SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Feeling better - green smoothies!

AliG

I just wanted to let you guys know , I have been experimenting with green smoothies, in the morning and during the day and have been feeling so much better.   Apparently, all the nutrients go straight into the bloodstream, and are absorbed straight away.  Leafy greens are the most nutritious foods on the planet, so it makes sense, that an infusion of them into your system is going to make you feel good . There is no energy loss with digestion, which can be tiring to the system.  I see this as a "win, win ".  You are getting all the nutrients you need , and also in a way that the body can easily deal with.  I think this could be especially helpful to us, as it's natural and for those who have lost their appetites, it's like a liquid vitamin pill, that's easily tolerated , and immediately available for energy.   I think it's worth trying.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Cannot stomach them..if I had a juicer and could afford would be green juicing like no tomorow! What do you put In yours?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Hey Loveand light,  I'm using, 1 banana, 1 or 1/2 apple, 1 pear, spinach, juice of a lemon to cut the green taste, plus its alkaline.  Lot's of spinach!!  Instant energy and mood enhancer.  There are lot's of variations, if you can't tolerate anything. The main thing is to get mainly greens, with a little bit of fruit, to sweeten and it's immediately absorbed, to the body and brain. 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

P.S.  LoveandLight, you don't have to buy a juicer. If you have a blender of any sort , you can do this. The good thing is with smoothies, you get the fibre as well, which keeps the blood sugar stable. 

Yes I don't like the texture of smoothies..I really don't like but if it might help..then I might give it another go..I love green juice though..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

LoveandLIght, Glad you're on here.  Give it a go . Don't close your mind.  It really could help.

Do you add water?

Yes, about 1 cup  mineral water, or you can add almond milk , but its better with water.   Let me know how you go.   Sorry , forgot to mention the water. I also ad a bit of stevia to sweeten further, but you don,t have to . I get the pure Stevia, from the health food store.  You can also add lecithin , which is good for the brain.

I have been eating 3 cups of spinach per day as part of my 3/19 pre surgical diet.  Because I want to increase the amount of vegetables, including spinach, I am going to start making smoothies.  Glad they are working for you.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thanks Compsports. I hope it works for you also. It can be any green leafy vegetable - kale, endive, romaine lettuce. These are the most nutrient dense foods, which can be hard to eat , but in a smoothie, you don,t taste them.  I find it's a good way of getting them into your diet.

I got a refurbished Vitamix in January and started daily green smoothies. My basic formula is spinach, celery, carrot, cucumber, parsley + apple, banana, cantaloupe + ginger root, lemon juice. Recently I started adding a scoop of whey protein powder and a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil, so it's really a complete meal. There are many days when I just can't deal with food and this makes it so easy to stay well-nourished. I really love the taste, sort of clean and refreshing.

2009-2011: tapered off Trazodone, Namenda, Lamictal, Dextroamphetamine, Zyprexa; cold-turkeyed Pristiq; reduced Lexapro dose 50%.
On clonazepam since 2004, 0.5 - 1.0 mg daily PRN. Three failed (too rapid) partial tapers, 2010 - 2011.
Dec. 2011 - March 2013: Tapered off 0.5 mg clonazepam (Klonopin)

August 2013: Switched to liquid escitalopram (Lexapro) and began tapering from 10 mg.

January 2014: 4.5 mg escitalopram

March 2014: One year off benzos

May 2014: 3.0 mg escitalopram

June 2014: severe depression, updosed to 4.0 mg

Sept 1, 2014: 2.7 mg

Dec 7, 2014: Can't get below 2.5 mg without unbearable symptoms. Doing an extended hold (I hope)

March 2015: TWO YEARS POST-BENZO

Not to be gross, but the other thing that was amazing for me nutrient-wise was liver. Grass-fed, cooked in coconut oil with onions, lots of mustard. IMO, once you've forced yourself through that, you really have tried "everything" to get well.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a note: I think we have at least one other thread on green smoothies, and some people have found they aggravate symptoms and are too stimulating.

So if anyone wants to try this, I would recommend, like with anything you try in withdrawal (be it supplements, or exercise, or dietary changes): start small, see how your body reacts, then work up.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

I totally agree. It's best to start slowly, as with anything we try. The good thing  about this is it's completely natural. It's food, in a different form.  I think it's very healing for the body and therefore, the mind.   It is working for me and wanted to share that.  Obviously, it's not for everyone, bit it's  a tool some can use., in their quest for health and recovery.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Just a note: I think we have at least one other thread on green smoothies, and some people have found they aggravate symptoms and are too stimulating.

Yes, that was me. But I'm able to tolerate them now. I switched the whey protein to pea protein and make one every second day. This is what goes into mine:

Rice milk, filtered water, organic pea protein with natural vanilla flavor and stevia, raw almonds and pumpkin seeds, kale, celery, a few blueberries, sometimes fresh ginger, half a teaspoon of organic molasses and I just started adding quarter teaspoon of MSM, but I can't remember why.

I think the whey protein may have been my problem previously.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

My mom makes me a similar green smoothie, blended a lot so it's not thick.  She puts in spinach, celery, cucumber, apple, lemon, and water.

Plus, she makes me a smoothie with milk and bananas everyday, and sometimes adds blueberry.

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• 3 months later...

Very nice post!! I am also so much obsessed with smoothies and keep experimenting with recipes. Last weekend I tried a Green drink recipe. My kids loved its taste and were forcing me to make that again for them.

So if anyone wants to try this, I would recommend, like with anything you try in withdrawal (be it supplements, or exercise, or dietary changes): start small, see how your body reacts, then work up.

Yep. Someone bought me a Nutribullet and I was thinking the all natural healthy things and after 3 days I was hurled back into acute took months to get back on track with recovery and someone else on the other thread had same problem. I think I used too much delicious fruit and my brain can't tolerate sugar. Its left me sensitised and there is so much in the way of veg I can't tolerate and I don't eat fruit at all. I have lots of fruit trees in my garden and have been gathering the organic plums, pears and apples I now can't eat.

Obviously many people can drink them and am jealous. But if you are new to them I agree start cautiously and keep the natural sugar content low

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

• 4 months later...

Great post, AliG. I love green smoothie! I wish I had one now.  Kale, spinach, cucumber, apple, celery and ginger mixed with ginger gizer (liquid) or water. Any variation of those ingredients works for me. I use a Nutrabullet or a blender. Haven't wanted to spend for the Vitamix or other fancy blender quite yet.

The hardest part is making myself go to the store for fresh ingredients. I use organic as much as possible. 

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• 8 months later...

Tried this recipe today. Absolutely loved it, thanks for the idea AliG!

2009: Put on Fluoxetine (20mg) and Risperdal (0.5mg) for OCD. Dose was increased a few weeks later to 40mg Fluoxetine and 1mg Risperdal.

2011: Began experiencing Depersonalisation and Visual Snow, general loss of energy and breast growth. Was kept on 40mg Fluoxetine until Late Dec 2015. Risperdal dosage varied and was kept on 0.5mg for a long while before Nov 2015.

Early Sep 2015: Began having symptoms of extreme anxiety, psychosis and hot flushes due to mixing illegal drugs.

Late Nov 2015: Psych doc raised Risperdal to 8mg. Began having severe and hellish Akathisia. Was kept being given Diazepam to cope.

Early Dec 2015: Began seeing a new psych doc who tapered me off Risperdal over a period of a few weeks and put me onto Quetiapine.

Late Dec 2015: Quick tapered off of everything due to little guidance.

Mid March 2016: Reinstated Fluoxetine (5mg), dose was increased to 10mg a couple of weeks later. Gave me restless legs and stopped taking immediately (RLS was unbearable).

10 May 2016: Unsuccessful Fluoxetine reinstatement at 1mg. Drug free since May 2016.

Diet (When Able): Low carb and sugar, high fat & dark greens. medium protein and fruit. Taking 100mg magnesium, 1000mg omega 3, 0.25mg Melatonin daily,. Drinking at least one mug of chamomile a day. Weekly Light exercise. Meditating daily and practising mindfulness.

"Come back to square one, just the minimum bare bones. Relaxing with the present moment, relaxing with hopelessness, relaxing with death, not resisting the fact that things end, that things pass, that things have no lasting substance, that everything is changing all the time—that is the basic message." – Pema Chodron

I wanted to warn you that dont't eat grapefruit! This is from AntidepressantsFacts:

"Avoid Grapefruit Juice. Grapefruit juice is an inhibitor of the cytochrome P-450 enzymes. These enzymes are known to metabolise (break down) (SSRI) antidepressants in the liver. Drinking grapefruit juice whilst you are taking an (SSRI) antidepressant can create a serious toxic reaction, because the (SSRI) antidepressant will build to toxic levels in the bloodstream!"

Citalopram 40mg from 2003-2015

Jan 2015 started tapering first dropped to 35mgFeb 30mg, March 25mgApril 20mg, May 17,5mg, June 15mgJuly 12,5mg, Aug 12,5mg,

Sep 0mg for 5 days because of stomac flu and after I raised to 7,5mg. All the symptoms of acute WD shaking, diarrhea, vomiting, barely could walk ect. Still didn't realize that it wasn't only stomac flu but I was also going through WD.

Oct 2,5mg and crashed again badly and quickly raised to 4mg. It was then when I knew my symptoms were due to WD.

Then in November after a month holding on 4mg raised to 5mg due to muscle weakness and had a VERY BAD reaction to reinstatement: akathisia(lasted for one or two weeks), insomnia, anhedonia... Drop quicly back to 4mg, Dec 3mg

Jan 2016 2,6mg( in the middle of Jan after I had been on 2,6mg for a week I tried to updose to 2,8mg and immediately had bad reaction to it: akathisia for a day, andehonia got worse. The next day dropped back to 2,6mg), Feb 2,4mg( a new symptom PGAD lasted 24/7 for 2 months after that on and off), March 2,4mg, April 2,3mg, May 2,2mg, June 2,1mg, July 2,0mg( Pgad almost nonexisting, sleeping pretty good, still some anhedonia but there has been a lot of gradual progress), Aug 1,97mg-1,89mg, Sep 1,88mg-1,49mg, Oct 1,48mg- 1,70mg,

Nov 0,65mg- current dose 0,5mg

I have tried them for a number of days but get fed up of the taste after a while. I've read some warnings about eating kale/spinach raw because of the oxalate content. Couldn't tell you anything about their validity.

There is a school of thought as well that we we were provided with teeth for a reason and that was to chew up our food for example eating a whole piece of fruit releases far less sugar than if that same piece of fruit was blitzed up in a blender.

May 2007 - October 2007 Citalopram 20 mg od. 1st Antidepressant ever taken. No problem with fast taper and no withdrawal effects. No antidepressants for over 5 years.

January 2013 started Citalopram 20mg.

March 2014 Switched to Sertraline 50 mg od.

23rd June 2016 started taper 45mg

23.07.16 40.5mg 23.08.16 36.45mg 27.09.16 34.65mg 24.10.16 32.90mg 28.11.16 31.26mg 04.01.17 32mg 25.02.17 31mg 22.03.17 30mg 14.04.17 29mg 09.05.17 28mg 07.06.17 27mg 08.06.17 26mg 13.07.17 25mg 07.08.17 24mg 24.08.17 23mg 13.09.17 22mg 12.10.17 21mg 10.11.17 20mg 04.12.17 19mg 01.01.18 17mg 25.01.18 15mg 22.02.18 13.5mg 25.03.18 12.15mg 

Thank you for raising a good point .
As we all know greens have an endless array of health benefits.
However certain foods such as kale, spinach, beets, nuts, brans and even chocolate are known for their higher levels of oxalates.
Some people can be more susceptible to oxalic acid and have been linked to issues such as 'nephrolithiasis' causing issues such as kidney stones when taken in large doses.

However, if anyone one is worried there are ways to mitigate the effects of oxalates in your diet.

Studies have shown that calcium appears to bind oxalate in the gut lumen, drastically reducing its absorption into the body.

Thus simply by adding supplements such as calcium carbonate or magnesium oxide to your smoothie, the ability for the detrimental effects of oxalic aid is reduced substantially. Please see link below.

Lets remember we are talking about natures super foods here, so this is a last resort for the minority that may be worried.

http://journals.lww.com/topicsinclinicalnutrition/Abstract/2002/03000/Contribution_of_Dietary_Oxalate_to_Urinary_Oxalate.10.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1455427/

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for this, Ali!

My smoothies - I have them twice a week after exercise, to get nutrition in right away instead of a cooked dinner.

I put in apple, protein powder (right now it's an ancient grains one with green powder in it), red powder (until I ran out)

My last one was kale and beet.

Tonight's will be fresh rasperries and banana.

I also add nuts.  Nuts contain important minerals and EFA's for recovery.  Sunflower seeds (lecithin, magnesium), almonds (magnesium), brazil nuts (selenium), LSA flour (EFA's & lecithin), pepitos (hormone balance), etc.

I make it on 1 cup coconut water, 1 cup coconut milk, so it is creamy and thick.  Add the nuts first, and let them soak for a few minutes as you add the other ingredients.  Soaking nuts makes them "activated," and the nutrients more absorbable.

You can also add spices to "tune" it to your own health:

cinnamon - blood sugar

turmeric - inflammation, tri-dosha*

ginger - digestion, 

cardamon - tri-dosha* - grind it first from fresh!

vanilla - mood

*tri-dosha is an Auryvedic term which means "good for all body types" tonic.

I use my special Biohawk ginger powder (a Queensland product, I don't know if you can get it overseas)

I love these, and hubby loves "smoothie night" as he can eat like a bachelor man - all the things like meat pies and sausage rolls and pizzas that I can no longer have (and no longer want - well - except for the pizza.  I think I would sell my soul for a pizza, at times).

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 1 month later...

Bought myself a juicer recently and I can only report benefits so far .once we finally see the light and give up on the doctors and there prescription pad ,I believe the only way forward is nutrition .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Mentor

Bought myself a juicer recently and I can only report benefits so far .once we finally see the light and give up on the doctors and there prescription pad ,I believe the only way forward is nutrition .

I agree, nutrition and exercise!

I just tried a smoothie, I have a little blender without much power so I put all the ingredients in my food processor first, then into the blender to make them smoother

I used one orange, one banana, one cup of frz blueberries, and 1/2 cup each spinach and romaine lettuce. It feels odd to drink something this cold on a cold day but it's tasty.

I think I will try some others

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

For those that do not like the texture, try adding frozen bananas. Makes it more like a milk shake

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

I just posted this in the 'sugar cravings' thread, and thought it should go here too.  People are finding that regularly drinking green smoothies works to prevent sugar cravings in the first place:  http://www.irmaschut...-naughty-treats

'When you consume enough raw, green leafy plants, your blood sugar levels WILL stabilise. Get that sorted and you’ll be less likely to reach for your creamy chocolate, biscuit, donut or ice cream.'

There are recipes for green smoothies and explanations for how it all works in the link above.  I like the idea of not having (or lessening) the cravings in the first place, rather than struggle with them daily.  Now I just have to get off my butt and go pick some greens :).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had also heard warnings about not eating raw greens, but on further reading it seems that some people tolerate them and some don't.  So if you try the smoothies and have no trouble digesting them, then fine.  If they do give you issues, you can stop. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 6 months later...

so went out and bought lots organic fruits and vegetables yesterday and started green smoothies, Ive just made another one now, the body and brain needs proper nutrition if its going to heal I think, I am certain it will speed the whole recovery process up,

smoothie i have just made contains:

1 banana

loads of organic spinach

organic broccoli (read that broccoli is a excellent brain healer)

organic blue berries (another excellent brain healer apparently)

some mixed salad 

and used 100% orange juice instead of water

it actually tastes really good

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Be careful of too much fructose [sugar] in your smoothies ,not bursting bubbles :) ,good on ye keep it up ,and to save money you can cut down on other things because you doing the smoothie .

PB

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote of immediately previous post for readability

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

will be careful PB, we have to be careful of everything at the moment, going to make another smoothie now as cant eat a meal, not had a meal in 2 days now, take care

Edited by scallywag
deleted quote of immediately previous post for readability

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy