SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Skyler, the benzo-Lyrica connection

Skyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello All. I'm tapering off Benzos (working with another forum for this, don't worry.. the location will remain unnamed! :rolleyes: ).. and reading up on issues with anti-depressants and ant-psychotics.. the other two legs of the merry psychotropic trio.

Your forum is wonderful, and I'm very glad to have found you!!!

Georgie

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Hi, Georgie. I moved your first post here as your introduction.

Glad you like the site. You're most welcome here. Although we don't focus on benzos, many people taking antidepressants also face tapering off benzos.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Georgie, and welcome to SA.

I'm still tapering the AD I'm on, and hope to tackle the benzo after that.

Charter Member 2011

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Georgie, and welcome to SA.

I'm still tapering the AD I'm on, and hope to tackle the benzo after that.

Hello, and thank you all. I was looking for my post! Guess I should do a sig line that reflects my benzo withdrawal. Once I figure out how it works here... By the time I get off the benzo, the taper will have taken 2 years, and that is if I don't hit a glitch, so touchdown will be mid June 2012. I started to taper 7/10/2010 at 3 mgs Klonopin. Currently I'm at 5.75 mgs of diazepam, will be down to 5 mgs by the end of August, then will be taking 2 weeks for every .25 mg cut from here on out. Touchdown projected for mid June 2012.

:rolleyes:

I want to know more about coming off antidepressants, and what it's like to be on. Years ago I was put on a low dose of imipramine for fibro and almost had a grand mal seizure after a few months. The reason the almost did not turn into the full deal was I stopped taking said after having a very substantial aura. The doc I had at the time told me I was making the whole thing up, and it was not possible to have a seizure from what he prescribed. I walked.. but still ended up with myoclonic jerks when going into stage 2 sleep.. for which I was prescribed klonopin.. fast forward to the present.

Georgie

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Oooof, sounds like you got a benzo prescription for an adverse drug reaction.

Well, you'll definitely get an idea of antidepressant withdrawal from reading the Intro topics here, and the Tapering forum.

Instructions for signature here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

Oooof, sounds like you got a benzo prescription for an adverse drug reaction.

Well, you'll definitely get an idea of antidepressant withdrawal from reading the Intro topics here, and the Tapering forum.

I would say the response was iatrogenic.. The doc who put me on said I made the whole thing up, my dose was too low to cause such a response, and the fact I was reporting the symptoms was proof I did not want to get well... :angry:

Thanks for reading.. I'll be looking around to learn from the experiences of others. Any maybe share some benzo tales if asked.

Georgie

• Administrator

....The doc who put me on said I made the whole thing up, my dose was too low to cause such a response, and the fact I was reporting the symptoms was proof I did not want to get well...

Hey, we've all been told that, even about documented and obvious adverse reactions.

It's caused some of us to become sort of anti-psychiatry.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey, we've all been told that, even about documented and obvious adverse reactions.

Sort of? :rolleyes: You are too kind!

A rheumatologist prescribed the imipramine. The neurologist thought my complaints were very real, but he stuck me on benzos. Clonozepam was the pill de jour for myoclonus at the time, and for 20 years I thought they were controlling the symptom. Oh.. I also had daytime myoclonus which responded to the clon.. and those probably should have ruled out the tricyclics from the get-go. I'm holding my breath that neither recur. So far so good.

I have been on Wellburtin several times for fibro related depression; they are the only antidepressants I can tolerate.. but thankfully got off when the depression remitted in 3 months. Won't take anymore of those however.. there is something to be said for will power!

Georgie

• Administrator

Those jerks that woke you up were probably a withdrawal symptom. Many of us have them or have had them. It's the alerting system going on overdrive, rebelling when you get sleepy.

• Moderator Emeritus

Those jerks that woke you up were probably a withdrawal symptom. Many of us have them or have had them. It's the alerting system going on overdrive, rebelling when you get sleepy.

I had the jerks when I was on the antidepressants.. but they did not stop when I stopped taking them. They were so marked it felt like I went airborne off the mattress. Of course this was not the case, but the jerks were strong enough to give this sensation, and they aggravated the fibro.

Then when I almost had the seizure.. the neurologist said I was a hair trigger away, it was the final straw. At least the fire storm in my head (an aura.. the sun flashing through trees while riding in a car evoked the sensation) did not recur after I went off... just what the fibro would have needed though, a full blown grand mal seizure, and I was scared out of my wits.

Sounds like my tale of woe is all to familiar, as I read on I'll see same and much more.

Thanks for reading,

Georgie

Hello Georgie.

Welcome, I had a friend that stopped bezos cold turkey, they said it was really bad and hard, so I hope tapering makes the process easier to cope with, withdrawal is hard period!!

This website is a blessing giving support, understanding and hope for those left in the dark and going through the darkness!

I wish you wellness and healing.

On Pristiq last month went down to 50mg, cut pills in half for a week did good, next week reduced to 1/4 withdrawals came. My body hurt so bad, running to the bathroom, couldn't eat, stomach in knots, anxiety so intense Ativan didn't help much, scared to be alone but couldn't be around anyone, so unattached to myself, didn't sleep for 2 or 3 nights. By day 3 I just didn't care, I wanted it done, no more Pristiq. Very fortunate I didn't get brain zaps, I think I would have lost it. I struggle with periods of intense aggression that has almost turned into violence when a lady smarted off, the thoughts that come with it scare me and are out of nowhere.

A week without still can't eat, got some sleep but back to not sleeping even with sleeping pills, still in and out, aggression, anxiety let up, running to bathroom, stomach in knots, overwhelming feelings something is wrong. Keeping hope as I have brief moments of clarity!

• Moderator Emeritus

So far I'm going fine with my withdrawal.. but I'm taking the long, slow route. Not my turtle avatar... It will be close to a full two years before I'm free.

Sorry to hear about your friend.. Cold Turkey is very dangerous.. and the post withdrawal is protracted. For many, there is no short way off, you pays your dues. Only problem is, noone tells you at the front end, and most docs just don't want to know.

Georgie

Hoi Georgie

Iwas on Benzo as well and the lovely doctors ct me in a hospital.....after that they put me on ADs-...................it is s doubble nightmare!!!

PLEASE......dont go on ADs during or after your benzojourney!!!

Greetings

Leon

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry to hear you had one drug put on top of another that way. It must have been a nightmare. I'm 'only' on the benzos and coming off that, with the exception of Requip that takes care of restless legs... I'm not ever going to take any psychotropics again as long as I'm empowered not to. They seem dreadful to me, and the more I learn, the more dreadful they sound.

Thanks for responding, and all the very best to you,

Georgie

• Administrator

And exercise may take care of restless legs -- talk to a good chiropractor or physical therapist!

Requip also has its withdrawal problems, something else to look forward to.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure there are many drugs that do not have withdrawal symptoms.. but I may be stuck with Requip. I'm not sure yet.. the RLS Legs predated the benzos... I'm on .25 to .5 mgs, so the dose is relatively low.. but then I remember that the dose of K I was on was supposedly low... right. I'm crossing my fingers that I can withdraw from the Requip when finished tapering from the benzos in 2010, but I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the heads up on Requip though... folks around here sure have each others backs.

Georgie

• 8 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi..I'm tapering off diazepam, almost done, and Lyrica. Lyrica is front and center. I just found out I'm having withdrawal.. something I did not need to deal with in the past when terminating lyrica.. guess I hit the kindling wall. I'm also on the final laps with diazepam, which could be complicating the picture.

Anyhow.. I'm wondering if any have had success turning down the volume on tinnitis related to withdrawal.

Thanks,

Georgie

PS... I'd love to hear from anyone who has had to taper off lyrica! :( and I hope this was the right section for this post..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello all... I've been reluctant to take an active part in the forum because I'm getting off benzos.. and should be free in 2 months. The problem is, I'm in the soup with Lyrica and there is no dedicated forum support on the web. I was put on Lyrica 300 mgs 4 years ago for 18 months (Dx fibromyalgia). I got off by cutting down over a period of 2 months. (Obviously, not the same as tapering).

Nine months ago, the fibro flared again, and I reinstated Lyrica, mostly at 150 mgs, sometimes 300mgs. (my fibro flares last for as long as 2 years). I got away with up dosing and then cutting back several times. I heard warnings that Lyrica :excl: could become a problem, but did not fully appreciate the jeopardy I was in. Piece of cake, not the same withdrawal odyssey as with benzos. I searched and found a dearth of info, nothing when compared to the warnings about benzo use.. Unfortunately, the wide spread use of anticonvulsants is relatively new, so does not have the same sort of track record, yet. But I did not realize this, and thought that if the danger was serious, I would have found an array of prohibitions on the web.

Back to the present; the last time I successfully cut back was 2 months ago, there was some ringing in my ears. Not pleasant, but not strong enough to set off the alarm bells that should have been. Then, 4 weeks ago, I fell and further aggravated the fibro. Piece of cake methought. I went back up to 300 mgs from the 150 I was taking. The pain remitted in 10 days, and given the unpleasant side effects, I thought to hop off before incurring another period long enough to warrant graduated cutbacks, so I just dropped back to 150 mgs Lyrica.

BAD MOVE. Tinnitus screeching in my ears. I'm seriously hooked and need to follow a 10% taper schedule to get off. Argh, I've been so careful with benzos, by the book, never a misstep in 21 months. But I more than made up for this with my willy-nily approach to Lyrica. Right now I'm struggling to stabilize at 300 mgs.. :( At present, the ringing is somewhat better... down 60% or so. I'm hoping hold times for lyrica reductions are closer to 1 week, as opposed to the 4 weeks needed for diazepam. I had to up dose back to 300 mgs of lyrica, and been at that level for 3 days now.

Play it again, or Sam, say it just a'int so. Bob Whitaker is right, at the lowest common denominator, addition, psychotropics are alike. It's just a matter of time.. longer for some, shorter for others, but the end game is the same.

Schuyler

PS... I will update my sig line shortly

• Moderator Emeritus

BAD MOVE. Tinnitus screeching in my ears. I'm seriously hooked and need to follow a 10% taper schedule to get off. Argh, I've been so careful with benzos, by the book, never a misstep in 21 months. But I more than made up for this with my willy-nily approach to Lyrica. Right now I'm struggling to stabilize at 300 mgs.. :( At present, the ringing is somewhat better... down 60% or so. I'm hoping hold times for lyrica reductions are closer to 1 week, as opposed to the 4 weeks needed for diazepam. I had to up dose back to 300 mgs of lyrica, and been at that level for 3 days now.

Play it again, or Sam, say it just a'int so.Bob Whitaker is right, addiction is the common denominator for psychotropics. It's just a matter of time.. longer for some, shorter for others, but the end game is the same.

Schuyler

PS... I will update my sig line shortly

I'm a compulsive editor.. and ran out of time on this one!

The last two sections should read:

At present, the ringing is somewhat better... down 60% or so. I'm hoping hold times for lyrica reductions are closer to 1 week, as opposed to the 4 weeks needed for diazepam.. time will tell.

Play it again, or Sam, say it just a'int so. Bob Whitaker is right, at the lowest common denominator, addiction, psychotropics are alike. It's just a matter of time.. longer for some, shorter for others, but the end game is the same.

AND... Huge GROAN: From another part of this forum "taper with 10% and hold for 3 to 4 week cuts". How could I have believed benzoz were alone with the need for so much time.. ARGH!

"Compulsive editor" LOL :-)

Welcome but sorry you had to find your way here ~

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

"Compulsive editor" LOL :-)

Welcome but sorry you had to find your way here ~

Hi Barb.. thanks for your welcome. I'm having a rough time just now.. ears ringing, throwing my concentration, along with the lyrica induced short term memory stuff. So I'm not doing so well tracking doses, and messing myself up more.

I thought I had taken my 9AM dose.. but then later, with my ears droning on, and my tummy having snits, I thought better and took the dose (wrong either way... too little, or too late.. really bad).

So now, I'm journaling for liquid cuts and tracking symptoms, and using a med minder to make sure I take the two pills a day. Alto was talking about the need to fine tune.. at this point, I'd settle for keeping a tune.

Just trying not to make things yet worse.

Schuyler :wacko:

• Moderator Emeritus

Ohhh, this is bad. Groan. My ears are shrieking again. Probably what made me think I had not taken the capsule this morning. In any case, I now have a journal in which I'm chronicling the sounds.. and the agitation, and the stomach bit. Just had to cancel an apt with work.. and then was not up to answering the phone.

So now, I'm journaling for liquid cuts and tracking symptoms, and using a med minder to make sure I take the two pills a day. Alto was talking about the need to fine tune.. at this point, I'd settle for keeping a tune. 11 AM and 11 PM for at least the next four days.. scrupulous from here on out. Now all I have to do is ignore the cascade of white noise that is ricocheting between my ears.

Schuyler

• Moderator Emeritus

having a hard time posting... this was in error.

....The doc who put me on said I made the whole thing up, my dose was too low to cause such a response, and the fact I was reporting the symptoms was proof I did not want to get well...

LOL. Cracks me up.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alex... I'm in a very different place just now. The post you referenced went to last July...

Thanks,

Schuyler

PS.. My knees are acting like jelly.. and I'm afraid of falling on the floor.. among other withdrawal effects.

I took a benzo cut on Sunday night, down from 1.5 to 1.25 mgs as scheduled. I wonder if one withdrawal is bleeding thru to the other here.

• Moderator Emeritus

A belated welcome. Schuyler. I'm sorry you are going through a bad time. Most of us, here, can relate. I, and others here, have the tinnitus in common to you. On a day here and there it's not here, but most days it's alarming like today. Another survivor shared with me that it has something to do with a nerve dying, if Im remembering it right.

It's on my thrad if you'd like to check out what she said. I'd check it myself and relay to you but I haven't posted much lately due to a long, bad window.

Hope you feel better soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

A belated welcome. Schuyler. I'm sorry you are going through a bad time. Most of us, here, can relate. I, and others here, have the tinnitus in common to you. On a day here and there it's not here, but most days it's alarming like today. Another survivor shared with me that it has something to do with a nerve dying, if Im remembering it right.

It's on my thrad if you'd like to check out what she said. I'd check it myself and relay to you but I haven't posted much lately due to a long, bad window.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank-you for your kind words.. in the wee hours, it seemed like a fire alarm was going off.. a nerve dying, could be. Sure felt like an end. I will check your thread today. It feels like the 'bells and whistles' have leveled off some, and I'm not about to take an extra dose anytime soon as I closed the window thru which I made the error. One thing.. I found out just how bad staggering doses is. Yikes.. if being taking one extra dose by accident can make so much difference, no wonder the withdrawal symptoms got fired up with a week of varying doses. OUCH!

See you on your thread,

Schuyler

• Administrator

Schuyler, tapering Lyrica and a benzo at the same time may be too much stress on your system.

They both act on GABA, although a little differently. But effectively, you're doubling your benzo withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Schuyler, tapering Lyrica and a benzo at the same time may be too much stress on your system.

They both act on GABA, although a little differently. But effectively, you're doubling your benzo withdrawal.

Hi Alto, and thanks. The toxic effects of Lyrica are over the top (memory issues) and I don't want to wait another 8 months (the recommended including the bottom of the benzo taper, and 6 months recovery) before I start to go off.

The acute withdrawal symptoms are remitting, thank the not so merciful heavens. So, I'm going to take until April 15 (provided the present symptoms are completely gone in the next several days) to stabilize at 300 mgs (like there is a choice), then try micro tapering (MT). Should the tinnitus reappear this will need rethinking. I'll be hyper alert for any signs. From the odyssey of the last couple of weeks.. I don't pick up white noise, it goes onto automatic pilot, and is much harder to interrupt. Avoid if at all possible the outcome wherein neuro plasticity has the last 'say', and tinnitus does not remit.

Hopefully this sounds judicious?

Schuyler

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello All!!

Thought I'd post an update. It appears I was able to still the tinnitus. Today it's subsided far into the background. I feel great! Taking doses of Lyrica at the same times, 11AM and 11 PM.. instead of missing and moving them all around has led to marked improvement.

I'm going to hold for 2 weeks, then start to do a micro taper, averaging out to the 10% cut rate.. I'm not doing the micro cuts to go faster, just smoother.

You guys were a great help, :blush::wub:

Schuyler

• Administrator

Suggest you postpone any further benzo cuts until you're safely off Lyrica.

• Moderator Emeritus

Suggest you postpone any further benzo cuts until you're safely off Lyrica.

Hi Alto.. I understand where you are coming from, but that is impossible. Doing so would undermine my resolve, and the entire tapering process. If it takes 8 months total to spring free, I'll have to wait. But I suspect this will not be necessary. If I run into difficulty.. even as much as an echo of tinnitus, I will think about it, but I've been 'chomping on the bit'.. every day for the past two years with this goal in sight.

If I seriously entertained this now, I'd end up in a bucket of tears, stuck, and eek, it's in the DNA as firmly as some of the genetic GABA changes.. I can't even contemplate the thought of stopping. The 'Little Engine that could' has to give it a go. But for sure, I've been cautious all the way down, every !@# cut, and will not blow off everything I've gained.

I have done better than anyone else I know in a similar situation. I've been just outside of symptoms all the way, and avoided triggering them to any extent. Almost symptom free, when the slightest misstep showed withdrawal hovering in the background. I will listen to my body very carefully...

Schuyler

PS.. there is always the issue with interdose tolerance with benzos, and I'm not sure I could stop the taper without consequences even if I wanted to.

• Moderator Emeritus

Rough weekend... I took the wrong dose of Lyrica.. this time for sure. The reason for being certain is that within 30 minutes the quiescent tinnitus started again, and has not been clamoring again for the last 30 hours.

ARGH! I took a caspsule from the med minder next to my water glass to take in an hour and as it was not there, I wondered if I could have taken it. When I looked on the floor to see if it had fallen, there it was. Unfortunately, that had to have been one that fell earlier but I took another not realizing this was the problem.

Given the forgetfulness, I need to come off Lyica first.. but I have taken a benzo cut every 2 weeks since July 2010. I'm trying to find out what might happen stopping at this low a dose, but so far have found no one who has tried to do this at anywhere near a low a dose.. people are generally way happy to get off. I'm concerned about the post withdrawal period I'm closing in on... 8 weeks out, and no more benzos. I would be free.. I don't know, I really don't think I can stop.

Is lag time, time on a taper when one is asymptomatic but cuts too fast then has symptoms that catch up further down, as notorious on other psychotropics as it is on benzos?

Schuyler

• Administrator

I freely admit I'm not up on the ins and outs of benzo tapering.

Sorry, Schuyler, I can't predict what will happen if you taper Lyrica at the same time you taper your benzo. Most of us would like to strike a bargain for mild withdrawal symptoms but who are you bargaining with?

Correct, sometimes when you rock the boat, it gets very unstable for a long time. I can't tell you if there's a way you can sneak off the Lyrica and not feel it. You'll have to listen to your body and decide for yourself.

• Moderator Emeritus

Who are you bargaining with?

The devil it would appear.

Correct, sometimes when you rock the boat, it gets very unstable for a long time. I can't tell you if there's a way you can sneak off the Lyrica and not feel it. You'll have to listen to your body and decide for yourself.

Looks like I may take one or two conservative tries with a micro taper, and if I'm more than slightly symptomatic, fold until the beginning of August, when I'm 6 weeks out from the last of the benzos. I've considered holding diazepam, but the dose is so low now the effect of a Lyrica taper might be amplified almost as if I've gone completely free.

Thanks for all your effort.. time to hang up my 'spurs' and digest what I've learned.

Schuyler

Hey Schuyler,

I'm sorry about the situation you're in. I'm familiar with it, at least to a degree, since I am in a similar boat.

Curious: What benzo board do you frequent? Which would you recommend?

best of luck,

Alex

PS - Bargaining with the devil is a tough proposition. The devil always seems to win. Except I think if you're Johnny Cash or something...

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman