Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Lilu

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes.  It can and will get better!  Don't ever lose hope!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the video of yourself, Leo. It is encouraging and hopeful. I like the concept of seeking incremental improvements and journaling them. The videos - cartoons - are awesome. 

Hope you are doing OK. :)

Edited by ChessieCat
removed repeated duplication

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Guilietta said:

Thanks for the video of yourself, Leo.

They aren't videos of Leo.  They are videos which Leo found online and shared with us here.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Welcome 

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 12:28 PM, Altostrata said:

Any words of encouragement for those experiencing withdrawal syndrome?

This gives hope to those that are in extreme hell: from https://beyondmeds.com/2010/01/10/recap-6-drugs-6-years-2/

To make you feel better, I’ll give you an idea of how bad things were. (Don’t read unless you want some gory details.) For three years I suffered from an irregular heartbeat, a resting pulse anywhere from 120 to 200 beats per minute, a paralyzed bladder (off and on, and I had to catheterize myself to pee), kidneys that didn’t work, glucose intolerance (it’s gone now), and at one point, complete loss of language skills. My eyes were swollen nearly shut, too.

I vomited blood, my hair fell out in clumps, I had seizures, I couldn’t walk in a straight line, my skin peeled like a fruit roll up, etc.

I’m telling you this to illustrate that if I can recover, anyone can. Anyone.

and:

I’m about 85% recovered now, and some days, even more. I’m doing great, and am eagerly looking forward to moving away, getting married, having babies, and doing everything I thought I’d never live to do.

I can go on long walks, shopping…you name it. Out of the over 60+ symptoms I had, only 7 or so remain, and as I’m approaching the 18 month free mark, I know that one of these days, the remaining symptoms will disappear. I’m filled with such happiness and joy, and an appreciation for life I never had before.

In 2008 I was 16 years old. 2008 - 2010 paxil, clonazepam & semisodium valproate. 2013 - 2017 many psych meds with cold switches and CT's prescribed by psychiatrists.

Nov/30/17 started quetiapine IR tablets 100mg 0-0-1. Dec/1/17 started pristiq 50mg tablets 1-0-0. Jan/14/18 started 1.5mg melatonin 0-0-1

Tramadol: 2 year well done (slow and gradual) taper: from Mar/12/18 to Feb/11/20 

Pristiq taper: Jun/15/20 Converted from pristiq 50mg to efexor xr 75mg for 57 days (felt good).  Aug/11/20 weaned to efexor 37.5mg and stayed there for 2 months with 26 days (felt good). Nov/6/20  CT 0mg of efexor xr (felt good). Total time in tapering pristiq 50mg by converting to efexor xr 75mg: 4 months with 22 days: Jun/15/20 to Nov/6/20. (felt good)

Efexor 0mg and quetiapine 100mg (Nov/6/20 to Dic/11/20) (felt good being without effexor and taking 100mg quetiapine)

Dic/11/20 quetiapine 75mg, so 75mg from Dic/11/20 to Jan/4/21  25 days. Jan/5/21 quetiapine 50mg (1 day in 50mg).

Jan/6/21 1st CT of quetiapine. Mar/1/21 CT melatonin. Felt terrible so Mar/25/21 reinstated 100mg quetiapine. 

100mg quetiapine 19 days (Mar/25/21 - Apr/13/21) Felt good while in quetiapine 100mg. 75mg quetiapine 55 days (Apr/14/21 - Jun/8/21) the 55th day (Jun/8/21)  felt hellish so CT'd quetiapine for a 2nd time on Jun/9/21. 

Jun/9/21 - Nov/16/21 1st days insomnia, anxiety, took cbd and felt very good many days (healed insomnia & anxiety), CT'd ginkgo which made me felt terrible so reinstated ginkgo. Started intolerable back pain (spasm) so tried other herbs along with cbd, then started derealization, panic, indecisiveness, nostalgia & others. Stopped taking cbd & herbs, reinstated quetiapine 75mg Nov/17/21, immediately after taking it, had severe heart palpitations, so Nov/18/21 back to cbd (no quetiapine). Nov/20/21 reinstated 75mg quetiapine (stopped cbd & herbs), severely couldn't breathe for 5 seconds after taking quetiapine 75mg so reduced to 50 mg on Nov/28/21 had new and worse and very severe adverse effects, got indecisive if CT or keep taking quetiapine because I was terrified of CT, but since the new severe adverse effects were very severe I CT, and because of indecisiveness and panic to CT, I reinstated again, then CT'd and reinstated many times, last time I was taking quetiapine it was 25mg and had severe TD, hellish anhedonia, suicidal, intrusive thoughts of imagining myself running into a wall and crashing into it and I was feeling the pain as if I was doing it in real life, involuntary thoughts of punching my face or head and shashing it against the wall and some times I did punch my face, and when I didn't, I also felt the pain just by imagining it, so definitive CT on Jul/15/22. 

Free from quetiapine and psych meds since Jul/15/22.

MY BEST ADVICE: FOLLOW SA'S GUIDELINES, DON'T CT BECAUSE IT IS HORRIFIC AND BE PATIENT TO WAIT A LONG TIME TO DO VERY SLOW AND GRADUAL TAPERS IN ORDER TO GET OFF OF YOUR MEDICATIONS, IT IS WORTH IT. THE ONLY MOMENTS WHERE IS RIGHT TO CT IS AFTER YOUR 1ST CT THAT YOU DID BECAUSE OF IGNORANCE OR IMPATIENCE, IF YOU REINSTATE AND FEEL SEVERE ADVERSE EFFECTS LIKE TD, ANHEDONIA, FEEL LIKE YOU ARE DROWNING, OR THE ONE'S I HAD, IT IS BEST TO CT IN MY EXPERIENCE, BECAUSE WHEN I REINSTATED I GOT MUCH WORSE THAN WHEN I WAS IN THE PREVIOUS CT. I'm not a doctor.

• Administrator

While his Web site thelovelygrind.com is a commercial venture offering Christian-inflected counseling, Michael Priebe has created many inspirational videos regarding recovery from psychiatric drug withdrawal, available on YouTube.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I get Baylissa's daily words of encouragement. Really like this one:

You are stronger than you know. The fact that you are still holding on means that there is something deep within you - let's call it your human will and determination - that will see you through to recovery. If you are doubting your ability to cope, just remember how much you have already had to deal with. You may think you have no more strength to keep you going, but know that the strength always comes. No matter how intense things are or how weary or drained you may be feeling, trust that you will find ways to manage, to overcome, and to nurture yourself while you are healing.

Because of this innate courage and strength, you persevere. So many people tend to give up and go back on the drug or try new ones. It takes immeasurable strength and perseverance to get through withdrawal. You are doing it. You are heroic. No matter how scared you are, how uncertain, how vulnerable you feel, you always keep going.

This is what you must continue to do. Don't lose hope. Don't give up. No matter how long you have been holding on, the day will come when your healing will finally be completed. You must continue until this time arrives. Yes, one day, just when the timing is right for you, the symptoms will all abate, never to return. You will know that you are healed and you will be able to exhale and to put this experience behind you.

Remember, you are stronger than you realize. Keep going. You will make it.

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

• 2 months later...
On 3/30/2015 at 10:57 PM, Lilu said:

Withdrawal Dialogues - Impact of Withdrawal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fODeaH-bFU4

Withdrawal Dialogues - Benzos & Antidepressants

No longer available

Withdrawal Dialogues - Acceptance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxY4MrQoTjE

Withdrawal Dialogues - Family & Carers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Pzbl1jZGQ

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 1 - typical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZuvo_au1M

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 2 - a keeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2vmb8XbHw

I am new to the site and just came across these videos that you kindly shared. Thank you so much @Lilu. What a great respite from this difficult journey. I will keep watching them for reassurance! Cheers.

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• 1 year later...

Thank you @Lilu for these video.....

The point that pulled my attention was .....when ever a difficult thought comes to my mind then ask question is that true? Is it 100% true?

why this and why not that ?

I will keep watching it......for reaffirming myself

Started on august 2012

Until feb 2017 no data of prescribition available

Feb 2017.  Resperidone 2mg

August 2018 1mg resperidone

June 2019. 0.75 mg resperidone

March 2020 0.5 mg resperidone

August 2020 0.75mg resperidone

December 2020 0.5 mg resperidone

Currently may 2021 0.5mg resperidone

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 9:10 AM, papaloapan said:

This gives hope to those that are in extreme hell: from https://beyondmeds.com/2010/01/10/recap-6-drugs-6-years-2/

To make you feel better, I’ll give you an idea of how bad things were. (Don’t read unless you want some gory details.) For three years I suffered from an irregular heartbeat, a resting pulse anywhere from 120 to 200 beats per minute, a paralyzed bladder (off and on, and I had to catheterize myself to pee), kidneys that didn’t work, glucose intolerance (it’s gone now), and at one point, complete loss of language skills. My eyes were swollen nearly shut, too.

I vomited blood, my hair fell out in clumps, I had seizures, I couldn’t walk in a straight line, my skin peeled like a fruit roll up, etc.

I’m telling you this to illustrate that if I can recover, anyone can. Anyone.

and:

I’m about 85% recovered now, and some days, even more. I’m doing great, and am eagerly looking forward to moving away, getting married, having babies, and doing everything I thought I’d never live to do.

I can go on long walks, shopping…you name it. Out of the over 60+ symptoms I had, only 7 or so remain, and as I’m approaching the 18 month free mark, I know that one of these days, the remaining symptoms will disappear. I’m filled with such happiness and joy, and an appreciation for life I never had before.

Omg I needed to read that today. Thankyou

• 1995 started Paxil 20mg slowly increasing to 50mg 2014 I decided to tapper myself not knowing how too and crashed , DR added 50mg of Seroquel

• Through the years made many mistakes tapering

• Started Tapering Both drugs at the same time 7.5% per month Paxil 9% Seroquel doing daily micro-taper 

• Guided by Mark Horowitz

• 31/3/24 Paxil 10.31mg

• 31/3/24 Seroquel 9.9mg

• 3 months later...
On 3/30/2015 at 4:57 PM, Lilu said:

Withdrawal Dialogues - Impact of Withdrawal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fODeaH-bFU4

Withdrawal Dialogues - Benzos & Antidepressants

No longer available

Withdrawal Dialogues - Acceptance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxY4MrQoTjE

Withdrawal Dialogues - Family & Carers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Pzbl1jZGQ

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 1 - typical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZuvo_au1M

Withdrawal Dialogues - Doctor's Visit Pt. 2 - a keeper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF2vmb8XbHw

These videos are private is there anywhere else I can watch? 

2001-2018 Paroxetine

2018-2020 100mg Desvenlafaxine

2018-2020 Lamotrigine 50mg

2020 - Tapered off Desvenlafaxine and Lamotrigine at the same time over 4 weeks per GP. 

2020 - Abilify, Risperdal, Escitalopram, Prozac

2020 - Seroquel - Dr. CT after 5 months due to akathisia ended in hospital, 6 month recovery

Currently on:

Mirtazipine - 1.87mg currently. Started @ 22.5mg, reinstated at 1.87mg 10/6/21 after 6 month taper to 3.75 was off for 16 days before reinstatement 

Clonazepam - 0.5mg sparingly

Lamotrigine - 25mg/2x daily

Daily symptom diary

• Moderator Emeritus

@Beardeddad22

Thank you for advising us about this.  I have added this note to the top of Post #1:

On 3/31/2015 at 7:57 AM, Lilu said:

PLEASE NOTE

31.10.2021:  Unfortunately these videos are no longer available to the public on YouTube.  I have done a search both on YouTube and a general internet search and cannot find any.

If someone manages to find them, please post the links to them.  Thank you.

Edited by ChessieCat

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay I managed to find mention of them on a different website http://www.crespifamilyhope.org/considering-withdrawal/

but the recovery-road.org site is no long available and a search for them produced nothing.

They are done by Recovery Road – Website: www.recovery-road.org

Find the Withdrawal Dialogues videos at this link: 

http://recovery-road.org/dialogues/

Withdrawal Dialogues – Acceptance (4:42 minutes)

Withdrawal Dialogues – Tapering (4:00 minutes)

Withdrawal Dialogues – Benzos & Antidepressants (2:58 minutes)

Withdrawal Dialogues – Family & Cares (4:28 minutes)

Withdrawal Dialogues – Doctor’s Visit Pt. 1 (3.38 minutes)

Withdrawal Dialogues – Doctor’s Visit Pt. 2 (3.47 minutes)

6 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Okay I managed to find mention of them on a different website http://www.crespifamilyhope.org/considering-withdrawal/

but the recovery-road.org site is no long available and a search for them produced nothing.

You're such a resourceful helpful person. Always on top of things. Thank you! 

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• Moderator Emeritus

Please see Post #1 of this topic.  I have added a link to some helpful resources.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy