SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Redmanone: Withdrawing from invega sustenna

Redmanone

Hi guys. I went to the hospital and was given a 234mg loading dose and a 156mg initiation dose of invega sustenna. If i had known how terrible this shot was, i would have never consented. Immediately after the injection, i suffered from muscle stiffness so bad that i couldn't walk. When i got home from the hospital, a wave of depression hit me like a ton of bricks. I had no idea what this was. Then the anhedonia set in. I have no emotionless whatsoever. Totally apathetic. And the most scariest part... It made me sexually im potent. It's hard to get erections and there's no feeling down there. I've experienced minor dysfunction from antidepressants (zoloft 100mg) but nothing no where near this bad! Im scared and losing hope. Please if anyone out there has recovered from invega or any other antipsychotic, Please share your story. If anyone has any advice or information please let me know.

Anafranil 100mg

-was injected with invega sustenna 234mg then a week later 156mg

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Redmanone

• oskcajga

• Altostrata

• InvisibleUnless

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys. I went to the hospital and was given a 234mg loading dose and a 156mg initiation dose of invega sustenna. If i had known how terrible this shot was, i would have never consented. Immediately after the injection, i suffered from muscle stiffness so bad that i couldn't walk. When i got home from the hospital, a wave of depression hit me like a ton of bricks. I had no idea what this was. Then the anhedonia set in. I have no emotionless whatsoever. Totally apathetic. And the most scariest part... It made me sexually im potent. It's hard to get erections and there's no feeling down there. I've experienced minor dysfunction from antidepressants (zoloft 100mg) but nothing no where near this bad! Im scared and losing hope. Please if anyone out there has recovered from invega or any other antipsychotic, Please share your story. If anyone has any advice or information please let me know.

The reason that you probably feel this way is because that medication is designed to be administered once per MONTH.  So it's like you're taking a daily dose of risperdol without actually doing it.  It has up to a 25-50 day half life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Oh my god, what a horrible drug.  So basically, you're going to have to wait at least a month before you start to feel totally recovered.  You'll probably be 100% fine 2-3 months later, and by 6 months there won't be any of that garbage in your system anymore.

After a month, if the symptoms don't abate, you might begin to worry...just a little.  For now, just hang in there until your body clears it out.

I would be very surprised if you sustained long term damage from that single shot, but you're going to be miserable for at least a couple of weeks.

I'm really sorry this happened to you.

Thanks oskajga, i'm not sure i'll be better in a month. I am trying to be optimistic however, i have not seen any improvements yet.. I expect to see some improvements in the next month or so. I had a blood plasma level test done. The level was at "9.4" and the normal level ranges from "20 up to in the hundreds" at least thats what the nurse told me. My appetite is starting to get better. Maybe i'll start getting better in a couple months.. One of my friends on bluelight started to feel better at 5 months but noticed improvements at month 3.

Anafranil 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Redmanone , it sounds like you've had an adverse reaction to the invega. Now that it's in your system there is

little you can do but wait till it works it's way out.

Are you taking any other medications at the moment? Perhaps you could fill in your signature , so that anyone

reading this can understand your situation at a glance each time you post.

Best wishes , Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hey fresh, nice name btw, yes i am taking some other medications. Im faking zoloft 50mg and Wellbutrin 150mg. And im not sure how to fill in the signiture as i am new to this site and still figuring out how it works.

Anafranil 100mg

Hey fresh, nice name btw, yes i am taking some other medications. Im faking zoloft 50mg and Wellbutrin 150mg. And im not sure how to fill in the signiture as i am new to this site and still figuring out how it works.

Wow, OK. Obviously, you're going to now need to wait several months before you do anything else, but in the long run you might want to see if the other medications are exacerbating your anxiety and depression.  Antidepressants are well known to make anxiety and depression much more severe and debilitating.  I never felt so suicidally depressed than when I was taking a number of SSRIs, so that might be your problem.  This goes completely counter to most "medical" advice, but I would strongly consider gradually weaning yourself off of those medications once your body clears out this new antipsycotic.

No amount of talk therapy and distraction is going to ultimately alleviate medically induced dysforia and anxiety.  That's my experience, at least.f

Good luck, I totally empathize with your situation.

Thanks oskajga, as i am sure that it is the invega causing the dysphoria and sexual impotency, i agree with you that i need to ween off of the antidepressants. I am pretty convinced that as this drug diminishes itself from my system, i will slowly but surely get better. The reason i am set on the idea that invega is still causing problems is due to its powerful d2 dopamine and sertonin antagonism. It is probably the strongest dopamine antagonist in its class. My doctor also reassured me that it takes many years to cause harm to the mesoliimbic pathway. So i will try to stay strong and await my recovery.

Anafranil 100mg

• Administrator

Welcome, Redmanone.

For what reason have you been given each of these drugs? Why were you in the hospital?

This is a site for going off drugs. What kind of information are you looking for?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I was in the hospital for psychiatric evaluation. The doctor misdiagnosed me with schizoaffective disorder based on my attitude towards being held in the hospital against my will. I was given welbutrin and zoloft for a dopamine and seratonin supplement, both of which are ineffective due to invega's seratonin and dopamine antagonistic properties. I am looking for support and reassurance that my current condition is not permanent and will gradually subside given time. If anyone out there knows about the drug or has successfully withdrawn from antipsychotics their testimonies would be greatly appreciated. I guess im looking for someone who is more knowledgable than I am about the matter.

Anafranil 100mg

• Administrator

The shots no doubt are intense at first but gradually wear off.

We have many people here tapering off antipsychotics.

Were you taking Zoloft first, then Wellbutrin was added for the sexual dysfunction -- all before you went into the hospital?

Was there some kind of unusual behavior that caused you to be hospitalized?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes, i went and talked to a counselor and was acting very emotional. I was being harassed at school everyday. Anyway my emotions got the best at me at the counselors office and my anger shown through. She called the cops on me, fearing i was a threat to myself and others. I then went to the hospital because my mom feared i was going to be arrested. They heard what happened and i wad committed. I was not delusional and did not have hallucinations whatsoever. I was angry. Yes i was previously on zoloft for ocd and depression. So your for sure my sexual function and emotions will come back in time? Im so scared.. This drug has ruined me. I just pray that my brain is okay.

Anafranil 100mg

• Administrator

Most people recover from the sexual dysfunction, but it can take some time off the drugs.

Are you not taking Wellbutrin and Zoloft at all now?

Im still taking the zoloft and wellbutrin but plan to start weening down shortly. Do you have any time frame that people usually recover from injections in?

Anafranil 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Instructions for how to fill in your signature are here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

I was thinking that your reaction to invega may have been exacerbated by the other psych. drugs in your system.

Lots of members have recovered from similar journeys to yours , and they're out living their lives rather than hanging out here. Take a look in the Success Stories section , it might be just what you're looking for.

;)

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for the response fresh and other users! Im so glad i have finally found a supportive site for my situation. I tried looking on the sucess stories section for antipsychotic recoveries but i couldnt find any. Also im on a mobile phone so it seems i have to be on a regular computer to change my signature.

Anafranil 100mg

Im still taking the zoloft and wellbutrin but plan to start weening down shortly. Do you have any time frame that people usually recover from injections in?

As Alta alluded to, I would also be curious as to why they injected you with such a potent antipsycotic in the first place.  Did you just go to the ER because you were suicidally depressed, and tell the doctors this fact?  Or was it because you were very anxious and the doctors just misinterpreted your situation and did a "quick fix" and injected you with the stuff?

It would be helpful to provide this information, in the sense that sometimes I've been in such a horrible state of mind that I felt like going to the ER but always pulled back at the last minute because I was afraid of getting injected with a powerful antipsycotic.  Sometimes I've read of people wanting to go to the ER because SSRI withdrawal was very bad.

Yes oskajga, they interpreted my anger as a problem and spent no time actually examining my situation and went straight to that quick fix. Shooting me up with invega and chemically lobotomizing me. It hurts so much. I contemplate suicide every single day. The doctor didnt even give me a chance and listen to me. It was his standard procedure to inject that poisen into anyone with problems. It was to much of a hassle to spend his valuable time to get to know me. I had no clue what antipsychotics did and when i asked what it was for, they told me "its to calm you down" more like nueroleptically tranquilize my brain. I suffer every single day because of this drug and so do many others. They might as well cut my privates off as i have no sensation down there anymore.... ????

Anafranil 100mg

Yes oskajga, they interpreted my anger as a problem and spent no time actually examining my situation and went straight to that quick fix. Shooting me up with invega and chemically lobotomizing me. It hurts so much. I contemplate suicide every single day. The doctor didnt even give me a chance and listen to me. It was his standard procedure to inject that poisen into anyone with problems. It was to much of a hassle to spend his valuable time to get to know me. I had no clue what antipsychotics did and when i asked what it was for, they told me "its to calm you down" more like nueroleptically tranquilize my brain. I suffer every single day because of this drug and so do many others. They might as well cut my privates off as i have no sensation down there anymore....

Oh that will get better.  I used to have no feeling at all and now I can almost have normal orgasms from time to time.  It seems like it will last forever, but it will come back

I have a strong feeling that it's a combination of the SSRI PLUS the injection that is causing your parasthesia.  Doctors will have no answer for your issues, so it might be a waste of time to try. 

I too have contemplated and still continue to contemplate suicide every day.  I suffered IMMENSELY for many many many many many months, probably 9 in total before my life started to not be SO awful, and now I just think about suicide during the bad times.

I personally had a very bad reaction to the combination of prozac and a pain reliever called tramadol.  It numbed the crap out of my body and caused me to feel like I couldn't feel my skin or my limbs.  I still suffer very badly from that combination, but it's gotten like 50-75% better at times.

So I guess I'd like to say that I'm so sorry this happened to you, and also that you'll get better, albeit slowly.

If symptoms WORSEN over the next month, I'd get off the SSRI - start tapering and be off it.  If symptoms don't worsen, I'd say stay on meds until you stabilize in 3 months or so, and then at that point get off the SSRI.

I have personally been able to get on and off zoloft and wellbutrin with minimal tapering, but this website strongly recommends that you do one medication at a time 10% every month.

Stay in touch, you're not the only one who's body has been damaged from pharmaceutical medication, but MIRACULOUS healing will occur over time, you won't even believe it and you won't want to remember what you've been through either.

You're words are helpful. I have in fact tried tramadol too. Back before I got the shot. I did quite a bit of partying. One night while i was smoking weed and probably on xanax, i took two tramadol and i was no longer the life of the party. I fell asleep and my ******* friends stole all my pot. Moral of the story, dont try drugs that you're not accustomed to. Its weird i have gotten a little feeling back in my private but its only in the tip so far... Maybe its because that is the most sensitive part of that particular organ??? It would make sense for that to be the first part to come back. Idk i hope it gets better though. Thanks for responding though. All i do is check my threads all day. It passes time and is reassuring to know that they are people that have went through similar situations like mine.

Anafranil 100mg

leaving a message of support here.  i was on several different antipsychotics (never for psychosis, like you), including risperidone.  i never opted for the injections because that seemed like a terrible idea when the pills were already bad enough.  i was on various ones for 7 years, and the zyprexa and risperidone basically resulted in complete chemical castration by the time i finally quit it all.

things have improved, but its taken quite a while.  and im still cycling through getting rid of all that poison from my system so sometimes im at least partly normal, but sometimes i am too dysfunctional to bother.  also, the antipsychotic withdrawal has caused paradoxical psychosis, which adds a new element of complication and obstruction to my sex life.

ive never gotten back to my usual state of 'ability' and zero refractory period, but i think itll just take more time.  and if you were only on one dose, albeit a month-long dose, i think you will recover partially in just a few months---close to what your friend said, perhaps 5-7 months---and almost fully in 1.5 years or less.  i fear you may occasionally have a bit of trouble here or there for the next long while after this, even if you are working just fine on most days, but it shouldnt tank your sex life long term.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
antipsychotics (atypical): abilify, zyprexa, risperdal, geodon
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien
anxiolytics: buspar
anticonvulsants: topamax

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

thanks silver star, i just wanted to add that i dont have a psychosis, the doctor totally misdiagnosed me altogether. And i was wondering how long did it take for you to start seeing improvement sexually? Right now for me my whole penis is pretty much numb. Feels like someone shot it up with anesthesia. Only the tip has a tiny bit, i stress a tiny bit of sensation. I'm still not sure if that is an improvement or I'm imagining it. how long have you been off them too? You should be glad you didnt get an injection. the depression and torment is horrible. 

Anafranil 100mg

silver star is, if im not mistaken, the arbitrary 'post count identity'.  my username, though, is essentially immaterial.

i thought you might get confused by my comma, which was meant to communicate that neither of us had psychosis, as opposed to us being different.  but, teach a man to comma, and he can comma the rest of his life, or something.

"improvement" is a rather vague term for me because the damage was so widesweeping.  loss of sensation, loss of orgasm, loss of erectile functionality, loss of sexual desire, loss of sexual response, loss of proper lubrication, etc.  its a huge constellation, and one aspect improving momentarily sometimes entails other aspects retreating some.  before i quit the risperdal---the last antipsychotic i was on, which i used for about 3 years of my 7 year treatment, my whole system was pretty much shot.  i quit doing everything in life...stopped making art, watching tv, having girlfriends, etc.  i barely slept or ate, everything was just shite, plain and simple.

since i remained in that state for months and years at a time, my progression to any degree of meaningful sexual function was marked by small, sometimes immeasurable steps for a lot of the duration.  it was weeks or months, probably, before i was capable of erection at all, and it mightve been weeks or months after that point when orgasm because even a fleeting, rare possibility.  but orgasm did not return as it once existed, of course...very much dulled, almost pointless.  and each year of recovery has involved trying to regain greater, more fuller functioning.  for instance, orgasm has been a possibility since within the first 6 months or so, but multiple orgasm has essentially not returned at all yet.  and orgasm is often out of sync with other aspects associated with climax, like ejaculation or or neuro- or muscular reactions.

every few days, i am in a new stage of withdrawal, and some are better for sexual functioning than others.  its rather aggravating at times, because even if you hit upon a good day or few days, where things are at least resembling a happy and functioning experience...they quickly pass, and i spend more time trying to improve than actually feeling like things are finally better.  i quit the risperidone 3 years ago now and things are still nowhere near normal.  and with my carpal tunnel (which was probably greatly worsened by the poor circulation caused by the antipsychotic withdrawal), dystonia (like that severe muscle rigidity you mentioned upon first dosing), parkinsonism and other withdrawal issues, i rarely feel competent in pleasing a woman at this point, even if im doing so without use of my recovering member.  my capacities would be intermittent, and that is both embarrassing and, simply, unacceptable in terms of a long term status in most relationships.  but its improving, albeit rather slowly and sometimes clumsily.

i have much greater hope for you, because you were not a chronic user.  it seems to really have shocked your system, so that jolt might leave more of a lasting impression than having just taken a few pills, or a less reactionary drug for you, but i still think you will recover.  so, week by week i can notice changes, even if they arent straightforward progress, but i was also on a ton of other meds simultaneously that im working through that make it a more complex pattern.  your wellbutrin and zoloft, if you are still tapering off them, can definitely contribute to dampening your sexual recovery, but dont rush the taper even if that makes you anxious.  rushing can be the worst thing and entail more significant or prolonged damage.  antidepressants and other things dont usually cause as big a problem for sexual functioning as the more hardcore antipsychotics and such which target multiple receptor types (though both can be quite hazardous or completely catastrophic), however taking both classes of meds simultaneously often overwhelms your system more than either could individually, and i found that everything i was taking contributed at least a little bit to my various issues.

i recommend brain-rebuilding exercises that focus on things like coordination, balance, memory, critical evaluation, and the corroborative neural responses to things like normal levels of exercise or dealing with changes of state (like walking from a hot room into a cold environment without things going haywire).  the brain is very collaborative regarding different bodily functions and systems, and helping your brain regain its general footing may spur healing in your hardest hit areas.  there are threads here about stuff like supplements and tapering percentages and stuff, but those are more individualistic than the fairly blanket advice to rest well, dont overstress your system trying to do what you formerly could before it is capable again, eat appropriate to your condition and hope for better health, and take an empathetic but constructive approach to damaged functioning and emotional perception.

sorry if this was a bit long, but my drug history is convoluted, and thus so is my recovery.  do take my statements and ideas as being one individuals perception and not an authoritative proclamation on the correct way of doing things or seeing things.  hope and community can get you far when dealing with psychotropic-induced damage, so definitely seek the help you can find and try to keep in mind that your highly troubling situation will probably be healing before you actually feel like its healing.  it can be a stressful process, to see things have changed so dramatically, so give yourself the grace of letting some time pass, and understanding that healing is possible.

from 2005-2012, i spent 7 years taking 17 different psychotropic medications covering several classes.  i would be taking 3-7 medications at a time, and 6 out of the 17 medications listed below were maxed or overmaxed in clinical dosage before i moved on to trying the next unhelpful cocktail.

antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, NDRIs, tetracyclics): zoloft, wellbutrin, effexor, lexapro, prozac, cymbalta, remeron
sleep aids (benzos, off-label antidepressants & antipsychotics, hypnotics): seroquel, temazepam, trazodone, ambien

i tapered off all psychotropics from late 2011 through early 2013, one by one.  since quitting, ive been cycling through severe, disabling withdrawal symptoms spanning the gamut of the serious, less serious, and rather worrisome side effects of these assorted medications.  previous cross-tapering and medication or dosage changes had also caused undiagnosed withdrawal symptoms.

brainpan addlepation

Thanks invisible for the response. So you're still a shadow of your former self too. I know the pain man. What things have you found help you get through the days and the even worse nights? My orgasm is not half what it used to be, not even a tenth really. Right now its the only thing i can still feel though. Did you say it improves though? I heard you say you notice weekly improvements. But i might have been just looking for something positive and disregarding the troublesome parts... I want us to heal. I want to believe that we will get better. Its causing so much stress on my mom and me. Have you gotten any sense of emotions back? Does listening to music sound good? Have you tried using any recreational drugs? I wonder if stimulants would help?

Anafranil 100mg

Is there any hope for libido returning? I wanted to fall in love. Have kids. I cant even imagine living like this for the rest of my life.. I cant get it up if i tried in a sexual situation. Im so pathetic.

Anafranil 100mg

it definitely improves, and im at a better point now than ive been all those 3 years, i think.  its just difficult to really communicate because it comes and goes (hah, no pun intended).  one day or week can be improvement, and then i can spend some time basically unable to even function and feeling really stressed because my libido surpasses my ability to express.

so, i am pretty confident your libido will increase closer to its normal state, and your functioning will largely return.  its just a matter of time, and in some cases, the frustration you feel over being inhibited or damaged can cause your brain to have trouble repairing, or you might have a negative emotional buildup surrounding the idea of the need for sexual healing and it can get in the way of a more peaceful resolution.  emotional state influences our capacity to heal ourselves.

before i quit the meds, i had basically stopped listening to music at all, ever.  which is crazy, because i used to be listening to music like 5-8 hours a day, listening to new bands and new albums every single day, going to 1-3 shows every week, even.  it got to the point where i had no will, drive, or pleasure.  and in withdrawal, after i quit the meds, it became too painful to expose myself to constant stimuli, like music, or a movie, or a telephone conversation.  it has taken 2-3 years to get to the point where i can listen to an album straight through, and it can still be very uncomfortable most of the time.  i just listen to a few songs here and there right now, but i can at least get pleasure from it sometimes.  i really want to stress that my healing, after seven years on antipsychotics (and 16 other meds) will probably be different in form and length than your own recovery.

i smoked weed for depression before i had quit the meds, but in withdrawal i have been oversensitive to that, as well, and so i very rarely have any and rarely have much when i do.  unspeakably minute amounts can be sufficient to leave me fried or paranoid.  social context and keeping myself well-fed is important in that situation, and sometimes i try to have an indica-heavy puff to treat the muscle dystonia that keeps me from exercising or feeling comfortable even if im sitting or laying down.  i really dont recommend seeing what other drugs can fix your situation, because the experience of most people on here is that more drugs are never the solution, and can worsen or protract your withdrawing state (or the non-withdrawal healing of damage caused by these psych meds).

you said you were a bit of a partier before, and so your reactions might be a bit different than some peoples, but i really dont think most party drugs would be constructive in your situation, especially because even if you did find something that could have a positive impact, it may have a negative effect long term---most recreational drugs sacrifice long term health for short term intensity.  and how you reacted to them before may be significantly changed after having taken the invega---you could have a super intense reaction to the point of a bad experience or serious pain or damage, or it could aggravate current disabilities you are already experiencing.

as for my emotions, they have rebounded GREATLY since when i quit the meds.  i have gone through many stages...paranoid, weepy, angry, social, etc, and still cycle through various deficiencies or overabundances of particular emotions, but my emotional capacity is greatly increased from where it was on the meds.  i was taking the meds for depression and anxiety, and quitting them helped a ton with both my depression and anxiety, as well.  aside from my more anxious withdrawal stages, i feel comfortable going through life unmedicated---i dont feel like my former diagnoses will hold me back from doing the things i enjoy anymore, like artistic endeavors or interacting with friends.

the most important thing, i feel like, is to not be so hard on yourself.  this is something you may never have met the likes of before, and i know it was new for me and a lot of people here...it feels like something suddenly vanished, and that if you just look in the right place, maybe you can get it back just as quickly.  but thats not the case---you need to spend time letting your body balance itself out and heal from the onslaught.  it is very frustrating, and can make you feel all sorts of terrible ways about yourself.  if you get stuck into a negative self-perception, you can carry that through with you even into a more healed state, so its vital to not create a negative view of yourself and your abilities---saying bad stuff about yourself all the time literally causes brain damage.  our emotional state and imaginings about the future play a role in how our body functions internally.

instead of saying "my sexuality is ruined!  i should be able to do better!  this is pathetic!" you should be stressing, in your internal and external dialogues, that you are in the process of recovery and healing, and that you will regain functionality over time.  i admit that it can be very hard to maintain a positive attitude through stuff like this, but the people on here who have had similar experiences will probably be a good source of encouragement.  essentially, we are all doing this together.

right now, if i had a girlfriend, i would be able to have sex with her on a regular basis.  it might get dicey sometimes, but i am to the point of functioning well enough to at least have an interaction.  i do have other withdrawal concerns that might limit activities a bit (the aforementioned things like muscle rigidity/pain, or dyskinesias where my facial muscles are contracting painfully and making it hard to think or do things like eat without biting myself bloody), however my sexual drive and physical ability have returned to the point where i could have kids if i wanted to, or have a somewhat satisfying sexual encounter.  im definitely not at 100% yet, and that may take another long while, but orgasm has been possible at least one a day for a while now.  sometimes the psychosis makes it difficult, or other physical or emotional aspects of withdrawal, but in the purely sexual sense, i can do it, and its a huge relief to finally have that opportunity so there isnt a huge disconnect between needing and ability.  tons of brain chemicals that are hit hard by psych meds play a big role in sexuality and orgasm, so sometimes it can be a healing experience just to be active, and sometimes you need a bit of a break so things dont fry.  i really think youll do alright, in time.

brainpan addlepation

• Administrator

Redmanone, please read this for background: Tips for tapering off Invega (paliperidone)

Be very careful about acting in exaggerated ways around officials of any kind, including doctors. Do not get angry, shout, weep, or scream. They will interpret this as psychiatric disturbance and do things like hospitalize you against your will.

Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Why are you on these other drugs?

Yea i used to party, but mostly i just smoked weed. I tried adderall and was very sensitive to it. I would turn into a tweaker and spend all day trying to make a sow a shirt pocket out of rags onto an old shirt. I thought it would be kinda "custom designed" lol. I also did a lot of xanax. And some tabs. Mostly hydrocodone and sometimes tramadol. I never have done any street drugs... Molly, crack, heroin, meth. Kinda wanted to try molly though because i have heard of its absolute euphoric state. Im not going to lie sometimes i pop a couple tabs to see if i can get a little feeling of a high. So far nothing. Well last time i got really tired a couple hours after using. Im not sure if that was connected or not. Anyway i have to talk to you about something. After i got my second shot. (This would put me at 390mg total) i started to get this strange vertigo feeling in my frontal lobes. Im guessing it was my mesolimbic pathway being taken over. But it got to the point where i would cry out in agony it was so intense. Anyway im glad you are healed to the point of having a girlfriend. Honestly i wouldnt be able to achieve an erection in a sexual situation. Everyday is a chore for me. Ive been getting severely depressed lately. I cut my wrist pretty badly last night. My mom doesnt know what to do with me. I dont know how this will get any better. Do you think once this flushes out of my system my receptors will be back? Ive had a blood plasma level test and that rated me at 9.4. Im not sure what normal level ranges are. Maybe in the 20s.. But they said it was a very low amount still left in me.

Anafranil 100mg

Alto, the drugs i mentioned earlier were prescribed to me except for the opiates. I used them recreationally and thats what led to my downfall. Im not on them anymore. Im just taking wellbutrin 150mg ( i cut in half last night) and zoloft 50mg. I dont use drugs anymore recreationally as they are of no benefit. I dont even smoke weed..

Anafranil 100mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's the drug interaction:

MAJOR WARNING (big RED exclamation point that I couldn't get to copy here):

bupropion ↔ sertraline

Applies to: Wellbutrin (bupropion), Zoloft (sertraline)

Talk to your doctor before using buPROPion together with sertraline. Combining these medications may increase the risk of seizures, which may occur rarely with either medication. In addition, buPROPion can increase the blood levels of sertraline, which may increase other side effects. You may be more likely to experience seizures with these medications if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol during treatment. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

I would consider tapering the Zoloft.  It has been implicated in sexual dysfunction in many people, as well.

Here are some articles about recreational drug use which indicate that young men (in particular), and young people in general, are at risk for taking recreational drugs.

In Australia, it is considered a direct correlation between cannabis use and schizophrenia, in males ages 18-25.  This is why cannabis will never be legal here, in spite of all of its other (antispasmodic, etc.) benefits.

If you read the threads here, there are a number of people who started out in their youth using recreational drugs, including heavy hallucinogens (LSD, Molly) and it ended with decades of psych drug use.  

In withdrawal, it is considered "destabilizing" to use cannabis. (http://www.willhall.net )

Here are 2 articles from Mad In America (MIA) for you to consider:

http://www.madinamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Does-cannabis-use-predict-the-first-incidence-of-mood-and-anxiety-disorders-in-the-adult-population.pdf

http://www.madinamer...risk-psychosis/

I feel for you, man.  But "recreating" with your brain is not the healthiest way to start out your life - even more so in young men because your cortex is still forming and refining until you are 30.  You're gonna need that brain, sooner and later!

Now for the part you may not like - Oskcajga and Invisible have a point:  it is more important for you to focus on your brain than your genitals right now.  This is a yoga perspective, and you can ignore me if you like, but I just want to give a different viewpoint.  It takes energy to heal your brain.  It also takes energy - essential vitamins, minerals, aminos, essential fatty acids - to ejaculate.  The more you retain, ignore your genitals, and the more time you spend playing sudoku or even Call of Duty or working crossword puzzles, or taking sensory challenges (good one Invisible!) - your genitals will heal alongside your brain.  Leave the genitals alone for a week, a month, and see if you don't get a better result then.  From a yogic perspecitive, using them daily will take away energy from the healing of your brain.

Woo, tough to talk about that stuff.  I don't envy your journey - but you found the right place.  People here have been through many many things.

Now to end on a more positive note, please learn about Omega-3 fish oil and Magnesium.  We find that they help everyone heal their brains  Your brain is made up of a high percentage of DHA, which the fish oil will feed.  And magnesium is responsible for something like 300 different neurotransmitter cascades.  These can help you to feel - again - better.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hello JanCarol, thanks for the info, I have abstained from any recreational drug use since my invega injection. Although i will admit i have tried some in hope that i could have some since of feeling,.. I do not try them anymore as they have no benefit for me emotionally or physically. Im really looking for some help and information regarding antipsychotics and how they leave the system. I am more concerned about whether i am going to see some long term damage to my mesolimbic pathway, which antipsychotics have been shown to alter. or at least shrink. I will refrain from the recreationals in order to let my brain try to recoop without any further obstructions. :wacko:  :unsure:

Anafranil 100mg

today was a hard day for my brain, but i hope to be back within the next day or three to answer/address your subsequent posts.  i am subscribed to the thread and read them in my email inbox between posting sessions oftentimes.

i can say in short, though...the information youre looking for is not really out there.  there is no clear scientific documentation of how antipsychotics persist and exit...only particular interactions are studied, and long term biological processing is neither heavily studied nor capable of the highly multifocal approach that would be required to give you the comprehensive skinny on it all.

medical literature tends to be either vague or completely silent on the matter.  what you can find basically just states that these drugs are stored in our fat, and can be built up in fat stores in significant enough concentrations to constitute an effective dose that can be internally 'administered' even after actual intake of the medication has been discontinued.  the observations of this are clear, but the extent is usually quite limited, due to how the drugs break down and how high a dose is considered clinically effective---which means side effects and withdrawal symptoms can be provoked even after observed periods, since negative experience can happen at any sub-clinical level of drug inundation.

here is a blog that covers various issues and has gotten into some of the beefier antipsychotic data.  if youre one for reading much, i recommend it as a good source of information and data deconstruction.  the zyprexa and seroquel articles are ones i have cited in presentations i have made on the subject (in seeking treatment or explaining symptoms), as they include the original study data and explain beyond what the pharmaceutical companies are honest enough to.

i created a 5-page document that delineates some of the most fundamental issues in question when it comes to psychotropic withdrawal, both antidepressant and antipsychotic, and i could send that to you via attachment or download link if youd like.  it includes a references page with 6 academic-level sources, and was compiled when i was asking the exact same questions you are right now (except without the highly valuable starting point of knowing that antipsychotic withdrawal even exists).  i dont feel comfortable posting the unedited transcripts on a public forum of this nature, as we should observe some degree of anonymity for the sake of safety and viability of our respective treatments, but if you shoot me a PM we can work something out.

with direct regards to your worries about physical damage---some people seem to heal fully, to whatever superficial degree.  some people only heal partially, and endure symptoms or visible physical damage indefinitely.  that does not always entail being significantly impaired, but this is some really shady s***, basically.  as for the reports that demonstrate the radical resizing of brain tissues while taking antipsychotics...the data isnt very clear on just what goes on with that.  we dont understand exactly why it happens, and how functioning is affected, though inferences have been drawn in some places.  it is observed that discontinuation of dosing can (but doesnt inherently) result in a full reclamation of volume, but 'volume' is a sort of tricky term because 'size' is not synonymous with 'arrangement'.

in bodily structures, temporary volume reduction can be somewhat benign or highly troubling, based on the functional differences, and in the case of our brains and the impact of antipsychotic drugs, theres just not enough information to state the degree of worry one should have, partly due to the elusive nature of brain function vis-a-vis our ability to study, and largely because the funding is not there for stuff like the negative and potentially dangerous side effects of drugs that are already approved and raking in million$ upon million$.  so, just because some brains can 'pop back into shape' after using antipsychotics short term doesnt mean everything is back in its rightful and working place.  and, furthermore, 'braincrunching', which necessarily impacts functionality, is observed as being evoked by other types of trauma as well, for instance emotional abuse.  and in those cases, it has been clinically studied to potentially involve spontaneous catastrophic re-collapse even after the initial stimulus has been removed and healing has been gone through.  the triggers for our symptoms are not always dependent upon being the initial provokers of our damaged state.

and if you want my personal opinion on antipsychotics based on significant experience...i feel like they are stored in my fat in amounts that cause me to have symptoms/side effects that are precipitated by actual dosing, not just recovering from not taking them anymore (ie a brain rewiring itself in a drug-free environment).  exercise or weight loss are accompanied by a sudden introduction of new symptoms, or a worsening of present ones, for instance.  i know the feel and smell of each antipsychotic...i can tell if i am sweating risperdal instead of abilify.  there are many 'interesting coincidences' i have noticed in the past three years that make me think there are still meaningful remnants of drugs within my body that are released as i recover, and break down/process unhealthy tissue and fats that have built up.  those blogs on zyprexa, or my 5 page outline of facts, would give you some context as to why that seems reasonable to me.  i can expound later if youd like, but my brains a bit fried at this point.

no one can accurately tell you whether you will recover, or how much you will recover, but the common experience of the wisened members ive met here is that healing almost always occurs to some degree, most usually takes a frustratingly long time to manifest more fully, and generally requires the utmost care and scrupulous management of your environment (especially anything ingested or physically contacted externally) in order to preserve the evolving balance between 'damaged' and 'recovered'.

brainpan addlepation

Hi Redmanone,

I read through your thread and it seems like you're getting some good information from a number of knowledgeable people. I did answer your question on my thread and I also noted that the Zoloft might have something to do with the sexual dysfunction. HOWEVER, tapering the Zoloft so soon after coming off the Invega might not be the best idea.

You wrote in this thread you're feeling some sensation in the tip of your penis so it might be just a matter of waiting a bit longer for full sensation to return.

I also noticed you wrote that you took half of your Wellbutrin dose a few nights ago. Maybe one of the mods or someone else more knowledgable than me can chime in but in my opinion that could be a mistake. Wellbutrin is considered the "sexy energetic" SSRI so tapering that drug so fast could surely cause sexual dysfunction problems on top of what the Invega is doing. As I said before, everyone is different and you may be one of the lucky ones who can taper a little faster.

Whatever you do, I hope you feel better...and I hope the depression lifts. All of this will pass for you...try to be as systematic about your taper as possible, it will make a big difference.

2001-04 Polypharmacy to include Paxil,Celexa, Risperdal, Seroquel, Depakote, Ambien, Geodon, Valium, Ativan, Haldol

03/04-11/04 Abilify

11/04-05/07 CT Abilify Non symptomatic

6/07 took Valium, began to experience altered reality and physical symptoms of withdrawal from Valium.

07/08. Abilify 2 mg, 12/08 Abilify 1 mg, 03/09 Abilify 0 mg, 03/08-06/11Altered reality but fully functional

10/12 hospitalized, Invega Depot, 2 shots discontinued, severe insomnia

6/14-10/14 flexeril, discontinued, developed insomnia; 10/14 10 mg Doxepin I week, no help with insomnia; 10/14 Remeron for two days, paradoxical reaction

Present Risperdal 1mg, clonazepam 2 mg, Restoril 15 mg. Went from .5 to 1 to 1.5 to 2mg of clonazepam in 2014. Also in 2014, tapered from 2 mg risperdal to 1.5 (fairly slowly but still too fast) and had to up dose back to 2 mg. Got liquid risperdal and started from 2 mg again.

• Administrator

InvisibleUnless, would you share with us some selections from your paper with a new topic in the Symptoms forum?

Redmanone, how are you feeling now?

hey altostrata, im feeling okay i guess. im still very depressed, last night was very hard. Im in the process of moving my guns out of the house so i wont be able to shoot myself. What i can infer about invisibles post is that most people at least recover to some degree and the lucky ones make a full recovery. I really hope i am one of the lucky ones, or at least partially recover. I dont think ive given it enough time yet.. i was talking to some people on bluelight earlier and they didnt start feeling any improvements until about 5 months. Idk im obsessing about this way too much. its all i think about 24/7. i wish i would wake up one day and my feelings hit me like a **** ton of bricks. but i doubt that will happen... I think music may be starting to sound a little better. I know that my appetite is coming back. I enjoyed eating chinese food last night. Thats about all i know right now. thanks guys for all the posts. i really appreciate it. 

Anafranil 100mg

• Administrator

You might consider reducing Zoloft, as Adagioo noted, it can also cause sexual dysfunction all on its own.

See Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Also, do what you can to stop thinking about sexual performance. Give yourself a vacation from that for a while, it makes you miserable. Focus on your hobbies or take up a hobby. Do you like music? Learn a musical instrument. If you like animals, volunteer at a pet adoption place or offer dogwalking in your neighborhood.

Redmanone, to answer you from the other thread: I was on pills.  It's mostly my circumstance that's changed.  I'm in a pretty intense program for school and have stuff to do all the time whereas before I didn't and all I could think about was the misery I was in.  I did start taking cipralex too, which might be helping a little.  Although, just in the last week, I've also noticed that it seems i've lost a bit of the weight that I put on during olanzapine.  The sleeping is still not great, but i do manage to get some sleep every night/day.  Also, it *seems* to me that the hand tremors are a tiny bit better now as well. Also, the chills seem to have disappeared.  I'm not sure if that's just because it's summer though.  Definitely not back to normal, but also not where I was.