SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Edie: my story

Edie

Hello,

I'm Edie from Estonia and I struggeled with antidepressants for years now. I have also been addicted to Klonopin, but fortunately I'm free from it now. My worst enemy was venlafaxine. At first it really helped with my anxiety problems, but then one day it completely stopped working and soon I fell into a really dark depression, which I had not felt before psychiatric meds. I was sleeping all the time, had no feelings at all, no motivation- just tired and zombie-like. And ofcourse.. if I wanted to stop the medication I just couldn't. Every time the horrible venlafaxine withdrawal kicked in.  I somehow managed to switch from venlafaxine to prozac and now I feel a little bit better. I have been on 10 mg of prozac for almost two months now and I think that soon I should make my first taper, but I am a little bit afraid of that, because of the big changes my brain has gone through the past months. 75mg venlafaxine to 10mg prozac was a really difficult thing to do - during the switch I had severe panick attacks, suicide thoughts, extreme pressure in head ect.

The thing is that I'm not sure when I should start tapering. Should I do it now or wait a little bit longer?

I also take inositol powder and 500 mg niacin in the evenings and I think that these supplements are helping a little bit with the anxiety.

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
back to 75 mg venlafaxine
2014 dec - 60 mg venlafaxine, 2015 jan - 55 mg
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 march - added inositol, niacin, fish oil
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Edie

• rapunzel2

• KarenB

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Edie, welcome to SA. First congratulations on the switch to prozac, many find it impossible but if you have done that and feel well then it is a good thing because prozac is easier to taper than venlafaxine.  I would hold for another couple of months to allow your nervous system to stabilise properly before starting to taper the prozac, which is available in a liquid form and easier to make small cuts. 

20mg prozac is the equivalent of 75mg of venlafaxine . Here is our topic for tapering prozac when you are ready 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

Keep it Simple with the 3 KIS

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

We ask all our members to post their drug history in their signature strip so we can see at a glance what drugs have been taken and when. This will appear at the bottom of all posts.  You will find out how to do that here 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Let us know when you decide to taper and we will be your cheerleaders  :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

The thing is that in Estonia you can only get 20mg capsules - no liquid form is available. So I'm just making my own liquid. I stir the powder from the capsule into water and then just take half of the solution. My doc thinks this is a very bad idea and recommends taking 20mg every other day. Well.. I think that his idea sounds much worse than mine :D

2008 -2013 Most of the time on 75 mg venlafaxine and 0,25 mg Klonopin, 2013 august-oct - weaning off venlafaxine
2013 december- severe panick attacks, difficulties with breathing and swallowing, brain zaps, derealisation ect.
2015 feb - hospitalisation,extreme WD, switched to 10mg Prozac, weaning off Klonopin
2015 april - free from klonopin, only on 10mg Prozac, may - oct 10mg - 6 mg prozac

2015 oct - WD, anxiety, panic attacks - back to 7 mg, Nov- back to 8 mg - added 1/4 of 1,5 mg bromazepam x 2 per day

2015. dec - adverse reaction to prozac, had to CT, only on 1mg klonopin - low grade fever, vertigo, painful urinating

2016. jan - back on venlafaxine 37,5 mg and 1 mg klonopin - , also taking vit c, Q 10, fish oil, magnesium oil, seabuckthorn oil, zinc gluconate, tumeric, april 2016 - back on 75 mg venlafaxine, oct 2016 18 mg venlafaxine 0,5 - 1 mg klonopin,Jan 9 - hospitalized due to severe depression January 12- discontinued venlafaxine, switched from 1 mg clonazepam to 7.5 mg diazepam 2 times a day, 15th January started 75 mg pregabalin, 19th jan - 5 mg diazepam in the morning 7.5 in the evening + 75 mg pegabalin, Jan 27 - 52,5 pregabalin - 6 mg venlafaxine - 5 mg diazepam morning - 10 mg diazepam evening

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree that your method is better than his, they don't have a clue!  I would hold awhile as you have tapered klonopin recently too so it would be good to allow your brain to recover from all the changes.   :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I think I have to update: still taking 10mg of prozac, but feeling bad again. Extreme brain fog, anxiety and stomach pains. Also I think my sinuses are swollen.. Im thinking that I might also have a candida problem. I tried some asshwaganda for a week, but ended up with severe headaches in zombieland. Thinking of trying tryptophan.. I'm just so tired all the time.. Trying to find a job, but to be honest -I don't have any motivation at all.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am sorry that you are feeling bad again Edie. I would be very careful with supplements because they can cause more suffering when in withdrawal which is why the ashwaganda made you feel ill. Your nervous system is unstable and needs to stabilise, adding supplements or other drugs often make things worse. 

There is a topic on tryptophan and 5HTP which are the same or very similar. Here is Alto's research on it. It should not be taken with prozac. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-tryptophan/?p=6611

You have recently quit klonopin, how did you taper? How long were you taking it?  You are likely suffering some withdrawal from that too but it will pass..

Most of us find that fish oil and magnesium help with withdrawal. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

You will experience windows and waves when you feel fine for a while then feel awful for some time as your brain is stabilising. 

You can read about that here, when you know what is happening and that it is temporary it is easier to cope with. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

This will pass and you will feel better, just take good care of yourself, take gentle walks outside whether it is sunny or raining, eat good fresh food if possible and as much sleep as you can.  I had candida and controlled it with diet, cutting out sugar, eating yogurt  and a probiotic daily.  

2002  effexor. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Edie - I agree with MammaP, even if you are having symptoms, maybe ESPECIALLY if you are having symptoms, this is a time to hold, to make no changes.

Be careful with supplements, tryptophan can react violently with Prozac, and when you are withdrawal, you may have the most nonsensical reactions to things.  You may find that you cannot tolerate certain lights or sounds or foods or smells - much less tolerate substances that you put in your body.

I agree, too, that your method of liquid tapering is better than every other day.  You doctor must want you to have a meltdown every other day?  Because that's what "every other day" does.  It makes you have little withdrawals all the time, and makes you unstable.

Stay still, hold, and wait until you are more stable before you make any more adjustments.  And please do, let us know how quickly you came off the klonopin.  That could be important.

Meanwhile, since you will be waiting - think about distractions.  Things you can do to distract you from the hardship of withdrawal emotions and sensations.  Do you like to do craft?  Have you tried mindfulness meditation?  Maybe you like coloring books?  Or watching YouTube?  Or playing video games?  If you do a thing, and an hour goes by - then that is an hour which you forgot about suffering, and an hour closer to your healing.

Learn more, here:  Non Drug Techniques to Cope with Emotional Symptoms

And - there is much inflammation that withdrawal can cause.  Some folks can take aspirin, some cannot.  Some can take antihistamines (thinking of your sinuses), some cannot.  Be careful with decongestants, they are stimulating and anxiety producing.  Do you have allergies?  Do you think you may have an infection?

Withdrawal can seem like candida without being candida.  If you talk to naturopaths, they seem to believe that everyone has candida.  I'm skeptical.  You can test for candida, by taking 3 mg of biotin, after 3 days without ANY sugar.  If this improves your condition, you can suspect candida and follow accordingly.  Otherwise, it may just be inflammation from healing withdrawal. 

By all means, get symptoms checked out, just in case.  Many of us go to the doctor often, run tests, take bloods, view scans, etc. etc. only to be told there is nothing wrong.  But that is okay, too.  To be reassured, and always remember the phrase:  "It's only withdrawal."  You may find that comes in handy for awhile.

Welcome to SA!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 7 months later...

Hello,

I'm back here, cause things have gone really bad. The summer was really nice - almost symptom free, but in mid October I started having anxiety again and well now I'm having panic attacks every week and my anxiety has become generalized. The worst symptom I'm having is the feeling that when I'm breathing I can't get enough oxygen.  I'm taking a quarter of 1,5 mg bromazepam every morning and evening now, because I just can't function without. I got to 6 mg of prozac when this started and after that I went up 2 mg, but things have gone worse. Feelin really helpless.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear you are having bad symptoms again Edie. Could you tell us a little more about your Klonopin taper?

It sounds like you may have tapered too fast from 10mg of Prozac before you were stable from your K taper. Is the bromazepam helping?

You are back at 8mg of Prozac now? What supplements are you taking at the moment?

If I were you I would hold where you are and let your nervous system settle down again, no more tapering for a while. Take what you are taking at the same time every day and use self care to manage symptoms until they subside again.

Look back through your thread and read the links posted for you. You will feel better in time, but you will need to be patient.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I was taking a very small dose of Klonopin 0,5 mg twice a day at first and reduced it to 0,25 mg per day and then every other day ect. Didn't feel any symptoms at that time at all. If i think of my history with AD's then it seems that the worst attacks have always come after 3- 6 months of quiting venlafaxine.

The bromazepam helps a little, but yesterday I had to take 4 drops of valium, because I had really bad breathing difficulties which resulted in a major panic attack.

Today I had a emotional crash - cried for a long time and felt really hopeless.

Supplements I'm taking: Multivitamin with minerals (Alive women's), fish oil, 1/4 teaspoon inositol powder twice a day, vit C, mastic gum (for gastritis)

Oh and I forgot to mention a really big thing, I had my appendix removed a week ago (with general anesthesia) and after that everything got worse (the breathing difficulties began).

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie,

I'm glad you came back for more help when you needed it.  You might try stopping the multivitamin - they can be very activating for your CNS.  Instead you could try magnesium - you can dissolve it in water and sip it through the day to help with anxiety.

I imagine the appendix operation has caused extra issues, so some of that might settle down of it's own accord as you heal.  Did they give you any antibiotics?  Sometimes these can cause difficulties if you are already having sensitivities to SSRIs. 

Petunia is right - getting stable is your goal right now.  You might like to re-read the self-care thread and start building up some of that.  Diet can make a big difference too.  It's a hard place you're in right now, so go really gently with yourself.  Drink lots of water, rest plenty.

Hugs,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you for the support!

Yes, they gave me antibiotic shots at the hospital. I woke up from anesthesia with a panic attack and since then I'm having them every evening.

• Moderator Emeritus

Might be time to pull out all the stops on managing panic attacks.  Since you know they come in the evening, you can be prepared for them.  Get the magnesium, have a soothing bath, watch a lovely movie or listen to gentle music.  Learn some EFT techniques, have some mantras ready to go, ask a close friend over to come and sit with you.  Practise some deep outward breaths (that helps to turn off the cortisol).  I like doing gently yoga movements, because it seems to release the tension a bit.   

Use anything you can to start to break down the pattern of the panic-attack.  (You're not drinking caffeine or alcohol?)   

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Thank you again for the advice!

I don't drink alcohol at all, but in the mornings I'm used to have a really light cafe latte. I drink lots of water and have walks every day and also have tried different breathing and meditation techniques, but nothing has really helped this time. I'm not even freaking out when this happens, but I just feel that I can't get enough air and feel very strange. And usually the anxiety comes after the breathing problem has started.

Hi,

I noticed you said you are taking inositol the amount that is suggested on the bottle. (I am taking inositol as well). But from the articles I've read about the effectiveness of inositol it is said that the working dose of inostiol should be as follows:

For panic disorder: 12 to 18 grams per day. (for example in WebMD: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-299-inositol.aspx?activeingredientid=299&activeingredientname=inositol)

So perhaps you are not taking enough. I am currently taking 3 teaspoons (but I'm thinking I should up it to 4). If I take more it upsets my stomach, though. But yeah, from what I've read the amounts of inositol that are effective are way bigger than 1/4 of a teaspoon.

Take care!

erer

• 2,5 years of slowly tapering down Cymbalta from 60 mg. Then tried going from 8,44 mg to 1 mg in 8 days. (April 1st 2015). That's when the real hell started. Reinstated. Didn't help. I was added Ativan (2 mg 2 times a day for relentless akathisia that started with jumping Cymbalta). For years had been taking Zopitin 7,5 mg and Stilnox 10 mg for I had not been able to sleep naturally since the 1st day I started Cymbalta). Used to take Xanax occasionally.
  • All of the above were stopped cold turkey when I was hospitalized in the beginning of May 2015.
  • Prior to that I have been on and off the whole spectrum of different AD-s for 15 years (since I was 17).

My introduction.

Tapering:

• Olanzapine (starting point 2,1 mg): Jan 2016  /---/ April 2018 0 mg. (From 2,1 mg to 0 mg in 1y 3mo).
  • Diazepam (starting at 5 mg) : switching to liquid May 2018;  4,6 mg (June 2018) /---/ 0 mg (Feb 2020) (From 10 to 5 - nobody knows, from 5 to 0 in 1 y 10 mo)
  • Valdoxan (starting at 25 mg): switching to liquid (Feb 2019) /---/ 0 mg (July 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Edie,

I'm sorry you are struggling. I once had surgery under general anesthesia and it seems they gave me too much of it (they had trouble waking me up and I woke up to nurse shaking me frantically). I couldn't sleep a wink for days and I felt horrible in all possible ways. But as everything, it passed.

Things pass unless we make them worse by trying to speed up the process (in particular by adding drugs). Apart from sharing this experience of how anesthesia does affect the CNS but that it eventually passes, I wanted to express my concern at the way you taper in general. I'm not sure you understand you have to grow a new brain regardless of how long it takes. From your signature it seems you just taper too fast and what is more important whenever you make a drug change you don't allow your brain a period to stabilise through holding. After I messed up with my drugs I didn't touch anything for 4 months. It seems you rushed klonopin taper and then very soon after that started reducing Prozac. I'm afraid that if you continue like this you will continue making yourself feel worse...

I think we are all struggling with God Give me patience but do it quickly ​but I hope you can find  this patience and focus improving your quality of life in general while letting tapering fade into the background. It seems that such attitude brings success.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Thanks again for your support!

Yes, I have to admit I've been thinking the same thing - I've gone too fast, because I felt okay. I didn't think that all the WD symptoms can come months after..

At the moment I'm back on 8 mg prozac and I'm not going to do anything with it until I feel normal. The bad thing is that I'm on benzos now - so I really have to think about how to taper these also.

Yesterday my breathing difficulties got so bad I ended up in ER. The good thing is that my lungs are fine and this means the breathing problem has to be in my head..

About the inositol - yes, I've read the same thing. I'm going to start today taking a bit more. I also ordered L -theanine - I read that this has helped also with anxiety and panic. Already started taking magnesium also. Oh and I also have niacin - maybe I should take this as well?

• Moderator Emeritus

When you are introudicing new supplements don't take them all at once. Introduce one at a time at a lowe those so that you are able to see how tehy affect you. If you take them all at once you won't know what is causing what.

There is a benzo subforum where we can look into your benzo situation in more detail. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-forum/

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Okay.. discussed thing with my doc again and ofc the only thing he suggested is to up the dose of prozac to 20mg! which I'm not going to do ofc. I think I will just stick with the 8 mg and small amount of benzos to get me through the worst part.  The anxiety is really extreme this time, it start's when I open my eyes and then gets worse hour  by hour - so I'm afraid i just can't do without a benzo at the moment. The bad thing is that bromazepam doesn't keep the panic attacks away, so I'm thinking of switching maybe back to a really small dose of klonopin. Do you think it's a very bad idea?

Well... So I decided to take klonopin, because the anxiety got really severe and I couldn't do anything. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again!

Things have become very interesting. I told you about my appendix surgery - in the hospital I didn't get to take any prozac for 3 days. After that I started again with 10 mg and on the 3rd day I got fever and really bad nausea - thought I just got sick with some virus and continued with the 10 mg. But things got worse day by day.. the fever didn't go away and at one point I got really agitated and tremors in my legs! I took it for 9 days and called my doc and told him about the symptoms and he said that I have to stop CT, because it is a adverse reaction. Got blood tests done and all toher medical stuff- everything ok. Now I'm 8 days off prozac and only on klonopin to help with all the madness. Still have a low grade fever and extremely fatigued. Also wakw up in the middle of the night with panic attacks and have loads of crying spells. Today I also got my first really bad vertigo. I have no idea what should I do now. doc's ofcourse want to put me on something else, but Im really scared of any SSRI's now...

Oh and I forgot to mention i also got these side effects on prozac: irritation of sinuses, painful urinating (I still have it) - they took 3 urine tests - everything ok, chills, pressure in the head, extreme agitation, tremors, shakiness, panic attacks, loss of apetite, nausea.

Any thoughts??

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie ,

On December 18 you were taking 8mg Prozac , right? Bumping it up by 25% to 10mg caused

you the adverse reaction I'm afraid. I imagine you felt terrible after 9 days of that.

However , by stopping it , you've gone from one extreme to the other , and are now having classic withdrawal symptoms.

Rather than suffering a long drawn out w/d , you might consider restarting prozac at a much lower dose ,

perhaps 2mg , and work your way up as needed.

Try reading the thread on reinstating here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

I'm really scared to try prozac again. I still have fever and this scares me the most.

• Moderator Emeritus

Edie , do you understand that you took a massive dose when you started back on 10mg?

All the symptoms you got in the days after that were because the dose was way too much.

I understand you're scared after that. You did not have those symptoms when you were on 8mg in December.

You were quite stable . . . read over your posts.

Please consider reinstating at 1 or 2 mg to see if it takes the edge off your current symptoms.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

When i took 8 mg in dec I had really bad breathing difficulties and panic attacks already. Anxiety came back in nov.

but you were on 6mg before... then you increased to 8, then to 10. I tend to agree with Fresh that the increase was maybe just too big. the nervous system gets sensitized with withdrawal and then the increasing of dose can get very very activating. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Well.. I think if something gives me fever and makes me really weak then it is a threat to my organism. It has been 10 days since i stopped prozac and I still have low grade fever. Maybe I should wait until it is out of my system and then try something else in a really really small dose. One doc recommended a micro dose of amitryptiline to handle the withdrawal symptoms. Does it sound like a really bad idea?

Thank you for you support!

I feel really thankful for your feedback. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Edie,

Sorry things have got so scary for you.  It's hard to make a decision when you're in that situation. 

I agree with Fresh about trying a very LOW dose. 

The thing is, it's not a matter of 'waiting till it's out of your system' because the drugs have changed how your brain functions.  So even when the last of the prozac has 'gone' the changed brain is still changed.  It will recover and find it's way back to normal, but that takes time - months or years. 

That is why reinstating a small dose often works.  It makes your brain say 'oh, there, that's what we needed, now things are right again and we can stop panicking...'  The idea is to take just enough to provide that relief.  Then, you let your whole system settle.  And then you begin a gentle taper. 

Take some deep breaths, you can get through this.

Karen

8 month hold.

Okay. I think now I know what ACTUALLY happened. Read some articles and put the picture together. On the 22th of dec I took 2, 5 mg of amitriptyline, because of insomnia (I took in the morning also my prozac). Day later I had dry mouth and nausea (thought I caught a flu or smth) then the next day I got fever, tremors, anxiety, agitation ect. And I thought I was having an adverse reaction because of the higher dose of prozac. What actually happened is I got amitriptyline toxicity. I read this article: http://doublecheckmd.com/viewFullDI.do?forReview=true&reviewId=25265 and found out that :

Combining these medications can increase the blood levels of tricyclic antidepressants to toxic levels (and cause significant side effects). This drug combination can cause severe increases in body temperature and extremely high fevers. This drug interaction can cause effects for an extended period of time because amitriptyline (amitriptyline) remains in the system for up to several weeks."

Amitriptyline can stay in your system from 4 - 21 days. This explains why the symptoms have not gone away. Anyway two days from now I should be finally free from this poison. Lucky I took such a low dose....

At the moment I still have a very low grade fever and some fatigue. But nausea, tremors and agitation are gone..

Still not sure what to do with the prozac..

Maybe an idea would be to reinstate a very low dose of prozac? 2mg?

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Perhaps wait those 2 days and then see what is happening for you without the complication of the Amitriptyline.  Good sleuthing btw.

8 month hold.

I think I have to add that the suggestion to use amitriptyline came from my doc. I told him that for what I know prozac and amitriptyline are dangerous together. He said.. not at this small dose. And he still won't admit that all this is because of these meds.. thinks that it might be a virus or just from nerves.. yeah right.

update: today my fever fas very low - maybe a sign that this is finally getting out of my body? I also went to a cardiologist who is going to do all kinds of tests ect. to make sure my heart is okay after this poisoning. I've had trouble with racing heart these days and feel a discomfort in my chest. That can also ofc. be cause of the WD.

Calling tomorrow a new doc also to discuss all the anticholinergic side effects ect.

Edie.  Did you C/T Prozac in December?

11 January .  Quote : Still not sure what to do with the prozac.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014