Spookypaws: Has anyone successfully tapered off zyprexa?

Spookypaws

I'm having a hard time taper off 2.5 mg of zyprexa. I went every other day for 7 days then quit taking it and only managed to go two nights before insomnia and anxiety kicked in. I'm on zyprexa for sleeping anyway, is there hope for me getting off this drug?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Been on these meds since March 2015 the luvox since jan. 2015

Successfully tapered off klonopin 2 mg In June 2015.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spookypaws

• Meimeiquest

• Altostrata

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Of course. Go to the Introductions forum and search for "zyprexa"

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Does anyone have any tips for tapering off zyprexa? I'm pretty desparate..

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

I took it for six years, 15 to 5 mg. I have been off a bit over 2.5 years. 2.5mg is way too large a dose to jump off from. Hopefully you have seen the Zyprexa tapering thread by now. Good luck!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• Moderator Emeritus

Go here to read about tapering Zyprexa.  I pulled this up by entering 'taper zyprexa' in the tapering sub fprum.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

I moved this thread to the Introductions and Updates forum.  Please fill out a sig. line with a brief history.  One of the AD moderators will be along shortly to give you a further assist.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Administrator

Welcome, Spookypaws.

Please let us know more about your situation. How much Zyprexa are you taking? How long have you been taking it? Are you taking any other drugs.

Thank you, Skyler, for starting Spookypaws's Intro topic and giving her the informative link Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm trying :)

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

I've managed in the past 2 months to go from 7.5 mg to 2.5 mg. I tried to taper off a week ago but got such bad insomnia and anxiousness that my psychiatrist told be to just stay on 2.5. The last two nights I've gotten such fragmented sleep and today I've been so anxious, it comes in waves like a half hour I feel crappy and then the next I feel fine. I'm afraid tonight I won't sleep, and insomnia is the whole reason I'm on these drugs. Should I updose to 5 mg to see if I get better sleep?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

Spookypaws, please put your questions in this Intro topic. You won't have to repeat yourself and we can see your progress all in one place.

If I were you, I might updose to 3.5mg Zyprexa. How to take small doses is explained in Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Ok sorry for that. I've been on zyprexa since March along with luvox, gabapentin, and and trazadone. I would also add I was on klonopin too, but got off that 2 months ago. I had a panic attack last December which started this whole thing, I didn't sleep for 4 days.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

That's a lot of drugs for a panic attack. Please put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

Drug Interaction Report

Drug interactions for the following 4 drug(s):

Unsaved Drug List Email | Print | Save | New list

gabapentin

trazodone

Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Consumer

Professional

Major Moderate Minor Food

Interactions between your selected drugs

trazodone ↔ fluvoxamine

Applies to: trazodone, Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Using traZODone together with fluvoxaMINE can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

trazodone ↔ gabapentin

Applies to: trazodone, gabapentin

Using traZODone together with gabapentin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

trazodone ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: trazodone, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using traZODone together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

gabapentin ↔ fluvoxamine

Applies to: gabapentin, Luvox (fluvoxamine)

Using gabapentin together with fluvoxaMINE may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

gabapentin ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: gabapentin, Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using gabapentin together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

fluvoxamine ↔ olanzapine

Applies to: Luvox (fluvoxamine), Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Using OLANZapine together with fluvoxaMINE may increase the effects of OLANZapine. Contact your doctor if you experience drowsiness, agitation, aggression, slurred speech, confusion, increased heart rate, jerky or uncontrolled muscle movements, trouble breathing, or fainting. If your doctor does prescribe these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special test to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

the luvox is for Racing thoughts and OCD and I had some serious depression going on as well.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

Your drug cocktail is very eccentric for any psychiatric diagnosis. The doctor who prescribed them must believe in the "one drug per symptom" philosophy. Certainly prescribing gabapentin, trazodone, and Zyprexa together is excessive -- they all "brakes."

It's a lot of drugs and, as you can see, some bad interactions. Risking serotonin syndrome is a big drug-prescribing no-no. Even if they're not so intense you feel them, these interactions degrade your general health. They can also cause "racing thoughts and OCD and some serious depression."

See Serotonin Syndrome or Serotonin Toxicity

Please read some of the other Introductions topics. You will see many people have gotten extensive psychiatric diagnoses for what turns out to be the normal stresses of daily living.

To go off drugs successfully, you will need to learn to manage your symptoms with non-drug techniques, which is entirely possible.

The drop from 5mg to 2.5mg olanzapine has in the past cause intractable insomnia for me, then dropping to nil was the same with insomnia.  I went 6-9 months being olanzapine free and I still had insomnia.  I think it's just to much of shock to the nervous system to make these drops.  At the moment I'm on 3.85mg and overall I have been sleeping okay.

You really can't cut the pills accurately so I hope you get the orodispersible tablets or the wafers that will dissolve in water and make tapering easy and accurate for you.

Olanzapine 10mg  Dec 2007 - Jun 2008

Olanzapine 10mg Sep 2009 - Apr 2010

Olanzapine 10mg Aug 2010 - April 2011

Olanzapine 10mg Jan 2012 - Jun 2012

Lithium 800mg Jun 2012 - Dec 2013

Lorazapam 1mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Diazepam 2mg Nov 2012 - Dec 2013

Olanzapine 20mg Jan 2014 to May 2014

Olanzapine 5mg May 2014 - May 2015

tapering 0.1mg every 7 days

1mg melatonin

• Administrator

Thank you for that excellent information, Katy.

Spookypaws, please read Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Another night of fragmented sleep. I took only 2.5mg last night, but I'm thinking of up dosing tonight back to 5mg to see if that helps. I feel like I'm on a merry go round and will never recover.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

Spookypaws, it will take some time for your nervous system to recover from skipping doses and quitting. You were only taking 2.5mg before.

Please read About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

If you go up to 5mg, that will be that much more to taper off.

What do you suggest alto? I really need some sleep, and going down to 2.5 seems to not be working. I was on 7.5, then went to 5mg, then that same month went to 2.5mg, then tried to taper off. When I suffered complete insomnia my dr. Put me back on 2.5, but it's not working..I'm desperate here..

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

You might try 3mg. Don't get antsy and overdo it.

Have you read Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine) ? It explains how to take small amounts.

You need to read the link on tapering Zyprexa that was noted above. You are going to need to make dosages in between the tablet sizes at some point. Read some of the threads on insomnia, there are many ideas. It is such a common problem.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Thanks for the advice. I did read the article, but I get confused on making my own liquid. I have a pill splitter, I can do that, but I'm confused on how to make my own liquid and how to measure out the 10% from what I should take. Maybe someone can help me, but first I need to get stable. I'll try 3.75 tonight and see if that works I don't know how to cut only 1 mg from 2.5 mg tablet, I can cut one in half though.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Well I slept better last night I'm pretty sure, but I'm going to see my psychiatrist tomorrow to talk about the medications and see what she wants me to do. I took 3.75mg last night and I feel ok today. I just wish I could get off this poison.

Can someone explain to me how to do a liquid titration, and how to cut 1% out of the solution. It's really confusing to me.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spooky... you would benefit from looking thru the information on the tapering sub forumHow to make a liquid from capsules. Taper by 10% of my dosage.  While it may sound complicated to make a liquid solution, it really is very easy once you get the hang of it...  

Hi Spooky-- Not need to get confused about making the liquid and using it.  Skyler pointed you toward a really good thread about making liquid solutions;

How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

There is also a good one on how to use it;

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques

How long have you been on the 3.75 mg and how are you taking that dose?  If you haven't been taking it at that lever very long it would be a good idea to stabilize for a while before starting a taper.

It would be very helpful if you would fill out a signature block with all your meds and taper history;

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature      

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I read it but I'm still confused. How would I make a1:1 solution from 3.75mg? I know I crush that amount into my container but how much water would I add? And do I draw out the amount I want to take or do I draw out the amount of reduction I'm making?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

What is the milligram size of your Zyprexa tablet?

I was on 2.5, but now I'm taking 3.75. That might change tomorrow though when I see my psychiatrist. I'm so angry the doc at the hospital put me on this med, I wish they tried something else for sleeping besides this. I'm fearful to take this drug and I'm fearful not to. I hate zyprexa even if I do feel ok on it.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

What is the size of your Zyprexa tablet before you cut it up?

It's a 2.5 mg tablet

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Administrator

This is how you might make a suspension to take 3.75mg (or less):

- Measure out 10mL water into a clean jar.

- Put 2 2.5mg tablets in it. Wait until they dissolve. You will have 5mg Zyprexa in 10mL water (1:2 concentration or 1mg in 2mL).

- Put the cap on and shake the jar gently.

- With a 10mL oral syringe, take 7.5mL of the liquid, which contains 3.75mg Zyprexa.

• Administrator

If you read Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine) , you will see you can make a liquid with the Zyprexa orodispersible wafers as well.

Another night of not sleeping well. I'm probably going to have to go back to 5 mg I see my psychiatrist today so we'll see what she says. I hate this so much I feel like a failure and like I don't want to live anymore, my family deserves better than a shell of a person.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

And thanks for the layout Alto, I'll see what the doc says today. I'll probably have to go back to 5 mg again

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

I'm not on it anymore, but I was. Really messed me up. I've been off it since january but had to take it a few times intermittently. I still take 100 mg of seroquel. I know how hard it is. Hang in there!

Once you get low, you may want to give microtapering a go with the orodispersible tablets. I think 10% is too much when you get low.  

2007-2010 - adderall, vyvanse, klonopin, prozac, symbyax, ativan, klonopin, seroquel, gabapentin, lyrica, concerta, lithium, elavil,  

2011-2014 - adderall, vyvanse, gabapentin, celexa, cymbalta, intuiv, tegretol, lamictal, risperdal, zyprexa, trazondone, wellbutrin

May 2014 - Vyvanse - 70 mg, gabapentin 3200 mg, zyprexa - 20 mg

August 2014 - Gabapentin 800 mg, zyprexa 10 mg

October 2014 - Attempted to taper off of zyprexa completely - did not succeed, gabapentin 900 mg

January 2015 - Zyprexa 5 mg, switched to seroquel @ 100 mg, gabapentin 900 mg 

Feburary 2015 - Seroquel - 50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

March 2015 - Seroquel - 100 mg, zyprexa 5 mg as needed, gabapentin 900 mg

April 2015 - Determined seroquel was useless but remained at 25-50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

May 2015 - Seroquel 50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg, tenex 2mg

June 2015 - Seroquel 50 mg, gabapentin 900 mg

July 2015 - Seroquel upped to 100 mg to stabilize, gabapentin 900 mg, took olanzapine six times 10 mg, tenex 2mg