SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques)

Nadia

MOD NOTE

The Tapping Solution webpage has free video sessions and so does The Tapping Solution App.

Hi,

Someone told me about this yesterday, and it seems to help some people. I'm putting it out here for what it's worth. If you have success with this, maybe you can add some info on what helps?

http://www.eftuniverse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=14

At the bottom of the page it says something about downloading a link to a PDF. The PDF is pretty complete. If you want more visuals, you can look on YouTube and find demonstrations. What is interesting is that it doesn't seem to really matter how exactly you follow through the procedure, it can be pretty loose and can be adapted. I think the biggest challenge is trying to find the right "setup" phrase (you'll see what I mean when you read the PDF) and how to disentangle your symptoms to work on them.

I tried this yesterday successfully for anxiety and for sleep issues. Today I tried again with more complex phrases and didn't have as good a result (thought it still did something). My hunch is it works best when the cause of your symptom is trauma-related or emotional, but I'm not sure. If anyone has more experience with this I'd love to hear it!

Edited by Kiasofia
Added Mod note

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

I have tried it did not think it worked at all.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

i tried,

maybe it works for mild mild anxiety, but in withdrawal, chemical changes in brain, psy meds are so strong poison, it gives any result

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

I've tried it and felt some benefit from it. But I'm the sort of person who keeps my feelings in, and have trouble expressing them (due to family background), so maybe thats why it helped me. Even when it didnt help a lot, I always felt some kind of effect, or a "shift" of feelings.

I think it helps to keep you grounded in your body and take you out of your head. I've also read that it works on the right side of the brain...though I know very little about that.

If you look on the Beyond Meds blog (its listed somewhere on this site), Gianna mentions some different techniques for trauma release that helped her. They may or may not be helpful during withdrawal - everyone is different.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

I tried many things in WD, EFT-like techniques, the Claire Weekes techniques (facing, accepting, floating, let more times pass), EMDR-like techniques. En early WD nothing gave even the slightest relief. But my belief in the techniques at least kept me from going back to Paxil. Of course this is not a sign that the techniques work... I think that those techniques have their value but are pretty useless in WD. It van only add to your feeling of guilt and powerlessness.

I shelved those techniques and sometimes use them when I feel I am open to it. For me, staying in the Now when the ruminating starts to raise its ugly head is the best one.

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

....I shelved those techniques and sometimes use them when I feel I am open to it. For me, staying in the Now when the ruminating starts to raise its ugly head is the best one.

Excellent, Claudius! Can you describe a little more how you do this?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hasn't been working for me now either. Argh... for a bit there I thought it was going to be what got me through. I still think it can have value, as it helped me once... maybe it was the distraction? Maybe it was coincidence? Maybe it was a way of changing the channel, to use Alto's term? I keep on finding testimonials about it working for some people. It makes sense that it would work more for bringing unconscious fears and emotions to the surface and dispelling them. I still am struggling to figure out how much of what I am going through is situational life stuff and how much is withdrawal.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 3 years later...

I had a therapist do this with me in 2008 when I was getting off Lexapro....it was very good.  It did not stop WD, but it helped me let go of things from the past.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I did EFT with a therapist for two years and in the end it was really not helpful. This may have had a lot to do with the practioner, and not EFT. I went to her specifically because I'd heard it was helpful in clearing trauma. She was not able to help me with this and then decided the problem was that I didn't want to change!

I do use it myself sometimes, and it's helpful for my ocassional insomnia when I'm angry about something but haven't been able to let it out. I use it at work also when I need to let off steam (I tap on how my boss is such a (fill in the blank) and then I calm down.

1992-1997 Succession of SSRIs, Wellbutrin, Tricyclics - moderate depression became not so moderate over time...

1998-1999: Can't  be the meds, so: New dx – Bipolar II, SSRIs with mood stabilizers, benzos, Trazodone

2000-2002: Moclobomide plus cocktail - yuck! So - Mood Stabilizers, Nortrypline (tricyclic),Trazodone.

2003-2006: Lamictal 200 mg, Nortrypline 75, Trazodone 75 - felt almost okay until they pooped out in 2006

2006 (July - December, I think) Tapered off Nortriptyline

2007 (January –June): Tapered Lamictal to 100 mg. Increased Trazodone to 125. Concentration problems came/stayed

2013 Tapered Lamictal to 80 mg. Cut to 77.5 December.

2014 Jan. Lamictal cut to 75 mg not successful

2014 Feb cut Trazodone to 112.5

April 22  Trazodone to 108, Lamictal to 75. Badness!

Lamictal back to 77.5 , Traz still at 108.

July 19 cut Trazodone to 104 ish.

• 1 year later...

In early WD almost next to nothing helped or worked. Though I did get some brief relief after my first acupuncture session at NCNM in Portland OR, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in early WD as I realize everybody is different and for our poor over sensitized nervous systems it might be too much. If you're further along though, I think it might be something worth looking into. Anyway, with that said, after my first acupuncture session I gained more respect for the "meridian points" theory and it also gave me a little window of hope that I was able to peer through however briefly. 

I had tried EFT before to help deal with relationship issues and it had helped some, but in early WD all bets were off and I was scared I may have been doing more damage. About 6 months out or so I came back to it and it seemed to be helping albeit very slightly but any sense of relief I could get was most welcome. EFT is definitely a tool I keep in my tool belt. It hasn't provided any miracles, but it's kept me coping for the past few years and I'd hate to think of where I'd be without it. Practitioners weren't really all that helpful for me, which in hidsight can actually be viewed as a good thing as it means you don't hafta shell out big bucks to learn the technique and become proficient in it which I learned from Youtube videos alone.

Zoloft nearly killed me.

Depakote at 15 for PTSD

Then Lithium for "bipolar disorder". Then Paxil, Welbutrin, Celexa, Serequel, Buspar and Risperidol

And Effexor

At 21 I'm transitioned to Zoloft only

At 26 in late 2010 desperate to no longer just exist I go off my "pediatric dose" of Zoloft which I had previously weaned towards

Shortly after spend the next few years going through WD Hell

2016 Drug free and trying to reclaim my health with the help of my kinesiologist

we're not scare mongering. this is really happening.

I love EFT. I've been one to suppress feelings my whole life and EFT was great for letting go. I did a video on releasing shame and I was able to let go of sooo much. I'm not sure how it'll go with withdrawal though. I'm more sensitive when dealing with withdrawal symptoms and I think releasing some of the older stuff might be tough to deal with at the same time..for myself anyway.

Intermittent Klonopin use February, 2014 to September, 2015

- Off of SSRIs completely since April, 2012 

- Had horrible side effects from Celexa (constant feelings of terror, insomnia) so stopped taking it after 6 weeks

- Started 20 mg of Celexa in February 2012

- Began to taper off of Zoloft in May, 2011, off Zoloft completely September, 2011

- Increased Zoloft to 75 mg October, 2010 and decreased back to 50 mg in February, 2011

- June 2009- Went on 50 mg of Zoloft

- October, 2007 - July, 2008- Celexa 20 mgs (tapered off fairly quickly)

- 2006-2007- On Effoxor for about 8 months- switched to Prozac and cold turkeyed off

- 2005- Paxil and Lamictal for a few months but stopped taking because it didn't work

- 2004- Paxil for a few months but quit taking because of increased feelings of depression

• 2 years later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I'm just starting with some "tapping" or EFT(emotional freedom technique).

So far........so good.  Like everything it takes practice and persistence, as well as an open mind.

Seems to clear the "stress headaches" and upper back pain almost immediately when I use it........my own "stress" responses to very real recent emotional upheavals....... post my many medications.

"The scientific basis for Tapping therapy revolves around the functions of a specific almond-shaped part of your brain called the amygdala. It is part of the body’s limbic system, the source of emotions and long-term memory. The amygdala is known as the brain’s fear center, from which the “flight or fight” response originates, alerting other parts of the brain that it senses danger. This, in turn, initiates the firing of other brain receptors and the release of specific hormones that allow the body to respond to the perceived danger. "

Taken from:  https://www.thetappingsolution.com/tapping-101/

This is a pretty good link to self teach or refer to the tapping points from......... it also shows the tapping points and how to form a statement.........."even though............I deeply and completely accept myself".  You don't have to buy anything either.  B)

On 4/9/2016 at 7:02 PM, Celeste said:

I'm more sensitive when dealing with withdrawal symptoms and I think releasing some of the older stuff might be tough to deal with at the same time..for myself anyway.

I'm not real certain if it's about releasing "older stuff" as far as content goes, life happenings and such........I'm more of the mind that with time......... it changes the body's learned reaction to any stuff that our once compromised(now healing) nervous system reads as stress or difficult.

I went through a practice of it with my therapist this week.  Mostly I will be doing it on my own from here on out........some check backs with her/therapist when needed.  It can be a self guided tool.

I hope that makes sense.  Anyway.......feeling hopeful about this!

Love, peace, healing/inrecovery, and growth,

manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 4 months later...

I have been doing EFT and other energy psychology modalities with my therapist for the past 8 months. The one I have been using most often is Logosynthesis, and I also recommend Zensight - both very gentle. We used Logosynthesis today, and I spontaneously tapped during some of it, to release certain aspects of the distress I have been experiencing in WD. I actually felt lighter and freer since the session. Not untroubled, but less falling down a well with no handholds.

I only took a cursory look at the site you listed, and I personally prefer the one from Gary Craig, the founder of EFT, who does not require an e-mail address. I love his Gold Standard EFT Tutorial, and there are also 300 EFT Tapping articles - all freely accessed from his site: https://www.emofree.com/

3/2018: 10mg/day escalitopram; 10/19/18: blood tests revealed mild hypothyroidism & higher than normal cholesterol, so decided to discontinue by tapering off & reduced to 5mg/day; 11/11/18: reduced to approx. 2.5mg/day (inexact since using pill splitter). Resumed long-discontinued Solgar cal/mag/zinc but the exhaustion came back so will try to cut dosage. Taking a plethora of vits/minerals for many years; wondering whether some of what I'm on is causing the exhaustion that came on 3.5 yrs ago w/broken foot & never left. Discontinued 12/2/18. Each step down. Took 3 weeks to stabilize enough for next stage. A month out from discontinuation, I am symptom free except for occasional cognitive fog, and intermittent muscle soreness. 6 weeks out (1/19/19), feeling pretty good, a bit active bowel still and gym stamina back to 80% pre-medication levels.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Walking,

If referring to the site I mentioned.......I liked the simplicity, as well as the amygdala explanation.  I don't usually do the guided "taps".......I just run through it, with 9 points on my own.

For me......anyway.......keeping it simple does help a lot. 

Thank you for the share of another site and the founder.  That's interesting.  I did not know there was one founder.  I will certainly try to take a look see at some of the articles, as well as the tutorial offered.

So glad you got some relief.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

p.s. oh, I'm not email connected to the tapping solution site, in other words, did not register or anything to take a look/see.

Edited by manymoretodays
p.s.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 11/20/2018 at 10:01 AM, manymoretodays said:

For me......anyway.......keeping it simple does help a lot. 

p.s. oh, I'm not email connected to the tapping solution site, in other words, did not register or anything to take a look/see.

Thanks, manymoretodays, for your response. 

I'm glad you found a practice that works for you, that's the most important thing~

Thanks, also, for letting me know you didn't have to register or give your e-mail addy to view the tapping solution site; I gave it only a cursory look so I prob'ly misinterpreted.

love, peace, healing & growth right back atcha!

3/2018: 10mg/day escalitopram; 10/19/18: blood tests revealed mild hypothyroidism & higher than normal cholesterol, so decided to discontinue by tapering off & reduced to 5mg/day; 11/11/18: reduced to approx. 2.5mg/day (inexact since using pill splitter). Resumed long-discontinued Solgar cal/mag/zinc but the exhaustion came back so will try to cut dosage. Taking a plethora of vits/minerals for many years; wondering whether some of what I'm on is causing the exhaustion that came on 3.5 yrs ago w/broken foot & never left. Discontinued 12/2/18. Each step down. Took 3 weeks to stabilize enough for next stage. A month out from discontinuation, I am symptom free except for occasional cognitive fog, and intermittent muscle soreness. 6 weeks out (1/19/19), feeling pretty good, a bit active bowel still and gym stamina back to 80% pre-medication levels.

• 4 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Ah...... some good ones, in the way of video's that are helping me with my overactive stress response post all drugs.  I'm doing some of this tapping with my morning meditations now.  Settles down the "squirrel brain" quite nicely.

• Moderator Emeritus

.....and "Loving your fearful self"

......and now to find my Chakra class notes and do some gutteral chanting.  Then my day will really begin in the now and in the right place.  Ahhhhhhh.

Edited by manymoretodays

Great videos, manymoretodays, thanks for posting!

• 5 months later...

Here is another link I found useful for EFT specifically for withdrawal. I’ve only just started using it but it does seem to shift the anxiety for a short while. When you feel anxious all the time ‘ a short while’  is welcomed respite no matter how long.

Best wishes to all

Kx

Lexapro Fast Track/ Cold Turkey

Last dose end Dec 2018 

Tapered 1/2 a daily dose a week (20mg) for  14 weeks, last dose was a 20 mg pill!!  

3.5 times slower than Psychiatrist recommended, I felt proud of myself!! Little did I know!!!!Got too scared to reinstate because I’d left it too long.

On ADs for 20 years (Prozac approx 10 years/ Pristiq approx 3 years/ Citalipram approx 2 years/. Lexapro a approx  5 years/. Last two years 40mgs Lexapro day.

• 10 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 10/2/2019 at 1:32 AM, Katy398 said:

When you feel anxious all the time ‘ a short while’  is welcomed respite no matter how long

It seems that it gave me a slight relief from anxiety : as you said, even slight, a relief is always welcome ! Thank you ❤

And even if doesn't relieve symptoms, it seems to allow us to take a time to give ourselves some love and compassion.

And self-love in WD is always a great thing  😉

@Cigale, @Dejavu, @Longroadhome : maybe you'll want to try this ☺

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Oh merci beaucoup ma chère @Erell! I really needed this sweet outreach from you today. And yes self-love is so, so important. That and l'amitié. 🤗

2008-2016 - Lexapro 10 mg, tapered to 2.5 mg over one year then CT without issues
Feb 2 - July 24, 2019 - restarted Lexapro 5 mg for insomnia

July 25 - Nov 19, 2019 - Lexapro 10 mg, resulted in increased anxiety and depression
Nov 20 - Dec 11, 2019 - 3-week FT from Lexapro 10 mg to 7.5 mg to 5 mg to 0
Dec 12, 2019 - Feb 4, 2020 - drug-free and feeling good until horrible WD hit
Feb 5 - Feb 16, 2020 - Paxil 10 mg, adverse reaction
Feb 18, 2020 - reinstated Lexapro 5 mg

Nov 22 - Dec 12, 2020 - transition from pill to homemade liquid

Dec 13, 2020 - 4.7 mg; Jan 3, 2021 - 4.5 mg; Jan 24 - 4.3 mg; Feb 14 - 4.2 mg; March 7 - 4.1 mg

daily meditation 10-40 minutes, yoga 30 minutes; CBT & ACT therapy

• 7 months later...

This morning I did a six or seven minute EFT (Emotional Freedom Therapy) tapping video with "Brad" on line. There followed about the worst anxiety siege I've had, still nearly incapacitating me at the end of the afternoon. I have to admit the experience with Brad was stressful, not calming. I won't try this anxiety-reducing technique any time soon!

Fluoxetine 1997-2014, 2015, 10-40 mg. GAD and DR symptoms returned  April 2013.

Bupropion 2013-14, 4 mos; Lexapro 2014; Cymbalta 2014. Gabapentin 2014; Mirtazapene 2014. Buspirone 2015.

Venlafaxine Dec. 2015 – May 2019, 150 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, May-June 2019

Bupropion Mar 2017 – July 2019 300 mg, tapered to 0 in 3 weeks, July 2019

Fluoxetine/Prozac May 2019 – present, tapered from 20 mg started Jan 2020, linear 10% every 4 wks.; tapered 6 to 4 mg June, 2, 2020; 4 to 1.8 mg Aug. 26, 2020; updose from 1.8 mg to 2.0 Nov. 16, 2020. Holding at 2.0 mg as of Mar 14,2021. April 14, 2021 updosed to 2.5 mg.

D3 2,000 mg; Omega 3 360 EPA/240 DHA; Magnesium Chelate 250 mg; Inositol powder started Nov 12, 2020; Theanine 400 mg; cranial electrotherapy stimulation device, self-treatments started Mar 14, 2021.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy