Gingko and Ginseng

squirrel

Anyone know if Gingko helps dizziness?

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

I know people who take it for memory issues. Never heard of it for dizziness.

If you decide to take it, start with the smallest amount possible. You never know how you will react.

Charter Member 2011

I took it once during w/d. It seemed to help me focus better and relax a bit, as I recall.

However I wasnt sure if it had a bad effect the next day (I also took SAM-E around the same time, so may have been that).

My advice is: If you try it, just keep an eye out for any adverse effects the next day.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

Anyone know if this helps ?

Squirrel.......

if you google Ginkgo you will find many sites that list "dizziness" as a common side-effect.

don't know who suggested Ginkgo to you but it's not something I would be taking. Personally, I wouldn't be taking anything at all...........if you protect your receptors from being exposed to any chemicals they will remember how to function correctly.

I copied and pasted one link on Ginkgo (read below).

Punar

Ginkgo biloba

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/8513/31402/347015.html?d=dmtContent#dangers

Potential Dangers

Allergies

People with allergies to plants in the Ginkgoaceae family or to urushiols (mango rind, sumac, poison ivy, poison oak) may be more likely to have allergic reactions to ginkgo. One case of a severe, blistering, peeling rash (Stevens-Johnson syndrome) associated with a product that contained ginkgo has been reported. Ginkgo fruit or pulp may cause allergies if applied to the skin. Ginkgo injections have caused severe reactions and are not recommended.

Side Effects

Few side effects have been reported from ginkgo at recommended doses. The most common complaints include stomach discomfort, nausea, headaches, dizziness or restlessness. Adverse effects such as skin irritation and itching have also occurred but are likely caused by ginkgo allergies. Rarely, heart palpitations (rapid, pounding heartbeats) have been reported. Commonly used doses of Ginkgo biloba do not seem to have any immediate or short-term effects on blood pressure, heart rate, or elecrocardiographic (ECG) variables.

One serious concern with ginkgo is the possible increased risk of bleeding. There are several cases of people bleeding inside their heads while taking ginkgo, which may occur more frequently in people also taking drugs that affect bleeding, such as aspirin or warfarin. Nosebleeds may also occur with ginkgo use. You may need to stop taking ginkgo before some surgeries because of the risk of bleeding; discuss this with a health care professional.

It has also been reported that ginkgo may interfere with fertility in both men and women and may cause a decrease in muscle strength. These effects have not been widely studied in humans.

It is possible that ginkgo may cause seizures, especially in people with a history of seizure disorders or taking other medications that increase the chance of having a seizure. Ginkgo may affect the outcome of electroconsulvie therapy. Adverse effects on the eyes have been reported.

Pregnancy And Breast-Feeding

Ginkgo cannot be recommended during pregnancy or breast-feeding. There are reports of seizures in children who have taken ginkgo.

Interactions

Interactions with drugs, supplements and other herbs have not been thoroughly studied. The interactions listed below have been reported in scientific publications. If you are taking prescription drugs, speak with a health care professional or pharmacist before using herbs or dietary supplements.

Interactions With Drugs

Ginkgo may increase the risk of bleeding when used with anticoagulants (blood thinners) or antiplatelet drugs. Examples include warfarin (Coumadin), heparin and clopidogrel (Plavix). Some pain relievers may also increase the risk of bleeding if used with ginkgo. Examples include aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (Naprosyn, Aleve, Anaprox). It has been suggested that ginkgo may increase the risk of bleeding if taken with acetaminophen (Tylenol), pentoxifylline (Trental) and vitamin E, although there is not a lot of information in this area.

Individuals with a history of diabetes should be careful when taking ginkgo. In theory, ginkgo may lower blood sugar levels. Caution is advised if you are also taking drugs that may lower blood sugar levels. Patients taking oral drugs for diabetes or using insulin should be monitored closely by a health care professional while using ginkgo. Dosing adjustments may be necessary. It is possible that ginkgo may cause seizures, especially in people with a history of seizure disorders. You should avoid taking other drugs that increase the risk of seizures if you are taking ginkgo.

Many other possible drug interactions could, in theory, lead to adverse effects. Examples include increased side effects if used with antidepressants, such as fluoxetine (Prozac); cholinesterase inhibitors, such as donepezil (Aricept); or drugs used to treat high blood pressure. Possible beneficial drug interactions that may, in theory, occur with the use of ginkgo are less toxicity associated with chemotherapy, improvements in erectile function when used with papaverine, and fewer adverse effects when used with antipsychotic drugs. Many of these drug interactions have not been widely studied in humans.

Gingko may alter the way the liver breaks down certain drugs.

Interactions With Herbs And Dietary Supplements

Very few interactions between ginkgo and herbs or supplements have been reported, but some are considered possible. For example, side effects such as muscle stiffness, rapid heartbeats, fever, restlessness and sweating may occur if gingko is used with St. John's wort. In theory, ginkgo may increase the risk of bleeding when also taken with other products that are believed to increase the risk of bleeding, such as garlic (Allium sativum). Vitamin E and ginkgo taken together may also increase the risk of bleeding. It is also possible that ginkgo may lower blood sugar levels. People using other herbs or supplements that may alter blood sugar levels, such as bitter melon (Momordica charantia), should be monitored closely by a health care professional while using ginkgo. Dosing adjustments may be necessary.

Although not widely studied, ginkgo may lower blood pressure levels and should be used cautiously with other herbs or supplements that may affect blood pressure levels, such as hawthorn (Crataegus oxyacantha). Gingko may alter the way the liver breaks down herbs and supplements.

To Face My Trials with "The Grace of a Woman Rather Than the Grief of a Child". (quote section by Veronica A. Shoffstall)

Be Not Afraid of Growing Slowly. Be Afraid of Only Standing Still.

(Chinese Proverb)

I Create and Build Empowerment Within Each Time I Choose to Face A Fear, Sit with it and Ask Myself, "What Do I Need to Learn?"

I tried it with terrible results towards the beginning of my w/d last year.

I am highly sensitive, and the Ginko was super stimulating with many side effects.

Everyone is different, of course. But that was my experience.

Good luck to you,

Alex.i

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 4 weeks later...

I was researching glutamate antagonists and found a reference to the beneficial effects of Ginkgo Biloba... I had thought to stay away from it because I thought it was stimulating, but I might try it because of what I read here. I'm going to wait until I am fairly stable on my recent Seriphos addition, though...

"A condition common to many chronic and acute neurological disorders is excitotoxicity-oversensitivity of neurons to the excitatory neurotransmitter glutamate. A series of laboratory experiments (Kobayashi et al., 2000; Zhu et al., 1997; Oyama et al., 1993) suggests that Ginkgo extract can protect neurons from excitotoxicity, preventing glutamate-induced calcium influx leading to cell death. A recent study in mice (Wu et al., 1999) showed the protective effect of ginkgo extract on mice injected with a neurotoxin known as MPTP. This neurotoxin brings about a close approximation of Parkinson's disease in humans, monkeys and mice. When the mice were pretreated with Ginkgo, the neurotoxicity of MPTP was prevented in a dose-dependent manner. MPTP selectively damages the dopamine system in the nigrostriatal region affected by Parkinson's disease. When the mice were treated with ginkgo extract after exposure to the toxin, dopamine levels recovered more rapidly. Other studies have shown that ginkgo improves dopamine uptake under conditions of oxidative stress. Brain metabolism generates hydrogen peroxide, a cytotoxic agent that generates oxidative stress in the brain, contributes to cerebral injury and edema following ischemia, and causes programmed cell death (apoptosis) in cortical neurons (nerve cells). Hydrogen peroxide damages DNA and oxidizes lipids and proteins through reactions that have not been entirely clarified but are thought to involve iron and copper ions. Interesting studies by Oyama et al. (1996) and Ni et al. (1996) demonstrated that ginkgo extract is able to protect neurons from oxidative stress induced by hydrogen peroxide. When neurons were treated with ginkgo extract for one hour before adding hydrogen peroxide, it was highly effective in protecting nerve cells from damage and death. A new study (Wei et al., 1999) suggests that hydrogen peroxide activates nuclear factor kappa beta in bovine endothelial cells, thus contributing to atherosclerosis-and demonstrates that ginkgo extract blocks this activation."

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone tried taking ginseng during withdrawal?

Although it's usually regarded as a stimulant, I found this study claiming it can be as effective as diazepam (the experiment was on rats, so it could possibly not apply to humans). I also found this other study claiming the same for mice. There are several others.

The reason I've thought of taking it is to help with energy and depression, but don't want to make my anxiety worse. I might try a very small amount and see what it does. If I dare to do it, I'll let you guys know how it went!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

OK, so I've been so down in the dumps the past couple of days that about an hour ago I took one of those little vials of Panax Ginseng (I was already feeling plenty of dread and anxiety, so I figured, what the hell). 40 minutes later I feel a sense of well-being, my depression is much better, and it has not exacerbated my anxiety!

I'll report back tomorrow about whether it affected my sleep or not.

Hello Nadja,

Oh, I wonder if it will help you.

I can tell you that I have tried it a few times in different stages of withdrawal.

In the beginning of withdrawal I didn t react very sensitive against supplements.That started far more out.

Well,at that time I took Ginseng for about a week and it gave me more energy and helped me with the weakness.But I also realised that I was far more aggressive and just not feeling right.

Later,every time I tried a tiny bit it gave me horrible akathisia and even scary thoughts.But this happened to me with every supplement I tried.

A friend of mine tried Ginseng (not in withdrawal) and she was very restlessness and didn t like the effect.

lg solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hi Solida, thanks for the feedback.

Well, this morning I took the ginseng (200 mg) for the third time. I had a positive effect from it yesterday and on neither night did it make my sleep worse than it was. I don't seem to get any restlessness from it. In fact, it almost has a soothing effect. I don't like that the little vials of the solution have so much sugar, though. I might try to find a different formulation if I feel it is helping in the long run. You know how these things have a tendency to turn on you sometimes, so I'll have to wait and see after a week or two.

How are things going for you with the panax ginseng?

Hope all is well!

Years:150mg Wellbutrin (to concentrate) 20-30 mg Celexa (rumination).

CT 8/2011 during a pregnancy attempt under MD orders. (Idiot!!!) Pregnancy hormones allowed it.

Felt great with 6 mg of melatonin per night to sleep plus preggo hormones-didn't last:(

Best time of my life. Botched IVF in Dec 2011.Stress.

Bone chilling exhaustion and told to go back on celexa and wellbutrin.

4/9/2012 Back on celexa wb for some relief, wb gave me heart palps so dropped and only need 6.6 mg celexa and 1/4 melatonin pill...IMPROVEMENT because my doses are much lower!

REMEMBER to get your thyroid and hormones checked/out of whack ones can appear LIKE MOOD DISORDERS!!

I saw a show years back of a brain under a Scan after ingesting ginkgo, and I could actually see how the circulation (capillaries) improved.

I suppose that is why it is good for Brain Fog.....I have brain fog and short term memory loss afte getting off Imipramine. WD symptom from what I've learned.

Anyone have any knowledge or experience with Ginkgo.

PS... I am addicted to Word With Friends on Facebook and have noticed that the challenge of figuring out words, spelling and stratgey is very good for me. Keeps my mind a little more fit. Brain exercises...I hope :)

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

I tried it and had a bad result with a fractional dose. I was way too stimulated. I'd recommend caution.

Alex

- Zimmerman

The last thing I need or want is an adverse reaction to anything.

Right now I am just taking a Multi Vit. Will purchase Fish Oil and Vit E.

Drug give me Brain Fog.

Do you think the memory thing will subside? I get it from new meds and from WD. In the ast it would ease up.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

I was strongly advised to give up the Gingko while in withdrawal, so I did.

*** Please note this is not medical advice,discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner***

http://prozacwithdrawal.blogspot.com/
Original drug was sertraline/Zoloft, switched to Prozac in 2007.
Tapering from 5mls liquid prozac since Feb 2008, got down to 0.85ml 23/09/2012, reinstated back to 1ml(4mg) 07/11/2012, didn't appear to work, upped to 1.05ml 17/11/2012, back down to 1ml 12/12/2012 didn't work, up to 1.30ml 16/3/2013 didn't work, bumped up to 2ml (8mg) 4/4/2013 didn't work, in July 2013 I reinstated Sertraline (Zoloft) 50mg, feeling better now. 

A few months down the line I switched to 5ml liquid Prozac and tapered down to a compromise dose of 3ml liquid Prozac and have stayed there ever since, no withdrawals and no emotional blunting/loss of libido.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Elizabeth,

I was just about to post an update. I'm becoming convinced the ginseng is really helping. I ran out for three days and felt a definite decline toward depression. Since it's supposed to be activating, though, I was concerned it might be making my anxiety or insomnia worse. However, yesterday and just now I've been very anxious, and I have felt almost immediately better when taking the ginseng.

I was trying to research why this might be, if perhaps it was helping level out my hormones... there seem to be some people who think it can help with hormone regulation. But I also read that unlike in the West, in Eastern medicine ginseng is assumed to be calming, not activating. That is the effect it seems to have on me... it does make me feel energy, but a soothing, calming one. In any case, I'm going to keep taking it. I hear you should not take it more than three months without a one month break in between.

Maybe this is working for me because I've been off ADs for quite a while now (since Nov. 2010). But I am definitely doing incredibly well compared to how I was about three weeks ago, before I started taking the ginseng. It may be coincidence, who knows... but of all the things I have taken it seems the most effective, along with magnesium. I still have insomnia and anxiety every few days (triggered by stress or change), but my mood is so much better and I don't have the flu-like tiredness and weird back aches. I'm still dizzy, though... I've been dizzy a lot, usually when I'm in the shower or when I run the tap. So it's not like it's a cure-all, but I feel more normal than I have since my "good month" last October.

I would just warn anyone wanting to try this to be very cautious, especially in the first stages of withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's a full selection of Panax Ginseng products from the place where I buy my herbs:

http://www.pennherb.com/search?mv_session_id=EpANNerK&mp=s&se=Panax+ginseng

They're quite reputable and have been in business since 1924 in Philadelphia.

I'm leery of taking anything described as "energizing". I made the mistake of taking a B complex vitamin for a few days and have been very irritable since. My herbal calmative is Black Cohosh root, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon, steeped in boiling water for ten minutes. It has a mild licorice taste which is enhanced with sweetener (I use raw organic honey). If you decide to try this, have no more than three cups a day spaced hours apart. It is a very powerful relaxant as I found out the first time I used it, double strength, two cups in a row. (I thought I remembered the directions, but I didn't).

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Nadia are you using the red panax ginseng or the white?

I got a box of p. ginseng and it contained little vials. I took just a few drops and it produced unwanted effects. Though I have also heard of it for reduction of anxiety.

Alex

- Zimmerman

• 1 year later...

I started taking Ginkgo recently and have not noticed anything good or bad.  I saw a program on TV showing a brain under a scan after ingesting Ginkgo and how the  capillaries opened and there was some type of "good brain activity", so I decided to give it a try.

Altering the AD's for me has always caused short term memory loss, forgetting names, etc. and it scares the daylights out of me.

Thought Ginkgo might help me.

I worked in Hospice for a brief time (very depressing) and during our Orientation to teach us about Dementia and Alzheimer's disease we were told that Vitamin E helps keep brain tissue soft.  Alzheimer's causes the brain to become dry, hard and brittle which causes shrinking.

Here again, thought it might help :)

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note that there were several topics regarding gingko and ginseng in the 'Symptoms and self-care' discussion and I've merged them into one topic for simplicity's sake.

Tulalip, in general, supplements don't help antidepressant withdrawal at all and often aggravate the symptoms.  The only supplements that seem to help nearly everyone are high quality fish oil and magnesium, and there are a few people who can't even tolerate those.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Nikki that sounds interesting please keep me updated!

I see jemima. Shame their are not more supplements we can take without as you said aggravating symptoms.

I suppose we all looking for that magic pill!

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know if ginkgo bilobo is helpful during recovery? It's meant to be very good for the brain and the eyes. I wondered if any had any experience of using this?

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WT,

I merged your post about gingko in with this thread, have a look through the discussion, especially the earlier posts.  It seems that there is a mixed reaction to gingko.  If you decide to try it, start with a very low dose and do let us know how it goes.

Petu.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 5 weeks later...

I myself gather ginko leaves in autumn when they are suppose to be more potent and have about two tea spoons in a tea. Its suppose to take about a couple of weeks of intake to have an effect, and then monthly breaks to stop you becoming immune...well so i have been told.

As for the effect for me, i get a nice sense of well being, being a placebo or not i have ever had any bad side effects

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

• 4 months later...

Anyone tried artic root or gingseng to get rid of the brain fog and the fact that one cant focus??

//

fluoxetine since 13years followed doctors advice tapered 40 mg to 0mg in 4 months july 2015 august crasched in panic attacks etc end of september akatisia , nausea, crying alot no one told me it could be something called withdrawal I read it and also about going back to last dose No one knew if it was worth it. tried reinstate autumn 2014 5 mg prozac then 10mg since 29/11-2014 feel only worse sucidal for real, tried antihistamine 10 mg or oxascand (benso) 5 mg or valerian for anxiousness but sick feeling taking this. 6mg prozac to taper slowly down since 15/2-2014 (30ml out of 100ml water with 20 mg pill) tapered 10-20% per month until June 2015 super anxious depressed tired. Got Buspar may 2015 5mg 10mg 15mg headache etc
June 2015: 10mg buspar plus around 3 mg prozac quit this cold turkey in July 2015. One week later crying spells and suicidal. Tried 5htp.magnesium omega 3 until September. October 2015 tested vit D was 17 . Since October 2015 ONLY Vit D and magnesium . nov 2016 can laungh again! but still too anxious ,depressed or lethargic in waves can't focuS, Crying spells , scared, social fobia, bitterness. .. . Did not reinstate prozac again . Trying to survive ....

july 2016-troathpain /reflux starts...

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi trying,

I added your question about ginseng to  this thread, have a look through the discussion.   It seems that there is a mixed reaction to ginseng.  If you decide to try it, start with a very low dose and do let us know how it goes.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• 2 months later...

Okay I am thinking about trying panax ginseng on the long run because it seems promising but there are some things which give me concern.

The promising things are that it is reported to help with general fatigue and well being, It also has neuroprotactive actions and "It can enhance NGF-induced neuron growth" and probably BDNF too.

and other benefits as well http://examine.com/supplements/Panax+ginseng/#summary5-0

What gives me concern is that it inhibits the uptake of GABA, serotonin, noradrenaline, and glutamate. 

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/6467264_Ginseng_saponins_influence_on_neurotransmitter_uptake_in_rat_brain_synaptosomes

The GABA and glutamate part sound good to me but not sure it is good for us if it acts on serotonin too. It seems to me that actually does it in a very similar way to an SSRI as a "uptake inhibitor". Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Also these things might seem to explain why did it helped you on the long run that much Nadia.....

Nevertheless I am very tempted to try it in the long run because I liked how affected me after trying it a couple of times... 

1st short round: from 2012 april ~ july 

Sertraline 50mg with 1mg Larazepam fast wd few problems

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

Now: 1 mgs total K, divided into .75 night .25 day

Started taking 3mg Lamictal on 05.07...... Slowly tiltrated up to 6mg....

Okay so I tried it again. I took one of those little tonic bottles yesterday morning. I started to feel weird and have nausea, but it wasn't that bad. I felt energized but not in a very good way. But things went absolutely crazy during the night when I woke up and I was so agitated, anxious, etc I could not get back to sleep for hours. It was very scary. This did not happen to me in a long time....

After reading after it I know why this happened. 

It turns out that Ginseng is also a MAO inhibitor. So it is also a noradrenergic, which is why it causes "mania" -- like SNRIs (I also have an SNRI history)

Plus it has a bad reaction with foods containing tyramine (cheese, meats, bananas etc)

Well I just happened to eat all these at lunch too! So no wonder I went crazy!!!

SO EVERYONE BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS. IT CAN CAUSE A VERY SCARY EFFECT! (It made me have a seisure which felt very similar to a serotonin syndrome type....like I had in the past a few times)

2013 may - 2014 january:  75mg Effexor XR +  1mg Rivotril + 10mg Ambien(zolpidem)

2014 january ~ june :        150mg Effexor XR +  2mg Rivotril    cold turkeyed both almost at the same time (crazy wd of course)

two days after cold turkey of Effexor I started 10mg of Lexapro for around a month then did a fast taper (for some days took little Ambien to combat wd)

Reinstated to 1mg of Klonopin on 2015.04.23  took the 1mg total for 10 days.  I did in three divided doses 0.25 morning + 0.25 afternoon + 0.5 before sleep.  

• 3 months later...

Ouch... I didn't know Ginseng was also a MAO inhibitor. I knew Gingko is.

I tried Gingko but I didn't like the effect. I'm not 100% sure it was related, but I didn't feel very good after taking it.

I tried Ginseng and initially it definitely made me a bit anxious and restless. But an hour later it seemed to improve my depression a lot and gave me back my will to fight. I was really on the edge to giving up, so this kinda rescued me, at least for now.

I'm hoping for the neuroprotective properties and the increase in BDGF that alwayslookup mentioned.

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Looking back on that post I think I was overreacting something.....so I think I will try Ginseng again but this time I will be much more careful. I would definitely need a little energy cause he benzos make me so weak and flat....

Probably will try that "Ginseng and Royal Jelly" combo. You know those little bottles with sweet tonic in them .....that you can buy almost anywhere.

Oh by the way Royal Jelly.

I am surprised there is not more talk about it on this forum. It seems to be a very good stuff. Mostly for energy and general well being. But as it turned out after some research it also has a role in Neurogenesis. 

Actually I took it faithfully for months and I think it did help me. Will try it again in the following days.

But Laura, as a general rule of thumb here on the forum: be cautios with everything. Mostly with herbs that are neuoractive like Ginseng.   

You're totally right, alwayslookup. I had set the rule for myself not to use anything neuroactive.

I violated that rule a couple of times now. Usually out of desperation and the outcomes were always bad.

With Ginseng I didn't realize it was neuroactive,but I actually like the effect for now.

I wonder if I keep taking it, will I get withdrawals from it... scary thought...

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

You're totally right, alwayslookup. I had set the rule for myself not to use anything neuroactive.

I violated that rule a couple of times now. Usually out of desperation and the outcomes were always bad.

With Ginseng I didn't realize it was neuroactive,but I actually like the effect for now.

I wonder if I keep taking it, will I get withdrawals from it... scary thought...

I am not an expert on this but I don't think you should be worried about having withdrawals from ginseng......I mean as far as I know that is mostly a concern with rx drugs (which cause receptor downregualtion etc.) . But of course some people reported withdrawals even from strong supplements like SAM-E and even St.John's Worth (probably considered the strongest natural MAOi)

So yeah you should definitely be careful with anything you try but for now if it helps then I do not need why you should worry...... ;)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

In his intro thread simack has posted about gingko:

So I've been reading and found that Gingko Biloba inhibits cytochrome P450 metabolism, so effectively increasing my doses of pristiq zyprexa and seroquel.. No wonder I'm in a bad wave, will be heavily researching everything before taking anymore supplements

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 5 months later...

does anyone know how long does ginkgo stay in your system ? i don't believe it's only 1-3 days, they say that antipsychotics stay in your system for the same amount of time, but i started getting better after 3 months of not using them, i'm sure that's the period when i was almost 100% clean of them (i think).

so, how long does ginkgo stay ?

My withdrawal journey (click)

"If you're going through hell - keep going".

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy