have you here ,     Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

My compounding chemist claims (I am not a scientist, nor do I play one on the internet) to be able to MAKE a formula time released, by using certain buffers.  

I cannot ask him what that is, or whether that would work for compounding Pristiq, but he did it for my Thyroid formula.  Ask your chemist if they can buffer it to slow release.

If not, you may have to, as Alto says, just treat it like "regular release" and take it 2x a day.  Pay attention if you do, because I would find it difficult to take any SSRI in the evening. 

And welcome to SA!  I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

The compounding pharmacy offered to call my family doctor and suggest to her that I switch to Effexor (75mg) which she said is equivalent to 50mg of Pristiq.  She said that Effexor is much easier to come off of and much easier to compound.  She said it didn't sound like my family doctor has much experience with coming off antidepressants (don't think my doctor is alone on this point).  She also suggested reducing the Effexor by 5% each month rather than 10% to help avoid withdrawal altogether.  She said it is better to taper very gradually and to take as long as possible to get off these drugs.  Even a year or more sounded reasonable to her.

Wow! that pharmacist sounds sensible and well informed! Amazing, and nice to hear.

The thread on tapering Pristiq I think covers most or all of the questions you've asked, including about changing to Effexor, which I think is something some people do.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for your responses, they are very much appreciated.  I might be overthinking everything because I am so nervous about coming off of this medication as previous attempts were so horrific.  At this time, I'm trying to collect as much information as I can, to make the best decision possible and to hopefully have a smooth"ish" transition.  Have decided to give the compounding pharmacist's idea a try and see if the buffer they plan to add to the compounded Pristiq will do the trick.  If withdrawal symptoms appear, I'll have to start over again and try twice a day dosing, or switch to regular Effexor but really want to keep the steps off as simple as possible.  My start date is March 1, 2015 and while nervous about starting the taper, am also excited about the possibility of getting off of this drug.  

For those interested in knowing, the compounding pharmacy here in Toronto charges $70 to prepare the Pristiq compound every month, though I am lucky enough to have a drug plan with my employer and they have approved the drug and associated compounding costs.  The pharmacist is going to reduce the Pristiq by 10% each month based on the previous months' dosage and has been in contact with my family doctor to slow the taper to 5% if I run into problems.  All of the information that I have found on this site has provided me with much needed information that I was not able to find anywhere else and I'm very happy to have found this site.  Will report back with updates to help the next person along.  Thanks again.    

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)

Hi Baroquep! I'm one of the 2 proud members of the exclusive former compounders club!

See my post for details. To sum it up, it was VERY doable for me, even taking into account that several times I went faster than 10% (I regret that, made it harder, don't do it).

I even started with about 36 mgs, because I was doing a cycle of taking the a pill every 36 hours instead of 24 (VERY bad idea), so I figured it would be equivalent... It wasn't.

Another important thing I didn't see mentioned by you is how many capsules per day will you take. You said they will add a buffer. I'm not pharmacist, but I don't think that buffer would be as effective as the one in the original one. Maybe it's likely that it will dump more drug at a given time than the original.

Why don't you do what I did AND with buffered pills? Instead of taking one capsule with the full dosage, take one every 8 hours with 1/3 of the dosage you would have taken. Even if the buffer fails, that should do it!

I didn't notice any weird symptoms while doing that.

What I did was take the new dose (say I was on 33, new dosage was 24... I know, bad idea, but it was what I did). I would lower the dose, felt pretty sh*tty for a week, wait for about a month and then begin again.

Next time, if I recall correctly, when from 24 to 21... then, 21 to 18... and it went on.

So, to sum it up, in my experience, each time I lowered the dosage I would feel sad, tired, not wanting to do anything, had pretty dark thoughts (everything seemed futile and worthless). The worst part of it was that... it wasn't like when I withdrew from clonazepam, the feelings were much... deeper. And felt more true.

With clonazepam, I always felt that the withdrawal was an artificial state of anxiousness I was in. With pristiq, it felt the other way around. Like I was wearing some pink glasses (is that the expression in English???) and suddenly, someone removed them and I saw reality for as bleak as it was.

That terrible state of mind ended up passing after a week, and each time I lowered the dosage, I felt the same way.

The good thing is that, while the state was deeply ingrained, I KNEW, based on my experience, that it was neurochemical, so that allowed me to dissociate a lot from the feeling.

Anyway, keep your spirits high! You are going to do what I did successfully in a much slower and ordered fashion! I'm sure that if you find yourself something to distract you with and keep it up, you can do it too :D

BTW, it also worked for me NOT reading about Pristiq withdrawal all day... don't stay on the forums reading all you can when doing it, try to get your head into something new.

