SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

someday: tingling / pin-prick / burn-y sensations around body/face

someday

Hey everyone,

I was on Lexapro from February 2009 to December 2014, on varying doses. I tried a few times during that period to wean myself off, but with terrible results (panic got worse, horrible side-effects, etc.)

In December 2013, I was at my GP for a throat infection, and he saw that I was still on Lexapro and recommended that I start to wean myself off it, by taking 10mg then 5mg then 10mg then 5mg on alternating days, instead of 10mg every day. And I was in a really good place in my life, mentally, at the time, so I decided to go for it!

From January 2014 to December 2014, I weaned myself off, to the point where I was taking 5mg every third day. And then finally, I stopped cold turkey.

It has been almost 3 months without any Lexapro whatsoever.

For the first two months, I used to find it impossible to get to sleep, because I felt like I was going to stop breathing, and if I did get to sleep, then I would wake up with a bolt, feeling like I was choking, even though I wasn't. I told myself, though, that it was worth going through this if it meant not being on Lexapro anymore. Now, that symptom has almost subsided completely, although some nights it comes back. But I wasn't stressing myself out over it, because, as I said, I was willing to put up with it temporarily if it meant being off the tablets for good.

Anyway, around 6 weeks into the cold turkey stage, I started experiencing tingling in my right thumb, which felt like I was being pricked gently by a needle in rapid succession. It would come and go. I went on to experience random gentle tingling and pin-prick sensations in different parts of my body, including around my eye, my cheeks, my lips, my arms, my torso, my groin, my genitals, my thighs, my legs and my feet. They don't feel like pins-and-needles, and I don't recall ever having them before. I've had pins and needles around my body before, when anxious, but this feels a lot different.

I would experience these for a few moments, a few times per day. I started to worry that it was something like MS. So I went to my GP and I am having an MRI done next weekend. I have read that MS is very difficult to diagnose, so even if the tests come back OK, it doesn't mean I don't have it.  So obviously, this is all making me feel depressed and anxious.

It's also confusing because there are other things going on which may be causing the problem. For example, about 4 weeks before this began, I started weight lifting in the gym three times a week for the first time in my life. So there could be something going on there with my muscles. Also my posture isn't very good, so there could be trapped nerves in my neck area, causing this. 

For the past two nights, as I have laid down to go to sleep in bed, I have been experiencing that feeling that my throat was closing up. Last night, I dreamed that my throat was been squeezed closed and I was choking and this actually woke me up, and I felt like I was choking literally, and couldn't get back to sleep.

Basically, what I'm asking is have any of you experienced these tingling symptoms before and did you ever figure out what was causing them? Thanks :-)

TL;DR: Gentle pin-prick sensations, tingling sensations, sometimes slight burning sensations, occurring randomly and sporadically in different parts of my body including around the eye, nose, cheeks, lips, hands, arms, torso, groin, genitals, thighs, legs, feet. This began 6 weeks after I stopped taking Lexapro for good and 4 weeks after I started weight-lifting in the gym regularly. Anyone else? Thanks!

Edited by scallywag
tags
2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• someday

• clearday

• LexAnger

• Purplestars22

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like paraesthesia, I used to get this all the time while on medication and still do occasionally. I'm sure I've read of lots of people who get it in withdrawal, completely normal albeit uncomfortable.

Yes, sounds typical of the many delayed onset Lexapro withdrawal symptoms. (and other SSRIs too).

Others here have reported burning skin sensations accompanying the paresthesia from Lexapro withdrawal:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7762-ikam-tapering-escitalopram/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6217-burning-skin/

Also common with Lexapro, and what I had, is an insomnia wave hitting six months to a year after stopping; accompanied by weird brain sensations.

Also common with Lexapro, and what I've had, is delayed onset head pressure/ear ringing/ear popping noises; hit me at ten months out, accompanied by left side body numbness and scalp numbness. 

My Lexapro withdrawal symptoms are going away, and improving over time as my body heals.

Weird stuff. I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't going through it myself.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Hey, I'm 3 years off sertraline/zoloft and still have pins and needles sensations and wake up most nights unable to feel my arms or legs. It all started for me when on the drugs and has continued.

Had taken sertraline and Prozac for approx 6 weeks each in 2001 and 2006. Stopped c/t both times no prob. October 2011 started sertraline again. December 2011 started getting weird symptoms (stomach ache and numb limbs in my sleep) so decided I wanted off the 50mg sertraline. Cut in half in december and reduced to 25mg. Knew I was in trouble as went into withdrawals. Managed to stabilise quickly though and thought I could quickly come off 25mg. Stopped the 25mg in march 2012. Went into withdrawal and experiencing for almost 3 years now.

Hey, I'm 3 years off sertraline/zoloft and still have pins and needles sensations and wake up most nights unable to feel my arms or legs. It all started for me when on the drugs and has continued.

Wow, that sucks. Must be scary?

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.

Yes sure does suck. I'm not convinced this will ever go away for me. It wasn't so much a wd issue but something that started during the short time I was on the sert. That was actually one of the reasons I stopped taking it in the first place. During the first year of wd the pins and needles numbness and burning affected me during my waking hours then it moved to my sleep where most nights it wakes me. I mention to doctor all the time but they have never seemed to worry or send me for further tests.

Had taken sertraline and Prozac for approx 6 weeks each in 2001 and 2006. Stopped c/t both times no prob. October 2011 started sertraline again. December 2011 started getting weird symptoms (stomach ache and numb limbs in my sleep) so decided I wanted off the 50mg sertraline. Cut in half in december and reduced to 25mg. Knew I was in trouble as went into withdrawals. Managed to stabilise quickly though and thought I could quickly come off 25mg. Stopped the 25mg in march 2012. Went into withdrawal and experiencing for almost 3 years now.

Yes sure does suck. I'm not convinced this will ever go away for me. It wasn't so much a wd issue but something that started during the short time I was on the sert. That was actually one of the reasons I stopped taking it in the first place. During the first year of wd the pins and needles numbness and burning affected me during my waking hours then it moved to my sleep where most nights it wakes me. I mention to doctor all the time but they have never seemed to worry or send me for further tests.

Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better for you. Maybe there's another issue causing it that your doctors are neglecting to check for, something treatable. Maybe ask them to send you for tests?

Yes, sounds typical of the many delayed onset Lexapro withdrawal symptoms. (and other SSRIs too).

Others here have reported burning skin sensations accompanying the paresthesia from Lexapro withdrawal:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7762-ikam-tapering-escitalopram/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6217-burning-skin/

Also common with Lexapro, and what I had, is an insomnia wave hitting six months to a year after stopping; accompanied by weird brain sensations.

Also common with Lexapro, and what I've had, is delayed onset head pressure/ear ringing/ear popping noises; hit me at ten months out, accompanied by left side body numbness and scalp numbness. 

My Lexapro withdrawal symptoms are going away, and improving over time as my body heals.

Weird stuff. I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't going through it myself.

I'm glad your symptoms are going away!

You've no idea how much I'm hoping and praying that my symptoms are as a result of the SSRI withdrawal, because being an anxious hypochondriac is really NOT fun. :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome someday,

I moved your introductory post in the symptoms forum to our Introductions/Update section. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

So is it right that you were on Lexapro for 6 years, then you reduced the dose over about a year by taking smaller doses on alternate days and jumped from 5mg 3 months ago?

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising.  We would also suggest tapering much lower that 5mg of lexapro before stopping.  Are you having any other symptoms besides the paresthesia?

Here are other topics which may help:

Skin Issues

Pins & Needles & Numbness, Paresthesia

I'm glad you found the site.

Petunia

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm glad your symptoms are going away!

You've no idea how much I'm hoping and praying that my symptoms are as a result of the SSRI withdrawal, because being an anxious hypochondriac is really NOT fun. :(

Just be on the lookout for strange things that will pop up over the next year. 

It's great that you found this website, because now you don't have to wonder what is happening to you - it is withdrawal.

It may not be so bad, since you weren't on for so long, but it could still be significant.

Remember, no matter what symptoms pop up, try not to be alarmed, it is likely withdrawal.

Lexapro withdrawal is dynamic and changing. It comes and goes out of nowhere, as the body restores itself to normal and heals.

It can take quite some time.

Insomnia, weird brain sensations, pins and needles, ear ringing, head pressure, all classic Lexapro withdrawal within first year.

You may or may not experience those symptoms. 

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

@Clearday: Thanks so much for all that info, I really appreciate it.

Part of what's scaring me is that while there are lots of reports of people experiencig tingling sensations, they all seem to be in the hands and feet. But I am experiencing them everywhere - my eyes, my torso, groin, and now the latest one is stinging inside my nose, like actually inside it. And I can't find anyone else reporting similiar sensations. So I'm fearing the worst at the moment, things like permanent degenerative diseases, etc. I'm getting it checked by medical professionals but it's taking time and the waiting is killing me. I hate that I am back in the depths of despair all over again.

I'm also annoyed at self-diagnosis websites such as rightdiagnosis.com for convincing me I have Multiple Sclerosis. An awful lot of those sites more or less said word for word "Your symptoms means you probably have MS." I find that infuriating, because many people like myself are susceptible to hypochondria and I think it's so incredibly irresponsible.

There are quite a few people on here reporting similar symptoms as yours - burning, tingling, pins and needles, all over the body, on only parts of the body - during withdrawal from these meds.

Since you just stopped Lexapro a couple months ago, to me its sounds like your symptoms are arriving right on cue.

Years ago, I spent a lot of time wondering what the heck was causing my symptoms of what I now know to be Prozac withdrawal. I researched, did so many tests, read so much material, all false leads. 

It was the Prozac WD all along, and it all got mostly better within a couple years, on its own timetable.

This time, I have no doubt that all the various symptoms I've had over the past year is Lexapro WD. So many people on here reporting the same things, at the same times during WD, I don't need to wonder. There's just no doubt. For that, I am grateful. 

24 months SSRI-free  

@Clearday

I'm happy for you that your symptoms have subsided. And thanks for talking to me about this, it has really helped :-)

I went to a GP today, and she told me that my symptoms are somewhat typical of people who have finished taking Lexapro. She said that she doesn't think it's anything serious. I'm getting blood tests done in the morning, and if they don't show up anything then she's going to send me to a neurologist. She said that she's only sending me to a neurologist because she thinks that if I don't get fully tested then I will just continue worrying and being anxious about it, but I think she was just saying that to help me stay calm :-)

• Administrator

Welcome, someday.

Do you have any other symptoms than the tingling and the sensation as you're going to sleep?

It's an unusual doctor who will acknowledge withdrawal syndrome, as your doctor did.

If these symptoms become very bothersome, you may wish to try reinstating a very small amount of Lexapro, such as 0.5mg-1mg, since you went off so irregularly.

Otherwise, you'll have to be patient and allow these symptoms to go away by themselves. This could take a long time.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Welcome, someday.

Do you have any other symptoms than the tingling and the sensation as you're going to sleep?

It's an unusual doctor who will acknowledge withdrawal syndrome, as your doctor did.

If these symptoms become very bothersome, you may wish to try reinstating a very small amount of Lexapro, such as 0.5mg-1mg, since you went off so irregularly.

Otherwise, you'll have to be patient and allow these symptoms to go away by themselves. This could take a long time.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Thank you, Altostrata,

I can't think of any other symptoms I've been having other than the random skin sensations (tingling / pin-prick / prickly / burn-y) which have occurred in almost every part of my body. 

While my GP did acknowledge that people in SSRI withdrawal experience such symptoms, she made it pretty obvious that she thinks they can only happen within the first few weeks of withdrawal (i.e. after 3 weeks or so, you can't get any withdrawal symptoms.)

My weaning process took place over 12 months, and went roughly something like this:

Months 1-3: regular dose, half dose every other day.

Months 4-6: Regular dose, half dose, half dose, Regular dose, half dose, half dose, .......and so on.

Months 7-9: Regular dose, half dose, day off, regular dose, half dose, day off, ....and so on.

Months 10: Half dose, day off, half dose, day off, half dose, day off......

Month 11: Half dose, day off, day off, Half dose, day off, day off......

Month 12: Half dose, three days off, Half dose, three days off, 

Month 13: Nothing

It was something roughly along those lines.

About 4-6 weeks after my last tablet, these symptoms began, and they have been progressively ongoing for 2 months now.

I am awaiting the results of blood tests, and if they don't show anything, then the next step is to see a neurologist. I'm worried that it's actually something serious like a chronic degenerative disease and the worry is taking over my life at the moment.

While my GP did acknowledge that people in SSRI withdrawal experience such symptoms, she made it pretty obvious that she thinks they can only happen within the first few weeks of withdrawal (i.e. after 3 weeks or so, you can't get any withdrawal symptoms.)

Your GP is very wrong, that's for sure - it's well established that SSRI WD can last for years:

And remember to be on the lookout for more withdrawal waves like insomnia, head pressure in the months to come, as is common with Lexapro and other SSRIs. Your GP is clueless - also common. 

It makes sense that your Lexapro withdrawal symptoms make you think you have a chronic degenerative disease.

So many of us wasted precious time chasing false leads, when it should have been obvious that SSRI WD was causing the symptoms.

IMO - What you have is nerve damage from Lexapro that is not degenerative but will slowly heal to a greater or lesser degree over time.

Haven't you read the dozens of similar cases like yours on this forum? Your symptoms sound like just another typical Lex WD case, or other SSRI WD.

And that's bad enough -

24 months SSRI-free  

Your GP is very wrong, that's for sure - it's well established that SSRI WD can last for years:

And remember to be on the lookout for more withdrawal waves like insomnia, head pressure in the months to come, as is common with Lexapro and other SSRIs. Your GP is clueless - also common. 

It makes sense that your Lexapro withdrawal symptoms make you think you have a chronic degenerative disease.

So many of us wasted precious time chasing false leads, when it should have been obvious that SSRI WD was causing the symptoms.

IMO - What you have is nerve damage from Lexapro that is not degenerative but will slowly heal to a greater or lesser degree over time.

Haven't you read the dozens of similar cases like yours on this forum? Your symptoms sound like just another typical Lex WD case, or other SSRI WD.

And that's bad enough -

Thanks for the info, clearday.

I'm furious with the situation, to be honest. So many of us fearing the worst because the medical industry is holding information back from us about anti-depressants and their side effects.

I can only describe the fear I'm feeling at the moment as hell on earth. I wasn't even worried about anything until these symptoms began. And now, I know that I won't be able to really relax until I get test results. I wish I could - although, all the info I'm getting on this website has calmed me down somewhat.

• Administrator

You have a common withdrawal syndrome called parathesia.

Few doctors have any awareness of the severity and extent of withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

What would your thoughts be on reinstating a low dosage? I have some 10mg tablets left. The symptoms are becoming uncomfortable, mainly emotionally (the symptoms are now almost constant and every one is like a reminder to be anxious) but also physically. Liquid Lexapro is not available here in Ireland.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  someday , welcome.

I wondered if the anxiety you've been having is part of the withdrawal syndrome as well as the physical sensations.

Reinstating a small amount can help to relieve w/d symptoms.   Alto suggested trying between 0.5 and 1mg to start.  

There is a thread called "How to Make Liquid from Tablets or Capsules" in Tapering which explains what to do with your tablets.

It would be good to try and avoid anything further developing to give you a chance to stabilize.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi  someday , welcome.

I wondered if the anxiety you've been having is part of the withdrawal syndrome as well as the physical sensations.

Reinstating a small amount can help to relieve w/d symptoms.   Alto suggested trying between 0.5 and 1mg to start.  

There is a thread called "How to Make Liquid from Tablets or Capsules" in Tapering which explains what to do with your tablets.

It would be good to try and avoid anything further developing to give you a chance to stabilize.

Best wishes ,  Fresh

Thank you, Fresh.

It's probably all part of the withdrawal syndrome. Blood tests today came back fine (not that I was expecting them to show up anything anyway.) I will be having an MRI on Tuesday to rule out any other causes of the prickly sensations and tingling, So, within 10 days I will more or less have confirmation of the cause. I am sure it is withdrawal syndrome, but being an anxiety patient I am obviously worried about other possible causes, and I think it's good to get checked just in case.

I will read that thread about making liquid from tablets. Thank you.

Hope you are well.

Tonight I'm experiencing ringing and echo in my right ear.

Also experiencing strangling feeling in my throat and neck at night time.

Also, a few days ago I remembered that last year I had a sort of restless leg syndrome during the weaning process. I went to my GP who had no answers but it eventually went away on its own.

I don't mean to automatically assume that every symptom I've had is due to withdrawal syndrome, but it could be.

I had restless leg syndrome, only at night, for a couple years during Prozac WD. It is a form of akathisia, very common in SSRI WD. It went away.

Head pressure and ear ringing is very common during Lexapro WD. 

I have the head pressure/ear popping/ ear ringing bad now for five months due to Lexapro WD (see my signature below).

It hit me ten months after stopping Lexapro. At first it was just at night. Then during the day, 24/7. Days were not so bad overall, being busy, watching TV, ear ringing fades into the background. But at night always bad. I hope yours will not be as bad as mine, but I'm getting through it.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1736-tinnitus-what-does-all-that-noise-mean/?hl=%2Bear+%2Bringing#entry16878

I also have slight numbness on the left side of my body and scalp/neck numbness. Also very common in SSRI WD.

The head pressure/ear ringing/body and head numbness is slowly getting better for me. I am improving lately. I am healing, for sure. It takes awhile. 

Have you read about the windows and waves pattern of recovery? Over time, symptoms wax and wane, with overall long-term improvement:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

24 months SSRI-free  

I had restless leg syndrome, only at night, for a couple years during Prozac WD. It is a form of akathisia, very common in SSRI WD. It went away.

Head pressure and ear ringing is very common during Lexapro WD. 

I have the head pressure/ear popping/ ear ringing bad now for five months due to Lexapro WD (see my signature below).

It hit me ten months after stopping Lexapro. At first it was just at night. Then during the day, 24/7. Days were not so bad overall, being busy, watching TV, ear ringing fades into the background. But at night always bad. I hope yours will not be as bad as mine, but I'm getting through it.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1736-tinnitus-what-does-all-that-noise-mean/?hl=%2Bear+%2Bringing#entry16878

I also have slight numbness on the left side of my body and scalp/neck numbness. Also very common in SSRI WD.

The head pressure/ear ringing/body and head numbness is slowly getting better for me. I am improving lately. I am healing, for sure. It takes awhile. 

Have you read about the windows and waves pattern of recovery? Over time, symptoms wax and wane, with overall long-term improvement:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

Thanks so much for your response. I'm so sorry to hear about all of your symptoms. I hope things get better for you progressively. Fingers crossed for you.

Hi Someday,

Found you from another thread so I'm here following you.

I can confirm that my pins needling are all over my head, face, neck, shoulders, neck. It occued almost everyday in the past like 7-8 months until just recently subsiding. I had this sensation before too but not as bad or constant.

I believe you don't have anything else wrong, its all from lex. Either too much, too less, or dose change. I tried to find the causing relationship analyzing every little thing in my life, got no clue.

Just hanging in, somehow it will lesson and eventually disappear.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi Someday,

Found you from another thread so I'm here following you.

I can confirm that my pins needling are all over my head, face, neck, shoulders, neck. It occued almost everyday in the past like 7-8 months until just recently subsiding. I had this sensation before too but not as bad or constant.

I believe you don't have anything else wrong, its all from lex. Either too much, too less, or dose change. I tried to find the causing relationship analyzing every little thing in my life, got no clue.

Just hanging in, somehow it will lesson and eventually disappear.

Lex

Hi Lex,

Thanks so much for your input. Every comment helps me. I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. I hope it eases up for you soon.

I'm still waiting on MRI results, but I've been told I will have them tomorrow morning.

In the past hour, it feels like the inside of my throat is numb. Really strange and unsettling. It's like, when I breathe out, I can't feel the breath on the inside of my throat. And it feels like I can't swallow properly. And the left side of my mouth and head feel kinda numb. :-/ I'm a bit scared.

this numbness has been bugging me fo a long time. it moves one minute to the other and so so uncomfortable esp. on head/face. they can happen anywhere really just like all the other sxs caused by these poisons.

I can assure you that your MRI will come out normal. Even though sometimes I wish it is from something common and can be treated.

Unfortunately nothing can be done, except for hnging for time to clear it up.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

this numbness has been bugging me fo a long time. it moves one minute to the other and so so uncomfortable esp. on head/face. they can happen anywhere really just like all the other sxs caused by these poisons.

I can assure you that your MRI will come out normal. Even though sometimes I wish it is from something common and can be treated.

Unfortunately nothing can be done, except for hnging for time to clear it up.

How are you feeling today? Is it constant for you or does it come and go?

I'm so angry at the moment. My MRI was completed 50 hours ago and they still have not sent my results. The information sheet in the clinic said the results arrive within 24 hours. The website and the receptionist said 24-48 hours. The receptionist at my GP said they sometimes get them after just a few hours. Very different time frames there. Well ALL of those time frames have now passed and they still don't have my results, and I'm feeling really pissed off. I just want to get the all-clear so I can get on with my life! I've been so worried about it for the past 4 weeks, and now it feels as if it's being dragged out for no reason. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Got the MRI results, all clear. I am so relieved.

I guess the next step is to consider whether to reinstate Lexapro or not. I'm leaning towards no for the moment, as the symptoms are not unbearable, but I will see how I feel as time goes on.

LexAnger how are you feeling today?

Ive had tingling and burning in my hands and feet ever since I came off Klonopin 2 years ago. I had an MRI and everything was normal. Blood tests normal. Now I'm 6 months off Effexor and I still have the tingling and numbness.

40 year old male - First panic attack in May 2012

May 2012 Atenolol (beta blocker)25mg, Ativan 2mg
August 2012 Rapid taper ativan, started zoloft 25mg
Dec 2012... rapid taper zoloft,
January 2013 Xanax 1mg for 1 month
February 2013 Klonopin 1mg
April 2013 to May 2013 Rapid Taper Klonopin to 0.5mg
June 10th 2013 jumped from 0.5 Kpin and Atenolol 25mg
July 2013 two days of Ativan 1mg b/c of hospital visit
September 2013 started Effexor 75mg (this was a mistake i think)
July 2014 to October 2014 tapered off Effexor...

July 2015 - Reinstated zoloft 50mg

So glad you are relived now. Even for future concerns of other sxs, most probably nothing else you can find wrong, it's all caused by the meds.

I'm feeling a bit better today since the recent hit with flu like sxs, ESP. The bran fog, the most scary thing as you are like non- existing, but still feel all the misery.

My numbness comes and goes within a day, usually clear up as day goes, but always shows each day.

One major improvement lately after 8 months incredible patience doing a micro taper, is the needling is gone, or greatly lessoned. Very grateful as its very intolerable.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

I'm considering reinstating to 10mg Lexapro (after almost 4 months of not taking any at all, following a year of ill-advised tapering) due to withdrawal symptoms and the worry those symptoms are causing me.

What is the risk factor involved in reinstating such a high dose after so long? 

I know that the experience is very individual and unique to everyone, but is this a really bad idea?

Thanks!

*this post and responses moved from the symptoms forum

For a couple of hours I've the feeling that I'm choking / being strangled.

Then, an hour ago I was in the shower and I got a pain in the left of my neck.

Then I felt really dizzy.

My face and arms went white.

My face went numb and a little bit of pins & needles, which were also in my hands.

I would have just guessed it was a panic attack, except that my pulse felt slow and weak, so I don't know. Surely if it was a panic attack, my pulse would have been going faster.

Most of the symptoms have mostly subsided but I'm still a bit dizzy.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else, especially in withdrawal? Or could it be unrelated?

It's currently almost 4 months since I took my last Lexapro tablet after 6 years of taking varying doses on and off, and then finishing up with an ill-advised year-long taper. But I don't want to just assume this mini attack was caused by the withdrawal syndrome.

Edited by Petunia
added note

That's a tough decision that we all have to eventually make.

Reinstating sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.

So if you go back on the drug and stabilize, then you will have to decide whether to do a long slow taper off it.

Long slow taper may reduce withdrawal symptoms, but many people continue to struggle with withdrawal symptoms during and after taper. 

Why did you want to be off the drug in the first place? 

24 months SSRI-free