Hair loss, poor condition, body hair, excessive hair growth

ruby

Anyone noticed grey hair during withdrawal?

I'm starting to see grey hair during withdrawal. Anyone else? How can I reverse this?

Before you say it is in the genes: No one in my family have grey hair.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with existing topic

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

• 2 months later...

BUMP

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

• 8 months later...

Def noticing hair loss this past month since I started tapering in November.  Read up on boron and diatomaceous earth.

94-2000 Prozac, 2000-2001 zoloft

2001-2003 paxil, 2002 1 mg klonopin

2003-2004 effexor,  ct  klonopin,  in hospital  put on Seroquel & lexapro , 2005 Ct lexapro, in the hospital again, imipramine 250mg, 2009-2010 weaned off seroquel, 2016-17tapered imipramine to 150, 2017-19 100 mg, 2020 jumped to 50 mg a week later went back up to 60. 11/22 56 mg

12-22 50mg 4/5/23 - 47mg 4/16 - 40 mg 6/27/23-35mg, 4/15/24 33mg

1/20 1 mg ropinirol  3/21 ropinirol 2 mg 

4/23 Ozempic .25, 6/26/23 .37mg 12/1/23 .39mg, 4/24 40mg

Supplements: boron, Vitamin C, diatomaceous earth, cream of tartar  and Celtic sea salt, transdermal magnesium oil

• 6 months later...

Hello beautiful comrades. It's me, still soldering on at 5 years this month in withdrawal from $#%$#$ Lexapro. Never knew when I first came across SA that I would be such a protracted case. I persevere. I pray daily for healing for me and others 🙏 I wanted to ask a specific question about hair. Two years ago I moved to Berlin and since then my hair has been falling considerably and is extraordinarily dry. I went from thick bouncy long curls to thin straw-like hair that looks insane, dry and damaged, and madly poofy when I get up from my pillow every morning. All this time I thought it was mostly from the hard water in the city, which is very different from the much softer water in Cairo where I lived before. Berlin is known for its hard water. But after trying different filters and endless products here - including ones specifically made for hard water buildup - I am starting to realize that maybe this hair condition I am suffering is from withdrawal and not the water. It seems the water is only partially the cause. Does anyone have any input on this, or has experienced this? If so, do you have suggestions as to what I can do. It's challenging enough to physically and mentally endure withdrawal without having to experience it in my appearance too. Should I do one of those heavy metals hair strand tests or something? Thanks for any help and have a lovely day, fellow warriors 💜

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Summer 2018: tapered down by 2.5 mg every few weeks

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• Administrator

@SolarPlexus please see discussion above.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

On 8/11/2023 at 3:06 AM, Altostrata said:

@SolarPlexus please see discussion above.

Thank you soo much dearest @Altostrata I appreciate it. I wish you a wonderful day!

Summer 2016 - summer 2018: put on Lexapro, going from 5 mg up to 20 mg over the span of the 2 years (had visited shrink for help with obsessive thinking, was not diagnosed with anything in particular, just prescribed Lexapro 15 mins into first session)

Protracted withdrawal ever since. 0-14 months began with a massive panic attack that landed me in ER, followed by prolonged anxiety, mental fog and a skin rash on my back. Was regularly consuming alcohol as did not know I was in WD. From then onwards, hit with worse myriad symptoms. Currently at 22 months and have electromagnetic sensitivity, brain zaps, brain fog, memory problems (especially name recall), twitch in right eyebrow, daily waking up at 3 or 4 a.m. with fast heartbeats and "sticky" negative memories, suicidal thoughts, rage episodes, temperature dysregulation, physical numbness & weakness, libido loss.   

• Moderator Emeritus

@SolarPlexus, hello! I’m a longtime SA member, but I was silent (for various life reasons) on here for quite a while, but now I’m back to try and help :) 

Anyway, I had massive hair loss because of withdrawal. My hair came off of my head in golf ball-sized wads, tons falling out a day for a very long time. Plus, I suffered from a little bit of alopecia areata bc of WD, which made actual chunks fall out of my eyelashes and eyebrows. It was devastating.

But my hair DID come back, as did my eyelashes and brows. For me, it seemed to help to do the following:

-Add natural sources of iron to my diet, specifically organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses

-make sure I was eating good sources of protein for the B12, such as chicken

-drinking whole milk

-drinking soy milk

-getting safe amounts of natural sun for vitamin D

-using castor oil on my eyebrows

-using essential oils on my hair, specifically jojoba oil with a few drops of rosemary oil in it OR using grapeseed oil. I would not use them all at the same time. I would do either the jojoba/rosemary mixture OR the plain grapeseed oil. It is easy to find safe mixing guides online for essential oils. 
-wash my hair with shampoo that contains biotin and collagen and wheat protein

My hair eventually came back so thick that I now have trouble shoving it under wigs for Halloween costumes! Seriously. For example, I just dressed up to go to a movie theater for the Barbie movie, and I struggled to get all of my real hair to go under the blonde wig :) 

Please don’t give up! 

Edited by WiggleIt
Fixing my own typos, as usual!

*I'm not a doctor and don't give medical advice, just personal experience
**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not
-Dual cold turkeys off TCA & Ativan in Oct 2014. Prescribed from 2011-2014

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Desipramine Jan 2014 - Oct. 29, 2014 (rapid taper/cold turkey)

-Lorazepam 1 mg per night during 2011
-Lorazepam 1 mg per month in 2012 (or less)

-Lorazepam on & off, Dec 2013 through Aug 2014. Didn't exceed 3x a week

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged
-7 years off: Huge improvements, incl. improved dystonia

• Moderator Emeritus

@SolarPlexus You should also find a conditioner specifically made for curly hair, and find a leave-in curl cream that you can put in your wet hair after you’ve washed it!

**Off all meds since Nov. 2014. Mentally & emotionally recovered; physically not

-All meds were Rxed off-label for an autoimmune illness.  It was a MISDIAGNOSIS, but I did not find out until AFTER meds caused damage.  All med tapers/cold turkeys directed by doctors 

-Nortriptyline May 2012 - Dec 2013. Cold turkey off nortrip & cold switched to desipramine

-Lorazepam again in Oct. 2014 to help get off of desipramine. Last dose lzpam was 1 mg, Nov. 2, 2014. Immediate paradoxical reactions to benzos after stopping TCAs 

-First muscle/dystonia side effects started on nortriptyline, but docs too stupid to figure it out. On desipramine, muscle tremors & rigidity worsened

-Two weeks after I got off all meds, I developed full-blown TD.  Tardive dystonia, dyskinesia, myoclonic jerks ALL over body, ribcage wiggles, facial tics, twitching tongue & fingers, tremors/twitches of arms, legs, cognitive impairment, throat muscles semi-paralyzed & unable to swallow solid food, brain zaps, ears ring, dizzy, everything looks too far away, insomnia, numbness & electric shocks everywhere when I try to fall asleep, jerk awake from sleep with big, gasping breaths, wake with terrors & tremors, severely depressed.  NO HISTORY OF DEPRESSION, EVER. Meds CREATED it.

-Month 7: hair falling out; no vision improvement; still tardive dystonia; facial & tongue tics returned
-Month 8: back to acute, incl. Grand Mal seizure-like episodes. New mental torment, PGAD, worse insomnia
-Month 9: tardive dystonia worse, dyskinesia returned. Unable to breathe well due to dystonia in stomach, chest, throat
-Month 13: Back to acute, brain zaps back, developed eczema & stomach problems. Left leg no longer works right due to dystonia, meaning both legs now damaged

• Moderator Emeritus

@SolarPlexus Last thing, I promise! I never bothered with any hair strand testing. 

@WiggleIt i just love your energy , thank you for coming back to help 🌞 , good to know the hair falling out thingy was normal in wd , and although mine has grown back i will try some of the things you done to get yours growing again , i think you are the one who recommended organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses for me to get iron in because i have anemia ☺️

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• Moderator Emeritus
18 hours ago, Phoenixmama said:

@WiggleIt i just love your energy , thank you for coming back to help 🌞 , good to know the hair falling out thingy was normal in wd , and although mine has grown back i will try some of the things you done to get yours growing again , i think you are the one who recommended organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses for me to get iron in because i have anemia ☺️

Yes!!! Another great thing about blackstrap molasses is that when it’s mixed with a glass of cold milk, it kind of tastes like an iced coffee, which is fantastic for people in withdrawal who might get too activated by coffee.

I was totally unable to handle iron supplements in withdrawal when I showed low iron, but my iron tested higher after blackstrap!!! 

@WiggleIt TASTE LIKE COFFEE!!!!! OH boy !!! its been 31 months since i had a tasty coffee , i will try it 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

On 2/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, curiousnootropics said:

Anyone noticed grey hair during withdrawal?

I'm starting to see grey hair during withdrawal. Anyone else? How can I reverse this?

Before you say it is in the genes: No one in my family have grey hair.

I estimate at least 50% of my hair had turned grey and also a lot of hair loss. The rapid greying started after the discontinuation of Lexapro. I am now about 2.5 years into withdrawal. In my mid forties. Unlike you my family has the "greying" gene. Still, the stresses of withdrawal, physical changes, life stresses and parents health crises which increased in frequency during my withdrawal period all exacerbated the speed of greying. The greying is not showing signs of slowing down...this is hitting me pretty hard as I used to look younger than my age.

Nov 2014 - Dec 2019 - 10mg Lexapro (experimented with various dosages during this period)

Jan - May 2020 - On 5mg Lexapro

June - Oct 2020  - On 2.5mg Lexapro

Nov - Dec 2020 - On 1.25mg Lexapro

Jan - February 2021 - On 1.25mg Lexapro (taking alternate days)

March - April 2021 - 300mg St John's wort

March - June 2023 - Started Sam-e 200mg (with Vitamin B complex + TMG)

Current supplements (2023) - Fish oil, Magnesium, Vit B complex

Sept 2023 - L-tryptophan

On 8/17/2023 at 12:55 PM, WiggleIt said:

@SolarPlexus, hello! I’m a longtime SA member, but I was silent (for various life reasons) on here for quite a while, but now I’m back to try and help :) 

Anyway, I had massive hair loss because of withdrawal. My hair came off of my head in golf ball-sized wads, tons falling out a day for a very long time. Plus, I suffered from a little bit of alopecia areata bc of WD, which made actual chunks fall out of my eyelashes and eyebrows. It was devastating.

But my hair DID come back, as did my eyelashes and brows. For me, it seemed to help to do the following:

-Add natural sources of iron to my diet, specifically organic unsulphured blackstrap molasses

-make sure I was eating good sources of protein for the B12, such as chicken

-drinking whole milk

-drinking soy milk

-getting safe amounts of natural sun for vitamin D

-using castor oil on my eyebrows

-using essential oils on my hair, specifically jojoba oil with a few drops of rosemary oil in it OR using grapeseed oil. I would not use them all at the same time. I would do either the jojoba/rosemary mixture OR the plain grapeseed oil. It is easy to find safe mixing guides online for essential oils. 
-wash my hair with shampoo that contains biotin and collagen and wheat protein

My hair eventually came back so thick that I now have trouble shoving it under wigs for Halloween costumes! Seriously. For example, I just dressed up to go to a movie theater for the Barbie movie, and I struggled to get all of my real hair to go under the blonde wig :) 

Please don’t give up! 

I just saw your comments!!! Thank you soooo much for your kind feedback, your tips, and the hope you’r you’ve given me. I am soo grateful. I hope one day too to recover and get all of my life back including my hair! You are very kind. Made my day reading your advice and I’ll try out your natural tips. I’m thinking of also getting a b12 supplement for kids since I can’t handle most ordinary supplements. I wish you a beautiful weekend 💜

On 8/17/2023 at 12:58 PM, WiggleIt said:

@SolarPlexus You should also find a conditioner specifically made for curly hair, and find a leave-in curl cream that you can put in your wet hair after you’ve washed it!

Definitely looking for a good one! Thank you!

On 8/17/2023 at 12:59 PM, WiggleIt said:

@SolarPlexus Last thing, I promise! I never bothered with any hair strand testing. 

No need to apologise. I’m soo grateful you’re taking the time to help me 💜🙏🏻

• 6 months later...

Good to read that your hair did grow back @WiggleIt.

Gives me some hope this will be the case for me too. But it’s hard to say what’s causing the hair loss or growth. Is it a symptom of WD, the stress or just aging (45yo)? When I started tapering citalopram a few years ago I noticed significant hair loss, and greying. Covid made it worse, but the last year or so when on hold my hair density seemed to recover a bit. After I tapered from 6 to 4mg on january 6th I started to notice hair loss again. I’m taking a lot of supplements like whey isolate, collagen etc. But only time will tell.

what I didnt see when scrolling through this topic is aloe vera gel, which can be of benefit for the hair too, when applying it to the scalp and hair. Maybe helpful for others dealing with hair problems.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy