SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SurvivingAntidepressants.org in Christopher Lane's Psych Today blog

Altostrata

• Administrator

Christopher Lane, author of Shyness: How Normal Behavior Became a Sickness, mentioned SurvivingAntidepressants.org extensively in his Psychology Today blog Side Effects. Published today, the article is titled Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome: Findings, Recommendations, and Resources.

He also posted a pointer to Dr. Carlotta Belaise's call for prolonged withdrawal cases for upcoming medical journal articles.

The link to the article is https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/side-effects/201107/antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome

Thank you, Christopher Lane, for educating the public about antidepressant withdrawal syndrome and your kind words for SurvivingAntidepressants.org.

Edited by Altostrata
updated link

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Most Excellent read!!!!!

Prozac withdrawal about 6 years ago

amitryptilene

nortryptilene

zoloft

effexor

celexa withdrawal about 4 years ago

currently withdrawing form 13 years of Trazodone use for insomnia

Hey guys, this part of the article really scared me....crying now.....

Several receptors--including 5-HT1A--aren't especially malleable, moreover, and take longer to sprout anew after drug treatment ends, delaying the patient's return to neuronal health. Indeed, some studies I consulted found that in certain patients those receptors fail to grow back at all, in effect leaving the patients worse off than before

What the heck?! I hope my recepters heal....Freaking out!!!!

On antidepressants since October 1997 including: Paxil, Celexa, Cipralex, Effexor (a couple of days only, horrible stuff.....), Pristiq 50 mg.

Started to taper off Pristiq Feb 2011, last pill April 9, 2011

Take the occassional Clonazapam when morning anxiety too much to handle.

Post menopausal - started low dose BHRT 27July10

Reinstated 5mg of Escitalopram (Cipralex), 2 Aug 2010

Stopped taking BHRT 19Aug11

Increased to 10 mg Cipralex 19Aug11

Increased to 15 mg Cipralex 29Aug11

• Administrator

Not all antidepressants work on 5-HT1A.

As a knowledgeable doctor told me, there's so much redundancy built into the serotonin system, even if some receptors did not upregulate, others would take over -- neuroplasticity again.

Please do not worry about these hypothetical issues.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hey guys, this part of the article really scared me....crying now.....

... Indeed, some studies I consulted found that in certain patients those receptors fail to grow back at all, in effect leaving the patients worse off than before

What the heck?! I hope my recepters heal....Freaking out!!!!

As Alto said to me (I'm paraphrasing), it all depends on how long they did their study for. If they only studied it for 6 months and it actually takes one year to heal, but how can they draw their conclusions that it never heals?

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

The vast numbers of people suffering from this syndrome are very much in Altostrata's debt for helping to document this phenomenon and for giving it the medical attention it so clearly needs and deserves.

I couldn't agree more. Thank you so much for your thorough research and persistence in getting medical professionals, researchers, and reporters to listen. I'm sure I don't know even half of all you've done for this cause.

1989 to 2008: Prozac then Paxil then Celexa.

Numerous attempts to quit.

Then I got off the SSRI poop-out merry-go-round.

11-12 week taper.

Muddy water, let stand, becomes clear

If you're going through hell, keep walking

The only way out is through

• Administrator

As many of you know, I started making these contacts 5 years ago, so I've just been adding a very small push to the entire movement. Things are coming together now. This is because so many people have been working on this, especially Robert Whitaker, whose book Anatomy of an Epidemic may well be the Silent Spring of psychiatry.

The receptor studies are done on mice, and over months, not years. The brain cells need to be examined microscopically and, I'm sorry to say, this means a dead mouse.

Nobody asks the mice how they feel while withdrawing, either. I'm sure they weren't carefully tapered off the drugs.

• 11 months later...

Bump. And THANK YOU.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Thanks, pb. That's the article in this topic.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy