SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dysphagia : swallowing and throat problems

Maybe

Ive been dealing with this symptom for 2 weeks and its driving me insane. My throat muscles feel all tensed up, not like a lump in the throat, its a strange feeling i cant describe well.

Im thinking its anxiety relaxed, but now im scared its here to stay. Its extremely uncomfortable and my throat muscles are feeling very fatigued almost from the tension.

Anyone know how to fix this and if it will go away?

I also have mucous in my throat which gets worse when i eat. I have to swollow like a billion times a minute and my throat feels exhausted. I eventually feel to tired to swallow

Whats wrong with me

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Maybe Acid reflux? I know when my TMJ acts up, my symptoms mimic acid reflux and sinus issues.

I get mucus in my throat and its hard to swallow. My lymph nodes get swollen but it's my TMJ.

Just a guess and sorry you are suffering.

Lexapro from October 2012-October 2014

10mg from Oct 2012-Feb 201320mg from Feb 2013-June 201310mg from July 2013-April 2014
Began taper via liquid Lexapro from April 2014-September 2014(Roughly 6 month taper)---0.00 on Oct 1 2014--WD began in December 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reinstated to 10mg - 10mg Tablet October 15, 2015 - Stable by Mid-January, 2016

2016 - 9mg 3/26/16....8mg 5/11/16....7mg 7/05/16....6mg 8/26/16....5mg 10/31/16

2017 - 4mg 3/06/17....3mg 6/24/17....2mg 9/07/17...1.25mg 10/21/17....1mg 11/04/2017

2018 - 0.75mg 1/21/18....0.5mg 2/18/18....0.25mg 3/13/18....0.125mg 3/27/18....0.000 4/9/18

Supplements - 15B probiotic on and off. Usually helps w/ mood but sometimes is too activating.

Try getting your dentist to fit you with a mouthguard to relieve the tension in your neck muscles . Will also ease TMJ scalp and shoulder tension

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

My problem is I swallow involuntarily. It only happens when I'm falling asleep my throat muscles start moving, it was nerve racking when it first started, now it's one of my signs a wave is coming. I also had an issue that I would wake in the middle of the night and my jaw would open and shut involuntarily, that hasn't happened since the spring thank goodness.

Took 20mg of Prozac from March 2005 until May 2014 with a couple of breaks in there, my last break was 6-7months in 2008.

Tapered every other day for a couple of weeks May 2014 and quit, only symptom was rage for a couple of weeks.

August 2014-major stress in life insomnia started, tried taking Prozac for 4 days and started twitching and moncylonic jerks. stopped taking it, wasn't my generic I thought that was the problem, my Prozac was unavailable for 6 weeks so I waited.

October 2014- took my generic Prozac for a couple of days, twitching and jerking starts again so I stopped.

November 2014-OCD make a very unwelcome appearance so I decide to start at 10mg of Prozac and it works for a couple of weeks, I am sleeping and feeling like me again, after 2 1/2 weeks insomnia kicks in and in the next couple of days the twitching and jerking start again. So I wean off in one week and that's when the problems begin.

December 2014-stop the Prozac, symptoms begin. waking between 3-4 every morning with panic, tremors in back of head, waking up to my entire body vibrating, suicidal, anxiety, eyes blurry, feeling off balance reacting to sleep aids.

February 2015-first window lasted a day.

May 2015- 2 week window (it was beautiful)

June 2015-became depressed, but lifted at the end of the month, had a couple mild waves, but can absolutely tell they are not as bad as 6 months ago.

this has been on and off for me during my taper.  I felt it last night actually, where i feel sort of like I'm being choked (ever so slightly). I took a benadryl, since I'm also dealing with rashes occasionally, and that seems to usually help. It could be the sedating nature of the drug that helps it go away.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• 4 weeks later...

In the last few months I get this tightening feeling around my throat extending to behind my ears. It feels like someone is taking both their hands and strangling around my throat. I thought it was related to things I ate. Could this be a histamine response? I was off work for two months and it went away and I started back, as a teacher, really high stress and its back full force. Could it be the stress on my nervous system. Anyone experience anything similar?

12 year on Paxil 20mg. Dropped to 5mg a few years before weaning, Was on 5mg weaned over a few months and then went off Aug 15, 2012. Severe withdrawal started Nov 2012 and have been slowly recovering. Have had all physical symptoms especially muscle, immune and food sensitivities!

I have felt like there's something in my throat, like a lump, or even a slight tightening. But I'm also having histamine issues during my WD. It could also be anxiety. So not sure, it could be one or the other in my case.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

Yes I had this one along with several other very bizarre symptoms related to muscles and nerves like feeling punched in the nose.  Mine was not related to stress but to withdrawal.  I know nothing about histamine response.  The tight throat muscles thing is gone now.  It is temporary.  I hate withdrawal.  I can't believe I survived.

A 20 year history of always a combo of 4 psych drugs sometimes more.  At last I had this awakening thought "These drugs aren't doing me any good."  I listened and at that point made the decision to taper off the last drug cocktail I was on of Celexa, Lamictal, Klonopin and Seroquel which I did in one year.  (Shock and awe.) Drug free May 6/09.  Sure is a slow healing process.

"Courage is not the towering oak that sees storms come and go;  it is the fragile blossom that opens in the snow."  Alice Mackenzie Swaim 

Not a doctor ... blah, blah, blah.  Not giving medical advise ... blah, blah, blah

I have tightness in my chest and difficulty catching a breath during some bad waves.

Also tightness over entire scalp. Also have a tic from Lexapro usage where I contract all my throat muscles. Not a terrible tic, I can control it.

Definitely withdrawal related for me.

Mostly gone by now.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• 1 month later...

Anyone experience this? My throat muscles are extremely tense all the time i battle to swallow and muscles making clicking sounds that i can feel when i put my hand on my throat. Its really bothersome and ive had it continuously for a month.

Went to doctor he said it could be allergies or anxiety..

Does this go away? Also still have clogged ears :(

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

• Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged.

NoMeaning, please search before starting new topics and add to existing threads. Others have had similar problems, please read this topic from the beginning.

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, supplement or treatment, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do.  Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion.  This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 3 weeks later...

I am so grateful for this site that supported me to assert that I'm not a hypochondriac when doctors look at me as though I am when I describe SSRI withdrawal symptoms! Thank you all. I am frightened about my swallowing & choking symptoms but thanks to your posts I am hopeful this will get better as my neurons recalibrate. One little step at a time.

Severe discontinuation symptoms whenever I tried to taper off of Sertraline which I took for over 10 years. I chose to withdraw because I knew that is deprived of it suddenly I would fall apart and be a suicidal mess, based on past experience, and because I developed an abnormal muscle movement, a twitch, in my upper lip. Finally, after multiple unsuccessful attempts, tapered myself off to ZERO! as of 11/30/15, reducing by 2mg of liquid Sertraline every month, resisting the impulse to reduce at a faster rate as I did in the past. With every reduction I experienced sx ranging from physical (nausea, muscle aches) to emotional (severe irritability). The withdrawal symptoms have been less severe as the dosage decreased. What continues to trouble me now is that concurrent to my taper over the past one and 1/2 years I have developed difficulty swallowing, worsening to the point that I sometimes choke on food and on fluids, and my throat is often sore. Acid reflux has become very severe. A Barium Swallow test has identified dysmotility and I await further eval. by GI doctor; I suspect this is related to the alteration of serotonin....?

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

after more than one year swallowing problems and throat chronic infection I have been now on antibiotics and I have been urgently referred for endoscopy (suspected cancer referral). I am worried...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

So it has been about 3 weeks since I have stopped Wellbutrin 150mg and Celexa 5mg. I tapered, a bit too fast I am learning, but have been putting up with small expected bouts of dizziness, fatigue, anxiety, etc. 

Recently, the past week and 1/2 I have had this feeling my throat as if I have mucus stuck in my throat. I keep clearing my throat and it is driving me crazy. I went to the doctor--because I have seasonal allergies--and they noted it was not post nasal drip.

This feels somewhat like a lump, but does not affect eating etc.

I have tried allergy meds, nettipot, more vitamin c, anything that might stop the mucus sensation. I have to keep clearing my throat and it is starting to make my throat sore.

Am I crazy thinking this might be a WD symptom?

Due to the time frame, my mind instantly goes to "I am going to have this forever" and that causes even more anxiety.

I am just unsure how to proceed, besides waiting.

Thanks for any insight.

SInce end of April, 0mg Citalopram Hydrobromide, tapered from 5mg Citralopram
December 2016 tapered from 10mg Citralopram and 150mg of Wellbutrin XL

I have exactly the same as you....what did the doc think it was, did he make any suggestions?

Like you I have awful hay fever at this time of year and the pollen count is really high at the moment.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus

I've also had this and several others have reported similar. Mine slowly went away over time, but it comes back during some of my waves. I wrote more about it in the related thread.

See: Swallowing and Throat Problems - Surviving Antidepressants *topics merged

Edited by Petunia
updated

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Wow, I have had throat/mucus problems too. I didnt suspect it to be related to withdrawal - but I did have a continuous runny nose and eyes while on antipsychotics, so it makes sense.

I felt like I had a permanant headcold while on seroquel.

Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.

May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg

Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.

Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016

Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

I have exactly the same as you....what did the doc think it was, did he make any suggestions?

Like you I have awful hay fever at this time of year and the pollen count is really high at the moment.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. The only suggestion was an ENT appointment so I will see. I noticed allergy-D meds might be causing some of it. Probably causing a little anxiety. I will keep you posted.

I've also had this and several others have reported similar. Mine slowly went away over time, but it comes back during some of my waves. I wrote more about it in the related thread.

See: Swallowing and Throat Problems - Surviving Antidepressants

Petunia,

Thank you so much. I guess this is just a wait and see...just like all the AD l withdrawal stuff. 

Wow, I have had throat/mucus problems too. I didnt suspect it to be related to withdrawal - but I did have a continuous runny nose and eyes while on antipsychotics, so it makes sense.

I felt like I had a permanant headcold while on seroquel.

Hi Buffy,

I find that it is a common side effect and really the only thing that may help is time. I will keep you posted!

After stopping citalopram i have trouble swalloing , it come and goes. Sometimes it feels like i have to try really hard to swallow, like the reflex is messed up or something and sometimes it feels like it gets stucked in my throat

Hi Bellisimo, i started having sore throught and swallowing problems on the weekend and had to be sick a few times, its around 9 months in withdrawal.  It was really painful to swallow, and thought my tonsils were playing up. I took some extra Ceterizine (antihistamine) (5mg) and it helped as im normally on 10mg a day anyway. Its Wednesday and the pain is very mild now almost unnoticeable.  Find it strange that it is related to withdrawal.  Relieved to know that others went through the same.  

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

Hi All,

after more than one year swallowing problems and throat chronic infection I have been now on antibiotics and I have been urgently referred for endoscopy (suspected cancer referral). I am worried...

Hi ikam, i really hope it finally gets sorted, a year is a long time.  All the best.

In 2001 - started on Carbamezapine (can't remember dose), Fluoexitine 20mg, Clanozepam (low dose) after a nervous breakdown.

In 2004 - abruptly stopped carbamezapine after falling pregnant.  

In 2009 - changed from Fluoexitine to Citalopram 20mg.

In 2014 - tappered off clanozepam.

In Aug 2015 - cold turkey off Citalopram :o

From Aug - Dec 2015 I had mostly flu-like symptoms and trouble sleeping. From Jan - April 2016 Emotional nightmare ensued, paranoia, excessive anxiety and tormenting thoughts, basically trying to manage these emotions and thoughts which are exhausting.  Lots of intense emotions followed by tears, at times howling when Im alone.In March 2016 I tried Choline & Inisitol, Vit B Complex, Using Aromatherapy, like Lavendar, Clary Sage and others.

In April STOPPED Choline & Inositol as I beleive it was giving me shakes and making me more anxious.  It also made me feel like i'd taken a benzo tablet making me feel sedated.  Reading - The Body Keeps Score by Bessel Van Der Kolk (recommended by a member on this group).

Symptoms - extreme low self esteem and insecurity, intense emotions and tearfulness. This is so so hard.  But im going to keep pushing.  Feel bad for my 2 girls and husband.  I don't want to be seen in this way, especially by the girls. Self-help : praying, meditating, breathing exercises and physical exercises.

Ceterizine (antihistamine) - I've been taking this for many years now for itchiness in my palms and feet.  I take them as and when I need them. JULY 2016 Dr Bach homeopathic remedies and 'rescue remedy'

Thank you. I went to see my GP, she sent me for endoscopy (all clear!), but because I am low with iron plus have a bit increased sugar (I did not fast before test), she has been preoccupied with find a cancer/or any illness in my body! As she said I am losing iron somewhere. So sent me for colonoscopy!

She did not listen that I have had over one year of long-term stress, driving around 500miles a week, living in a shabby accommodation,etc.

Moreover, I am convinced, I have problem with absorption, not losing it! I read a lot about leaky gut syndrome and it fits the picture.

I told her I cannot take iron tablets (I get very sick), but she prescribed me tablets! (I used to have iron injections in the past)...

She is very young and quite arrogant; does not listen at all...

So I am back dealing with the problem on my own...

I am 56 years old and feeling so old; hardly can get energy going...I used to be very active, walked a lot...I have been staying indoors most of the time...

I wonder, if the change in my life style (driving long hours, sitting a lot, hardly doing any exercise) for over one year, could have contributed to my tiredness? I went shopping yesterday, and came back exhausted. My joints are so painful, and I am constantly covered with sweat, even with the slightest task...

I have just started a new job, moved house over one month ago (still need to do unpacking!), and instead of feeling better I actually crashed into a kind of exhaustion...

Could it be related to having a lot of stress and now "just relaxing"?

It is nice and quiet here, I have more space and it is not so hot and dusty...So maybe I am just catching up and one day I will get better???

Any thoughts, I would really appreciate this, as I don't understand the way I feel and I am worried that I will just crash and die...

- 12.03.2021- doxepin- 50mg

- 6.11.2020- 75mg

- 16.10.2020- 100mg

- 30.09.2020- doxepin- 125mg

- May 2020, omeprazole 40mg switched to esomeprazole 20mg

- 2012 re-started Doxepin 75mg, evening. Increased to 150mg

- 2012, Atenolol 25mg, twice a day

- 2016, Low dose of HRT in evening, Sandrena and Utrogestan 

- Long term of Nasal spray Otrivine

- 2012, PPI Omeprazole 40mg-evening

24.10.2014- Started ESCITALOPRAM-first 5mg and then 10mg; due to the adverse symptoms reduced on 5.01.2015- Escitalopram- 2.5mg 22.07.2016- re-started reduction by 1% at a time. Completed tappering on  19.03.2020 😇

I wrote you a detailed note in your thread which is addressing your partcular situation, at least I think it is, Ikam.

This is one problem I find with having some of these posts in the symptoms forum. A lot of things people complain about are individual to THEM and the same advice does not apply to all.

Wd syndrome affects all of us differently but many of the symptoms are classic. It is the individual that needs to be helped, not the symptom. Many times how you are reacting to things and your efforts to fix things can make it worse instead of better. And incomplete signatures complicate the problem. Ikam, as I scanned your thread I saw mention of you taking something for stomach acid (I think) but it is not in your sig. That is very important to your case. Everything is important but if we don't know about it we can't give good advice. I have a medical background and I feel one of my talents is to be able to look at symptoms and drugs and stuff and make reasonable guesses as to the cause of problems and offer solutions to try.

If it is not there I can't add it into the equation and come up with something that might be helpful. So have a look at your thread and see if I gave you anything good to think about.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 8 months later...

Hey guys wondering if anyone can help. I've had for the last 2 weeks a tightening around the throat or esophagus. Its very bad. It feels like breathing is really restricted and throat is narrowed. But CT scan on throat showed no inflammation or narrowing. This symptom is out of blue and I'm confused if anyone can help id be really appreciated. Swallowing also feel tough.

I have a scope for my esophagus next week as I've had gerd before but usually this wouldn't affect breathing. Or it probably would have shown on CT scan.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Mort - this seems to be something not many here know about.  The only thought I have is, could it be caused by muscle tension, possibly related to a build up of stress?  My daughter (though not on any drugs!) went through a stage of having difficulty swallowing, and feeling tight around her throat and esophagus when she ate.  It was eased by a few sessions with our chiropractor. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

It could be, not sure, I've felt a big increase In acid reflux so maybe the combo. Don't have a scope booked yet but going to see an internist to get referral for GI Doc tomorrow. I'm only worried they won't rush the appointment because my mom told the ER Doc my acid reflux was increased from WD symptoms and it's been 30 months since I stopped meds. So the ER DOCTOR just wrote that I need pyschiatric help and this is anxiety. So his report will probably go to internist tomorrow. GOD love my mom she's been amazing for me, i couldn't do WD without her but she doesn't realize how much trouble that causes by saying that.

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh boy, yeah, you probably didn't need the doctors getting that notion in their heads.  It's hard enough to be taken seriously...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

My mom learned the hard way , I think the fact that she talks with a psychologist regularly about me who fully understands WD throws her off, she thinks more doctors understand. She doesn't realize how rare the guy is shes talking too.

I feel so alone and scared. I have nobody to talk to.

Almost two years ago I posted in this thread about losing sensation in my tongue /throat /neck area, meaning that swallowing felt extra difficult and frightening. I got used to it. But about six weeks ago I had a chest infection and mucus went down my airways twice to the point where I was choking - for about five seconds both times I could not physically take in or expel any air. It was terrifying. For six weeks afterwards it didn't happen again. However, now I spend 24/7 with what feels like mucus around my airways, and normally we would just cough this up, but it's as if the sensation is totally gone from that area and when I try to cough it up nothing happens, I can't feel anything at all, except for the mucus continuing to slide down into my trachea. Basically, it's like I've totally lost sensation in a portion of my airways area. I'm constantly trying to stop the mucus going down further but this only works half the time. When I say constantly I mean 24/7 every 30 seconds. It's so scary and uncomfortable and I can't believe I'm back here again being anxious 24/7 terrified about what the true cause may be, what underlying condition I may be about to be diagnosed with.

And I know that I'm not just imagining the presence of mucus going down my windpipe, because when I force myself to go for any length of time without trying to clear it, it builds up and I have to cough up a large amount of it.

Metaphorically, and to an extent also literally, it feels like I'm spending 24/7 with someone's hand wrapped around my throat and I'm terrified they're going to strangle me at any moment.

I'm exhausted.

I'm going to see the doctor this weekend.

Sorry to be so negative. I'm just feeling really scared and unhappy and alone lately. All the time.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Someday,

Don't panic with the mucus.

I saw my doc on Wednesday about this, because I have been very phlegmy for the last 2.5 months (by the way phlegm is harmless but annoying).

She asked some standard questions (do I smoke, how long have I had it for, blah blah), and felt my glands, looked at my ears, throat, checked my temperature and found nothing.

I was offered a nasal spray as a means of reducing the mucus in my upper respiratory tract which I took her up on.

Some people can experience excessive mucus for weeks or months but it is harmless.

Maybe in our case WD is the cause, I'm not sure, but like everything else since being embroiled with ADs, I have experienced weird symptoms I have never had before in my life.

You will be fine!

Take care,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

someday my new symptom sounds a but like yours 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel so alone and scared. I have nobody to talk to.

Almost two years ago I posted in this thread about losing sensation in my tongue /throat /neck area, meaning that swallowing felt extra difficult and frightening. I got used to it. But about six weeks ago I had a chest infection and mucus went down my airways twice to the point where I was choking - for about five seconds both times I could not physically take in or expel any air. It was terrifying. For six weeks afterwards it didn't happen again. However, now I spend 24/7 with what feels like mucus around my airways, and normally we would just cough this up, but it's as if the sensation is totally gone from that area and when I try to cough it up nothing happens, I can't feel anything at all, except for the mucus continuing to slide down into my trachea. Basically, it's like I've totally lost sensation in a portion of my airways area. I'm constantly trying to stop the mucus going down further but this only works half the time. When I say constantly I mean 24/7 every 30 seconds. It's so scary and uncomfortable and I can't believe I'm back here again being anxious 24/7 terrified about what the true cause may be, what underlying condition I may be about to be diagnosed with.

And I know that I'm not just imagining the presence of mucus going down my windpipe, because when I force myself to go for any length of time without trying to clear it, it builds up and I have to cough up a large amount of it.

Metaphorically, and to an extent also literally, it feels like I'm spending 24/7 with someone's hand wrapped around my throat and I'm terrified they're going to strangle me at any moment.

I'm exhausted.

I'm going to see the doctor this weekend.

Sorry to be so negative. I'm just feeling really scared and unhappy and alone lately. All the time.

Someday,

Have you gained any clarity as to what's causing your throat issues?

Many of us in WD seem to suffer with these kind of symptoms.

Hope you are ok?

TC,

JC

Major Life Events: 

someday my new symptom sounds a but like yours

Hi Mort,

Any updates on your throat symptoms?

Best,

JC

Major Life Events: 

Hey JC it seems to be esphogael spasms ,and after I eat it gets worse or when I breathe in freezing cold air it can lock up. When I'm tired and sleep it gets better because more relaxed. Its all from the last wave that lasted 3-4 months my body was under so much duress 24/7 I was bed ridden .I think my whole body just locked up. But I'm feeling it in my throat .I'm better now because I got it all checked out and nothing is blocking my airways so I don't panic when it comes on right after I eat. I Just have to wait for this crappy symptom to pass just like all the others in WD!

Last winter I had some crazy symptoms come on like severe body temperature dysregulation .It felt like hot flashes that would last 10-12 hrs a day plus Extreme dehydratiom for a few months.I wasnt actually dehydrated but boy did it feel that way. I keep saying nothing in WD would surprise me but it keeps surprsing me!

Mort,

That's wonderful news! Very frightening for you over that period, but you're ok so that's the most important thing :0)

Tell me about it re: the WD surprises, lol. Does nothing but keep on jangling my nerves!

Really happy for you that you're ok, and thanks for the update.

TC,

JC

Major Life Events: 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy