SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets

Patience

Ok thanks for sharing.,yes I think I maybe had dietary probs all along..

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

I'm on gluten-free-casein-free diet, almost 2 years (same time I've been withdrawing). things have gotten much, much better! but I also have taken broad and high dosage vitamin-mineral complex, so I can't be sure what exactly has done what. I went on the diet after taking opioid peptides test, which had positive results.

the changes - I do not experience depression anymore. I have withdrawal symptoms though, these are tiredness, irritability, sleep problems - those are not taken away. but I don't actually remember being in a dark depressive hole for a long time. same with anxiety. it hasn't been my main problem, but I remember I used to be socially anxious. now I'm not, at all. It has also gotten easier to connect with people (this may be also due to lower dosages on psych drugs). 

the thing that amazes me most, is that my painful, disturbing, never-ending, torturing loneliness problem has dissapeared completely! it used to be so built in me for like 10 years or so, no treatment took those feelings totally away - so it kind of felt like a character trait already. so when it dissapeared, I was totally amazed, still am! it used to be so hard being alone, it was like a big hole in me, nothing filled that. now I totally enjoy being alone, and the whole basis and balance of my relationships has changed. it's totally mindblowing, comparing to the past!

the changes did not come quickly though. maybe at 7 months I started noticing those improvements. 

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

Started withdrawing slowly since april 2013. Mostly around 10% cuts. 

April'13 - March'14: fluoxetine 40mg -> 19,5mg; quetiapine 50mg -> 40mg
April'14-March'15: fluoxetine 19,5mg -> 14,4mg; quetiapine 40mg -> 22mg

April'15-March'16: fluoxetine 14,4mg -> 7,4mg; quetiapine 22mg -> 15mg

April'16-March'17: fluoxetine 7,4mg -> 5,0mg; quetiapine 15mg -> 7,25mg

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

Wow..Rapunzel..that's fantastic to hear..I also had that affect yrs ago when i did an elimination diet...but since this disaster with ads for years no diet tweaking has ever helped..but hopefully once I stabilise and am on low doses and defo cut out dairy for good this is gonna help..I'm not suicidal ATM but the thought of living with this heavy depression urgh..need to do something..

I also experience this..excruciating loneliness with this heaviness..I thought this was bad and it is but nothing can compare to WD depression oh no lol..

So pleased to hear :) do you manage to stick to it easily?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

You didn't notice any improvements for 7 months?

I noticed some in 3 months already.. got a feeling that maybe it's even ok to excist :) (before that I was suicidally depressed). but I do attribute that to my vitamin-mineral cocktail, I don't know it it has to do with diet. they say that gluten takes a lot of time to leave the body. casein should be faster.

I've gotten used to the diet. it means a lot of home cooking though, which can take a lot of energy. the first 3 months were very stressful though, all I could think of was what can I eat. but when I learned and accustomed, now it's not an issue. benefits outweigh the costs :)

in 2002- 0,5 tablet cipramil for half a year, ended it uneventfully. in 2006 - citalopram for half a year, ended in horrific state, ditched the drugs CT. 2007-2008 not feeling well but drug free. in 2008 prozac 20mg + quetiapine 25mg. 2009 tried to stop, ended up in hole after couple of months, started zoloft. 2009-2011 zoloft 50mg. went to 25mg in 2011 summer, it resulted in half a year horrible suffering. reinstated, changed drugs, nothing happened. by 2012 beginning suddenly felt great and CT meds. after 4 months came suddenly most horrible human suffering that's possible. was started on prozac and questiapine. started tapering slowly, GFCF diet and Hardy Nutritionals vitamins in 2013 summer. 

current medications: 1) fluoxetine and quetiapine since Aug 2012; 2) Daily Essential Nutrients by Hardy Nutritionals 7 capsules / since May 2013 + omega3; 3) Gluten-free-casein-free diet since june 2013

April'17-March'18: fluoxetine 5,0mg -> 4,0mg; quetiapine 7,25mg -> 0 (as of 1st Feb 2018)!!!!

April´18-March´19: fluoxetine 4,0mg - > 2,3mg. Jumped off fluoxetine 1,4mg due to pregnancy in July 2019. Oct 2019 severe withdrawal syndrome started.

Took mistakenly a complex for hormonal support that included pregnenolone dec2019-april2020. Stopped it april 2020 and immediately severe akathisia started. Have had life threatening akathisia since, 100% disabled, suicidal, very hard to hold on. 

• 2 months later...

Lost my typing!

I just wanted to ad that I believe the Weston A Price Foundation dietary principles (paleo has lots of similar principles but excludes grain and dairy) has helped my mum enormously. We started on GAPS then slowly introduced properly prepared grains. We use gelatine every days, especially on bad days where mum can't chew or digest solid food. We make bone broth always but also have back up processed gelatine Great Lakes for making an easy cuppa soup. Raw milk kefir or pasteurised un-homogenised kefir has helped us lots too. 

This is how we should eat all the time. I've been doing it 10 years and its fantastic. A lot more room to move with WAPF especially if you have access to raw dairy. Mildly kefired raw cream is wonderful on berries :)

Mum's been 13 months without any pharmaceutical medication. After almost 20 years on lexapro and zoloft. She is currently experiencing windows that last almost 3 weeks after waves of near 3 weeks. Its just unbelievable that after so long she can still experience a wave. Her weight is still low at 49kg. Mums last window was powerful, like she was totally healed, really enjoying life and food like never before! 

* January 2015 I'm supporting my mum age 63 through withdrawal. She has moved in with me and my family, cannot be alone or look after herself. Suicidal episodes, exhausted but unable to sit still, severe anxiety on an off, chronic diarrhoea and digestive issues, fear and gloom, very thin.

*1996 (?) Zoloft (minimum dose) for 15 years, minus 2 to 3 separate years that were attempted unsuccessful WDrawal.

*2010 Lexapro minimum dose for the past 4 years.

*Reduced Lexapro Oct 2013 (minimum dose) by skipping days over a 7 month period. Last med taken end of April 2014, 9 months ago. NO other meds. Initial diet was GAPS eased into a mostly Weston A Price Foundation diet. Supplement with wild fish oil, coconut oil, St Mary's thistle, 5 ml whisky/30 ml water (in emergencies), kefir, gelatine drinks and probiotics.

Aug 3 2015 update. Doing much better, still thin and poor appetite. Discovered decay in an old root canal filling. Removal in one week. Root canals are dangerous as they support pathogenic bacteria some of which are attracted to the brain. 

UPDATE May 2016 Mum's been living on her own in our country home since August 2015! This is huge considering its a big old house on a bush property with no close neighbours. Mum is doing very well, enjoying food and friends. She is now making plans to buy a home back in her own home community near her friends and family. Mum continues to pay attention to eating good wholesome foods and connecting with loved ones. Mum continues fortnightly psychotherapy with a private female therapist who doesn't support drug use. 

After religiously following the paleo and candida diet for 8 months I decided it was making things worse...and then I read this:

http://chriskresser.com/is-a-low-carb-diet-ruining-your-health/

Specifically the part about Low carbs increasing cortisol and not being recommended for this with HPA dysfunction.

Certainly everyone's body is different but I think my diet may actually be making things worse

HISTORY: Lexapro 10mg (current and for approximately 7 years; Prozac 20mg for 5 years and Zoloft 50mg for 5 years)

Lexapro (too fast taper) 9mg 09/13; 8mg 10/13; 7mg 12/13; 6mg  02/14; 5mg  04/14; 4mg 06/14 2.5mg 08/29/14 2.25 mg 12/04/14;

Re-instatement - 2.5mg 12/17/14; 03/01/15 3.0 mg; 04/01/15 - 5mg;  05/01/15  6mg; 5/15/15 6.5mg 6/01/15 7.5mg

2nd attempt at micro taper: starting dose is 7.5mg using liquid compounded rx: 12/16/17 - 7mg;  02/05/18 - 6.75mg 04/06/18 - 6.5ml  05/31/18 re-instate back to 6.75mg 

Hi Silver Star,

interesting and I've read this before. That's why I like WAPF so much because its based on the traditional diets of 14 healthy isolated indigenous groups  studied by Dr Price in the 1920's and 30's. I've read "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration". I find it to be a powerful nutritional foundation. I think diets like GAPS and candida can work wonders for some people in the short term but not in the longer term. I don't think they're intended for long term use. Full GAPS diet, used for up to 2 years depending can be quite high in carbs if one wants it to be. Raw dairy is fairly high in carbs, kefir not so much but the banana is :) 

Has WAPF been mentioned here? Too much for me to read, I guess I'll slowly get around :) 

When I first picked mum up, she looked shocking. White around her eyes, thin, freezing, shocking breath from diarrhoea and not being able to eat. She peaked about 8 months after her last medication. For the next few weeks I focused on full GAPS with kefir smoothies. Her poo got better, far prom perfect but at least she was holding on to enough food/drink to stay hydrated and feel better. Once stable we introduced other properly prepared whole foods. I think bone broth based soups are crucial when very sick, they kept mum from ending up in hospital.  

* January 2015 I'm supporting my mum age 63 through withdrawal. She has moved in with me and my family, cannot be alone or look after herself. Suicidal episodes, exhausted but unable to sit still, severe anxiety on an off, chronic diarrhoea and digestive issues, fear and gloom, very thin.

*1996 (?) Zoloft (minimum dose) for 15 years, minus 2 to 3 separate years that were attempted unsuccessful WDrawal.

*Reduced Lexapro Oct 2013 (minimum dose) by skipping days over a 7 month period. Last med taken end of April 2014, 9 months ago. NO other meds. Initial diet was GAPS eased into a mostly Weston A Price Foundation diet. Supplement with wild fish oil, coconut oil, St Mary's thistle, 5 ml whisky/30 ml water (in emergencies), kefir, gelatine drinks and probiotics.

Aug 3 2015 update. Doing much better, still thin and poor appetite. Discovered decay in an old root canal filling. Removal in one week. Root canals are dangerous as they support pathogenic bacteria some of which are attracted to the brain. 

UPDATE May 2016 Mum's been living on her own in our country home since August 2015! This is huge considering its a big old house on a bush property with no close neighbours. Mum is doing very well, enjoying food and friends. She is now making plans to buy a home back in her own home community near her friends and family. Mum continues to pay attention to eating good wholesome foods and connecting with loved ones. Mum continues fortnightly psychotherapy with a private female therapist who doesn't support drug use. 

• 11 months later...

Has anyone found a high calorie drink they can tolerate I need to stop losing weight I eat high calorie healthy food but not a lot of it thanks

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

• 2 years later...

I've been eating a pretty clean ketogenic for about a month now, and so far I really like the results.

Feel much clearer in my mind, and spend so much less time thinking about and struggling with food. In the last week I've drifted into eating only two meals a day, a sort of intermittent fasting schedule, which is effortless (one less meal to think about). 

I've lost 3kg too which is great.

Results could be due to eliminating all grains, and not a ketogenic diet in itself. Also could be due to eliminating sugar and most packaged foods, and eating more veggies and whole foods. Hard to say, but being able to relax about fat (as per kept protocol) certainly makes it really easy to eat this way. I've also eaten a little red meat (3-4 times in last month), which I haven't for years. 

I'll keep posting in the interests of science!

Celexa (Citalopram)    40mg  - 60mg - 40mg for 7 years          Tapered (over 3 months) drug-free Aug–Nov 2013 CRASH

40mg    Dec 2013 – Jan 2017 (7 weeks reinstatement hell then relief)

2017:    20mg    30 Jan       18mg   19 April          16mg   6 May          14mg   20 May      12mg  10 Jun

10mg   7 July          9mg    7 Aug               8mg     16 Oct          7.5mg  27 Nov         

2018:    7mg      8 Jan          6.5mg  12 Feb          6mg  17 Mar            5.2mg  14 Apr      5mg  28 Apr

4.8mg  4 Jun           4.6mg   23 Jun         4.4mg   24 Jul          4.2mg 13 Aug      4mg  20 Aug

3.8mg  1 Sep           3.6mg  28 Sep          3.4mg  14 Oct          3.2mg  11 Nov     3mg  5 Dec

5mg    26 Dec          10mg  28 Dec

Added Valdoxan 25mg   12 Dec 2018      stopped 24 Jan 2019

Wellbutrin 150mg     25 Jan

• 1 month later...
On 8/21/2018 at 3:28 PM, TikkiTikki said:

I've been eating a pretty clean ketogenic for about a month now, and so far I really like the results.

Feel much clearer in my mind, and spend so much less time thinking about and struggling with food. In the last week I've drifted into eating only two meals a day, a sort of intermittent fasting schedule, which is effortless (one less meal to think about). 

I've lost 3kg too which is great.

Results could be due to eliminating all grains, and not a ketogenic diet in itself. Also could be due to eliminating sugar and most packaged foods, and eating more veggies and whole foods. Hard to say, but being able to relax about fat (as per kept protocol) certainly makes it really easy to eat this way. I've also eaten a little red meat (3-4 times in last month), which I haven't for years. 

I'll keep posting in the interests of science!

This is great news! I only just saw your post. How are you going? 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been re reading the book "Gut and Psychology Syndrome" and I really feel this diet is so important in healing. It talks about the gut brain connection. Check out their website and consider reading  the book.  Also, please reduce your homes radiation, particularly at bed time. Microwaves are particularly harmful so hard wire everything and get rid of the wifi. Wishing all of you suffering so much love! I hope you are all well soon! XX My mum is still doing fantastic. Its been 4 years now. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed website addy - incorrect

• 5 months later...

anybody on Wahl´s protocol? I started it, level 1-2 (in the middle), been eating this way for a couple of weeks. 

• 6 months later...

ooh just found this thread. I'll go back and read. 

I just wanted to share this series I've been watching on Alzheimers Prevention while its still free.  It recommends keto as well. 

I think this below episode is about to expire unfortunately!  But there should be some more good stuff coming up I hope.

https://scienceofprevention.com/alz/gut-brain-connection/?inf_contact_key=a008c7f716cc3a44dca0c40dfe4a792ef651f238aa2edbb9c8b7cff03e0b16a0

Lexapro:  2013 -  20 mg, then 30 mg then 40 mg 2016. Cold turkey 4 June 2018. Reinstated August 24 2018 at 5mg (not tapering while I'm tapering the Effexor XR)

Effexor XR -  75mg  7 June 2018, increased to 150mg August 2018. Tapering September 2018 10% first drop, 5% second drops every 4 weeks 07 March 2019 112.5mg, 02 June 2019 112.5mg minus 30 beads

Seroquel 12.5mg - May 2018 - September 2018 prescribed after work stress to augment Lexapro

Phenergen - 10mg as needed from June 2018 - August 2018 for disequilibrium

Rizatriptan - 10mg as needed from June 2018 to December 2018 for "vestibular migraine" onset

Propranalol - June 2018 prescribed for vestibular migraine prevention 80mg;  30mg Oct 2018, 10mg May 2019

Valium -  2.5mg  - intermittent use for withdrawal symptoms

Stemitil - 2003 for cervicogenic dizziness and June 2018 for dizziness/nausea (not effective)

Supplements:  1000mg fish oil x 2 capsules (EPA 180mg + 120mg) 09/09/19 2 x 2000mg (360mg EPA + 240mg DHA each), vitamin C, magnesium diglycinate 3g,. Taurine 3g , vitamin D3, vitex, bone broth, 

• 10 months later...
On 7/19/2011 at 11:59 PM, Rhiannon said:

Gianna, who has that Beyond Meds website, has had (well, last time I talked to her about it, which has been a while) some good success with the GAPS diet.

And I was reading about the enteric nervous system and how many signals it is sending constantly to the brain, so I decided to try GAPS, because if my gut is going to be sending lots of signals to my poor brain these days, I want them to be happy ones. Plus, those drugs affect the neurotransmitters in the gut, if anything even more profoundly than elsewhere because they're absorbed directly without going through the liver first. (Blood from the gut goes to the liver first to be filtered, so most drugs have already undergone what's called "first pass metabolism" before they reach the brain.) And I'll still be taking neurotransmitter-affecting drugs for a while yet, because this is a long slow taper.

So anyway long story shorter, I've been trying the GAPS diet--the full diet, not the introductory diet--for about a month or six weeks now.

I'm keeping carbs low (the GAPS diet allows fruit but I'm keeping it small) because Celexa caused me so many problems with weight gain and somebody (on this board I think) said a low carb diet had helped him with that. Sure enough, I've lost five pounds without even trying, since I started the low carb and GAPS thing. That's pretty impressive, because I really struggled before and managed to lose four pounds with much suffering and effort on Weight Watchers, which came right back when I quit the Weight Watchers. This time I was totally surprised when I stepped on the scale. I hadn't even been trying to lose weight, and I'm eating a TON of butter and other fats, and I'm never hungry.

I think it's making a helpful difference for me. My mood swings are definitely gentler so the withdrawal feels more mellow. I have more energy. Reflux has disappeared. I wish I could say my withdrawal symptoms have disappeared, but no, they're still there, although not having the swings and extremes is nice, and I seem to be able to get away with cutting a little faster than before. (Well, I may or may not be getting away with it. We'll see. Time will tell. Those cuts can be fine at first and then come around and bite you in the butt after a couple of weeks.)

I'm having less physical pain, the inflammatory type symptoms are reduced dramatically.

I'd say the most noticeable differences are: less fatigue, less pain, less mood instability, no reflux. Plus it feels good to be losing weight. Plus I love raw goat milk kefir, yum!

Stress still kicks my butt though.

Very interesting what you said.

Can problems in the gut cause day to day changes in the ability to absorb the active ingredients of the drugs which affected by what I eat?

I am asking because I have digestive difficulty because of the drug that became worse during the years, and when I eat foods that are harder to digest that stuck in my stomach for longer time, my mood swings and anxiety get much worse.

2010-2015 Cipramil 20-40mg. half-year break in the middle which was tough.

2015-2020 Venlafaxine 150-225 mg. Venlafaxine duloxetine cross taper details 

150 for half-year then 225 for a period than stabilized in ~187.5 (1.25 pills) for 2 years than reduced to ~168.5 (1.125 pills).

3.2020 - Duloxetine 60mg.

19.05.2020 - started to taper - 59! 20.5 - 58.5. June 2020: 57. end of June - 55.5

Summer 2020: 5.7 - 54, 9.7 - 52, 12.7 - updose to 53+, 19.7 - 52.3, 26.7 - 51.8, 4.8 51.3, 11.8 - 50.8, 15.8 - updose to 51.0, 17.8 - 50.5, 19.8 - 50.3, 19.9 - 49.3

Autumn-winter: 7.10 - 46.8, 1.12 - 45.8, 17.12 - 44.4, 30.12 - 42.4, 21.1 - 40.8. 17.2 - 40.1, end of feb - 38.6,

springmid march updose to 40.1, 28.3 - 38.6, 15.4 - 37.5, 14.5 - 36.8, end of may 37.5+ and after a week 39

Summer 2021:  mid of june again to 36.7, end of july 39.5.

11.10.2021 - 40.7 📌

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Nivsch said:

when I eat foods that are harder to digest that stuck in my stomach for longer time, my mood swings and anxiety get much worse.

eating-as-an-activating-factor-increasing-anxiety-or-symptoms

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

25 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Great thread thank you very much.

A good reason for me to stick even more with 801010 raw diet.

2010-2015 Cipramil 20-40mg. half-year break in the middle which was tough.

2015-2020 Venlafaxine 150-225 mg. Venlafaxine duloxetine cross taper details 

150 for half-year then 225 for a period than stabilized in ~187.5 (1.25 pills) for 2 years than reduced to ~168.5 (1.125 pills).

3.2020 - Duloxetine 60mg.

19.05.2020 - started to taper - 59! 20.5 - 58.5. June 2020: 57. end of June - 55.5

Summer 2020: 5.7 - 54, 9.7 - 52, 12.7 - updose to 53+, 19.7 - 52.3, 26.7 - 51.8, 4.8 51.3, 11.8 - 50.8, 15.8 - updose to 51.0, 17.8 - 50.5, 19.8 - 50.3, 19.9 - 49.3

Autumn-winter: 7.10 - 46.8, 1.12 - 45.8, 17.12 - 44.4, 30.12 - 42.4, 21.1 - 40.8. 17.2 - 40.1, end of feb - 38.6,

springmid march updose to 40.1, 28.3 - 38.6, 15.4 - 37.5, 14.5 - 36.8, end of may 37.5+ and after a week 39

Summer 2021:  mid of june again to 36.7, end of july 39.5.

11.10.2021 - 40.7 📌

• 1 year later...

FLUORIDE

Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, author and developer of GAPS diet, claims in her books that fluoride is hazardous to our health. The recommendation is to eliminate it entirely, e.g. in toothpaste. I haven't managed to find sufficient corroborating evidence as to fluoride's potential harmful effects at levels equivalent to toothpaste use, i.e. feasibly brushing up to twice a day with small amount. 

I've looked around on SA to see if there were any posts explaining why/how fluoride could be bad for you. Haven't found anything, though I've come across scattered posts in which members mention wanting to avoid fluoride as it could be damaging to brain and nervous system. 

I am still wondering why ... Anybody have any ideas or information? 

Posting this inquiry here due to the GAPS connection as well as fluoride-in-diet theme, though I realize this is not strictly food-diet related. 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

supplements: magnesium powder (dissolved in water) as needed throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil w/ morning meal; 2mg melatonin 

August 1, 2022 - 1 mg melatonin

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• 5 months later...

Hi!  I unofficially started the GAPS diet about five weeks ago, but officially started it on 10/16/2022.  I couldn't start it correctly until then due to a family trip.  I'm currently on Stage 3 of the Introduction Stage.  I was eating strict carnivore before coming to GAPS- just steak, salt, water, and electrolytes for three weeks, and just meat and a little fruit for a while before that.  The GAPS diet feels very nourishing by comparison and I'm enjoy all the new-to-me cooking techniques that are really quite traditional.

I bought these books to help me:

• Gut and Physiology Syndrome by Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride, MD
  • GAPS, Stage by Stage, with Recipes by Becky Plotner

I also watch YouTube videos by Bumblebee Apothecary.  Marisa is the creator and she provides how-to videos for things like meat broth and kefir.

The general idea is that you eat a lot of meaty bones in the form of broth from chicken, cows, fish and others to give your body what it needs to repair and rebuild.  Then later, you use plants to cleanse and detox the body.  You can start with the Full GAPS diet or you can start with the Introduction Diet.  I chose to start on the Introduction Diet.  The Introduction Diet is broken down into stages and you slowly reintroduce certain foods over weeks or months.  Here is how the first few stages seem to flow:

Stage 1

• Chicken/Meat/Fish stock made with meaty bones, joints, marrow and organs
  • Homemade soup made out of this stock
  • Fermented sauerkraut juice
  • Yogurt
  • Kefir
  • Warm ginger or mint tea with a little honey
  • Salt and peppercorns to season

Stage 2

• Add egg yolks, then soft-boiled eggs
  • Add stews/casseroles
  • Add fresh herbs
  • Add fermented fish
  • Add clarified butter or ghee
  • Increase fermented foods
  • Increase fats

Stage 3

• Add avocado
  • Add GAPS pancakes
  • Add scrambled/fried eggs
  • Add fermented vegetables

I had my withdrawal injury about 20 months ago, but am still trying to recover from a few remaining symptoms: buzzing in the body, tones in my brain, burning brain feeling, general discomfort in the body, low energy, sleep issues, rough menstrual cycles, hives.  I'm reaching for a fully recovery! 

When I came to the diet, I had been experiencing diarrhea for about 5 weeks and my digestion was calmed in just a few days.  It took a few weeks to even out. 

I still get small patches of hives every few days, but I am seeing improvement.  For example, I got poison ivy, which usually creates a fully body reaction, but that didn't happen.  It was just the localized area.  Dr. Natasha says not to worry too much about histamine issues unless they are severe, that as the gut heals, they will subside. 

I've had several days where I felt completely normal, with all the noise in my internal world completely quiet.  I couldn't believe it. 

I also have more energy and my sleep has changed.  I now sleep a solid 7 to 8 hours most nights and am ready to go in the morning.  I have more energy for physical activity, although I still have to pace myself.

I'll check in here periodically to post on my progress.

Take care all,

Crochet

2012-present - Escitalopram currently 2.55 mg

Supplements:  Daytime- Green Lipped Mussel 1200mg, Omega-3s 1710mg, Wheat Germ Oil 770mg, Sodium Butyrate 1.2g, Phosphatidylcholine 2600mg, Multi-Min 2 tablets, Liposomal Glutathione 4 pumps, Probiotic 1 capsule, Beyond Balance herbal tinctures for lyme and gut healing (including one only taken during menstruation); Nighttime - L-theanine 200mg, melatonin 1mg, magnesium glycinate 400mg.

History:

2012-2017- Escitalopram 10mg

2017-2020 - Escitalopram 5mg

07/2019-11/2019 - Valium 10mg, every 2-3 days, then stopped

11/2020 - Stopped Escitalopram 5mg abruptly (crashed January 2021)

1/2021-12/2021 - Escitalopram Reinstated 2.5mg to 5 to 10 to 7.5 and then started slow taper

1/2021-2/2021 - Ativan .5mg - Took 13.5 pills over the course of 22 days and stopped

2/2021-9/2021  Hydroxyzine - 50-100mg tapering down to .8mg, then cross-tapered to Claritin and stopped

9/2021-9/2022 - Claritin 5 mg (tapered off)

@Ariel Hi Ariel!  Part of the GAPS diet is to reduce your overall "toxic load."  We are exposed to various toxins in our lives and the idea is to try and lower the amount of toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis.  Using less toxic toiletries is one way.  Changing up dishwashing products and laundry detergents is another.  Fluoride is mentioned in Dr. Natasha's books and she says to "avoid it like the plague" but I don't know the science.  It sounds like fluorine, chlorine, and bromine are stronger than iodine and cause iodine deficiency in the body because they use the same receptors as iodine and push the iodine out of molecules.  Iodine deficiency then creates the health problems.  I wish I had more to contribute and hope you've found some more information!

Supplements:  Daytime- Green Lipped Mussel 1200mg, Omega-3s 1710mg, Wheat Germ Oil 770mg, Sodium Butyrate 1.2g, Phosphatidylcholine 2600mg, Multi-Min 2 tablets, Liposomal Glutathione 4 pumps, Probiotic 1 capsule, Beyond Balance herbal tinctures for lyme and gut healing (including one only taken during menstruation); Nighttime - L-theanine 200mg, melatonin 1mg, magnesium glycinate 400mg.

History:

1/2021-12/2021 - Escitalopram Reinstated 2.5mg to 5 to 10 to 7.5 and then started slow taper

1/2021-2/2021 - Ativan .5mg - Took 13.5 pills over the course of 22 days and stopped

2/2021-9/2021  Hydroxyzine - 50-100mg tapering down to .8mg, then cross-tapered to Claritin and stopped

• 1 month later...

It's been almost three months since I started the GAPS Intro Diet and I'm still enjoying it and it seems to be treating me well!  I'm now on Stage 5, so I'm enjoying fruit again and juicing daily.

My histamine issues (in the form of hives and burning brain sensation) haven't cleared yet, but I am hopeful.  I've noticed some changes recently, like for my last period and ovulation, no hives.  I usually get them.  I seem to get hives when I introduce a new food or if I increase fermented foods too fast.  Then things calm down.  I believe in this GAPS protocol, so I'm hopeful that things will calm down even more over the next few months.

My weight is lower than I'd like it to be even though I am eating a lot!  It sounds like this is because I'm not retaining water since it is a low carb diet, but I'd still like to put on a few more pounds.  I decided to eat until I'm over-full each meal and see if that helps.  I got some light weights to see if I can build muscle.

I'm also taking detox baths, oil pulling, and doing hot castor oil compresses on my belly before bed.  I try to get out in the sun daily.  I've been reading about enemas, but I'm just not quite there yet and may never be.

Take care everyone!

History:

• 2 months later...

I'm still doing the GAPS diet. 5 months now.

When I started juicing daily and adding fruit on Stage 4, I began to regress. I started having nightmares where I felt physical pain in the dream, which was new for me. So I stopped juicing and the fruit and worked myself back into ketosis (I measured using a breath device). I seem to do better in ketosis.

I am basically eating Full GAPS now, but with certain restrictions and heavy on foods from the Intro Diet.  Meat stock, meaty bones, homemade kefir and sour cream, sauerkraut or pickles, veggies and plenty of butter each day. Sometimes organ meat. Sometimes I'll have a bit of honey, fruit, or nuts. Cheese isn't really doing it for me.

Mushrooms are the only food that gave me an immediate digestive reaction, so I don't really eat these. There are many types of fruit I haven't introduced yet and I'm okay with that.

I have gained weight finally! I have been able to do a lot of snow shoveling (we received over 12 feet of snow this winter!), so more sustained energy levels. I still have issues at night and during my period/ovulation.

History:

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2012 at 8:28 AM, Nadia said:

Good idea. I try to eat the least processed foods possible. Sometimes it's really deceptive. I was looking at cereal packages in the supermarket the other day, wondering if maybe I could indulge in some granola, but the ingredients were worse than Fruit Loops and some other "junk food" cereals!

And MSG... I was doing pretty well a couple of weeks ago, and then after going to a Japanese restaurant that clearly used MSG (from the taste), I woke up with anxiety the next day and took a turn for the worst. There was no other thing that I think could have set it off...

@Nadia Have you ever gone into a wave from taking too much MSG in your food? If so, how long did your wave last? I had some rice crackers a few days ago and only realised afterwards that they contained MSG. Since then, I have been having a lot of difficulty with insomnia. Had zero hour sleep on the first night, some sleep on the second night, and still strugglig with falling asleep on the third night. Wondering when will this end. It feels like I've been thrown way back in my recovery and starting from ground zero again.

Jan 29, 2023 - Took my one and only dose of Mirtazapine (15 mg). Developed an immediate adverse reaction with list of withdrawal-like symptoms.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy