SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Marsha: can I taper off geodon before gabapentin?

Marsha

Hey Marsha - you have been through so much since I last visited!

It sounds like you are getting through it - I know it's hard, but you ****are**** getting through it.

I believe that the Prevacid taper is wise.  My stomach acid drug was the first one to go (a consulting pharmacist took me off it.)  I didn't even taper it (I didn't know any better)

I use baking soda, TUMS, and DGL (Deglycinated Licorice) to help with tummy upsets.  

One of the most healing things for your gut is bone broth.  It's not expensive, and seems (to me) to be so soothing.  It's part of the GAPS protocol diet:  SCD/GAPS/Paleo Diets  but I find the whole GAPS diet to be too restrictive.  When I'm having nausea, diarrhea, tummy trouble, I just do a few days on bone broth (ham was my favorite for taste, I will do lamb next) and took yogurt starter (probiotic), and things settle pretty well.

I think you will feel so much better after you get off the prevacid.  These drugs are never checked for long term effects!  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2533-that-acid-reflux-pill-may-be-causing-your-health-problems/

Also I believe that our tapering protocols for stomach acid drugs are faster:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4361-tips-for-tapering-off-stomach-acid-blockers-or-ppis-esomeprazole-lansoprazole-omeprazole

How has your hubby's taper been going?  I haven't heard a peep about him since I last visited.

I hope you are seeing the light, the improvement, the lifting of load soon.

Thank you JanCarol for the valuable information. I have read the links you so graciously provided many times previously to prepare for the prevacid taper. The past three months have been an adventure and I am improving day by day. My thyroid went haywire, so I am getting it scanned but I expected it so no suprisesthere. Also having my screening colonoscopy. Not going to put it off any longer. I will be discussing my situation with the surgeon to decide the best way to go about it. Im not sure which drugs to avoid but I have read that propofol has been tolerated by many here. My husband is withdrawing from the citalopram at 5% per month and it staying very stable. I just started the transition from pill form to liquid for him. I think I will post in his thread to make sure I am accurate. Thank you so much for looking after me.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Marsha. Thanks for your post on my Intro thread.  You really are doing well considering how much you're dealing with. Sending healing vibes your way. I hope all goes well with your tests. 

After 20 years of drugging and the last twelve pollydrugged and basically being in a vegetative state and after stopping geodon an antipsychotic my body is basically shutting down. I don't believe I will survive the trauma to my body. The doctors have taken my life in every literal way.

I am not a medical professional. My comments and posts are based on personal experiences. Please consult appropriate medical professionals for advice. 

I was started on psych drugs back in the late 80's. You name it. I probably was on it. Tapered off final cocktail 2013-2019. For Hashimotos and high blood pressure I take Levothyroxine. Liothyronine. Spironolactone. Hydrochlorothiazide. Losartan. B12 hydroxy. Fish oil w/D3. Bee pollen. Magnesium Glycinate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Marsha. Just stopping by to send some healing vibes your way.

If I'm reading your account correctly, you're still on clonazepam and gabapentin. I've been on those drugs before and they made me feel really tired and sick. So please don't gage how you feel now with how you're always going to feel. 

The doctors have done major damage, this is true for most of us here. But this does get better. 

Hi, Marsha. Just stopping by to send some healing vibes your way.

If I'm reading your account correctly, you're still on clonazepam and gabapentin. I've been on those drugs before and they made me feel really tired and sick. So please don't gage how you feel now with how you're always going to feel. 

The doctors have done major damage, this is true for most of us here. But this does get better. 

Oh thank you so much Shep for your encourement. I've taken thyroid medication for years. In fact undiagnosed hypothyroidism is how this started. My thyroid is not functioning properly. Plus being on the other drugs including the prevacid, my pulse is normal and then drops into sinus bradycardia. Everything I eat causes nausea, burning stomach, gas, and loose stools off and on. Even cold water upsets my stomach! My hair is falling out, my vision is blurry, (I just got new glasses). I have been very careful with my diet for several years, making sure I ate enough and also eating the best i could afford. For many years I hardly ate at all. The geodon suppressed my appetite. But I couldn't lose weight. Since stopping the geodon, trazodone, librium, and a beta blocker, I have lost 50 lbs. Can't get below 150lbs because of the gabapentin. I couldn't function for the most part of twelve years. Now withdrawal syndrome because I had to stop the geodon early due to emerging tardive dyskenisia. I found SA in time to help my husband in a good place with his tapering, (he is Casey here on the forum). I am really very sick right now. After years of cog fog and memory loss and isolation, I was greatly improving as I tapered, then all of this happened. I truly appreciate your encourement, but I just have a feeling my life may be over soon due to the damage from these drugs and I will be in the sleeping car until I am resurrected. Take care Shep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Marsha. It's good that your husband made it here in a good place to start his tapering.

But I'm like you - I did a lot of cold turkey / rapid tapers and that does take its toll. One thing I picked up on the benzo boards is the concept of "distraction until it because a habit". This really helped with intrusive thoughts, anxiety, and getting too lost in the isolation of all of this.

Basically, you just find things that you can do to distract within the range of your current cognitive abilities. At first, I did a lot of online jigsaw puzzles like on this website:

http://www.jigsawplanet.com/

I found it really relaxing. I'd put on a guided meditation (Mooji is my favorite) and let that play in the background as I worked the puzzles. 

And then I moved on to math games which helped me because I used to be an accountant and now I work as a bookkeeper and am hoping to get back into accounting. So the math games are great for me, and I'm sure you can find things that work for you, too.

Over time, the distractions became a habit that I looked forward to. My headspace was no longer surrounded with depressing self-talk. Also, it was very "healing" for my CNS. 

It didn't happen overnight, but in a matter of a few months, I was in a much better place emotionally.

I hope these ideas help.  :)

Hi, Marsha. It's good that your husband made it here in a good place to start his tapering.

But I'm like you - I did a lot of cold turkey / rapid tapers and that does take its toll. One thing I picked up on the benzo boards is the concept of "distraction until it because a habit". This really helped with intrusive thoughts, anxiety, and getting too lost in the isolation of all of this.

Basically, you just find things that you can do to distract within the range of your current cognitive abilities. At first, I did a lot of online jigsaw puzzles like on this website:

http://www.jigsawplanet.com/

I found it really relaxing. I'd put on a guided meditation (Mooji is my favorite) and let that play in the background as I worked the puzzles. 

And then I moved on to math games which helped me because I used to be an accountant and now I work as a bookkeeper and am hoping to get back into accounting. So the math games are great for me, and I'm sure you can find things that work for you, too.

Over time, the distractions became a habit that I looked forward to. My headspace was no longer surrounded with depressing self-talk. Also, it was very "healing" for my CNS. 

It didn't happen overnight, but in a matter of a few months, I was in a much better place emotionally.

I hope these ideas help.  :)

Thank you Shep for all of the help and insight you have so graciously been sharing with me. I want you to know that your posts, wherever I find them, really snap me back to my senses and I know I will be okay, I will make it. You have become a valuable member of this forum. Thank you with all my heart.

Having stabilized from stopping the geodon December 19, I began my prevacid taper on April 17. Followed the protocol explained in the tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers by reducing one quarter of the beads in the capsule. It's been one week and no rebound acid refluxed. But I have noticed that I have been easily brought to tears. I can live with this symptom but I think I will wait another week before I reduce to half of the dose. Is it okay to do it this way even if I am easily brought to tears? If I do like Shep suggested and distract myself when I feel tears welling up I am able to cope. I really think the prevacid needs to go. My diet has been excellent since 2013. I never really had but occasional heartburn when I got put on prevacid in 2009. They never said it was for short term use only and never checked to see if I was deficient in B12 or anything else. I have received extremely poor healthcare since around 2000.

• Moderator Emeritus

You sound like you're doing better, Marsha. That's good to hear - learning to distract and cope is great news!

If your stomach problems aren't getting worse and your only worsening symptom is being easily brought to tears AND you're able to find the coping skills to handle it, sounds like your taper is going well. 

Keep going forward. 

Had a very bad experience with the neurologist yesterday. Lin Zhang of uc davis neurology clinic. He actually laughed in my face and accused me of faking my symptoms. The statistics he quoted for tardive dyskenisia were outdated and he didn't reflect current knowledge of the different ways td manifests itself. He was very disrespectful of my husband and me. He didn't like it when I told him of the actual statistics. He had a resident doctor do the evaluation and then she stepped out of the room to confer with him. I hadn't even seen him. They conferred without my husband and I present. Also, the facility was old and dirty. Also, my stomach started to feel nauseous and my sleep was interrupted last night waking up anxious with nausea. Did I make a mistake in starting the prevacid taper? I feel so anxious and sick to my stomach this morning. What did I do wrong?

Had a very bad experience with the neurologist yesterday. Lin Zhang of uc davis neurology clinic. He actually laughed in my face and accused me of faking my symptoms. The statistics he quoted for tardive dyskenisia were outdated and he didn't reflect current knowledge of the different ways td manifests itself. He was very disrespectful of my husband and me. He didn't like it when I told him of the actual statistics. He had a resident doctor do the evaluation and then she stepped out of the room to confer with him. I hadn't even seen him. They conferred without my husband and I present. Also, the facility was old and dirty. Also, my stomach started to feel nauseous and my sleep was interrupted last night waking up anxious with nausea. Did I make a mistake in starting the prevacid taper? I feel so anxious and sick to my stomach this morning. What did I do wrong?

everything okay. Just took some baking soda and water and stomach settled right down. My husband and I are filing complaint with the appropriate agencies. Feeling much better.

ReadWithdrawal dialogues & encouragement

Waking with panic or anxiety -- managing cortisol spikes

You've made so many changes recently, probably it would be best for you to let your nervous system settle down. Keep everything steady for a good while, maybe months. Please stop fixating on getting off all the drugs, you need to take care of yourself by being patient.

Altostrata, I know you are exactly right in advising me to wait months to taper anything. But it is getting really bad out here with no money and no doctors who will maintain me on clonazepam. I have bought a little time by asking the only doctor who will prescribe clonazepam to let me taper off the prevacid first. I am in the position where I must endure withdrawal with an unstable nervous system. It has really gotten this bad for Medicare and media-cal recipients. Please forgive me. I must survive the best way I know how right now. It really is an ugly world we live in right now. There is nothing to do but hope they don't destroy me in their crude ideas of tapering. I will continue to use non drug ways of dealing with my symptoms and look forward to better times in the future.

• Administrator

Marsha, any type of doctor can prescribe clonazepam, even an OB-GYN. Are any of your doctors sympathetic?

Does Medi-Cal limit the prescription of clonazepam?

You're not off the Prevacid yet, can you work out a more gradual clonazepam tapering schedule with your doctor?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Marsha, any type of doctor can prescribe clonazepam, even an OB-GYN. Are any of your doctors sympathetic?

Does Medi-Cal limit the prescription of clonazepam?

You're not off the Prevacid yet, can you work out a more gradual clonazepam tapering schedule with your doctor?

Thank you Altostrata. I know that any doctor can prescribe clonazepam. In lake county where I live there is adventist health and sitter. I have been advised by the addiction doctor at adventist health that no provider will prescribe benzodiazepines and she is correct. I have asked and been told flat out no. The addiction doctor will prescribe but only if I am ready to taper right now and only according to her method which is not based on 10 % or less of the current dose. I have called so many doctors and have not found one except the doctor who currently prescribes. I will see him Friday. I have been on 3/4 dose of prevacid for two weeks. I am going to ask him to prescribe 1/2 the dose or 15 mgs finish the vial that I am taking 3/4 dose from. Then start on the 15 mgs and taper slowly until I am off. I will ask him to maintain the 3 mgs clonazepam and basically tell him how to properly reduce it. I really don't know where the pressure to not prescribe benzodiazepines is coming from. But it is an epidemic here in lake county. I pay out o of pocket to see the doctor who currently prescribes the clonazepam. I will do my best with him on Friday.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh Marsha, I'm so sorry you had to go through this!

When you've suffered as much as you have, and struggle with health concerns caused by drugs and other problems, the last thing you need is to be "shamed" or disbelieved.

Your stomach upset is probably your "enteric brain" - there is a long nerve, called the vagus nerve, which connects your gut to your brain, via various organs.  It is the reason we call our emotions a "gut feeling."

Your gut was reacting to abuse from that doctor, and probably rightfully so.

Spend some time taking care of yourself, being gentle to yourself.  If you need to, hold the prevacid taper for awhile.

I'm glad you're feeling better from that experience:

everything okay. Just took some baking soda and water and stomach settled right down. My husband and I are filing complaint with the appropriate agencies. Feeling much better. 

But I guess I would like you to acknowledge that your system took a "hit," a stress, in dealing with that doctor, and to be extra kind to yourself.

I really don't know where the pressure to not prescribe benzodiazepines is coming from. But it is an epidemic here in lake county. 

It is a worldwide pressure.  The doctors still see the other drugs (neuroleptics, SSRI's SNRI's) as a "safer" alternative to the benzos, and so the pressure to come off them too quickly and too painfully is cruel, but very real.

Some of this pressure might come from drug companies, who want docs to try their latest and greatest "blockbuster" instead of the older, out-of-patent and excoriated benzos.  Some of it comes from law enforcement, where there is street trade in these drugs.

It makes me want to rage - you are an adult, and you were put on this drug by a doctor - who doesn't understand how to come off it safely!

Even though it is out of date, the Ashton Manual is sometimes accepted by rehab facilities as a valid practice.  It is not as cautious as what we do here at SA, but it is more cautious than the addiction specialists want.  Cite your health problems and history, show them the manual (which has had great successes worldwide).  It's free, online.  There's an even better guide from an Australian organization, and I'm embarrassed to say I cannot find it right now.

How have you been feeling?  Have you been stabilizing (other than when that doctor abused you) while you've been tapering prevacid?  Do you feel like you are ready to face your first 10% taper from clonazepam?

Good luck with your doctor, please let us know how it goes.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Oh Marsha, I'm so sorry you had to go through this!

When you've suffered as much as you have, and struggle with health concerns caused by drugs and other problems, the last thing you need is to be "shamed" or disbelieved.

Your stomach upset is probably your "enteric brain" - there is a long nerve, called the vagus nerve, which connects your gut to your brain, via various organs.  It is the reason we call our emotions a "gut feeling."

Your gut was reacting to abuse from that doctor, and probably rightfully so.

Spend some time taking care of yourself, being gentle to yourself.  If you need to, hold the prevacid taper for awhile.

I'm glad you're feeling better from that experience:

But I guess I would like you to acknowledge that your system took a "hit," a stress, in dealing with that doctor, and to be extra kind to yourself.

I really don't know where the pressure to not prescribe benzodiazepines is coming from. But it is an epidemic here in lake county. 

It is a worldwide pressure.  The doctors still see the other drugs (neuroleptics, SSRI's SNRI's) as a "safer" alternative to the benzos, and so the pressure to come off them too quickly and too painfully is cruel, but very real.

Some of this pressure might come from drug companies, who want docs to try their latest and greatest "blockbuster" instead of the older, out-of-patent and excoriated benzos.  Some of it comes from law enforcement, where there is street trade in these drugs.

It makes me want to rage - you are an adult, and you were put on this drug by a doctor - who doesn't understand how to come off it safely!

Even though it is out of date, the Ashton Manual is sometimes accepted by rehab facilities as a valid practice.  It is not as cautious as what we do here at SA, but it is more cautious than the addiction specialists want.  Cite your health problems and history, show them the manual (which has had great successes worldwide).  It's free, online.  There's an even better guide from an Australian organization, and I'm embarrassed to say I cannot find it right now.

How have you been feeling?  Have you been stabilizing (other than when that doctor abused you) while you've been tapering prevacid?  Do you feel like you are ready to face your first 10% taper from clonazepam?

Good luck with your doctor, please let us know how it goes.

ok JanCarol here goes. My visit with the doctor went extremely well. He basically said, taper whatever drug you want for as long as you need. More about him in a little bit. I felt my cns was stable when I reduced the prevacid by 1/4 of the dose. I have not experienced any reflux or nausea since the disaster with the neurologist. But it may have been too soon to start the prevacid taper. I think I destabilized my cns a bit. But at the time I was under pressure to taper so I figured I would try to taper the prevacid first. I just have some aches and pains. Also I have to take in to account that my thyroid is all messed up. So I am going to get that sorted out and hold on the prevacid for now. A little bit of disturbed sleep but no anxious panic waking or anything like that. Anyway, about my doctor. He is not benzo wise and has no experience tapering but he is knowledgeable of paws and I feel I may be able to recommend him as long as you are forewarned that he does like to use drugs, he will not force you to take anything if you don't want it. I have taught him a lot. You just have to be ready with the knowledge and tools you have learned here on SA and simply tell him how you want to taper. He does take some insurance but if you have to pay up front he is 150.00 per half hour. And he will write scripts for three months worth and let you pay 50.00 monthly. I think he has potential. Just know your stuff and be firm with him. Do you think Alto would like his contact info? When I see him again I will ask him if he would like to offer his help.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Marsha. It's great you have a doctor that will taper you as slowly as you need and listen to you. I bet you have taught him a lot! After all, we are the ones with lived history, so we really are the experts. 

I hope you're doing well this weekend. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Marsha, I am so glad the doctors appointment went  well, you must be so relieved. It is great that he is on side for tapering your way.   :)  I am sure Alto would like his contact details if he is agreeable to helping others to taper.  Having a doctor who is willing to let a person taper at their own pace is a gem! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi, Marsha. It's great you have a doctor that will taper you as slowly as you need and listen to you. I bet you have taught him a lot! After all, we are the ones with lived history, so we really are the experts. 

I hope you're doing well this weekend. Thank you Shep for thoughts and encouragement. Went to my beloved pacific ocean this weekend. Didn't feel physically well but felt solice to be walking in the sand watching and listening to the breakers. Hope to move back to my beloved coast someday.

Hi Marsha, I am so glad the doctors appointment went  well, you must be so relieved. It is great that he is on side for tapering your way.   :)  I am sure Alto would like his contact details if he is agreeable to helping others to taper.  Having a doctor who is willing to let a person taper at their own pace is a gem!

Hi mammaP. Thank you for stopping by. I am relieved in a way. But I have been having nightmares about clonazepam. The nightmares are fear filled that the clonazepam is going to turn paradoxical and that i am going to hit tolerance and that i have to get off it now! I have received more dreadful news. Many of our dear friends and family are undergoing severe trials. My brother in law has been dealing with the horror he experienced in Vietnam and has been on several different drugs. I talked to my mother this morning and by what she described, he now is sleeping all the time and eating huge amounts of food. I fear he may have been put on a neuroleptic. Also, his brother's heart has been severely damaged by Lyme disease and he just suffered another major heart attack. Also his wife has cancer and they are trying to save her but the outcome doesn't look good. We are all believers and very close.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you're doing well this weekend. Thank you Shep for thoughts and encouragement. Went to my beloved pacific ocean this weekend. Didn't feel physically well but felt solice to be walking in the sand watching and listening to the breakers. Hope to move back to my beloved coast someday.

The pacific ocean sounds like a very restorative place to go. I'm glad you were able to walk in the sand and listen to the waves. Wishing you a good day. 

i dont know what has happened. i have been steadily improvingand for the most partstable for two months approximately. SAleep was very good No waking with panic, Then the last weekstarted having nightmares and sleep started to deteriorate. Also anxiety and panic and last night when i took my clonazepam and gabapentin within 20 minutes i was agitated tried to go to sleep but my heart was beating hard in my chest and i felt like i did when i was locked up and cold turkeyed off benzodiazepines. i felt the complete opposite of what the clonazepam is supposed to do oh what a huge mess am i going to get out of this alive i think the clonazepam has turned paradoxicaland i have reached tolerance what am i going to do i cant reinstate anything i am not completely out of the woods from having to stop the geodon i am terrified how am i going to  proceed what are the protocols for a situation like this

• Moderator Emeritus

Marsha, there will more days like this.   Once you get a few hours of sleep behind you, you will be in a better place to evaluate and respond to your family's need.

Sending warm thoughts your way.

I do not have a medical background, any opinions are my own.

I took zopiclone ( z-drug) for situational insomnia. Three weeks later I was having panic attacks. I was given Benzos, A/D, anti-psychotics, "mood stabilizers" and I kept getting worse and worse. I got very sick.

I have been off all drugs now for over 5 years and I'm healing nicely.

I'm sorry...windows and waves, windows and waves. Epsoms salts baths helped me tremendously through those times, not in making it all ok, but survivable. I also benefitted from taurine for heart symptoms, don't know if you can tolerate that.

Marsha, whether you're in tolerance or withdrawal, the treatment is pretty much the same, a slow taper when you are up to it. For me, that often means the margin in my personal life to feel worse/be less functional while I go through another bout of symptoms.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Marsha, there will more days like this.   Once you get a few hours of sleep behind you, you will be in a better place to evaluate and respond to your family's need.

Sending warm thoughts your way.

Thank you Wellness. I will try to reduce 2.5 percent tomorrow.

I'm sorry...windows and waves, windows and waves. Epsoms salts baths helped me tremendously through those times, not in making it all ok, but survivable. I also benefitted from taurine for heart symptoms, don't know if you can tolerate that.

Marsha, whether you're in tolerance or withdrawal, the treatment is pretty much the same, a slow taper when you are up to it. For me, that often means the margin in my personal life to feel worse/be less functional while I go through another bout of symptoms.

What a terrible choice I had to make in December. Keep taking the neuroleptic and let the td progress. My husband said he could see my face and fingers twitch and my jaw clench and at the dentist I saw my face twitching and my lower jaw flopped all over they had to put a block in my mouth to hold it in place. The other choice was risk withdrawal syndrome by stopping the geodon. So my husband and I made the choice. We are facing it together. In the past five months I have recovered clarity of mind that has been missing for twelve years. I am looking ahead. I have hope.

• Moderator Emeritus

In the past five months I have recovered clarity of mind that has been missing for twelve years. I am looking ahead. I have hope.

This is really good to hear, Marsha. Hope is the key and you sound good. Wishing you a great weekend. 

I don't know if I can continue with this forum. I am easily confused and feel like I am seeing mixed messages, favoritism and that i am being dropped like a hot potato because I have had to make controversial decisions concerning my healthcare. I would like to stay here but feel a negativity here that is not conducive to my healing. Please everybody, be kind like meimeiquest always is. Please don't judge me and abandon me because my tapering decisions are. ...........why bother. I am sorry, but I just don't fit in here. I don't feel welcome anymore.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you feel that way Marsha, we care about all our members and don't intentionally ignore anyone.  The forum moves very fast sometimes and posts drop off the first page before they are seen by mods.  

Did you try the 2.5% cut to clonazepam?  It sounds like you are in a wave right now but it will pass and be replaced by another window. 

Remember the day at the beach and how lovely it was. There will be many more days at the beach to look forward to, just hang in there and ride the wave. I have had so many awful waves and they do pass.  Mamma hugs. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I don't know if I can continue with this forum. I am easily confused and feel like I am seeing mixed messages, favoritism and that i am being dropped like a hot potato because I have had to make controversial decisions concerning my healthcare. I would like to stay here but feel a negativity here that is not conducive to my healing. Please everybody, be kind like meimeiquest always is. Please don't judge me and abandon me because my tapering decisions are. ...........why bother. I am sorry, but I just don't fit in here. I don't feel welcome anymore.

I want to apologize for my outburst above. It was uncalled for. I am a Christian and am ashamed that I dishonored my God by my behavior. Thank you mammaP for the loving counsel.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Marsha,

I want to thank you for posting your apology.  It takes a lot of courage to do that.

Just remember that most of us here do understand how hard this drug withdrawal and the accompanying symptoms can be.  That's what is so good about being a member here.  We can be supported by people who can truly empathise with fellow withdrawers.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Marsha. Sounds like you're getting visited by the intrusive thoughts that drug withdrawal can cause making us second guess everything. You do indeed belong here because I get those, too. A lot of people have written about that, so you definitely belong here. 

Just remember those negative thoughts are coming from withdrawal and let them pass by without paying them any attention. They simply aren't true. 

Hey, Marsha. Sounds like you're getting visited by the intrusive thoughts that drug withdrawal can cause making us second guess everything. You do indeed belong here because I get those, too. A lot of people have written about that, so you definitely belong here. 

Just remember those negative thoughts are coming from withdrawal and let them pass by without paying them any attention. They simply aren't true.

Oh Shep I don't know if my brain will recover. I have realized that the past 20 years has been one adverse reaction after another. The drugs especially the geodon emptied my brain completely. I was losing my intellect from the antidepressants and benzos from 1994 but in 2004 after a year of low dose zyprexa I was put on max dose of geodon and my brain literally shut down. I literally lost my mind as an adverse reaction to the geodon. In an instant i went from a partially functioning brain to a vast storehouse filled with nothing. Just a walking corpse. It is too much. It is too much! Is this my brain coming alive amidst withdrawal syndrome and klonopin withdrawals? It's too intense. Please tell me one thing I can do right now to get control.

Oh Shep I don't know if my brain will recover. I have realized that the past 20 years has been one adverse reaction after another. The drugs especially the geodon emptied my brain completely. I was losing my intellect from the antidepressants and benzos from 1994 but in 2004 after a year of low dose zyprexa I was put on max dose of geodon and my brain literally shut down. I literally lost my mind as an adverse reaction to the geodon. In an instant i went from a partially functioning brain to a vast storehouse filled with nothing. Just a walking corpse. It is too much. It is too much! Is this my brain coming alive amidst withdrawal syndrome and klonopin withdrawals? It's too intense. Please tell me one thing I can do right now to get control.
Oh no no no no! I just found my night dose of klonopin and gabapentin. I forgot to take them.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's what I do:  Deep, cleansing breath. Find a quiet room and listen to some relaxing music. This is one of my favorite playlists of classical music with nature sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1RsIDCQNos&list=PL9015485B4C6E4E8D

Even if you have anxiety and / or akathisia and you need to pace, that's okay. 

From my own experience and just reading these kinds of forums, it seems like there are times when the memory center of the brain gets hit at the same time as the fear center. The brain is in this highly excitable mode and searching for memories to "attach" to that level of extreme fear or agitation. 

And then it gets mixed in with the type of extreme memory problems you're talking about. And the mind gets even more agitated because there are no words to "attach" to it. At least not words that adequately convey the absolute horror of withdrawal. 

But it's all just withdrawal. It really is. And it's not permanent.

So finding calming ways of distracting is the best thing in the world. In time, these episodes will because less and less intense. The waves will be shorter, the windows will come in, and you experience of using distraction will be a habit that will make all of this so much easier to cope with. 

Oh no no no no! I just found my night dose of klonopin and gabapentin. I forgot to take them.

Or it could be you just forgot to take your medication! Lol! I wrote all of the above and then noticed you had added this part.

You're going to be fine. We've all missed a dose or two. Tonight you'll take it and feel better.