SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

sparklypickle: prozac and omeprazole tapering

sparklypickle

• Administrator

Welcome, sparklypickle.

Well, I'm glad to see you've given up on skipping doses to taper.

Since you feel better at a lower dose of Prozac, you probably have been overdosed for many years, with the adverse effects you've described.

It's up to you to decide whether you want to 1) Stay at a low, consistent dose of Prozac; 2) Experiment with a switch to another psychiatric drug (with its own adverse effects and tapering difficulties); or 3) Go off Prozac and learn to live without psychiatric drugs.

Your friend who reviewed PubMed is wrong: The lowest "effective" dose of Prozac, or any psychiatric drug, varies from individual to individual. ("Effective" meaning you don't complain about whatever it was you originally complained about.) Dosage is somewhat arbitrarily determined by averages.

However, the lack of "effectiveness" you noted before when you reduced Prozac was most likely withdrawal syndrome rather than relapse. Medicine is ensnarled in the conundrum of the drugs causing the symptoms they're supposed to cure and most doctors don't recognize withdrawal symptoms, almost universally calling them "relapse."

Almost everyone coming to this site has had this experience.

Please read further here What is withdrawal syndrome?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sparklypickle

• Fresh

• mammaP

• btdt

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your reply autostrata. At this moment I don't see the point in stating s different med because I already have a better mood, less anxiety, better sleep, more energy, better appetite, less sweating, so all the things I was promised that mirtazapine could do for me but without the drowsiness etc. I'll stick with 10mg for some time, perhaps taper down to 5 and back up if I get depressed.

Do you think that your need and tolerance for SSRIS changes? I can't imagine 60mg right now but I diligently too it for years because lower doses didn't touch my depression.

Oh it wasn't a friend looking at pubmed it was me. Although the prescribed lower "effective" dose is generally 20mg, and Drs think anything lower is virtually homeopathic, there are a few reports that lower doses such as 5 can be effective at alleviating depression / anxiety. As a scientist, I ideally like to see double-blind studies rather than case studies as they tend to be much more reliable. If you know any double blind studies of low doses of prozac can you post me the link? I know everyone is different but I'm hugely affected by placebos and would like some supportive evidence that this is not the case at the moment!

Sadly when I last came off prozac it was considered a relapse because I became actively anorexic after years of recovery...it took me two years of extremely hard work, expensive therapy and going back on prozac to finally get me to health. I don't know if I woukd have been triggered into the relapse if i'd tapered more slowly or not, but I think for me, it was too early to expose myself to such vivid emotions as unmedicated life provides.

reason for medication: anorexia nervosa, depression and anxiety

lustral for 2-3 years at 150mg, straight switch to prozac

prozac at 60 mg for ~ 6-7 years - initial side effects included hallucinations - yay me. 

attempt to come off prozac failed due to depression returning at 20mg prozac

prozac decreased to 40 mg for ~ 2 years

attempt to come off prozac tapering 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 2.5, 1 mg per day, two weeks at each dose: first month or so on zero dose fine then triggered into relapse of anorexia nervosa, depression and anxiety

20 mg prozac for ~3 years, attempted 30 or 25 mg to control anxiety but could not tolerate, so used valium.

March 2015, 2 years since complete AN recovery: alternate day dosing of 20mg prozac, felt like crap, switched to 10mg liquid daily, then started gradual taper

August 2015 taper has reached 5.6 mg prozac and taking 40mg omeprazole

December 2015 20 mg omperazole

May 2016 taper has reached 1.8 mg, attempting omeprazole taper to 15 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

How's the Glittery Gherkin doing today?  :)

Ah , we were typing at the same time again.  I'll read your update.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Oh hey, I found an old poem I wrote about the last time I tapered on prozac! Wanna read it? https://pickledsparklymooseprincess.wordpress.com/bolts/

Or if links aren't allowed, Ill post the words here (sorry administration, I can't see any rules saying no links but im not sure)

prozac at 60 mg for ~ 6-7 years - initial side effects included hallucinations - yay me. 

attempt to come off prozac tapering 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10, 5, 2.5, 1 mg per day, two weeks at each dose: first month or so on zero dose fine then triggered into relapse of anorexia nervosa, depression and anxiety

20 mg prozac for ~3 years, attempted 30 or 25 mg to control anxiety but could not tolerate, so used valium.

March 2015, 2 years since complete AN recovery: alternate day dosing of 20mg prozac, felt like crap, switched to 10mg liquid daily, then started gradual taper

Wow that's a great Poem..beautiful..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

And lovely blog..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Thanks loveandlight, it has reminded me of how awesome it felt the first time around to come off antidepressants (initially)

• Moderator Emeritus

Links are okay here , you may want to put the link in your signature GG.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Darned phone double posting Grrrr!!

Nah I think I'll leave it there, I don't want everyone who sees me post to feel obliged to visit my nonsense blog!

• Moderator Emeritus

Lol , you have one hour to edit a post.   Wave the arrow next to "multiquote" and you get an edit option.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

:( a sweaty night of nightmares and broken sleep and a morning of fuzzyheaded sleepiness. Boo, that's not what I signed up for.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just skimmed through your thread and a couple of things came to mind. First, this:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

As you can see from these charts, even a very small dose causes significant receptor occupancy. So these drugs have concrete effects at very low doses. Whether those effects are therapeutic or not is, in my opinion, both variable, and, in my case, questionable.

Also, as far as the "chemical imbalance" thing, it's always been a hypothesis, but never proven, in spite of billions of dollars thrown at attempting to prove it. Check out the short videos at cepuk.org, they're quick and to the point.

http://cepuk.org/unrecognised-facts/myth-of-the-chemical-imbalance/

Finally, I highly, highly recommend getting hold of a copy of the book Anatomy of an Epidemic by Robert Whitaker, which goes into this in more detail and also into the history involved.  It's very readable and exhaustively researched. I think you'll like it.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Thanks rhiannon, I'll see if I can find that book. I guess I never questioned that my seratinin levels were chronically insufficient, how naive eh?

Oh poop. Another sweaty night. I just received some bamboo pyjamas in the post though so hopefully tonight will be better. I'll let you know if they make a difference or no. At the moment, the best sleeps have coincided with spinach and ricotta tortellini for dinner :/ weird.

Um. I've had a thought. How do you know if you are hypomanic? This good mood of mine has seen me reverting to habits like contant foot tapping that I used to do as a kid, and flicking pens in my hand why I read, that sort of thing. I've also been more confident and don't seem to need quite so many hours of sleep every night (though clocked up about 11 last night...) I'm also buying myself nice things...but I don't know if that would be considered excessive...I just dont feel depressed but is this nice warm contented and slightly energetic feeling just a withdrawal trick or a bad sign? I hope not, I quite like this and my partner says when I came off prozac totally that my mood was like this and I was fine for about three months before the mood crash. Perhaps this is just me reclaimimg my own personality? I'm in a much better place now, having been through some more therapy and generally accepting who I am so fingers crossed if I decide to come off, I can stay off this time.

Oh weird question for the girls...have you ever known any effect of prozac on your periods or hormones? When I started prozac initially after 2 or 3 years of amamenorrhea my periods started up straight away despite my weight being very low...they continued until my dose was dropped and then they became irregular and when I stopped the prozac, my cycles stopped and restarted when prozac was restarted again. I Know that it can have some effect on progesterone and allopregnone levels but I have never read a case study where this happened to anyone but me! Hopefully now I'm a steady healthy weight my cycles will be independent of prozac.

Bamboo pj's are a winner I think.

My cycle was 22 days this month...which is super short for me, I was expecting another week of respite! I'm blaming the prozac dose change but am sure my doc will tell me it's unrelated...

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad the bamboo pj's helped SP, I have some bamboo fabric to make a sheet from but never got around to it, thinking I should forget about sewing it and just chuck it on the bed! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Crap. Typed a response and it didn't post. Ugh.

Just stopped by to check in on you. Keep us posted as to how things are progressing. Sending good thoughts your way:)

September 2013. Diagnosed depression/anxiety. Start Prozac 10mg and slowly increase to 40mg.

October 2013. Lorazepam 0.5mg prescribed for anxiety after complaining about nervous energy

November 2013. prescribed a sleeping pill (name?) for insomnia. took once. ineffective.

January to June 2014. psychiatrist agrees to lower dose to 15 mg due to side effects.

August 2014 first attempt to quit cold turkey Lasted August 1, 2014 until October 1, 2014

November 2014 second attempt to quit cold turkey lasted Novemember 4, 2014 until Jan 13, 2015

January 2015 3rd attempt to quit cold turkey lasted feb 3, 2015 until feb 23, 2015

March 5, 2015 4th attempt to quit cold turkey.

Mammap I'd LOVE bamboo sheets...they must be so comfy and lovely in the summer but soooo expensive! I think you've got the right idea making your own...or...y'know improvising ;)

Hi dane, thanks for the good wishes! I got another good sleep under my belt last night. Hurrah! Yesterday I felt pretty horrid though (upset tummy, dizzy, shaky, cold) but I think it's a virus and not the prozac that's to blame..nothing a paracetamol and some oat biscuits couldn't fix. Yay me for not having a panic attack about it all. Triumph!

Bamboo pj's are a winner I think.

My cycle was 22 days this month...which is super short for me, I was expecting another week of respite! I'm blaming the prozac dose change but am sure my doc will tell me it's unrelated...

There are many many stories from women about how Ad drugs changed their periods changing dose too has reportedly caused such changes. I am not sure if there is something here if you search or not.  There have been threads about it at other wd sites that are now closed so I suspect this to be common just not known by some doctors we see this all the time. 

Don't be too surprised to learn your doctors don't seem to understand a thing about your situation that too in common.  They only know what they are taught and here is a link about the studies they are taught from... just for fun. 

https://jonrappoport.wordpress.com/2015/03/30/news-vs-sub-news-how-the-game-works/

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Thanks btdt, nice to know I'm not a total. Weirdo.

Oh sleep, where did you go?? I don't often suffer from insomnia and when I do it knocks me for six. I lay awake until about 2am because I had a chest pain and sore arm (reflux and laying on it funny respectively) but my system decided that palpitations would be a great response. Eventually I got up, ate some crackers, took a paracetamol for my mild headache and finally manged to drift off. Morning came too soon my friends. No sweats though ;)

• 4 weeks later...

It's going pretty well On planet sparklypickle. I did some mini tapering from 2.5ml (10mg) to 2.4ml (9.6mg) of prozac and now trying 2.3 (9.2mg) only at 3pm today I started to feel weird...like withdrawal weird...then I realised I hadn't taken my dose this morn! First late dose since I started tapering so that's not too bad. I took 2ml so I'm not too wired to sleep and tomorrow when the peak hits at 3-4pm it's not too much. I'll go to the doc and tell her what Im up to soon. Its handy how my body tells me when I've skipped a dose though!

• 4 months later...

I thought I'd check back in. I've been tapering prozac very slowly and am now on 6mg daily. The night sweats have totally stopped (Yay) now I need to get off this med as it is screwing up my stomach big time :(

• Administrator

Good to hear, sp. Sorry to hear of the stomach troubles. Have you had them all along?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Well I've had gastritis issues for a couple of years on and off but they've got worse since I switched to liquid form of prozac. I was diagnosed with helicobacter infection and took antibiotics for that bit I still feel a bit nauseous on a daily basis :( could be anxiety related or prozac irritation, or horror of horrors, the helicobacter might not have been killed off :(

Sorry to hear about stomach problems abut I'm glad the rest of your taper has gone well yay!

• Administrator

You may wish to look into natural ways to treat the h. pylori, antibiotics can be very destabilizing.

thanks loveandlight and altostrata for your replies. Yup since I took heed of all your advice from here, I have been very sensible about my taper and I hope to be off prozac totally soon into the new year.

What do you mean about antibiotics being destabilising? do you mean by changing (decimating) the gut flora? I took another test today to see if the bugs have been shifted or not - will find out next week if I'm due another AB course - and then either way I will be stuck with an omeprazole habit as I've had to take it at a high dose for weeks now with no end in sight...one step at a time though - fix tummy first, then stop meds.

• Administrator

A lot of people seem to find their withdrawal symptoms get worse when they take antibiotics. They certainly do a job on gut flora, that could be involved.

• 4 months later...

Just stopping by to say that my taper is still going. I've got down to 2.4mg daily now. Not sure if I've slipped below the dose that actually has any effect but I'm generally feeling OK. After my last drop from 2.6 I've been having episodes of weird erm, happiness? Like euphoria or something, like I got when I first started tapering, hopefully that's just my brain waking up. Sadly this has come along with tinnitus. Which sucks. I think I have approached a dose where if I skip a dose by mistake, I no longer get gut the 3pm shakes and dizziness. Hurrah! Drs who tell me it's not possible to have a reaction that fast are weird. It's happened consistently every time over the last 14 years or so, and it coincides with the theoretical dip in plasma level where there would normally be a peak due to the morning dose. I'm just a big nerd. I used to plot the hypothetical plasma level based on hours until peak plasma level and half-life! Ah now I'm not nearly obsessive enough to care.

At what dose should you just stop taking any prozac? I was thinking 0.4mg...

It's sooooo good not to have night sweats. Some nights now I'm spark out for 8 solid hours of sleep. It's amazing! I can't believe I put up with it for so long. Not to mention the fact that I can actually think a lot closer to maximum capacity now ( which arguably is no genius level). I was so sure that prozac hadn't zombified me.

It had. How the heck did I get a degree and a doctorate drugged up on that stuff?

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I know my thread isn't very compelling and I'm not contributing to anyone else's right now but I'll keep updating nonetheless.

I went to the Dr and was told categorically that I need to increase my prozac dose again. I got down to 2mg daily, then a week ago something snapped in my head and I started freaking out about everything, uncontrollably crying and generally feeling hopeless and fleetingly considering self harm. At this point it is more important to be safe than it is to be drug-free. I'm really disappointed and have managed to go up to 3mg but I'm already getting night sweats and sleep disturbance. I'm still waiting for cbt for anxiety and I'm half contemplating taking benzos for a couple of days to shake the worst off this crippling anxiety. I know it's a short term fix but the not knowing where this emotional crash came from is making it difficult to rationalise.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sparklypickle ,  it sounds like you've gone a bit faster than you've been able to tolerate , and it's caught up

with you.

On 28 Jan. you were feeling good at 2.4mg.   The drop to 2mg (almost 20%) was too much.

I'd suggest waiting to stabilize at 2.4mg for a good couple of months , especially as 3mg is setting off adverse

symptoms.

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for the reply fresh. My gp actually wants me to go back up to at least 5mg preferably 10 but I really don't want to.

I'm not sure that this is an effect of withdrawal, but perhaps it is rather a signal of relapse. I had been at 2.4 for many weeks, then 2.2 for 3 weeks then 2mg for a week or so before it got way toomuch to handle. I think I'll stick out 3mg for a couple of weeks and see if the sweating subsides. At 2.4 I was already struggling to control anxiety but I didn't mention it because I am so determined to get off this medication that I try to ignore the blatantly obvious issues with doing so :(

I thought I could handle having emotions but after so many years of having them dampened, I just dont know what to do with them. It's just way too intense.

• Moderator Emeritus

Lots of people find they need to really slow down those last few mgs.    

The nature of delayed w/d symptoms means that when symptoms present , it's often from decreases a month earlier.

If you were struggling to control anxiety at 2.4mg , you'd probably gotten there too fast , and any decreases since

have compounded the situation.

If 3mg gets too much , you know how to titrate down.  

Try to stabilize on the lowest amount possible , perhaps 2.8mg?

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks fresh, I'll bear that in mind. I guess I just figured that 2mg is basically nothing, so surely it wouldn't matter as much how fast I dropped off from there.... I would have been taking 3mg about three or four months ago, at which point anxiety was already sufficiently problematic for me to ask for a referral.

To be honest, anxiety has been an issue to varying degrees since I took my dose below 40mg years ago, but I just hated the side effects. If I was to revert to the last stable version of sparkypickle that would be 40mg which I can in no way tolerate ever again having tapered down (it was tried a couple of years ago).

Part of the problem is that I can't afford to be signed off work sick because I made the wrong call on my prozac dose...too low and I get withdrawal or relapse and too high and I get side effects that wreck my ability to work.

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. Once I'm through the upcoming therapy I'll reconvene with tapering but for now I just need to stabilise at a point that isn't dangerous or debilitating. :/