SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

100bananas discontinuation syndrome or not?

100bananas

Was taking Abilify 20 mg but tapered down to 5-10 mg. Was also taking Celexa 40 mg but tapered down to 20 mg. Doctor started me on Wellbutrin 150 mg a month ago to "give me a boost".

Stopped taking the abilify and celexa but still take Wellbutrin 150 mg. The first month I felt fine, now even though I am on Wellbutrin, I am getting anxiety spells, some social phobia at times, and my depression is coming back. 

I come from a family with a lot of mental illness, and had depression with psychosis since I hit puberty, now I am almost 40. I think the medications worked in a way but by numbing me and dulling my feelings in general. In a way it was good in that it numbed me so much I didn't have anxiety and was able to talk to people. I would like to see if I could be okay now with out the help of meds but tried to go off them before cold turkey and my depression came back worse than ever.

I thought since I am replacing the abilify and celexa with Wellbutrin I would be fine, and was then planning to wean off of that. But I don't know if I am just feeling my emotions more or it's discontinuation syndrome.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome 100bananas. Withdrawal will often involve more symptoms than just depression or anxiety, anything from head-aches, nausea, food/chemical sensitivities, cravings of various kinds, episodes of panic, fluishness, pains, bodily tension, to all sorts of strange and difficult to describe sensations.  Are you experiencing any symptoms in addition to the social phobia and anxiety spells, or is the anxiety different or more intense than it's been in the past?  

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling, bananas.  Whether it's from the withdrawal or not, anxiety is a hard burden.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Welcome, 100bananas.

It is possible to have withdrawal syndrome even if you're on other drugs.

Do your symptoms, particularly the anxiety, have any daily pattern?

Please read The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thanks for both of your replies. I hardly got anxiety while on Celexa and Ability so it seems strange to me. My mood changes a lot throughout the day, I am getting irritable a lot, then anxious, then depressed and then feel fine. before on the other meds my mood didn't change much like that.

100bananas - I can relate to what you're going through these days.  To make a long story short, I hope, I went off liquid Paxil after many years on it to try and get pregnant.  I figured that I knew a lot about the medication, so I knew how to get off of it.  Whew!  Not really.  I went slowly, or so I thought, but all things let lose and I had a nervous breakdown.  I don't mean to scare you, however, I do suggest that you get professional help and follow their directions closely.  Meet with them often and tell them how things are going, etc.  My biggest mistake was doing it alone.  It makes me sad to this day to say this, but my "going solo" approach lost me the chance to have a baby and I lost my mind for some time.  I'm doing decently know.  I've been back to work full-time for five years and, thanks goodness, my husband stood by me.  Best of luck to you and lots of hugs...

• Administrator

Very few doctors know how to taper people off psychiatric drugs. It's hard to find "professional help." If that was available, I would close this site.

100bananas, that odd fluctuation of symptoms is characteristic of withdrawal syndrome.

How long have you been off Celexa and Abilify?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Wellbutrin is known for causing anxiety. It did for me.

As requested. In the last 3 years to the best of my recollection I first dropped the max dose of Lamictal. Yes I just stopped it was doing absolutely nothing. Then I dropped Lexapro, that was even easier I had been on and off that a dozen times before. There were at least 2 odd off label attempts at anxiety that I won’t be able to remember. Then there was sweet/evil Seroquel. That was the last to go it’s been around 16 months.

Lithium, Prozac, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Celexa, Lamictal, Lexapro, Luvox, Viibryd, Brintellix, Pristiq, Zoloft, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon, Abilify, Latuda, Ritalin, Adderall, Valium, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Propanalol, Spravato

I  have been off abilify and celexa for 2 months. Felt normal and great today, but yesterday was in a really bad place. It's confusing cause I feel so good today, I think that everything will be just fine.

• Administrator

Be sure to take Wellbutrin at the same time each day.

Keep notes on paper of your daily symptoms, to see if there's a pattern.

Hi 100bananas - I have been tapering off Effexor for quite a while and I can say that I have had similar symptoms.  My agitation can go out the door sometimes and the other day I noticed that old anxiety "burn" in the middle of my stomach that I used to have before medication.  I also think that all the emotions that we have had covered over with the medications come bouncing back up to the surface as we taper.  I think if we just monitor it so it isn't out of control and hang in there, we will get through it eventually.  You have done well with being down to only the one medication.  Good for you!

12-2001 -- Started Effexor XR - 150 mg dose  2005 -- Tried to cold turkey off it.  Lasted 3 days and then went back on 150 mg.  2009 -- Went on generic Effexor due to cost.  Have had a lot more side effects on it.  09-24-13 -- Started tapering by taking 2 beads out of 150 mg capsule.  10-17-13 thru 07-17-14 -- Took 2 more beads out of capsule each month.  08-2014 -- Dropped by 8 beads.  Went into a HUGE depression.  05-03-15 -- Now taking 22 beads out of capsule.  Went to micro-taper of 2 beads every other week.  11-10-15 -- Taking 96 beads (About 54 out of capsule.  Reversed the way I was taking them since the amount in the capsule varies).  Can now drop 8 beads a month, 4 every other week, with no problem.  After a while switched to dropping 2 beads every Monday as 4 at a time was starting to affect me.  Have no problem with dropping 2 beads every Monday.  07-07-16 -- Now taking 43 beads with no problems. 09-27-16 -- Now taking 2 beads out every other Monday.  Am at 33 beads now.  12-11-17 -- I AM NOW OFF EFFEXOR!!!!!