Hope it helped and best of luck and I hope you can be member number 3 of the club (now I wanna know if I was the original or the other guy/girl was... I hope I was the first, hahaha!).

• Moderator Emeritus

Yima wrote:  

BTW, it also worked for me NOT reading about Pristiq withdrawal all day... don't stay on the forums reading all you can when doing it, try to get your head into something new.

That's great advice!   

I also like the 1/3 dose every 8 hours, if you can do that.

I also like the chemists' idea of tapering 5% a month instead of 10% - especially if you have to function, work, go to school, be around people, etc.  That would be much smoother - it might feel like it's taking forever - but it will be so much smoother, less scary, less disruptive.

And really - even when your taper takes a long time - after about 6 months to a year, you begin to feel so much better, that you are happy to do it slower.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Well here I am almost two years later still on Pristiq as I chickened out and life got busy ... revisiting this forum once again to hopefully find the answer to minimize the withdrawal from these horrible pills and help others in the meantime.  

After much thought (again) and consultation with my pharmacist, I've decided to switch to 75mg of Effexor and have Effexor compounded by the pharmacist.  She will be putting me on 75mg for one month to stabilize me going from 50mg of Pristiq to 75mg of Effexor.  Hopefully there won't be too much of an issue switching.  I was initially on 75mg of Effexor when my family doctor switched me to 50mg of Pristiq and I didn't have any ill effects with the switch, nothing at all, it was seamless.  I am hoping that the switch from Pristiq to Effexor will also be seamless (knock on wood).  I am starting the switch on Thursday and the following month and subsequent months she will be reducing the dosage by 5% of the previous month's dosage.  It will probably take me close to two years to slowly wean off of this drug but because I've been on antidepressants for so long (with negligible benefit), I'd like to try and have as smooth a transition off of this medication as possible.

Because it seems that so many people have such difficulty weaning off of these drugs, I'm going to check-in at this forum to update my progress on a monthly basis.  Hopefully it will be a successful withdrawal and my experience can help others come off of these drugs as well.  

I've also contacted the drug company as well as the Ministry of Health as I think it is imperative that they insist that these drug companies have a detailed plan in place showing a patient/doctor how to safely taper off these drugs if a patient wishes to discontinue and not leave everyone to suffer through.  I read through the Pristiq leaflet and while it does mention "discontinuance syndrome" (and some horrible symptoms) there is nothing in the leaflet about tapering off if a patient is interested in stopping them and that is just plain unconscionable.  

Cheers to all who have had success and best of luck to anyone looking to wean off these beasts!!!

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

baroque -- Welcome back! (?) Good luck with your switch back to Effexor.

About contacting MOH, drugs are federally approved so the DOH in Ottawa might be more productive.  You might find this petition and the discussion about it interesting. Petition calling for tapering kits

I had the same thought about tapering doses. Such doses could be made in the same configurations as currency: 0.05, 0.1, 0.25, 1, 2, 5.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

according to my pharmacist 50 mg of Pristiq equals 75 mg Effexor XR ... just took my first dose of 75 mg Effexor XR this morning and while I do feel a little bit of anxiety tonight, it is definitely manageable. 

Tapering Schedule

• Administrator

Please let us know how you're doing.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Altostrata:  absolutely, today is the first day of the switch from 50mg Pristiq to 75mg Effexor XR, so far so good (tiny bit of anxiety but think that's more from anticipating withdrawal symptoms rather than the switch from Pristiq to Effexor).  Will write again once I make the first 5% decrease or before if there are any significant side effects to report.  Thanks for reaching out!!!

Tapering Schedule

• Administrator

You'll want to stay on 75mg Effexor XR at least a month before making another change.

• Moderator Emeritus

yes, for sure, that is my plan.  The pharmacist said to hold for two weeks but I think I'll likely do a month to ensure things stay well.  I remember from one of your posts that a medical doctor you corresponded with mentioned that he'd switched a patient from Pristiq to Effexor and it was seamless.  So far that is my experience as well ... I"m now on day two of the switch to Effexor XR without any issues and am very grateful for that.  Imagine the next couple of days will be the true test of how my mind is going to manage and am hoping that the transition will be seamless for me as well.  

Tapering Schedule

• Administrator

I hope it is seamless!

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'd hoped not to have to write until my first decrease of Effexor ... It's still early days I suppose.  Day four now of the switch but it is not going as seamlessly as I'd hoped.  While all of the feelings / side effects are certainly manageable ... maybe I need to try harder (?) and/or have a bit more patience but ... I'm not sure that I want to feel sick, like I'm coming down with the flu and slightly anxious everyday for the next couple of years until I can properly taper off of this drug.   Thinking about food is a complete turn off, especially sweet things (and I have a major sweet tooth) so that is pretty strange ... am also nervous about exercising as I don't want my head to turn into a ping pong ball or tempt the brain zaps to take root, though I've read that exercise might be a good thing.  Guessing maybe I am so paranoid that I'm going to get full blown withdrawal that I'm making myself anxious but I just don't want to go into withdrawal (the last time was just awful and the reason I've stayed on this crap for so long).  When I switched from Effexor to Pristiq years ago it was definitely seamless, I didn't skip a beat, but the switch back to Effexor is not going as well as I'd hoped. Maybe it needs to build up in my system?  Does anyone else have any experience with switching from Pristiq to Effexor XR? Did you have side effects making the switch? Any help would be most appreciated as it seems to be getting worse as the days go by instead of better :(

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi baroquep,

If you are starting to feel worse and your symptoms become unbearable you may need to increase your Effexor dose.  The smaller the dose you can increase by to get the withdrawal symptoms under control the better.  However, it is not good to keep changes doses.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable I've checked out the Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine) and found these in Post #1 about equivalancy of Pristiq to Effexor:

Dr. Stuart Shipko posts here:

Given the lack of research on the topic, my opinions are necessarily anecdotal, and YMMV.  Despite the Effexor XR supposedly having problems with bead tapering because not all beads contain active ingredients, I have had consistently good results bead tapering Effexor XR.  My approach is to change Pristiq to Effexor XR.  For 50 of Pristiq I make an immediate substitution of 150 of the Efxr and after a few days the Efxr is decreased to 100 mg and kept stable for a week before tapering from the Efxr.

Advice from a psychiatric pharmacist
I have been corresponding with a professor at a prominent US university pharmacy department. Here is his best guess at how to taper Pristiq (he does not want his name published):

One may want to consider the following options:

• Always taper to lowest available strength (ie – 50mg) before attempting to discontinue
  • Switch to venlafaxine IR [regular Effexor immediate-release] product (a non-coated tablet which is splittable) and taper further. [see above.]  Although there is no absolute dosing equivalence between the two products, a reasonable assumption might be that 50mg of desvenlafaxine is roughly equivalent to 100-150mg of venlafaxine.
  • OR Switch to low-dose fluoxetine (eg – 10mg) [see below.]

Below these quotes there is this:

Stahl:  my thinking is that 50 mg desven may be close to 75 mg venlafaxine,

Working on the premise that:

50mg Pristiq = 100mg Effexor

then

37.5mg Pristiq = 75mg Effexor*

therefore

you have made a 25% reduction

My dose taken calculation:  37.5mg (dose equivalent of Pristiq*) / 50mg (previous Pristiq dose) X 100 = 75%

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I just recently made the switch from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg and am on day 5.  Will start the Effexor taper in another few weeks.  Had a bit of a rough time (though manageable) the first few days but that seems to have subsided now, thank God.  Hoping that I can connect with people that have already done this so I can correspond with someone who has been through this process so I don't feel so alone.  Any tips would be most appreciated!!!  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post about your Pristiq to Effexor switch to your introduction thread so that all your information and questions, as well as others' responses are in one place. 

I can't think of any one who's currently posting on SA who has done the Pristiq to Effexor switch.  Maybe one of the other moderators will remember someone.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

In the Introductions forum, search for pristiq effexor

ktp successfully made this substitution, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5418-ktp-weaning-from-4yrs-50mg-pristiq/

• Moderator Emeritus

ChessieCat, Am not sure that I want to increase the dosage as when I initially made the switch, it seemed it amped me up.  Almost like my mind was in overdrive.  Was a little worried that maybe I was taking too much Effexor.  Yesterday I had absolutely no symptoms at all, thought I was through the worst of it and was going to start exercising again.  Today was not a good day though.  Bad anxiety since 12 noon and no sign of it relenting.  On a positive note, not feeling sick anymore, the metallic taste in my mouth is gone, food not as repulsive as it was a couple of days ago but the anxiety and thought process that goes along with the anxiety is a little frightening.  Also eyes are feeling a little strange, like they are sticking out though I know they are not.  Head feels like there is too much pressure though no headaches.  Every so often I start feeing really hot and then it goes away as fast as it started.  I'm going to weather through it for as long as I can but do have to work and have a workable, sane mind when at work.  Am guessing all of these symptoms are caused because the Pristiq is leaving my system? or could this be side effects from the Effexor?  Am freaking out a bit and part of me (a very small part cause I want off this poison) thinks I should just stay on this f'ing pill as I can't imagine feeling this way for another four years which is how long it's going to take if I slowly wean at a 5% reduction per month.  Help!?!

Tapering Schedule

• Administrator

Those symptoms are from variations in the Pristiq vs Effexor dosage and the differences in action between the two drugs.

It may be that the Effexor dosage is too high or too low to substitute for Pristiq. There's no precise equivalence.

It will take at least 4 days for your system to fully register the change. Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Altostrata, thanks for getting back to me.  Today was a much better day and the anxiety is finally easing up a bit.  I keep trying to remind myself that it's all part of a bigger plan to feel human again, but man it's tough and these are early days!!!  Yesterday my mind was completely engulfed with anxiety and paranoia when I was at work, so much so that I was going to approach my boss with something that seemed completely logical then.  Am so glad that I waited as it would have been pretty embarrassing going into the office today to face my boss after making a complete and utter fool of myself.  Tomorrow will be one full week after the switch and am going to try and make it through the month with the hopes that the Pristiq to Effexor switch will even out so I can start reducing the dosage.  If it ends up that the switch isn't going to work for me, will go back on the Pristiq and taper off of that by seeing if the pharmacist can compound the tablets so I can take them twice a day to avoid a dosage dump and the resulting problems that would likely happen because of that.  I almost wish I'd just given it a little more thought before switching to Effexor and just weaned off the Pristiq, likely avoiding the change in medication and resulting issues, but here I am almost a week later and hopefully don't have to go back from here.   

I've also contacted CAMH (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health) here in Toronto to set up an assessment with them as I was told that they can help me properly withdrawal from these pills.  Don't have any details yet about how'd they would help but know enough about the withdrawal syndrome involved in weaning off antidepressants that I won't take any of their advice blindly.  It does make me feel a little better though, knowing that I may have connected with the correct people to assist with withdrawing safely.  Their services are covered under our health insurance here in Ontario.  

As well, I stumbled upon a naturopathic doctor (DrJonathan Prousky, ND, MSc.,) who is very familiar with withdrawal syndrome and has written a paper (which I have attached) and it seems like he has had success in the past helping people wean off of psychotropic drugs.  If I don't have any luck at CAMH, I will contact him but imagine that his services are expensive and he uses a lot of natural/herbal supplements while tapering which can get pretty pricey.    

I'm now even more determined than ever to get off of either Pristiq or Effexor, whichever I end up staying on to wean, as I just can't and won't take these drugs anymore.  I want this poison out of my mind and body as quickly and as safely as I can.

So today I'm feeling okay, somewhat sane and have lived another day without my brain splatting all over the pavement!!!  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

I've attached the paper here as it looks like I forgot to attach it in my previous post.  

Thanks againTapering Success and Failure.pdf

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

baroque -- Welcome back! (?) Good luck with your switch back to Effexor.

About contacting MOH, drugs are federally approved so the DOH in Ottawa might be more productive.  You might find this petition and the discussion about it interesting. Petition calling for tapering kits

I had the same thought about tapering doses. Such doses could be made in the same configurations as currency: 0.05, 0.1, 0.25, 1, 2, 5.

Hi Scallywag, have signed the petition ... all these drug companies should, by law, have to provide tapering kits for people who wish to discontinue these drugs.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

CAMH is a very conservative organization, much depends on the doc you see. Let us know how things go for you at your appointment.

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

First full week off of Pristiq and switch to Effexor.  Had another good day today, two days in a row is making me feel very optimistic, but still very cautious.  Anxiety is pretty much gone and most of the other symptoms as well.  My arms felt a little rubbery when I woke up today so I made a bee-line to my bottle of Omega 3s.  Decided to increase Omega 3s to 1250 twice a day and really think it has made a big difference.  Started taking time-release B12 this morning as I've read it helps with nervous system and mood, will take that twice a day as well.

CAMH called me back today to let me know that they offer a one-time appointment with a psychiatrist to be assessed and that you need a referral from your family doctor.  Have decided to pass on that for the time being and will make an appointment with Dr. Jonathan Prousky as he has a lot of experience weaning people off these drugs and his fees are reasonable.  He will work with both my family doctor and pharmacist to tweak (if necessary) the reduction plan that is in place now.  Personally feel that I need one-on-one support while going through this just in case I run into trouble.  It makes me feel better knowing I will be working with someone who is thoroughly familiar with withdrawing from psychotropic drugs.  

These boards are an amazing wealth of knowledge and support on how to properly taper off of these drugs and am so thankful that I found them.  Thanks to all who have taken the time to share their experiences and respond to my posts, you have no idea how helpful you have been.  Thank You!!!

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Working on the premise that:

50mg Pristiq = 100mg Effexor

then

37.5mg Pristiq = 75mg Effexor*

therefore

you have made a 25% reduction

Hi ChessieCat, Have to agree with you, the switch to 75mg Effexor XR from 50mg Pristiq probably resulted in a 25% reduction ... if I had to do it over again, I would have started on 100mg Effexor rather than 75mg.  Am thinking that 50mg Pristiq is likely closer to 100mg Effexor despite what my pharmacist recommended.  After all is said and done, during the switch I only had one really awful day, so I guess I'll have to say, for me anyway, it was successful.  Now to get off of the f'ing Effexor!!!  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

That's interesting feedback.  I'm glad you're doing okay.

However, please be careful and don't try and rush things.  It will probably be a good idea to have a nice long hold on 75mg Effexor (I'm thinking at least 2 months or maybe even 3 or possibly 4 - other mods might give their opinion) to allow your brain a really good chance to settle and adapt to the changes.  That way you can set yourself up for your taper knowing that you are, hopefully, starting from a stable base.

Don't forget to keep notes and don't panic if you do get more symptoms.  Have a read of Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  and also Six Mistakes I've Made in Withdrawal

These helped me to understand SA's recommendations and have helped me to stay patient and not try and taper too quickly:

Brain Remodelling (Rhi's Description of Brain Healing)

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

It's important to be able to handle any symptoms with Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms and also be aware of Neuro Emotions

Here are some other things you can check out:

1. Acceptance
  2. Acceptance and Mindfulness
  3. Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System
  4. "Change the channel" -- dealing with cognitive symptoms
  5. Change cognitive framing - Redirect - Another Way
  6. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression
  7. Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Four full days of relative calm after the switch and am feeling pretty optimistic.  Am now wondering if, as Allostrata mentioned above, "Those symptoms are from variations in the Pristiq vs Effexor dosage and the differences in action between the two drugs." is relevant to my experience.  Also thinking that managing my state of mind is very important as I've found myself "looking for" and "fearing" withdrawal symptoms as my previous attempts trying to taper off of these meds were so horrific (prior to finding this site).  Being so hyper-vigilant added to the anxiety/panic big time.

My plan, if I remain stable, is to reduce 5% on October 6th (one full month after the switch).  I so want to go faster even though I am aware of the consequences but find myself trying to figure out a way to get off this medication as quickly as possible.  Tempted to start removing some of the beads before my taper date ... two years seems like such a long time to taper and I want my mind and emotions back!!!  I won't go faster as much as I want to as the alternative is just not an option knowing everything I know now.  

My sister and I went to a movie a couple of weeks ago and it was a tear-jerker and my sister was crying up a storm, me I just sat there like a Stepford Wife and couldn't have squeezed out a tear even if I'd tried to force myself.  Was so jealous of my sister being able to feel and express emotion and that was the defining moment that reminded me of how much I wanted off of this medication.  One good thing is that I'm dreaming again sometimes even remembering my dreams.  Haven't dreamt or remembered a dream in a long time so that is definitely a positive.

Anyway, just an update to let anyone thinking of switching from Pristiq to Effexor to taper off, it is very doable despite my initial freak-out, looking back the symptoms were manageable compared to a quick taper.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Week two and all is well in Stepford :ph34r:   Withdrawal symptoms are pretty much non-existent ... at this time anyway.  Had I known how difficult it was to stop taking antidepressants, I never would have started taking them.  Doctors should be required to warn patients about the severe withdrawals so that a patient can make an informed decision before starting these drugs.  At least when you take a tranquillizer or a street drug, you know the consequences, not so with antidepressants.  

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Had intense anxiety at work today, so much so it felt like I was going to go off the deep end. Very discouraged as it was intense enough to interfere with my job. Very upsetting to get what seemed so far and then for this to happen. Am a little bit better now but it was intense . Wondering if I should wait it out and see if it gets any worse or just go back on Pristiq. Am not sure that I will be able to continue with withdrawal when I already have a stressful job...how do people handle the intense anxiety? Man, it felt like I was losing my mind!!!

Tapering Schedule

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi baroquep

Here is SA's link on Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety.  See Post #2.

It may be better, if the anxiety continues and you can't live with it, to increase your Effexor by a small amount.

If you are taking the capsules with beads, you could (daily) take a few additional beads (2 or 3) from a separate capsule to add to your 75mg, just don't chew them.  This might be enough to get the anxiety under control.  Chopping and changing your drug, even though they are related, could upset the apple cart even more.  Before member Fresh was getting her Pristiq compounded she mentioned that sometimes she would take an additional small amount of powder.  Her term was "smidge" I think.