If you find useful information here, your gift would help keep this site going. Our staff is entirely volunteer.

Photo
- - - - -

Helping Family Understand

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bananas

bananas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 05 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

I just wanted to share what I did recently to help my family understand that what has happened to me over the past 14 years isn't because I have just been "slipping."  I have felt that they just haven't been able to understand exactly what this drug has done to me.  They hear me tell them, but they only had what I said to gauge it by.  So, I googled how Effexor (the drug I am on) affects people mentally.  I then googled a list of the side effects and highlighted all the ones I had.  After that I copied over 4 short postings from another site that showed other people were going through the inertia that comes with being on the drug.  I sent this in an email to them and they finally got that it isn't me and that I have been gone for 14 years because of the medication.  They are now more dedicated to helping me and are better in understanding what I am going through.  After all of these years, I finally feel like they are hearing me.

12-2001 -- Started Effexor XR - 150 mg dose  2005 -- Tried to cold turkey off it.  Lasted 3 days and then went back on 150 mg.  2009 -- Went on generic Effexor due to cost.  Have had a lot more side effects on it.  09-24-13 -- Started tapering by taking 2 beads out of 150 mg capsule.  10-17-13 thru 07-17-14 -- Took 2 more beads out of capsule each month.  08-2014 -- Dropped by 8 beads.  Went into a HUGE depression.  05-03-15 -- Now taking 22 beads out of capsule.  Went to micro-taper of 2 beads every other week.  11-10-15 -- Taking 96 beads (About 54 out of capsule.  Reversed the way I was taking them since the amount in the capsule varies).  Can now drop 8 beads a month, 4 every other week, with no problem.  After a while switched to dropping 2 beads every Monday as 4 at a time was starting to affect me.  Have no problem with dropping 2 beads every Monday.  07-07-16 -- Now taking 43 beads with no problems. 09-27-16 -- Now taking 2 beads out every other Monday.  Am at 33 beads now. 

#2 dalsaan

dalsaan

• Moderators
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 08:02 PM

Hi bananas,

I glad you found a way to help your family hear you and that they are now better positioned to give you the kind of backing you need to come off.

D

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.
Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.
Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.
Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.
Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).
Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

>My intro post is here - http://survivinganti...ic/2250-dalsaan

#3 LoveandLight

LoveandLight

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:57 PM

I'm pleased for you, Bananas.

My family don't believe me but they pretty much don't hassle me now either, they can see it just doesn't work.

I tried to tell them but they said, "you are reading this from the internet, don't believe everything on the internet". The more I try and convince them the more upset I get and I just look unhinged which doesn't do much for my cause!
2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

#4 bananas

bananas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:23 PM

Platinum, I so relate to what you are saying.  My family didn't really get it either at one point.  They don't have anything to reference it to in their experience.  It is like someone who hasn't smoked trying to understand what a smoker goes through to quit or someone who has never been depressed trying to understand what it is like to be severely depressed.  Eventually, they will get it when we emerge from this nightmare and are back to ourselves.  You are so close to being off.  I am so happy for you!  I know you are in that hard stage at the end, but you will be free of it sooner than you think.  

12-2001 -- Started Effexor XR - 150 mg dose  2005 -- Tried to cold turkey off it.  Lasted 3 days and then went back on 150 mg.  2009 -- Went on generic Effexor due to cost.  Have had a lot more side effects on it.  09-24-13 -- Started tapering by taking 2 beads out of 150 mg capsule.  10-17-13 thru 07-17-14 -- Took 2 more beads out of capsule each month.  08-2014 -- Dropped by 8 beads.  Went into a HUGE depression.  05-03-15 -- Now taking 22 beads out of capsule.  Went to micro-taper of 2 beads every other week.  11-10-15 -- Taking 96 beads (About 54 out of capsule.  Reversed the way I was taking them since the amount in the capsule varies).  Can now drop 8 beads a month, 4 every other week, with no problem.  After a while switched to dropping 2 beads every Monday as 4 at a time was starting to affect me.  Have no problem with dropping 2 beads every Monday.  07-07-16 -- Now taking 43 beads with no problems. 09-27-16 -- Now taking 2 beads out every other Monday.  Am at 33 beads now. 

#5 bananas

bananas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationTwilight Zone

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

Oops, sorry.  I just realized I called you Platinum instead of LoveandLight.  Picked it up from under your name.   :blush:

#6 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,078 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:45 PM

That's very creative, bananas. Good for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#7 Skylarblue75

Skylarblue75

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania-USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:27 AM

I sent copies of articles from this web site to my mother a few days ago. She said from what she read that I might be suffering from this protracted SSRI w/d. So I don't know it she's totally convinced. I guess given the fact that I was functioning on the meds and I did have PPD after the birth of my first child even though I was on meds during my pregnancy and took 10 weeks to respond to changing from celexa to lexapro. This fact makes her convinced that I do have mental health problems because of past response to meds. my family doesn't want to hear about it anymore, their thought is your mentally ill, you need meds and your just medication phobic and a if the meds don't work you need ECT. It's all in my head. That's my situation and it doesn't help.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

#8 LoveandLight

LoveandLight

Platinum star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts
  • LocationUk

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:54 AM

The fact that I went on them so young (17) and I already had anxiety due to, well I'm not sure what started the childhood anxiety, but then trauma and then last 8 years of nightmare on/off the drugs no-one believes me..I feel like I'm looked upon as mentally unhinged, unwell and always will be. It really angers me when family members say you need to be on them the rest of your life when they've never taken anything like this and haven't experienced that the side effects are just crap and keep you from functioning as well. It also annoys me when my mum says "but when you went on them you needed so something because you were suicidal". I keep telling her it was because of the withdrawal that I was like this. I don't know how many times she keeps saying this. But also it doesn't help that I expressed a suicidal thought when I was v young..about 12 but it probably as a result of puberty. I wasn't suicidal or even thought about it for many years after until I went on them at 17.

Honestly if I family member could experience what we experience for one day they would never 'nag' us again.
2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

#9 Goodname

Goodname

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 25 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

I wrote a letter yesterday.  I posted it here:  how to talk to loved ones.  I gave it to my fiance yesterday and it was the best thing that I could have done. A load has been lifted off both of us now that he knows it's not him that's caused the change in me.   I'm not sure if I will give it to my mom and my siblings....not yet.  I'm not sure they will try to understand.  They will likely just say that I should stay on Zoloft....they won't understand that it actually wasn't working well any more (change to generic did that?) and it wont' work well again.  I have to get off it.  

Edited by Petunia, 15 December 2015 - 06:24 PM.
added url

Zoloft for nearly 20 years for panic attacks

tapering for approx. last 6 months.  3rd time attempting

withdrawl symptoms feel like a nervous breakdown

depression now - not prior to Zoloft

#10 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,681 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:33 PM

Advice for Family and Friends

I'm writing this post to try and help partners, family or friends understand more of what the person they love is going through and how much their help and support is needed at this time.

Let me start by saying I was one of those people who didn't know anything about withdrawing from psychiatric medications, or that they needed to be tapered. Antidepressant withdrawal syndrome was something I had never heard of.  I was as ignorant as they come about anything outside of what I understood. But my attitude changed quickly once I started experiencing it myself.

What we don't understand does not exist.

That really is the problem, if we see someone with a cold or a broken leg then they will get our sympathy as we have been through it ourselves and understand it's not pleasant. But on the other hand if it is something we have not gone through then we can't relate to it, so we may ridicule or not believe it possible.

This is the very reason so many people experiencing difficulties coming off their medication, or having stopped too quickly, suffer in silence. They feel the need to keep it a secret, fearing that people won't understand, that they may be ridiculed or labelled. This really is something that needs to change, the person wants nothing more than to be able to chat freely about how they are feeling, to gain help and support from those closest to them.

I was very lucky in that my family have been supportive. They don't understand what I'm going through, but they believe me. They never put pressure on me to be better or tell me to pull myself together, they are just there when I need to talk and listen without judgement.

Unfortunately, some people have family and partners who are less understanding. Who will say things like "Pull yourself together and stop all this nonsense"

But we don't want to be feeling this way, if there was a way to make ourselves feel better faster, we would jump at it. Many of us have spent a lot of time looking for alternative treatments and supplements, trying to speed up recovery from antidepressant use, but so far, nothing has proved particularly helpful.

A partner's lack of understanding can create more pressure and can hinder progress. Our body and mind need space to recover and this starts with an understanding partner and family, people who won't judge or create added stress.

I know how confusing and frustrating it might be to see that the person you love has changed and is not the one you knew or fell in love with. Trust me that person is still there, but at the moment they are just buried under symptoms.

When we are suffering so much, its very easy to take it out on those closest to us, sometimes in the form of outbursts or other uncharacteristic behavior. Its very frustrating for us to not be able to be the person we were before, we so much want to be who we used to be, for you and for ourselves.

So my advice to any partner or family member would be to not judge even though you may not understand, just believe what your loved one says. Trust me, no one wants to get better more than the person who is experiencing antidepressant withdrawal symptoms.

Your help and support is needed now more than ever. Put no pressure on your loved one, be there when they need an ear and try and be more patient and understanding, maybe even try and learn about the subject more. This kind of support can be a big factor in helping us recover.

To learn more start here:  What is withdrawal syndrome?

This post adapted from the Anxiety No More web site article of the same name - http://anxietynomore...o_partners.html

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#11 Help777

Help777

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:09 AM

Can anyone identify a post or good video on effexor withdrawal symptoms that i can send to my family to help them understand?
Thank you.
<p>2000 effexor xr 112.5mgTried weaning twice over last few years, gave up after emotional turmoilNoticed mood instability over last few years and went to see pdoc.Pdoc diagnosed bpII and suggested I start lithium and 'wean effexor.Sept 2015 added lithium 300mg.Sept 2015 started to wean effexor.Oct 2015 weaned effexor xr to 75 mg. experienced crying bouts and pdoc suggested prozac bridge to assist taper.Oct 2015 added prozac 20 mg to help bridge; continuing with 75mg effexor, 300 lithiumNov 2015 effexor xr down to 37.5mg, continuing prozac 20 mg and lithium 300 mg.Dec 2015 Started counting effexor beads as dose is now smaller than the 37.5mg capsule - at 86 beads, cont prozac 20 mg, lithium 300 mgJan 2016 effexor 66 beads, which is about 20mg. Continuing with prozac 20mg and lithium 300mg. Also, Omega 3Feb 2016 56 beads of effexor xr. Prozac 20 mg. lithium 300mg, also Omega
3March 2016 Effexor-36 beads. Prozac-10 mg. Lithium 300 mg, also Omega 3 and probiotics, gf, no sugar, high fat, protein diet.
April 2016 Effexor 26 beads, Prozac 10 mg, Lithium 300 mg. also, Omega 3 and probiotics. gf, no sugar, high fat, protein diet.<p>
May 12th took last bead of effexor. Will begin to taper prozac 5mg at a very slow rate. Continuing with 300mg Lithium for now.
May 31st took last of prozac. Continuing Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.
June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. Wave came crashing in around July 5th and intense emotional symptoms returned.
July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.
July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.
July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.
Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.
Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch. Thinking about retrying omega 3 and magnesium but they made symptoms worse when i tried a few months ago.

#12 maria323

maria323

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

I gave my family the recovery-road.org website. There's some good videos and Do's and Don'ts for caregivers of people going through withdrawal.

On antidepressants for almost 20 years due to situational anxiety. I was in a bad marriage, bad divorce, raising 3 boys by myself, stressful job etc. The drugs were Paxil, Effexor and most recently Cymbalta for 10 years. Each time I tried to get off the drugs I would get panic and anxiety attacks. My Dr. would tell me it was my anxiety coming back so I would get back on the Antidepressant rollercoaster. I had a therapist who told me I should get off the toxic poison. He didn't think I needed it. I tapered off 60 mg over 9 months. I completely stopped the poison on 04/20/2015. I have been in withdrawal for 8 months. I currently suffer from bouts of anxiety, uncontrollable crying, insomnia and fatigue. I was also taking .5 Lorazepam as needed for anxiety and 25 mg of seroquel for sleep. I currently take Snooze-in from Vitamin Shoppe to help with sleep, Spray on Magnesium, Krill oil, Lavender and Frankincense essential oils for relaxation and inositol when I remember to take it:)

#13 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts
  • LocationReading, UK and also Southwest, UK

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:35 AM

My mother said the worst thing possible recently "everyone gets depressed now and again, you'll get over it" and then another corker "you always blame everyone else for your problems".

I told her where to go both times - wasn't pretty.

She has me pegged as one of those "depressed people".

My father is in la la land so I have low expectations of them. My brother is self-contained and under the thumb of his wife so has no involvement in anything.

19 Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts. 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). 24 March 2017 DETOX (7 weeks) started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut. April 2017 "Genova Testing 3 day stool sampling" Comprehensive Analysis. 11 May 2017 Stool sample analysis results - NEGATIVE :)  Plan to get tested for SIBO July 2017 Plan to get further health screening (mammogram, liver panel, food allergies etc.,).

Plan to re-start taper (Cipralex/Escitalopram) when feel ready.

#14 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:43 PM

Great post Petu thank you 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivinganti...ng-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

#15 Cayperz

Cayperz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:55 PM

My mother said the worst thing possible recently "everyone gets depressed now and again, you'll get over it" and then another corker "you always blame everyone else for your problems".

I told her where to go both times - wasn't pretty.

She has me pegged as one of those "depressed people".

My father is in la la land so I have low expectations of them. My brother is self-contained and under the thumb of his wife so has no involvement in anything.

Hey JC - do you still live at home with your folks? If so, that would be REALLY hard...

If not? Limit your contact with them if they can't be supportive.

Hugs!

Cayperz

Feels: Sleeping well!  

Currently coming off 1000mg Lithium (Duration: 3 years) - 12.5% taper

6 June 2016 - Current: 625mg 

7 May 2016 - 5 June: 750mg

18 April 2016 - 6 May 2016: 875mg

Lamictal 50mg (coming off when done with Lithium) - it's been about 2 years

Abilify - can't recall dosage - was taken off due to akesthesia - no withdrawal symptoms that I can recall - 1 year

No weed since 23 January 2016

No cigarettes since 31 March 2016

As much as I might sound like I know what I'm doing, I am most definitely NOT a doctor.             :wub:

#16 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:21 PM

Hi Cayperz,

No we don't live with my parents.

It's a generational thing, my mother was taught to "shut up and buck up", and that depression was just a transient thing. I also don't think she knows how to deal with me and doesn't want to accept that they are the cause of my illness.

I do keep my distance (sadly), and my father who suffers from Parkinsonism isn't really with it anyway.

JC

19 Feb 2014 -Cipralex/Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms disappeared over a few days. Have been on this dose ever since and am experiencing "windows" and "waves". Nov 15th 2016 Re-started Therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT. 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts. 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment starts - anti-Candida diet starts as suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). 24 March 2017 DETOX (7 weeks) started for anti-Candida to help "re-set" my gut. April 2017 "Genova Testing 3 day stool sampling" Comprehensive Analysis. 11 May 2017 Stool sample analysis results - NEGATIVE :)  Plan to get tested for SIBO July 2017 Plan to get further health screening (mammogram, liver panel, food allergies etc.,).

#17 Mort81

Mort81

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:48 AM

I am lucky to have a supporting partner in this. She didn't fully understand until maybe 9 or 10months into it though and same with my mom. So the first year was extra difficult in that sense because of this.  Other than those two people in my life no one else comes close to grasping it.  Doesnt matter how much I try to explain it. I still have friends and family texting me to come play hockey when I can barely walk around the block or make myself a meal. But I realize how lucky I am to actually have two people who understands. 

Was on 30mg (Lexapro) for 7-8yrs20mg for 3 months (This was my choice my Doc wanted me to drop much faster)15 mg 2week10mg 2 weeks 5 mg 1 week0 since August 24th Clonazapam. Currently 0.10mg daily. PPI Dexlant 20-30mg for last 29 months currently at 30mg

#18 Junglechicken

Junglechicken

Gold star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hey Mort,

If we are lucky enough to have 2 people who we can talk to about WD then that's better than none.

Also, if we as an SA community can start our own support groups in our own countries, then we are most definitely able to help each other without the need to have relatives understanding our condition.

JC

#19 Cayperz

Cayperz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

Hi Cayperz,

It's a generational thing, my mother was taught to "shut up and buck up", and that depression was just a transient thing. I also don't think she knows how to deal with me and doesn't want to accept that they are the cause of my illness.

I do keep my distance (sadly), and my father who suffers from Parkinsonism isn't really with it anyway.

JC

Yeah - it's a tough situation, isn't it? Wanting to be close and share your experiences with the parentals to find that they don't want to (or can't) understand. These type of psych drugs weren't as varied or readily available when they were young and they certainly didn't know many in their peer group who would openly admit to having "problems". It's sad...

But the cool thing will be when you come out on the other side and you'll be able to confidently announce that you walked through hell every day because of these drugs and withdrawal and will be a shining advocate for others and educate those that don't have awareness. Your Mum will be the first one to realise, hopefully! Some people just need to see "proof" or they're just not that interested in variables in life.

Feels: Sleeping well!  

Currently coming off 1000mg Lithium (Duration: 3 years) - 12.5% taper

6 June 2016 - Current: 625mg 

7 May 2016 - 5 June: 750mg

18 April 2016 - 6 May 2016: 875mg

Lamictal 50mg (coming off when done with Lithium) - it's been about 2 years

Abilify - can't recall dosage - was taken off due to akesthesia - no withdrawal symptoms that I can recall - 1 year

No weed since 23 January 2016

No cigarettes since 31 March 2016

As much as I might sound like I know what I'm doing, I am most definitely NOT a doctor.             :wub:

#20 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

Hi Cayperz,

JC

"depression was just a transient thing."

According to the history on depression it use to be a transient thing a couple of years of rest at a sanatorium with peace and quiet decent food and flowers around and people went back to their lives it is only with the introduction of these drugs it has become a life sentence or at least a long term disability issue.  They are doing some work on this in the UK somebody posted a link to it the other day. 

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

#21 Buffy

Buffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hi Cayperz,

JC

"depression was just a transient thing."

According to the history on depression it use to be a transient thing a couple of years of rest at a sanatorium with peace and quiet decent food and flowers around and people went back to their lives it is only with the introduction of these drugs it has become a life sentence or at least a long term disability issue. They are doing some work on this in the UK somebody posted a link to it the other day.

Agreed.

The doctors telling me that I had a chemical imbalance and my brain was broken was a really bad idea for me to hold. The medication reminded me I was "sick" everyday. I was never sick! I was going through life, anxiety happens in life!

NOTHING in life is permanant.

I had real trouble seeing that whilst in the grips of the doctors and polypharmacy. It felt like I would never escape.

Changing my beliefs about depression and "bipolar", GAD and OCD was actually quite easy when I found the right information (not what I was spoon fed from doctors and social media). It did help.

My most useful thought through this has been "it will pass"
Currently on 50mg Fluvoxamine. Reading more before the next attempt at tapering.

Started Lexapro 04, have been mostly on med combinations since for 12 years.
May 2015 - zeldox 80 - 100mg, fluvoxamine 200mg, dexamphetamine 10mg
Lorazepam and clonazepam on and off for over a decade. Heavily sedated with antipsychotics - mostly Zyprexa and seroquel. Many hospitalisations. Many types of therapy, last being 7 years of psychodynamic that only figured out my pain was real.
Pain meds - Lyrica 150mg palexia 100mg - discontinued eary 2016
Done ok so far but cant drop the last antidepressant without physical illness.

#22 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 25 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

It boils down to informed consent without the right information we were not correctly informed. 

peace 

Had a car accident in 85

#23 NearlyMedlessKate

NearlyMedlessKate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:02 AM

Going to jump on the "chemical imbalance" bandwagon and say that I carried that flag for years before I learned it's complete bullsh*t. I became the way I was due to trauma. Not my fault. Not my brain. Not genetics. TRAUMA ... And I am so so sick of hearing about how I will need to be medicated for life for my own safety. What is the purpose of life if you are a raging vegetable suffering severe medical complications due to side effects. Medications have certainly not made my life better.

I probably came off all of these too rapidly. 

Lexapro -  08/15, Started at 10mg, tapered daily over three weeks

Gabapentin - 7/13 800 mg Quit cold turkey the first time and ended up at ER with low pulse, BP, weakness, and confusion. 8/14 Reduced by half the second time I tried to quit and went to urgent care with same symptoms. 10/15 Third quit I reduced by around 10% a week for close to 3 months. Success!

Latuda with Zofran - 04/16, 60 mg reduced by half for a week, then 20 mg for four days, 10 mg for four days, then 5 mg for four days

Currently still on:

Lamictal - started at 200mg (100 x2 daily); tapered 1mg per day (bad move) from April 28th, 2016 to late May 2016. Held at 175 mg from May 28th 2016. Tapered 10% to 157mg on June 21 2016. Currently on hold.

Supplements include: EPA/DHA, B-Complex, and Zinc

#24 mammaP

mammaP

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,173 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:56 AM

Going to jump on the "chemical imbalance" bandwagon and say that I carried that flag for years before I learned it's complete bullsh*t. I became the way I was due to trauma. Not my fault. Not my brain. Not genetics. TRAUMA ... And I am so so sick of hearing about how I will need to be medicated for life for my own safety. What is the purpose of life if you are a raging vegetable suffering severe medical complications due to side effects. Medications have certainly not made my life better.

I bought into the chemical imbalance lies too, and my problems were from trauma as a child but not as young as you Kate. We are taking control now and getting our lives back. :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

See how to create a signature here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Many drugs for many years, prescribed diazepam first 1973, took occasionally. 3 or 4 tricyclics  for short periods.

1993 had a breakdown leading to 10 years of drug experiments with all classes of psych drugs.

2002  effexor. 

Tapered by counting beads from March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Also tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg -hold- Feb2016 46mg  March 8 2016 45 April 44mg  May 11  43mg June 14 42mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, pro biotic.

My story http://survivinganti...king-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Following every sunset is a brand new day

#25 Petunia

Petunia

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,681 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

Helpful tips for families, friends and caregivers from Bloom in Wellness.

https://baylissa.com/helpful-tips/

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety)

Xanax PRN

Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes animal25.gif

Supplements which seem to help:  High doses of Vitamin C, Magnesium, Garlic and Ginger.  Taurine, Vit D3, L-Theanine and Inositol. I'm one of the rare people who react badly to fish oil.

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

#26 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:12 PM

That was a wonderful site and video Petu I had not seen it before thank you. 

ps have you read recovery and renewal?

Had a car accident in 85

#27 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:36 AM

Not about family and withdrawal, but about family/friends and tapering:

I just recently started saying something different to friends and family about my plan to taper off Cymbalta, because I've had some strong negative reactions when I use the words "going off" the drug.  I now say that I'm working to find the minimum effective dose, or the minimum tolerable and effective dose.  A U-turn conversion in responses: nothing negative -- people have offered understanding and support.  Of course, I don't  say that my minimum tolerable and effective dose might be zero. Heh! :P :D

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14; 3.5 mg (32) Apr. 26;
Current dose: 2.6 mg (24) 2017-May-17
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#28 Altostrata

Altostrata

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,078 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA

Posted 21 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

;)

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

#29 btdt

btdt

Fingers of titanium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:03 PM

Whatever works that is how we survive this 

peace

Had a car accident in 85

#30 Help777

Help777

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

A friend of mine in response to me telling her about what I've been going through told me that most husbands would have left me by now. It hurt so much. I am feeling really awful hearing this.

I wouldn't have gotten that from someone if I had cancer. I guess they're blaming me, blaming my ability to cope with this, thinking little of my ability to have anything to offer my family during this time. That really hurts. My husband is getting out on a pedestal while the dig me a hole. That's what it feels like.

<p>2000 effexor xr 112.5mgTried weaning twice over last few years, gave up after emotional turmoilNoticed mood instability over last few years and went to see pdoc.Pdoc diagnosed bpII and suggested I start lithium and 'wean effexor.Sept 2015 added lithium 300mg.Sept 2015 started to wean effexor.Oct 2015 weaned effexor xr to 75 mg. experienced crying bouts and pdoc suggested prozac bridge to assist taper.Oct 2015 added prozac 20 mg to help bridge; continuing with 75mg effexor, 300 lithiumNov 2015 effexor xr down to 37.5mg, continuing prozac 20 mg and lithium 300 mg.Dec 2015 Started counting effexor beads as dose is now smaller than the 37.5mg capsule - at 86 beads, cont prozac 20 mg, lithium 300 mgJan 2016 effexor 66 beads, which is about 20mg. Continuing with prozac 20mg and lithium 300mg. Also, Omega 3Feb 2016 56 beads of effexor xr. Prozac 20 mg. lithium 300mg, also Omega
3March 2016 Effexor-36 beads. Prozac-10 mg. Lithium 300 mg, also Omega 3 and probiotics, gf, no sugar, high fat, protein diet.
April 2016 Effexor 26 beads, Prozac 10 mg, Lithium 300 mg. also, Omega 3 and probiotics. gf, no sugar, high fat, protein diet.<p>
May 12th took last bead of effexor. Will begin to taper prozac 5mg at a very slow rate. Continuing with 300mg Lithium for now.
May 31st took last of prozac. Continuing Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.
June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. Wave came crashing in around July 5th and intense emotional symptoms returned.
July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.
Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch. Thinking about retrying omega 3 and magnesium but they made symptoms worse when i tried a few months ago.

#31 scallywag

scallywag

Platinum star

• Moderators
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:21 PM

Help777 - you could take interpret that comment as putting you down. That's only one interpretation though, regardless of the intention of the person who said it.

You could also interpret your friend's remark as saying "You are an extraordinary person married to a good guy. I can tell from the way he's been with you through all this that he loves you very, very much. You deserve it."

And, she's probably wrong about "most husbands" would do.  It's only an opinion. IT IS NOT. THE. TRUTH.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results
Cymbalta (brand name), 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 20 mg to 7 mg in 2016, exact doses and dates in this post;
2017: 6.3 (58 beads) Feb. 1; 5.6 mg (52) Feb. 22; 5.4 mg (50) Mar. 15; 5.1 mg (47) Mar. 25; 4.9 mg (45) Apr. 5; 4.5 mg (42) Apr. 14; 3.5 mg (32) Apr. 26;
Current dose: 2.6 mg (24) 2017-May-17
+ Supplements: fish oil (1500 mg EPA/500 mg DHA), Vitamins: D3, K2, C; Minerals: Mg, Se, Cr, I, V
scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

#32 Help777

Help777

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

Thank you, Scallywag for reframing this for me. You are right. I've always been someone to take personally what someone is saying, care too much about what others think, and get hurt easily. However since wd that has been magnified x100. I will read into someone's comments and stew about it, causing myself pain and suffering from this tunnel vision. I guess it's a form of a neuro emotion. I don't want to be so negative and be thrown into the depths of despair because of what a friend or famiky member thinks thinks, or torture myself by reading into what someone says. I have to stop expecting people to understand what I am going through. My life work I think. But like I said this has been incredibly that much more difficult since wd. Thanks for being there.

#33 Help777

Help777

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:40 AM

Perhaps you can help me reframe this because I am so upset.. I just found out my husband told his parents that I have wanted to die and go down to the basement to hit myself. I thought they were treating me awkwardly when I saw them yesterday and now I know why. I know my husband needs outlets and we have agreed on a few close friends of his that would be safe people for him to talk to. I supported him talking to hus parents and brother, but I feel so humiliated that he has shared this part with them. They dont understand and are worried about the children. They look at me differently and I dont see love in their eyes. Naturally they are worried about my husband and kids. I dont know how to stay in his family and see them again. I am ashamed and humiliated. It was one thing
I didnt want my husband sharing with his family. Does anyone else face this experience?

#34 DrugfreeProf

DrugfreeProf

Silver star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:57 PM

I am someone who is in the same position as your husband, as I am in the role of a carer of a young adult child now going through severe AD withdrawal.

I can completely understand how upsetting it must have been to have your husband tell your parents about your condition, and to then have his parents look at your strangely.  (Is it at all possible that you are highly sensitized right now to negative emotion and that you might have overblown a bit how his parents really feel/think about you?  Don't mean to invalidate your experience at all, just wondering.)

Of course you would want and ought to receive all of the love, support, and trust of your husband's family; it is awful that on top of everything else you had to feel that your privacy and respect were breached. At the same time, it must be incredibly stressful to be in the position of your husband, whom I would guess loves you very  much and is very nervous about the unpredictable nature of this syndrome. Given this, it might have felt almost impossible for him to refrain from telling his parents about what you are going through. I am sorry to hear that this brought you more pain.

As a carer I cannot see inside my daughter to really get how much she is suffering and how hard it is for her to act normal.  But I am witnessing it from the outside in, and the pain of being ignored and rejected by the person most precious to me, and the constant worry and fear of her getting suicidal, has put me at my breaking point.  We all need to publicize what is being inflicted upon people by the psychopathic drug industry and their drug-rep and doctor enablers, and we give each other--sufferers and carers--tons of understanding, compassion, and support.

Drugfree Prof

Psychologist and Psychotherapist

Prozac 20 mg for approx 3 months during 2000, withdrew, no w/d sx

Prozac 10 - 30 mg Jan. 2008 - Dec. 2014

Ritalin 30-40 mg Jan. 2008 - Mar. 2015

W/d sx from Prozac started around 3 months after cessation--crying spells, depressed mood, lethargy; resolved in 8 - 12 mos. post cessation

Used and continue to use a TON of alternative methods--meditation, mindfulness, nutrition. supplements, exercise, etc.