If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

baroquep: Pristiq Taper Help - Advice Needed

introductions and udates tapering support desvenlafaxine Pristiq Pristiq to Effexor bridge

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#217 baroquep

baroquep

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Hi Nate, I won't lie, the switch from Pristiq to Effexor XR was pretty intense.  Though once my body/mind adjusted, withdrawal has been fairly tolerable except for a couple of rough spots after my tapers in January/February when I tried to shorten the holds.  My doctor switched me from 50mg Pristiq to 75 mg Effexor XR and from my experience, I can only assume that a switch from 50mg Pristiq to 100mg Effexor XR would have probably made it a lot easier.  

I have the Effexor XR compounded and chose this route, because Pristiq has a time-release coating and the pharmacist said I would have to either dose Pristiq twice a day to keep a steady stream of the drug in my system or she could add a time-release mechanism to the compounded Pristiq but she couldn't guarantee that it would work as intended.  Because I was worried about either a dose dump or having to take it twice a day, I decided it might be easier to switch to the Effexor XR.  I know that there are a few people on this site (ChessieCat for one) who have their Pristiq compounded and didn't seem to have any issues but we are all different.  

If I had to do it again, am not 100% sure, but may have just stuck to having the Pristiq (devil you know) compounded with a time-release mechanism and taken my chances.  It's anyone's guess whether doing that or switching to the Effexor XR would have been a better or worse approach as these drugs are so unpredictable.  What works well for one person, doesn't work well for another, so it's a crap shoot.  

All I can say is to go slow, no more than 10% at a time, Effexor (any version) and Pristiq are notoriously difficult to withdrawal from so be prepared for it to take you many years to get this drug out of your system safely.  In the long run, it really doesn't matter how long it takes, the most important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is to get it out of your system as gently and carefully as humanly possible and we are the only ones that can ultimately make that wise decision.  

Good luck in your journey, after everything that I have gone through so far, the benefits are most definitely worth it.  I feel a lot more engaged in life and hopeful that it can only get better as I slowly get this drug out of my system.  Best of luck! 

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism

Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg 
November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 (holding until I stabilize)
May 20, 2017 - reduced 40.25

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: introductions and udates, tapering, support, desvenlafaxine, Pristiq, Pristiq to Effexor bridge