divalee: 24 months off Zoloft

divalee

AmyK, thank you so much - and any suffering or loss you may have had - I am sorry for your suffering too.

xxxxx

Zoloft started for 8 years - 150 mg capsules

Started tapering December 3, 2011,

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

While tapering WDS were tolerable

Off Zoloft debilitating WDS the worst starting around 6 months off

even worse after 18 months off

Now 35 months off - still in a terrible wave for months now.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• divalee

• apace41

• AliG

• direstraits

Top Posters In This Topic

PugKnows

Wow that is a lot of weight.  I hope you feel much better though after that.

Thank you for your encouraging words that I might just be on my way to healing towards the 3 year mark.  Makes me want to cry the suffering is beyond comprehension. xxxxx

I wish you healing the rest of your journey through this dark and miserable road we are on.

Thank you

xxxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Lee,

I have tears in my eyes after reading your kind words on my thread. You are so close to healing, my sweet friend. This is your year. 2015. Next year you will be going through the "refining" stage of your healing, tidying up the "loose ends" of your symptoms, gluing together the last of the delicate broken vases of your brain until the cracks are all dissolved and you have a brand new brain to cherish with which you will see the world in a whole new light.

I like to "justify" why God is putting me through this by telling myself that most of His children don't get the opportunity to appreciate His glory in their lifetime because they move too fast, scurrying from one unimportant point to the next, never pausing to soak in the wonder of God's grace and His compassion and His mercy all around them.

He hand-picked us for this journey to give us the gift of real sight. Seeing and experiencing God in everything with a beautiful new brain, rebuilt by Him. If you weren't spiritual before all this happened, this journey through hell has to make you a believer!

Keep telling yourself this during the toughest most despairing of times, Lee. Everything and everyone has a purpose. The more you suffer, the greater the reward will be.

I love you dearly. You are truly my friend in this. I will not leave you behind. I will stay right here next to you until we, and all our fellow warriors, are on the other side.

Love, Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Aww Pug what a beautiful post to me  -  I knew you were special - I felt it.  I am a very spiritual person - and I understand exactly what you are saying.  But geez Pug - the suffering is so much sometimes -  that is why we need the love of you, the encouragement of you, the hope of you - that you bring to this board.

Yes please do not leave me, nor I you and the members here....

If happy little bluebirds fly

Beyond the rainbow

So can      you........and.......I

Love Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Over the rainbow .... my favorite song.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Love you Lee.

Stay strong & be patient & positive, Lee. 

I already know that you are. You & Pug K are a  "force". !!

Be kind & gentle , to yourself & keep going !!

You will make it.  :)   Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

PugKnows    Love you too Pug.

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

AliG    Yes trying very hard to be positive -  being here with all of you helps a great deal

I hope you are doing well..

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Struggling, tonight.  Thank you .

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Hello everyone

Today was the worst day I have had concerning anxiety .  It just hit the roof.  What I am worried about is this.   This anxiety has made my blood pressure go sky high.  It fluctuates -  and even can go down to normal.  Mostly though it systolic is high but never the diastolic. 

I have so many side effects from withdrawal from Zoloft even though off 2.3, almost 2.4 years.   Now I am petrified of taking any sort of medication.  Doctor prescribed a high blood pressure pill Candesartan 16mgs. but I just take half that.  I have been taking it for four days and I am so afraid of side effects from that.

I suffer with distorted vision and blurred vision due to withdrawals.  I am so afraid this medication will make it worse....

I want to stop taking it because I think my anxiety is worse because I am worrying too much about this stuff....

I don't have high blood pressure, never did...but now it is high due to very severe anxiety.  I am rambling today....cause I am so frightened I don't know what to do...

I see my doctor on the 10th and I was thinking maybe stop this until I see him then.  It is only four days I am taking it.

My God these side effects from withdrawal seem to be getting worse, not better...there doesn't seem to be much hope for me...

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

I forgot to mention the pharmacist did not help she doesn't believe in protracted (long term) side effects from SSRIs    my endocrinologist does.....but when you here a pharmacist or doctor say they don't believe it .....it makes you feel that you will be like this for the rest of your life - because what can it be then....

xxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Approaching year three divalee..think a lot of healing will happen :)

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Lee, most of us are so paranoid about taking ANY meds after what we've been going through.

Do you take your blood pressure throughout the day at home? Blood pressure spikes are very common during withdrawal, probably due to anxiety. If your BP is dangerously high and stays high, I would take the BP med. If it fluctuates between normal and a little above normal, you could wait until your next doctor visit.

My BP has always been on the low normal side my whole life, like 117/72. During this withdrawal, it's higher. Usually 135/80+. I was just at the doctor yesterday, and my BP was 145/85 and my heart rate was 107. The doctor wasn't the least bit concerned. I was, but then who am I to question the doctor? Ha!

Even my high readings are not high enough to put me on BP meds. How high is your blood pressure? Is it consistently high or normal with high spikes?

I totally get how this is just adding to your anxiety. Try not to let it worry you. I know. Easier said than done.

Hang in there, sweetheart. Love, Pug

LoveandLight

Thank you  just those few words is all I needed.....luv, Lee

xxxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Hello Pug

the systolic higher reading would go up as far as 175 but the diastolic would be either in the 80s or 70s....always okay  But the Systolic was pretty much high...but then it would go back to normal, but not as much as it should have.

I will see what he says on the 10th.   Lately my anxiety seems to be worse than ever, and my vision is blurred and distorted from WDs I sure hope that goes away.

Thank you Pug you are a precious shining gem in the darkness.

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Love you, Lee.

The anxiety is the worst of all the symptoms. It's the cause of the other ones too!

We're going to get beyond this, Lee, and when we do, let's treat ourselves to a week's vacation somewhere peaceful where we can walk to local restaurants, have a glass of wine and toast our new healthy selves!

You're going to accelerate like a healing rocket in the next few months. This will all be behind you. You'll never even remember the suffering, just that it was some kind of weird hell you went through for awhile.

I have faith, Lee. I feel the healing in you and in me. We are stronger than any of the pills we took. That's over now. We are taking back the steering wheel of our lives. Just a little more time.

Pug hugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Divalee,

Just reading through your thread and noticing the anxiety that affects you, so wanted to quickly share because I get horrid anxiety too.

My best remedy is to have a hot bath with epsom salts.  Hot as you can, it is so soothing.  Plus the epsom salts actually decrease blood pressure a little, so another good reason for a nice soak.

Also, listening to music is a good way to try to get out of an anxious cycle of thoughts.  I use music during the night if I wake up with anxiety.

You are not alone in this,

Hugs

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Lee,

I agree with Karen. I think  the epsom salt bath is "the best".  I also think music is so good for the "soul", but it can also be very relaxing. I know you love music, so  I hope you already use  it as an aid in your recovery.   I don't know if you've tried "meditation" or "qi gong" . There are many here, who find it helpful. However , if you can't commit to that, simple "deep breathing" helps.

Another thought is Magnesium Citrate, dissolved in water.  Drink , during the day or whenever needed.   I have been using it at night , as a "sleep aid", and it is helping. Magnesium  rocks !!  LOL .

I hope you find an answer. I understand about not wanting to go on the drugs ( blood pressure). I haven't researched those , as I've never had the problem, but I'm sure they're just like the rest, with their "inherant"  side effects, &  associated problems. 

Ali. :)

Dear Pug

What strength you send and give me...and hope.   Yes we will do this together, we will help each other, all of us.  I only took this blood pressure pill for 5 days, I think I will stop taking it til I see my doctor on the 10th .

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Just another thought. Yoga would be great for you , too.

Karen

Yes I will take your advice and try the Epsom Salt bath.  I heard that it is very good for you.

Karen I am a musician -  I sing at weddings, and parties -  I cant do it now though, cant do anything much now....I play piano and guitar....listen to Andre Rieu, he inspires me.

My soul is music and music is my soul.   When one is artistic - it seems it is even harder - 

Thank you so much - I hope you are doing okay.....

Love

Lee

When the dog bites

When he Bee Stings

When Im feeling sad

I simply remember my favourite things

And then I don't .....feel....so......bad

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

AliG

Yes I will do the Epsom Salts.  I have stopped taking the blood pressure pill til I see my doctor on the 10th September...

Thank you for your support and hope....Where else do people understand what we are going through but here.....

Stay well and I wish you...enough

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Thanks Lee. :)

Hello Everyone

It has been so hot here 40C  around 106F  for the past few days.  We had a reprieve from it for a week but now it is back.  It is suppose to start getting cooler end of week.  I sure hope so.

I think I read somewhere that some of us feel worse when it is very hot .  I know I do. 

I just wanted to ask if any one has  night sweats.  Mine or so bad.  The sheets are soaking and so am I  it is horrible...at least 3 times during the night and early morning.  I read that it is the withdrawal from Zoloft that is doing this.  But it has been going on for months now and I am starting to worry it could be something else although all my tests came back all normal.

Also this visual distortion and blurriness ....and a feeling of  >not being here<  is that DP.....day after day after day  with my head pressure and pins and needles -  blocked ears.....light headedness.

It is so strange because when I was  tapering I felt fine - no depression, no anxiety. I did have the symptoms I do now but very minimal. 

I went off Zoloft May 17, 2013  and for a good 4- 5 months again I had symptoms but not severe.  Then after that they started to get worse and worse.  I had very few windows.....Now starting around the 17th month off they really got bad, no windows, just suffering day after day.

I am off now on September 17, 2015  2 years and 4 months and no let up.  I am starting to wonder if it will ever go away.

So getting back to the Sweating and Visual distortion and blurriness....has someone here gone through this. 

Just losing a bit of hope is all.

Thank you for listening  xxxx love this place

Love

Lee (f)

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• Moderator Emeritus

It has been so hot here 40C  around 106F  for the past few days.  We had a reprieve from it for a week but now it is back.  It is suppose to start getting cooler end of week.  I sure hope so.

Hey Lee... how did it come you guys are so hot.  It got to 95 here (Burlington) yesterday, but no hotter... I always figure you folks are 5 to 10 degrees cooler than we are here... Not!   :blink:

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Skylar  it isn't usually this hot....usually about the same as you..but this year it has been terrible

xxx

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Hi diva, to answer your questions about the horrible drenching night sweats, I have had them since jan 2013, they eased up slightly for awhile, now their back with a vengeance. I'll be turning 40 in November so I think hormones are playing some what into this. I have everything you describe, and more and it's been nonstop for 3 years now, the only a/d I was on for 10 years was celexa and was c/t off in November of 2011. A lot of my hard core symptoms didn't show up until 9 months off celexa and it was down hill from there. I had a lot of drugs thrown at me between August of 2012 up until May of 2014. I'm soon to be 16 months off my last med in a few days and I'm getting dressed sicker by the day. I don't know what to think anymore either. Just wanted to say your not alone with what your experiencing.

Spring of 1998 place on birth control pills for irregular bleeding, high testosterone and one ovarian cyst, stayed on until April 2004, told to take hormone holiday, conceived first son 4 months later-VERY BIG SUPRISE, was told wouldn't be able to have childern or would need reproductive doctor to help. Got pregnant again 2006 with second son easily, then was on/off birthcontrol again until October 2011, concieved 3rd son in October 2011(tried many times to get pregant again when 2nd child was close to 2yrs, hormone problems started again after 2nd child, along with thyroid enlargement.

Spring of 2001 celexa 10 mgs-rx'd by pcp for complaints of chronic fatigue, irritability and weight gain, stayed on until June 2005, switched to Lexapro 20mgs for PPD, stayed on Lexapro 6-7 months, couldn't afford to see psyh dr. and Lexapro, saw PCP switched back to 20mgs celexa in 2007, remained on until November 2011, was c/t off due to 3rd pregnancy, baby had umbilical cord defect, seemed ok during pregnancy, except for crying jags here and there. Our miracle baby was born July 20th 2012, healthy except with reflux. One month later the anxiety,restlessness,horrible crying, insomnia and the deepest depression ever. That started the psyh drug nightmare-benzo's,antidepressants, sleeping pills, mood stablizers. Nothing help made me worse, doctors just kept changing the meds frequently. 4 mental health hospitalizations, rapid detox off benzos Jan 2013, horrible withdrawal and still suffering withdrawal symptoms NO ONE BELIEVES ME, I feel like ive been on one consistant drug withdrawal for the past 2 years

January 2014 slow titrate up of lexapro to 20 mgs-horrible side effects!!, was just rapidly taper by current pysh off to pursade me to try an MAOI-no way!!! Was told should consider ECT

aww Skylarblue  I am so sorry for you =  but I am so happy I know someone who has gone and is going through the same thing I am going through because it makes me have hope again..

We will get through it Sky - just you wait and see - we will....Pug will help us she is the gem of light in the darkest of nights.

Much love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

(((Diva)))

Hold on, sweetheart. You are going through the "turning point" wave. You are going to come out on the other side of this tsunami healed! You watch and see. It is time for you to start seeing remarkable improvements. You may even have the "light switch" recovery where everything comes back online all at once. It will happen. I just know it.

Love, Pug

Love you Pug

You are my inspiration and everyone elses too.

We stick together and you just watch us    all of us......

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

Lee, Hi I am Lainey and I am being slammed with the same symptoms you describe and it is getting worse. I have only been off almost 14 weeks

I walk around all day trying to find ways to relieve the head weirdness...but nothing helps

I just wanted to say that I am here with you and I need friends on this board desperately right now

because no one believes its the Zoloft..most ppl say its the lorazepam and I am not sure what is what

2006-2012 50mgs zoloft
skipped doses every other day for a year and started having anxiety again in March 2012
back on at 50mgs Dec 2013
started taper from benzos April 2014 per Heather Ashton method (c/o from kpin to diazepam)
March 2015 started 1.25mg lorazepam
Tapered off Zoloft in May off in 4 weeks...5 weeks later crashing AGAIN. Dr wanted to start Gabapentin tried it 7 days
Symptoms :burning eyes, anxiety, pounding heart, dizzy, strange head feeling, internal shaking, Overall UNWELL
Taking lorazepam 1.25mg daily

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the words of  encouragement , on my thread.

Did you try the "dissolved" Magnesium ? 

I love Pug's comparison , with a " tsunami".  So cool,  but so true !!

Hang on.   Ali.

Just came back from my Endocrinologist and he said it doesn't believe I have WDs they should have been gone a long time ago......I am so upset   well what it is that I have then.....

Also my thyroid is normal due to the synthroid I take....

Please tell me it is withdrawals  else what is it......

Night Sweats, distorted vision, anxiety, crying, lightheadnedness,  pins and needles face, head, pressure bridge of nose...head pressure =  depression somewhat....blocked ears -  blood pressure goes from very high to normal...depends on how my anxiety is.....

What else can it be.  I know my GP said it could possible be...he sort of believes it.  Why do doctors not believe what we are going through....

I need some encouragement, please.

thank you

Love

Lee (f)

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013

• Moderator Emeritus

What else can it be.  I know my GP said it could possible be...he sort of believes it.  Why do doctors not believe what we are going through....

Lee,

Reread what you wrote.  That says it all.  If you've had all this other testing and nothing else fits, then withdrawal is what is at the core.  Whether the endocrinologist believes it or not is pretty much irrelevant.  You see enough examples of others on S/A in the same boat as you -- I wouldn't spend a ton more time and money looking for other answers.

Just be as good to yourself as you can and keep coming here for support.

Thoughts with you,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Bless you Space....Just needed to hear it again.  I know our hopes rise so quickly when we receive so much hope from this group.  It just makes me feel embarrassed  when I need to be reminded again and again...Still it helps so, so much.  One day I wont be so frightened and ask less and less.....xxx

Thank you so Much

Love

Lee

Off Zoloft May 17, 2013