SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HopeNeeded Debilitating Withdrawals (Vision, Disequilibrium, Confusion, etc...)

HopeNeeded

Hi All -

Reading and typing are difficult, so I will try my best to relay what's going on with minimal typos. At the end of January, my psychiatrist used Prozac to begin weening me off of Pristiq (50mg), as the situation calling for meds was better and I was experiencing the haziness and vision problems associated with SSRIs. Over a month, I had discontinued both drugs (last dose of Prozac was 15 days ago). It is now March 10th and all of my symptoms are at their peak, with new ones arising regularly. My worst symptoms at this point are outlined below. I have omitted anxiety from the list because OBVIOUSLY. I am terrified that I am permanently like this. Can anyone else relate to such symptoms or advise on how long they lasted? I will not go back on this poison – but I also cannot go on like this. Any advice and/or support is welcome and appreciated. Good luck to everyone.

Vision Blurriness (Made worse by driving)
Dizziness/‘Spaced Out’/Fogged Feeling
Disequilibrium (feel like a zombie, not ‘myself)
Neck & Upper Back Pain (Particularly the top of my neck; stiffness of entire neck)
Sensation of Brain “Moving” (Sometimes like a shakiness or bobble head type feeling)
Muscle Spasms/Twitches (and general ‘shakiness)
Motion Sickness
Drunk (in a bad way)
Confusion
Trouble Concentrating (hurts my brain to try)
Memory/Recall Issues
Constant Headache (feels like a tension headache)
Temple & Ocular Pressure
Nausea (constant but generally mild)
Occasional Ear Pressure
Hair Loss

Diagnosis: Anxiety, Situational Depression 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

Beg of February 2015: Stopped Pristiq, continued on 20mg Prozac for 2 weeks 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2015: Decide to stop Pristiq due to negative side effects 

Beg of November 2014: Switch from Zoloft to Pristiq 50mg

August 2014: Reinstate Zoloft 100mg

March-June 2014: Weaned off of Zoloft 100mg 

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HopeNeeded

• Altostrata

• clearday

• apace41

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Welcome -

That all sounds like withdrawal from SSRIs, and most everyone here has had a few or more of the symptoms you listed during withdrawal. 

A moderator will be along to discuss your options, whether or not you should reinstate on your med to stabilize your nervous system for now.

If you decide to reinstate, then you can do a slow taper over time to get off the drug.

How long were you on Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)?

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Clearday - I was only on Pristiq for 3-4 months, which I had been placed on following about 5 months on Sertraline (100mg). I feel like I'm dying... At this point, I am ready to feel even a bit better or just finally die (not suicidal per se, but can't bare much more). 

March 2016: So debilitated that had to leave my home/job/life to move in with my parents. Hopeless. 

July 2015: Reinstated 2.5mg to 5mg Prozac - Got worse so stopped the reinstated Prozac

Middle of February 2015: Prozac 20mg every other day for one week and discontinued on February 18th or 19th 

End of January 2015: Use Prozac to wean off of Pristiq (Added 20mg of Prozac to the 50mg Pristiq - took both for 1 week)

January 2012: Begin Zoloft 100mg (6 month period at the end of 2012 where I discontinued the Zoloft - reinstated for situational depression) 

2008-May 2011: Cymbalta and Topamax for Migraines -- May 2011: Weaned off of Cymbalta and Topamax

Yes, withdrawal can be horrible. I know.

But you will get better - you are not going to be permanently like this. Your body will heal from this, but it will take time and patience.

So many people have been through this and recovered.

It is good that you have only been on these medications for a total of less than one year. (Zoloft 5 mos - Pristiq - 4 mos - Prozac - 2 mos).

Many people have been on these drugs 10-20 years and have recovered from the withdrawal.

Some people recover in a few months, others take longer.

The symptoms often come and go in waves. 

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

I can totally relate to your symptoms. I had those and more last fall and I wished for death also, not suicide either, just death... Anything that would bring relief.

I have found that my hair thins during withdrawal. Even now as I'm tapering slowly it starts to fallout more about 5 days after a drop, then levels out. Everyone loses 100 or more strands a day, but stress (physical and emotional) can make it worse... There's lots of stress in withdrawal as you know.

You've come to the right place. You'll find support and guidance here to get you through this. A moderator should be along shortly to help, but in the mean time here are a couple of threads you might find helpful to start with: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/ And http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

You'll get through this. Even though it may not feel like you will get through it you will. And the way you are feeling, the symptoms your experiencing are not permanent... I say that knowing full well that that may be hard for you to believe right now.

Welcome!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Thank you to Addax and clearday for your responses. I have not heard from a moderator or any other users. I am extremely concerned about my symptoms and joined this forum desperately hoping for someone who could relate to or validate what I'm going through (specifically). That seems to be something that some others have received... I guess I also want to know if my symptoms are a-typical. Hoping --

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to one of the pages of my thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6151-addax-25-years-of-prozac-and-trying-to-quit/page-6

If you scroll down to February 11th you'll see I have listed the symptoms I experienced last fall.

Your symptoms are typical of withdrawal, no question.

Let me get you started a little... It's helpful for the moderators if you could fill out your signatures as instructed here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

If you could also write up a post detailing you medication history with a time line, that would be helpful as well.

There are also some supplements that many people have found helpful during withdrawal, myself included. Here are some links discussing those: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/ And http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Sometimes it gets busy here, so if a mod hasn't come along, they will soon.

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

I will not go back on this poison – but I also cannot go on like this. 

Agreed, your symptoms are very typical for withdrawal.

Since you say you cannot go on like this, a moderator may suggest you go back on a lower dose of your SSRI ("reinstate") to stabilize your nervous system. If you choose to do that, then once you stabilize, then you can do a 10% taper:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Otherwise, your "cold turkey" withdrawal will be tough for awhile until your body stabilizes on its own.

Often reinstating works, and sometimes it doesn't.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

I just realized how quickly you tapered off your medications. A month is far to fast! This site recommends tapperin no more tha 10% of your dose every 5 weeks or so, and doing only one drug taper at a time. No wonder you're feeling so horribly. It takes our brains time to adjust to the decrease in medication which is why a slow very gradual taper is reccomended.

You might actually want to consider reinstating a very small amount of prozac. That can often help alleviate the severity of symptoms. Here's info on that: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

I hope this helps this info helps in the meantime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaclyn,

Welcome to SA

What you are experiencing is all a feature of withdrawal. You have tapered very fast. Some people might be able to get away with that others can't. This site is testament to the many that can't

It would be great if you could fill out your signature with your full drug history and details of how you crossed over from pristine to Prozac. Did you simply stop pritiq one day and start the Prozac? Also how were you feeling during the time you were on Prozac? Did you have any symptoms then?

The link to how to fill out your signature is in a post above

I know this is frightening but don't panic. When we ave a good picture of your drug history we can't talk about your options

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

Welcome, Jaclyn.

How long did you take the Prozac after you were off Pristiq? Did you have any of these symptoms while you were taking Prozac alone?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I made a signature.

Thinking and writing are so hard. My brain literally doesn't let me try to think  - it just starts JUMPING in my brain until I can't take it anymore. I can't do this...

I hope the signature will allow for some more feedback. Thanks all.

xo

I hope it starts getting easier for you soon. :) sorry you are in so much discomfort.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Thanks, wildflower0214. I hope the same.

To All -

How do I get responses slash help on here? Terrified and would like to know up front if I (a) don't belong or (B) don't have a story interesting or worthwhile "enough" to address here?

It has nothing to do with you. Others on here feel the same way you do, that they don't get enough responses.

One way to get more responses is to reach out to other people and post on their threads. 

Find someone's thread who you think you can relate to, ask them questions, make comments.

They may be able to direct you to someone who can answer some specific questions you have about your symptoms -

24 months SSRI-free  

Hi Jaclyn. So sorry you are suffering. Many of us are in huge waves right now. Clearday gave you good advice about reading other people's threads and posting your support. They will visit your thread and do the same.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaclyn, welcome to SA. I'm sorry that you feel you have been neglected, I know the feelings of desperation and not knowing where to turn. You are not being ignored, staff are voluntary and going through their own traumas so it can be a while before a mod responds. Alto and Dalsaan asked some questions and it would help us if you can answer those for us. 

Welcome, Jaclyn.

How long did you take the Prozac after you were off Pristiq? Did you have any of these symptoms while you were taking Prozac alone?

Hi Jaclyn,

Welcome to SA

What you are experiencing is all a feature of withdrawal. You have tapered very fast. Some people might be able to get away with that others can't. This site is testament to the many that can't

It would be great if you could fill out your signature with your full drug history and details of how you crossed over from pristine to Prozac. Did you simply stop pritiq one day and start the Prozac? Also how were you feeling during the time you were on Prozac? Did you have any symptoms then?

The link to how to fill out your signature is in a post above

I know this is frightening but don't panic. When we ave a good picture of your drug history we can talk about your options

Dalsaan

Thank you for filling out your signature, it is very helpful but we need to know how you felt during the taper. Did you feel better on prozac, or worse?  Sadly it is the kind of taper that doctors usually recommend and far too fast. Why did the doctor switch from zoloft to pristiq? Was that a cold switch or did you cross taper? I'm sorry for all the questions but it helps us to see the bigger picture. Your nervous system has taken quite a battering with all the changes and needs to stabilise.  Please try not to panic, this will pass but takes time.

In the meantime here are some links to topics you might find helpful. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Most people find that fish oil and magnesium help with withdrawal symptoms. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi Jaclyn,

I reallly feel for you in the full force of withdrawl. The doctors never worn us of this before taking the drugs its such shame.

There are lots of people on here that have been where you are right now and have made it through so try just hang in there.

It is suggested that if you can try and reinsate a very small amount of the drug this will help your body to stabilise then after few

months you could try tapering slower to come off the medication.

The choice to reinstate or not often seems hard one.

There are lots people here to offer there support and help.

Hope manage to get window from it all soon.

Amitriptyline 20mg for 11 months for migraines. 24.11.14 CT from amitriptyline by doctor to swop to Citrolpam as doctor felt side effects of drugs were mental health issues. 12.14 Reinstated back to amitriptyline 2 weeks later after cronic withdrawl. 19.02.2015 Droped from 25mg to 20mg as drugs causing adverse effects of heavy sedation and anestetic propertys.03.03.15 Reduced 18.5mg to try and deal with sedation again. 08.03.15 Reduced to 17.5mg  28.03.15 15.7mg 12.04.15 14.9mg 19.04.15 14.2mg 26.04.15 13.5mg  2.05.15 12.8mg 9.5.15 12.1mg 15.05.15 11.5mg 21.05.15 11.0mg 24.05.15 10.0mg 2.6.15 9.0mg 4.6.15 8.6mg 13.06.15 8.1mg 20.06.15 7.7mg 27.06.15 7.3mg 4.07.15 7.0mg 9.07.15 6.6mg 13.7.15 6.3mg 19.07.15 6.0mg 24.07.15 5.7mg 31.07.15 5.4 8.08.15 4.9mg 15.08.15 4.4mg 22.08.15 4.0mg 29.08.15 3.6mg 06.09.15 3.2mg 13.09.15 2.9mg 21.09.15 2.6mg 28.09.15 2.4mg 05.10.15 2.2mg 12.10.15 2.0mg 22.10.15 1.8mg 26.10.15 1.7mg 2.11.15 1.5mg 9.11.15 1.4mg 16.11.15 1.2mg 23.11.15 1.1mg 10.12.15 1mg 1.1.2016 0.9mg 17.1.2016 0.8mg 01.02.2016 0.7mg 08.02.2016 0.6mg 14.02.2016 0.5mg 21.02.2016 0.4mg 01.03.2016 changed to liquid 1:1 ratio 0.4mg 8.03.2016 0.38mg 15.03.2016 0.36mg 20.03.2016 0.35mg 27.03.2016 0.32mg 08.04.2016 0.29mg 14.04.2016 0.27mg 23.04.2016 0.25mg  30.04.2016 0.23mg 07.05.2016 0.21mg 14.05.2016 0.19mg 28.05.2016 0.17mg 06.06.2016 0.16ml 13.06.2016 0.15ml 20.06.2016 0.14ml 27.06.2016 0.13ml 04.07.2016 0.12ml 11.07.2016 0.11ml 18.07.2016 0.10ml 25.07.2016 0.09ml 01.08.2016 0.08ml 08.08.2016 0.07ml 15.08.2016 0.06ml 22.08.2016 0.05ml 12.08.2016 0.04ml changed to 10:1 ratio 02.09.2016 0.036ml 24.10.2016 0.033ml  14.11.2016 0.030ml 01.01.2017 0.024ml 22.01.2017 0.022mg 12.02.2017 0.020mg 05.03.2017 0.018mg 26.03.2017 0.016mg 17.04.2017 0.014mg 07.05.2015 0.012mg missed few sig updates 09.09.2017 0.005mg missing few sig udates 29.07.2018 0.0001mg 17.02.2019 0.000006mg missed few updates 12.06.2020 0.0000000064mg 27.11.2021 0.0000000048mg 04.2021 0.0000000018mg 19.12.2021 0.00000000025641mg 27.03.2022 0.000000000128205mg 4.7.2022 0.000000000064mg reduced 31.12.2022 unsure exact dose now but know how make it up. Droped by 50% twice from current dose. **See entry in my journey for dose calculation**. Redution Sept 24.2023. Reduction Jan 1.2024

Apologies for the questions I missed... Brain function isn't my strong suit, at the moment. Answers to unanswered questions below. Please help :-/

*I was on Prozac for about 2-3 weeks after stopping the Pristiq (1 week on both Pristiq and Prozac - which I guess is what is referred to as a "cross taper")

*Symptoms on Pristiq were mostly vision related. I noticed my vision was blurry - not as bad as now - but definitely off, which I had experienced with Sertraline in the past. Additionally, I felt a little numbness and haziness - nothing at all like now, but those were the reasons I wanted to stop Pristiq. The Prozac was added simply as a means to bring me off of the Pristiq.

*Symptoms during my short time on Prozac? Hard to say bc I was coming off of Pristiq... I would just say increased anxiety and muscle weakness on top of the Pristiq side effects (outlined above).

*Doctor switched from Zoloft to Pristiq because he didn't feel the Zoloft was helping my depression. ('Funny' bc it is now clear that all ssris were not helping the depression, but exacerbating it.)

Were these answers helpful?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaclyn , welcome.  Yes , your answers are very helpful.

I'm not going to confuse you more by asking anything , but the moderators can guide you when you give them the information they ask for.

Well done on doing your signature - I appreciate how difficult that can be.

You are going to get better from this , it's not permanent.    The thing to do now is work out your strategy moving forward.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you for your response, Fresh. I feel bad for being "needy" re responses, I just don't know where else to turn. 

Hoping the added info in response to the questions will help the moderators (and members) understand my situation better, and in turn allow for guidance.

Hi, Jaclyn. Welcome to SA. Sorry you are feeling so poorly right now, but your symptoms definitely appear to be consistent with withdrawal. I have experienced all of these symptoms as well. I came off 100 mg. of Zoloft much too quickly (6 weeks), taking my last dose at the end of July. I will not try to advise you as to the possibility of reinstatement, since I have had no experience with this, but it sounds like it might be an option for you. I wish you much luck, whatever you decide.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Jaclyn,  I see that moderators have responded to your posts here.  Their questions are to get a good picture of what your nervous system has been exposed to, for how long and how you reacted to the drugs you were given.  If you do decide to reinstate, they will need to help you decide which drug to reinstate and then how much of the drug to take.  Most of the time, if you do decide you want to try a reinstate, you will probably be advised to start at a very low dose so as not to further shock your system.  I know you will be better in time as your system stabilizes. 

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

• Administrator

Jaclyn, did you have any of these symptoms while you were taking Prozac alone?

Do you have any Prozac left?

It's very important you read carefully and answer questions from a mod or admin.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Alostrata - Which questions have I not answered? I thought I had answered all thus far. If you see something I haven't, please let me know!

In response to your questions... I copy pasted my answer from a post above. Does this answer your question?

"*Symptoms on Pristiq were mostly vision related. I noticed my vision was blurry - not as bad as now - but definitely off, which I had experienced with Sertraline in the past. Additionally, I felt a little numbness and haziness - nothing at all like now, but those were the reasons I wanted to stop Pristiq. The Prozac was added simply as a means to bring me off of the Pristiq.

*Symptoms during my short time on Prozac? Hard to say bc I was coming off of Pristiq... I would just say increased anxiety and muscle weakness on top of the Pristiq side effects (outlined above)."

Additionally, I do have some 20mg Prozac pills left.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaclyn,

Don't get discouraged if you do not have a lot of responses yet as a newcomer. It takes a little to build up a circle of communication on here, but it does happen, I promise.

I felt very lonely at first, too, and thought, "Well, HARUMPH, I guess my tragedy just isn't as interesting as everyone else's." Well, I was wrong and that wasn't the case at all. I now have an amazing circle of lovely people who regularly check in with me, and I with them.

Also, regarding your symptoms, I have every single thing you listed, plus many more physical doozies that you didn't list. Many more. But the good news is I have seen some improvement. I have a long, long way to go, but I am not as bad as I was 4.5 months ago.

You can survive this.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaclyn ,   you're being very patient , and I appreciate how hard that is.

All the questions from the moderators can help to work out if reinstating might help you.  Try reading the thread called "About Reinstating To

Stop Withdrawal Symptoms"   in Symptoms and Self Care.  

I know you said you feel strongly about not putting any more poison in your body , but other than reinstating , your only option is to ride it out.   And things

can get very very rough.  Even if you think your symptoms are at a peak now , they are quite likely to continue to intensify and diversify.

Would you consider reinstating?

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaclyn,

Fresh is absolutely right, the main strategy we would encourage you to think about is reinstating a low dose of Prozac - say 5mg and then tapering off slowly. Low doses can address withdrawal, limit the chances of an adverse reaction to the drug and leave you with less to taper off.

I recommend you read these threads before making your decision

What is withdrawal - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

About reinstating - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

Tips for tapering off Prozac - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

My brain is zapping/shivering out of control right now, but really need to connect with someone who understands. My psychiatrist is adament in his position that this could not be caused by withdrawal. How is this possible?! Additionally, I have spent the past ten days getting blood work, MRI, and today - an EEG. All blood work and MRI are normal, don't have the EEG results yet. The internist handling all of those tests is also skeptical that this could be withdrawal... Instead he told me that it is anxiety and I "need to focus on something else". It took all I had to not hit him. I CAN'T FOCUS. I CAN'T THINK. I AM IN A CONSTANT STATE OF DISCOMFORT/HELL. EVERYTHING I DO (OR EVEN TRY TO DO) HURTS. I could go on but you guys have read my original post, so you know... How could a doctor (renowned doctor, btw) say that? 

Dalsaan - I read through the forums that you offered re reinstatement. I'm not opposed at this point, because I am just so debilitated and miserable... one-hundred percent unable to function. My biggest fear is it not working and setting my withdrawal progress back even further. Has anyone had that concern? If so, what did you do?

Please tell me this can't last forever. I simply can't live like this...

You are going through withdrawal. All your symptoms are typical for protracted WD. Brain zaps are clearly SSRI Withdrawal. Period.

There are many psychiatrists who are aware that withdrawal can last for years. But many just don't get it. We certainly get it. 

No, it won't go on forever. You will recover eventually. You just have to make a plan. You've already said twice that you "can't live like this".

Dalsaan said, "the main strategy we would encourage you to think about is reinstating a low dose of Prozac - say 5mg and then tapering off slowly. Low doses can address withdrawal, limit the chances of an adverse reaction to the drug and leave you with less to taper off."

So either you try the reinstatement - which often works, but sometimes doesn't; or you ride out the withdrawal, which will probably last a long time. The symptoms should subside and get more tolerable, and come and go in intensity.

Either way, eventually you will get better than you are now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• Moderator Emeritus

My vote is for reinstatement as well. It's not an overnight fix, so give it some time if you decide to go that route.

In 2012 I reinstated after 5 months off and it worked for me. It took a few weeks for me to be sure it was working, but it did. There were a few days in the beginning when I swear I felt worse, but they passed. However, I reinstated too much due to my impatience, so that may be why those few days were a little off.

• Moderator Emeritus

It worked for me too Jaclyn.    Not reinstating the same ad I was last on , but starting another one.   Please see my thread , post 1.

Everyone is scared about trying new drugs - we've all had terrible experiences.   But desperate times call for desperate measures.    On top of that , withdrawal

can make making a decision seem impossible , because we are plagued with doubt , and constantly second-guess ourselves.

Please take confidence from the excellent counsel available here.  It really is the most informed place on the planet.

At some point , just take the leap of faith.   You can do it.

p.s. If you click FOLLOW THIS TOPIC at the top right , you'll receive an email each time someone posts.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Jaclyn

Here is a checklist on withdrawal symptoms prepared by Dr Joseph Glenmullen. He wrote a book on antidepressant withdrawal.

See if you recognise any of these symptoms in your current experience - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=143

I feel for you, it's difficult when your mental health professional is adamant about it not being withdrawal. Unfortunately many people are ill informed. I spent thousands going through tests for this and that before I made my own decision that's it was withdrawal and tapered in accordance with information presented here

Dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

My brain is zapping/shivering out of control right now, but really need to connect with someone who understands. My psychiatrist is adament in his position that this could not be caused by withdrawal. How is this possible?! Additionally, I have spent the past ten days getting blood work, MRI, and today - an EEG. All blood work and MRI are normal, don't have the EEG results yet. The internist handling all of those tests is also skeptical that this could be withdrawal... Instead he told me that it is anxiety and I "need to focus on something else". It took all I had to not hit him. I CAN'T FOCUS. I CAN'T THINK. I AM IN A CONSTANT STATE OF DISCOMFORT/HELL. EVERYTHING I DO (OR EVEN TRY TO DO) HURTS. I could go on but you guys have read my original post, so you know... How could a doctor (renowned doctor, btw) say that? 

Dalsaan - I read through the forums that you offered re reinstatement. I'm not opposed at this point, because I am just so debilitated and miserable... one-hundred percent unable to function. My biggest fear is it not working and setting my withdrawal progress back even further. Has anyone had that concern? If so, what did you do?

Please tell me this can't last forever. I simply can't live like this...

If your doctor thinks this cannot be caused by withdrawal, it proves that his research is lacking.  He cannot possibly deserve his reputation if his basic knowledge of medications is so profoundly empty.  If he bothered for even a few seconds to do some research, he would see that there is MUCH research about antidepressant withdrawal.

Here are names of some psychiatrists throughout the US and UK who do research and write about antidepressant withdrawal:

David Healy

Heather Ashton

Stuart Shipko

Peter Gotzche

Robert Whitaker

Mark Foster

Christopher H. Warner 

Here is a link to a Harvard article about antidepressant withdrawal:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/going-off-antidepressants

Here is a link to a military article about antidepressant withdrawal:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2006/0801/p449.html

If your doctor does a basic search of PubMed (the NIH government website), he would see that this is a thing.  Also, if he bothered to do some back-dated research, he would see that "tardive" effects is how these phenomena were described in the past.  The phrases "discontinuation syndrome" and "withdrawal syndrome" are possibly fairly new (1990s), but the after-effects are well-documented, regardless of what words have been used to describe them. 

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

I'm still thinking a lot about reinstating. So nervous and terrified to mess up my CNS even further. If anyone has reinstated within a comparable time period, I'd love to hear your experience - bad or good... Also - I've read a lot of people say their symptoms are worse in the morning... Mine are so much worse in the evening. Is that unusual? 

Thanks, everyone. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Everybody is different Jaclyn.     There is a specific type of symptom that bring panic on waking , and many of us struggle with that.   If you don't have it

and generally feel at your worst in the evenings , that's nothing to worry about at all.

Many people have reinstated within a month or two  (see useless spork , calithebold) on a very small dose.    A Dalsaan suggested , a safe dose to try would be up to 5mg.

If you do have an adverse reaction , because it's only a small dose , the effects are likely to pass quickly.

It takes 4 days to get to a steady state in your bloodstream , but you may have a noticeable improvement within 48 hours.  And after a week you can reassess.

It might be a good idea to read a thread on tapering Cymbalta , in the Tapering section.   If you do decide to reinstate , you can figure out now how to get 5mg from

your capsule/tablet.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg