SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Gh0st's Escitalopram W/D

Gh0st

Hey Everyone!

I'm Ghost, A 19 year old College Sophomore. Some people may recognize me as an Admin from pssdforum.com. I am indeed the same "Ghost". For anyone with enough time, I will link my Intro to that site, which follows some updates throughout the months leading till now (10 since my last pill). http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=179.

Otherwise, I'll leave a shorter version below:

Following a period of anxiety last summer I was prescribed 10mg of Escitalpram, 50mg Trazodone, and 1mg Ativan. I fought hard to not take the meds, but when I went away to college I was unable to sleep the first night and I reluctantly took 5mg Escitalopram for 4 days. I stopped because I noticed insomnia, delayed orgasm, loss of sex drive, and genital numbing. I assumed that they would go away after stopping, but it has been 10 months so far without taking the medication, and some symptoms remain. Delayed orgasm cleared up within a few days, and there have been occasional waves slight improvement, but each has been met with PSSD returning. Most of the improvements have been brought on by taking something for PSSD. (Zinc, St. John's Wort, Curcumin...I've tried a lot). I always had a really high sex drive, and now I'd say that It's lower than average. Maybe 75% of what it once was. I'd also say that my genitals are about 20% numb. I can't tell for sure/ remember exactly what it was like before. My entire skin feels slightly numbed. Even scarier is the feelings of being emotionally dulled, although this has seemingly improved a bit with time. I currently am in a relationship that makes me quite happy. She's the best, and I feel awful that I can't always feel emotion for her, and that I still have sexual problems. But when I do feel love for her in a window...damn it's strong. 

I found this all extremely devastating at first. I cried every day, and hated myself every second. I woke up every morning feeling like I had gotten no good sleep. I was always tired. Another thing that Escitalopram left me with was severe depression. I never had that before the drug. It also destroyed my anxiety, which has luckily never came back like it did before Lexapro. These were the darkest days of my life. It's why I call myself "Ghost" online. I literally felt like a shadow of my old self. Luckily I am feeling a bit better now, although I miss my old self dearly. This whole thing has taught me a lot.

I am a pre-med student that is very involved with the chemistry of PSSD/ AD withdrawal. I hope to someday become a doctor that is aware of the dangers of these drugs. I really love helping people.

I'm extremely devoted to my recovery. I care about other people struggling with this, and that's why I joined this forum. It seems like a great community, and one that has a different viewpoint than the one that I help lead. I like keeping my mind open, and learning new ways to get back to being the old me. 

I hope to meet some friends along the way,

Ghost

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

Welcome Ghost :)

I'm so sorry for what you've been through. But it's so nice you want to help people.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

So good to see someone on this site that may actually make a huge impact one day. Your patients will be lucky to have you.

Welcome. Hope you get a lot of benefits from your time with SA. I think you will, I certainly do.

2003 Zoloft for PND. No other Psych history before this.

2009 CT. Huge withdrawal. Voluntary hospital admission. Successfully stabilized on 40mg Prozac.

2012 CT after 2 years of tapering to 10mg. Another Disaster. No hospital admission. Stabilized 40mg Prozac

2014 CT after 2 years of tapering to 5mg. Destabilized but not as bad as previous. Found this site. Reinstated 5mg. Stabilized quickly but held for 6 months.

Feb 2015 4mg Prozac

March 2015 Tramadol for Pain after an OP. Didn’t realize it was an SNRI.

March 2015 3 mg Prozac

April 2015 2.5mg Prozac

May 2015 2mg Prozac

June 2015 Destabilized (After research believe it was delayed withdrawal due to the Tramadol)

July 11th 2015. Updosed to 2.5mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants, Ghost.

I'm sorry for what you're experiencing. No doubt it feels devastating and your tears are understandable. The good news is that you've experienced improvement!! Not as quickly as you'd like, but still a great sign!

You were on Escitalopram for such a short time and been off for awhile so my guess is that it's a case of time will heal. College in and of itself can be extremely stressful, as I'm sure you've experienced. This too may contribute to the decrease in sex drive your experiencing. Of course they cycle of worrying about your sex drive then kicks-in adding additional stress. So again, it sounds like a matter of time, finding activities (meditation, yoga, etc.) that can be calming.

I see you have already posted your signature. Is Escitalopram the only med you've taken? How did the other supplements effect you? Aside from a high quality fish oil and magnesium, we advocate avoiding supplements. (See King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker). They've been helpful to many of us.

Here's a link about withdrawal:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1008-intro-to-antidepressant-withdrawal-syndrome/

You will find a great deal of support here a long with stories similar to yours. I encourage you to look around this site.

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do. Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion. This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well. The best way to search this site for specific information is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

Also, you can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want.

Again, welcome!

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

Hey Ghost

I can completely connect with what you are going through, especially the emotional numbness it drives me nuts every day.  I can also relate because I just graduated college a couple of months ago and spent about 5 months of my withdrawal still away at school.  Trying to maintain my usual social life while enduring w/d proved to be extremely hard but I got through it.

That's awesome that you plan to do research on withdrawal.  I start law school in a month and hope to someday be involved in some type of lawsuit against these pharmaceutical companies.  Maybe someday we can both be at the forefront of this issue.

September-December 2012: 10mg Paxil and no long term W/D symptoms

July-August 2013: 10mg Celexa for anxiety-based(?) insomnia, no W/D symptoms

October-December 2014: 37.5 and then 75mg Effexor XR

December 18, 2014: Last dose of Effexor after ~ 3 week taper

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome, Ghost!

Ru :)

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

First off, I want to thank everyone for being so supportive! I'm hoping I can help as well!

Addax, I agree that the stress of college alone/ depression/ worrying about PSSD could deteriorate sex drive. Some of the other symptoms that I have are Erection problems and Soft Glans. I have occasionally had discomfort and a "tingly" feeling, but that goes in cycles, and mostly isn't there.

I've researched PSSD extensively, and everything that I have taken has been an attempt to re-stabalize neurotransmitter levels, especially focusing on the 5ht1a serotonin receptor, and the downfield consequences of its desensitization. The site that I am on has a totally different PSSD approach that mainly revolves around brain chemistry of this. One of the reasons I came here is to try and get another perspective on AD discontinuation. I have a lot of scientific papers and reasoning behind each of these, and if anyone ever wants to chat about that, feel free to PM me.

Zinc: Testosterone raising

Curcumin (turmeric): Depression treatment, receptor re-sensitization (3 wks/ currently)

St. John's Wort: Seen 3 Citalopram PSSD recoveries from this. Alters serotonin receptor densities. (4wks)

CDP Choline: Raises Dopamine levels (2 wks)

Fish Oil: Depression/ Mental well being (8+ months/ currently)

Magnesium: Sleep Help ( 10+ months/ currently)

I have indeed taken other drugs. One of the things I'm very mad about it that I also took Trazodone for the 4 days I took Escitalopram. My doctor prescribed both, and a supplement that raised serotonin. I must have given my brain quite the shock starting all that at once, which I did. Oh and I also took Ativan that day too, and a few other times, but it made me dizzy so I stopped. I also no longer need it as Escitalopram basically cured my anxiety in 4 days. I took Trazodone for a few days after Excitalopram, and then have taken it a few nights since then for sleep. Last time maybe 5 months ago. 

Outdoorsman, 

That sounds great! Someone needs to get legal action against them eventually. Not enough people know about what these drugs can do... It is all very hard during college. Congrats on Law School, that must be quite exciting!

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

• Administrator

Welcome, Gh0st.

There are people who are very sensitive to serotonergics and have serious adverse reactions to only one dose or a few. You seem to be one of them.

After going off the drugs, these people may have symptoms very similar to withdrawal syndrome for quite a while.

Here's our topic about this

Immediate adverse reactions to SSRIs? How long for recovery?

And about Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD)

As you know, we don't see PSSD as a separate phenomenon from withdrawal syndrome, although it can be the only symptom.

As withdrawal syndrome indicates neurological instability, we caution people against aggressively trying to eliminate symptoms; this may cause more upset in the nervous system.  Hormones and drugs that are sexually stimulating can do this.

Here is some reading about withdrawal syndrome in general What is withdrawal syndrome?

Rather, we urge people to pursue very gentle remedies to stabilize the nervous system -- and, most important, to be patient while healing occurs very slowly and frustratingly inconsistently. See The Windows and Waves Pattern of Recovery

(I've written long e-mails to vornan about this.)

Fish oil and magnesium seem to help most people with withdrawal syndrome (a few are hypersensitive to these, too). See http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Generally, we have not found analyzing receptor behavior or purported neurohormonal balances to be helpful. The effects of the drugs are not localized; the activity of the autonomic nervous system is so vast and complex, simplistic attempts to "balance" hormones of any type tend to backfire. See dysautonomia

Your skin numbness is probably caused by autonomic dysfunction, as is the PSSD. Sexual response depends on a vast orchestra of hormonal changes playing in harmony. When one of them goes a little off, the symphony goes out of tune.

It sounds to me like your PSSD is improving, very slowly, which probably is very frustrating for you as a young male. But the signs are good that it will recover over time.

Thank you for joining our community. Please post in this topic to track your progress.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Yea I would agree that PSSD falls under WD. I can definitely see the argument that messing with too much could disrupt things. For me, the hardest part is trying to figure out the probability of recovery within say, 2, 5, 10 years. If I knew 10 years from now I'd be the same without doing anything, then I'd want to try things now. But if I knew I'd be healed in 2 years with laying off other things...Then I'd hold out. It's just a big uncertain abyss that has no definite answers. No promises. That's the scariest part. Being a young, sexually active male does indeed make it harder. You realize how much of college and young adult life focus on it, and that sucks. 

My guess on the skin is decreased Dopamine levels, which would be apparent with Serotonin 5HT1A Autoreceptor de-sensitization. Which would lead to raised Prolactin (which I think explains soft glans). But as you said, It's unbelievably complex.

What is your opinion on common drugs that I may encounter? Alcohol/ Nicotine/ Marijuana. I try to limit my intake of them to almost none, but Alcohol is one that I enjoy a fair amount as a college student. I would tend to think avoiding them isn't a bad idea.

• Administrator

We have people here who have skin hypersensivities, such as burning sensations, and others with Persistent Genital Arousal Disorder (PGAD). Disruption of dopamine regulation is probably too simplistic an explanation.

Generally, people with withdrawal syndrome have bad reactions to alcohol, nicotine, and recreational drugs as they add more neurological disruption.

However, we have a couple of people who have found judicious use of marijuana helps their symptoms.

Alcohol seems never to be a good idea.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hello ghost..

I have a question about the St. John's wort.

I recently took some nearly 5 weeks ago only for a few days. Ever since then I've been struggling with erectile dysfunction.

I don't understand exactly how St John's wort would help PSSD.

Could you explain this to me?

Took St. John's Wort for a few days straight by brewing up some of the herb in tea at a gram dry weight per day. Took a break for a week, then continued for 2 days straight and stopped after that.

Stopped because side effects appeared to be erectile dysfunction.

• 2 weeks later...

Boacostrictor, 

I'd be glad to answer some SJW questions, I've researched/ analyzed it intensely and have taken it myself as an attempt to help Anxiety/PSSD/depression! I posted in your intro thread!

Hey man, I used to read your posts on pssd forum, good job on the research. I'm pretty sure you will recover fully, you just need some time. I tried many things for pssd, but I guess the key factor is time, somel lifestyle changes and neuroplasticity. Good luck and take care!

Hey man, I used to read your posts on pssd forum, good job on the research. I'm pretty sure you will recover fully, you just need some time. I tried many things for pssd, but I guess the key factor is time, somel lifestyle changes and neuroplasticity. Good luck and take care!

Thanks! Are you feeling mostly better now? Wishing you the best!

• Administrator

Please add to our St. John's Wort topic St. John's Wort (Hypericum Perforatum)

St. John's Wort, by the way is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor and a noradrenergic.

Gh0st wrote on Outdoorsman's thread: "I find this really interesting. My genital /skin numbness is slightly worse on one side (my left). I thought this was only me, and wondered why it could be? It's an odd feeling."

The left side of the brain controls the nerves on the right side of the body, and vice-versa.

So, at some point in time, if the inflammation of the nerves due to SSRI WD is worse in the right side of your brain, then the left side of your body will be affected.

When the symptoms in the right side of my brain were worst (right-ear tinnitus and right side brain pressure), that is when the left side of my body went slightly numb.

I suppose the nerves in our extremities themselves could also be affected by SSRI WD independent of whether or not the brain is affected too.

Hell hath no fury as an SSRI scorned.....

Prozac:   20 mg 1996 – May 2003 CT to 0 mg; by Aug 03 CRASH then protracted WD 3 yrs

Zoloft:    2004 few weeks;, CT to 0 mg

Effexor:  2005 few months CT to 0 mg; bad withdrawal. 

Lexapro:  10 mg from 2009 – 2011; cut dose in half to:

Lexapro:    5 mg from 2011 – Feb. 2014; CT to 0 mg; 2 months of fatigue, followed by:
Aug - Oct 2014 Lexapro WD Insomnia Wave; sleeping very good from Nov 2014 - Nov 2015; broken sleep pattern Dec 2015 - Jan 2016

Dec 2014 - present: Brutal Lexapro WD ear ringing/head ringing/head pressure lasting for 14 months now.

24 months SSRI-free  

• 1 month later...

ONE YEAR OFF ESCITALOPRAM:

I'm really surprised when I look at the calendar and see that it is September, because that means that I've had PSSD for a year now. 1 year. That seems so weird. I never thought I'd see this day. But here I am!

I've spent much of this week sorting through my private PSSD journal/notes, and it's been very...emotional, I guess. I've done a lot this part year. Traveled, dated, lived, cried. I went though some extremely dark times, but I also had some of the most profoundly beautiful moments of my life. Times when things finally "clicked". I view the world so much differently than this time last year.

I started thinking about things differently after the darkest days of my depression. Having come to a point where I could have tossed in the towel and given up on life, I now have come to view each moment differently. Because I so easily could have ended things right there, I see every moment after those as a gift. It's almost like free time. It doesn't matter if some days are hard because all the good moments are a bonus. When you have nothing to lose, you have everything to gain.

I don't think that I'm substantially better sexually than I was last fall, but I'm in a much better place emotionally at least, and that helps everything.

I'm so incredibly happy with my current relationship that has been going on for around 3 months now. Sexually and emotionally. I've been able to successfully re-gain my sexual ability to an acceptable level nearly every time I hang out with my girlfriend. I'm now able to maintain my erections for longer, and they are harder. I think it's because I'm finally comfortable with her, so I'm at my sexual best. I don't want to sound like a love-struck teenager, but for the first time I think I have a relationship that might actually last. It doesn't feel childish and stupid like the others. Part of that comes from all the perspective that I have gained through my pain the past year. I still wish that I could go back in time and change this, but I’ve now lived 1/19th of my life this way, and it’s slowly just becoming who I am. I guess if there is such a thing as destiny, maybe this has been mine.

I know that the entire premise of this forum is that healing will come in time. I know that people will tell me that this can come far past the 1 year mark, but I want to say how scary that is. As far as I've come, I'm scared still that things won't turn around. I'm hoping for the best these next 12 months.

Love,

Ghost

• Administrator

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering. I am sure your PSSD will go away.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Very happy to hear you're doing better. I added our cheerful "here comes the sun" symbol

to the title of your Intro topic, to show you're recovering. I am sure your PSSD will go away.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing. I hope you will add your story to our Recovery Success Stories eventually!

Thank you, Altostrata!

Although my PSSD isn't much better than since I stopped the SSRI, I am emotionally much more stable. This combined with more exercise, better diet, and confidence with a girl is what I think has helped me be better some days. I can't figure out why, but I've had more trouble again. Hmm. Must be that window cycle... At the very least, I am glad that parts of me are better. I'm hoping for a day of full recovery in the future!

• 2 months later...

Hi Ghost

I can totally relate myself to you. My pssd started 4 years ago and I think it was triggered by Trazodone. I was very depressed those days and the antidepressant that I was taking that time wasn't working. I went to my doc and asked him that I want to withdraw from Paxil and want to take something which doesn't cause sexual dysfunction. So he gave me Trazodone. Initially when I took trazodone my libido was extremely high and I was experience super strong erections (not priapism) and then after few days I crashed and since then never recovered from it.

After reading your story, I come to conclusion that Trazodone can cause PSSD as well. What do you say?

It's impossible to know. I took the drugs at the same time as one another.

I think it was a combo of all of them at once that really messed me up. That's why I think it took less than a week to do all this damage to me.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was Lexapro. But I'll never truly know.

By definition, PSSD is caused by SSRIs, but I could see how Trazodone could create something similar. It could throw off the homeostasis of 5-HT receptors.

In my case combination of Paxil and Trazodone could have caused it.

Interestingly, before I crashed the very first symptom that I experienced was prostate pain which later turned out to be chronic prostatitis. Followed by complete sexual dysfunction and emotion bluntness. Do you experience anything similar?

Yes! Trazodone gave me terrible prostate pain when I used it to sleep last December. It was maybe after 3-4 days, but I could hardly pee for a while. I thought it was some sort of infection. I stopped Trazodone and it disappeared in a few days.

I speculate that as a result of only being on drugs a few days, and being pretty young, Sexual Disfunction and Emotional Blunting are not extreme. Everything is probably muted about 30%. I can still have pretty good sex, but it takes longer to get an full erection (maybe a minute or 2 compared to a few seconds before). Also I have some Genital Numbness. Soft Glans too.

• 2 months later...

The following is my personal theory on PSSD. I tried to make it as scientific as possible. All of my sources are cited. If anyone would like to share it with doctors/researchers/healy, maybe it would help them with PSSD research. If you want to share it with someone, please PM me, and I will get you the high quality PDF.

It's also posted in full and high quality at: 

http://www.pssdforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=479&start=10

-Ghost

post-5229-0-86292400-1454807842_thumb.png

page 2 of the paper:

I had to cut down the size to be able to upload it all...

The references didn't fit. I'll paste them below:

Bang S. J., Jensen P., Dymecki S. M., Commons K. G. “Projections and interconnections of genetically defined serotonin neurons in mice.” Eur. J. Neurosci. 2012 35, 85–96.

Ben-Jonathan, Nira, and Robert Hnasko. "Dopamine as a prolactin (PRL) inhibitor." Endocrine reviews 22.6 (2001): 724-763.

Ben-Sheetrit, Joseph, et al. "Post-SSRI Sexual Dysfunction: Clinical Characterization and Preliminary Assessment of Contributory Factors and Dose-Response Relationship." Journal of clinical psychopharmacology 35.3 (2015): 273-278.

Blier P et al. “Combination of antidepressant medications from treatment initiation for major depressive disorder: a double-blind randomized study.” Am J Psychiatry. 2010 Mar;167(3):281-8. Epub 2009 Dec 15.

Blier PDe Montigny C. Electrophysiological investigations on the effect of repeated zimelidine administration on serotonergic neurotransmission in the rat. J Neurosci. 1983 Jun;3(6):1270-8.

Blier Pde Montigny C. Current advances and trends in the treatment of depression. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 1994 Jul;15(7):220-6.

Bolton, James M., Jitender Sareen, and Jeffrey P. Reiss. "Genital anaesthesia persisting six years after sertraline discontinuation." Journal of sex & marital therapy 32.4 (2006): 327-330.

Burnet, PWJ, Michelson D, Smith MA, Gold PW, Sternberg EM (1994). “The effect of chronic imipramine administration on the densities of 5-HT1A and 5-HT2 receptors and the abundancies of 5-HT receptor and transporter mRNA in the cortex, hippocampus, and dorsal raphe of three strains of rat.” Brain Res 638:311–324.

Csoka, Antonei B., and Moshe Szyf. "Epigenetic side-effects of common pharmaceuticals: a potential new field in medicine and pharmacology."Medical hypotheses 73.5 (2009): 770-780.

de Gouvea, Andre, and James Jenkins. "Survey of lepton number violation via effective operators." Physical Review D 77.1 (2008): 013008.

Gartside, S. E. et al. “Interaction between a Selective 5-HT1A Receptor Antagonist and an SSRI in Vivo: Effects on 5-HT Cell Firing and Extracellular 5-HT.” British Journal of Pharmacology 115.6 (1995): 1064–1070. Print.

Gobbi G, Murphy D, Lesch K, and Blier P. jpet 296:987-995. 2001.

Haake et al. "Specificity of the neuroendocrine response to orgasm during sexual arousal in men." Journal of Endocrinology 177.1 (2003): 57-64.

Koek, W., et al. "F 11440, a Potent, Selective, High Efficacy 5-HT1AReceptor Agonist with Marked Anxiolytic and Antidepressant Potential." Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics 287.1 (1998): 266-283.

Leiblum, Sandra R., and David Goldmeier. "Persistent genital arousal disorder in women: case reports of association with anti-depressant usage and withdrawal." Journal of sex & marital therapy 34.2 (2008): 150-159.

Montgomery, A. M. J., I. C. Rose, and L. J. Herberg. "5-HT1A agonists and dopamine: the effects of 8-OH-DPAT and buspirone on brain-stimulation reward." Journal of Neural Transmission/General Section JNT 83.1-2 (1991): 139-148.

Murphy D, Lerner A, Rudnick G, and Lesch K. “Serotonin Transporter: Gene, Genetic Disorders, and Pharmacogenetics.” MI April 2004 vol. 4 no. 2109-123

Penington NJ, Fox AP. “Effects of LSD on Ca++ currents in central 5-HT-containing neurons: 5-HT1A receptors may play a role in hallucinogenesis.”J Pharmacol and Exp Ther.1994;269(3):1160–1165.

Piñeyro GBlier P. “Autoregulation of serotonin neurons: role in antidepressant drug action.” Pharmacol Rev. 1999 Sep;51(3):533-91.

Riad M, Garcia S, Watkins KC, Jodoin N, Doucet E, Langlois X, el Mestikawy S, Hamon M, Descarries L J Comp Neurol. 2000 Feb 7; 417(2):181-94.

Richardson-Jones JW et al. “5-HT1A autoreceptor levels determine vulnerability to stress and response to antidepressants.” Neuron. 2010 Jan 14;65(1):40-52.2009.12.003.

Stinson, Rebecca Diane. "The impact of persistent sexual side effects of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors after discontinuing treatment: a qualitative study." PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) thesis, University of Iowa, 2013.

Van Praag, H. M., J. Korf, and J. Puite. "5-Hydroxyindoleacetic acid levels in the cerebrospinal fluid of depressive patients treated with probenecid." (1970): 1259-1260.

Waldinger, Marcel D., et al. "Penile anesthesia in post SSRI sexual dysfunction (PSSD) responds to low-power laser irradiation: a case study and hypothesis about the role of transient receptor potential (TRP) ion channels." European journal of pharmacology 753 (2015): 263-268.

post-5229-0-20813100-1454808148_thumb.png

• 3 months later...

Been reading your thread on the other forum and also the stuff on reddit (unfortunately my brain is now bleeding from all the jargon). I must say that for your age you have a very mature outlook which I think is contributing to your recovery. I think it is very beneficial not to spend your time scouring the journals and fiddling with supplements in the hopes of fixing something which man's meddling with chemistry broke but instead to support your body and mind in a healthy way and give its wisdom a chance to put itself right. I think you have what it takes for this to happen.

It's a hard row to hoe, no doubt about it. Good luck to you!

Had no clue, really, how much men really do think about sex and their 'stuff' and how fine grained their descriptions can get. Wow. I had the problem while on SSRIs but it went away on its own a couple years off drugs. Now I don't even think about it much because I'm an old lady now. So it's been hard to see why all the fuss but your story helped me see it in a different light.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Been reading your thread on the other forum and also the stuff on reddit (unfortunately my brain is now bleeding from all the jargon). I must say that for your age you have a very mature outlook which I think is contributing to your recovery. I think it is very beneficial not to spend your time scouring the journals and fiddling with supplements in the hopes of fixing something which man's meddling with chemistry broke but instead to support your body and mind in a healthy way and give its wisdom a chance to put itself right. I think you have what it takes for this to happen.

It's a hard row to hoe, no doubt about it. Good luck to you!

Had no clue, really, how much men really do think about sex and their 'stuff' and how fine grained their descriptions can get. Wow. I had the problem while on SSRIs but it went away on its own a couple years off drugs. Now I don't even think about it much because I'm an old lady now. So it's been hard to see why all the fuss but your story helped me see it in a different light.

Thanks! I'm glad I could help you get another perspective, and I appreciate the kind words!

Hoping you the best as well (and that I can get through it all too)

• 11 months later...

hey ghost,

have you experienced any improvement with libido and soft glans? I experience the same following Lexapro use

what can help? 

thank you

2004-2007 paxil

2015- zoloft 3 months zyprexa 3 months lexapro 3 months xanax

Med free since Feb 28th 2017

Mostly experiencing PSSD

Hey Bobo,

I haven't had any recovery in these symptoms, and I have these problems still.

Libido has not been as damaged for me as it has for others, and my libido is still fairly high. Soft glans is still a problem, however.

There are a lot of things that might be able to help:

https://pssdlab.word...hat-weve-tried/

https://pssdlab.wordpress.com/faq/

https://pssdlab.word...pssd-resources/

Hope this helps!

Ghost