SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cipro, Levaquin, Azithromycin (Z-Pack), and other antibiotics

wdtony

MOD NOTE:

VIDEO WARNING about Fluoroquinolones moxifloxacin, ciprofloxacin, ciprofloxacin extended release, gemifloxacin, levofloxacin and ofloxacin

Antibiotics with the WORST Side Effects (Dangerous Antibiotics) Fluoroquinolones

Youtube video by KenDBerryMD

For transcript of this video please click this link

FDA warning July 10, 2018

fda-updates-warnings-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics-risks-mental-health-and-low-blood-sugar-adverse

FDA warning May 10, 2017

fda-warns-about-increased-risk-ruptures-or-tears-aorta-blood-vessel-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics

FDA warning:  In 2016 the FDA strengthened its warning that fluoroquinolones, may cause sudden, serious, and potentially permanent nerve damage called peripheral neuropathy.

fda-drug-safety-communication-fda-updates-warnings-oral-and-injectable-fluoroquinolone-antibiotics

See also:  https://www.rxlist.com/cipro-drug.htm 

A partial list of fluoroquinolone medications

• ciprofloxacin (Cipro),
  • gemifloxacin (Factive),
  • levofloxacin (Levaquin),
  • moxifloxacin (Avelox),
  • norfloxacin (Noroxin), and
  • ofloxacin (Floxin).

I was just wondering if anyone has had bad reactions to antibiotics (particularly amoxicillin) after having problems with SSRI's. I have had some type of ear infection/throat infection for about 5 weeks and for some reason it won't go away. I have antibiotics from the doctor but am afraid to take them.

I think this may be irrational but I thought I would ask here anyway. I have had so many bad reactions to things which never bothered me before. I can't even take a whole aspirin...ugh.

Edited by ChessieCat
add moderator note

I was just wondering if anyone has had bad reactions to antibiotics (particularly amoxicillin) after having problems with SSRI's. I have had some type of ear infection/throat infection for about 5 weeks and for some reason it won't go away. I have antibiotics from the doctor but am afraid to take them.

I think this may be irrational but I thought I would ask here anyway. I have had so many bad reactions to things which never bothered me before. I can't even take a whole aspirin...ugh.

Well, not amoxicillin...

I did three rounds of antibiotics in the first months of my w/d. I don't know if they helped or hurt since everything was crazy. But I had odd reactions. I craved water. I drank an unbelievable amount of bottled water during this period. One day I drank a case (24 bottles) of 17oz (500ml) waters.

Docs were concerned with diabetes. Or even diabetes insipidus (or whatever, I'm too tired to look this up.. you know diabetes with normal glucose measures...) So yeah there were some issues.

I'm afraid I can't be more helpful to your specific issue... But I definitely responded unusually to those meds. I was on cipro, levaquin, bactrim if I recall.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Well, not amoxicillin...

I did three rounds of antibiotics in the first months of my w/d. I don't know if they helped or hurt since everything was crazy. But I had odd reactions. I craved water. I drank an unbelievable amount of bottled water during this period. One day I drank a case (24 bottles) of 17oz (500ml) waters.

Docs were concerned with diabetes. Or even diabetes insipidus (or whatever, I'm too tired to look this up.. you know diabetes with normal glucose measures...) So yeah there were some issues.

I'm afraid I can't be more helpful to your specific issue... But I definitely responded unusually to those meds. I was on cipro, levaquin, bactrim if I recall.

Thank you, I started taking a low dose of amoxicillin tonight. I just get so scared that something might give me another horrible adverse reaction. I guess I am gun-shy. I am only taking a quarter dose until I see if anything happens. I am probably just being irrational.... If i start to drink enormous amounts of water I will take notice. I am mainly concerned with nervous system reactions.

• Administrator

Understandable, wd. But you can't let your ear/throat infection progress to something a lot more serious. Please take the antibiotic as directed.

Don't worry about it making your other symptoms worse, it might do nothing at all.

It seems to me I took an antibiotic for a bladder infection, it made my stomach a little upset, but no big effect on withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Understandable, wd. But you can't let your ear/throat infection progress to something a lot more serious. Please take the antibiotic as directed.

Don't worry about it making your other symptoms worse, it might do nothing at all.

It seems to me I took an antibiotic for a bladder infection, it made my stomach a little upset, but no big effect on withdrawal symptoms.

I agree, I have been waiting 5 weeks for my body to fight this off but this is very unusual. I did take some antibiotics about 3 years ago and the only side effect I had was an upset stomach, as you mentioned.

Well, it has been 2.5 hours and I do feel very physically nervous but I haven't slept well for 2 days so I am not blaming the antibiotic. I had a bad akathisia episode this morning so I don't expect the day to be good. Thank you for the input. I feel crazy posting something that sems so absurd on its surface.

wd,

I didn't want to alarm you, especially with everything you're going through. I have not heard of anyone else having the type of reaction to antibiotics that I had, and I was taking a 90 day course of some strong stuff. Even then, despite all the water drinking, nothing bad happened to me.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

wd,

I didn't want to alarm you, especially with everything you're going through. I have not heard of anyone else having the type of reaction to antibiotics that I had, and I was taking a 90 day course of some strong stuff. Even then, despite all the water drinking, nothing bad happened to me.

Alex.i

Well, so far so good. It has been 5 hours and I am sure the amoxicillin is in my system. It would seem I might pull through. :)

I've taken antibiotics when I needed to... with no problems.

Well, I am on day 2 and still no problems. I am just very cautious to the point of being possibly irrational. I took a half of a pill of klonopin sveral months ago and had an akathisia reaction to it which lasted for 3 long days. And klonopin didn't used to bother me at all.

• 2 months later...

Please be cautious w quinolone class of antibiotics. Ciprofloxacin, etc. They DO have documented CNS effects, esp in elderly, I believe.

Amoxicillin is not a quinolone. It is in penicillin class along w Augmentin.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I wanted to thank everyone for their input and provide a quick update.

At first I had some nervousness with the amoxicillin which lasted about 2 days. I have now gone through 2 regimens of amoxicillin (right now I am on 2000mg a day) and it doesn't seem to be causing any trouble at all.

The infection is not completely gone but it is almost gone. I have 3 days left for this cycle of amoxicillin.

But the important thing is that I am not sensitive to amoxicillin or ,from a previous experience, doxycycline.

Thanks everyone,

Tony

• 4 months later...

Last week I had what I found out was an intestinal virus. It was brutal. Prior to that I began a recurrence of Diverticulitis. Unfortunately this happened after an 8 week end to an Imipramine taper. This virus is going around here like wild fire.

I feel like an old bag of bones right now, who does nothing but complain about being ill.

I am actually embarrassed to talk about it.

I had to go on Cipro and Flagyl (antiobiotic cocktail) for the Diverticulitis.

Cipro & Flagyl have very bad side effects. Anxiousness, diarrhea, nausea, vomitting, fatigue and Flagyl causes loss of appetite. The Diverticulitis causes loss of appetite due to the pain.

When I was in Lexapro WD I noticed that I had alot of trouble with Cipro. Flagyl is brutal regardless of how good you may feel. For me, I have sensitivities to begin with, they became worse during WD from AD's.....things changed from SSRI's. I am soooo senssitive to meds.

Please let me say this here...I am on the verge of tears. The pain from the Diverticulitis/and the virus/antibiotics is bad. I am depleted from living in the bathroom, and I need sleep. Just want to feel better.

This may not have been as bad emotionally if I had not just finished a taper.

Thanks

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• 2 months later...

I am in emerg right now with pelvic pain. Turns out I have a bad bladder infection. I have become med sensitive and turned down the pain killers and gravol. They want me to take ciprofloxacin antibiotic, but I am scared. I know it's a no no in benzo withdrawal. Does anyone know about this med an if their is a safer antibiotic? I am scared of what this will do to me as I can't even tolerate Tylenol right now. Thinking of trying to fight the infection with cranberry juice. I think the er doc will just look at me like I am nut if I tell them I am sensitive to everything.

1998-2013 Various antidepressants switches and CTs.

Benzo addiction unknowingly trying to cover withdrawals in 2011

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

Tapered Clonazepam from April to June 2012 from 1 mg to .25 mg (stuck)

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

February 2013 to December 2013 tapered off 25 mg Zoloft

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Hope this isn't to confusing.

Funny you bring up a raging UTI. I just went to urgent care this afternoon for the same problem. I won't take quinolones either because I am on a benzo. The following is what I chose to do:

If you are afraid of quinolones (ex Cipro), and you are not allergic to sulfa drugs (ex Bactrim), why not ask for Bactrim, take it and wait for the results of the culture and sensitivity to come back from the lab. Bactrim takes about 12 hours to kick in. My doc at urgent care said that if I was not improved by tomorrow, to call and they will switch me to another non-quinolone. In any event, they will call me if the culture and sensitivity comes back as not being reactive to Bactrim and then switch me.

It is NOT advisable to try and self-treat what you describe as being a very painful bladder infection with home treatments. Cranberry juice may acidify your urine, but it will not kill bacteria.

The danger of not treating a UTI is the bacterial traveling from the bladder to the kidneys. Kidney infections can be extremely, extremely dangerous.

I hope you feel better soon. Take the antibiotic, wait for the results of the C&S (culture and sensitivity) and drink a lot of water. Make sure you take the entire course of antibiotics. :) Hugs, Annej (your friendly RN with a UTI)

My Intro
2000-Effexor and Klonopin
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
May 2011- Pristiq/Lexapro bridge/taper
June, 2011- K cut to 0.5 mg (doctor)
July 18, 2011 - Lexapro done
October 2011- K taper started
Jan, 2012- Off K, Remeron started -bad idea
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
May 2012- Reinstatement of K
Current Psych Meds: Klonopin 2 mg + Propanolol 15 mg and titrating up
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

P.S. I simply told the doc at urgent care that "my doctor told me not to take quinolones because of an interaction with benzos".

Seriously, the ER docs are so over-worked that they will take the path of least resistance and prescribe a different antibiotic. It's just not worth their time to argue over it - particularly since the culture & sensitivity report will take about 48 to 72 hours to grow out the bacteria and then find out which antibiotic the bacteria is most sensitive to.

If not allergic to sulfa, take the Bactrim (it's dirt-cheap) and is probably the most common go-to drug for a simple, uncomplicated UTI. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro
April 2011- C/T Adderall, lithium, Seroquel, Lunesta; Pristiq and Klonopin cut by 1/2 due to med-induced "rapid cycling"
March 2012- Horrific Tardive Akathisa/TD (Dx: TA versus withdrawal akathisia secondary to K w/d)
As of June 2013: TA gone or suppressed - struggling with tolerance to benzos - beta blocker helping

• Administrator

Right, there are definitely antibiotics other than Cipro for a UTI.

One can also be allergic to Cipro (I am).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

QUINOLONE VIGILANCE FOUNDATION

http://www.saferpills.org/?page_id=334

I was just browsing this..

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Thanks, I ended up leaving the ER with a Rx for ciprofloxacin. At the time I didn't know what to ask for. I have not taken the antibiotic yet. Maybe i will try to see a walk in clinic tomorrow and ask for Bactrim..Has anyone had a reaction to Bactrim? At the moment anything scares me. I am just barely stabilizing right now and I don't want to set myself back or do anymore damage. I am on a low dose benzo right now and holding till I stabilize more. What is it that antibiotics interact with benzos or hurt the CNS system? Thanks so much everyone for your input.

January 2012,, 25 mg Zoloft , March 2012, Remeron 7.5 to sleep and 1 mg Clonazepam.

September to October 2012 tapered Remeron 7.5 mg to 5 mg. December upped to .75 mg Clonazepam due to mothers passing of cancer.

January 2014 to March 2014 tapered off 5 mg Remeron Doing not to bad, not perfect but okay. Here is where I screw up May 2014 to October 2014 tapered Clonazepam from .75 mg to .25 mg. Rapidly worsening every week. January 2015 updosed Clonazepam to .5 mg. Big Mistake - Holding

Currently .25 mg  Clonazepam 11 pm at night (give or take an hour)  and .25 mg 9 am in the morning (give or take an hour)

Annie3,

Quinolones are very dangerous to ANYONE and used frivolously and without caution. They are extremely powerful LAST RESORT antibiotics but are used 1st line because they hit everything. A NO BRAINER.

They can cause irreversible CNS effects, nerve damage, tendonitis ++ . It's the "hidden ugly secret" of antibiotics similar to SS/NRIs still perceived as safe, no dependence, etc. Check out the link to Safer Pills about Quinolone Toxicity.

Please don't risk it. As Anniej said, a C & S should show what bacteria are present and appropriate drug chosen. Sulfa drugs are generally safe, effective, and cheap. (Bactrim/Septra). Augmentin may work (amoxicillin w clavulanic acid).

Thanks, I ended up leaving the ER with a Rx for ciprofloxacin. At the time I didn't know what to ask for. I have not taken the antibiotic yet. Maybe i will try to see a walk in clinic tomorrow and ask for Bactrim..Has anyone had a reaction to Bactrim? At the moment anything scares me. I am just barely stabilizing right now and I don't want to set myself back or do anymore damage. I am on a low dose benzo right now and holding till I stabilize more. What is it that antibiotics interact with benzos or hurt the CNS system? Thanks so much everyone for your input.

I am so sorry that I was unable to respond in time for you to get the info you needed.

I suggest you DO NOT take the Cipro due to being on benzos. For reasons that I do not understand, quinolones can cause benzo users to go into acute benzo withdrawal.

Do you have a GP? If so, call your GP (or whoever is on call- explain you went to the ER, diagnosed with a UTI, but was given an RX for Cipro and you realize you are "allergic" to it (don't give the benzo-quinolone story) and that you have had success with Bactrim in the past. Yes, this is "fibbery" at it's best. Prior to calling have the phone number of a 24 hour pharmacy at hand.

If you do not have a GP, then go with your idea of going to an urgent care first thing tomorrow morning. On the allergy section of the intake form, fill it in with whatever allergies to meds you may have and add "Cipro" ("causes hives"). This easily takes care of seeing the doc "raise his eyebrows".

I have taken Bactrim on several occasions prior to benzos, during benzos, and today during my recent reinstatement. I am going on 9 hours after the first dose and no problems whatsoever, as a matter of fact, my pain level is down from a "8" to a "2" - it's working already.

I hope that this gives you some ideas on how to manage this situation. You will do just fine. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

Thanks everyone so much! I will definitely use the fib :) of getting hives from ciprofloxacin and that Bactrim worked in the past. I was freaking out about what to say to the doc without him/ her raising their eyebrows at me. I am out of my province right now at my parents so I would have to see an on call doctor. Wish I could tolerate anything like I could in the past. :(

If I were in your shoes, I'd opt for a different Rx.

I took bactrim while in early withdrawal and while on 3 mg klonopin. (I also took levaquin and Cipro but recall those were before I restarted klonopin) I recall having strong thirst, but no other effects other than what I had already grown accustomed to in early withdrawal, sleep troubles for example. Of course, we are all different, but I was okay with bactrim.

I'd certainly drop into the clinic if I were you. Also, after the course, I highly recommend probiotic repopulation of gut...

- Zimmerman

If I were in your shoes, I'd opt for a different Rx.

I took bactrim while in early withdrawal and while on 3 mg klonopin. (I also took levaquin and Cipro but recall those were before I restarted klonopin) I recall having strong thirst, but no other effects other than what I had already grown accustomed to in early withdrawal, sleep troubles for example. Of course, we are all different, but I was okay with bactrim.

I'd certainly drop into the clinic if I were you. Also, after the course, I highly recommend probiotic repopulation of gut...

Bactrim it is then... Or some other antibiotic! I trust you guys more than the doctors.

I took Trimeprethim (probably spelt that wrong) and did have some side effects (bad wd) but I am allergic to most things, however after being given Cipro I thought I would die.

I believe it uses the same pathway in the liver and so it raises the concentration of the benzo in your blood stream, and so you go sky 'high' in the drug,not a good idea when you are trying to reduce. I think that is right because someone told me that.

I could take probiotics pre cipro no problem, and they helped, now I cant as they give severe head pain and rapid racing heart, so perhaps try a small dose first.

I believe salt is a natural bacterial killer so while I know it goes against common advice I use some of the Hymalayan salt on my food (have low bp not high, so I do this for now)

Stay away from ALL fruit for now as that exacerbated my pain and condition when I had a UTI, it travelled to my kidney and I ended up with blood in the sample not good. I also used heat to the area, again, I would not do this as I noticed the blood increasing after doing this. So I try not to be warm and to be honest I actually use ice packs now, which improve the pain I constantly have in that area.

Yes drink plenty, but make sure you replace those salts with veg (potassium and as I said maybe a little sea salt) read some of this stuff on Earth Clinic

Waterfall D Mannose is a herbal supplement, a natural sugar that clings to the bacteria and flushes them out. It is very effective, though for those of us in wd and with sensitivities I dont know how it would affect us, so I have never taken it.

Hope that helps. Avoid the cipro like the plague

Sept 2010 - Citalopram 1 day

Sept 2010 - Zopliclone for ten weeks (paranoia ended a couple of months after coming off this and sleep settled down again until the last couple of months)

Ocober 2010 - Cymbalta 30mg

November 2010 - Cymbalta 60mg

February 2011 - 60mg to 30 mg (lasted 10 days)reinstated 60mg

March 2011 - Took 2 60mg tablets on one evening in error - paralysis of face, back of head, shoulder, stabbing in right kidney, lost 30% of hearing)

March - June 2011 went down quickly 1mg a day until I got stuck at 25mg, went up to 27mg, because couldn't breath.

26th June - 26mg

3rd July - 25mg

17th July - 24mg

24th July - 23mg

7th Aug - began reducing by a bead every couple of days or so went well at first then hit a wall

24th October - now on 18.5mg. Since the kidney infection at start of September, have been in constant pain and anxiety, no let up. Given Ciprofloxacin.

8th Jan 2012 17.8mg (currently reducing 0.2mg a week)

8th Jan 2012 17.6mg last reduction was 6 days ago.

15th Jan 17.4mg

21st Jan 17.2mg

• Administrator

Annie, tell them you're sensitive to antibiotics, allergic to Cipro, and want the antibiotic with the least side effects!!! This is what I do, since I'm all the above. They should know all the alternatives for a UTI. You don't need to ask for a specific one.

Exactly!

Please remember it is the QUINOLONE CLASS that carries these risks. Cipro (ciprofloxacin) is the oldest and most common, but all carry same black box warning. Several have been removed from the market due to toxicity, but some remain:

1. ciprofloxacin (Cipro)

2. levofloxacin (Cravit, Levaquin) - Currently involved in MDL litigation in the United States due to unacceptable safety profile - AVAILABLE and USED!

3. moxifloxacin (Avelox) - RESTRICTED USE

4. norfloxacin (Noroxin, Janacin)

5. ofloxacin (Floxin)

They are still in development despite the dangers.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinolone#section_11

× removed from market due to toxicity/adverse events

* restricted use or litigation

~I'm uncertain which are available outside the United States

× FIRST GENERATION - removed from clinical use

SECOND GENERATION

- ciprofloxacin (Zoxan, Ciprobay, Cipro, Ciproxin)

× enoxacin (Enroxil, Penetrex) [110] (removed from clinical use)

× fleroxacin (Megalone, Roquinol) (removed from clinical use)

× lomefloxacin (Maxaquin) [110] (discontinued in the United States)

- nadifloxacin (Acuatim, Nadoxin, Nadixa) (currently unavailable in the United States)

*norfloxacin (Lexinor, Noroxin, Quinabic, Janacin) (restricted use)

- ofloxacin (Floxin, Oxaldin, Tarivid)

- pefloxacin (Peflacine) (currently unavailable in the United States)

- rufloxacin (Uroflox) (currently unavailable in the United States)

THIRD GENERATION

- balofloxacin (Baloxin) (currently unavailable in the United States)

× grepafloxacin (Raxar) (removed from clinical use)

•* levofloxacin (Cravit, Levaquin) Currently involved in MDL litigation in the United States due to unacceptable safety profile - AVAILABLE and USED!

- pazufloxacin (Pasil, Pazucross) (currently unavailable in the United States)

- sparfloxacin (Zagam) [110] (currently unavailable in the United States)

× temafloxacin (Omniflox) (removed from clinical use)

- tosufloxacin (Ozex, Tosacin) (currently unavailable in the United States)

FOURTH GENERATION

- clinafloxacin (currently unavailable in the United States)

× gatifloxacin (Zigat, Tequin) (Zymar -opth.) (Tequin removed from clinical use)

**moxifloxacin (Avelox,Vigamox) [ restricted use).

- sitafloxacin (Gracevit) (currently unavailable in the United States)

× trovafloxacin (Trovan) (removed from clinical use)

prulifloxacin (Quisnon) (currently unavailable in the United States)

In development

× garenoxacin (Geninax)(application withdrawn due to toxicity)

- delafloxacin

Hi Annie,

Please let us know how you are doing.

I am now into second day of the antibiotic and all pain and discomfort have vanished. Thank Goodness! It appears that the bacteria responsible for my UTI are responsive to the sulfa. I must remind myself to continue taking the entire course of antibiotics (7 days - 1 pill twice daily), even though I feel good (and know better).

Hope you got everything straightened out. :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

I have an appointment in an hour. I am glad you are feeling better anjje. It seems some people react to Bactrim and some don't. I have been getting bad head pressure from even Tylenol lately so I might have to ride out that on whatever other antibiotic I can get, but these quinolones sound downright toxic! I was given IV antibiotics in February for surgery and seemed fine. I will keep everyone updated and thank you for all your input..

I have an appointment in an hour. I am glad you are feeling better anjje. It seems some people react to Bactrim and some don't. I have been getting bad head pressure from even Tylenol lately so I might have to ride out that on whatever other antibiotic I can get, but these quinolones sound downright toxic! I was given IV antibiotics in February for surgery and seemed fine. I will keep everyone updated and thank you for all your input..

Annie,

I was posting at same time. Look at the list above. There are more QUINOLONE ANTIBIOTICS that have been removed from market due to toxicity than are remaining. That was eye-opening!

Quinolones generic/chemical names end in "-OXACIN"

Waterfall D Mannose is a herbal supplement, a natural sugar that clings to the bacteria and flushes them out. It is very effective, though for those of us in wd and with sensitivities I dont know how it would affect us, so I have never taken it.

I first discovered D-Mannose precisely because of my extreme increase in sensitivities/bad reactions to apparently all meds and even most supplements (including those I previously tolerated fine) post-w/d.

It's a godsend and actually works faster and more effectively than antibiotics in my experience, as well as a family member I suggested it to (who also has chemical sensitivities) - if the bacteria is one of the 95% of bacteria that D-Mannose works on. And if used properly.

When I first read annej's post below, I was hesitant to suggest D-Mannose even though I now use D-Mannose not only because of my sensitivities, but because after using it I no longer get the frequent recurrences that used to be the case with me with UTIs in the past.

It is NOT advisable to try and self-treat what you describe as being a very painful bladder infection with home treatments. Cranberry juice may acidify your urine, but it will not kill bacteria.

The danger of not treating a UTI is the bacterial traveling from the bladder to the kidneys. Kidney infections can be extremely, extremely dangerous.

I want to assure annej and anyone else concerned, that I completely share their concerns about treating UTIs properly - the risk she mentions is of the utmost importance. I cannot overemphasize the importance of getting a urine culture prior to using any treatment (convention or alternative treatment) and - this is very important! - after treatment of the UTI. Regardless of whether you feel better and regardless of method of treatment! (I have known too many people who don't bother - or try to save money - by not getting a follow-up test to make sure the infection is gone, not just having relief of symptoms.

Your doctor can tell you when you at what interval to have the follow-up urinalysis after any kind of treatment of a UTI.

I would never take a quinolone while taking a benzo (which I do), but even if I can go off benzos, I would not take one if there were any other possible alternative (a urine culture and sensitivity [C&S] should show a list of which antibiotics would be effective on the bacteria causing the infection). I have read of too many people who had no idea floxins affected the body's utilization of benzos and were stunned to find themselves plunged into effective cold-turkey w/d. But I've also corresponded with people who had severe and in at least one case apparently permanent adverse reaction to a floxin and were not even on benzos.

If you want to try D-Mannose, my suggestion would be to get a non-quinolone prescription from your doctor but hold off on filling it until you've tried the D-Mannose for a day or two. If you don't have at least a noticeable improvement in the infection within 24-48 hours (most likely within about 24 hours), it probably won't work on the infection you have, in which case you evidently would need to get that Rx filled.

D-Mannose needs to be taken in frequent doses, preferably on an empty stomach before meals (with a little water - about 1-3 ounces). It has a mild sweet taste, and you can mix it into the water or swallow the powder, but if the latter be sure to drink the 1-3 ounces of water immediately so it's dissolved before going into your bladder. (Not too much water - that might dilute it too much.)

The instructions I read are a little different than what appears on most packages, but worked on even an extremely severe and painful UTI - I was urinating bright red blood, worse than any UTI I ever had before. I take at least 8 grams of powder total per day, in divided doses every 2-3 hours when awake, then gradually decrease it once symptoms are gone to make sure any stray bacteria are eliminated from the bladder.

I stress "powder" because capsules will not give you sufficient amounts or would cost far too much, and (just speculative) I'm concerned that capsules might not dissolve in time to be diluted enough to work optimally.

Also important - don't get the kind with additives like cranberry. For the same reason I don't recommend using cranberry juice or extracts for UTIs. Those can work sometimes, but often (especially after using too many times) can actually irritate the bladder with their acidity.

(Cranberry used to be recommended precisely on the theory that by acidifying the urine and thereby killing the bacteria. This does not seem to be the case - if it were, I'd think everyone who drinks orange juice or lemonade would be UTI-free. Not! Cranberry probably helps sometimes because of the D-Mannose in cranberry [the supplement D-Mannose is derived from cranberries or sometimes from other fruits]). But the acid in cranberry can work against those healing properties, and also doesn't contain enough D-Mannose to ensure completely eradicating the infection.)

I've never used the Waterfall brand though I've heard of it. The brand I've always used is called Progressive Laboratories and their products' quality is excellent (not all supplements contain the potency on the label - that applies to many supplements, not just D-Mannonse). My relative who's also had success with D-Mannose (also proven by follow-up urinalyses by her doctor) used NOW brand.

I've had no side effects even when I was in acute w/d, from using D-Mannose. The only problem I occasionally might have - not sure because it tends to be a problem with me anyway - is brief loose stools. Most of the D-Mannose is eliminated through the urinary tract, of course, but apparently at least when taking large doses some might get into the bowel also. That won't cause any harm, just a slight annoyance, and something I get from most foods anyway (possibly because of long-term benzo use). To me that occasional slight side-effect is worth it because I no longer get the recurrences of the UTI a month or two later (often multiple times) like I used to when using antibiotics for them, as well as for the fact that D-Mannose actually works faster - and no medication side or adverse effects.

(For the record, I do NOT work for any manufacturers of supplements or anything like that. Just was so glad I found this treatment - but also want people to know it must be used properly and followed up with a urinalysis - same as when using an antibiotic.)

I hope you feel better soon!

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Hi Brandy,

Thank you for this most interesting and informative post about D-Mannose. This is something I will definitely try in the future. You said to continue taking it until symptoms are gone - how many days would you recommend that someone take it?

I also really appreciate the recommendation to get a repeat U/A. I have never done this before, but it makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you again for this information! :) Hugs, Annej

My Intro

I can't give you an exact number of days about how long to take it.

It doesn't kill germs like antibiotics (and even with antibiotics, people sometimes need them longer than the usual course).

It works by coating the bacteria so they can't adhere to the bladder wall, so they basically just slide out of the body through the urine, essentially.

You shouldn't need to take it very long, and I take decreasing doses longer than is generally advised, simply because I know that UTIs can be so tricky because the bladder has many crevices and folds where urine can "hide." But if you don't feel an impovement in a day or two, and absence of any remaining symptoms quite soon after that, it probably doesn't work for you and other treatment would be necessary.

As for the follow-up urinalyses, I feel doctors should always tell patients to do this, even if they use potent antibiotics. So important to make sure the infection is completely gone - and also the possiblity of getting secondary infections when weakened by an infection (or of the infection being treated masking a secondary infection). Unless there are other factors, I don't think a follow-up office visit should be necessary (if people are concerned about the expense, which is a real concern for many people). My doctor faxes the requisition to the lab.

btw, you can start taking D-Mannose as soon as you've given the urine sample to the lab, according to my doctor (integrative medicine M.D.). Important to have the initial sample taken for testing before taking the D-Mannose to know what organism it is (probably wouldn't be able to tell if you already started taking the mannose). But I'm usually better by the time I find out what I had! I can't remember the exact interval but I think my doctor has me wait at least a week before doing the follow-up urinalysis, just to make sure.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

Ah, I get it! Very interesting. I am going to look up Progressive Labs and see what the cost is. Thank you again. :) Annej

My Intro

I had never gotten the follow up either.

My elderly aunt had a few UTIs last year. She was already very frail with advanced dementia. For years, she asked the same questions over and over every few minutes. "Who are you? Where do you live?" Always very pleasant, but could not retain any new info.

She was given Levaquin, I believe. Her dementia transitioned to a psychotic mania - permanently. She lived with my SAINT of a cousin. After the quinolone and UTI, she saw guests at the condo, held lengthy conversations with them and even insisted that my cousin serve them beverages. My cousin went thru quite a few beers for the "guests". My aunt tried to leave with a few "guests" and had "sex" with them. I knew of quinolone effects on the CNS, but that was the first I witnessed. No benzos were involved. Frail elderly are susceptible to quinolone damage.

I also saw my mother go from mild dementia to delirium with a UTI. Very common in elderly. A doctor told my cousin that UTIs are much less painful (not noticeable) as women age. I believe she said it was due to estrogen loss. I don't know if that's true, but wanted to mention it, just FYI. Abrupt onset delirium/confusion in elderly is often caused by a UTI.

Thanks, Brandy, for great info!

I usually buy mine from a local "homeopathic" pharmacy (most health food stores don't seem to carry D-mannose for some reason, though some do carry at least the NOW brand). But lately I've been ordering from online sellers - usually Amazon.

Swanson's (online) carries the U-Tract (and other brands). Their price is very fair (Progressive Laboratories is excellent quality, but not inexpensive), but some Amazon sellers charge less (be sure to take into account shipping charges from outside sellers on Amazon).

Swanson's has a flat-fee shipping charge, so I usually order from them when I need a number of items. (With some supplements their prices are lower than anyone else's, but not always, so shop around.) One thing I love about Swanson's is that you can return anything - even if you've tried a little of it - for a full year with their unconditional guarantee. They make it very easy - there's a pre-paid shipping label on the back of the invoice, which is very cool. I only had to use that once, when I had bought a big supply of vitamins for a very sick cat who could barely eat. I stocked up because the kind I felt was best/safest was hard to find and I didn't want to run out. When she finally had to have surgery, and recovered from that, she recovered her appetite too (!) and I felt she was getting sufficient nutrients from her very healthy (and grain-free) food, but realized I still had an unopened bottle of the vitamins in addiction to the almost -used-up bottle. Swanson's was kind enough to tell me I could return it at no charge and get a refund, even though it was part of an order with multiple bottles as well as other items that I'd gotten months before.

So if I'm trying something that might not work out, I try to order from them. But U-Tract I now order on Amazon because I've learned to always keep a jar on hand - when I need it, I want to start taking it as soon as I get to the lab and give that urine sample.

I had never gotten the follow up either.

My elderly aunt had a few UTIs last year. She was already very frail with advanced dementia. For years, she asked the same questions over and over every few minutes. "Who are you? Where do you live?" Always very pleasant, but could not retain any new info.

She was given Levaquin, I believe. Her dementia transitioned to a psychotic mania - permanently. She lived with my SAINT of a cousin. After the quinolone and UTI, she saw guests at the condo, held lengthy conversations with them and even insisted that my cousin serve them beverages. My cousin went thru quite a few beers for the "guests". My aunt tried to leave with a few "guests" and had "sex" with them. I knew of quinolone effects on the CNS, but that was the first I witnessed. No benzos were involved. Frail elderly are susceptible to quinolone damage.

I also saw my mother go from mild dementia to delirium with a UTI. Very common in elderly. A doctor told my cousin that UTIs are much less painful (not noticeable) as women age. I believe she said it was due to estrogen loss. I don't know if that's true, but wanted to mention it, just FYI. Abrupt onset delirium/confusion in elderly is often caused by a UTI.

Thanks, Brandy, for great info!

Thank YOU for that very valuable information about the elderly. (And I'm officially now a "senior citizen" - don't think of myself as one, but increasingly aware that's a consideration with meds! And evidently with UTIs also - thank you so much for relating this.)

I'm so terribly sorry about what happened to your aunt. I'm less anti-med than most people on forums (well, somewhat less, lol), but it's so true that psychotropic meds aren't the only ones that can cause serious problems. In fact, some of the meds I took earlier in my life later have since been pulled off the market because they found out how dangerous they were.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy