SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Chicken's Liquid Taper Video

chicken

Attached is my rough video of my liquid taper.

I accidentally said survivingantidepressants.com instead of .org in the video.

It's a quick and dirty video, but I hope it helps someone.

Here is the scale

10 mg of drug to 20 ml of water

1ml = .5mg

I wanted to take 1.5 mg from a 10mg capsule. I would measure out 3ml of liquid which would equal 1.5mg of drug.

I made one mistake in the video, I said that I wanted to draw out 1.5mg of drug by taking out 3.5ml of water, I meant to say 3ml of water.

Sorry for the confusion.

Pardon my southern accent. LOL

Here is the link

http://youtu.be/bQF9yQkMmaA

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Moderator Emeritus

Aw, the accent is adorable. 

There are a couple of things I might suggest that might be more important as you get down to lower doses, as far as having a little more control over your dosing. Mainly a better syringe, the one you're using isn't really all that precise. I think there's a lot of discussion of syringes, who makes them, where to get them, in the tapering section (I use pipettes so I haven't really explored that, but I need to learn it actually).

I would probably use one syringe (well, pipette in my case) to measure out the 20 mL of water, and a smaller and more precise one to measure out the 3 mL dose. 

Also it appears there are a couple of points in your process where you may be losing some amounts of your drug in the form of residue that is not recaptured. You can see it sticking to the sides of the container when you shake it, although I think it looks like it's resuspending when you put the syringe in and pump it, so that may not be so much of a problem. A way to get around that is to stir instead of shake, but like I say, when you put that honker of a syringe in there it pushes the liquid back up and it probably mixes back in, so that's probably okay for now.

Also, when you rinse out your syringe, there's drug in there, and it's part of what you've measured; I would recapture that rinse water and take it as part of my dose.

Is the taper working pretty well, are you pretty stable when you hold at the same dose for a while? If not, it might be worth looking at these things sooner. But if you're feeling good when you hold your dose, you're probably getting a consistent enough dose from day to day. The most important thing isn't so much accuracy (getting exactly the dose you think you are) as consistency (getting the same dose every day).

Sorry if you weren't asking for advice or feedback or this is TMI. I wish everyone would make a video of what they're doing! I'm in the process of figuring out how to make one myself.

And I'm sure not trying to say what you're doing is wrong! You're doing great and I'm sure this video is going to help a lot of people who otherwise might not have the confidence to even attempt to make their own liquid suspension for tapering.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Aw, the accent is adorable. 

There are a couple of things I might suggest that might be more important as you get down to lower doses, as far as having a little more control over your dosing. Mainly a better syringe, the one you're using isn't really all that precise. I think there's a lot of discussion of syringes, who makes them, where to get them, in the tapering section (I use pipettes so I haven't really explored that, but I need to learn it actually).

Thanks Rhi,

I plan to get a smaller syringe when I get down to lower doses. I bookmarked a website for a good syringe that Alto recommended.

I would probably use one syringe (well, pipette in my case) to measure out the 20 mL of water, and a smaller and more precise one to measure out the 3 mL dose. 

Never thought of that. Thanks for that advise.

Also it appears there are a couple of points in your process where you may be losing some amounts of your drug in the form of residue that is not recaptured. You can see it sticking to the sides of the container when you shake it, although I think it looks like it's resuspending when you put the syringe in and pump it, so that may not be so much of a problem. A way to get around that is to stir instead of shake, but like I say, when you put that honker of a syringe in there it pushes the liquid back up and it probably mixes back in, so that's probably okay for now.

So far, I've been doing it this way since the beginning of my liquid taper. I do it the same way every night so I believe that I'm getting consistency, I hope. The big syringe does help to keep it moving a round. Some time I pump it a little to stir it back up.

Also, when you rinse out your syringe, there's drug in there, and it's part of what you've measured; I would recapture that rinse water and take it as part of my dose.

Didn't think of that either, thanks. I will do that.

Is the taper working pretty well, are you pretty stable when you hold at the same dose for a while? If not, it might be worth looking at these things sooner. But if you're feeling good when you hold your dose, you're probably getting a consistent enough dose from day to day. The most important thing isn't so much accuracy (getting exactly the dose you think you are) as consistency (getting the same dose every day).

The taper is going pretty well. When I hit 10 mg I plan to slow it down more and get a different syringe. I want to at least keep a small amount of the drug in my system through August. In August it will be a year off the Remeron. I'm doing this in case some hidden withdrawal pops up from the Remeron swtich. I know things can pop up a year later from a previous drug.

Sorry if you weren't asking for advice or feedback or this is TMI. I wish everyone would make a video of what they're doing! I'm in the process of figuring out how to make one myself.

And I'm sure not trying to say what you're doing is wrong! You're doing great and I'm sure this video is going to help a lot of people who otherwise might not have the confidence to even attempt to make their own liquid suspension for tapering.

No problem. I appreciate any feedback and advice. We're all in this together and I want to help others. I also want others to chime in on what they think. I figured that I wasn't doing everything right with my taper and the video gives everyone a chance to see exactly what I do. Hopefully, this will help me improve my process.

I hope you get your videos up soon. I would love to see your taper.

I used a simple Kodak digital camera and used a free video conversion app  to reduce the size of the video file.

You can find the software here

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

It's a video player but also converts videos into different and smaller formats.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

• Administrator

Nice job, Chicken! Delightful hearing your Southern accent.

Can you dub over the math error? Or, maybe you can put the correct math in the notes under the video title?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sounds great, Chicken!

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

You can see it sticking to the sides of the container when you shake it, although I think it looks like it's resuspending when you put the syringe in and pump it, so that may not be so much of a problem. A way to get around that is to stir instead of shake, but like I say, when you put that honker of a syringe in there it pushes the liquid back up and it probably mixes back in, so that's probably okay for now. Also it appears there are a couple of points in your process where you may be losing some amounts of your drug in the form of residue that is not recaptured. 

*Signature*

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy