SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

divalee: 24 months off Zoloft

divalee

• Administrator

No one can recognize you with your current screen name unless you've told them what it is.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• divalee

• apace41

• AliG

• direstraits

Top Posters In This Topic

ClearDay

I completely agree with you.....

On a ClearDay

Rise and look around you

And you'll see who you are

On a ClearDay

How it will astound you

That the glow of your being

Outshines every Star

xxxxx 

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

thanks for your poem -

hope you get a window soon -

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

Alto Strata

I private messaged you on facebook private message  that is the only place I know how to get in contact with you

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

I just wrote Alto Strata a message here but it didn't come through

I just wanted to say I sent you two private messages on face book because that is the only place I know how to get in touch with you. 

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Alto Strata

I have been trying to put this on the board here but it keeps refusing.  

I sent you two messages on your private messages on face book cause I don't know how otherwise to get in touch with you

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

I am no longer on the list - cant find my post xxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Oh I understand now - I have to get use to how stuff is done lol.....just click on page 2 lol.. obtuse I am.

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• Administrator

divalee, read this: How much should I post about myself?

If you look around the Introductions topics, you will see that I am very, very busy.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Oh I am sorry Alto Strata - it is only because yo asked me to contact you to change my user name....I wont ask again.  I am sorry I didn't know....

xxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• Administrator

Thanks for understanding.

Hello its me again.  I am beginning to think that maybe this is not withdrawals -  I have not had a window in months - and this torture day after day is unbearable.  I don't know what to think any more -  night sweats, waking up with high anxiety and crying, distorted vision, tight band across my head, pins and needs face especially rt side with pressure bridge of nose as if someone punched me in the face, depression, crying most of the day- and I am 25 months off Zoloft.  I don't know what to believe any more.

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong place - should I have started a new topic. 

Thank you for listening

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

How fast did you taper divalee?

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

on December 3, 2011 my GP and I decided I should go off Zoloft which I was on for 8 years at 150 mgs per day.  Zoloft here only comes in capsule form - 25, 50 and 100 mgs.  So when I was tapering I had to go down 25mgs at a time.  Albeit I stayed on 25mgs for 4 months, then dropped again 25 mgs for another four months a so on.  I was off completely May 17, 2013.  the taper went quite well.  At first it was more physical symptoms like pain in my legs, indigestion, nausea, dizziness, headaches, and mostly all the above but they were mild - and could cope with it. 

The leg pain, indigestion, nausea have all gone.  From neck down, I am perfect.  It is the lightheadedness, now visual disturbances, distortion, very high anxiety, crying, sweating at night, mornings are the worse for me....pressure in face as if someone just punched me...band around my head -migraines or silent migraines daily... almost panic attacks but not quite, weight loss - from 121 pounds to now 107 - I do eat well and sleep well only waking up with sweats but go right back to sleep, feelings of hopelessness and wish the world would stop and left me off. 

I feel I have lost all my friends - I have not, it is I that keeps away, I am isolating myself.  I do go out though no matter how I feel, I do my housework, go grocery shopping, to the bank, everything we all do every day - but the effort is unbelievable - but I do it...no matter what.  After each trip doing something, I get in my car and cry - but I go on to the next thing to do.  No one knows at all.  I hide it very well. And the ones that do know I have learned not to talk about it - because people mean well but they don't really care or want to hear about your sufferings.  So I never talk about it.

It is hell on this earth, it really is....I have faced adversity all my life - because I somehow knew that we have to face a loss of a loved one, loss of a job, divorce, those are life issues we all must face - there is no fast fix  - as so many of us think   -  Doctors push this medication on us too freely.  So I never took anything facing my life .  But when my child was diagnosed with Leukemia, I forgot all about what I believed in and took the Zoloft.  Then the doctor just kept giving it to me and it was 8 years before deciding to go off it.

So here I am 25 months off - in the beginning they were not so bad - but starting around the 8 or 9th month off - the symptoms got worse and worse - a few windows, but not many....now since 18 months off I have had no windows and am literally In hell with the symptoms way out of control.  Depression has now set it too.

I have read in other forms that at this stage of the game it can get worse before it gets better - but when you have this day after day with no let up - one wonders....

No suicidal ideation - just wish sometimes though, that is all.

Thank you for listening...xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Hi diva, I just read thought you thread briefly. I am suffering with all the same symptoms as you, except I can't sleep and have had insomnia for close to 3 years. Never ever had problems with my sleep. Please if you can read my thread. I was on celexa for 10 years and was c/t'd back in November of 2011 by my obgyn during my pregnancy. Withdrawal hit me very hard 9 months off, one month after giving birth. I went on a drug merry go round for 21 months. I'm currently 13 months of my last ingested a/d and 3 1/2 years post c/t. I'm in hell everyday and have 3 kids that need their mom back. You are not alone. I too question if my suffering is not all w/d related. I've been having thyroid, adrenal and reproductive hormone problems, I'm very sensitive to all medications and supplements and developing more sensitivities to foods. I don't post much, because it's the same everyday for me and I'm just done.

I wish you healing and peace.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

Skylar thank you so much for answering me.  How do I read your thread - oh you mean what you write underneath your post - is that what you mean?  Oh wow I have just read it - you have been to hell and back dear Sky -  so you are off all drugs since Jan 2013 and then January 2014 you took Lexapro - are you still on it or now off completely.  I am truly sorry.

I am sorry you are suffering as well - we only understand when walking in the shoes of someone else who is going through this.  I know what you mean about not posting much when it is the same old same old....but you did come to answer me - which is a wonderful, thoughtful thing to do.  Sometimes we are so sick we don't think of the other person who needs answers as well.

I will try to help other people too.  Did you have visual disturbances too.  this is one of my biggest symtoms. 

Thank you for answering me

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• Administrator

Altostrata

My blood tests for minerals, B12, and everything else on the list - came back perfectly normal. 

Do you suggest I take magnesium even though my magnesium level is perfect? 

Thank you

xx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• Moderator Emeritus

Taking extra magnesium can provide a physical calming effect, this can be helpful when dealing with some kinds of withdrawal symptoms. Read through the magnesium topic which Alto posted, and then decide if its something you would like to try. There is very little risk from taking too much because the body excretes what it doesn't use.

I personally take magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate.  I've been in protracted withdrawal for a while, I know how difficult it is to keep going sometimes, especially when you don't know how much longer its going to last.

Everything you have written sounds pretty normal for withdrawal.  Have you seen:  What is withdrawal syndrome?

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petunia for this -  I will try Magnesium

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Hello its me again. I am beginning to think that maybe this is not withdrawals - I have not had a window in months - and this torture day after day is unbearable. I don't know what to think any more - night sweats, waking up with high anxiety and crying, distorted vision, tight band across my head, pins and needs face especially rt side with pressure bridge of nose as if someone punched me in the face, depression, crying most of the day- and I am 25 months off Zoloft. I don't know what to believe any more.

I am sorry if this post is in the wrong place - should I have started a new topic.

Thank you for listening

xxxxx

Thank you Mikey - Helps me a lot knowing that others have similar symptoms - cause when one is alone in their thoughts and these symptoms persist day after day, one begins to wonder -  It is so difficult .  How are you doing.

This place makes me feel that I am not walking alone -  How are you doing Mikey xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Not very well at all Divalee , i stii cant get round the fact that i was fine for the first year and then the odd symtom appeared but wasnt much untill about 18 months after and then two years after i feel awful from then hardly a window at all , tbh i find it hard to beleive its WD but all the symtoms seem to be there , takecare Divalee thinking of you

May I ask what your symptoms are - we seem to be in the same boat....mine are headaches , band around head, lightheadedness, pins and needs in my face, corner of mouth  and pressure bridge of nose as if someone has punched me -  distorted vision in one eye....anxiety all the time worse in morning, cry most of the day....thinking this will never go away

They say to do stuff anyway and believe me I do no matter how I feel -  I don't know how I do it - e.g.  every Saturday I take an elderly lady who is 94 and has macular degeneration, shopping for her groceries, and where else she has to go.  Believe me Mikey....what I go through is hell on this earth- yet she has no clue...I hid it.  But when I get in my car to come home I just cry all the way home...

I face my fears - but that doesn't seem to work -  strangely enough the anxiety subsides when night time comes - I stop crying - and feel someone of a relief  only for the next day it starts all over again.

So look - I am doing it - and so can you and so can all of us - we must -  there is no other option -  we will get through it one day...it will happen - we all have to believe that  ....

As Churchill said - when walking through hell - keep walking, just keep walking.

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the Rainbow

So can  ....you....and....I.........

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Divalee my symptoms are left sided headache with pressure around ear and a strange feeling around the eye with aches in arm and one leg and a palpitation internal vibrating feeling inside me that i have had for months 24 7 along with feeling of panic sometimes anger and moods that can change from 1 hour to the next i also get a numbness feeling in my arm and ofter a unusual feeling on my face by my mouth like something is crawling on me , takecare i'm thinking of you

Mikey

You and I have similar symptoms - goes to show then that these are WDs -  same happened to me.  I was fairly well tapering and even when I was off completely - but then after a year or so off things just got worse and worse - just like you.  Hold on - and I will too.  There are days when I think it is the end of the world for me  - but I am still here and am still looking fear in the face.

Today I took the elderly lady out for her groceries -  I looked at my front door and said - Please let me do this - and I did.  She never knew a thing - it was very difficult but I did it.....fear is not going to win.   To be honest, when I got in my car to finally come home - I just cried - I was strong for too long is all....nothing to be ashamed of. 

So stay strong - and I will too

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Divalee, I think you are wonderful helping that sweet lady in the midst of feeling so poorly. God is saving you a special place in Heaven. Love, Pug.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Aww Pug, don't make me cry, what a wonderful thing to say- How are yu doing....are you doing okay, please let me know

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

I'm in month 9 of CT hell. Never had a window. Am considering letting my GP put me on an SSRI, but everyone here is suffering so much I just can't pull that trigger yet.

I'm alone in all this and frightened. I love all you people so much. You are all I have. God bless you.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Dear Pug

You are not alone any more, you have us -  Hang in there with us and think twice about taking any SSRI - It may help at first but I think it only brings us down the path of no return.  Stay with us and just read, read and read -  Moderators have put many links up here for us to read.

I am worried about my friend in England now.  Doctor put her on Gabapentin for sciatica pain - I do hope when she tried to go off it there will be no side effects.  Was it the Gabapentin that you stopped CT giving you all these problems?

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Yes, Gabapentin got me here.

Im so sorry you are suffering.

No need to wonder if its withdrawal, i am 3 years off and experiencing all your symptoms plus loads more. I have severe visual distortions. Pm me if you like.

Was on Citalopram 20mg since Feb 2008 - switched to Paxil 20mg in August 2010

Tapered way too fast in April 2012 by skipping days. Taper completed in 6 weeks

Tried prozac 20mg for 3 days - felt spaced out, not better.

Tried 30mg Cymbalta for 2 days. SEVERE ADVERSE REACTION

Antidepressant free since 14 August 2012

Birth control on and off during this time - Last taken 18 June 2017 - Morning after pill 

Started mainly using 0.5mg Xanax beginning 2016 for severe panic attacks and anxiety due to trauma

Xanax on and off never more than 0.5mg at a time, never taking it 3 days in a row - used sparingly 

6 Years antidepressant free - Still in severe withdrawal with over 60 symptoms

Severe setback started May 2018 with no let up to date. Developed many new symptoms like tremors, inner vibrations, insomnia, visual distortions and dr/dp are 100x worse, i have severe sensitivity to movement, My dizziness and vertigo got worse and it now feels like im constantly rocking on a boat, my anxiety is sky high, suicidal idiation is back, i feel extremely brain damaged 

Hello Mikey

Thank you for asking, and even thinking about me.   I am suffering so much, truly.  It is hell upon this earth, but you know what - I do everything  I have to do - cause I found out - no matter how badly I feel - I am still here - nothing has happened to me.  so with all this suffering I just get on with it - albeit crying most of the day - and I think also that the computer on to itself has helped me a great deal.  I sit here for a long time searching and joining groups other than withdrawals to try to keep my mind off it.

It is such a wonderful feeling knowing that I have this group to come too - to get some reassurance and to try to help other people as well.  I am walking in your shoes and you are  walking in mine - I know your suffering - as you know mine.....so we can help each other through this - we must.....Look fear straight in the face - stare at it - and soon it will back off - every time we make it through another day - we have weakened this fear....

Please tell me how you are doing.....

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013