bintuae: Prozac to wean off Paxil

bintuae

I posted here instead of the 'reinstating' thread hoping to get more replies. My use of ADs and withdrawal is a long story. I barely have the motivation to write and my mental capacity is that of a kid, but basically after tapering off Prozac, my WD was getting worse by the day.  First months it was very minimal and I was happy that I escaped Paxil WD hell. I thought the recovery will take a short time. 3 months in,  I realized I didn't escape no hell. It was the same WD symptoms as paxil justt the difference is it was very gradual increasing in intensity bit by bit. I panicked. It was not the suitable time at all to play the waiting game. I was broke no job nothing a nervous wreck sitting on my ass all day everyday constantly fighting in the house (thanks to WD symptoms).

So i went on lamictal which the only thing it relieved is the mood. After about a month, I went back on Paxil but the WD got worse instead of better. Prozac did the same thing. I know this forum is for ditching ADs (yeah I'm very much determined to do this but only when the time is right) but has anyone been in my situation before? please guys advise. I feel like I'm totally losing it. 

2009-2014= Paxil CR 12.5mg increased to 25 then 50mg. // Late 2014= reduced to 25mg then switched to regular Paxil 20mg.

July 2015= 10mg // Aug 2015= 5mg // Sep 26, 2015= Paxil free // Oct 2015= minimal WD- glimpse of pre-Paxil self // Nov 2015= WD hit HARD. Increased anxiety, irritability, depression, extreme confusion, concentration problems, intolerance to stress. // Dec 2015= reinstated 5mg // Jan 2016= switched to Prozac 20mg every other day. // Feb 2016= Prozac 20mg every third day // Mar 2016= Prozac free // April 2016= WD symptoms started gradually (anger, anxiety, memory problems). Started taking Lamictal 25mg.  

I think it might be called kindling. Your brain has to struggle to adjust each time there's a change in medication. You got off Paxil it seems. And went to Prozac, your brain had to adjust to no Paxil then introduction of new drug. So you likely had withdrawal and start up side effects. Then you got off Prozac. A big change to adjust to. Then you started drug. Again another change so you are likely still experiencing withdrawal plus start up side effects. brain is struggling to adjust.

I think if you write how much you were on. And how much you are now the mods can probably advise you on what your options are

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

got back on Paxil starting with the lowest possible dose 2,5 then 5 mg for 2 months. I became in terrible condition. completely clumsy, stupid like in a drunk state the whole time along with the horrible WD symptoms. The dissociated spaced out feeling got to 100%. Can you imagine all this from a very low dose? After sometime, I went to 20mg (as per doc's instruction) and everything became much worse. I literally felt like I'm floating in the air. Then switched to  Prozac 10 mg for a month and a half and same thing albeit to a bit lesser degree. I'm off off them did not feel any electric shocks or physical symptoms but I'm still in that aforementioned terrible condition. Is that it for me? :(

P.s only thing good about them is they fixed my severely irritable mood!!

2009-2014= Paxil CR 12.5mg increased to 25 then 50mg. // Late 2014= reduced to 25mg then switched to regular Paxil 20mg.

July 2015= 10mg // Aug 2015= 5mg // Sep 26, 2015= Paxil free // Oct 2015= minimal WD- glimpse of pre-Paxil self // Nov 2015= WD hit HARD. Increased anxiety, irritability, depression, extreme confusion, concentration problems, intolerance to stress. // Dec 2015= reinstated 5mg // Jan 2016= switched to Prozac 20mg every other day. // Feb 2016= Prozac 20mg every third day // Mar 2016= Prozac free // April 2016= WD symptoms started gradually (anger, anxiety, memory problems). Started taking Lamictal 25mg.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged (you started a topic called "Worse Withdrawal after Reinstating")  - this is the place to ask questions about your experience, your story, your symptoms.  Bookmark your introduction thread, and moderators will watch your questions here.  It is the best place to keep track of things and get information specifically for you.

I must go now, but will look in later.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Bintuae - 

I think you are suffering destabilization from every-other-day tapering.

Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms

Your taper, including the bridge to Prozac, was not a steady one.  

You are still only a year out from when your symptoms first started.  I know it seems like a long time, but have patience with yourself.

It does get better.

Learn to have curiosity about your symptoms.  Look for things - like Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil which may help you.  There is a whole list of "what works, what doesn't," here:  Symptoms and Self Care

The better you are able to live through your experience, not denying it, not giving it power over you - but just - acknowledging it:  oh, symptoms again.  The better you will be able to heal.  Curiosity is a key piece in healing, and Gratitude is another.

Mindfulness and Acceptance

I hope you see the sun today!

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

I appreciate your comments, guys. Yeah, I know I did a big mistake. I wish I just tapered Paxil rather than using the Prozac bridge method. I hated the time when I took Prozac. I suffered initial side effects but then it started to work and I was OBSESSED with everything career-related.  litterally dying to get a job. This to me isn't normal. I'm starting to think reinstating will never work. Before I reinstated Paxil and then Prozac, I was off meds for 2-3 months. God help me. 

Hey Bintuae - 

I think you are suffering destabilization from every-other-day tapering.

Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms

Your taper, including the bridge to Prozac, was not a steady one.  

You are still only a year out from when your symptoms first started.  I know it seems like a long time, but have patience with yourself.

It does get better.

Learn to have curiosity about your symptoms.  Look for things - like Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil which may help you.  There is a whole list of "what works, what doesn't," here:  Symptoms and Self Care

The better you are able to live through your experience, not denying it, not giving it power over you - but just - acknowledging it:  oh, symptoms again.  The better you will be able to heal.  Curiosity is a key piece in healing, and Gratitude is another.

Mindfulness and Acceptance

I hope you see the sun today!

Based on blood tests, I'm deficient in iron which explains my severe hair fall, slow hair growth and brittle nails. So, I started taking an iron supp. Unfortunately however, it worsened my WD symptoms. Then, I tried B complex (responded very horribly) and multi vitamins and same thing. Before experiencing withdrawal, I wasn't sensitive to vits at all. Strangely, taking only vitamin D did not do any horrible things. My vit D which was very low is now at sufficient level. 

• Moderator Emeritus

We have cautions against B vitamins (Hypersensitive to B Vitamin or B-Complex) especially when taken in a complex, and sometimes taking iron supplements is not the best answer for low iron.  They are actually hard to digest, and cause other problems with uptake of other vital nutrients.  I found that diet is the way to get iron.   I used to take blackstrap molasses for iron.  I never developed a taste for it, but it worked, without the digestive problem of pills.  I now have chicken livers for breakfast - I will fry up a week's worth, and have a few each day, to top up my iron and vitamins.   Chinese medicine recommends red meat.  Iron in vegetables is harder to get because it is bound up with other minerals that block it.

Like Magnesium, which is used in 300 interactions in the body.  

Look into magnesium and fish oil.  I would try the fish oil first, slowly, gradually, build it up to 4-8 capsules per day.  You may not feel anything, but it is doing good things.

Then, when you've settled into a fish oil routine, consider adding magnesium.

Please read the topics I've sent you about these vital supplements to decide.

It does get better - but it takes time and patience.

http://www.recovery-road.org/acceptance

Thank you for the invaluable information, JanCarol. Yeah I'm gonna start taking fish oil and magnisum.  hope they help even a bit. Best wishes :) 

Hi Bintuae! It's so lovely to see you, my heart goes out to in such a state xxx big hugs honey xxx

Looking at the way the drugs were stopped and started and how your body responded, there seems little doubt that the way you feel now is all withdrawal related.  Which is bad news but also good, because it means with time, you will recover!

Feeling the way you do, you might find it extremely difficult not to make another appt to see your doctor and then be prescribed a new drug which the doc will assure you will resolve your condition. But we know better by now. It seems unlikely that anything other than your time and energy focused on the self-care and self-loving approach that JanCarol suggests will get you to recovery.

I'd love to hear how you're going xxxmollyn

Drug history

• 20mg paxil in 2001 - 4 months use  
  • 20mg paxil in 2003 - 2 months use 
  • 20mg paxil in 2008 - 8 years continuous

Withdrawal history:

• March 2014 - disastrous alternate day taper
  • Jan 2015 - 15mg to 10mg. Disaster
  • Sept 2015 -  10mg to 5mg. Disaster. Reinstated to 6mg. Relief
  • Oct 2015 - started slow 10% taper 
  • Oct 2016 - at 4mg- stop taking paxil (not recommended)

I'm not a medical professional. Seek advice from a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

MollyN - Thank you, darling. Glad to see you here too. <33

I'm taking it one day at a time. I find only time I feel better is when I'm by myself alone in my room. with no outside noise nothing. It feels so relaxing. I just want to void the triggers but this is not possible because nearly everything is a trigger. and yeah it's very hard not to think about going back on an antidepressant. I see you're off Paxil and only having cognitive issues? 

My advice: feel the pain when the trigger comes. Don’t resist it. Definitely don’t think about it as that’s a form of resistence. Take whatever it throws at you in the safe knowledge that it won’t kill you. These are mandatory steps you’ll have to take to reclaim freedom. Obviously the pain is greater now due to the withdrawal process, but how are you never gonna have a reaction? Don’t be the slave of your mechanical reactions, your triggers. Obviously they are there but don’t try to escape them. Face them.

This is also what they do in meditation: seeing all that currently is, without adding anything (thought, interpretations, judgement).

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg