SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Dysphagia : swallowing and throat problems

Maybe

Thanks for checking up on me JC !

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

Thanks for checking up on me JC !

Hey, we're an online community afterall Mort! Gotta keep each other going here :0)

Too much "scary" stuff to deal with which is a lonely experience.

Next and onwards!!!

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Ya very true it's def a scary place to b!! I'm hoping this goes away soon. Really scary symptom these spasms are.They last 10-12 hrs everyday And googling it is bad . Not much treatment but if it's cause by WD than it should go away soon

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th . PPI Dexlant  30 mg taper has begun. Cutting 20% currently.  using zantac as needed.  Benzo is currently 0.10mg 

• 1 month later...

just a precaution: none of this is professional medical advice, just my personal readings and experiences as a layperson:

feeling like things wont 'go down', being stuck in the back of the throat or itching/scratching burning usually, in my experience, indicate either neurological dysfunction (from withdrawal/dosing) that makes the esophagus unable to fluidly flex and relax to bring food and items down into your stomach---a surprisingly complex process requiring a lot of timed muscle cooperation, OR (and its basically an "and/or") gastritis/inflammation, spasm, reflux, or whatever else you want to call it---your esophagus is not closing properly at the bottom and acid is able to creep upwards, which often produces one or more symptoms like a tickle, burn, bad taste, cough, sore throat, lost voice, or feeling of being unable to get things down from swallowing, which is referred to, in part, as 'reflux' (at least, over here in the US).  acid overproduction, mucus underproduction (or abnormal thinning of the stomach or esophageal lining), and muscular dysfunction are all neurologically based processes that can be impacted by taking or withdrawing from psychotropic medications.  further, sometimes undersalivation can be a side effect of medications and create a new difficulty in swallowing or getting your esophagus to 'catch' and carry things down into your stomach.

alternatively, having involuntary swallowing, gagging, biting, etc is more of a tardive dyskinesia, from the 'extrapyramidal symptoms/side effects' branch of psychotropic issues.  (scratch the 'tardive' if its concurrent with taking the drug---it just means 'delayed onset'.)  this is much more specifically and commonly attributable to psychotropic usage, barring the presence of other adverse conditions.

i have had GERD (gastroesphageal reflux disorder) for like 15 years, and withdrawing from psychotropics has caused far worse dyskinesia than i ever experienced on them---many bouts, for years, of involuntary salivation, swallowing, vocalizations, mouth and tongue movements, etc.  definitely not fun, and one of the scarier side effects, overall, because its so obvious, difficult to explain to yourself without reassurance, and can make being around other people even more frightening or complicated than it may already have been.

since PPI (proton-pump inhibitors) and endoscopies were mentioned, i feel i should further clarify: the neurological effects on muscles of antidepressants (and other psychotropics) CANNOT be fixed through heartburn/reflux medicating.  PPI drugs seek to lesson the amount of acid you produce, which can cut down on inflammation and soreness, but do not, to my knowledge, help your esophagus function with normal and coherent rhythm.  only getting used to your psych med (which may or may not happen), changing to one that has different side effects for you, or removing the influence of the medication in question will help with that, i would figure.

fears about cancer are one of the primary complaints of many people who are subsequently diagnosed with GERD or situational gastritis (and no trouble with cancer).  not knowing just whats going on can be truly harrowing, but there are some symptoms that are much more liable to produce worry from a doctor in these situations (like the presence of blood in your excretions---stomach acid or digested matter, which can indicate ulcerations in your digestive tract or tumor trouble, among other things, or, even more importantly, a significant change in your mental status or weight in addition to the swallowing problems).

ive tried about 10 different PPIs and GERD medications, and have had two endoscopies (and a barium swallow/x-ray video session) in the past decade, and this, like the psych situation, is another place where doctors have no curative measures, or even any diagnostic success with me...they just throw meds at it and monitor for heartburn-induced cancer.

i hope the doctors can help you with decisiveness and expedience, its rough having those kinds of fears and struggles.  (also to note, though---if they thought there were obvious warning signs of cancer, i dont think theyd make you wait so long for those tests, unless the healthcare system is so backed up or poorly funded that they just leave people out in the cold---not a notion i can discount, in my own experiences here.  esophageal and stomach cancers are relatively quick to produce a grim diagnosis and do not end well for most people if they are not caught pretty early, which is not always a common thing since being symptomatic is often meaning you are past the beginning.  BUT, these thoughts are not to scare you, but rather encourage you that competent doctors would not put off these exams/procedures unless they thought youd be ok in the meanwhile.)

sorry if this is an information overload---things that make me wonder if im dying is a forte of mine, with respect to my medical experiences.

Not sure which problem I have. My throat keeps filling with super thick mucus. I keep getting throat infections and other respiratory ailments. My mom is worried about why I keep getting bad coughs all the time. I'll go on penicillin or some stronger antibiotic. Ten days later I'm better, but in a week or less I get another infection and hack my lungs out.

Does anyone have ideas? I can't stay on antibiotics for a year or more. What should I do?

My mom thinks I'm still meds compliant. She drinks the psychiatric kool-aide and believes Big Pharma ads about chemical imbalances though the APA has rejected this idea since the 90's. Makes the whole thing pretty awkward.

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Right now, however I have been taking:

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

just a precaution: none of this is professional medical advice, just my personal readings and experiences as a layperson:

feeling like things wont 'go down', being stuck in the back of the throat or itching/scratching burning usually, in my experience, indicate either neurological dysfunction (from withdrawal/dosing) that makes the esophagus unable to fluidly flex and relax to bring food and items down into your stomach---a surprisingly complex process requiring a lot of timed muscle cooperation, OR (and its basically an "and/or") gastritis/inflammation, spasm, reflux, or whatever else you want to call it---your esophagus is not closing properly at the bottom and acid is able to creep upwards, which often produces one or more symptoms like a tickle, burn, bad taste, cough, sore throat, lost voice, or feeling of being unable to get things down from swallowing, which is referred to, in part, as 'reflux' (at least, over here in the US).  acid overproduction, mucus underproduction (or abnormal thinning of the stomach or esophageal lining), and muscular dysfunction are all neurologically based processes that can be impacted by taking or withdrawing from psychotropic medications.  further, sometimes undersalivation can be a side effect of medications and create a new difficulty in swallowing or getting your esophagus to 'catch' and carry things down into your stomach.

alternatively, having involuntary swallowing, gagging, biting, etc is more of a tardive dyskinesia, from the 'extrapyramidal symptoms/side effects' branch of psychotropic issues.  (scratch the 'tardive' if its concurrent with taking the drug---it just means 'delayed onset'.)  this is much more specifically and commonly attributable to psychotropic usage, barring the presence of other adverse conditions.

i have had GERD (gastroesphageal reflux disorder) for like 15 years, and withdrawing from psychotropics has caused far worse dyskinesia than i ever experienced on them---many bouts, for years, of involuntary salivation, swallowing, vocalizations, mouth and tongue movements, etc.  definitely not fun, and one of the scarier side effects, overall, because its so obvious, difficult to explain to yourself without reassurance, and can make being around other people even more frightening or complicated than it may already have been.

since PPI (proton-pump inhibitors) and endoscopies were mentioned, i feel i should further clarify: the neurological effects on muscles of antidepressants (and other psychotropics) CANNOT be fixed through heartburn/reflux medicating.  PPI drugs seek to lesson the amount of acid you produce, which can cut down on inflammation and soreness, but do not, to my knowledge, help your esophagus function with normal and coherent rhythm.  only getting used to your psych med (which may or may not happen), changing to one that has different side effects for you, or removing the influence of the medication in question will help with that, i would figure.

fears about cancer are one of the primary complaints of many people who are subsequently diagnosed with GERD or situational gastritis (and no trouble with cancer).  not knowing just whats going on can be truly harrowing, but there are some symptoms that are much more liable to produce worry from a doctor in these situations (like the presence of blood in your excretions---stomach acid or digested matter, which can indicate ulcerations in your digestive tract or tumor trouble, among other things, or, even more importantly, a significant change in your mental status or weight in addition to the swallowing problems).

ive tried about 10 different PPIs and GERD medications, and have had two endoscopies (and a barium swallow/x-ray video session) in the past decade, and this, like the psych situation, is another place where doctors have no curative measures, or even any diagnostic success with me...they just throw meds at it and monitor for heartburn-induced cancer.

i hope the doctors can help you with decisiveness and expedience, its rough having those kinds of fears and struggles.  (also to note, though---if they thought there were obvious warning signs of cancer, i dont think theyd make you wait so long for those tests, unless the healthcare system is so backed up or poorly funded that they just leave people out in the cold---not a notion i can discount, in my own experiences here.  esophageal and stomach cancers are relatively quick to produce a grim diagnosis and do not end well for most people if they are not caught pretty early, which is not always a common thing since being symptomatic is often meaning you are past the beginning.  BUT, these thoughts are not to scare you, but rather encourage you that competent doctors would not put off these exams/procedures unless they thought youd be ok in the meanwhile.)

sorry if this is an information overload---things that make me wonder if im dying is a forte of mine, with respect to my medical experiences.

Not sure which problem I have. My throat keeps filling with super thick mucus. I keep getting throat infections and other respiratory ailments. My mom is worried about why I keep getting bad coughs all the time. I'll go on penicillin or some stronger antibiotic. Ten days later I'm better, but in a week or less I get another infection and hack my lungs out.

Does anyone have ideas? I can't stay on antibiotics for a year or more. What should I do?

My mom thinks I'm still meds compliant. She drinks the psychiatric kool-aide and believes Big Pharma ads about chemical imbalances though the APA has rejected this idea since the 90's. Makes the whole thing pretty awkward.

Its possible you have a yeast infection.

Believe me, Candida Albicans causes MANY ailments that won't go away unless treated from within and lower the immune system.

I've been coughing up mucus since last Oct/Nov and its down to Candida.

Hope you get to the root cause of the problem.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Thanks for the advice, Junglechicken. I always thought you had to have oral sex to get a yeast infection up there. Apparently not!

I will look into that.

Not sure the HMO will help much. He imagines I'm "compliant" because I'm not "manic" or psychotic. Yet he assured me I must be bipolar 1 or 2 or I wouldn't have become psychotic 23 years ago on anafranil. Dummy has no idea I have gone off my "stabilizer" and neuroleptic and am still on effexor. According to his beliefs I should be very manic and hyper, not sleeping 9-10 hours out of 24. He also tried to pressure me to take metformin though I'm not diabetic.

What's happening? Are the Big Pharma mafias giving out ballpoint pens with the company logo inscribed in diamonds for hawking this drug that should only be used for diabetes that won't respond to other stuff? I'm afraid to talk to that ignorant bungler.

If I want a quack I'll visit a duck pond.

I have been on so many medications since I was 20 and diagnosed as "mentally ill" that I have lost count.

Right now, however I have been taking:

Lamictal 25 mg: I went on it in March for only 13 days, then cold turkeyed off when I thought I was developing a rash because of it. Pretended to go back on it, but didn't. Not the best idea, but I had no way to reduce the dose. Anyhow I had no adverse withdrawal reactions, probably because I was on it for less than 2 weeks.

Abilify 20 mg:  I have been on this for several years. Actually at least half the time I have spent as a meds "consumer" I have been on this nasty pill. I finished tapering off it at the beginning of 2016. Was reinstated during the 4 days I spent in a psych ward in March. Tapered off it again in 10 weeks, from say March 15-June 30. Needless to say this is not exact, but I remember I was off it before July 4 (patriotic holiday in America!) I am doing fine, although I know I may have to wait till Christmas or later to know I am out of the danger zone for withdrawal psychosis. The main thing I notice about being off is that I no longer crave sweets all the time and am losing weight without trying. Good thing since I used to weigh 350 lbs.!

Effexor 150 mg: This is the real trouble-maker. Since I have no other way of tapering I do the best I can by bead counting. I unscrew the gel capsule and count out the tiny micro-capsules or beads inside. This works fairly well with the generic time release version. Only 120 beads to count of almost identical size. Lately I have been "holding" at 20 bead removal due to some major stress in my life. Moving hundreds of miles from my old home and a bout of strep throat that wouldn't respond to antibiotics.  I guess that means I'm on 120 mg of Effexor right now. On October 16 I am going to recommence my taper since I am safely moved and no longer have strep! 

I admit now that I did something stupid. I had trouble opening the extra strength gel capsules containing the beads so I reinstated at the original dose for a week. I know it's not good to play ping pong with my brain, but I could never open the capsules without spilling those microscopic balls all over so I was never sure what dosage I was taking! Thank the LORD that I finally have the old kind again and can safely count out the amount. I am now back on 135 mg and feel somewhat better.

October 30, 2016. I am down to 120 mg effexor. November 27, 2016. Down to 105 mg effexor. December 25, 2016. 90 mg effexor. January 15, 2017. 75 mg effexor. January 21. 82.5 mg effexor. January 23, 90 mg again. Feb. 14, 81.25 mg. Mar. 15, 72.5 mg. Mar. 27, 65 mg.  Apr. 9, 58.75 mg. Apr. 24, 52.5 mg.

Thanks for the advice, Junglechicken. I always thought you had to have oral sex to get a yeast infection up there. Apparently not!

I will look into that.

Not sure the HMO will help much. He imagines I'm "compliant" because I'm not "manic" or psychotic. Yet he assured me I must be bipolar 1 or 2 or I wouldn't have become psychotic 23 years ago on anafranil. Dummy has no idea I have gone off my "stabilizer" and neuroleptic and am still on effexor. According to his beliefs I should be very manic and hyper, not sleeping 9-10 hours out of 24. He also tried to pressure me to take metformin though I'm not diabetic.

What's happening? Are the Big Pharma mafias giving out ballpoint pens with the company logo inscribed in diamonds for hawking this drug that should only be used for diabetes that won't respond to other stuff? I'm afraid to talk to that ignorant bungler.

If I want a quack I'll visit a duck pond.

As I have been learning, Candida affects EVERY part of our body.....its a fungus after all.

I should have mentioned that I went to the doctor twice, and each time she did an ENT check - no temperature, no visible PND, ears fine, glands fine.

Now because I've had recurring thrush, skin rashes, fungal nails that won't heal and a whole host of other issues...........FINALLY the penny dropped, that I had a Candida overgrowth.

Last summer my diet fell off the wagon...I consumed far too much junk (due to a depressive episode), and that triggered recurring thrush (not in my mouth).  Then around Oct/Nov last year, I started coughing up a mucus.

Went to a Naturopathic Practitioner a couple of months ago who has me on a Detox diet (NO SUGAR, gluten etc.,), and next up is a stool test, then after that a 6 week Gut cleanse.

It takes a lot of commitment to get rid of the overgrowth.

Major Life Events: 

• 2 months later...

Woke up this morning to strange throat pain......kind of like spasms.

Now I've had this before, and wonder if its something I do in my sleep.

I've also had weird soreness in and around my mouth, and as I wear a mouth guard wonder if I bite certain areas of my mouth in my sleep.  This time its the opposite side to wear I've had pain before and its in the mouth guard area on the side/back of my tongue.

Saw my dentist in March - given all clear (he also checked for signs of mouth cancer etc., as I quit smoking 8 yrs ago and I'm 42 yrs old)

Have seen the hygienist twice in 6 months (this year) for 40min cleaning session each time.  She didn't raise any concerns

I think it could be similar to what Mort experienced (oesophageal).  

Baffled :(

Major Life Events: 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Swallowing and throat problems
On 25 June 2017 at 1:05 PM, Junglechicken said:

Woke up this morning to strange throat pain......kind of like spasms.

Now I've had this before, and wonder if its something I do in my sleep.

I've also had weird soreness in and around my mouth, and as I wear a mouth guard wonder if I bite certain areas of my mouth in my sleep.  This time its the opposite side to wear I've had pain before and its in the mouth guard area on the side/back of my tongue.

Saw my dentist in March - given all clear (he also checked for signs of mouth cancer etc., as I quit smoking 8 yrs ago and I'm 42 yrs old)

Have seen the hygienist twice in 6 months (this year) for 40min cleaning session each time.  She didn't raise any concerns

I think it could be similar to what Mort experienced (oesophageal).  

Baffled :(

Have got nasty throat pain.....its acid reflux, and the doc re-prescribed Omazaprol.

What's scary about the acid reflux this time round, is that its a choking, throttling sensation.

Trying not to freak out here :0(

Major Life Events: 

On 3 February 2017 at 10:36 PM, Mort81 said:

Hey guys wondering if anyone can help. I've had for the last 2 weeks a tightening around the throat or esophagus. Its very bad. It feels like breathing is really restricted and throat is narrowed. But CT scan on throat showed no inflammation or narrowing. This symptom is out of blue and I'm confused if anyone can help id be really appreciated. Swallowing also feel tough.

I have a scope for my esophagus next week as I've had gerd before but usually this wouldn't affect breathing. Or it probably would have shown on CT scan.

Mort,

I have exactly these symptoms now, they started 3 days ago.  It feels more painful than when I had GERD last summer.....have been prescribed Omazaprol (20mg), one to be taken daily.

Am seeing if my Naturopath can come up with a non-medicated way to sooth the acid reflux, so that my throat has a chance to heal.

Trying not to freak out :0(

JC

Major Life Events: 

JC I just happened to check this thread because my throat thing came back ! It was gone for 3-4 months !

It's a terrible symptom ! I have a big restriction in my breathing.  Don't freak out ,I did the first time around as it's terrifying but I went to hospital 3 times and  nothing can be done . The throat spasms either from stress which for us is WD . No test can show this so just as u might suspect its another thing they will say is in our head.  But it can also spasm from too much acid ! The key is to know u can't choke and won't pass out!  Short breathes tell yourself your okay.  

For me I'm already on 30mg of a PPI and I still get this ! Bottom line is WD can be so severe that it can stimulate acid no matter what.   Both instances this  happened after an extra bad wave . So extra bad wave , extra bad stress = more acid  . Same like the headaches in WD are too much for Tylenol or Advil.  Same thing here . But u can try a natural solution first. 

I mean no test shows throat spasms but obviously endoscopy would show acid damage   ! But I had the endoscopy and it looked fine so basically the distress is the spasms which feel like a tight grip or tennis ball around throat  or can be in the esphogus a spasm 

http://laryngopedia.com/cricopharyngeal-spasm/

Mort, thanks so much for your comments on this :)

The sensation is very odd and very painful, and yes, the tight grip around the throat is the worst feeling.  

I woke up one morning last weekend, and felt these painful spasms in my throat.....they have also occurred further down the oesophagus.

Maybe its an accumulation of stress, as the last time I had this was this time last year.......

Its take everything we have (mentally) to get through these bizarre painful experiences.

Will keep you guys posted and see what my GP says on Tuesday....whether she thinks its necessary to refer me for endoscopy or not.

TC,

JC

Major Life Events: 

If it helps others, this is what my Naturopath suggested:

"It's unlikely that the pain was caused by one meal (possible trigger, but then symptoms usually abate). Try giving your digestive system a rest by having liquid foods for a couple of days (soups, broths, smoothies). Keep digestive system alkaline by having apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice) in water each morning. You can also take ACV before each meal to promote digestion (failing that think about taking more of the digestive enzymes). A butyric acid supplement which may help (remember your GI tests suggested this was low.  Ensure liver detoxification with milk thistle.

Look at possible emotional cause. Ask the pain what it is trying to tell you. Is it happening now because you are feeling stronger and making plans to look for work? Is it trying to distract you? An attempt for you to go down another path of possible dis-ease? Make sure you meditate and journal. Be honest with yourself, try to 'go inside' and 'dig deep'."

Major Life Events: 

No problem JC ,

It is very hard I totally agree , it's nothing normal , ive never had anything like this , wd  is so severe for some that it can bring on some crazy responses in the body . The strangling sensation is bad . If the muscle fully spasms it down right terrifying!  It hasn't happened to me this time around thankfully!  This time around feels more acidic for me . My whole body is hot. 

But ya they go further down in the esphogus too . Very odd to get used to it . Spasms wise eating food actually helped open the throat . Then it would spasm more after.  But when it's more  acid wise  and less spasm I don't know how to eat. I've done what your NP suggests and had liquids for 3 days . She's right about a few things but be careful with ACV only because if the esphogus is already inflamed it can really aggravate it more. But if your esphogus is not inflamed then it can really help.

I have something called bitters which helps promote digestion.

I think our bodies/brains are working so hard on fixing that digestion is very difficult as it takes lots of energy . Both times this has occurred for me was after heightened waves . So more focus on surviving the wave and fight or flight thus the body doesn't work properly.  I guess how could the body digest food if u were trying to run and eat a meal at the same time ? Something like that I think . 

Let me know how it goes 

HI,

Wanted to chime in as I have had choking issues even pre-medication, which got worse on meds and during wd.     At first I thought I had too much stomach acid and briefly went on an over the counter acid blocker suggested by a nautropath.  I felt terrible.   I did some research and realized that I didn't have excess stomach acid but in fact low stomach acid.  I started taking two Betaine HCL with every meal that had protein in it.  It made a big difference.  

I also realized how drying these medications are.  I wake up with thirsty and with a very dry mouth.   So I then started using a tooth paste for dry mouth and a spray for dry mouth.  These also have helped quite a bit.

My issue may be different from both of yours but wanted to pass on my experience. 

9/2013-4/2014:  After moms death, was prescribed a series of meds for short periods of time that didn't work. Zoloft, Lexapro,  Nortriptyline, Liquid Prozac, Cymbalta. 

1/2014-9/2014. Clonzapam: Given Lamictal, stopped Clonzapam at .125mgs  

1/2015-4 2017 Remeron: 41.25 -0.025mgs

7/2015-11/2018 Lamictal: 200mgs-0.05 mgs Had paradoxical reaction to Lamictal wd, broke my heart to take a benzo but wasn't sleeping. 

3/28/2019 -2/5/ 2021  Clonazapam: 0.625mgs-.00115 Med Free 

July 27th, 2022**Severe Setback due to surgery/ anesthesia. 

9/7/22-10/4/22 Trazadone 50-100mgs for sleep, 10/13/22-11/13/22 Trazadone 1 mg to stabilize

10/4/22-11/20/22 Remeron 7.5mgs (for sleep doesn't work) 11/20/22 7.3 - 12/31/22 6.3 

2023: 1/18/23 6.1 - 6/6/23 3.6  6/16 3.4  6/28 3.0 7/12 2.7  7/28 2.5 8/11 2.2 8/23 2.0  9/5 1.8  9/16 1.6  9/30 1.4  10/13 1.2  10/26 1.0  11/9 0.8  11/22 0.6  12/6 0.4  12/23 0.2.

2024 1/4/24  Remeron/Mirtazapine free 

Additional Support:  Armour Thyroid 75mgs, Magnesium Glycinate 300-500mgs,  L-theanine 

Hi Mort and Hibari,

Well, the throat pain (spasms etc.,), seem to have calmed a bit this morning, so I'm hoping it will continue to get better.

I'm going to make a soup I think and see how that goes.

The rest of my digestive tract seems to be ok, i.e. the large intestine (stomach downwards) with things functioning as they should.  Its stomach upwards that's the problem.

Yup, this is all very strange to deal with, and there isn't exactly a blanket description for these issues other than "acid reflux"?!?

Will keep you guys posted either way.

Best,

JC x

Major Life Events: 

Theres Dyphagia which is a swallowing problem,  I think Extreme anxiety or being so tense all the time can definitely affect anything and swallowing is no exception . For some reason lately I'm noticing my breakfast I have no problem with food but meal #2 has been difficult.  My dizzyness always picks up around this time or whatever wave I'm in now .it's definitely very strong so doing anything let alone trying to eat food is hard . Today I just put my food down and stopped eating.  Left it on the table.  I choked about 10 yrs ago pretty bad so I do have a really bad anxiety about  doing this .  Choking and not being able to breathe are my biggest fears. I'd take severe akathisia over this believe it or not.  Hope you're doing okay JC 

Mort 

Hey Mort, 

The throat spasms/pain went after a week, but this mysterious phlegm (which started up last year, as coincidentally did the acid reflux) which is why I am now able to connect it with acid reflux.

My GP confirmed acid reflux (the throat spasms and pain) by also advising to take the previously prescribed Omeprazole if the symptoms persisted.

For many of us with these issues, long-term damage to the oesophagus is a major concern given the risk of developing cancer.

Last Spring/Summer were the lowest points in my anxiety/depression......and when I was most ill.  So its not surprising that this wrecked my digestive system, hence triggering the acid reflux and dysbiosis in the gut.

My osteopath did some work on my upper body and chest area yesterday as I'm so tense there.  She said my shoulders were rock solid with tension!

JC

P.S I forgot to mention my growing concern over diminishing lung capacity due to acid reflux.  The peak flow test I did during my Annual Asthma Clinic this week revealed a 3% decrease in lung function since last year.  You have to blow into a flow meter 3 times, and the highest/best reading is recorded.

Major Life Events: 

If you take the PPI it will def help but we know it's not a longterm solution. H2 blockers aren't as bad as PPI so I'd try that first if you absolutely set on the PPI . I'm sure your naturopath had some suggestions ? DGL? Aloe Vera juice etc.. 

The phelm I've had aswell and like u it's always an extra bad time that brings it out.  Until we are done with wd those sensitive to reflux might still get it . 

I know I was hooked on PPI before wd and I had no acid reflux ever even with a crap diet and plenty of coffees ,  fast forward to wd and I get acid no matter how many pills I take i, or how well I eat  . Plus I want off this stuff so bad but it's so much more difficult in WD to get off it now.  Everytime I have a nightmare or increased wave my body fills with acid. 

The lungs foresure need a break  ! Yours should go back to regular strength I would think once this flare calms down ? I am even sleeping on the sofa so I'm elevated but I still wake up sometimes with throat and chest feeling hot 

Osteopaths and massage is good to loosen up,  I think in WD we are all tight like a vice . Doesn't help things at all 

Hey Mort,

I've actually lost track when this wave started or even its a wave, probably because the symptoms have morphed into a different set of symptoms which don't seem AS bad (if you get my meaning), and I'm able to live with them.

The phlegm must have started up when I stopped taking the PPIs last summer as I've had it continuously since last year.  My GP did an ENT check twice, and didn't find anything, and she couldn't see any post-nasal drip either.

Then there are the lower abdominal issues.....recurring cystitis, UTIs which apparently women can get A LOT of when stressed out.

I'm also going through mid-life hormonal changes which don't help as there are a lot of symptoms associated with that, and these can't always be picked up by testing either.  All in all very frustrating.

You and I were both athletes which makes the whole reflux thing very upsetting really, as you need a big lung capacity to do sport.  I pray it'll come back.

JC

Major Life Events: 

It will come back I believe it !   Once your clear in the lungs it will come back no doubt . And yes its so frustrating,  I always thought woman can have this tougher because of the hormone issues . Women feel bad 1-2 weeks out of the month anyway  so add in WD and holy crap it can be tough.  

I know the morphing well and yes I totally get it being bad but not as bad !  But really wd is just one big constant wave morphing .  My big wave triggered all my throat and phlegm issues . So mine started February roughly after the wave Aug-Feb  . It's off and On . I really don't know what's causing it . It's all a part of what the drug did . I still can't get over the wide variety of problems we all seem to endure after this drug.  Keep me posted , hope it improves  soon for u 

Mort 

I hope it improves for you too Mort...........will definitely keep you posted.

Am going to the Asthma clinic tomorrow to do the Spirometry test which is a more comprehensive test of lung capacity.

Since I'm not wheezing, then any lung issues must be being caused by GERD.  I don't have a cough either but sometimes when I speak my throat feels hoarse which I know is a symptom.

Watch this space........

Major Life Events: 

Okay thanks JC  ! Let me know how it goes  , the hoarse throat I got a lot when this started to happen.  The only thing that sucks is the PPI hasn't controlled my acid if you decide that route . The wd stresses etc.. I guess is more than the pill can handle . Very hard to figure this stuff out . Wd complicates things so much and makes it so hard to make a clear decision.  Good luck 

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates JC ? How are u doing ? 

My throat thing has been rough the last two days . No breathing issues or acid,  it's just the throat mechanism is an awkward delayed swallow.  Back to liquids for now, which is a major bummer,  food Is huge for the mood m I hope it clears up soon again.  Also hope you've been okay 

Mort

Hi Mort,

Thanks for checking up on how I'm doing, and sorry you're still having difficulties.

Yes, I've been ok....got a bit of acid a few days ago as I had eaten something that didn't agree.  This was followed by some throat pain which has now dissipated.

My Naturopath wants me to follow the FODMAPs diet principles.  Basically, the amount of stress I was under made my GI tract sensitive to certain types of food.  The idea is that following FODMAPs will repair the lining of the gut, thus, reducing any sensitivity.

Having said that, I just ate some cheese, potatoes :unsure: which was part of a main course.  Hmmm, will see what happens, and I ate a small amount of bread earlier - I could end up paying for eating those things later.

Still, back to the drawing board tomorrow......

JC

Major Life Events: 

Forgot to mention:

Spirometry test revealed NORMAL lung function, but no lung age (this was annoying).

Blood pressure: 110/80 (Normal)

Major Life Events: 

Very good news JC ! I think our lungs are fine ! We are alps very hypersensitive to how we feel ,so it's feels like more damage is being done then it is .Your naturopath is right,  I think I'll look at that foodmaps thing . I'm trying to consume lots of bone broths and Glutamine to repair the gut,  probiotics from food and aloe Vera juice . 

I can't wait to get off my PPI , when I'm strong I'm gonna be drug free. My biggest obstacle is the throat thing.  It disappeared yesterday and I ate 3 good meals . It's all a stress response but having wd from a PPI would probably trigger big spasms  I also have a good naturopath bit haven't been Able to see he cause of my vertigo ,it's still tremendous.   But she will help me get off this crap and restore my gut health .keep me posted on the diet etc..

• 3 months later...

I have had this feeling in the very bottom of my throat for the longest time. Does or has anyone else had this? I would do anything for it to go away. It ***** up everything for me. 

Its like a slight burning/tight feeling. 

When i speak it feels as if its pressure or something. Its nasty. 

Edited by ChessieCat
inserted ****

150 mg Effexor xr for 2 years. (2015-2017)

Tapered to zero (04/2017-05/2017)

Was off effexor for about a month then the storm hit.

Reinstated 25 mg effexor (06/2017.

Last micro dose of Effexor on Nov 25 2017.

Been off Effexor for 11 months and still feeling AWEFUL. I feel DEAD.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever had a pressure or tension in the bottom of their throat? I feel it most of the time. It really bothers me when i speak. It makes me speak very fast and rushed like i am stressed or something.  

Very different. I have had it for maybe a year now. 

Its really messed up. 

What i would do to get rid of this feeling. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obsenity

Hi Woodhull,

I would hold my breath as a child in an attempt to hold back strong emotions that I would get made fun of for. It became a problem of my "fifth charka." Doing deep breathing exercises and retraining yourself to breathe deeply helped me. I have a gadget from the company "Heartmath" that can retrain your breathing. There is also "4 square" breathing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgzhKW08bMQ

You may want to learn about the chakra system and concentrate on the fifth throat chakra to see if anything resonates for you to look deeper into issues.

I was on Seroquel from 2008-2016 because Seroquel doesn't cause akathisia (in my case) and all other drugs do.   

I am tapering slowly off Seroquel- got down to 393.75mg, Fall 2016 ... 3% taper still couldn't keep me from hospital. 

Hospital stay switched me to 300 clozapine/clozaril.

Summer 2017: slowly cut and weighed clozapine/clozaril from 300mg to 275mg over 3 months. 

Thank you very much for reaching out. It means a lot. I don't think this is it but anything is worth a try. 

Thank you again. 

On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, Woodhull said:

Has anyone ever had a pressure or tension in the bottom of their throat? I feel it most of the time. It really bothers me when i speak. It makes me speak very fast and rushed like i am stressed or something.  

Very different. I have had it for maybe a year now. 

Its really fucked up. 

What i would do to get rid of this feeling. 

Hi Woodhull,

Its a psychophysiological response to anxiety.... I had that this week and needless to say it scared me, but it went away.

The more you can turn your focus away from it, the quicker the sensation will disappear.

TC,

JC

Major Life Events: 

Thank you very much for replying. 

I have had it for  about 6 months.....

Have you spoken to your doctor about it?

Major Life Events: 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy