Blood Pressure Statistics/History

compsports

As many folks on this board are aware, it used to be acceptable to have higher blood blood pressure numbers before meds were needed.    Supposedly studies showed that this was incorrect and that meds were now required

Being the suspicious type, I wonder how valid they were or if this was another case of big pharma looking to expand their market.   Anyone have more information?

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist but I know you all will understand.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

things like weight, bodyfat composition, and blood pressure have been demonstrated to be particular to genetic populations and lifestyles, and without universal "healthy" target values or corresponding good health accompanying a single category of numbers.  poke around some public scholarly databases and i bet youd hit on some relevant materials.  id post some links if i had some offhand, but those notions are so widely accepted now (relativistically speaking) that i dont keep materials around.

with what ive been learning (or finally able to learn??) after quitting all the meds is that its very difficult to be truly conspiratorial in mind when you take into account how winding and winnowing all the 'science' fed to us is.

another really important thing is that, as shady and backhanded as medication studies are today, they were possibly even more misleading in the earlier days (like the 40s through the 60s when pop-sci began tackling things like diet and consumer goods for the sake of profiteering).  for instance, all the guidelines used to establish daily dietary values, the studies into how healthy meat-eating is, stuff regarding everything from the safety of microwaves and margarine to chemical exposure tolerances and the value of artificial vitamin fortification.  partly due to ineptitude, partly due to methodology, partly due to scammy coverups.  theres also some competing scientific ideas from that period that got some press back in the day but didnt survive in the mainstream consciousness.

part of our problem as information seekers is that a globalized world and economy has meant a pretty sizable reduction in the variety of information, goods, and perspectives offered to us.  and that seems backwards, when you think of never leaving a city in ones whole life versus the possibilities opened to us with the advent of online communication, but you have to consider it from the angle of power consolidation.  the richest have always had the most influence over material matters, like what goods are available and how marketing is done, and global networking means the rich will band together (be it personally, corporately, or governmentally---but usually all three) and create wider ranges of personal and economic influence, as opposed to the everyman having more freedom from the prominent influence of the affluent.

philosophical dissent is less tolerated than 100 years ago, and increasing amounts of our information (both factual and expressive) comes from the same payroll of people and organizations.  its like an invisible hegemony because we often still think of things as being more like they were 100-200 years ago...separate companies truly being separate and competitive, or two very different trades not being so financially interdependent that one body of decisionmaking determines how both are run and what services are offered to the consumer.

so, what im trying to say is that all institutions are basically just self-justifying their ideas in one giant circle-jerk of perpetual profiteering.  the specific motives and ideas of particular individuals involved, be they scientists or CEOs or doctors, are essentially insignificant in the face of the fact that the system itself is propped up by a bigoted inscrutability.  let them call you a conspiracy theorist, because its clear that they are conspiring, whether its consciously, willingly, or just as dumb sods.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

Although this is not at all surprising...it is thoroughly disgusting...and makes the case to me for staying away from doctors, who in most cases, are nothing more than glorified drug dealers.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Just like the statins.

Did you get wind of the NEJM series by Lisa Rosenbaum MD? It was blogged right and left.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMms1502493(Part 1)

The first example she gave was meant in part to reflect badly on the author of a study with findings that didn't fit with the new 2013 guidelines.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

freespirit - I agree about staying from doctors whenever possible.   Even when they try to give non med advice like about diet, it is totally off.

WC - OMG statins are even worse then BP meds according to my research.   Yeah, I saw those article you were referring to.   COI, no big deal.  Yeah right says CS sarcastically.    Sheesh!

CS

It's been hilarious to watch. At first the author's Twitter feed was full of fawning posts from other docs. it stayed that way for a few weeks while until the funny BMJ guy -- Leyman? -- weighed in, twice.

Once it escaped the ivy-league internist/cardiology crowd it was out of control. It might be legendary...time will tell. It was  manipulative, and not really logical as some bloggers have pointed out. Smug.

Here's a fawner from twitter. It's a male MD:

I could spend wks, no, months, responding to @LisaRosenbaum17’s piece @nejm http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMms1502497That’s what makes it so good

Take a shower, dude.

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

WC,

I guess I should visit Twitter for some entertainment.

All sarcasm and jokes aside, I understand that even if COIs were eliminated that there isn't any doctor who is going to be completely biased free as none of us are.   But isn't the goal to minimize it as much as possible to maximize the chances that the medical advice provided meets the needs of patients and not the pocketbook of doctors?  It seems like a simple concept but maybe I am missing something.