If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo

SelsdonMan Successful tapering off from Citalopram after expediency suicidal / homicidal thoughts.

citalopram suicidal homicidal thoughts tapering

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SelsdonMan

SelsdonMan

Getting started

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom.

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

I was prescribed Citalopram (Celexa) by my doctor in London UK, when I was depressed during a period of unemployment.

I took it for 3 years, taking 20mg once a day. I never felt like it did much good helping me, and it made me feel a bit spaced out, not all there.

After 2 years on Citalopram I started to have some suicidal thoughts, but far more homicidal thoughts. I wanted to kill people. I had thoughts of driving head on into traffic, pushing people under trains, killing my partner, my dogs and burning the house down. I had never had these kinds of thoughts or ideas before, and was convinced they were a side-effect of the anti-depressant Citalopram which i was taking.

I told my doctor about my suicidal/ homicidal thoughts and he was told me to double my dose of citalopram!

I told him that the drugs were the problem, not me!

I then slowly reduced my dose once each week for 10 weeks, taking the drug on alternate days, and then cutting the pill in half and only taking it on alternate days.

Every time I reduced the dose I woke up the next day with cramps in my intercostal muscles? (muscles between my ribs), feeling very sore and stiff, like I'd been kicked in the ribs.
I also felt quite sharp electric shock; in my neck and shoulders, and had some jerky twitches of my neck and shoulders from time to time.

The symptoms went away after day or two, until the next time I reduced my dose.

After 10 weeks I was off of Citalopram completely, and have been off them for 5 years now.

It took about 3- 6 months for me to feel normal again after coming off of Citalopram,

My life is much better without Citalopram, and I have had NO suicidal or homicidal urges or thoughts since I gave up the SSRI drug.

I do not think doctors are not helping their patients by drugging them with SSRI's. 

#2 abassin

abassin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

Thank you for posting this. I had my daughter in August and in Nov went on Celexa- 15 mg. I started weaning off this monday and am going to go down 2.5 mg a week -- I am having fearful thoughts about 'am i doing the right thing by getting off it' and obviously with withdrawl symptoms it sometimes feels 'wrong' to be weaning.  I am happy to see i am not alone and that this is not the 'magic drug' that makes my life managable. I dont know what life will be like with a baby and without the meds. Looking for reassurance.

Amanda  :D

Pondering next med if any....

Celexa 15 mg Nov 2014-March 2015...weaned off 1 mg at a time (was too hard otherwise) and finished June 2015

Took effexor 2004 for 1 year -weaned off after 12 mos

wellbutrin 3 months 2012

#3 LoveandLight

LoveandLight

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:39 PM

That's brilliant you had a short post taper withdrawal..

Happy for you.
2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

#4 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,878 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:15 PM

Thank you, SelsdonMan. Can you tell us more about your symptoms and how they went away? Which went away first? Did anything help you recover?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#5 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • LocationReading, UK and also Southwest, UK

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

I was prescribed Citalopram (Celexa) by my doctor in London UK, when I was depressed during a period of unemployment.

I took it for 3 years, taking 20mg once a day. I never felt like it did much good helping me, and it made me feel a bit spaced out, not all there.

After 2 years on Citalopram I started to have some suicidal thoughts, but far more homicidal thoughts. I wanted to kill people. I had thoughts of driving head on into traffic, pushing people under trains, killing my partner, my dogs and burning the house down. I had never had these kinds of thoughts or ideas before, and was convinced they were a side-effect of the anti-depressant Citalopram which i was taking.

I told my doctor about my suicidal/ homicidal thoughts and he was told me to double my dose of citalopram!

I told him that the drugs were the problem, not me!

I then slowly reduced my dose once each week for 10 weeks, taking the drug on alternate days, and then cutting the pill in half and only taking it on alternate days.

Every time I reduced the dose I woke up the next day with cramps in my intercostal muscles? (muscles between my ribs), feeling very sore and survivingantidepressants.org339;d been kicked in the ribs.
I also felt quite sharp electric shock; in my neck and shoulders, and had some jerky twitches of my neck and shoulders from time to time.

The symptoms went away after day or two, until the next time I reduced my dose.

After 10 weeks I was off of Citalopram completely, and have been off them for 5 years now.

It took about 3- 6 months for me to feel normal again after coming off of Citalopram,

My life is much better without Citalopram, and I have had NO suicidal or homicidal urges or thoughts since I gave up the SSRI drug.

I do not think doctors are not helping their patients by drugging them with SSRI's. 

I agree with you that doctors prescribe SSRIs WAY too quickly.  I WISH I had asked about side-effects etc before taking the darn things.  Guess I wasn't thinking straight at the time.

My doctor insists that he has to weigh up the risk regards having a depressive patient un-drugged.  However, the side effects and subsequent withdrawal are far worse than the depression itself.

It is easier for them if their patients end up like zombies, pile on weight and don't leave their homes.

Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 4th Jan 2017. Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as diagnosis of Systemic Candida. 24 March 2017 DETOX started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut.
Plan to re-start taper (liquid Cipralex/Escitalopram)

#6 SquirrellyGirl

SquirrellyGirl

Gold star

• Moderators
  • 1,347 posts
  • Locationnear Fresno, CA

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:41 PM

Hi SelsdonMan, 

Thank you for sharing your success story and congratulations on getting off and feeling better than on the drug!  It is shocking that you had those dark feelings, and that your doc wanted to up your dose!  So glad that you figured it out!

I have been on another forum where people ask questions about the drug they are on, and so many posts are about starting citalopram and having horrid side effects, begging for reassurance about how long it will last.  More than once people have mentioned feeling suicidal!  Most of the "support" is from people saying "hang in there - it takes a few months before it starts to work" and I think, my god, what insanity to sit with feeling suicidal or not being sure they can go on like this, and having people encourage them to keep going!

I've also seen posts from people who say they tried to come off, had horrendous withdrawal so went back on and never want to come off again, more insanity!

I see a strong correlation between the side effects and the withdrawal symptoms, but the withdrawal symptoms can hang on a heck of a lot longer.  If only people could be told that what they are feeling going on will be magnified multiple times over trying to get off, maybe they'd decide not to take the stuff!

Again, so glad you got off and are enjoying life without it!

SG

Prozac 1995-1999, don't remember the dosage; Wellbutrin 1999-2002? Don't remember dosage though it was in the 300 mgs range
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Did fast taper, don't remember details, around August 2014.
Took Sam-E 200 mg AM and 500 mg L-tryptophan PM Sept.2014 to January 2015

Doing poorly, put on Viibryd 10 mg for 1 wk, 20 mg for several days, BAD ANXIETY, fast taper to 0 in a week; back on Sam-E 200 mg AM and L-tryptophan 500 mg PM until April 10, 2015; doing very badly, put on Remeron 7.5 mg start April 15-April 30, 2015; Increased Remeron from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly,

June 1 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  On p-doc's orders went up to 75 mg Effexor June 11-12, then back to 37.5 mg when I realized all the hell I had been through before was WD from Effexor!  Joined SA and began tapering both too soon one month later.

8/22/15: Effexor to 30.75 mg, Remeron to 22 mg. 9/9/15 Effexor 30 mg/Remeron 21 mg. 9/24/15: Remeron 19 mg. 10/25/16: Remeron 17 mg. 11/14/15:  Effexor 28.5 mg 12/2/15: Remeron 16 mg. 12/5/15: Effexor 28.1 mg. 12/17/15: Remeron 15 mg. 1/26/16: Remeron 14 mg. 3/22/16, Remeron 13.5 mg and Effexor 25.9 mg (had nudged it down by fraction of a mg since Dec).  4/28/16: Remeron 13 mg, Effexor 25.5 mg.  5/21/16: Remeron 12 mg, Effexor 24.75 mg.  6/17/16, Effexor 23.25 mg, Remeron 11.6 mg. 7/12/16:  Remeron 11 mg, Effexor 22.12 mg.  9/22/16:  Effexor 19.5 mg, Remeron 9 mg

My intro: http://survivinganti...e-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

#7 freespirit123

freespirit123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:06 PM

Hi all. I'm tapering off of Celexa as well. Been on it for about 16 months at 40mg. Started the taper in jan. Count down by 5mg each week so I'm now on 10mg. Some might say this is a fast taper but Bc I'm taking lots of D3, B12 and fish oils, my taper has been easy.

So question to you all who have been on this and now off, do you take a supplement? How do you deal with life? I lead a very stressful life and I have OCD and I can't control my obsessive thoughts and worry. I'm wanting to try 5htp.

I'm just desperately wanting to find someone who's been down the meds route but are successful with supplements now?

It'll suck but if this doesn't work I will just have to get back on Celexa for good. I loved Celexa and it worked very well for me!
Never been on a drug in my life, Had UTI was put on several antibiotics & lost my sleep.
Seroqoil in Sept '15
Was put on Ativan &/or Klonopin, stopped both Lunesta in Aug '15 3mg
Celexa since Oct '15 40mg
UPDATE as of Aug 15,2016
OFF ALL except celexa 40mg 🙏
Supplements: Fish Oil, 1000mg D3, 500mg B12, Probiotics, prebiotics, Standard Process Hypothalamus PMG, Theanine serene with relora
Very spiritual and meditate daily. Positive thinking can accomplish a lot! READ Effortless Sleep Method, life changing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: citalopram, suicidal, homicidal thoughts, tapering